Chasedispute department

I am writing you this letter in order to express my profound disappointment followed closely by a high level of frustration and dissatisfaction with the way my case was dealt with by the claim department.

Last week I decided to call the claim department to ask about a possible claim related to my personal account. Back in December 2014 the 14th, I had made a purchase online with a company based in India, SEAddons, for the amount of $1149.00, assuming that I was buying a package including PHP scripts and internet services.

Since the purchase, the company has been very evasive when asked about the nature of the services provided, products and even the "FREE" features supposed to be included in this particular package. I would open "Support Tickets" weeks after weeks in order to make sense of it, only to receive very vague answer, often with a very condescending attitude towards me, trying to make me believe I didn't understand what I was buying.

Tired of this situation, I decided to call the claim department in order to ask about a possible dispute for this case. I made sure at the time to explain all the details to the gentleman on the phone, who did not show any interest for my case, trying to make me say on the phone things that were not related to the present case. Moreover, I could sense in the tone of his voice that he was potentially offended each time I was mentioning that the company based in India might have tried to pull a fraudulent sale on me, hiding behind the fact that they are indeed located over-seas, with a 0% rate of success in trying to contact them over the phone. As some point, as i was trying to confirm the original country of this company by looking up the phone number country code, the teller said with a typical strong accent " I know ", implying that he was himself from this country.

Nevertheless, the claim was filed, and I received a temporary refund of $1149.00, only to receive another email two days later stating that my claim was denied, as Chase Bank has determined that the amount of the transaction was correct. Following this statement, I was explained that the temporary refund would be canceled. No need to explained you that I felt immediately let down by my bank with such poor explanation about why the case was being closed, specially considering the fact that my dispute was never about the price not being correct, but rather about myself making a purchase online with a company based over-seas that never delivered the goods.

I decided to call again the claim department in order to express my disappointment with this decision, and also to ask how possibly this decision was made in such short amount of time, and specially based on the obvious wrong problem, as the price of the purchase was never questioned per se, but rather the delivery of the items purchased at the time. The new claim specialist could sense that I was very frustrated and upset and ask me why I was feeling this way, and for a second time I explained again my full case in details, spending another good 30 minutes so my concerns might be better understood this time.

At my huge surprise, the teller told me that the first person involved with taking my claim never put anything about my story in the notes of my account, but rather did a "Standard Claim" without explaining anything at all about the dispute with the company based in India. How this could even be possible after took the time to explain everything with precise details at the time? Could it possibly be because the first gentleman got offended about the nature of this claim? I cannot answer this question with any certainty but the fact is that the second gentleman said that my claim was filed the wrong way, thus his decision to cancel the first one in order to filed it again with this time the proper details about it. He told me that he really understood my frustrations and even that he would be feeling the exact same way if he was in my shoes. he apologized many times for the inconvenience that the situation may have caused, and assured me that Chase Bank valued my business as a customer.

The second claim was then filed on Friday evening, a second temporary refund was processed, and again at my huge surprise, on Sunday evening, I received another email stating AGAIN, that Chase Bank has determined that the price of the transaction was correct, and that the refund would be canceled. Can you only imagine how I felt reading this email? How disappointed and frustrated again as i realize that the email is exactly the same, words for words, compared to the first one, starting to understand that maybe these decisions have been taken regardless the seriousness of my situation with this company. So I decided to call the claim department for a third time, but this time, with the intention to speak to a supervisor or a manager only.

On my third call, I ended up speaking with Dleon, a supervisor. This person asked me how they could help me today, in a very nonchalant voice, and let me explain again the whole situation for a good 25 minutes, without a word, in a perfect silence, to the point where i had to ask if he was still on the line. He did not try at all to understand what happened by asking questions or even trying to investigate further the problem. Instead, Mr DLeon came to the conclusion that Chase Bank does not have any way to check that I never receive what I purchased online for $1149.00, and even had the nerves to say that " maybe as far as we know you could have downloaded the scripts on your computer, use all the free services, then delete everything and say you never received them ..." ... REALLY ?

I asked this person, as I was getting really upset, if he just called me a liar, and if he thought that I would be spending my time on the phone, over 3 different calls, with a high amount of frustrations and disarray, for nothing, just killing time ? But his only answer basically was that it is my words against the company and there is nothing that can be done in this case. I thanked him for his time and hanged up the phone, stating to wonder if I had made the wrong choice in opening 2 new accounts in 2012 with Chase when my main Bank is with USAA ( both my wife and I are Air Force veterans).

With such a dispute, I would expect Chase to give me the opportunity to prove my case, but instead I was humiliated when the supervisor even thought about the possibility of me trying to put myself in the middle of a fraudulent claim. I cannot express how I feel as today, realizing that nowadays, in 2016, people can literally steal from honest customers online and moreover, get away with it. And if the aggravation of being scammed was not enough, realizing that your bank institution has no real action plan to help customers in distress is probably even worst.

Frederic G. Dinca