California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Logo

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]

Having problems with California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]?

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on May 24, 2008. The latest review dmv manteca manager inappropriate and ineffective handling of stolen vehicle reported to her was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint drivers license never received was resolved on Nov 19, 2019. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 134 reviews. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has resolved 11 complaints.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 368 4327 (Hearing Impaired: TTY)
2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271
SatClosed
SunClosed
DMV Public Offices

General Vehicle Registration Address, for USPS
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942869, Sacramento, CA 94269-0001

General Vehicle Registration Address, for FedEx, UPS, etc.
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, 2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271, Sacramento, CA 95818-2606

General Driver License Address
Driver License Inquires, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942890, Sacramento, CA 94290-0001

International Customers
Department of Motor Vehicles, Customer Communications, MS H165, PO Box 932345, Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Complaints & Reviews

Jun 06, 2020

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — Car registration

During the pandemic crisis California DMV office neglected to send me my invoice for one of my vehicle...

Apr 07, 2020

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — Non receipt of registration stickers, junking of my vehicle and erasure of file records by dmv

After returning from a long trip overseas I noticed that my registration for new stickers for my Toyota Echo...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]DMV testing

I dont understand why the DMV test is given in so many languages in the US!
The way I see it English is the first language being used here. If you haven't learned enough english to get around in the US then go back home because you may have a hard time living here otherwise. Does this mean we should have to have everything in all the different languages such as street signs, store signs or names or drivers license, registration, text books, etc?
I'm not trying to sound racist it's just that if the street signs are not in all the different languages then I guess it doesn't matter! Not that I want them to be but the tests are in all different languages!

• Updated by Sandy Pre · Apr 07, 2020

Well I'm quite upset with the person who was able to do this and the DMV letting it happen. This person (no name) was able to put my name on a vehicle registration without my knowledge or my signature. So the reason this is a problem is because I have never owned that vehicle, never had any interest in that vehicle and never had anything to do with that vehicle. It seems the vehicle got towed for what ever reason and the person who forged my signature on the DMV registration did not get the vehicle out of impoundment. They charge $300 a day if it's not picked up. So I received a letter from a collection agency saying I owe $4000 because this is what the impoundment place is trying to collect do to the vehicle not being pick up. Because this person who forged my signature onto the registration making it look like that vehicle belongs to me which it doesn't and never has never picked it up. It was pretty damn easy for this person to do this and I didn't know until I get this letter from the collection agency saying I owe $4000.00. Yes, I'm going to press charges on the person who forged my signature to teach them a lesson. Plus I will let the DMV know they screwed up by allowing someone to easily do this illegal act. If I don't, more people will learn from her how easy it was for her to do this but I'm not going to let her get away with it!!! I believe this is in the same category as stealing my identity right? Now I have to go through hell to get this straightened out and I'm not the one who did anything wrong. The person who forged my signature and the DMV did!!!

Mar 06, 2020

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — DMV licensing

Went to Santa Paula DMV to renew my license. Had to take the car and motorcycle, I failed the motorcycle test...

Feb 26, 2020

Calif DMV — Efficiency

It is well known that the backlog at the local DMV office is out of control. Two processes that create a...

Jan 28, 2020

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — This is meant to help others to avoid situations like this.

Adriana Fuentes was asked by one of her employees (who was helping me) if a W-2 can be used to verify a SSN...

Jan 17, 2020

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — customer harassing me and manager and security not being tentative

I'm writing to mention that security and the management at the westminster, ca dmv needs to up their...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]my license fee for 2017 electric car

To whom it may concern;

I looked over my vehicle registration for my 2017 VW e-Golf and there is a $145 license fee and a $143 registration fee.
    This is an outrage! This is 12% of my disability income . How am I supposed to eat? I will be forced to skip paying other bills or medical treatment in order to pay your criminal penalization of used electric car fees in California.

This was a used car.
    If I were polluting the planet with a combustion engine vehicle you would happily cut the fee in half and poison the population.
    End the clean car penalty now!

Jan 10, 2020

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — handicap placard "intentional" delay - complaint against dmv sacramento

This complaint is against DMV Special Processing Unit MSD238 in Sacramento. On or before November 21, 2019...

Jan 02, 2020

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — permit appointment

I am online trying to get my son an appointment for his permit - he is eligible after Jan 20 so I thought I...

Dec 17, 2019

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — inaccurate real id processing

Nov. 4 at 3:40 I had an appointment to file for a real id. Everything was in order, all the paperwork, etc. I...

Dec 16, 2019

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — real id service

My husband had his paperwork to apply for a new real id. We are traveling on dec. 21st from az. to ca. the...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]drivers license never received

My name is Mauricio Klamt. Im a green card holder, took my drivers test in 9/20/19. However, I never received my drivers license. I went to DMV on 10/31/19 to complaint and I was told it was returned to the DMV. I filled out more paper work to request another Drivers License. But did NOT happen, so far after one month I still haven't received anything.
      Please help. I called and called phone numbers in Sacramento, and they don't answer the phone, or give me vague answer (such as, wait...).

Sincerely
      Mauricio Klamt
      [protected]

RESOLVED

Resolution

Anonymous567079 Nov 27, 2019

Could not agree more! They are slow and my California license lost in the mail? Seriously?? Come on, California get it together.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]vehicle registration

My Registration is due today, I realize I waited till the last day, but planned on using the Kiosk Now, which I've been using the last few years, I went to two different ones that came up as "Not eligible to renew here" I tried online, and received "must be mailed in".
        I can only assume this is because the DMV is postponing this process to collect a late fee, I will now need to wait till Monday for a Over-packed, lines to outside, inefficient office to open, utterly ridiculous.

Nov 15, 2019

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — refusal to honor paid duplicate title request

I have submitted multiple forms and documentation to the CA DMV in Sacramento from April 2019 to November...

Nov 05, 2019

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — dmv internal mistake - reimbursement

(Mr) Maywand Kakar [protected] cell 5909 Midas Dr El Paso, Tx 79924 [protected]@gmail.com To Whomever...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]poor return call message, never called me back

We moved out of state to a much better state where people listen and help if you need it. All I wanted to do is change our address and it won't let you do it online as they say and the person I talk to couldn't even get into their own website. So I called the circus in sacramento the registration dept. Now these people should be laid off to save money for your state. The recording said there was a 108 minute wait time so leave your number and they will return the call. That was at 1:00 in the afternoon and I called again at 2:30 and left my contact number once again. Bottom line they dont return calls.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]I have been denied 2x's my real id.

June 27 2019, I used a day off from work to apply for real id.

i had all of my paperwork completed, online application was complete. I was denied a real id because I could not prove my marriage, forgot to bring my marriage certificate. Was told to return with marriage certificate. I returned home, dug my certificate out from storage and made a new appointment (first available October 4, 2019).
            I arrived on that day with social security cards showing both maiden and married name, I had mortgage payment statements (home I have lived in and paid taxes to State of California from, for 26 years). I broughtwith me the marriage certificate that I used in 1983 to change my name on my drivers licence when I was married. I used this same certificate when I obtained a passport in 2009 and when I changed my name on the Clinical Lab Scientist license I have used since 1982 (paying fees to California in order to use it!).

I was rudely informed by the first person I encountered "that my marriage certificate is "Just a souvenir" and I do not deserve a real id because it is not a right but a privilege that I was not qualified for. She also made fun of the fact that I was married in the Episcopal Church. I had the distinct impression that this person, who spoke to me quite rudely was seeing that I am an older, christian white woman and she obviously did not like me. Perhaps she was expressing some form of prejudice.

I now will be required to pay for a copy from vital records and was told it will be 6-8 weeks (the license was issued in PalmSprings, CA in 1983 and should be on file with DMV as you accepted this license when you changed the name on my drivers license: N2626045 in 1983.)
            Because I cannot get a appointment until I know I have the new marriage certificate, I will most likely be unable to fly to Alaska in late February for family adventure.

After this occurance, several friends have told me of similar issues at the San Clemente office. Coworkers who were married in other countries (one in India, the other in Korea) were able to obtain their real id's without this extra nonsense. They obtained them in Costa Mesa and Orange).

Please look into retraining your San Clemente employees. This has been a frustrating and time consuming exercise in futility. I lost 2 days of pay to this. Please let me know why my marriage certificate from 1983 has been acceptable by other State of California agencies as well as the Federal Government to prove that I am entitled to have the same last name as the man I married 36 years ago and am still married to but not by the California DMV.

Sincerely,
            Carolyn Allen, CLS (A.S.C.P.) SM
            e-mail: [protected]@yahoo.com

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]bad service by denise in window 16

I went to transfer a car into my name I had completed the pink slip and signed I accidently made an error on the back. The lady denise in window 16 said ill need a bill of sale. So I told her the gentleman told me this is all I need she looked at me with a smurk and said no. I asked my brother to call the guy and ofcourse he didn't get it the lady said ill give it to you. So then I asked why do I need a bill of sale and she said because you made a mistake or do you rather pay the tax on the 500 that you wrote? I said I don't understand and she wouldn't look at me as she was completing the form I said can you help me an answer my questions I waited over 1 hr and she said I dont have to answer more than what you ask. I asked tovsee a manager and she said go to window 4 with your pathetic story with a smerck on her face I told her that was rude and I would never treat someone like that she proceeded to say I don't care go to window 4. She continued to smile and attack me with a low voice and a smerk. Obviously I spoke to the manager which seemed to not care. I told her the employee would need to apologize not here she only cared to explain the documents and not how I was treated. Why do these people continue to get away with treating customers like this? I would like a response to this complaint.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]poor customer service, 9/27/2019, 3:01 pm - resource: 596-dt01-40 - service: dt

DMV employee demonstrated unprofessional behavior by huffing and rolling his eyes while flippantly answering a question. From my observations, the employee seemed highly irritated that he had to do anything for a DMV customer. Thankfully, not all employees at this office behave in this manner. My hope would be that all DMV employees are offered training on how to provide at least good customer service. This employee failed in this aspect with at least one customer on this day.