CIC Triple AdvantageUnauthorized billing!

A

This isn't a complaint against the company, I'm just giving out information to everyone that's going to complain on the company. I've dealt with FreeCreditReport.com before and have NEVER had any trouble with the website, nor have I been billed. All I had to do was READ THE WEBSITE. If you go onto FreeCreditReport.com before you even put your name in to get the report it says the following:

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

ConsumerInfo.com and Freecreditreport.com are not affiliated with the annual free credit report program. Under a new Federal law, you have the right to receive a free copy of your credit report once every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies. To request your free annual report under that law, you must go to www.annualcreditreport.com."

So... they're already letting you know you have 30 days to cancel the membership you're joining. Just in case you don't catch that one, right after you put in your credit card number it also says this:

"Payment Information:

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 30-day trial period, you will be billed $12.95 for each month that you continue your membership. If you are not satisfied, you can cancel at any time to discontinue the membership and stop the monthly billing; however, you will not be eligible for a pro-rated refund of your current month's paid membership fee. "

So... it LITERALLY tells you "Hey, if you don't cancel, you'll be billed for our monitoring service, but if you cancel you won't be billed." Now if you want to cancel... it's quite a simple process. You go to FreeCreditReport.com and click on the button that says "CONTACT US." And when you click there, lo and behold it says : "CANCEL MEMBERSHIP. If you would like to cancel your membership, for your security, please call our toll-free number at [protected]."

So, if you people who are complaining about the site would actually take a second to read the words on there other than "FREE" you'd know why you're being billed. Also, I don't know if it's just my personal common sense, but any time a company says something is "FREE" and they ask for any type of PAYMENT INFORMATION I backtrack and re-read the website. Just a tip for all of you who plan to launch a complaint on CIC/Triple Advantage.

• Kr
    KRDS Dec 17, 2009

We not only had our credit card billed over $100 but our checking account was also billed $14.95 per month. I was told to file a police report and a subpoena to have our fees removed. They also gave their "Consumer Relations Group" fax no. [protected]. I have filed a complaint the with Better Business Bureau, WI Department of Finance, and about to file one with the FTC. If enough people are having issues with this company and their affiliates, it is preditory marketing. I am nearly certain that anyone who defends this service is vested in some form in the company. It is sick. I did research on CIC Triple Adv and the article stated over 1.25 million dollars in FTC fines, 10, 000 complaints and multiple class actions lawsuits. How can you defend a company that has obviously duped many consumers?

• Zi
    Zinaida Apr 23, 2009

I have actually CALLED TO CANCEL my membership DURING THE 9 DAYS it's supposed to be free! I read between the lines! And I was told the membership was canceled. But I still got charged for it.

This is called deliberate lie, and this cannot be expkained by a paragraph I was supposed to read but didn't. This is not a scam anymore, it's a FRAUD.

• Co
    Coloradopapa Feb 14, 2009

I was fortunate that I saw an unauthorized charge on my credit card credit card a couple weeks after I had logged onto this website for a "free" credit report. They had automatically enrolled me into their scam for $14.95 per month. They agreed to cancel the "membership" but would not refund the $14.95. A complaint to the credit card comapny said they would credit me and bill back to CIC Triple Advantage. Keep away fro their websie for a "free" report. Apparently, they have a "fine" print somewhere that enrolls you into their scam.

• Fr
    Frustrated User Dec 23, 2008

I was billed without my knowledge for monthly access to my credit report. When I called to cancel, the representative was extremely evasive and difficult. It took more than 7 attempts for me to communicate that I wanted to have my account canceled. I remained persistent and refused to give her my Social Security number. I have not yet received confirmation of my cancellation. Thanks to other comment suggestions on this site, I immediately called my credit card company and had them issue me a new account number and new cards.

• Ry

Telephone Number
    [protected]

• Am
    Amber Oct 03, 2008

I call bull**** on this. The advertisements clearly state "freecreditreport.com" and then they turn around and charge money. What I signed up for was a $1.00 fee (which makes sense) and nothing else. By the way, I did read the fine print. Not sure how small it was, but I will never do this again. I tried to call the number after hours so I will try again tomorrow. I will turn the channel the next time I hear this stupid commercial.

• Dr
    Drew Johnson Sep 29, 2008

seach "free credit report" on google...they should come up as the first SPONSORED LINK company...they pay for every click...they ran up our costs, let's run up there's!!! (but make sure the link say freecreditreport.com because it's not cool if you click on another company's ads)...tell all your friends and family...let's really increase their marketing costs :)

let's not make it too obvious though cuz they can reverse those charges if they catch on...so search "free credit report" but also search "credit report" and "credit score" or "credit check" or just "credit"...switch up what you search, click on their ads from different computers, different locations, different days...and just get a bunch of people to do it

I only encourage this because the way they "earn" their money is unethical...they knowingly trick people

• Gu
    Guillermo Corsino Aug 20, 2008

Unauthorized charge from CIC triple advantage. Being billed for this, which i never authorized. Have to pay my bank charges for overdraft for a payment i never authorized.

• As
    Ashley Aug 15, 2008

I think this is the company that comes from getting a "free" credit report at freecreditreport.com. Guess thats how they afford all those catchy commercials. Heh. You have to call the phone # listed on your bank invoice to get them to stop charging you.

• Ca
    Carol Mather Aug 13, 2008

Yes, I'm another person who had no idea as to why my credit card is being charged automatically. I'm willing to agree that I may have inadvertently signed up to something that I was clueless about, but luckily, the credit card that they're charging is one that I've been planning on closing. I was only waiting to make sure the I didn't have any "valid" automatic billings that I needed to change to a different card before I closed it. I'd seen the charge is the past, but as I used my card for lots of purchases, I disregarded it as being something that I'd purchased and didn't remember. Luckily, the only charge I now see is CIC Triple Advantage (had to run a search to see what it was) and now thanks to all you fine folks, I'll be closing my account tomorrow. I'll let them contact my "customer service" department next month when their charge is rejected due to my closed account. They can contact the FTC is they have a problem.
    On another note, I don't know who the infamous Adam is, but is it really necessary to be vulgar on this website? Also, please check your grammar and typing before insulting someone!
    Have a great day!

g

• In
    in shock Aug 13, 2008

Adam,
    You a [censored].. Please do me (and every other sucker on this site) a favor and kill yourself, you ###.
    thx

• De
    Deborah Gregoire Jul 27, 2008

This must STOP!!! How can you charge my card without my permission???
    I will be reporting this to the BBB. And my account at the bank will be notified.
    I NEVER signed up for monthly reports!
    I would greatly appricate it if you would remove me at this time! Deb Gregoire

janetfloydcolburn Jul 25, 2008

I to have attempted to cancle this account for several months now. I finally got someone to admit that I had a account with these people. I have now been on hold for 10 minutes waiting for cancle information. The clerk kept trying to say I hadn't accessed my information, but was very eager to cancle the account when I mentioned the FTC. I tried to explain that I was never given a user name or pass word so this account was useless for me. I am also contacting my bank to put a red flag on this company. I do plan on reporting them also.

• Lo
    lori dwyer May 23, 2008

unauthorized billing as well...how do I get this to stop?

jochair May 22, 2008

Adam,

If its such a cut and dry, 'okie dokie' business practice...then why are they in trouble with the FTC? See below:

Agency: Federal Trade Commission (FTC)Los Angele
    Description: On August 15, 2005, the FTC filed suit against the company alleging that the company deceptively marketed "free credit reports" by not adequately disclosing that consumers automatically would be signed up for a credit monitoring service and charged $79.95 if they didn't cancel within 30 days, in violation of federal law. The suit also alleges that the Defendant's practice of causing the annual $79.95 charges to be assessed for payment without the consumers' express, informed consent causes, is likely to cause, or has caused, substantial injury to consumers that is not reasonably avoidable by consumers themselves and is not outweighed by countervailing benefits to consumers or competition. In addition, the suit claims that from December 1, 2004 to at least March of 2005, Defendant failed to disclose or to disclose adequately in their advertisements or on their websites that the "free" credit reports they were offering were not associated with the annual free credit report program pursuant to the FACT Act, but rather a commercial promotion, and that consumers cannot obtain their statutorily-mandated free report through the company's websites.

To settle the suit, the Defendants, without admission as to the allegations in the complaint, agreed in part, to be permanetly enjoined from: misrepresenting expressly or by implication that consumers can obtain a free product, program, or service at no cost or obligation, or misrepresenting the amount of any charge or fee. The Defandants must also disclose in their advertising the fees associated with the service, its terms, and that under federal law you have the right to receive a free credit report available at www.annualcreditreport.com and that they are not affilliated with the annual free credit program. The Defendants were also ordered to provide refunds to any consumers who qualify and enrolled between November 1, 2000 and September 15, 2003. In addition, the Defendants are to pay $950, 000 as disgorgement of profits and any refund checks that are not cashed as to the consumers who qualify are also to be remitted to the US Treasury.
    Date of Action: 8/15/2005

Agency: Federal Trade Commission (FTC)Washington
    Description: On January 8, 2007 Consumerinfo.com entered into a Stipulated Judgment and agreed to an Order for Permanent Injunction to settle charges that the company's "free credit report" offer failed to explicitly disclose that subscribers would be automatically signed up into a paid credit-monitoring program.

The FTC charged that ConsumerInfo.com had engaged in deceptive marketing practices through requiring credit card information for consumers to purchase their "free credit report, " then billing them $79.95 annually unless they opted out within 30 days. ConsumerInfo.com was also charged with violating the terms of a previous settlement with the FTC over similar practices in August 2005. The previous settlement required the company to pay $950, 000 in penalties, as well as requirements for prohibiting the company from engaging in deceptive business practices.

The 2007 Order requires that the company more clearly disclose the terms and conditions of their services. The company agreed to pay $300, 000 in Civil penalties, and is prohibited from advertising any of its services as related to the free annual credit reports consumers can receive each year from the major credit bureaus, under the terms of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The Order was entered without admission of guilt or wrongdoing by the company and was for settlement purposes only. Upon entry the Order was finalized.

* * * * *

For those that say NO credit report is free:

All Americans are entitled to one free credit report each year from each of the three major credit reporting agencies -- Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union. The free credit reporting service recently marked its first anniversary of availability across the 50 states. To get a copy of your free annual credit report, you can; call [protected]; visit their website at www.annualcreditreport.com; or file a written request for your report to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA [protected]. AnnualCreditReport.com is the only official site for free credit reports.

It is deceptive marketing or else thousands wouldn't be making the same mistakes. I guess Adam is a paid shill for the company. No one but an employee would spout the drivel that he is.

• Ca
    cary hasselbacher May 10, 2008

I checked my FREE credit report and have now been charged $14.95. I want this money put back and I want my name taken off this company!

• Mi
    Mike May 06, 2008

I was also duped, so I called the number I found on this website (after googling it), and told them to cancel my membership and refund my money. They said I had agreed to signing up for the service while checking my credit report. I told them I did it all via BlackBerry so the fine print never showed up. They said they will refund my money and send e-mail confirmation.

• El
    Elizabeth May 01, 2008

Adam,
    I find your remarks quite condescending. I like others signed up for the service about 6 months ago, and was charged. I called them and successfully canceled it, only to find that this month I've been charged again!!! Not only do they make it difficult to unsubscribe, it appears they take the liberty to re-subscribe you. I'm back on the phone trying to cancel. Watch your account closely. Even if you did cancel, another charge may pop up.

• As
    Ashraf Mohammed Apr 23, 2008

Hi,

I visited the website FREECREDITREPORT.COM for a look at my credit report. However I signed up using my Bank check card and agreed to the terms for the 7 days trial membership. after reading the terms and conditions which I have a copy of from that same day 4/ 19/2008 (just so that it does not change from then to now. I viewed my experian report, but then on the top of that report there wwas abox with an option that saids view all three report so i clicked on it and the three reports came up on the screen. Two days after I saw a charge for $39.95 from my bank account from CIC*Creditreport. the website saids 7 DAYS TRIAL MEMBERSHIP WITH TRIPLE ADVANTAGE (MONITOR ALL 3 REPORTS- KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON TRANSUNION, EQUIFAX AND EXPERIAN. This was one of the triple advatage that they spopke.
    when I called, I got a runaround and was told they wont refund my money.

I was told that to view the other two reports it is a seperate charge which is contrary to what is advertised on the website. I am also aware that comsumerinfo/CRG is part of experian and free creditreport.com so if nothing is done I have recordings of conversations with freecreditreport.com's customer reps and supervisors. Some of these recordings contain acknowledgement that a triple advantage benifit of the the trial period membership includes viewing all three bureaus. I am going to expose freecreditreport.com and make sure they are shut down for this and that they dont do it to anyone else. My Number is [protected]. If this matter is not resolved immediatley I have already began to speak to my advisors. This is not because of $39.95, this is because $500, 000.00 and more you people are ripping of the public.

• Valerie Apr 14, 2008

Very upset that people like me that struggle to live are getting rip off from fraud companies like CIC TRIPLE ADVANTAGE ALSO FREE CREDIT REPORT OT THE OTHER NAME CREDIT REPORT.COM. JUST LIKE OTHERS they have you sign up for a free report then charge your card from your bank account after the free trail. When you go to cancel they really don't and the following month they charge your account again... i have canceled 6 times and they yet to cancel my membership... is there any one out there that can stop these type of fraud companies... maybe dateline could do a story on these companies?

Marie Mar 12, 2008

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANGRY!

I was just scammed too. Unfortunately, my credit card company has not been much help. I had hoped they would remove the fraudulent charges and contact the thieves, but they just told me to call the company that scammed me in the first place (CIC - SUPPOSEDLY FREE credit report) to cancel something I never ordered. Why don’t they prosecute these companies who routinely scam people?
    I found the website when I searched for "Experian free yearly credit report". It appeared to be Experian's website and stated "your credit card WILL NOT be charged. The information is only for verification purposes only."
    They did send me a cancellation notice, but refused to refund my money and when I asked for a supervisor, I was hung up on. I will be filing a complaint with the credit card company, as well as the Attorney General's Office.
    Like it or not Adam, this company's practices are OUTRIGHT DECEPTIVE, and there will be hell to pay if they charge me again after I received the email message from them stating they did cancel the account I never ordered in the first place. From what I've read in these posts, I will be cancelling that particular credit card just in case they decided to try and rip me off again.

• Pa
    Pam Knowles Mar 02, 2008

Free Credit .Com is NOT Free... You realize that you're most likely going to have to pay something for the initial checking of your credit report, but at no time does this rip off company let you know that you will be charged for 12.95 each month. And not only did they charge me 12.95 a month, they also doubled the bill, so I've been getting the shaft for 25.90 each month since July of 2007... I've been charged 154.95 for a FREE credit report.

• Ba
    Barbara Harshey Mar 01, 2008

I was able to revue my credit report on line. Now I am being charged a monthly fee for what? It was a one time credit report, I do not need the credit report or protection every month. Now I know I am being scammed but cannot get them top stop billing me.

• Ka
    Katherine Wren-Orth Feb 13, 2008

I called the toll free number on that appeared on my credit card statement to find out what this charge was. I was told it was some type of insurance. I told them that i had insurance and requested cancellation immediately and to credit my account. 4 months later, i get my card statement and there are 2 charges from cic for 12.95! I called them again, was put on hold for what seemed like forever. Finally i talked to a jason who told me i had an "open" account with them. I explained that i had called 4 months ago to cancel and he told me he had no record of my call. Not surprising! I told him to cancel me pronto and that i was filing a complaint. How can a free credit report cost you 12.95 a month? I am verrry angry.

Andrea McDaniel Feb 10, 2008

Has anyone else noticed that there is an AD with GOOGLE for these idiots ON THIS PAGE???

Some things never cease to amaze me!

Andrea McDaniel Feb 10, 2008

I have been dealing with this idiots since April 2007. I NEVER agreed to having my credit monitored and each month there is a NEW charge..sometimes its 12.00, sometimes its 24.95, sometimes its 20.00. They have told me:

"Your account was refunded in full at cancellation"
    WTF?? I NEVER agreed to a service!!

"your account has been refunded in full and you should see a reflection of such on your next statement"
    Uhm...no, I havent

"these charges are not ours"
    BULLS**t!

Why is it I get a different freakin answer with EACH email I send???

I am no up to over $100 in fradulant charges and I want MY money back!

Andrea McDaniel Feb 10, 2008

I have been going back and forth since APRIL of 2007 to have these idiots remove charges and refund my CC for over 100.00 for charges I DID not authorize. They keep sending me emails telling me these charges were refunded at cancellation, these charges aren't ours, our records indicate your account has been refunded in full"... I can BULL****! I never authorized ANY money to be debited my CC and every month I get a new charge, and every month I send them a letter, and I get a different response.

From the looks of this complaint site... they seriously could care less and who ever owns this company is turning into another ENRON!

These people are ###!

• Wi
    William Harry Johnson Feb 07, 2008

I have not received information from this (whatever you call them) company. I get charged $12.95 on my debit card and im wondering if i just close my account if then they can no longer charge me for something?

• Vi
    Viral Patel Feb 05, 2008

My account was being charged $14.95 ....i did not even check my free credit report for the first time hen i registered as i did not have an access code after i registered as i did change my address....but i went to my old address and found the mail with the access code....but by the time i came back to register with the code my free credit report time was already over so i could not even view my free credit report....and now another crap saying my account has been charged $14.95 towards CIC triple advantage...wht the hell!!!! i was not even given a notice......

this is the worst website i have seen !!!!!

• Br
    Brandy L. Balwinski Jan 13, 2008

On the tv commercials,it states that you must join Triple Advantage for a monthly fee.

• Valerie Jan 02, 2008

Unauthorized to charge my PayPal account $14.95 on Dec. 30 & $14.95 on Dec. 31st. Never heard of this company. People beware of this scam!

• Di
    dingus magillicutty Dec 19, 2007

Frankly, I did read everything and then canceled my membership well within the 30 days and yet STILL got charged - so that is what upset me and becomes a scam. Don't assume people haven't followed the rules and yet still are being falsely charged.

• Ly
    lynneseitz Dec 14, 2007

Please cancel my membership. I feel that I do not need this service. Thank you anyway.

• Ke
    Keith Anderson Dec 04, 2007

I want this account closed, but cannot find a way to do it.

• Am
    Amie St.Germain Nov 28, 2007

I am a fine print reader, and I think I know where the problem arises, because I had the same one as everyone who has complained about the procedure. I didn't go to "freecreditreport.com" by typing it into my browser--I clicked on a link from a real estate agency while shopping for a home. The link didn't bring me to the home page, where the information is displayed rather blatantly. Through the site I was directed to, after reading all fine print, the company actually said I would not be charged a thing, but my credit card was required to get my report. Which isn't unheard of, as any time you apply for a store card, as in a Best Buy account, they have to swipe your card to make sure your information is correct. It was only after getting my report that I received the email with my "terms of service." As I had already used freecreditreport.com several years ago and had NO problem being signed up for something not advertised on the site that signed me up for the credit report.

If you use the web site directly, you know they're enrolling you in something. If you're directed from any outward site, though, you go straight into the sign up, and NONE of the fine print says anything about your automatic enrollment in Triple Advantage.

I'm canceling my membership as we speak. Let's hope that goes well.

• Gi
    Ginger W. Stallings Nov 26, 2007

Have no idea what the $12 charge to my credit card is for. We have not authorized such and never heard of CIC Triple Advantage. Beware people!

• Je
    Jeffrey Taylor Nov 19, 2007

I never gave my credit card number or bank account number to this company, and yet for the last four months I have been charged 12.95. Not only that but I have been charged overdraft charges for these withdrawals. I have had enough and have contacted my bank to start an investigation on this matter. For anyone else that has been charged wrongfully, contact your bank and inform them of this problem, there are things they can do to help.

• Ad
    Adam Nov 06, 2007

To J0hn Westerdale --
    It's not deception. All of the information is on the website, it's plain to see.

CIC*Triple Advantage is FreeCreditReport.com, Triple Advantage is the membership you're enrolling in, and CIC stands for ConsumerInfo.com, the company that provides the monitoring

To Laura:
    MiniCreditReport isn't from the same company as Triple Advantage. I believe from what I've read that's through Equifax. If you call the number on the "CANCEL MEMBERSHIP" line they may give you a refund, though in the terms and conditions on the website it says the monthly membership fees aren't refundable, but i'm sure there are exceptions.

To Meli-
    Obviously this is your problem: You didn't read what I said. This is probably the same reason you had the charge on your card, because you didn't read the part that says "IMPORTANT INFORMATION" in all caps on the website. You click on the button that says "How Do I Cancel My Membership?" and lo and behold there lists the number to call!

So basically everyone who is complaining about how they "didn't authorize the charges" you're just playing the victim card when in fact, you just didn't pay attention. And considering you'll put your credit card number into anywhere it asks you to, you might want to sign up for credit monitoring. I'm sure sometime in the near future Amazon.com is going to be taking unauthorized funds out of your account too, right after you click on "Submit Order"

• Dm
    DM Oct 13, 2007

I was able to get out using the number someone else gave in a previous comment... [protected]. Turns out I agreed to this when I requested a free credit report through Experian's website - freecreditreport.com.

I cannot stand this type of aggressive marketing and it borderlines unethical. Experian now has, what I believe to be a purposely difficult website to maneuver with freecreditreprot.com. Each page takes me to another link or website with marketing scams trying to sell me more services.