California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Logo

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]

Having problems with California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]?

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on May 24, 2008. The latest review dmv manteca manager inappropriate and ineffective handling of stolen vehicle reported to her was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint drivers license never received was resolved on Nov 19, 2019. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 134 reviews. California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] has resolved 11 complaints.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 368 4327 (Hearing Impaired: TTY)
2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271
SatClosed
SunClosed
DMV Public Offices

General Vehicle Registration Address, for USPS
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942869, Sacramento, CA 94269-0001

General Vehicle Registration Address, for FedEx, UPS, etc.
Vehicle Registration Operations, Department of Motor Vehicles, 2415 1st Ave., Mail Station C271, Sacramento, CA 95818-2606

General Driver License Address
Driver License Inquires, Department of Motor Vehicles, PO Box 942890, Sacramento, CA 94290-0001

International Customers
Department of Motor Vehicles, Customer Communications, MS H165, PO Box 932345, Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] Complaints & Reviews

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]employee harassment to their co-worker

On 9/18/19, I went to the local dmv office in quincy, ca. I walked in at approximately 1:50pm. I was rudely spoken to by dmv employee nikki. Last name is unknown. I greeted dmv employee monica cortez and before she could answer, dmv employee nikki put her hand up to her co-worker monica cortez to silence her. Nikki rudely asked me if I had an easy or difficult transaction. I stated an easy transaction. Then in a very condescending tone nikki stated to dmv co-worker monica cortez "ok then, I guess you can handle that". I am in hr supervisor and our business has 165 vehicles in our fleet. I need to go to our local dmv office many times a month and sadly nikki is the rudest and most unprofessional employee that have dealt with in a long time each and every time I need to go into that office. I suggest you watch your cameras in that office to see what nikki is really like. If this unprofessionalism by nikki does not improve, I will have no choice but as a third party, I will be forced to file a legal action against dmv and nikki for harassment. I do not have to be the directly affected individual to file a claim as it does disturb and affect my quality of doing business and the company I work for any time I need to do dmv business. I know for a fact that keys have been thrown at dmv employee monica cortez by her co-worker nikki. All of my co-workers witness the unprofessional attitude, verbiage and lack of confidentiality that nikki dishes out. Seriously, look at your cameras for the real truth because nikki is sneaky and lies! Further complaints against nikki will be filed.

California DMVreal id

My wife got her drivers license renewed as a real ID in February this year (2019). Her original drivers license didn't expire until 2021 but she wanted to get ahead of the crowds by getting it done early. Her new Real ID drivers license was issued with the same 2021 expiration date as the original yet she paid the full price for the renewal. It seems to me that she should have gotten an expiration date 5 years from the date she renewed the license or she should have had to pay a prorated fee to keep the original date. Why should people pay full price to update their their DL to real ID standards when they still have over 2 years existing before the old one expire?

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]case follow up issues

I am writing to hopefully get attention from the DMV Investigation Unit.

My issue is that every time I leave messages for the investigator handling my case, he never calls me back. I have to call many times to get updated on the case and the response is always oh, I forgot to follow up on this or that...

I know they have other things that they do but it is unfortunate that there is no process of escalation. I cannot talk to anyone else to update me with the case.

I tried calling this week and no one is answering the phone at 8 or 10 am - I know for a fact they are open today so not sure no one is answering.

The case is about my title that was swiped under me by a Toyota dealership. Quite honestly I don't know why was that possible when I have the car and I did not sell it to anyone. My car was not even inspected so they can at least have that data while they are waiting for the dealer to respond to them.

This issue should have not been a hardship for us car owners. We need to be protected and I feel that there is no one that can assist me to escalate this matter.

My case # 19 V1L3989- I submitted this to their office back on May 20. I understand that it does take time- in this issue, it shouldn't be this long. If the dealership does not provide the correct VIN and produce the car, then they can release our car and we are able to register it. If it was an incorrect entry- that would be simpler. There should be something that could be done with VIN Swiping, there should be a mechanism that could detect 2 different owners for the same title -

Your help is greatly appreciated. I need answers!

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]fullerton ca driving instructor vu

Hi, my name is Danny Le and I am writing this complaint for my daughter Madelyn Le whom just took her driving test on Tuesday 8/6/19 at approximately 2pm. at the DMV in Fullerton California. The driving instructor, Mr. Vu, failed my daughter for using the back up camera in the car to back up next to a curb. I have never heard of such a thing to fail someone to use a back up camera which is now required on all new vehicles and is the best option to use while backing up. It gives the driver a clear view of what is behind and both side of the vehicle prior to the driver backing up. Even the driving instructor that teaches my daughter how to drive uses the back up camera to show her how to back up. I myself use the back up camera on a daily basis to back up out of a parking space between 2 vehicles so you can see oncoming traffic. I would consider understanding deducting some points but for failing my daughter because she uses the back up camera in which she was taught to do so is a little extreme. I would like you to reconsider Mr. Vu decision and give my daughter a passing grade so she can get her driver license. Please let me know what else I need to do to get this matter recertify .

I can be reach via cell at [protected] or email at [protected]@gmail. com. Your prompt attention is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Danny Le
        Father of Madelyn Le

fullerton ca driving instructor vu

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]renewal dl/ real id

I had the following documents to prove my identity:
          Current DL
          SS Card
          Birth Certificate
          IRS Documentation
          Bank Statement
          Residential Lease Agreement
          Utilitiy Bills

My first encounter my documents were told was sufficient/okay. At the second encounter window #30/F81 on Monday, August 5, 2019 at 3:20 pm.

My question is I have been using my married name since 1989 I brought in the marriage certificate to show my name change to Tucker which has been my on all my previous DL to date. Which obvious your records show you issuing all my DL from past years to date. I am not making any name changes so why wasn't my documents sufficient for my REAL ID?

Also I was told I needed to take a written test because I an renewing early. If I waited close to expiration I would not have to take a test. If I was being punished for being proactive

I can be reached at [protected] or [protected]@att.net

Very Confused and Dissastified

Thelma Tucker

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]did not receive driver license renewal.

I completed the process to get Real ID December 2018. I received the document on time Real ID DL Number# B4490749, and March of 2019 I received a letter from the DMV instructing to sign the document and mail back in the self stamped envelope. According to the letter, DMV requires two forms of address verification. Signed the document and mailed it in right away.
            Last week, Wednesday, July 24 2019. I was asked by a merchant to provide my Driver License information, that's when I realized that my license is expiring August 4, 2019. I contacted the DMV via telephone and I was instructed to visit the field office. the next day, July 25th at 4:30pm, I visited the office located on La Mancha Way. I was helped in Window 22, after checking my record on her computer, she told me that I am not qualified for mail or internet renewal because of missing information, which she said is another form of address verification. I informed her that I already sent a letter back to DMV in March to verify my address. According to her, it was not updated, that was four moths ago! Fortunately, I was able to provide another form of documentation to update my record. The employee then stated that I need to take the written exam and have my picture taken before I can renew my license. I informed the employee my that picture was taken back in December when I applied for Real ID. She said I have to do it again, which I did so.
            My complaint is, how come DMV never send me any notice instructing what I needed to do before my DL expires, which seven working days from the date I contacted DMV. DMV Handbook states (page 18), "DMV sends renewal notice to your address of record approximately 90-120 days before your DL expires". I never received any correspondence at all. DMV cannot tell me that they do not have my address because I received my Real ID mailed to me to the address indicated on my Real ID.
            This is causing me so much stress. I took the test, July 26, Friday after I was told that I needed to pass the exam before I can renew my license, and relying from a sample exams from DMV website, the sample exams does not really help because the questions was nowhere close to the actual questions. I failed twice!
            I never had any driving violations since I acquired my Driver's License back in 1994. I have a clean driving record! Just the fact that if I had not noticed my DL is expiring, I would have been driving with an expired license. With that, I am requesting an extension of my Driver's License expiration to give me more time to read the DMV handbook to be able to pass the exam.
            I travel quite often, and I figured getting a Real ID will help me to go to military bases without presenting several ID's for verification (which really works) when I visit my children who are in active in the military (AirForce and Army).
            Please consider my request.
            Sincerely,
            Virginia Esmilla Wieneke
            [protected]

Note: It is not permitting me to upload my Real ID

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]information desk employee

On July 22 at approximately 3:30 p.m., I went into the Ventura DMV office on Market Street. I proceeded to the "non-appointment" line to ask the following - "Do I need to take the written test to renew my license which is due on 8/10/19?" She ask if I had registered on-line to renew. I said "no". She then directed me to register and get a confirmation number and come back to the "appointment line". Once back she then gave me a number to speak to a DMV clerk at one of the window's. I had number G73 and they were only up to G43 ( I am guessing on the actual number but it was like 30 people ahead of me).

I realized that I could not wait because I was to pick up someone from the hospital within 30 minutes. It was only my intent to find out if I had to take a test. I went back to the appointment line and I explained to her my concern. "Could you possibly just tell me, do I need to test?". She asked for my license which is N2312621 and checked in the system. "No, you do not need to test". Just come back to this window and I will give you a number to be seen by a clerk.

I went back today 7/26/19 at 7:10 a.m. to beat the crowd (it opens at 8:00 a.m.) . Once more she was attending the front door at 7:45 a.m. processing us prior to going in. "Oh you are back to renew" she said. "Yes, I am". "Here go to window 10 and renew". At window 10, I was told I must test. I told her the woman at the front desk told me I did not. She said "it's only 18 questions, simple".

Needless to say I did not pass. Of course not, for I had not taken the test for 48 years!

My complaint is "How could two different results come from one license number?" Did the first employee read it wrong, or the second?

If you need names, I will go back and get them; but, I would like an answer to my complain. I would not want someone else be upset by having to take the test when told they did not have to. I fault myself for taking it, but after all..she said it was simple...

Betty Ann Angulo

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]commercial drivers written test

Date:7/19/2019
                Driver's License #: D8669877
                Email: robert.g.king.[protected]@gmail.com
                I arrived at the at the South Sacramento DMV (7775 La Mancha Way/Office ID:602) to take my Commercial Drivers Written Test and had the worst testing experience ever. I have taken the test and passed multiple times but this time it was quite different. A desk is now stationed center of the testing room and 2 Members of staff assist customers to computers and resolve issues and answer questions customers have inside the testing room which I dont have a problem with but the high volume is something I cannot withstand. I requested something to be done and in return I had been given ear buds that did nearly nothing. I paid $78.00 to take my tests and with but a few questions left on my general knowledge portion I had been destracted my entire test to the point where I was very frustated so much that I felt defeated with the interrupting volume of not only the DMV patrons but other customers to the point that I could not focus on passing my third try.

I do not feel that this service I had paid very hard earned money for would value $83.00 and I feel that it would be an extremely large disservice to pay $156. I waited two months for this testing date and do not choose to wait another 2 months.

I am requesting a refund, a sooner testing date because the online system says the nearest date is September 20th (2 months from today) and the ability to where non-electronic construction sound cancelling headphones and of course to be able to state to someone the volume in the testing room is too loud and for them to take immediate action. I feel most importantly something has be done about communicatiuon in general inside the testing room because I should not be able to hear anyone while plugging my ears with my hands

commercial drivers written test

• Updated by Robert King · Jul 19, 2019

Date:7/19/2019
                    Driver's License #: D8669877
                    Email: [email protected]

I do not feel that this service I had paid very hard earned money for would value $78.00 and I feel that it would be an extremely large disservice to pay $156. I waited two months for this testing date and do not choose to wait another 2 months.

Comments

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]registration/change of address

B303- My number today at Carmichael DMV on North st. I was helped at station 21, a female, African American with glasses, heavy set,
                  I never got my registration renewal in the mail, I paid it online then went into the office thinking if I didn't-- I might never get my sticker. I handed her my receipt of payment online, she said she couldn't help me and my sticker would come in the mail--
                  Well if I didn't get the renewal how will I get my sticker?
                  Then she says the address out loud that is on her computer screen--
                  its the wrong address---I asked can I change that, I have the form here
                  she says no you have to do it online----with that I walked out...I should have asked for a supervisor...Your telling me I cant change my address at a dmv location?

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]unethical behavior, incompetence, racial bias.

My Ca. Drivers License expired. I called to make an appt. I was given an appt. at the Pasadena D.M.V. I live in Crestline, Ca. Yet chose to go to this office as my oldest son needed a new license and I was at his home caring for him as he was ill. He chose to get a federally non compliant Drivers License his had been lost. He had no quams. I needed to get a federally compliant Real Id. After I took my Test and passed that day. July 19 2018
                    I was directed to make a payment to receive my new License. I was then told that I did not meet the requirements for documentation at that time, Federally approved Real Id. I was given a complete list of what exactly was accepted as proof of identity and residency, then I was given a temporary Drivers license. Which would expire six weeks past the time of issue. At which time I should be able to acquire all necessary documents to then attain a Real Federally compliant Drivers License. This took some time. However, I returned on the exact day in which it would expire. With all of the documents required of me. I was told that they were not acceptable and did not prove anything. These required documents were on the list that they themselves had given me. Such as a copy of my Federal Income tax return, already filed. I also was told that I needed to take another written exam, which I did and passed again. I also was told I need to pay for my Drivers License renewal again. That I had only paid for my temporary. So again, I paid. I was talked down to yelled at, then refused any further solution as to my recieving my Drivers Licence. I was told by the supervisor to gather my documents and leave the office. Then she instructed for security to call local law enforcement as I had not gotten my documents picked up off of the counter quickly enough. I left as my son whom was with me had finished with his appt. Was waiting in the car for me as he was not well. less than 2 months later, My son passed. I found it very difficult to return to the pasadena office where I had been treated so badly. I did however, need my issue resolved. Still due, I have sent a letter to the director of the dmv sacramento registered mail. asking for help. No response.
                    I am a taxpaying American citizen who is fed up with the lack of ability to follow simple instructions on your part, When I went to a different dmv office I was treated a little better. That is to say when I inquired as to why I still have not received my Federally compliant real ca id in the mail as of yet. The clerk responded that I still had to take my written test. Before I would receive it in the mail. That I should hurry and do so. Before I lose the monies I have already paid for it. O.M.G. The D.M.V. Does not issue even a temporary if you do not pass the written HELLO!!! Where is it already? Perhaps I will have to let my attorney take the reigns as he has asked.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]my wife had appointment at 12 o’clock

My wife had appointment at 12 o'clock To go do her driving test she had an appointment set up a month prior for the T To go do her driving test she had an appointment set up a month prior for Oroville Ca And now it's seeming like they're just ignoring her and not giving her her appointment time they're making her stay in line with everybody else and get called when her number gets called which is not an appointment it's a post to be And for the record I never hated a DMV until I came to the one here

my wife had appointment at 12 o’clock

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]vehicle renewal registration

I mailed them ck. #1795 for $2oo on May 24, 2019; along with my proof of insurance. I also sent a note notifying them that my insurance renews on June 16th but I was not privy to those forms at this time. My registration fees are due on June 8th so I send proof of insurance thru June 15th.
                        I'm worried because registration of our Jeep I paid online on June 9th and registration slip & tags arrived today. I checked my bank account and check has not been processed. I have a strong feeling last year they took their time cashing it as well. In fact last year I mailed my fees before the due date with proof of insurance & I was sent a letter that my initial proof of insurance was not current & to sent them current proof of insurance.
                        The registration slip I have not received pertains to VOLK 2012 Jetta lic plate 6VER707

• Updated by itm55 · Jun 17, 2019

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] / Vehicle renewal registration

P.O. Box 942897, Sacramento, CA. [protected], United States

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]negative employee

On the 12th of June 2019 at San Luis Obispo DMV office, employee who happened to service window 11 was assigned to help obtain real ID. Overall experience was extremely negative, especially when on both sides I witnesses cheerful and helpful employees. Here are the issues:
                          - employee has never used any of the following "hello/hi/good day/please/may I/you are welcome/thank you/have a good day/good bye" or even a smile within 40 min at the window
                          - when asked to identify herself employee showed dissatisfaction and refused to give
                          such info. I had to ask 3 times for first name (AKA Jackie, it may be fake, who knows but no last name;
                          - employee repeatedly forgot to give me my important documents and the times I had to ask for document it was clearly in front of her (and I allowed time before asked)
                          - work attire was unacceptable: blue jeans, no belt, black flats with pink socks, t-shirt that is not related to the agency where job is performed, greasy, untastefully dyed hair with some of this hair being on the desk, different lengths nails.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]renewal/real id/eye examine/driving test

My license was expiring this year and I figured I would get a Real Id. Made appointment at the Roseville office. I had all the proper paperwork. I was asked to read the eye chart and when I explained I was blind in my left eye since I was 2 years old they said there was nothing in the computer about this and I would need to take a form to my eye Doc. I did this and made another appointment. Went in today (6/14/19) and gave them is the form which the Doc completed (vision 20/40 in one eye, which the form states is screening standard) and now because there is not record in the computer of this issue, I must take a driving test. I explained agin that I have had a valid license since I was 16 (I'm 63 now) and just because they have no record that was not my problem. I do not understand why I must take a driving test.

Resolution-No driving test

Jun 13, 2019

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV] — appointment time

I arrived an hour and a half earlier than my scheduled appointment. As I entered and attended by the clerk I...

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]real id

I have been to the dmv office three times to obtain a real id.
                              First time i was told my birth certificate was not acceptable i wrote to the State of New York for a certified one which i presented the
                              next time along with my social security card(original) and 2 proof of residences utility bills and Cal pers employment pay stub still refused.
                              What do i do noww???

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]license renewal

What is going on with the DMV? I had to stop payment on a check sent to DMV for registration. This was after 35 days the check wasn't cashed. I recently sent a check for 36.00 for license renewal. Over 2 weeks and still not cashed.

When I applied for a disabled placard, it took over 30 days. I called them and spoke to a representative, who said they did not get the application. I asked my doctor to prepare another declaration. The next day I received the placard.

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]entire california dmv protocols and processes

TRIP 1 to DMV:
                                  I'm from Michigan - recently moved to San Diego.
                                  Went to DMV on Derrick.
                                  Waited in line to obtain a number. Once I reached front desk, was told that I had to have my vehicle inspected (not something I had to do in Michigan, so it was a surprise). Had to go back outside and wait in another line in my car until my turn (3 cars ahead of me) to have my vehicle looked over.
                                  Went back inside.
                                  Obtained my number.
                                  Waited in another line until my number was called.
                                  Was then asked if I had a "Smog" check done on my vehicle. I had never heard of such a thing and didn't know where to go since I had only been in San Diego a few days. I was sent across the street to PepBoys. Had to wait THREE HOURS.

TRIP 2 to DMV:
                                  Returned to DMV after PepBoys smog check.
                                  DMV now closed.

TRIP 3 to DMV:
                                  Waited in line to obtain number.
                                  Waited in another line until my number was called.
                                  Provided smog check proof, car inspection proof, proof on liability auto insurance, my Michigan Driver's license, Social Security card, evidence of my residency via signed apartment lease and a bill addressed to me at that address.
                                  Was told that I had to basically pay for my vehicle again because California taxes are higher than Michigan taxes.
                                  I believe this is unconstitutional. I'm not entering from another country, yet I'm being required, in essence, to pay duties on a vehicle that I already purchased more than a year previously.
                                  Paid large sum of $$, obtained registration and plates, but...
                                  was told I could not get my driver's license unless I could prove name changes dating back 40 years ago.
                                  I believe this, too, is UNCONSTITUTIONAL!. This affects mostly women, and mostly women of a certain age since it was the expected social custom to change your name when you married at that time.
                                  ADDITIONAL: I had a valid social security card and valid Michigan driver's license with my name on it. Does California think I didn't have to show proof of identity to obtain those things? They are official documents and this is unconstitutional and just plain wrong on the part of California.

Cannot remember exact dates of teenage marriage and divorce, but had to pay additional $224 dollars to obtain vital records from Michigan as, even in Michigan, I didn't hang on to marriage/divorce (x2 each) papers from so many years ago and best forgotten.

TRIP 4 to DMV:
                                  waited in line to obtain number.
                                  Sent to wait in another line.
                                  Presented the Vital records that the California DMV wrongfully requested.
                                  Told I now had to take a written test; however, they stop allowing people to take the test because it was within a hour of closing.

TRIP 5 to DMV:
                                  Waited in line to obtain number.
                                  Waited in another line.
                                  Took written driver's test.
                                  Passed.
                                  Sent to wait in another line for documents.
                                  Sent to wait in yet another line to have the picture taken.
                                  After waiting, camera stopped working. Waited for a 2nd employee to mess around with it to no avail; therefore...
                                  Sent to wait in yet another line for a different camera.
                                  Made to remove my glasses (Never asked to do that before in Michigan).
                                  Received the most GOD AWFUL driver's license picture to date - seeing it would make you run home crying to mama - if you didn't turn to stone first.

Approx 2 weeks - driver's license arrives.

Approx 3 to 4 weeks later:
                                  Receive threatening letter from DMV saying my vehicle registration will be suspended unless I provide proof of auto liability insurance. This is the same proof of insurance that I turned in at the time I received my registration and plates (see TRIP 3 above). Do you think California DMV would have provided me with registration and plates had I not shown them that proof at the same time.

ADDITIONAL:
                                  This is the time when a colleague pointed out to me, "hey..." "did you know they spelled your name wrong on your driver's license?"

OMG!
                                  The California DMV is the worse ever, UNCONSTITUTIONAL in its practices, disorganized, incompetent.

What? Are they going to charge me yet MORE money because they typed my name incorrectly on my driver's license.
                                  How many more trips do I have to make?

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]dmv office in lakeport ca

mustafa owaidat
                                    13050 island dr clearlake oaks ca 95423
                                    [protected]@gmail.com
                                    my car is a ford expedition 1997
                                    the dmv office handed me the wrong licence plate number the car was towed by the police because of the wrong information they have that the plat numbers do not match my car, i went to the lake port office where they corrected the mistake and waved the fees and give me a new plate numbers, the police waved there fees to release the car but the towing co. wants over a 1000 $ already and 95 $ a day counting my car is worth 1500 to 2000 $ i did NOTHING WRONG, it was a clear human error from the DMV and they are not denying it .
                                    [protected]

dmv office in lakeport ca

California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]vehicle registration

How do you do when you want to do your registration online but the DMV doesn't want you to do it because you put by mistake your sticker on your other car, ask for a reemplacement sticker by need tags.com avoiding 5 hours of waiting time at dmv, but because needs tag.com service is not coordinated with dmv and they don't know that you already paid 21 dollars, you have to send your payment by check for your next registration and it takes 4 weeks to be processed, so you will certainly have late fees. They didn't send the letter bill and I had to call them one month earlier to learn that.
                                      When you want to do good, you can't because of time processing.