California DMVPaperwork required from my optometrist for a driving test

A Sep 08, 2020

I went to DMV on March 4, 2020 to renew my license which was going to expire on April 9, 2020. I only went inside because I have moved and lost a lot of weight so I thought I should have a new license. When I took my vision test, I told them that I am legally blind in my left eye due to shingles almost 15 years ago. They gave me an extension and a paper to take to my optometrist to sign that showed my vision in my right eye was okay. When I took the paperwork back to the DMV, they closed due to COVID so they gave me an extension until June 2020. Well, the doctor put on it that I had the beginning of a cataract (which I've had for several years, but it has not been bad enough to require surgery). The DMV told me I would have to take a driver's test but they weren't doing them because of COVID so they have me another extension that was good thru Sept 9, 2020. I went in on August 26th or 27th and was able to set up a driver's test for Sept 8th but they also gave me another extension good through Oct 27, 2020. I went in this morning for the driver's test, provided my car registration, insurance, and driver's license. They gave me a piece of paper to put on my dash board and wait in the area for someone to come give me my driving test. When it was time for the person to get into my car, she said my paperwork from my optometrist had expired because it was over 6 months. (it expired Sept 4th) and I would have to go back and get a new one from my optometrist. The appointment was made BEFORE the paperwork expired and nobody inside had said a word about it when I went I made the appointment OR when I checked in this morning. They brought me another extension, good through Nov 7th, 2020 and gave me a blank form to take to my optometrist again. I went directly to my optometrist and he completed a new form immediately so I took it right back to the DMV and made ANOTHER appointment for Sept 23, 2020. We'll see what happens this time.