CareingtonInternet web site

When you look at the website it says for prices on certain dental charges: Its shows what the provider will charge you, so its what you would pay for a crown. I went to the dentist in Sept. and had to get a bicuspid crown upper right side. The plan says you pay $ 446.00 dollars. So I thought well thats a good plan. Well guess what? What you see as to what you are to be charged for a crown is false advertisement. They are lying on the Internet Web Site. You will pay the Lab fee for the crown too, this is what they do not tell you. So It cost me $ 780.00 for my crown in all and then they charged me for teeth cleaning and 2 bite-wing xrays another $165.00 dollars. So I ended up getting a bill for $945.00 in all. This insurance is the biggest rip-off ever. If you have this insurance get rid of it as soon as possible... do not waste your money. Just type in
Careington Scams on the internet and you will see alot of Board Complaints of misled charges by its poor customers getting scammed just like I did. Now I am stuck with a huge bill.

• Af
    afckathy Nov 10, 2011

First of all, Careington is NOT insurance. It's exactly what it says it is - a discount plan. Now that I've corrected that inaccurate statement, let's discuss your other remarks. Did you go to a general dentist or did you go to a specialist? Every procedure performed by a dentist/specialist has an American Dental Association (ADA) number assigned to it which is usually a 4 digit number. The dental fee schedule that lists the ADA numbers and how much you would pay the dentist directly after the discount is applied is available online on every web site that markets Careington. If you get an exam by a dentist, it has a unique ADA number, a set of xrays has a unique ADA number and there are dozens of different types of crowns listed - each with it's own unique ADA number. Lab fees are NOT discounted. Why? Because most dentists do not actually make the crown in their office, but send it out to a local lab have it made.

You walked into a dentists office and paid a total $945 for an exam, a set of x-rays, a crown and lab fees. Without your Careington discount I'm guessing that your bill would have been at least $1, 500. I'm also guessing that you paid $6.95 to join Careington as a member. And now you want to complain online because you "think" a web site lied to you even though you saved over $500? Really?
    If you would have bought "dental insurance" you would have had to wait 6-12 MONTHS before you could have any work done. Did you know that?
    It's obvious that you did not have an understanding on how this program works and that's unfortunate because Careington is a great discount plan with MILLIONS of happy members.

So that the people who read this complaint will not get confused, here's a copied statement that EVERY member should read BEFORE they enroll. It's found at the bottom of EVERY fee schedule!
    *This schedule applies to services provided by a participating Careington General Dentist. The purpose of this schedule is to establish the maximum fee that a General Dentist will charge for each procedure. Member is responsible for all charges at the time of service. Participating Specialists (Board Certified or Advanced Degree) do not charge according to a fee schedule. Participating Specialists will give a 20% discount off of their normal fees. Fee schedules are subject to change without prior notification to members."
    *Procedures not listed on this schedule will be discounted at 20% off of the General Dentist's normal fee.
    *If the General Dentist's normal fee for any procedure is less than the fee listed on this schedule, the dentist will charge 20% off of their normal fee for that procedure.
    *Any procedure involving lab fees will incur additional costs. All applicable lab fees are the full responsibility of the member and are subject to no discount.

JODY23 Dec 04, 2011

If Careington is such a great dental plan, why are so many people complaining about it then?Just type in careington complaints or careington scams, and read them.

JODY23 Dec 04, 2011

• Ia
    I AM ALWAYS RIGHT Dec 04, 2011

Get a written copy of coverage, discuss it with your doctor or their insurance specialist prior to the procedures.

• Af
    afckathy Dec 04, 2011

"If the Careington dental plan is so great, why are there so many people complaining about it? Just google Careintgton complaints or Careington scams, and read them yourself."

OK. Let's look at the numbers. There are between 8 million and 9 million people who use Careington. As with ANY business there are going to be people who don't understand what they have, don't know how to use it... whatever. Some people complain because maybe the DENTIST didn't do a good job or tried to over charge them. Don't blame Careington for that!
    Want to read some of the questions members, or potential members ask?
    1. If I join now will I get a discount on the crown I had last month? No? Why not?
    2. It's Sunday afternoon and I have a dental emergency - which dentists are open on Sundays?
    3. Can I join today and cancel next week after my work is done? How come I don't get my $20 processing fee back?
    4. The dentist charged my $550! Your fee schedule read $475! I want a refund. What? Oh yes, I saved about $400 but I still want a refund. What? Oh yes, I used gas. ( Had the wrong ADA code on this one.)

It goes on & on & on. Take the complaints with a grain of salt. If you have the need - TRY Careington yourself. THEN if you decide you aren't happy - just quit. Simple. After all - there are over 8 million happy customers as of now :) Cheers.

• Ha
    Happy smiles for Carington Feb 29, 2012

Wow.. because people are complaining, I want to write in a thank you.
    Carington as a dental discount plan is great. Simple math. Delta Dental monthly charge $80.00 (approx) and there is a limit to what you can have done annually. it covers a basic cleaning and x rays. (part of your annual expenses limit) annual limit is 1000. your cost is 960. and they only cover you either 50 or 80% for cleanings. so you still have to pay for whatever you had done.
    here it is as a quick compare

Delta Dental insurance Annual limit Carington Annual limit
    80 month or 960 year 1000 120 total no limit

waiting period 6 mos to 12 mos no waiting for coverage

extra expenses the 20 or 50 % that is not covered discounts as noted

spouse EXTRA money per month spouse discounts w/no extra fees

really a great idea, better than most dental plans. you pay for the discount, use it and you get a discount. everything. no extra insurance paper work, just easy discounts. dental, braces, dentures, everything is covered at a discount. Thank you careington!

• Ha
    Happy smiles for Carington Feb 29, 2012

my post did not post as i created it.

here is the revised numbers.

delta dental - $960 a year with 1000 max treatment.
    wait for 6 months prior to getting a claim. wait for longer for braces or crowns.
    extras cost for spouse
    don't forget the other percent they do not cover in routine visits.

carington discount
    120 a year!! no maximum for treatements
    no waiting for discounts,
    NO EXTRA cost for spouse
    great plan for braces, dentures and every other discount dental need

• Tr
    Trina Lafferty Mar 04, 2012

I had an estimate of 3200 dollars for my daughter to get dental work done. I came home and researched dental plans through the consumer reports website. Then decided on careington. I made an appointment for 2 weeks later with the same dentist and paid 1569 dollars. I pd. 189 for a yr and received 3 months free. With the processing fee, thats 209.00 for 15 months of coverage, which already, in one visit saved me over 1500 dollars!!!

• Ke
    Kenneth Metcalf Sep 06, 2012

Over charge fees and referred back and forth with no dental work done .
    Very un happy and DO NOT Recommend Careington period !!!
    What a rip off.!

• Lu
    ludmilasea Dec 11, 2012

Hello! I am self employed and have been for 5 years. For dental work used self pay so here is the numbers. Called my dentist. Their filling fell out paid previously $190 in January 2012. Got a quote to fix filling will be at least $175 plus $24 for X-Ray, in addition I needed cleaning that was quoted with exam $158. So total just for me was $357. My husband had to have cleaning and exam done too and possibly something else. Total that I was looking at $515 at least. I bought Careington 500. Found Dental office with the same day appointment which takes Careington 500. Let review my fees they waived exam and X-ray fee have 4 cavities very complicated 4 surface( my old dentist 200 per one $800), cleaning total 329 plus my husband cleaning and exam $ 87 total $ 416 plus 1 year of dental insurance $129.06.
    I saved $569.94 just in first visits and have healthy mouth and will go in 6 months. Needless to say I love it. If you like the plan do the math check dental office reviews and this plan works great. Dental office I called and went to :
    RUSSELL, MATTHEW