Having problems with Chegg?

+1 855 581 9873 (Customer Service)
3990 Freedom Cir
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

False Advertising, Poor Customer Service

I rented with Chegg for about a year but have recently become EXTREMELY dissatisfied with them. In regards to...

Service is terrible

I rented one book from Chegg.com in August 2009. It is now September and I still haven't received the...

Charged Sales Tax

I have used Chegg in the past and have had no issues. I live in Delaware, one of the 5 US states where sales tax is not changed. I order 3 books this Fall 09 semester and after checkout I noticed I was changed $2.12 for sales tax. I called the customer service number and after being placed on hold three times for about ten minutes total I was told they were refunding the $2.12. If you live on one of the sales tax free states make sure you call to get your money back!

chegg.com complaint - online textbook buyback

chegg.com quoted me that my almost new textbook is worth $16.92 so I printed out their prepaid postage and shipped them my book! Now they email me that the book was received and are only willing to send me a check for $12.72!!! chegg.com is doing a Fraudulent Practice!!!

Horrible Customer Service

Chegg.com used false advertising to induced me to click on their site in the first place. The low price of book rental stated in their Google ad was false-- the lowest price on Chegg.com was $73.47 and NOT the $22.56 advertised.

When I clicked for live customer service, the answers were absolutely stupid and horrible. It is like an automated system that does not comprehend English. AND, in order to contact their customer service via email you must first establish an account with chegg. Forget that. I'm posting my complaint here and sending this link to their "press room" ([protected]@chegg.com). What an utter joke of a company.

Here is a transcript of my "chat."

==========================================

Nina :
Hello, I'm Nina, an automated chat agent, and I'm here to answer your questions about Chegg. Just type into the box below and click Send to get started.
You :
Hi: I "googled" a book title and Chegg.com's ad said "rent this book for $22.56. I clicked your website and the lowest price is $73.47. Where do I rent this book for the advertised price of $22.56?

Nina :
Sorry, but your phrase is too long and I will not be able to perform a full analysis. I would be very grateful if you could try to make it a bit shorter and more concise.
You :
How do I rent a book for your advertised price of $22.56? When I clicked your ad the price was 73.47, not $22~

Is this short enough?
Nina :
I'm not sure what you are saying. Could you please rephrase your question?
You :
Which part of what I have written so far do you not understand? I would be grateful I if could understand.

Nina :
Perhaps I have not properly understood what you said and for that I apologise. Could you rephrase your request please?
You :
When I explain you say my explanation is too long, but I will try again. Your ad said a book is $22~ but when I click on the ad it says the book is really $73~ How do I get the book for the advertised rental price of $22?

You :
What length question can you answer?

Nina :
What precisely are you looking for?
Where is My Account?
You :
ISBN: [protected] for the advertised rental price of $22.56.

Nina :
Do you want me to find this textbook for you ?
Yes, for a rental price of 22.56 not 73.47

Nina :
Ok. To see the results, click here.
Nina :
I've just opened the page for you.
You :
No help what so ever. I feel like you have completely ignored my question.

Nina :
I am sorry. If you rephrase your question, maybe I can help you. I am at your service if you have any further questions.
You :
My question is about the price, not locating the book.

Nina :
Click on one of the following statements which best matches your situation to obtain a response.Do you mean?:
-Where is my book?
-Why is there sales tax?
-How long can I leave items in my shopping cart?
-Where is My Account?
You :
No, what I mean is where can I rent a book for the price Chegg advertised on google?

Nina :
What precisely are you looking for?
-How do I order?
-How long can I leave items in my shopping cart?
-Why is there sales tax?
-How much does it cost?
To rent the book for $22.56 as advertised instead of $74

Nina :
Click on one of the following statements which best matches your situation to obtain a response.What precisely are you looking for?
-How do I order?
-What shipping methods do you offer?
- How long does it take to get my books?
-What is the defined length of a rental?
None of those fit

Nina :
I'm sorry if this isn't what you're looking for. Could you please rephrase that?
You :
Do you read English? Or is there a language barrier?

Nina :
I rarely have time to read because of work. What can I do to help you?
You :
What I mean is, do you comprehend what I have written to you or is English your second language (not fully conversant in it)?

You :
What you can do to help me is tell me where on your site I can rent the book for 22.56 instead of 73.47

Nina :
We care about our customers and are committed to helping them every step of the way. Chegg Customer Service can be reached by email or phone.
Email:
Chegg Customer Service can be contacted by selecting the 'Contact Us' link located on the bottom of each page. You may also open a ticket, or inquiry, by logging in to 'My Account'. You will receive a response within 24-48 hours.
Phone:
You can reach a live Chegg customer service representative at 1-888-99-CHEGG [protected] Mon.-Fri. 8:00am-5:00pm PST or by clicking here.

You :
No. I will contact Chegg through "Contact Us." Thanks anyway.

• Br
    brett johnson Sep 25, 2009

Chegg.com is horrible. Their information listed is FALSE. They mislead you. Their customer service is HORRIBLE. I reached them three times for a problem I was having with confusing and incorrect information on their listings, to no avail. They still have no addressed this problem, after weeks and weeks of notifying them.

Avoid Chegg.com at all costs. It's not worth having shaky shipping, unreliable service, and HORRIBLE customer service. I would never, ever, ever pay Chegg.com anything again, EVER.

• Sc
    scarlett0225 Oct 28, 2009

They do falsely advertise...they say its a SALES PRICE for the book not a RENTAL. I could've gone to ebay and bought it for the same price or less.

• Ai
    ailujM Dec 14, 2009

I rented a book from Chegg and now I'm trying to get on the site so I can return it because I have to print it from the internet, and the site wont open. it keeps telling me the link is broken... Is there any other way to get a hold of this site cause I have nothing and I dont want to end up getting charged for the book.

• Mo
    MoniqueEmbry Dec 15, 2011

Im new to college and already having problems. Cheggs tells me in 8 days I need to return their books. Ok.
    But why does it say I have PAYED FOR THEM AND THAT THEY ARE MINE? MINE TO KEEP?? I tried customer service and got crap cant even enter the chat. Go to Ups.com and print off a ship free slip cant do that so Im going to get charged anyway. Cant find one of the slips for the book AND THE BOXES!! For God's sake. I jsut printed off everything in the return section If I didnt have one of the slips to the books at least Id be screwed because unlike all other websites, you cant find their return address anywhere I am deleting my account screw it. I Had to find another box to ship the crap in and I gurantee that Im going to get ### for it. I am on the verge of starting a god damned riot. Its bad enough colleges like to do crap that you don't even need and try to enroll you in insurance and crap like that to get every dime out of you. This site doesn''t tell you what anything is and I will never order form here again. I GURANTEE THAT. I should have just bought the crap upfront!

• Co
    compl chegg Feb 05, 2014

Chegg is basically a scam website.

Never refunded my money!

I placed an order on August 29, 2008. Most of my books arrived in a timely fashion, but a book for a class that I had dropped took over two weeks to arrive. I sent the book back the day after I received it, which was September 19th. I was told that my refund would take a few weeks to process, so I waited until November 9th to contact them. I did not receive a response, so I contacted them again on November 19th. November 20th, I received an email saying my refund has been processed, and should be reflected on my credit card account in 3-4 business days. My statement indicated I never received the refund. I contacted Chegg again on December 23rd, and was told that they never processed the refund, and that they would have to mail a check, which they planned to mail on Monday December 29th. I contacted them again on January 5th, and now they say it will take a few weeks. I have no job, and I really need the $60. They have been unapologetic, and nobody seems to care. I have been late on my car payment, and I was $50 short. Now I have $40 in late fees, which I would not have incurred if Chegg had processed my return two months ago, when the said they would.

• Je
    jesus.chegg May 16, 2011

Hey have you received your money yet? Let me kno. I can help

• Di
    Disgusted with Chegg Jun 14, 2011

I was referred to this servise, but am contacting the Better business bereau because i rented the books, then returned them in a timely fashion. My $200 refunded was NEVER credited to my account!!! It has been over two months and am STILL chasing my refund, the are FALSE ADVERTISERS and take your FULL money and do not return a credit hoping you will not notice!!! BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!!!

• Je
    jesus.chegg Aug 15, 2011

All you need to do is contact one of the Chegg Student Advocates and they would be able to give you account information about your refund status. Refunds are automatically given for orders that have been returned within the refund window of 21 days from when the order was placed. even if it's a few days after the refund window, they're really helpful!

I too ordered from Chegg in Fall of 2017 and again in Spring 2017. In the fall I only received 1 book out of 4 ordered and it took them weeks to answer my emails and refund my money. Forget calling the customer service number, no one answers...ever! You get an automated voice telling you to call back later.

I thought I would give them a second chance so again in the Spring 2017 (first week in February 2017) I ordered three books. I paid for priority shipping, one book arrived 5 days later (priority is 2-3 days) and it was the WRONG BOOK, the second is still in transit and it is now day 7 and the third is lost so far.

I have sent 4 emails and NO ONE WILL ANSWER OR ADDRESS MY ISSUES. Do not order from CHEGG.COM, thier customer service is non-existant and you will not get your books that you need for your classes.

• Jj
    jj_mckay Feb 26, 2009

Just had a HORRIBLE experience just attempting to order a book. So glad I had this trouble BEFORE the ordering process because it spared me spending money with this terrible, joke of a company. (Will post my own complaint seperately.)

• Do
    doreen373 Mar 14, 2009

I ordered a badge from pogo.com games and already have it, so would appreat it if you would return my gems 16 so I can get something I haven't got. thanks doreen373 e-mail is [email protected]

• Sc
    scarlett0225 Oct 28, 2009

received unordered book, really hard to contact customer service, couldn't access site since I didn't have an account and don't know how they could've sent me a book or how I would pay them. trying to navigate their site is horrible and trying to get help, you have to enter a question in this field but after that you enter an infinite loop because the buttons for live chat and call don't work. you have to search the site and end up going to terms of use to find their telephone number, which i then got a message that they weren't open.

• Jd
    jdub31 Jun 25, 2010

This company has given me nothing but headaches. I have been trying for over a month to receive my payment for selling them my textbook. Now, they had no trouble processing the textbook when they received it, but now they are "having trouble" sending me my payment. I have been ordering textbooks online for years and never have I had as much frustration and disappointment in a company. I only used this company because it seemed like a new and upcoming company that even plants trees, going green, I guess, but my experience has been a nightmare. Well, I guess you live and you learn, and you must hit a few bumps in the road before you can find the good ones.

• Le
    Legend Sep 09, 2010

I heard of Chegg.com from a co-worker while I was living in Killeen, Texas. It was the Spring semester of 2017, and I decided to give them a try. Everything was great. Well, I guess the mistake I made was to relocate to Dallas, Texas because I decided to rent my textbooks through Chegg again for the Fall semester. I edited and updated my account information with my new adddress to prevent any mix-ups. I ordered a total of five books. Two of my textbooks were shipped to my old address in Killeen and the other three books were shipped to my new address in Dallas. I was so upset, as the semester had already started and I was behind on my homework assignments. I called Chegg almost daily, and I was always told that a supervisor would have to handle my complaint. The custromer service that I received was very, very poor. I realize that mistakes do happen and it is very possible for shipments to go to the wrong place, but it took TWO weeks for a supervisor to contact me and to finally admit their error. The supervisor offered me a 10 percent discount coupon for a future order! Can you believe that? It is no way that I will rent my textbooks from this company again! I may as well have spent the extra money and purchased my books from the college bookstore or from a company like, Amazon, com. Sometimes cheaper is not always better. To Chegg customer service reps/supervisors: take a tip and be oriented on proper customer service etiquette. Because you need it.

Worst service ever

I also wish I had read some reviews of chegg.com before renting books for them. I did finally receive all...

Failure to find lost package, trying to charge me for a new book

One of the very worst customer service experiences of my life. Total scammers! First, they sent me the wrong book. When the correct book, shipped via UPS, didn't arrive, I attempted to contact Chegg. It took them 3 months after many emails from me just to have them tell me that I had to look for the book myself! Now they are trying to charge me full price for a used book which is probably in poor condition, considering the sorry condition of the books I did receive.

• Oc
    ocbreeze Feb 18, 2009

I too ordered from Chegg in Fall of 2008 and again in Spring 2009. In the fall I only received 1 book out of 4 ordered and it took them weeks to answer my emails and refund my money. Forget calling the customer service number, no one answers...ever! You get an automated voice telling you to call back later.

I thought I would give them a second chance so again in the Spring 2009 (first week in February 2009) I ordered three books. I paid for priority shipping, one book arrived 5 days later (priority is 2-3 days) and it was the WRONG BOOK, the second is still in transit and it is now day 7 and the third is lost so far.

• Mi
    Michele de Lucca-Lowrey Sep 19, 2018

This is ridiculous! I am worried now that we rented a book for 180 days and we will need to redo this so she has the book for school rented for the year and you can't seem to contact anyone.
    August, 2017.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices