CareingtonPoor / nonexistant discounts

This was my first and last experience with this company. I contacted them initially after googling dental insurance. I downloaded a fee schedule that was a total fabrication filled with misleading fee comparisons and outright fraud. What is worse is that when i went to the dental office that supposedly accepted the plan for a teeth cleaning they totally blew it off and after an exam gave me a detailed ala carte menu of cleaning services which came to $380. 00. This i was told by the technician was what a complete cleaning cost.

The careington fee schedule i downloaded and was subsequently sold to me by the rep i contacted when i signed up was as follows:
Cleaning - - $94. 00 fee with careington 501 plan $$27. 00 savings 71%.

If it's to good to be true it is. The dentist, coast dental in cape coral, fl (One office of a large corp with many offices) , that careington'se discount price of $27. 00 was only for polishing the teeth and that his ala carte price of $413. 97 was the non discount price for a total teeth cleaning. In my opinion both of these entities are practicing fraud and deceit on a large and consistent scale.

To make matters worse only 2 days had elapsed since i signed up with careington and when i called them to cancel they refused to return my my $20. 00 service fee. I am still fighting this. What has happened to the dental industry??? These corporations have turned it into a used car lot. For more info google careington / fraud.

An additional note: i contacted kris virgin of careington at the number listed on his rebuttal and he assured me of a complete refund. We will see if i get it.

Joe Halloran Sep 17, 2018

Our experience with Careington over last 4 years has been pretty positive. Our dentists have been competent and trustworthy with us - they accept and recommend Careington. FWIW.

• Mi
    Michael Blastt Aug 24, 2018

Its a SCAM. The discounts don't exiist. The Dentist within the network have devised a plan to come together amd create a false plan the works for them, and not the consumer/patient. The plans petitioners are "labeled", as targets when your walk through the door, and given "The Plan" prices for dental work, which are Inflated, in turn hugely discounted to appear as if your paying less for service, which in all actuality, your paying regular price for that treatmemt.
    Its a Dentist Racketeering conglomerate. The perfect skeem..

• Fm
    fm1224 Aug 26, 2016

My 2 cents while researching on the net bout dental insurance vs discount dental plans. I read a lot, watched Youtube videos, etc. My 83 year old mother been using these kind of plans for years and is content with them and the fees are real. I talked to her at length the other day and she still stands firm on her stance. I also found out my sister in law been using for years also with nothing but positive things to say. My brother has it too, and he just told me he needs 2 crowns for $400 something each. He said that like he didn't even know what they cost. I told him on average they are around a grand and he should throw a party. I read every review here, and the one before the last sums it up, I believe that one. What it comes down to is the dentist. Work finding a dentist going backwards. Call a few dentist that have a good reputation and ask if they take any discount dental plans, and if so which ones, then again work it backwards from there till you can find the discount plan you need. Careington is one of the main ones, and agents sell theirs under another name to make money. Dentist probably figure they charge one person 1000 with NO insurance, one 700 with, and one 600 or same with a discount dental plan, they probably figure it all comes out in the wash, why turn away money. It all depends on the dentist, you gotta find the right one! Call first, do a little homework, it should pay off. If you don't want to go to a specialist, find a dentist that does root canals, if that is what you need. The dentist who refers you to a specialist probably is to lazy to do one or may know you have a discount dental plan and don't want to accept the discount, or who knows why. Root canals need to be done right! if they aren't the nerve in the tooth will become infected ALL the nerve must be removed. I once had one done in Canada, the dentist I thought did a good job, but seemed to be going a little quick. Years later it got infected and I bout lost my tooth. I had to have a RETREATMENT from a specialist, crown, etc. my tooth survived. Try to never have any of your teeth pulled VERY IMPORTANT! once a tooth is pulled and NOTHING is left in it's place, the one above or below it will start to come out cause it has nothing to meet against. From what I gather insurance is a pain and I've read nothing but bad things bout it, pretty sad! The discount dental seems to be an alternative that can make all parties content.

• Ke
    Kevin Herring5051 Jul 13, 2016

I worked there. It is a scam. They taught me to steal, and then stole from me. After I was pressured to sign up a disabled person that trusted me to help her, I quit. Been a month and they still have not paid me a portion of my base hourly pay. I can still hear the woman I signed up in my head. Feel guilty about it all the time. Business as usual there.

• Mr
    Mrs. Richard L. Taylor Jul 03, 2016

I read the other reviews BEFORE I BOUGHT CAREINGTON and saw you need to do some legwork. FIND A DENTIST THAT WILL HONOR THIS PLAN and will give you their CURRENT price schedule IN ADVANCE so you know what you will save.

In June of 2016, I went to a new dentist and was told I needed crowns - 2 to 3 – and was looking at about $1200 per tooth and that each tooth would take 2-3 visits and about a months time to complete the process per each tooth so, they were talking months of dentist visits – eeeeh! – at a price that was higher than I could afford.

I looked online for dental insurance and found they wont cover crowns for a year and max out at $1000 a year so it was pointless to obtain. Then I found Careington who covered immediately. However, the dentist I saw DID NOT TAKE CAREINGTON so, I went to the Careington website and entered my zip code to find a dentist who did.

NOTE: BE SURE TO CALL THE DENTIST OFFICE DIRECTLY TO MAKE SURE THEY STILL HONOR THE PLAN before setting up an appointment. Once I found a dentist I liked, I purchased the Careington plan, and since it is immediately active for use, saw the new dentist at their next open appointment.

Having to search for a dentist who honored the Careington Plan turned out to be a blessing in disguise because this legwork was how I found a dentist at WOODBURY SMILES in Woodbury, MN who not only took CAREINGTON but also offered state-of-the-art, CEREC crowns that are made on site and installed in one single office visit!

The real kicker was I could also go with a step-up for a more durable crown on these molars and not have to worry about cracking like I would with regular crowns.

I was THRILLED to get my first gorgeous, state-of-the-art crown in ONE office visit – yippee! The tooth looks - and feels - as though it was made by GOD HIMSELF!
    It is that beautiful. Thank you Dr. Mitchell!

I was VERY IMPRESSED with the high quality service, the super high-quality materials and workmanship and, most importantly, the fact that, thanks to CAREINGTON, I was able to receive all this amazing work at a price that actually came in UNDER the quote that I got from the other dentist for run-of-the-mill crowns. Now that’s what I call truly AMAZING!

Thanks to CAREINGTON, I not only saved money and got a MUCH BETTER product and EXCELLENT SERVICE but, most importantly, I saved my smile.

I am sorry you did not have the same experience because my experience has me saying "THANK YOU, CAREINGTON and THANK YOU, WOODBURY SMILES!"

• Ta
    Tammy Creo Jun 10, 2016

This company is a fraud, the prices that are shown on the Schedule 501 are only if a regular dentist dares to do the procedure, in other words, if you neighbor or friend can do the extraction of the root canal, then Careington will honor those fees. If you are referred by your dentist to see a specialist like a Periodontist, Orthodontist or Surgeon, then you have to pay 80%. And they only pay 20%.
    Basically, the company is a fraud and a liar, and it should not be in business.

Jack Ackworth Dec 15, 2015

I purchased a Carrington Dental Plan for 2015. My dentist said it was a good plan when you don't have insurance. I probably saved a little over after deducting costs. I'd estimate that it was probably $100 or less. My problem with this plan is they have a web site with alot of information, some was close to accurate and some was not. I knew it was not an insurance plan, and I was satisfied with the plan. Today I noticed my credit card was charged $129 from Carington, a couple weeks ago I got an email telling me that my plan would end December 31, I glanced at it and deleted it because for 2016 I have a dental plan with my Health Insurance so I wasn't renewing it. I called and spoke to a less than professional customer service woman. When I ask why they renewed my plan without my request I got a very smart answer, "You approved it when you signed for it last year it's in the fine print under terms and conditions." I cancelled it today and will not ever use them again, I did not ask for a life-time agreement. As I said I was satisfied with the plan, but I despise nasty customer service people.

• Di
    dick48367 Jul 09, 2015

Careington is generally a pretty good discount plan. It works in most situations. you will save money. I have found that it doesn't work so well in one area . . . and that is when getting a crown. The dental group I go to will tack on an extra $360 (which they claim is the dental lab fee) on the Careington crown price . . . bringing the cost up to the national average for a crown. So a loophole takes away your savings. But you will know about the extra cost before they proceed so you don't actually get blindsided. Otherwise, plan works pretty good.

• Fo
    fotoworkz Apr 29, 2015

Your negative issues should be with the dentist & not Careington. I am writing this in April of 2015 & have used Careington with a wonderful local dentist for the past two years with no problems & great savings. Do your due diligence first to find a dentist that accepts it. If you have issues with the dentist not charging correctly, report him to Careington & find a different. Just yesterday I had a porcelain crown put in. With x-rays, nitrous, & core build up I paid $659 & saved over $500 from the usual cost.

• Ar
    Arpie Mar 07, 2015

Wow. After reading both pages of comments I don't know what to think. It seems to be a kind of marketing war and how do I know which group to believe? I can see where other dental insurance companies might hire paid posters, as has been suggested of the positive reviews, to post negative ones.

On Monday I will call a few local dentists, and get them to give me prices for this and some other plans I have been considering. I this one gets the lowest quotes I'll return and let y'all know.

• Se
    sentinelUS Jan 03, 2015

watch out for the faked, paid, positive supporters. Just click on their usernames and see that most of them only posted once

• Ca
    carefulone Aug 03, 2014

I have had Careington Dental Plan for 3 years and am very happy with it. The original dentist I went to who did not accept dental discount plans gave me an estimate for work to be done. (crown, root canal, fillings, etc.) The cost was very high. Also, the cost of the exam he gave me was very high. He did not accept any discount plans and referred me to a dental finance co. with a short pay-back time & very high interest rate. I signed up with Careington and went to a dentist on the list they provided. I had the work done for almost 1/2 less the cost of the original dentist's fees. I continue to use Careington because I know what I would be paying without the plan. And my "general dentist" did the root canals for the listed Careington fee. You can get quality dental care for the Careinton fees, and a dentist who will honor those fees. Sorry some of you have had bad experiences but probably the dentist you chose was the problem. If dentist quotes you higher charges than under the plan, find another dentist & complain to Careington.

• Af
    afckathy Jun 27, 2014

Wow. Some people clearly have no idea what Careington is. First of all, Careington International markets dozens of different products. They market "INSURANCE" to groups through employers, they have several "discount plans" ( which are NOT insurance) that are available to the general public.

There are TWO main discount programs - the Careington 500 Series and the Careington POS series. Each plan has different providers in the network. The 500 Series has deeper discounts than the POS, but the POS has more procedures listed with a negotiated discount then the 500.

Let's look at some of these complaints:
    Complaint - "I spoke with several dentists in my area to make sure it wasn't just my dentist and they **all** responded similarly. They won't even consider these discounts."
    Response - If you live in rural area, then chances are that your local dentist will NOT offer discounts to his clients. He doesn't have to because he/she has a captive audience. In areas where there is a lot of competition, then dentists DO offer discounts to get more clients.

Complaint - " There is NO way any quality dentist can consistently deliver quality care at theses fees. You may find a good dentist in the bunch, but he or she won't be there for long and stay in business"
    Response - Hogwash. If you knew anything about medical payments, then you would know that the discounted rate that members pay is VERY close ( if not more than) what the "contracted rate" is for insurance payments that medical professionals receive from insurance companies.

The non-refundable $20 admin fee - This money is used to pay people to process your application, get your ID card printed and mailed to you. Your $6.95 would NOT cover those expenses. Online applications/web sites also clearly lets you know that the $20 is non-refundable... it's everywhere. Quit complaining about something you should have known about.

As far as the 20% discount for specialists - It CLEARLY says that the fee schedule you see online is applicable to GENERAL dentists only. And yes, a specialist can charge whatever they want to charge for any procedure they do. Next time, shop some specialists in your area and find out how large the spread can be for the same procedure!

I'm very happy with Careington dental plan. My entire family uses it ( from CA to FL) and no one has ever had a problem with it. I have attached a copy of my dental bill so people can see how much I saved on one crown. My total bill was $1550 before my discount was applied. After my discount, my cost was $521. That's a savings of $1029.00 for ONE crown. Not bad to $15 a month for my family.

Comments

• Pa
    Paline St Amand Mar 09, 2014

I purchased this dental discount plan last July 2013 and have not used it. I requested to cancel as of April 1, 2014. I paid for 1 full year., When I called to cancel I was told I would I would not get a prorated refund. This is not an acceptable answer. But, if I would have paid monthly I just would just stopped paying and my plan would have been cancelled. I guess I will be sending a letter to the Better Business Bureau. This is Bad Business and poor customer service.

Pauline St Amand

angel200582 Sep 19, 2013

I recently purchased this dental discount plan also, my first appointment is tomorrow (Friday) I hope it is as good as people are saying, because I may end up needing a root canal on a front tooth and my job offers no insurance being iam only part time. and I know for sure I need some extractions and fillings. will post again after my appointment.

• Bo
    bouncybiker Sep 16, 2013

I contacted my dentist to see if they accepted the Careington insurance and they said they did, and quoted me a price on the POS schedule for several crowns I need based on the procedure code they have on my treatment plan. I looked online and the same prices are quoted there. Doesn't seem like a rip off to me - dentist accepts what the fee schedule states.

• Le
    Leduce Jul 25, 2013

The other reviews on here which are so positive regarding this dental plan MUST BE written by agents who are working for the 1Dental company offering the Careington 500 "dental discount plan." It's a huge joke played on the public seeking affordable dental care.

That is the only possible scenario. Why? Because this is THE WORST program I've ever been scammed into believing and paying for. I feel like a sucker, for sure. I should have listened to the numerous people who wrote honest reviews about how pathetic this "program" is.

I took the card to my dentist and they LAUGHED! They said they cannot believe how many people are sucked into this program. They wouldn't even consider it. They said it was one of the biggest scams today and that many of their patients foolishly buy into it.

After this encounter, I spoke with several dentists in my area to make sure it wasn't just my dentist and they **all** responded similarly. They won't even consider these discounts. This card is equivalent to toilet paper, basically. In fact, it's worse than toilet paper because it's more expensive and has NO USE AT ALL. Absolutely WORTHLESS!

Don't buy into the lies like I did! Save your time and money!!

**Now, obviously I don't know that this is the case, but I can allege with some serious certainty that the positive reviews written about this program must be written by agents working for the company!! ** I am QUITE familiar with this technique, as I am a professional in the marketing field and have found that this tactic is used constantly! They "hire" outside sources who spend time trolling the internet and adding positive reviews - a multitude of them (not just one) on the same review site in order to counteract the genuine ones - LIKE THIS ONE. They do this on every review site they can find for financial gain - they have no actual connection to the company itself. This is alleged, of course. But, I can basically guarantee this is what is happening.

DO NOT TRUST THIS! I have done my research. No dentist will accept, or even acknowledge, this "dental discount plan." HUGE WASTE OF MONEY.

• Be
    becca M Jul 10, 2013

I go to Aspen dental and I have asked many times about the careington plan and they told me that they would charge according to the fee schedule of the plan so I don't believe careington is the problem, I think it's the dentist you choose.

• Ta
    tatakh May 16, 2013

I called Careington Care to get information about renewing my plan. The operator was offensive and very confusing. She would say one thing and then change it to another. Her figures were incorrect and she kept changing them. I wanted to find a dentist in my area but she would not help me. I am going to cancel with Careington Care and don't recommend it to anyone. It's easier and cheaper to pay the dentist their usual fee.

• Lu
    ludmilasea Dec 11, 2012

Hello! I am self employed and have been for 5 years. For dental work used self pay so here is the numbers. Called my dentist. Their filling fell out paid previously $190 in January 2012. Got a quote to fix filling will be at least $175 plus $24 for X-Ray, in addition I needed cleaning that was quoted with exam $158. So total just for me was $357. My husband had to have cleaning and exam done too and possibly something else. Total that I was looking at $515 at least. I bought Careington 500. Found Dental office with the same day appointment which takes Careington 500. Let review my fees they waived exam and X-ray fee have 4 cavities very complicated 4 surface( my old dentist 200 per one $800), cleaning total 329 plus my husband cleaning and exam $ 87 total $ 416 plus 1 year of dental insurance $129.06.
    I saved $569.94 just in first visits and have healthy mouth and will go in 6 months. Needless to say I love it. If you like the plan do the math check dental office reviews and this plan works great. Dental office I called and went to :
    RUSSELL, MATTHEW
    COMFORT DENTAL-NOLAND ROAD

• Af
    afckathy Oct 10, 2012

Its simply amazing that people don't know what they have. It is CLEARLY stated everywhere that your discount at any specialist will be 20% off their normal fee. That's because specialists can charge whatever they want to charge. You still probably saved $500-$600 with your $7.00 membership fee didn't you?

majorshadow Oct 03, 2012

I was experiencing pain in a rear molar and suspected I needed a root canal. I went to the dentist and received the following: limited oral evaluation $33.00, an intraoral-periapical-each $11.00, and a bitewing-single film $12.00 (simply put, 3 individual x-rays) totaling $56.00, confirming the need for a root canal. Instead of performing the root canal the general dentist referred me to a specialist. Initially I felt relief, thinking I would have a root canal done for $400+ according to the fee schedule. Well, little did I know, that under the careington 500 dental plan, only the general dentists are held to that amount. When it comes to a specialist, you receive a 20% discount on whatever they charge. I repeat, on whatever they charge. Also, the general dentist informed me that after the specialist performs the root canal, I would need to return to him (gen. dentist) so that he could place a cap on the tooth. I contacted the office of the specialist and was informed that I would need to pay $76.00 for a consulation fee and $800.00 for the root canal, so much for the posted $400+ on the careington fee schedule. You see, although general dentist are trained to perform root canals, some will refer you to a specialist. Specialists can basically charge whatever they want. In fact, the customer service rep informed me that without the discount card, instead of $800.00, I would have been paying $1, 000.00+. I thought to myself, why not cut the middle-man out (general dentist) and go straight to the specialist who would conduct the xrays, root canal and the cap that's needed? Moral of the story, in order to get the prices listed on the fee schedule, try finding an all-in-one general dentist with a good reputation on root canals etc. Note: with an actual dental insurance plan, your out-of-pocket cost would range from $350.00 to $400.00. The problem is, is that you would probably have a 6 month waiting period before a root canal can be performed. While the cost of the careington dental plan is extremely cheap, I can't say the same for the treatment. Root Canals can cost up to $3, 000.00, try a 20% of that on a fixed income.

• Bi
    Bill 78628 Aug 30, 2012

I got the plan and have had one tooth extracted and two crowns and only paid according to the fee schedule I downloaded from the Careington website. I've saved a whole lot of money and am happy with my dentist. There is nothing on the fee schedule for implants but my dentist said he would give me a 30% discount because I have the plan. The receptionist needs to be told ahead of time what the fee schedule says I should be charged. What I saved only on the extraction more then paid for a year of the plan. I am happy!!!

magnumpi28 Jun 25, 2011

I signed up through maxdental.com (Jerry W. Crater) and was VERY unhappy and cancelled before i even recieved the welcome packet and Maxdental kept 20 dollars! I never even used it! Thanks Jerry!

• 1b
    1bob123 May 28, 2011

I have used the Careington discount dental plan for years and it has saved my family a TON of money. My $3, 000 bridge cost me $2, 100 after my discount, my wife's crown cost $472 ( was $800+) and my daughter gets her teeth cleaned at least 3 times a year. It's a great plan. Try it yourself. I mean - it's $7 freakin dollars a MONTH for a single person. Wadda ya want?

• Sr
    srchng4care May 05, 2011

no not true granted a dental office COULD NOT run with pts who only had careington that would be impossible most likely any dds who accepts careington accepts ppo's as well the amount the office gets from a cleaning no is not very much but when it comes to dental work thats a different story look through ALL the fees and next time dont talk about how a dental office runs if yourself doesnt even work in one?!?!?

• To
    Tom T1234 May 02, 2011

Please give me a break! If something looks too good to be true, IT IS! There is NO way any quality dentist can consistently deliver quality care at theses fees. You may find a good dentist in the bunch, but he or she won't be there for long and stay in business. Dentistry is a 70% overhead business for most dentists, and if the fee they are accepting is 50% lower than their usual fee, they are losing money treating you...UNLESS there is something fishy going on. From some of there comments here, there is a lot of fishy stuff going on. The ones that flourish is a plan like this are corporate dental mills that churn through the young dentists like crazy and often push unneeded treatment on the patients. I hate to say it, but that is the reality, and I see it all of the time. Take care of your teeth and see a reputable dentist who will work with you on cost if you need help in that area.

• Sr
    srchng4care Apr 20, 2011

dont be mad at careington we have pts that use it its not the best to use if you need like a whole mouth restoration it would still be less but you'd be paying alot its good mostly for those pts that dont or ever need dental work if you go to the dentist every 6months floss and brush you shouldnt be spending much time and or money at the dentist period

• Os
    oscarspaz Mar 23, 2011

dental office, your comments are interesting. I see your point but you missed some positives about dental plans like Careington
    1. For insurance, you have a filing cost - computer and software to file the insurance, someone to do the filing. For dental discount plan, no filing cost. Need someone to make a phone call to verify if your customer is a valid member.
    2. For insurance, I don't think you get pay immediately. For dental plan, customer pay by cash or credit card. Helps cash flow.
    3. For insurance, there is usually a maximum spending per year. Discourages a customer to get needed dental work done at the same time. For dental plans, no limit of usage. If a customer can pay, you can do all the needed work.
    4. Dental plans like Careington is doing advertising for you. I doubt you can have that kind of marketing reach without spending a lot of advertising dollars.
    I am not saying that you should join Careington or other dental plans. I am just asking you to look at it from a business/marketing viewpoint instead of just "we made less dollars" because we accept Careington Plan.

• De
    dental office Feb 24, 2011

I've read the comments above and am absolutely amazed. I work in a dentist office and we were contacted about becoming a participating dentist. We refused because the initial fee schedule was too low. The Rep told us that the fees were negotiable, we submitted a sampling of our fees to them and they sent back a fee schedule to us that was far above that advertised on the website or suggested by the posts above. Think about it, why would a dentist who has invested $1M or more in an education and practice purchase want to discount his/her fees below what is paid by Medicaid just because you signed up for some plan? This doesn't even pass the sanity test. We were thinking about becoming a provider and accepting the "negotiated" fees, but I am concerned about doing this because patients may not understand that we are honoring our contract with Careington even though the fees are significantly above the "sample fees" and discounts reported on the Careington websites.

• Fe
    Felix A. Jan 07, 2011

Hello
    I purchased the Careington 500 dental plan online about five months ago and have nothing but good things to say about the plan! I went in needing a root canal, post build up with a crown. I entertained (3) different estimates from(3) different dental offices without any insurance and none of them could come close to matching the careington discounts I received. I paid just under $400.00 on my root canal. Just for the root canal along I saved over $600 alone compared with the other different dental offices without no insurance! All I'm saying is "It worked for me". I had always carried dental insurance in the past until my medical retirement and now I'm force to evaluate and re-evaluate my every move concerning dollars out of pocket spent! I used the internet reviews in the past to help sway me. This might help you with your decision on this plan! When your in dental pain doubt. Why not take a chance.

• Ky
    Kyle44 Jan 06, 2011

As someone who used to work in the discount dental plan industry for several years I can attest that most often it is foolish to purchase a dental plan even if you don't have dental insurance.
    I have found when looking for a new dentist that they will often negotiate their fees below Careington's fee schedule and others fee schedules as well. It's a win win situation for both parties. You (the client) get a discounted rate and don't have to pay for Careington's fees and the dentist gets a new and loyal client.
    Kyle

• Ho
    HockeyGirlBoxer Dec 13, 2010

I purchased Careington a couple of months ago and have found the plan to be wonderful! I went and had x-rays and an exam for $70 due to dental pain, then I went back a few weeks later and had a cleaning for $34.oo. I have recommended this plan to many friends and the person who wrote this complaint probably went to a dentist that didn't honor the Careington plan, so the fault is with them.

MaxDental.com Sep 11, 2010

Here are the REAL facts about the Careington dental plan. First full disclosure: our company has represented Careington as brokers for 9 years, so we deal with their customers on a daily basis.

Yes, we do get a few complaints about dentists not honoring the discounted fee schedule. Usually this is a misunderstanding on the member’s part because they think the fee schedule applies to specialists as well as General Dentists (it doesn’t – you only get 20% off the regular price at specialists). Also, lab fees are not discounted, so the total price of a crown is usually higher than schedule. Not many procedures have lab fees. Careington has over 40, 000 dentists and we see a few (very small number) that add unreasonable charges to the bill. Careington’s Customer Service Department does an excellent job at resolving these types of problems. Most of our customers are VERY happy with Careington’s discounts (over 9 out of 10) and experience about 40% average savings at participating general dentists. Most of our business comes from referrals from dental offices that want to give a discount to patients with no insurance and referrals from existing members.

It’s easy to verify that Careington is a very reputable company and has been in business since 1979 (over 7 million members). Careington is a member of the Better Business Bureau.

Go to bbb.org – click “USA site”, click the orange bar “check out a business” and enter “Careington”. Click on the first link (Careington International) and you will see they have an A+ rating.

Many large companies use Careington’s network (like Humana, New York HIP). Also the National Association of Counties has partnered with Careington to offer a plan through county governments nationwide. (Search Google: national association of counties careington).

Be careful not to overpay for the plan. You will see a wide range of prices. That’s because Careington markets the plan through brokers. Brokers re-price the plan at their discretion (like a McDonald’s franchisee selling a McMuffin for $1 or $3). DentalPlans.com offers the 500 series plan for $139.95 per year for an individual. Our firm offers the lowest price on the internet: $6.95 per month (plus $20 one-time set-up fee). Our site is MaxDental.com. If you do a Google search for Careington, you will see us near the top of the results. We are a BBB Accredited Business.

Jerry W. Crater
    Owner
    MaxDental.com

JohnSt Sep 10, 2010

I had a lot of work to be done and Careington was recommended to me by Aspen dental in Pottstown. It saved me $3000 off my $7ooo bill. If you use Aspen, it will save a lot.

• St
    Stevepb Aug 18, 2010

Any time someone complains about Careington - or any other dental plan it's because they didn't get the discount they expected to get, or they can;t "call in" and cancel their plan because the company has to have an advanced notice . HINT: READ YOUR MEMBER TERMS OF SERVICE!

If you haven't been to a dentist in YEARS and want your teeth cleaned, then you will need a deep cleaning, xrays, scraping, etc. NO ONE is going to get that for $27. I've been using Careington for years and am very happy with my discounts. I saved $1, 000 on a bridge, $352 on a crown and my wife has saved almost a $1, 000 on work she had done in July 2010. Careington is NOT a scam. I've had it for years and use it in lieu of my "we won't pay for that procedure" Blue Cross Blue Shield "dental insurance."

• Te
    terryray Jul 02, 2010

There is so much mis-information above, it's hard to know where to begin.

1. Careington is a GREAT plan, and will save you money, IF you get a reputable dentist!

That's not rocket science folks.

2. If you say Careington is a scam because you run across a dishonest Dentist, you should be sued for slandering Careington. That's not free speech, that's a public lie hurting a reputable company.

3. If a complainer will merely set aside their paranoia for a moment, they will see that they can either (1) contact a different, more reputable Dentist, or (2) contact Careington about a Dentist who is not abiding by the rules, or whose Receptionist may simply not be "on board" yet.

You WILL save money. Think! Why would Careington want you to pay the higher prices? It has no benefit to them. Again, think!

4. We have gotten crowns, for example, for about $400. The other dentists in town are averaging $1100 for the same procedure. Cleaning is less than half!

Again, this is not rocket science, folks, but you may have to do a half-hours research to save hundreds of dollars! Too much to ask? Sheesh!

saintjames Jun 05, 2010

i recently found out about this insurance. now hearin that is a scam, what would be the best dental insurance to go to?

• Ca
    CapeCoral Chuck May 28, 2010

May 27, 2010
    For the past week, I researched numerous Dental insurance Plans and Discount Plans. Careington appeared to be a great plan... so I called three of their participating dentist for quotations.
    All three participating dentist quoted prices higher than the published Carington price list and they were also higher than non-participating dentists that quoted prices for the work (root canals and crowns) wherein I would be a self pay patient.
    The "Insurance" plans are designed to lock you into an HMO dentist. The PPO dentists did not offer any discounts to the patient, even if the dentists were a part of the "plan".

Why pay for membership or insurance if all you get is a fee or premium to pay to the insurance company or discount service?

My wife and I will continue to be self insured and self payers.
    We can shop around for the best price/service without paying any premiums or fees.
    Our goal is to get high quality work/service at realistic prices.
    I had the same disapointing experience as John Tiernan of Cape Coral FL when I contacted the dentist at COAST DENTAL in Cape Coral, Fl.
    I also contacted two other dentists on the Careington list and received the same inflated (non-discounted) rate quote.
    I doubt that there are any participating dentist willing to do the work at the published rates on the Careington website.
    Fortunately, I was able to learn what I learned before signing up for any program or incurring the unreasonable costs and billing at rates dramatically above the member prices.
    Careington and the other discount providers must provide their members with a guarantee of the published charges and go-to-bat for the member if/when the dentist overcharges for their work.

• Az
    Azlee May 20, 2010

I have been researching dental plans and came across Careington and it sounds really good. I did read a few negative responses but a few good too. So I guess the best thing to do is see for myself. I'm going to join the plan online through the 1dental.com website today, and need to see a dentist for work as soon as next week. I'll be sure to give my feedback. -Az

Comment Guidelines