Campbell Soupinsects in products

I purchased a can of campbell's chunky brand chicken & corn chowder on 12/4/06. Actualy, I had purchsed 6 cans of their soup in 3 varieties.

Opened the can and microwaved it and split it with my daughter. While my daughter was eating the soup she spotted something on her spoon. She wasked me what it was and I said probably a stem of some sort and took it off her spoon. I then looked at at closely and saw it was a worm! The insect looked like a maggot and was about 3/4 " long and fully intact. I called campbell's 800# on the can and they took all the info from the can and my contact info and said they would send a reimbursement check ($1.85?). I returned all of the remaining chunky soups to the store and I will not be buying their product ever again as obviously they have bad quality control. This experience was so traumatizing that I can't fathom eating a canned product of any kind ever. The customer service rep sounded like she gets these calls all the time which is truly disgusting. I purchased these products because my son plays pop warner football and always admired the commercials with all of the pro-football players and their moms. He has been asking me for chunky soup for months and for this to happen is disheartening. I am sorry but there is no excuse for an full insect to be in a can of soup. I feel as though all kinds of insects could be in their products just not detected.

• Ho
    holland Feb 24, 2008

Just threw out a can of chunky clam chowder from cambell's soup. It looked like it had black stick sort of spices... but since that is totally out of place in a clam chowder I investigated... and they had little LEGS! ewwwww... So glad I didn't eat it yet. Sale items down the drain. No money saved and peace of mind out the window. I usually make my own soups, wash my own veggies... and leave the bugs OUT!

• Sp
    spiralsands Jun 25, 2008

Oh god, I'm going home and throwing out any Campbell's soup that's sitting in my pantry. I wanna gag!!!

• Ke
    Kenzie Connolly Jul 09, 2008

Tonight I opened a can of Campbell's chicken vegetable condensed soup, poured it into the pot to heat it up and low and behold there was a 3/4 inch light brown BUG with lots of little legs.
    I honestly was so revolted and wanted to heave.
    I have written Campbell's an email complaining about it, and hope to receive a reply promptly, but who knows what will happen with these large companies.
    As a customer service representative I can guarantee that I will be receiving more than a cheque for the cost of the product. This type of quality control is completely unacceptable.

• Br
    Brenda O'Keefe Nov 22, 2008

Yes, we just pulled a full one inch caterpillar or mealy bug out of my daughter's bowl of Campbell's Hearty Vegetable Soup with Pasta. It's over an inch long and complete with legs, head, eyes. I've got pictures of it and contacted the 800 number, but they are only interested in sending some COUPONS out if I mail them the bug. Don't think so. I'd like to see them pull that load of cans off the shelf. Obviously inadequate quality control. Did any of you get better response? The lot is stamped Feb 20 2010. Yuck!

• Ti
    Tim H Jan 26, 2009

Yep, I was just having a bowl of Campbell's New England Clam Chowder "To Go" Meal, and I chewed on something strange and I spat it out, and I was chewing on a 1.5 inch dark brown insect leg. I'm pretty sure it was a cockroach leg, and upon further research on the internet I have confirmed it was definitely a cockroach leg:

This is what it looked like, without the hairs: http://neuromajor.ucr.edu/courses/Cockroach%20leg.jpg

I think I am going to puke.

denknidget Feb 05, 2009

OMG!!! My oldest son was suffering with the flu and last night was feeling hungry and craving clam chowder so my husband, baby, and I drove to the store and purchased 3 cans of Campbell's "Select Harvest" clam chowder. I heated it up and my sick son, my husband, and I had our bowls of soup. I added garlic, butter, and pepper and it tasted almost home made. My son liked it and wanted me to reserve a bowl for him the next day (today). I had been running errands late this afternoon and started to feel hypoglycemic from hunger. While I sat to nurse my baby, I asked my older son, who had been ill, for something quick to eat while nursing. He offered his soup. Clams are chewy but I felt compelled to spit out something that felt different than the texture of clam. As I observed it, I noticed a 3/4 inch segmented white worm!!! Tape worm???? Did I swallow a segment? Did my son and husband also? I am so sick! I thought this must be an isolated case but googled "tape worm in campbell's clam chowder" and found that on 12/04/05, there was another incident and this woman and her daughter found a worm that sounds a lot like mine. I feel so, as the mother put it, traumatized! I called the 800# and the woman who took the information assured me that she would relay to customer service and I'd get a refund. I was crying and sick and told her that I don't care about the money. I want to know what that "thing" was that was in my mouth that my husband and son also may have eaten, that this problem will be taken care of, and I told her that I can NEVER EVER eat another can of Campbell's soup of any kind.

denknidget Feb 05, 2009

I just wrote a complaint on finding a segmented worm in Campbell's "Select Harvest" clam chowder. I did some more online research and am feeling a little better. The worm that was found might very well have been a marine parasite called a planarian. As far as I know, it is not harmful (I hope that this is a fact) BUT it still should not be found in food. Worms, bugs, dirt (which I also found in the clams), feces, and whatever else that is not meant for human consumption should not be found in our food--especially in the USA! The safest form of protection from others harming us from negligence experienced through mass-produced food items is to go back to basics and make our own from scratch but who has time for this in a technologically- advanced world where we should have more time in the name of technology?

• Mo
    Moby1Kanobi Feb 07, 2009

I just encountered a different kind of experience with my Campbell's Chunky Steak and Potato soup. About half way through the meal, I bit onto something completely solid. As a result, it cracked one of my rear molars and now I have to get dental work done. After reading all the latter comments, I'm concerned about their response to negative experiences with their products. There has to be a way to get in touch with the appropriate party(s) that can resolve this issue. Do I want more than a refund for my soup? Not really. Do I want to be reimbursed for the cost of going to the dentist's office and for lost time and whatever pain and suffering I have to endure? You're DAMN RIGHT. And I WILL. I'm never buying their product again. For a company that has been around for so many years and is basically athe largest canned food manufacturer in the world; it's ridiculous that their quality control department is run so poorly, and not only that, but the people processing the food as well. Tsk Tsk!! I STILL HAVE THE ROCK!! :) If Campbell's reads these comments, I recommend that you respond to me, PROMPTLY, @ [email protected]

• Li
    Lindsey Zarbeck Jan 25, 2017

@Moby1Kanobi Just now, same soup, almost chopped down on a slightly larger than pea sized rock! I found your comment after searching if anyone has had that happen. You think it came with the mushrooms?

• Gr
    graycyn Feb 24, 2009

I too found a worm in my Campbells Chunky Sirloin Burger with Country Vegetables. I'm so disgusted. I had taken a few bites when I noticed this "thing" looks like a mealworm. I pray that it was the only one and I didn't eat one or its eggs. Yuck! I called Campbells and they are "forwarding" my complaint on to the quality dept. and sending me some coupons. Not sure if I could ever by their soups again though. Worse part, the soup wasn't even good. My husband bought the wrong kind. Go figure.

IvanMaldonado Jun 10, 2009

Well, my wife just found a huge (3 inch) chunk of sharp metal in her chunky soup. I was wondering if it's even worth writing to the company at all instead of some class action suit of sorts!

IvanMaldonado Jun 10, 2009

I attached a photo of the sharp metal found in my wife's chunky soup, but didn't show in my posting.
    Let me try again...

IvanMaldonado Jun 10, 2009

CSI-Jason. Shiny or not, the piece was there. It's not tin foil, it's the same make as the metal of the can's inside lining. Had I been trying to make this up, I'd go for a human finger in the chili instead. Enough for seeking this forum's suggestions (other than tips on how to stage a scam).

• Ca
    Carolyn McDaniel Jul 17, 2009

My mom bought a can of the "Old Fashioned Vegetable Beef" soup and she found what looked like a cockroach. It was a medium sized black bug with legs. I called the company for her to see find out what the would do about it. They offered to send me coupons for soup I will never ever by again. I actually will probably never buy and canned soup ever again.

• Lm
    lmfrank Oct 28, 2009

My sister just got her wisdom teeth pulled & can't eat any hard food. She was eating a can of Campbells Chicken noodle soup when she felt something lodged in the hole where her molar had been pulled. She thought it was a piece of chicken, but pulled it out to find a MAGGOT. She almost threw up. Called campbell and all they offered were coupons. Won't be using ANY of their food anymore.

• Jg
    jgood738 Nov 10, 2009

I just found a live inchworm in my Campbells Select Harvest Clam Chowder. It was floating on top and I scooped it out to discover it was indeed a worm and alive. I called the company and they offered me coupons..yeah right. I'm off canned soup now.

jalingra Jan 02, 2010

When I opened a can of Campbell's Soup I encountered a bug. Considering I rarely eat Campbell's soup I thought what are the chances? Apparently it is not that uncommon. Perhaps Campbell's could put a warning on the label "may contain traces of insect". That way others can be forewarned to keep an eye out for creepy critters before they eat.

jalingra Jan 02, 2010

Here is the pic that corresponds with the above comment

• Re
    Redgoldenlocks Apr 27, 2010

I just "enjoyed" a can of vegetarian vegetable from Campbell's.
    It was not completely vegetarian.
    It had a dead bug in it.
    I am totally disgusted and would like to do something
    this is truly horrible that Campbell's does not take responsibility for their products
    I am off of Campbell's forever.

• Ge
    get over it please Sep 13, 2010

it's just protein, the only thing ill be wacthing out fo is metal

• Mi
    Michael in TN Nov 24, 2010

It makes me angry when other people make light of the insect problem.I found what looked to be either a stink bug or a katydid head in my Italian style wedding soup and it rolled around in my mouth before I found it.I threw up violently for a half an hour until I was dry heaving. I coughed so much my throat was bleeding.I have never been more disgusted until I found out that this was (for some stupid reason) a common thing. If it's this common, put it on the damn label that you might bite into a bug head or a worm. Whats worsre is the people browsing a site about complaints like this just to say"get over it"...NO!!! I won't ! I'm not looking for money but coupons is an unacceptable response.Why would I want coupons for some nasty wormy bugged out soup?!?!! I don't eat bugs or worms and I don't give two squirts of pee if they're PROTIEN...that's just stupid. Campbell's should have to fix this problem, label the cans, or compensate the victims. You can bet that if they were really held accountable for this, they would have fixed it by now!

• Re
    Redgoldenlocks Nov 24, 2010

Exactly my point ! I do not want coupons either. This so disgusted me that I felt a lot like you described.
    Totally unacceptable response or should I say "lack of" from Campbells. I say hit them in their pocket books. How else do we make a point these days?

Debra M. Guest Dec 03, 2010

On December 1st my room mate had gone to food lion and got the soup i had asked him for so i could fix dinner that night.( i saw how to make it on t.v ) i made the rice and when i went to add the soup and saw something i thought was an peice of meat. boy i was wrong ot turned out to be a peice of cardboard. Now i love your soups but this is just about enough to make me stop eating them. please do something about this. thank you.

sincerly,
    Debra M. Guest.

Tania VanNorman Dec 29, 2010

January 26th aprrox 2pm, I made vegetable soup. I was eating it with my mom, thank god not my children. I started choking, and eventually coughed up this thing that looked like a chicken bone with several prongs. I called the company right away, so they could pull the products, before it happened to a child. They did not do this, I called the stores, they kept the product on the shelf. The next day I ended up in the emerge with severe throat infection. I sent the company the item to be tested for quality assurance procedures, again not wanting this too happen to another person/child. I asked them to donate money to several of my favorite charities and they declined. They offered me $150.00. and they previously sent me $13.00 in coupons, like I would ever eat their products again or have them in my home. I am holding a peaceful demonstration on January 7th, 2011 infront of their company in Camden, New Jersey. I am asking people to boycott Campbell Soup Products. It is a corporate world, however, they need to know it is because of consumers, and we expect safe and healthy products. What if next time it is your child who chokes, and may not be so lucky as I was. God bless and thank you for this opportunity to share my story.

• Cf
    cf819 Jun 02, 2011

I just found a dead spider in my bowl of Campbells Beef Barley. I hope I don't throw up :(

Tagcycle Nov 05, 2011

I opened a can of Campbells chunky sirloin burger last night and to my surprise it had maggots. The bad things is, the little fellows were still alive. This only means one thing. Campbells has a huge problems in their processing plant. FDA allows a certain amount of "items" in food. But processing kills any bacteria or bugs, making the food safe. The simple fact the maggot was alive, Campbells is not processing at the correct temperature. This could make people very ill. I'll never buy their product again.

• Su
    suepie29 Nov 30, 2011

Stopped by Kroger and bought 3 large cans of Kroger chicken noodle soup all three cans has black bugs.I cut my finger as I was trying to find lot number on can.Not a good night.

• Dr
    drube Dec 19, 2011

campell soup is not what it used to be it's junk now it's to bad because it used to be the best.

• Km
    kmacleod May 27, 2012

So i came in after a busy day and was looking for something fast that i could make and decided i would heat up some chunky soup (Yumm!)

I heated up my can on steak and potatoes chunky soup and had a couple bites but when i went for another spoon-full i noticed a dark looking figure in it. After closer look i found it was a FULL INTACT LADYBUG, *GAG* *PUKE*

I Immediately sent a email off to chunky and have still not received contact back. My stomach is hurling at the thought of it. After doing some online research i see that i am not the only one that this has happened to. DONT BUY CHUNKY SOUP, THERES TONS OF PEOPLE FINDING THINGS IN THESE CANS, GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSS!. Ill Attach a photo!

• La
    Lauren Sullivan Jun 02, 2012

I found TWO insects in my Campbells Cream of Chicken soup... one was what looked to be a gnat and one looked is if it was a mosquito! I will NEVER be consuming anymore of canned soup. This was just so disturbing.

• Be
    Bernie Sader Jun 26, 2012

I was not in hurry to open this can of soup, so for lunch today opened ready to enjoy Campbell 's Cream of Mushroom code #6321110412 It was disappointing Very bland it resembled a flour & water mix, no taste and only a few traces of mushrooms my husband & I both put the soup down the drain. After reading some other stories I will listen to Dr Ozz and make all my soup from scratch. On his program he showed how much unwanted protein we are getting in a lot of our food . Bernie

• Je
    JeanGavin Aug 29, 2012

I just found a rock 2mm in size in my Fiesta Vegetable & Black Bean soup. I am never eating canned anything again after reading THIS post, especially. I am beyond grossed out. I did complain to the company but I doubt I will see anything from it.

not eating soup Oct 15, 2012

I just opened a can of Cambells clam chowder..microwaved it in the container, removed and put lid on, sat down to eat, and it was infested with stinkbugs... after reading this forum I will never purchase any of their products again... If they offer to refund my money that will be a waste of our time... it doesn't fix the problem of a dirty processing plant... My facebook friends also stated that they will not purchase these products ...

• Gr
    Gross123 Dec 30, 2012

Sickest thing EVER!
    I have loved mushroom soup my whole life...untill toaday. My dinner this evening came with a mystery ingredient.
    It was about 1cm, black, crunchy with hair!
    I'm not kidding, the hairs were about 3cm long. Yes I puked when I pulled it out of my mouth.
    Dear god tell me it wasn't a piece of rat. It seriously looked like a large nasty mole.
    I will now join the group of horrified consumers who have eaten tainted products and will share my story.
    Now comes the important question.
    What will Campbells do for me?

T. A. Jackson Jan 03, 2013

mom just started to eat a can of homestyle chicken noodle, which is her favorite. she called me at work in a major panic and said that a bug was in the soup and that she felt very sick. i advised to drink some ginger ale to calm the sick feeling and as soon as i got home i could see that it was indeed a bug with legs and whiskers. i am tempted to call the #800 but not to be offered coupons or a $2 refund. if she does become sick and has to have medical treatment then campbells will be owned by a lil black lady from alabama cause i will have there ###. and they can cook that up in a can and serve it.

• To
    top69cat69 Jan 11, 2013

i bit into what appears to be a human finger bone (from the pictures i saw )in a can of their healthy request sirloin chunky soup with garden vegetables and they offered me coupons also like i would ever eat that crap again and i broke a tooth off at the gum line and ended up with an infection

• Aa
    Aarien Feb 20, 2013

Chicken noodle soup is usually the best thing for when you're sick. Except for when you find a dead spider floating around in it. What little appetite I had was immediately gone. I've had Campbell's soup ever since I was a kid, so this experience makes me question what I might have ingested in the past when I wasn't really paying attention... a train of thought that turns my stomach. I'm glad I found this forum so I didn't waste my time by calling the #800 so the company could insult me with offers of coupons -- as if I'm ever going to buy a product of theirs ever again.

This trend is alarming and appears to have been going on for quite some time. It's horrible to see that apparently nothing has been done even after all this time.

• Ha
    harold hornke Mar 07, 2013

Was a really bad potato slice. I has a picture of it don't know if I can attach it not. Just hope we don't get sick from it . Grilled sirloin steak with hearty vegetables bar code 52000 138095 bottom of can Nov 17 2014 est4d. Gk. Jt 11172. 2035

• Fo
    foxygrandma Mar 07, 2013

If you honestly got it out of a can of soup, email the company and somebody will call you and make arrangements to send you a special envelope to send the item to them and more than likely they will send you a coupon or two, if they decide it is their fault.

• Oh
    ohyucky Mar 31, 2013

A http://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/our_brands.asp - all brands owned by Campbell's. But don't just be angry with them. This will gross you out: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/grossest-bugs-you-dont-know-youre-eating

The FDA allows us to consume anything from helminths and protozoa to lead and arsenic. I boil carrots and squash for the broth. I soak all of the peeled, scrubbed nonorganic vegetables (organic veggies=mad bugs, dude) for 15 min I use only boneless, skinless chicken breasts that have been frozen at -4°f for at least 10 days. That kills most nematodes. My soup is boiled for at least 2 min after it has already been prepared. Pasteurization also kills parasites.Campbell'ss soup doesn't pasteurize their soups. Yucky.

maricela78 May 13, 2013

On may 10, 2013 my son was about to enjoy his chicken noodles.