Chegg.comService is terrible

I rented one book from Chegg.com in August 2009. It is now September and I still haven't received the book. I chatted online with customer service reps and the first one was helpful, he refunded shipping and promised it would be shipped via one day air. Aprox two days due to time of day. Well, I didn't recieve my book like promised so I chatted with another rep. She is terrible. She doesn't respond to me. Tells me there is no tracking information available and tells me that a supervisor has taken care of my order. Doesn't apoligize or anything. I spoke with her supervisor and he tells me that he is going to overnight it so that I get it the next day. I didn't recieve until monday the following week. They did refund my money, but they still wanted the book back. DO NOT RENT FROM CHEGG.COM THEY ARE NOT TRUST WORTHY. Spend the few extra dollars from amazon or textbookrus or something. It's worth it. You will get it on time.

• Da
    DavidChegg Sep 16, 2009

My name is David, and I'm one of the Team Leads at Chegg. We want to say that we're really sorry your experience here with Customer Service was so uneven. We've set the bar much higher than that, and we apologize that we fell short.

Without being able to look at your order, it looks like there might have been some reason why we had to issue your refund: the book wasn't actually available with one day shipping, the book being ordered was an International Version rather than a North American version... clearly, something went very wrong and communication with you was handled poorly, and obviously you should have never been promised something we couldn't deliver..

If you'd like to write to us, please do so at [email protected] If you can include information you used when placing the order, we can look into the matter and see why this was mishandled and see what we can do to make things right. We care about each of our customers and want to be an asset in their academic careers, and we're don't want to see you slip through the cracks if there's some way we can reach out which would better represent our company and mission.

We sincerely hope you'll offer us another chance, because it sounds like you have a truly valid complaint. Regardless, the we wish you great success this term.

Best regards,

The Chegg Team

• Co
    complchegg Jan 21, 2010

You know what? You lie still. You posted this 126 days ago. You claim that your team has set the bar much higher than before. It is now the year of 2010 and you still provide horrible customer service. That "bar" you've set must have been really ###ing low in the first place. It must have been deep underground before. Because you've ripped me off, I am $100+ short in my bank account and yet three of your agents claim that chegg has never taken the money away.

You've called me a liar and my bank a liar. I hope justice keeps up with you. I hope you get what you deserve coming. You will be hearing from the police soon, and you'll be hearing from my lawyer soon. And for what? 100 measly dollars.

• Pa
    Palin 2012 Jul 09, 2010

Agreed.

When I first rented from Chegg I received my order a week later than it should have arrived. I received no refund and little sympathy from their CSR. However, much of the blame in this case lied upon UPS as I recall even telling Chegg's CSR that they should switch to a more reliable, perhaps non-union, shipping provider.

I did just order a book though for my Summer class... Unhappy. I placed the order over the weekend and with the summer class being so quick I opted for the 2nd Day Air believing to have it no later than Wednesday as even estimated by Chegg. Monday rolls around and my order hadn't shipped. It didn't ship until Tuesday. Entirely unacceptable. Whether I upgraded my shipping or not my order should've been sent on the first business day following after the time my order had been placed. This time I wanted a refund as the blame lies solely upon Chegg and their CSR refused stating they do not issue shipping refunds until after the estimated arrival date passes and the order was not delivered. Sounds fair so I can't argue despite the fact UPS themselves estimate the arrival a day later.

So the next day I contact CSR again and am promised a refund. Assuming that goes through I am satisfied though it does bother me that Chegg doesn't make their CSR more accessible and provide email.

My one complaint though with Chegg beyond all this: Returns. Chegg promises no-hassle, free, full refund returns when looking at their site for the first time. However, that is not true. The original shipping cost is not refunded (reasonable) but then they also deduct $5 from your refund (unreasonable). I'm going to be contacting their CSR yet again to ask about this and then dispute with my American Express as their site makes no mention of this $5 deduction from the refund pointblank, only when searching through their "Help" is this mentioned and well, who really has the time to go looking?

Very unhappy with Chegg. Nice website, great idea but their false advertising and slow-to-ship employees/policy/(Who or what ever is to blame) destroys everything they could be.

Won't be ordering from them again. Rather pay for a new book then deal.

• Je
    jesus.chegg Jan 31, 2011

@ All,

I'm truly sorry for the experiences you guys have been sharing. My name is Jesus and I'm a student advocate for Chegg.com Your feedback is extremely important to me as we are always looking for ways to provide the best experience for the student. My response may be too late for some but if anyone would like their experience looked into or would just like to share more, I am here for you!

Thanks,

Jesus

• Da
    darkmaster323 Jun 18, 2012

I am very disappointed at chegg. I pay my money for homework help and many of the questions are not there. Many solutions are incorrect as well. There are also comments on the questions that clearly show that the questions have mistakes in them, but chegg does not do anything to change it. I am very disappointed in chegg's Maintenance.

• Je
    jesus.chegg Jun 28, 2012

Hello @DarkMaster323, My name is Jesus and I'm a student advocate at Chegg. I'd be more than happy to have someone take a look at the incorrect answers. Do you happen to have the links associated with those mistakes?
    Thanks!