5/3 Bank / incompetent and unhelpful

I took out a loan with 5/3 and had nothing but problems with them hounding me for additional information during the first few weeks. The whole thing made me want to go somewhere else and get a loan to payoff that loan. However, there is a prepayment penalty until 6 months before payoff.

I always made my payment early or on the due date. When I finally got to the 6 month mark, I called and got a payoff then went directly to the bank to payoff the loan. I asked the teller if there was any per diem, she told me no. She took the money and gave me a receipt.

Then, instead of getting the release of lein, I got a late notice in the mail. I called the customer service department. After going through the telephone maze and pushing what seemed like a thousand buttons, I finally got a live person. He was nice enough but could not understand why there was a late charge assessed when it showed that a large payment had been received. He then transferred me to his supervisor Charles who was rude and condesending. He said the teller was incompetent and did not do her job right. He refused to resolve the issue and send my release of lein stating I owed more money. He refused to let me talk to his supervisor and kept telling me "this is how it is going to be". I was absolutely livid by the time I hung up on him.

I called back, went through the telephone maze again trying to contact the senior vice president's office that signed the late notice I received. They refused to put my call through or give me his office number. I left a message but don't hold out much hope of ever hearing from him - especially after reading all the internet complaints today.

I will NEVER do business with this bank again. All I want is a relase of lein.

Tm

Comments

• Al
      27th of Oct, 2010

Fifth Third Bank is stealing from us. We had a car loan from a GM dealer and 5 3 would not let us pay it off. They refused to give us the account number so that we could pay it off. Before the first payment was due, we paid over 95% of the loan amount. this was the amount they told us was due. They next harassed us on Saturday, threatening us that we were in default. We finally overpaid the loan.
    We also had an extended warranty which we immediately cancelled three days after getting the loan giving us a total refund. This was part of the loan we had with 5 3 bank. They were to refund this warranty cost in full. We never received the refund check. After many calls to 5 3 bank in which they said a check was sent, they told us another check was being sent. We received a check dated the day after that last call. We deposited it in our local bank. Two weeks later, 5 3 bank stopped payment on the check effectively stealing money out of our account. Not only that, our bank charged us a fee for this. We have been calling 5 3 bank for a week and they keep giving is the run around. This is common theft. They have no intention of giving us our money back. They will not let us talk to anyone but a telephone screener.
    My advice is to run as fast as you can from Fifth Third Bank. If not, you will regret it.
    Alex Peele, Olathe, K S

• At
      11th of Jul, 2012

5 3 is extremely poor at answering questions about accounts and loans and other financial matters, either phone, mail or email. I'm regretting doing business with this 5 3 Bank.