Chrysler Pacificasub frame rust

Went to get my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica inspected and was told it was "Unsafe to Drive" due to the front sub-frame being completly rusted through.
Have been told by Chrysler and Military Exchange New Car Sales that they won't cover repairs under the warranty since the car is almost 6 years old.
The inspector said he hasn't ever seen anything like it even on cars 30 years old! Already filed my complaint with NHTSA, everyone check your Chrysler Pacifica and do the same if you've got the problem.

• Valerie Sep 04, 2006

My ex husband called around to have my car key reprogrammed to my car. He called chrysler on Friday spoke to one of the service people. He explained he already had someone put a new PCM chip into the car and now only needed the key to be reprogrammed.

He asked them how much it would be to have a key reprogrammed to a car? They answered $20.00 to $30.00. How long would it take to do? 2 to 3 minutes. Do we need to bring the car there? no.

Tuesday, I, his ex-wife, went to the dealer with the key. I told the man at the front desk my ex called last week about my car. I explained everything that was said to my ex.

He asked me if I had the car here? I said no. I was told I didn't need to bring the car. He said we need the car. He was very arrogant and treated me as I didn't know what I was talking about. I told him my car won't start. He said it would have to be towed.

I told him I will be right back so I can call my ex to find out who he spoke to. He continued to be arrogant and rude as I was leaving.

My ex- called him back on Wednesday. They now said it will cost him $45.00 for the key to be reprogrammed, $85.00 to just check the car before reprogramming the key and, also the service charge. Something that should have been only $20.00 to $30.00 dollars is now going beyond even me.

I called another chrysler dealer wednesday (today). I found out it will cost me a TOTAL of $85.00 to get everything done. I made sure I specified and asked 4 times on how much it will cost and who I was speaking to at this place.

• Be
    Becky Nov 08, 2008

I bought a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country brand new in Oct. of 2003. I paid $25, 000 for it. Two months after the regular warranty ran out, I had to replace the brakes 2x in less than three years, power steering pump, & water pump. As time went on, I also had to replace the power window motor then three months after replacing the moter, the regulator on the motor went out and I had to replace that. we also had to replace the rack and pinion steering and the CD player still selective works after having had it worked on. The last thing that went wrong was that I had to replace the battery because the post on the battery split clean into and the post was stuck in the bracket. My husband was deployed so two of his friends had to come over and help me get the post out and that took an act of congress to get it out. The way I figure, if I buy a brand new vehicle for that much money it should last longer than 3 years before it starts breaking down. I called the company and tried to work something out, but they wouldn't do anything to rectify the situation. Their answer was they couldn't do anything since I didn't buy the extended warranty! Every since then, I have been driving around with the caption "DON'T BUY A CHRYSLER!" on the sides and back window of the vehicle. I've lost track of how many people have asked me about it and by the time I finish telling them, they say there's no way they'd buy one after what I've went through. These corporations think it's okay to stick it to the customer well I'm saying not any more! I'll continue to drive and let people know that Chrysler is not a company that cares about their customers. I know for a fact that I've cost them at least 15 vehicles multiply that by $25, 000 to $35, 000 and the amount of money I've cost them is nothing to sneeze at. Please warn others about Chrysler.

• Ps
    PSR Nov 02, 2009

Here! Here! Becky,

I love your idea with the window captions. I too am in a mess with chrysler. Unfortunately I did my research after buying my 2009 dodge journey. My research showed that half of all journeys leave the factory in the same condition mine is in (too many issues to list here).

I have learned that quality control at chrysler is non-existent. Your approach is the best with the captions. Trying to take chrysler to court would be an exercise in futility however on the other hand, making your situation as public as possible is so much more damaging to the corporation - The internet can be such a powerful tool.

Good luck with your plight and I will keep at them north of the border -

• Sc
    Scaunrlo Jul 12, 2010

We purchased our 2002 van this summer and it has less than 50, 000 current miles. My husband was driving 70 MPH and without any warning the transmission blew up. He is lucky to be alive. It was one of the scariest things he has ever experienced. Since we purchased the car used from a Ford dealer we were never informed about Chryslers extended warranty. The Ford product was cost prohibitive and offered little coverage. We have never owned a Chrysler before this. We have learned since that our car had a non-transferrable 70, 000 mile warranty and that Chrysler began offering transferrable leases immediately after our car. We have also learned that Chrysler has had quite a few problems with transmissions across multiple product lines. We now are faced with a $3000+ repair bill and are without any security that this will not happen again because the Chrysler dealer put the same faulty transmission (ours was unrepairable because it literally blew apart so the dealer ordered a factory rebuild replacement). In our investigation we have learned that Chrysler is making money off of high priced factory rebuilds. We feel like they are frying us in our own grease. We are paying for their faulty workmanship while they continue to profit from poor craftmanship and our family is left without protection from another powertrain failure.

• 20
    2004 Chrysler Pacificia Aug 03, 2010

During an inspection it was discovered that the sub-frame was rotting off of the automobile. The right side welded attachment to the main frame was 70% gone, the left side was 30% gone and most of the welds of the weldment were showing signs of corrosion and fatigue. As this sub-frame serves to support the engine, transmission and some of the suspension components it is an serious accident just waiting to happen. I feel it is the same level of problems that Toyota experienced with the Tacoma pick-up trucks. I believe that Chrysler should have a solution for this unsafe condition before untimely injury and possibly deaths occur.

Joseph Strohman, unhappy owner

• Ri
    rimanza Aug 03, 2010

si tienes razon, en esos tacos las salsas estan agrias

• Se
    senseibill Aug 04, 2010

BIG PROBLEM SHOULD BE A RECALL-------CALL 888-327-4236 and report it.

• 97
    97 Intrepid Dec 19, 2010

I got the same diagnosis from my shop. And I know another Pacifica owner who had the same thing occur. Perhaps Chrysler thinks it can wait. Can anyone say Class action lawsuit?!

• Re
    rexwilliams Feb 03, 2011

oh sorry it was a 2005 Town and Country Mini van

• Br
    Breezy76 Mar 23, 2011

3 years ago I purchased a 2005 Chrysler T & C used with 27k miles on it. Within 2 months I started hearing a jiggling/rattling noise everytime I went over any type of bumps on the road. Took the van in before a road trip and was told that my Tie Rods were bad. Okay...let's fix the problem. Now just last week I started hearing the noise again...took the van in and guess what? the Tie Rods are bad again. Mechanic told me that Chrysler doesn't used a greased option in their Tie Rods so apparently I'm going to have to replace these things every 3 years. Great! Last time I will ever buy a Chrysler product.

• Fe
    fedup Jun 28, 2011

At 46, 000 miles, rack and pinion failed - no warranty... so my expense. The emission system was faulty which they did cover under warranty. The next problem was with a shifting cable which failed while I was vacationing in Myrtle Beach, SC. I made it home but had to pay out of pocket for a new shifter cable.

The latest problem is that the power window is failing. I am told this will cost $300 for the repair.

My car has 83, 000 miles on it and has cost me a bundle out of pocket. Chrysler doesn't care about its customers and won't resolve problems.

• Gl
    glenh2nd Jun 29, 2011

Chrysler hasn't been known to make the best cars. General rule is if you plan on keeping a car for a while buy a 100, 000 warranty. I'm surprised if you haven't had to replace the inner tie rod bushings yet.

• Bi
    BIMAL KAPADIA Dec 07, 2011

I received a letter from chrysler for safety recall for (Clockspring). If clockspring is not working properly than you have a problem in airbag, horn and speed control system which i was having a problem since october 2011. I call chrysler for this issue and i was told to go to any chrysler dealiler. So i went to chrysler dealer they installed the clockspring and my speed control system start working, but horn was not working and electric component which is break light sign came on. So i call chrysler for this issue and they made a case #21471175 under that they took all information and told me to go back to dealer and get fixed the problem and promised me to reimburshed the amount which is $355.22. Now they are not reimburshing as i was promised. Please help me out.

• Sh
    shikarchee Jul 23, 2012

After 10 years I decided to buy American, I guess to help, so I purchased a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 16 month ago, paid 29k for it.
    Now I realize what J stands for, it stands for Junk.
    This car should sell for 15k or less, so far mine has had 4 recalls, 2 are serious: Wheel can come out while driving, and if you do off road, it can catches fire under certain conditions?!?!
    The engine is under power, the transmission sucks, especially in overdrive.
    Inside, the dash is made of cheap plastic, the soft top is hard to put back on, under the rain, once you open the door to exit or get in, all the waters comes inside while car is stationary.
    In order to fold the back seat, you need rope, can you believe it, and you pay 29k and use rope to secure a seat.
    Gas millage sucks, for a SUV this light and small engine, the gas millage is far worse than my Toyota Sequoia with big 8 engine.
    I saw the latest Rubicon (2013) at the dealer with sticker price of 42k, YOU MUST BE AN IDIOT to pay that much for J(unk) eep.
    There so many simple improvements that can be done, but why do it?
    This is a perfect example of American mentality, if it sells, don’t improve anything 
    They should have let Chrysler go belly up.

John Doooo Nov 10, 2012

Big disappointment in a car I thought was going to be solid due to the Mercedes connection. Engine mounts I was told on mine rusting...Don't get it...What quality cars are out there anymore?

djl6579 Feb 04, 2013

I just bought a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica as well. I bought it 2 weeks ago and heard noises the day after i bought it i took it to a shop today and i have the same problem with my PAC, the subframe is completely rusted out .The vehicle was garaged kept from 23, 000 miles up till now . I am the 2nd owner since 23, 000 miles. This PAC was purchased new in Delaware from the 1st owner and has been owned in the state since .

Chrysler did submit a letter and now have a revised letter to cover up their mistakes.

Type this into google search 0004617/#45543 / x26 . This is a letter from Chrysler stating they will replace 2004-2005 Chrysler Pacifica subframes if they are from the salt belt states upto 10yrs 150, 000 miles and here is the link stating what states are salt belt states. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0ec024/598 .. read section #603 of 763.

djl6579 Feb 05, 2013

Here is the actual link for the letter . Owner remains anonymous. The letter does not state in between which dates for certain Vin #s . This letter states any question Pacifica between 2004 and 2005. This is an actual document with Chrysler . I have called Chrysler and read off the Document ID number and the letter they have is word for word but they now have a revised document . Take notice to the number on the top right hand side of the letter. Again this is not a VIN specific letter . So in a class action suit this letter will hold up as in any 2004 or 2005 Chrysler Pacifica meeting the criteria such as the salt belt states within 10yrs 150, 000 miles is covered.

djl6579 Feb 05, 2013

Look at all these complaints !

I wish i kept my honda . Ive never had a honda rust out on me EVER. Nothing rusted out on those and spend how long on a boat getting shipped across sea full of salt water ..lol

• Kh
    Khart Feb 06, 2014

Just found this problem on my 2006 Pacifica which I bought new. Now at 157, 000 miles which is past the posted 150, 000..
    I wonder if Mercedes has the same issues with there crossover vehicles which were supposed to use the same frame..
    I have a Chevy Tahoe which is 20 years old and is in better condition than the Pacifica.. This is deserving of a class action suit, obviously a design defect that potentially puts unknowing drivers at risk... I have been a Chrysler Fan for a long long long time..the dealer I bought the car from went out of business in the 2009 economic melt down.. I guess it will be worth a call and an email to Chrysler, , ,

• Al
    Alineg Feb 22, 2014

I received the same information after having my car inspected. I was going in for an oil change and was told that the subframe should not be looking that bad(extremely rusted and rooted out) for a car that is just a 2005. Been trying to talk to the Chrydler dealer where I bought my Pacifica, wont talk to me, keep on hold. Too bad. Was once a giant amongst car companies.

• El
    Ellis Williams Mar 11, 2014

I have had the same issue. I was told by Chrysler that since the remedy they came up with did not involve replacing the clockspring and the air bag restraint module that I was( in effect SOL) not eligible for a refund. I paid over $500 for replacing both parts while they spent three years coming up with a solution to the problem.

• Th
    Theshana Hanes Mar 21, 2014

I went to get new tires on my 2005 pacifica and was then told my biggest problem was not needing tires. The service tech. brought me into the shop area to show me how bad my subframe is rusted. Theres a line of rust going across entire part that is hollowed out on the inside. This is not an inexpensive problem to fix and my vehicle is not old enough
    to have rust damage to this extent. This is why ive never bought American made cars before.

• Do
    Doug S.. Mar 27, 2014

Same here 2006 Pacifica
    replaced tires and was told to get rid of it before it rots out completely.

this car has always been taken care of and that is the only place where there is any rust.

• Bo
    Bobspacifica Apr 19, 2014

My 2005 pacifica is now unsafe to drive due to rusted frame on passenger side. I purchased the car new and have taken extraordinary care with under body wash to remove crud regularly in winter - every winter since new. That location on the frame is the only material rust and it is EXTENSIVE. Obvious manufacturing defect. No car should have these issues... even 20 year old cars have intact frames!

Jan van Staden May 06, 2014

On the 16 April 2014 I was on holiday when my Jeep Wrangler gearbox failed. It was taken to Union Motors in Shelley Beach.
    Feedback was that the Jeep submerged. I visit the workshop and Shaun the workshop foreman immediately mentioned that the jeep was under water. That was even before they open up the gearbox.
    Since then they just come up with procedures to follow and Jeep head office to decide if it was negligence by the owner.
    I have bought the Jeep a month ago and never touch water. The previous owner also confirmed he never submerged the vehicle.
    The vehicle history show that it was only serviced and a wire harness that was replaced.
    These vehicles are build to 4x4. The gearbox breather point are on top of the engine with a non return valve. How can it get water in.
    The interior show no sign of water damage. They even blame the vehicle to be an in accident.
    It is just unacceptable to try and put the blame on the owner if the vehicle is build to 4x4.The warranty say that the owner is responsible to only use the vehicle what it is build for...to 4x4. In the mean time I am without a vehicle because Chrysler take their time to repair the vehicle.This is my fourth Jeep and I love the brand. Now loving Jeep brand they treat the customer like this. The feedback was that it will cost R43'000.00 to repair or a new one will be R60'000.00. If a mighty company like Chrysler not wanting to repair the car UNDER WARRANTY> Where must I get the money who owe a salary every month get that kind of money. It will just not be fair.I am fighting for survival here.

• Vi
    Victor Loquercio May 27, 2014

I have a 2005 Pacifica with the same problem. Chrysler claims my vin# is not part of the extended warranty.

Typical, deny there is a problem until someone is killed because of vehicle failure. This is my Family's vehicle, I do not plan

on waiting for something bad to happen before I am heard. Hopefully, someone will wake up at Chrysler and see that this

is a problem. Chrysler have some pride in the car that was voted "Car of the Year in 2005" and own up to the problem.

Former Chrysler Owner

Chysler_Stinks Jun 11, 2014

I have been going around and around with Chrysler about this so-called letter. It is true there is an extended Warranty called X26 and it is what the letter states. However, if the car was built within a certain period (which mine is out of) I think about 6 weeks (which during that time, I am sure only a few were made) you car get covered. My PAC is within the guidelines of the letter and CHY will do nothing about it. The engine is ready to fall out! I have and run salt trucks in the northern states that do not have this problem. They aren't kept in a garage like my PAC and they run 20 hours a day for 8 months straight.

Very frustrrated.. they hope we will all just go away

• Je
    Jenne0521 Jul 08, 2014

I am the second owner of a 2005 Pacifica, took it for its 1st oil change after purchasing the car with just over 90, 000 miles on it and I was told to get it to a Mechanic right away that the frame was rotted out severely, meanwhile I have my 3yr old in the back. I called my mechanic and I was told that it was unsafe to drive and has been in the shop since last Monday. Chrysler needs to take responsibility and fix this problem before someone dies! I am petrified to put my child back in that car even after it's fixed!

• Lo
    Lorri L Aug 26, 2014

I am the first owner of a 2006 Pacifica and regularly had it serviced, all at the same Chrysler service location. With no warning at all, I was told that the subframe was completely rusted and the car was unsafe to drive. It was also unsafe to sell it as I would likely be liable for anyone who might have an accident because of this issue.
    I drive my children and their friends regularly in this car and I am astonished that there was a recall on the car, yet it was limited to a very few of the cars.
    We should definitely pursue this as a group and notify the newspapers and the TV stations where everyone lives. There is no excuse for a company to be able to get away with this type of behavior. The Kelly Blue Book value for our car is $8, 925, and if Chrysler doesn't take care of this, we are out this money. We have taken meticulous care of this car and now it appears to be worthless.
    I am starting my letter writing campaign now.

John Derocher Sep 04, 2014

Add another to the list 2004...changed oil oil the weekend ...looked up at frame and saw massive rust ...poked it with wrench and rust just started falling to the ground...big holes on both sides. I am having steel plates welded on to both sides.

Christopher Bechtel Sep 19, 2014

Same here, 2006, bought less than a year ago used from a chrysler dealer. In the shop at that dealer now, told me it wasn't covered under $2500 extended plan. Told them to contact chrysler for me. I'm waiting for their verdict..

• Mb
    MBLR Sep 24, 2014

Badly rotted subframe here too on my 2004 Pacifica, 128K, single owner. I was just in today to get my brakes checked and new tires put on. But the mechanic alerted me to this more serious problem. Shipped me off to the autobody shop for an estimate. I called Chrysler dealership. This car is not within the extended period so they can't help me. I was going to buy another in a few years and was seriously considering the Town & Country bc I like my Pacifica and just needed more room. But NEVER will I buy a Chrysler again. They KNOW about the problem and they are not helping. Bc it would be too costly. But bad PR hurts too. Other car companies stand behind their cars. I've been reading these comments and hear about other companies repairing, giving out loaners, no problem. WTH?!

• Fr
    Frustrated_by_rust Oct 03, 2014

Just failed state inspection... same problem as everyone else. 2005 with 125k, rusted subframe. Only family car that fits our family of 5 and in a real tough spot now. Not sure what to do...

• Cs
    css0813 Oct 27, 2014

I just found out in March that I have the same problem with my subfaframe being rusted in 6 places! The dealership said $2000 to fix and no help from chrysler because I'm out of the warranty range! This is frustrating I will never buy another Chrysler again!

• Er
    Eric J. Cross Nov 14, 2014

I am the current, not original owner of a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica, and in a word it is a piece of crap! This car has cost me thousands of dollars since we purchased it in 2011 with about 75K miles on it. Immediately after purchasing the vehicle we noticed some sort of lurching or loping in the vehicle and took it to several mechanics who could not identify the problem. We were told that it was a throttle positioning sensor but that was not the case. About seven months after purchasing (three days before Christmas if memory serves me correctly) this junk heap had a timing belt snap on it with less than 90K miles on it! The damage ruined Christmas and destroyed our family finances for over a year. When this car was returned I noticed a strange pull in it and it developed an oil leak. In 2012 we went to smog it and found that the Catalytic Converter had gone out in the vehicle. To order the unit from the dealer, because I was told that there were NO CALIFORNIA RATED converters available ANY WHERE, would cost me over $1300 which I refused to pay and had the vehicle impounded for my actions. I finally was able to find a cheaper after market unit in 2014 for just under $500. This scrap heap now is not wanting to pull and it appears it needs motor mounts that will cost me over $200 just to purchase and then take a weekend installing if I do the job myself. I have more than a year and a half to left to pay on this pitiful excuse of a car and I would like some compensation for my families troubles with it. I have a nearly 24 year old Toyota 4Runner that I paid less than $400 bucks for 4 years ago that gives me less grief than this thing has. CHRYSLER YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES for producing such a low quality vehicle! I have read the many postings on this cite and many others that explain all of the problems that people are experiencing with this vehicle yet you choose to sit there stoically claiming innocence in the production of such a low grade product! Several years ago you stood be for the people of this nation begging us assist you and bail you out of the financial mess you had gotten yourself into an now you refuse to repay that assistance, UNBELIEVABLE! Many of us have were struggling to pay for the car when we thought we had purchased a decent vehicle, these burdensome repair costs are dragging many of us under! If there is ever a class action law suit please contact me at [email protected]

• Sn
    Snowbelt Pac Feb 03, 2015

Class action suit was file in January 2015 for the premature engine cradle rust / failure... lets see what happens now!

• Ka
    karrene Feb 09, 2015

I just had Pacifica just had my 2004 Pacifica in for an oil change. They told me I need to get rid of the car as soon as soon as Possible
    because it was unsafe. I am recently divorced with three children I was a stay at home mother. I am not currently emloyed. I desperately need my car . I don't believe how terrible this looks plus the safety of my children is in jeopardy now. Please howI don't believe how terrible this looks plus the safety of my children is in jeopardy now. Please Help us!!! Sincerely, Karrene O'Dowd

• Ra
    ramidei Feb 14, 2015

I have the same problem that everyone is talking about. 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that is just outside the range that Chrysler is willing to fix by a couple months. Not sure what to do with the car now. Chrysler quoted me just over $3000 yesterday to replace the sub frame and said I shouldn't drive the car. Any advice would be helpful. I'm thankful that the class action lawsuit was filed, hopefully we'll see some results with that.

martin lahaie Mar 16, 2015

j'ai acheté un chrysler pacifica 2005 touring sans l'avoir fait inspecter et par après mon garagiste a constaté que mon subframe était pourri et que le véhicule n'est plus sécuritaire à conduire. J'ai appelé chez mon concessionnaire et il n'y a aucun rappel sur mon véhicule !

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices