Cathay Pacific Airways Logo

Cathay Pacific Airways

Having problems with Cathay Pacific Airways?

1800 233 2742 (United States)
1800 268 6868 (Canada)
800 917 8260 (United Kingdom)
131 747 (Australia)
+852 27 477 838 (Head Office, Hong Kong)
+43 15 852 742 (Austria)
+32 80 081 871 (Belgium)
+45 33 154 033 (Denmark)
+31 707 709 574 (Netherlands)
+351 217 986 988 (Portugal)
+41 445 112 236 (Switzerland)
+852 27 473 333 (Hong Kong)
+64 800 441 289 (New Zealand)
+65 67 231 378 (Singapore)
+27 800 611 206 (South Africa)
+82 234 835 395 (South Korea)
+54 115 274 1600 (Argentina)
+852 27 473 344 (All Other Countries (Hong Kong)
Cathay Pacific City, 8 Scenic Road, Hong Kong International Airport

P.O. Box 91, 8058 Zurich

Turkey
Cumhuriyet Cad. 185/1, Harbiye, Istanbul 34373, Turkey

China
28/F, East Tower, Twin Towers, B-12 Jianguomenwai Avenue, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100022, China

Indonesia
Kuta Paradiso Hotel, Jl. Kartika Plaza, South Kuta Beach, Tuban – Bali

Japan
Island G, 3F, International Terminal Building, Fukuoka Airport

Philippines
12/F Ayala Life FGU Center, Mindanao Ave. cor Biliran Rd, Cebu Business Park, Cebu City, Philippines 6000

Saudi Arabia
406, Albanderieh Centre, 28th Street, P.O. Box 2492, Al Khobar 31952

Singapore
230, Victoria Street, #11-01/02 Bugis Junction Towers Singapore, 188024

South Korea
4/F, Trade Centre, 87-7, 4-Ga, Jungang-dong, Jung-gu, Busan, Korea

United Arab Emirates
  • Ground Floor Showroom No. 1, 10 Epico Bldg, Liwa Street, P.O. Box 279, Abu Dhabi
  • Ground Floor, Al Shoala Building, Port Saeed, Deira, PO Box 4868, Dubai
Argentina
462, Lavalle St., 2nd Floor, Buenos Aires, C1047AAJ, Argentina

Brazil
Rua Helena, 280, CJ 1101/1102 – Vila Olimpia, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Mexico
World Trade Center, Montecito 38, 26th floor / piso 26, Mexico City, 03810

Complaints & Reviews

Asia Miles is unreliable and horrible to deal with. Worst customer service!

Asia miles is so unreliable and has the worst service. I recently booked flights from ROME-LONDON-NEWYORK with my miles and the customer rep on the phone said my flight was confirmed. I arrive at the airport and check in at british airways and they say that Asia miles never confirmed my flight. I was put on standby for several flights, spent all this money on phone calls, finally get on a flight from ROME-LONDON but once i got to london the last flight out was done so I ended up having to stay the night at Heathrow. Again, i spent more money on phone calls and even more money on a hotel and the aiport shuttle. I was upset, tired and very unhappy. If Asia miles has communication problems with their partner airlines its not the problem of their customers, it's a problem they should be responsible for and be accountable for if they are promising their customers free flights using asia miles.

So anyway, after my tiring and horrible experience, I've been trying to call Asia miles the past 3 weeks now to see if they can provide me with compensation. I've spoken to about 7 of their representatives, all of who always promised to call me back but never do! SUCH BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!' They're really just a bunch of jokers.

Steer clear of asia miles because you'll really just either
1. never be able to redeem them because of all their lame excuses of flight are full (they are always full if you ask them!) OR
2. if you ever do get to redeem them, they'll probably say your flight is confirmed then you'll find out that they never got you a seat and you'll get stranded at the airport. HA.

I have been a loyal cathay pacific customer since I was a kid and this is the first time i've redeemed my miles and i can't say i'll ever want to do it again.

Horrible horrible horrible service. I can't say it enough. They don't want to take responsibility for their fault and for a company as large as them they can't even provide a measly $130 hotel compenstation for their loyal customer.

I have completely lost confidence in their company. I don't trust any of their service reps as they have told me each time i've called that they will talk to BA but they never do. My 5th phone call the rep basically told me to call BA's customer service line. UNbelievable.

I have talked to thier manager and even he can't offer me any sort of reasonable compensation. All he can give me is 2000 miles. WTF am I going to do with 2000 miles?

I just want this whole episode to be over and i never ever ever want to deal with their company again.

Horrible Rewards program

If you ever want to redeem your Asia miles points for a flight, you will definitely have big problems because:

1. Cathay Pacific Loyalthy Programmes LTd. (CPLP), Asia Miles and their partner airlines limit the number of seats available for award travel, anytime they want, at their discretion.

2. Their partners impose BLACKOUT PERIODS.

3. CPLP doesn't guarantee you a seat on their flights (cathay pacific airways) or any of their partner flights to any destination – which basically means that you could have a confirmation number for you booking from Asia miles and go to the check-in counter at the airport the day of your flight and have their partner airline say you don't have a confirmed seat and that Asia miles never confirmed your seat — which is exactly what happened to me.

Here is the fin print from their online members services catalogue:

Sec. 12.2 Members acknowledge that CPA and its Partners reserve the right to limit the number of seats made available for Airline Award Travel at their absolute discretion. In addition, some Partners may impose blackout periods during which Airline Award Travel is not permitted. CPLP does not guarantee that seats will be available for Airline Award Travel on any particular flight and class or to any particular destination on CPA or any Partner airlines.

To sum it up, Asia miles is unreliable and if they screw up, they are not even willing to take the responsibiliy for their fault. This has exactly been my experience with them the past month, and they've even been telling me to call their partner airlines directly and take it up with them, when they were the ones who supposedly booked my flight. It's been non-stop painstaking phone calls, talking to many many representatives, explaining to each and every single one of them the whole scenario repeatedly, and none of them really having any power to do anything and none of which actually call me back. Even their senior representative who promised to call me back, never did.

Asia miles is horrible. I will never be flying with Cathay Pacific again. Their whole rewards program is terrible, unreliable and just just just horrible!

• De
    delim Sep 08, 2009

2. Their partners impose BLACKOUT PERIODS.

Here is the fine print from Sec 12.2 taken from their online member's guide pdf, clearing stating the above 3 points.

missing baggage

Dear sir/madam. I travelled to China via Hong Kong by Cathay Pacific on the 24/8/09.I travelled to Hong Kong...

DELAY IN PROCESSING VISAS

Dear Sir, I Syed Zafar Ali applied for hong kong visa for me and my family .We applied for our visa through cathay pacific airline solerepresentative Mr tabraiz . We applied two months before our flight and bought the tickets . We started our journey from karachi ( Pakistan ) to Singapore and went to kualalumpur by road . We planed to stay in kl for 15 days and then go to hong kong to see diseny .We extended our stay in kl just to get the visa but we were shocked to hear that there was some delay .All the documents which were required was given to cathay pacific airline . Due to their fault and inefeciency we could get the visa on time . We reissue the tickets via Bangkok as we did not have the visa to go to hk and to karachi via hk although we bought the tickets two months back . This cause us a great deal of emotional and financial distress. But now two months after coming back from vacation we are getting the visas. This delay ruined our vacation . Kindly guide me whom to talk to or email to resolve my problem . Thanking you in anticipation. Syed Zafar Ali.

• Sy
    SYED ZAFAR ALI Aug 28, 2009

I FULLY AGREE WITH THE COMPLAINT AND I THINK THE AIRLINE SHOULD COMPENSATE BY GIVING THEIR FAMILY FREE TICKETS TO HONG KONG

• Sy
    SYED ZAFAR ALI Aug 28, 2009

to sad to read and the air should be sued for damages.the court will also agree.

Parking Bay

Cathay Pacific (CX) had done it again... another disappointment. Just got back from Bangkok (to Hong Kong) 2 days ago, and being the Home airport Hong Kong, our CX 702 flight needs to park in an outter parking bay (we need to carry our stuff and get on a transfer bus). I wonder... why do customers needs to pay preminum price for Cathay, if the services and parking bay is same as the discount airlines? (i.e. Air Asia) I think on avarage, we are paying $2500+ HKD more than a typical discount airline to Bangkok.

More... I would strongly suggests CX to better train their air hostress to put a smile on their face. I still don't understand why CX is being voted as one of the top 3 airlines in terms of services around the world.

High expense on changing tickets

I am feeling upset and I cannot find any help from Cathay pacific for those two days even though Cathay Pacific has mentioned about Society Responsibility.
So, I decide to write to Headquarter of Cathay Pacific to ask for help.
It is urgent. My wife, had booked two tickets for Chengdu, and the departure time is May 19th 2009 via Hongkong. One ticket is of my wife and the other one is of my daughter .
Unfortunately, My daughter had caught a cold five days ago and had a high fever, so we were forced to change the departure date of trip to May 24th 2009, We changed the tickets via TianBao Travel Agent, we had spent 750 Canadian dollars. Today, the result of clinical assessment comes out, The result is that my daughter has caught Fluenza A, even though we don't know whether her fever is H1N1 or not. The doctors confirmed no traveling. And the final result will come out one week later.
It is said that we can not leave on May 24th, 2009. We have to cancel this trip and book tickets for the future trips. When I called Cathay Pacific in Canada, I was asked to contact with the Agent. But the agent responded that no way and said that we could only contact Cathay Pacific.
Yes, if we only consider our benefit, we can travel and pass the boarding check while my daughter takes some medicine to cover the fever symptoms. But the other travelers will be infected with Influenza A, we have to take this trip after my daughter's completely recovery.
So, we have written emails to Cathay Pacific and we are waiting for resposne. And now I want to fax a copy to Cathay Pacific to ask for help. And this wll be the last way for us.
I believe that it is the time for every one to share the society duties, including Cathay Pacific airlines. It is absolutely wrong if we pay too much more money to our accidentally infected by Influenza A, and airlines and travel agent can get money for our changing tickets. It is a better for us to get a solution as soon as possible.

I am looking forward to the further prompt response.

Steven

Useless Customer Service

Hi there,

I travelled Cathay from Sydney to New Delhi on 25/04. I am a sapphire (Oneworld) member and was informed by Cathay call centre in Australia (Which they no do not acknowledge) that I was eligible for additional 10 kilos baggage.

On reaching Sydney airport, I was told that i was not eligible and only after I gave them the details of my call to Cathay Call centre did they allow my check in albeit after charging for 2 additional kilos. (I was carrying 34 kilo including hand bag and going by additional 10 kilo allowance, I was under limit by 3 kilos). I must say that without asking I was upgraded to business class from HK to New Delhi.

On reaching New Delhi on 26/04 in the morning, I find out that only 1 of my 2 checked in bags have reached. Unfortunately, the bag that did not arrive had my 3 month old daughters milk and nappies, along with all my clothes (as I was there for a wedding).

Cathy refuse to refund me the excess baggage they charged me and also refuse to refund me the money I spent to buy essentials due to their negligence.

Not sure what recourse I have for this...any suggestions!!

Bad service

I have flown on Cathay Pacific 4 times to fly from California to Hong Kong. I always choose CP because their in-flight service is far superior to other American airlines. They also have a wonderful entertainment system in all of the seats which makes the flight even better.

The complain I have happened from [protected]. It is that out of the 4 times that I have flown on Cathay Pacific 3 of those times they have damaged my luggage. On 2 of my brand new suitcases they broke off the telescoping handle, which I had secured in the down position. And one time they broke off the regular carrying handle on the top of the suitcase, which was a very heavy duty handle. All of these 3 incidences, the handles were new sturdy handles and this had to be done intentionally or with the knowledge of the baggage handlers.

Cathay Pacific stated that they would pay for repairing the luggage. Although I don't see any way that a telescoping handle that was ripped clean off of the suitcase could be repaired. But when contacting Cathay Pacific they told me I needed a form sent to me. I called the first person for the form and she told me that she couldn't give me one and that I would have to call this second person. When I called the second person she told me that she couldn't give me the form and I would have to call the first person to get the form. The first person from then on refused to answer my calls or return my messages. They now have the forms online, when this happened they did not. this really taints the good overall service I get from Cathay Pacific.

Charles Oct 04, 2007

Cathay Pacific Airways
    www.cathaypacific.com

Been waiting on hold with their call centre for over half of an hr, still haven't got through to them yet.

• Az

Reservation: (852) 2747-1888
    T: (852) 2747-1577
    F: (852) 2560-1411

Dear Sir / Madam,

I request your urgent attention to this matter and ask you to provide replacement tickets and other compensation you deem appropriate, for me and my wife to travel to Dhaka, Bangladesh for the following reasons.

History

In early 2008, I purchased from Sky Sail Travels & Tours in Dhaka, two return tickets for myself and my wife Mrs Hasina Chowdhury. The ticket numbers are:

1. 043 5914447843; and
    2. 043 5914447844.

The tickets I purchased allowed me and my wife to travel on Dragon Air (division of Cathay Pacific Airlines) from Dhaka to Melbourne, Australia and back. My wife and I flew to Melbourne on 25 February 2008. We have been in Melbourne since that date.

When I purchased the tickets from Sky Sail Travels & Tours, I was advised by the travel agent there that the tickets would remain valid from 25 February 2008 for a period of 12 months for the return journey to Dhaka. I sought confirmation of this advice from Cathay Pacific’s Customer Sales Office in Australia in his email of 8 April 2008. I have kept a record of my email dealings with Cathay Pacific, which I enclose.

In response to my email of 8 April 2008, Cathay Pacific advised me by email on 24 April 2008 that my tickets would expire on 25 February 2009. This was confirmed again by Cathay Pacific by email on 17 February 2009 at 11:05AM.

I arranged on a number of occasions to travel with my wife back to Dhaka on the above tickets. However, I had to postpone these plans for various reasons, one of them being that I underwent open-heart triple bypass surgery in 09 July 2008. Ultimately, I arranged with Cathay Pacific’s Customer Sales Office to travel with my wife to Dhaka on 25 February 2009. I refer to Cathay Pacific’s email of 17 February 2009 at 5:51PM, which contains a record of my itinerary for 25 February 2009 (booking reference LTEJX). Please read below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Re: New Booking Reference LTEJX Ticket numbers 043 5914447843 and 043 5914447844
    Tuesday, 17 February, 2009 11:05 AM
    To: "Protege Ashanti" <[email protected]>

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----
    Dear Mr Chowdhury,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that your ticket is valid for a maximum of 1 year therefore the last date you may depart on your current ticket is 25 February 2009. Regrettably it is an IATA ruling that a ticket can not be extended past 1 year and this not only applies to Cathay Pacific but all airlines. If you are unable to travel on 23 February you will need to purchase another ticket for your return journey.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Tuesday, 17 February, 2009 5:51 PM
    Add sender to Contacts
    "Protege Ashanti" <[email protected]>
    Dear Mr Chowdhury,

Thank you fr your email.

Please note that I have amended your flight booking as requested and below is a copy of your updated flight itinerary.

Cathay Pacific wishes you a pleasant trip and please contact Cathay Pacific if you have any further enquires.

Kind regards

DEP HONG KONG INTL T1 25FEB 22:35 WED KA110 ECONOMY NON-STOP
    ARR DHAKA ZIA INT'L 26FEB 01:00 THU (33L) CONFIRMED

AIRLINES
    ========

CX - CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS LTD.
    KA - HONG KONG DRAGON AIRLINES LIMITED

CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS WISH YOU A PLEASANT TRIP

Dear Karena,

Requiring a suggestion. Do we print the itinerary out and take it to the check-in desk of Cathay Pacific at the Melbourne airport? Let me know if that is what we ought to do.

My Greetings to you and the rest of Cathay Pacific staff at your office.

Aziz Chowdhury.

Thursday, 19 February, 2009 11:08 AM
    Add sender to Contacts
    "Protege Ashanti" <[email protected]>
    Dear Mr Chowdhury,

Thank you for your email.

We do recommend that passengers have a print out of their itinerary at time of check-in, however this is not necessary.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Emma

Customer Sales Office
    Cathay Pacific Airways Australia
    Tel: 131 747
    Fax: 02-9251 3460
    e-addr: [email protected]

On 25 February 2009, my wife and I arrived at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport at 6:00AM. We were advised at the airport that our tickets were no longer valid and were therefore unable to board our flight. I was given a copy of an IATA BSB Participant Billing Analysis for the billing period of 9 May 2008 to 15 May 2008, which I’ll send to you upon your request. As the document shows, the 51, 918.00 Bangladeshi Taka (BDT) I paid as part for the above two tickets total value of 140, 000.00 Taka approximately (perhaps the Agent or whoever stole our money, calculated as our ‘Return Tickets to Dhaka’. It was refunded back to Sky Sail Travels & Tours on 15 May 2008! Stragely neither I knew nothing about this nor Cathay Pacific informed me anything in relation to cancellation of our tickets as the money were taken as refund through fraudulence and how, only God knows. However we have a theory as I was writing a letter to the Inspector General of Police, Bangladesh, in its last para, I quote “P.S. Very Important for your perusal : In relation to the travel agent who cheated and withdrawn my money without even letting me know, “Sky Sails Travel & Tours”, I’m 100% sure that they couldn’t have retrieved (or stolen our money in other words) the money without the collaboration of local staff of Dhaka’s Cathay Pacific (Dragon Air) office at 100 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Kawran Bazaar, Dhaka 1215, Bangladesh. (Telephone 912-2935, e-mail : [email protected])” unquote.

I cannot understand why it is that if the BDT 51, 918.00 I paid for the tickets had been refunded by Dragon Air on 15 May 2008, I was firstly not informed of the refund and secondly, that it had been carried out without my consent. I also cannot understand why it is that Cathay Pacific advised me on 17 February 2009 that my tickets were still valid until 25 February 2009 even though the money paid for the tickets had already been refunded much earlier.

As a result of the above mistake, my wife and I have been greatly inconvenienced. Firstly, I am still recovering from my open heart triple-bypass surgery and require plenty of rest (we were made wait at Melbourne airport for 9 hours!). I indicated as much in my email to Cathay Pacific’s Customer Sales Office on 18 December 2008. I have also been seeking psychological treatment for my depression and anxiety and I’ll gladly enclose a letter from my psychologist Ms. Julie-Anne L. Peake upon a request of yours. Much stress was placed on me as I tried for most of the day at the airport to resolve the matter, without success.

Secondly, my wife applied for annual leave in order to travel to Dhaka with me. I enclose a copy of her leave application form. Because of the above mistake, my wife went through the inconvenience of making a statutory declaration, which I’ll enclose upon your request, to give to her employer to explain why she was not going to use her annual leave and was intending to return to work.

Finally, I have suffered a lost business opportunity as a consequence of Cathay Pacific’s mistake. I was appointed as a representative of X-Ray Connection in relation to the purchase of angiography systems by hospitals in Bangladesh. I enclose a copy of a letter confirming this appointment. There was a high likelihood that the angiography systems would be purchased. Consequently, I have suffered financially because I was not able to fly back to Dhaka to participate in the negotiations.

Replacement tickets

I reasonably ask that Cathay Pacific enable me and my wife to travel to Dhaka as soon as possible. My mother in Dhaka is ill and I would like to visit her before her condition worsens. For these purposes, please provide tickets for me and my wife to travel to Dhaka by 15 March 2009 or if not, soon after. With this in mind, please understand therefore that there is a great urgency underlying my request.

Accordingly, I seek your urgent response. If you wish to discuss any aspect of this letter, please do not hesitate to contact me on +61 3 8790 6270 or +61 4 3374 5700.

Yours faithfully,

Azizuddin Chowdhury

• Ia
    ian Apr 01, 2009

you probably never will...they should be renamed Air China
    they are now a conceited airline with staff who couldn't care less
    they love your money but have giving you what you paid for

• Ml
    MLAM May 08, 2013

One addition, when I want to send this email. I found it didn’t even show the email address and the online form only available for 300 characters.

What happen to CX? I think everything is decline, especially the oversea sector.
    Tonight (May4, NYC time CX845)I have been travel back from NYC to HKG. I know the seats are tight. We have two tickets, one business and one Premium Econ, We want to using the Macro polo miles to upgrade the business to First and premium to Business. Since I have check with American Express Centurion, there is first class available but business class are full. We choose to go to the airport so early. At the counter, there are three staffs, the one who serve us is the most new and inexperience. She didn’t know a lot and asked the other staff how to do but I feel the more experience staff just want to refuse to do the upgrade, but since I know every aspects how to upgrade and requirements. I clearly told the one who help us What we want to do.
    1. Business upgrade to first class, (then the business class seat become available) and then upgrade premium Econ to Business, all using my miles and she has check my 1010304007 has 270k miles remain.
    2. If I can't go for business then change my seat to walkway.
    She marked down everything and ask me to wait in the lounge for news.
    When I got to lounge, I keep asking, at the beginning the employee say have to wait. When I check again at 12:30, it said can’t be upgrade, but further check. They made mistake. They using Mr. Wang new Asia mile account try to deduct miles but since new account setup the miles not enough. It didn’t success. After knowing the issue, the employee of Lounge call the manager Coral Blanco right away. She recognize it is their mistake, She said ok to call the Marco polo to deduct the miles right away to do the upgrade. But this time she forgot the premium economic to business. And she called the manager right away. And Coral Blanco said ok, while doing the upgrade about 2 mines later, Coral called back and said stop the upgrade for the premium to business. It said the time is not enough. So the lounge employee told the Marco polo to stop the upgrade for PY to Business. I asked to speak with Coral but the lounge employee said Coral refuse to talk to me and refuse to call Coral. Ask me to talk to Coral at the gate. When I talked to Coral at the gate, she said everything is too late but where I think if she didn’t place the stop order, everything is good. She lie to me and say will do it on the plane. When we arrive the gate at the plane, she push all the reasonability to the flight attendants manager Eileen. Eileen said there is nothing to do and Coral just want to push me get on the plane. I really want to take the other plane but Coral said if I don’t take this plane, it will delay because of me. I feel so badly she did and say that to put all the responsibility to me. I end up get on the plane and the bad is not finish. Coral end up upgrade a diamond ( I was Diamond in 2012) member to business. It seems I just using the miles to upgrade my friend from business to First and spare the business seat suppose should be me to upgrade but end up for other. It’s ok, but I should get move to walkway seat to take over the one who got upgrade. But no one is even ask me for anything anymore.

1. I think oversea staffs is lack of knowledge for all the upgrade matter.
    2. I think oversea staffs just want to do less by telling clients that everything are not able to do. (what should I pay the full fare price at the first place then)
    3. I think Coral just trying all she can do to complete her job but not client user-friendly.
    4. I can understand employees want to complete their job duty but not cheating, lying or make client embarrassed to complete their job.

lost and delayed luggage

I flew in from los angles to bangkok with a stopover at hongkong. I arrived in bangkok but not my luggage. I filed a disposition at the terminal before leaving the airport. After 2 frustration days on my tour they finally traced my luggage. I was informed that i could claim compensation for the 2 day delay for all the clothing/ toilitries/etc that i had to obtain meanwhile. Now after calling numerous long distance calls and writing emails to them --no response. I am exteremely frustrated and need the contact numbet (toll free) or e-mail of the big- wig to reimburse me for the items and th accompanying aggravation---please help

CX do not honor One World Ruby members

Cathay Pacific Airways do not honor One World Ruby members. One World Ruby members, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT...

Dont go to Cathay office!

I got ripped off big time when I thought I could get cheaper airfare when purchasing directly from Cathay office. After 3 hour waiting I paid 64.000 pesos for ticket to Perth and later on found out I could get very same ticket online with only 59.000. Cathay is also part of illegal cartell, so I'm not really surprised of this behaviour. They are acting like they will close the shop tomorrow and trying to squeeze last dollars out of stupid (ex-) customers.

FLIGHT FROM hONG KONG TO ADELAODE

I TRAVELLED ON THE 15TH OCYOBER FROM HONG KONG TO aDELAIDE SERVICE WAS DISQUSTING DRINKS WERE NOT OFFERED TO PASSENGERS
1) GOING THROUGH TUBALENCE OVER HEAD CABINS WERE OPENED AIR HOSTES DIDNT EVEN CLOSE THEM.
2) LANDING PASSENGERS NOT WERARING SEAT BELTS STAFF DIDNT EVEN CHECH
3) passenger went into toilets with there laptop very scared on his move doing that staff didnt even inknowldege him.
4) drinks and coffee was not offered with our evening meal.
5) staff were not freindly or helpful after meals were served no staff around at all as i couldnt sleep through the night i was not impressed as staff we not even assiting a lady who baby was crying all night and the lady was getting up tight,
IM PLANNING A OVERSEAS TRIP FOR NEXT YEAR AND YOUR AIRLINE IS NOT ONE I WILL BE TRAVELLING WITH.

• Ri
    richard kennett Nov 14, 2008

I AGREE TOTALLY WITH THIS REORT!
    WE FLEW ON THURSDAY 13TH NOVEMBER FROM AUCKLAND TO HONGKONG (CX108) AND WE HAD VERY BAD SERVICE!
    THERE WERE PEOPLE LEAVING UPPER BAGGAGE CUPBOARDS OPEN, STAFF WERE TURNING A BLIND EYE TO EVERY THING.NO DRINKS MANY DRINKS SERVED AND DID NOT ATTEND WHEN BUTTON PRESSED.
    WE HAVE REPORTED THIS DIRECT, WE ARE FLYING BACK TO U.K.(FLIGHT CX251) AND HAVE REQUESTED TO SEE A SENIOR REP OF CATHAY PACIFIC, NOVEMBER 12PM.BEFORE WE TAKE OFF ON SATURDAY 15TH
    WE WILL NEVER TRAVEL WITH THEM AGAIN!!!
    MR RICHARD KENNETT
    MRS MAGGIE KENNETT
    MR. AIDAN KENNETT

Stealing my stuff

Basically it boils down like this. Because of the lack of, or rather non-existent communication of rules and regulation about flying into U.S airspace to customers, I had my 130.00USD Royal Salute Chivas Whiskey confiscated just as I was about to board the flight from HK to Toronto. I bought it in Vietnam, which is where my flight started. All the Cathay ground staff did not mention anything when we bought the whiskey and took it on the flight. I was not an isolated incident but many others who flew into HK from Vietnam also had their goods confiscated. On the flight I wrote a full detail account of what happened, but guess what? No answer or email whatsoever from this company. It is a miracle that you guys win all the awards for excellence in service blah blah blah. Even the captain of the flight and other crew members acknowledge that it was a ### thing to do and fault of Cathay ground staff. After this experience, I can say with absolute conviction that I will never ever fly with Cathay ever again. I can I assure you also that the others who had their stuff suddenly taken away from them will do the same. Imagine spending our hard earned money on gifts for our families only to have it taken away seconds before boarding without a single explanation. At least if we were told or notify in advance then we could have at least find other ways to send our gifts or to simply sell the damn thing. Or better yet, we could have put it in our luggages. Instead, it will be either enjoyed by the people who took it away or simply thrown away. One detail I forgot to mention is that the goods we bought at Tan Son Nhat aiport in Ho chi Minh city were properly sealed in security bags. We were told that as long as we didn't damaged or open the bag, we were able to bring it on board without a problem. Dead wrong as we found out. What really made me angry was the fact that nobody to this day ( even as I am writing this) from your customer relation ( I am assuming you do have one because you have this sit up) has bothered to email us or contact us to explain or apologize. Or maybe the people in this department believe that the customers were wrong and don't need an explanation because Cathay is just perfect. Well, its only me saying this, but keep this kind of customer relation's attitude up and I am sure you will get that award again next year. I am done with this company and regret I even took the 10 mins it took to write this to you. You don't deserve even this much time and attention. Remember, bad news travel like 'wild fire' and I am making damn sure I will email every contact I know, tell every soul I meet, and take every single opportunity as it presents itself in conversation to retell this. You guys truly madly deeply suck ###!! The flight attendants were cute though, that was the only thing this bloody company had going for it.

DELAYED BAGGAGE CLAIM

To, Date 29.08.08

The Incharge,
Cathay Pacific Airlines
Hongkong

Subject: Delayed Baggage claim Tag No. CX 274699

Dear Sir/Madam

This is regarding my travel with Cathay pacific from Cairns to Delhi on 23rd august via Hong Kong by CX102 and I have checked in 3 baggage’s and all baggage’s had been booked directly from Cairns to Delhi. Due to 10 hours delay of CX102 from Cairns, Cathay pacific had redirected our travel from Hong Kong to Delhi via Bangkok and I reached Bangkok by CX713 and from Bangkok to Delhi by IC 854. I have lost my baggage’s tag no. CX274699. I arrived to Delhi on 24th august at 4.30pm, immediately I reported to Cathay pacific regarding my baggage.

Even after continuous reminders to Cathay pacific, I have not received my baggage even after 28th august. On 28th august I have contacted to custom enquiry Bangkok and they reported me that my baggage was in Bangkok but it was unidentified and unclaimed. After my request they had given me new tag no. BKK CX16909.

Even though Cathay had not bothered the delivery of baggage. On 29th evening, I myself had collected the baggage with my expenses from airport. Although after 3 hours of paper processing, I also paid Rs. 150/ as warehouse baggage security fee.

As I had already informed to Cathay pacific that my baggage was important because it carries my original document as I was there for international conference ISME 12th.

I would like to claim the delayed baggage and convince with the delayed fee as I had already submitted.

Please find herewith a fee receipt.

Your’s Sincerely
Meeta Lavania
Ticket No. 160-[protected]

jayasuriya Feb 03, 2010

My nephew when came to srilanka from Singapore, his baggage was missing for 7 days .I wish to know cathay pacific direct email address to send all the relavent documents and the claim . Pl help

Rudeness of Inflight Service Manager

I took flight CX103 from Hong Kong to Brisbane on 27-July, seated 41C. It was not a pleasant flight already at the beginning because the plane's audio system was completely out of order.

The incident happened at around 2:00am HK time. The seat belt sign was on for quite awhile. I felt a bit cold and stood up trying to quickly get my jacket from the overhead compartment. I heard someone yelled at me from behind, spoke aloud "Do you know there is a turbulence now?" in a rude and extremely unfriendly tone. I know I was
not quite right but her wordings, tone, and attitude was so impolite and everybody looked at me. I am also surprised that one was the Inflight Service Manager. Indeed, she could speak directly rather than questioning me. I felt like a student being punished. I was surprised, and said "why you scold me?". She just denied that and say that "everything about safety has to be firm". I didn't argue with her and back on my seat, but I cannot accept that being her reason to speak rudely.

10 minutes later, I saw another woman who was sitting 7 rows in front of me left her seat going to the toilet. Another crew member came up
quickly, but that staff spoke softly, polite and sincere, asked the woman to return to her seat in Cantonese. Immediately I, and everyone,
can tell the difference of between the two.

Later I asked her name and she replied 'Jacky'. I told her that I am going to lodge a complaint against her. She said "fine, go ahead" and
again just said "everything regarding safety has to be firm". Furthermore, she said that "I am the most senior one here, I am the Manager!".

I totally agree safety is important. But her bad manner and attitude is unacceptable. Even though I was not right, I don't deserve such a insult. She is the most impolite staff I'd ever met in Cathay Pacific.

I lodged the complaint via CX website and a few weeks later a gentlemen called me. I am not satisfied with his routine response and he just credited me some asiamiles and considered this case closed. That's stupid because I can get similar mileage easily say by applied new credit card already. That mileage credit cannot compensate my insult from their most senior service staff on the cabin!

Cathay Pacific is not a good airline to fly with with such ill-tempered staff.

• Jh
    jhd Sep 25, 2008

The crew was right. You sound like the first person who would complain if you had been injured due to turbulence! What the language got to with it you got the message!

poor and rude customer service

Let me introduce myself: I am an Executive Director of a Mlaysian public listed company, who travels frequently in excess of 150, 000 km a year, and is member /card holder of several airlines: Cathay Pacific (Asia Miles no. [protected]), China Airlines (Emerald Dynasty Flyer SK 0048 172), Malaysia Airlines (Enrich Platinum no. MH [protected]), Singapore Airlines (KrisFlyer no. [protected]), China Southern Airlines (Sky Pearl Club no. [protected]).

On 6th August ’08 morning about 8.15am, I was queuing up at the Cathay Pacific Business check-in counter at KLIA for flight CX 720 departing 9.25am to Hong Kong thereafter onwards to Koahsiung by CI 626. I was taken aback as against the norm; there was a queue at the business counter, and also a very long one at the economy counter.

After queuing for some minutes I noticed a small word at the bottom of the TV display screen above the counter, reading “cancelled”. There was no staff to inform us in the queue, what the problem was, and what arrangements for the travelers were. The counter staff was busy engaging with the traveler one at a time, but each traveler would take a long time. As I had an important business meeting in Koahsiung, I couldn’t wait any longer in the dark, and at 9 am I cut the queue and approached the counter to enquire the situation.

Ms Susan answered me very briefly while she was attending to another traveler. She requested me to come back at an hour’s time, purportedly she would try to put me on another airline, the Malaysia Airlines flying to Koahsiung via Kota Kinabalu taking off at 12 noon. I told her if that was the arrangement, then a booking of seat must be secured now, but she just couldn’t spare the time to do it!

I was very disappointed with the service, if I didn’t go to the MAS counter myself and book a seat, I can’t guess in an hour’s time whether there would be any seat left. Why the Cathay Pacific staffs were not prepared for any crisis management? If the travelers were told beforehand (ie while we were in the queue) what sort of arrangement Cathay staffs were contemplating at least we could decide whether there were any other choices.

As it panned out I flew MAS flight MH 086 at 12 noon, and reached Koahsiung at 6.50pm instead of originally scheduled to reach at 4.35pm. I missed the meeting with my staff in the evening. It was very frustrating experience of inefficient service and uncaring attitude towards customers.

To add salt to injury, I had another encounter of rude treatment at the boarding gate no. 28 at Hong Kong airport for flight no. CX 725 travelling back to KL on 8th August 08. Both the Business and Economy boarding counters were jammed with economy travelers. I have to queue behind the economy travelers to board; even I waved and signaled my business boarding card at the staff, he wouldn’t pay any attention! How could he be so indifferent or even assume that there was no business traveler?

• St
    steve fenton Aug 25, 2008

copy of my latest sagaI am writing to complain about the unacceptable service received from you during the recent typhoon in Hong Kong.
    I am a frequent business class traveller. Your sales team approached my firm many times as they know very well how much we spend with your competitors and as a result I have just flown TPE to MAN (connecting via HKG, LHR with BA). I have two further trips already booked with you – TPE to LAX
    VQ6PZE/02 TPEOU 79V2002 AG 34303522 21AUG
    4. AA 7590 Y 01SEP MFRLAX HK1 0700 0910 O* E MO
    OPERATED BY HORIZON AIR
    5. CX 885 D 01SEP LAXHKG HK1 1310 #1855 O* E MO
    6. CX 468 D 02SEP HKGTPE HK1 1955 2140 O* E TU
    TPE to KUL (sorry don’t have the itinerary at hand right now) between now and October. I am the owner of a manufacturing & exporting company in Taiwan and apart from myself I am also responsible for purchasing tickets on behalf of my staff and customers. This equates to around 150 business class tickets a year for long haul flights.
    My complaints concern your service on the inbound part of a TPE - MAN return on 21 August 2008 ref MHLRCU
    1. I checked in at MAN 11.30 am and specifically asked check-in staff if there was any problem with my itinerary because of the typhoon. If they had told me there was, then I would have been happy to have stayed in MAN at my own expense and fly later. But, after phone calls to your office at LHR, they assured me my itinerary was OK. Yes they also pointed out I was flying on to TPE. Though it was a BA flight, you issued the ticket and BA is an oneworld partner. Why were they wrongly informed? It was apparent later that at this time you had already decided that you would deny me at LHR and it seems BA had done their best to contact you. At LHR, I was told at the transit desk to go outside to the T3 check-in desks. I was asked to wait a few minutes, but this turned into a 6 hour nightmare. Passengers were forced to wait in what amounted to a cattle pen. When asked if it was OK to leave the area to go and get a drink we were told not to do so because staffs were trying to sort flights out and might need to get back to us. At the same time, your staffs were unable to provide us with any refreshment or seating. After some 3 hours we still had no information. The time was now around 5.30pm. It turned into a total free for all with those shouting loudest getting attention. People expecting to board the 8.20pm flight were taken care of before people waiting for the 6.20pm flight. Your ground staff lacked the supervision and training to handle a situation like this. Is this the way you treat your customers, let alone your C class passengers? Why are your ground services so under-resourced and your staff so ineffectual? Why could they not at least offer people a drink somewhere, especially as I was unable to obtain lounge access during this time?
    2. An hour into my wait at LHR, I suggested I could fly out the following day if you could provide a room for the night. Why could nobody make a decision about this? Is it so complicated? They simply refused they sighting they had no authority at all to allow any passengers in Y, C or F to stay in a hotel at the expense of Cathay.
    3. I was handed a letter to say that onward flights from HKG would not be departing and that passengers transiting there would not be able to board in LHR as there was insufficient hotel accommodation in Hong Kong. This just led to further confusion and crowd control issues. We were just rudely told to carry on standing there. Again, why couldn’t your ground service provide an acceptable level of service to at least your C passengers? Surely Cathay Pacific could find hotel accommodation in Hong Kong for its premium passengers if it had wanted to, I spoke to a HK friend just after. She told me that hotels were certainly not full during the typhoon.
    4. Then a further letter was given to us saying we should go home or find a hotel at our own expense. We should call after midnight Sunday. What kind of service is this? You let me depart Manchester having reassured me that the typhoon was not a problem, but don’t take responsibility for this? Plus what am I actually supposed to do, ring around local hotels myself? It seems you were trying to fob people off in London to avoid the cost of providing accommodation in Hong Kong (or London).
    5. By around 6pm I called BA and Qantas to ask for availability to Bangkok for connection to TPE. BA told me they had 8 seats in C class and 4 seats in F, Qantas also had seats available. I then checked with Korean Air, Thai International and Singapore Airlines to find they also had availability in C class with connection options to Taipei.

But when I asked your staff, they told me that there were no seats available on BA or Qantas. I should either fly back to Manchester at my own expense, or book a hotel in London at my own expense. When I pointed out that those airlines did have availability, they said they could transfer me but I would have to pay for my own onward flight to Taiwan.

Rather than being helpful, your ground staff were needlessly obstructive, and either lied or are at best were reckless as to the truth. Their attitude was obstructive and antagonising. Why could they not get me on a flight to Taipei when there was availability with these carriers? When this was pointed out to the staff, one of your senior ground staff openly said in front of other passengers, that it was too difficult to talk to BA or Qantas as they are in a different terminal.
    6. Having rejected these useless offers, at 8.30pm I was offered Economy class in EVA to Taipei. Once again, I checked with EVA to discover that they have C class available. So then your ground staff agreed to fly me in C class and assured me that transferring my luggage would be no problem. But on return to EVA, they said that they are unable to retrieve my luggage and sent me back to you to post a missing bag claim with less than 15 minutes before boarding closed... This is before I have even left London. Moreover this to-ing and fro-ing with your staff left me with so little time before EVA’s departure that I had to run to the gate – all this after waiting 6 hours at your check-in during which time you could have offered me the EVA flight in the first place. So, is it your policy for ground staff to try and “bargain” your premium passengers down by offering them flights short of their final destination or in a lower class of travel? Is wrongly stating that there is no availability when there is part of this effort?
    7. To make matters worse, when the EVA flight refuelled in Bangkok, I received 2 sms and 2 emails telling me my flight was cancelled. Now what is the point of this? It would appear to demonstrate that you had known for some time that the flights were in doubt – but still I was flown from Manchester. Incidentally, the typhoon was forecast some 4 days before it arrived in Hong Kong, so you had time for contingency planning. I have firsthand knowledge of this now as USA passengers and some UK passengers were re-booked to avoid all of what I had to endure.
    I personally fly in excess of 300, 000 miles per year and with a variety of airlines. Disruption during typhoons is understandable but this is hardly the issue here. Your staff were poorly trained and under resourced. They were unprepared for a situation such as this and reduced to pathetic fire fighting and fobbing off.
    Your staff seems happy to use misinformation (e.g. availability on other airlines) as a way to persuade passengers to either pay for their own hotel accommodation or to accept journeys short of their destination or in a lower class of travel.
    I purchased a C class ticket from you… the simple act of turning me back at MAN, or phoning me earlier in the day and advising against travel would have averted much of this nightmare. Alternatively with a little planning I could have been re-routed earlier so I wasn’t left standing at check-in for 6 hours.
    The purpose of this letter is not to seek any kind of compensation. But given such a monumental breakdown in customer service, I would appreciate:
    1. Answers to the above questions. It would satisfy me to know to what extent the above actions by your staff were Cathay policy. This seemed to be an institutional failure, not a case of a few individuals needing retraining.
    2. A credit to my account in respect of the airmiles for this route. Since ultimately I was transferred to EVA, I’m not sure if this will happen unless I ask.
    I would like to continue flying with Cathay, but I’m sure you’ll appreciate my confidence in your service to C class travellers is somewhat lacking right now.

• Fl
    flyhi152 Feb 11, 2011

Some of the Cathay employees belong to a chinese chicken market and maybe in China this way of treating customers is acceptable. I traveled only once with them and was treated so rude that I decided that this airline does not exist for me anymore.

• Mr
    mr.muas Sep 04, 2012

claims of scheduled to depart amsterdam on 06 july has been delayed until monday 9 july...

MR.MUAS
    NO.FLIGHT CX 270.
    ASMTERSDAM, HONGKONG, BALI, JAKARTA..

wiht this we as customer waiting a compensation from the corresponding flight..

• Be
    bee39888 Jun 26, 2017

Agree... poor service...

Very misleading advertising and many disappointed and furious Cathay passengers

Dear Cathay

I travelled with your airline Sydney to Hong Kong Business class Friday evening 15 Feb 2008 on CX 138 I was in seat 12H. I had booked on Cathay as I needed an evening flight and I needed to get a good sleep on the flight to do business the next day after a further flight to Beijing. I had paid full business class fare only to find an OLD plane which did NOT live up to the "Flat out to Hong Kong " advertising slogan. The seats were awful, the trip consequently a very unpleasant experience, and business the next day went poorly because of lack of sleep.

ALL the business class passengers on that flight complained to the senior stewardess that they all had paid top dollar for the pleasure of a flat bed to Hong Kong. We were told we had the option of not flying on that flight and we could opt for another airline. The stewardess said only once per week or LESS did a more modern plane fly the Syd Hong Kong route and passengers like us in business class were often complaining about it.

I completed my flight and my business and returned Hong Kong to Sydney on Tuesday evening 19 Feb 08 on CX 161, sitting in seat 12 C, business class, only to find again an old plane, nowhere near a flat bed and again a very miserable bunch of travellers in business class. Again we were told we could complain !!! or choose not to go on the flight !!

I have decided not to travel Cathay again. I was a friend of the late Sir Edward Scott, a senior executive with Cathay based in Sydney a few years ago and I know he would have been disgusted be the performance of Cathay in this instance ; a once great airline that now advertises one thing, takes passengers' money, and then provides a poor quality substitute service and then says " So Complain " ! I talk frequently to my patients about airline travel, as my interest is venous thrombosis, including travel-related thrombosis, and believe me the poor standard of Cathay now frequently comes up in conversation.

I hope things improve in your airline and that truth may reappear in your advertising. If not you will have a large number of disappointed and angry former clients.

Yours faithfully Dr G Mark Malouf Surgeon 236 Edgecliff Rd Woollahra. 2025 Sydney

Australia

• Li
    Linda Gail Arrigo May 29, 2008

Dear Sirs:

I am writing this letter as a warning to others who may be traveling now at the beginning of the summer rush.

Despite my busy teaching schedule, I had to return to San Francisco for a week for my father's memorial, May 18, and to clean up his personal papers.

Seats were only available on Cathay Pacific, through Hong Kong, and on Eva, but the former was much cheaper and the time convenient, so I booked Cathay Pacific for May 13 and 19. Due to family activities, I wanted to stay for one more day ? and lost my
    confirmed seat. I thought I would get on within another flight or two by waiting at the airport, and Cathay Pacific had two flights a day. There was no future waiting list; you had to get to the airlines check-in counters about four hours in advance to put your name first on the waiting list for that flight. Finally, in the middle of the night, the check-in desk admitted that it was useless to wait, they had overbooked the flights by 35-55 passengers for every flight (about 380 passengers per plane) for at least the next
    ten days! The next confirmed seat available was 20 days hence! Cathay Pacific also refused to make other travel arrangements such as re-routing, or to endorse the tickets over to airlines such as United or Eva that had open seats.

I also met several other passengers who had come from the Midwest or from Texas via other airlines without confirmed seats on Cathay Pacific, who were likewise stranded. One of my
    acquaintances from Taiwan that I ran into in the waiting line, Christina Tang, was after waiting a day given a new booking and route through Seattle on Eva by her connecting airlines, American Airlines, with no help from Cathay Pacific. Those overbooked with confirmed seats were, however, given US$400 compensation and seats the next day; from observation, it seemed about a dozen people were thus compensated each flight.

Overall, it seems to be extremely irresponsible and in fact probably fraudulent for an airline to sell tickets for many more people than it can carry. I had no choice but to finally buy a ticket on another airline to return to Taipei for my work, and save the
    Cathay Pacific ticket for another trip within six months. It would have cost me over US$2700 to buy the round-trip Eva ticket at the airport, but fortunately my stepmother was able to call around the Chinatown travel agencies and buy the ticket for me for US$1475, just a little more than it would have cost me to buy the Eva ticket in Taipei to begin with. At least it was a direct flight home to Taipei. I'll look forward to seeing my stepmother again in August, but not to seeing the Cathay Pacific check-in counters
    again.

Linda Gail Arrigo
    Humanities, Taipei Medical University

lost luggage

my complaint is in regards to my luggage that was lost in a changing flight. i flew from sydney to hong kong...

Poor crew manager attitude!

First of all, my flight was delayed due to bad weather. On top of that, I've to wait at the LAX airport check-in counter for more than an hour due to computer breakdown. On the plane, I was a bit slow and took me some time to work on my carry-on because I had two babies with me. A male crew saw me and quickly respond and assist me to lift up my carry-on to the upper compartment. I really appreciate his help and his courtesy to the customers. He then left.

Within seconds, the crew manager march to me with a high-tone full of anger telling me that her crews are not mean to assist customer with their carry-on luggage. If I can't lift my own luggage, I need to check-in the luggage. I told it's just the babies needs and what's wrong with a male crew helping me so as we can everyone settle down and take off sooner. She ignored my comments, and continue saying that it's not the crew member work to assist us with our heavy luggage and she pointed it's all my fault for bringing the heavy luggage. She then continue that she'll report my case to the airlines, and walked away.

What was that suppose to mean? What kind of attitude was that?

And of course that took the male crew just couple minutes time to help me. Maybe that couple minutes could be use to work on something more important or something life and dead which I'm not aware?

I really think she owes me an apology.

• Ia
    Ian Liang Jan 24, 2008

What do you expect from a Chinese airline? Cathay are getting worse and worse since they became Chinese.

• Je
    Jeffrey Teh Jul 14, 2008

i was so excited to know that I've bought myself a Business class ticket to Sydney (CX101) as a birthday gift. The reason i decided to lash out is because Cathay Pacific Airways introduce the new business class.

On 29th June 2008, i was ready to be onboard and i was shocked to know that I'm on the oldest domestic business in the whole world. The seat was horrible and it was nothing like i imagine or like the advertisement.

I wrote and raise my concern and to know that they change the Aircraft without notice nor any compensation. They even wrote back that "the new business class is on selected flight only" and ask me to check before i Fly, Which i did.

as a frequent flyer with Cathay, they have really disappointed me with this attitude and management.

I swear i will not fly Biz with them until they beg me with free first class.

• Pa
    Patricia Ritchie Jul 15, 2008

My husband and i came back from Hon kong on flight no cx171 on the 28th of June we had a tv that did not work and seats that didn't matct the screen any way when we asked fore better seating they sead that the seats were all full but there were empty seats so as we have both got sour necks it meat we didn't get to watch anby programs on the unit at all.
    As we payed full price for our ticket we expected better siverce.
    regards Pat

REWARD POINTS FORFEITING.

ASIA MILES REWARD PROGRAM IS BOGUS AND FAKE, DON'T TRUST THEM , IT IS ATTACHED WITH CHINA BASED AIRLINE CATHAY PACIFIC.

This chinese reward program will forfeit all your points by systematic delay tricks. You can never get reward points redeemed. At any given time their flights are fully if you try to seek journey by using reward points. It is a big hoax. All your points will will sytematically deleted /forfeited by lapsing process.

I have generated many thousand points, but today every thing is gone, made many many attempts to redeem them but always their seats are full even before 6 months even before 1 year.

Just forget this airline or reward points. Use other airline where you or your business will be respected. But this china based airline run by cunning crooks, who wants to generate money by all means.

We all know how chinese buisness works, it is counterfeit, or money loss, or poor quality or lead coated toys. Theyfall in to similar kind of service and ripoff.

• Ya
    Yashpal Jun 03, 2008

I am suffering the same fate...after a few months I started thinking that they are delibrately doing this and then I found this page after a google search.

• Sh
    Shyan Oct 05, 2010

I wholeheartedly agree. We booked our flight months in advance and were told that if wanted to upgrade to business class we had to purchase Economy K class (note, this is a few hundred dollars more than the economy base price and we have three people!). So after purchasing the K class, we were told to call back in another month to check on the upgrade status. We called and got the same response, this time to call back two weeks prior to departure. We call back and guess what? There are no more business class seats. Normally, I wouldn't be that upset, but my son was able to go to their website and reserve business class seats...which proves that there are still seats remaining. Even my travel agent ( I guess they have access) tells me that 18 seats are still available. Now, my question, why are they not releasing those seats for upgrades? I'm a silver member and travel at least twice a year, then what's the use of my mileage points and going with Cathay? This is the last straw, I'm going to fly with another airline who appreciate their customers.

• Dr
    DR ONG Feb 27, 2012

I GOT MY AIR TICKET THRU MILEAGE, AND RIGHT NOW WE'RE TRYING TO MOVE OUR DATE FURTHER BUT THERE'S NO ONE I CAN TALK TO. THE
    1-80018553838 IS NOT WORKING AT ALL, STAYED ON THE PHONE FOR QUEING & WAITED HOURS WITH THE MACHINE. NO ONE CAN TALK TO. ITS REALLY NOT FRIENDLY AT ALL. I EVEN EMAILED THEM THRU ASIAMILES EMAIL ADDRESS, STILL, NO REPLY. HOW TO CHANGE IT ONLINE? SITE IS NOT FRIENDLY TOO. SO HOW DO I POSSIBLY CHANGE MY FLIGHT? EVEN CATHAY PACIFIC OFFICE IS NOT HELPING, WENT TO THEIR OFFICE TELLING ME THEY HAVE NO WAY OF CHANGING FLIGHT IF TICKET TAKEN FR MILEAGE. SO WAT SERVICES CAN WE GET THRU 1-800, N LOGGING IN TO THEIR WEBSITE.

Chris DDS Mar 05, 2012

Absolutely correct. This is the same nonsense I have been dealing with as well. All call centers are busy and I have not been able to reach an agent for over 2 weeks. Cathay Pacific blames this on a new upgraded computer reservations system, and apparently the staff do not know how to use it, causing tremendous delays. Go online and check the "manage My Booking" section. This only works for certain fare classes, however. If you are on an economy class V or class M for example, you can not change online. If you booked with award points or are trying to upgrade, you usually can not make the change online either. I too visited an office and they were unable to make changes (waiting for head office to respond). The only way I was able to get my urgently required date is by paying a significantly higher fare to change to a higher fare class. Staff seem to not understand or not care about my explanation that seats in my original fare class WERE available. A local agent called me to offer the seat, and then while ON THE PHONE WITH ME seconds later said that, oh no, the seat disappeared (was taken by another agent making a booking somewhere). I understand far conditions, but it is unreasonable to make the customer pay for these problems when there is currently NO SERVICE available from Cathay Pacific. I suspect there are MANY people affected in this way due to the delays. I suspect many will complain and I don't think it;s possible and I certainly don't think Cathay Pacific will be willing to do anything to compensate. I am absolutely furious. the only way I would consider using this airline again is with a one way ticket bought last minute. They are just too unpredictable and you can never count on being able to reach staff or have any changes made. Long ago before the current disaster, I waited on hold for hours in Singapore before getting through to an agent to change a return flight as well. This airline has such a good reputation. Service is the air is OKAY if there are no complications, but service on the ground is abysmal. I paid an unfair fee to change my fare class because it's worth it to me to now be able to manage my booking online and not have to wait on hold r speak to another one of the staff. THAT is valuable. The lesson learned to never fly with this airline again is priceless. Look online and you'll see review after review of unbelievable things happening. It's schemes and tactics are even worse than airlines in USA. Add to that the uncomfortable seats, below average food, and awful beverages I don't understand how people can like this airline. Business class might be much better.

• Ro
    Roger7 Jan 15, 2013

BKK-MILAN OR ROME. IN JANUARY I TRIED TO REDEEM AWARDS FOR TWO BUSINESS CLASS TICKETS FOR TRAVEL DATES IN FEBRUARY, NO SEATS.I THOUGHT IT WAS TOO LAST MINUTE. THEN I TRIED 6 MONTHS IN ADVANCE FOR JULY STILL NO SEATS. I GOT A BIT SUSPICIOUS. I CHECKED THE SEATS FOR THE FULL MONTH OF JULY DAY BY DAY FOR BOTH ROUTES BKK-MILAN-BKK, BKK-ROME-BKK, NOT ONE SEAT AVAILABLE FOR THE FULL MONTH OF JULY. THEY KEEP YOU ON WAITING LIST FOR MONTHS NOT UNDERSTANDING THAT A PASSENGER HAS TO BOOK HIS CONNECTING FLIGHTS ONLINE, REQUEST FOR VISA WHICH THE PROCEDURE TAKES 15 DAYS FOR EUROPE AND US VISA. HAVE BEEN ON HOLD FOR GOOD 45 MINUTES TO AN HOUR AND HAD CONVERSATIONS WITH ASIA MILS FOR ONE AND A HALF HOURS, THE STAFF TRY TO HELP BUT ARE MORE THAN SURPRISED THAN ME THAT THEY CANNOT FIND A SEAT AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT THE MONTH. AT ONE POINT THEY EVEN SUGGESTED WHY DONT YOU REDEEM IT FOR SOME OTHER STUFF. AS A CUSTOMER WHO CHOOSE TO BE A LOYAL MEMBER OF ASIA MILES AND ARE ENTITLED TO GET WHAT THEY WANT. MANY OF US PURPOSELY COLLECT MILES TO GET A VACATION, THE MILES HAVE NOT COME FREE THE COST OF MILES HAVE BEEN INCLUDED IN AIRLINE TICKET FARES OR CREDIT FEES WHICHEVER WAY EACH MEMBER HAS EARNED THEM. THEY SHOULD NOT TREAT CUSTOMER THINKING ASIA MILES CAN GIVE CUSTOMER ANYTHING THEY FEEL LIKE GIVING, YOU HAVE INDIRECTLY CHARGED US FOR THESE MILES AND SHOULD HONOR THEM. AS A MEMBER OF THAI ROP PROGRAM AS WELL, ITS A VERY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE REDEEMING TICKETS, INSTANTLY YO ARE ADVISED ON ALTERNATIVES TO MOVE YOUR DATES TO GET A CONFIRMATION OR A BETTER CHANCE. BUT STAFF OF ASIA MILES HAVE NO INFORMATION WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE FLIGHT WHAT FLIGHT SHOULD YOU MOVE TO TO GET THE CONFIRMATION (ACTUALY NOTHING IS AVAILABLE SO WHAT THEY CAN SUGGEST :) AS A ASIA MILES MEMBER YOU ARE TREATED AS A BEGGAR, IF SOME SEAT ARE KEFT UNSOLD THEY MAY CONSIDER PASSING IT ON TO CUSTOMER REDEEMING AWARDS.