Menu
Cabela's
reviews & complaints

Cabela's
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

142 complaints
29 resolved 113 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Cabela's. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
11:24 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Cabela's - broken ultralight rods

We purchased three ultralight fishing rods over the the past two years. Last year one rod broke. Cabela's replaced that one. This year two more rods broke. I called Cabela's two days ago when asked I gave them my phone number I was disconnected. We have five ultralight fishing rods from various other rod manufacturers. Non of these other rods have broken in the past ten years. Cabela's sell defective rods and do not stand behind their product.

12:22 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

After paying my Cabelas Visa on time and multiple times a month for 15 years, including my unemployment, they rewarded me with a 4%+ interest increase. I reccomend you pay off, trasnsfer to another card, and stop buying from Cabelas. Bass Pro Shops, Bank of America card is not nearly as high. I never expected to be raped and robbed by Cabelas. Girl on...

V
8:29 pm EST

Cabela's - canceled credit account

I have been burned again and the last by Cabela's club visa. I was hit with the 0% interest thing my self. I also recieved a letter in the mail from them it read. Due to information obtained from your credit report we have decided to cancel your Cabela's credit card account. I haver contacted them and I got the old switch and drop phonr tag. I finally got to talk to someone long enough to ask a couple of questions. I got the same thing except this time he tells me that my Cabela's club points are no longer available to me. So I got my credit report and my score My credit had gone up the last three months. I have recieved items in the mail you are a good customer etc, etc, . Anyone can say anything they want about Cabelas and their worlds foremost bank They are no good rotten crooks and they will never get any of my business again, Bass Pro Shops are going to get the 7 or 8 thousand dollars a year I spend on outdoor equipment. Cabela's is the worst institution in the country. They are Liars and Cheats STAY AWAY FROM CABELA'S AND THEIR SINDICATE OF CROOKS I hope the bottom falls out of their Boat.
Reply with what you want THEY SUCK and I am out to tell the world just how bad they do..

K
8:32 am EST

Cabela's - decrease credit rate

I received a letter in the mail from Cabela's stating that they were decreasing my credit. When I called they said it was because I was three times late in the past year and there is nothing they can do about it. I am a busy person and paying the late fee was no big deal to me. Yes...I was late but I paid four times the minimum amount due. I am no dead beat and I "ALWAYS" pay way over the minimum amount due. So, by reducing my credit it appears my card is almost maxed out. They are not customer friendly and do not look at a customer's history thoroughly. Every year I buy approx. $400.00+ of merchandise from Cabela's on their card. I have been a customer of Cabela's for over TEN (10) years but apparently this accounts for nothing. I will pay off my balance and get another card. Sadly I like Cabela's but all of my future purchases will be with Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain or Filson. I think we as long standing clients should receive at the very least an apology. I will take owness for the late payments but really come on...

M
8:49 pm EST

Cabela's - billing error

Twice now I called in my payment to Cabelas as to avoid a late fee. Previously I called from my sons in another state as my Grandson had a serious medical problem we rushed to. They still charged me the late fee with stating we were late, along with the $7.50 charge for a phone payment. I was however 4 days early, all other payments were made by that phone and had no problems. I let it go.

I just made a payment around Martin Luther King Day as I realized I forgot to get my payment in the mail the previous Sat. and it would be late so I called, this time on the payment stub wrote date, etc. amount and confirmation number down. Again, they state I was late on payment with the $7.50 payment, however I called 3 days prior to due date. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on you. I will cancel my Cabelas card and thats that.

N
11:18 am EST

Cabela's - bad experience

On December 22, I went to the Richmond Cabelas to buy a new Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 Scope with BBC for $219.99 with tax was $138.99 because I had a coupon and club points. I had to drive over 50 miles to get to the store and made the purchase in good faith. When I returned home to mount the new scope on my rifle, I discovered that the scope in the box was a used and damaged scope, not even of the type that I had purchased. I called Cabela's right away, and they told me that they would take care of it when I got there to exchange the scope. I drove all the way back to the Richmond store and then was told that I could not get an exchange or my money back. That their employees check all merchandise before selling it and the correct scope must have been in the box. I know for certain that the employees did not check the box before putting it in the bag because my son, Gary Wiersma was present at the sale. The customer service representative said that they had the purchase on surveillance tapes. They told me that they could make a copy for me. They let me sit there and then came back and told me that they could not make the copy for me or see the surveillance tapes or let me talk to the employee that made the purchase. They said that the employee was clearly checking the box out and that the packing around the scope that should have been there if it was new was removed by the clerk, which never happened and this happened in the presence of myself and my son. So not only am I out the money of for the scope, I'm out gas money, my time, the time my son took out of his vacation to purchase and I'm stuck with a used, damaged scope.

I have been a loyal Cabela's customer for years, but no longer. My son and my extended family will all know what happened during this shopping experience.

Aug 30, 2011 2:39 pm EDT

We recently purchased a Model 669 meat slicer.
It has fatal flaws.
The screws attaching the food carriage lack a slot to place a tool while removing the nuts. (for cleaning purposes)
And... the screws attaching the food dellector & rear blade guide are sheet metal screws ... (Should be standard threads... they fasten into "White Metal" ... Zinc+Manganese?
I had to use a Dremel* tool to CUT the nuts off.

V
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Via e-mail I received a notice that soon in the mail I would receive a coupon worth up to $100.00, were I to make a purchase of $500.00. The coupon never arrived! I called the local Cabala's in Hamburg, Pa. they knew nothing about it, I called the credit card company from Cabala's, they know nothing about it. Since last week I have been trying to reach...

A
2:48 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had been a long standing customer of theirs for years and have a small balance on our credit card. Recently due to the economy, I had to take a pay cut, our buisness has dropped to litterally zero and my wife has not been able to find work, we had been late on a couple of OTHER credit cards, but not Cabelas. In fact until this year we NEVER had been late...

11:32 am EDT

Cabela's - unreasonable interest rate increase

I have been a loyal Cabela's customer for years and always used their World's Foremost Bank credit card for purchases to earn points. I never was late with a single payment and always paid more than the minimum, in other words, a good customer. Out of the blue they raised my interest rate to 21%! This is just another example of a big heartless bank that will toss away loyal customers at a whim. Do yourself a favor and do not deal with these people!

Oct 19, 2009 3:38 am EDT

I know of a company that can settle this debt down to about half of what you currently owe. Send me an email to [email protected]

9:43 am EDT

Cabela's - products and service

Several things have been noticed lately.
1) Removal of their long time no questions asked returned policy with an extended warranty policy. If you buy this policy and use the service it is good for only one year and may negate the manufacturers lifetime warranty because the items do not go to the manufacturer for service.
2) Quality. Chinese made products especially the Cabelas rifle scopes are of appallingly low quality. Horrible optical distortion-junk. The Cabelas Trekker bow case is thin plastic over cardboard with aliminum edging for over $100! The Doublr Bull Blinds which made their reputation by being hand made in Colorado are mass produced in China. Again junk. Clothing that is not cut right etc.
3) Selection. Items are selected for stocking inb stores based on what their corporate staff likes and by which vendor paid them or schmoozed them the most. No big surprise. Primos brand is widely featured. You'd think he was a family member. The Primos bloodlight has been noted for a couple of years as a piece of junk. Cabelas has thousands they can't move. Items that could sell- especially muzzleloading and tradtional archery- especially the lower cost stuff are left for catalog sales. They apparently like to try to sell the high end crap in the stores to get the daily sales dollar figures up. $100+ bow quivers, $1500 shotguns, $60, 000 boats etc. Reloading supplies and ammunition selection are awful compared to other companies. They must have a deal with Hornady brand because you can get mainly Hornady bullets, Speer you cannot get at all and the other companies are underepresented. Price on the Hornady stuff is actually higher than the non Nebraska produced supplies. (?)
4) Service. Staff is forced to push the Cabelas Club Card (VISA) because the company makes a large part of their revenue off credit card interest! Some stores- Hoffmann Estates in paerticular was using threats of termination if the staff did not get a certain amount of card referrals. The so called expert outfitters are quite often only experts in that they have been trained in how the products work and trained by the company reps. Many do not have actual field experience with the products. They are also told not to show preference for one brand over the other and to not give a real opinion. You can tell when the ones that know what they are doing are tap dancing around an issue to try to sell you a decent item at a decent price and steer you away from something they know is junk. By the same token they are trained to try to sell you the most expensive items possible and to not ask what you can afford. Again you can tell the better staffers by the way they try to figure out what will work best for you without wasting the entire day.

5) Staffing- from inside sources there is general mayhem. Corporate does not communicate with retail stores. Morale is in the tank. While staff used to be paid quite a bit over minumum wage to start that is no longer the case, hours are usually not 40 per week although that is what is claimed. It usually runs 35 to 37 for full time staff. Stores are understaffed and over worked. Store area managers and other salaried staff are worked well over 40 hours per week with little or no compensation. The excuse given is they are FLSA exempt. There is also a rumor that corporate staff over 60 with 10 years in the company were forced to take a buy out and leave. Age discrimination. There are also examples where they WILL NOT hire anyone they think is over qualified because they fear they will get turned in for various violations.

Cabelas is definitely not the World's Greatest Outfitter anymore even though they apparently paid Outdoor Life and Field and Stream to say so a couple of years ago. It's amazing what you can get outdoor writers to say if you pay them enough or give them enough freebies.

4:42 pm EDT

Cabela's - consumer manipulation

Same ole' song and dance as the others here. Loyal customer for years, Never late, Balance paid in full except for a few months. Raised interest rate from 9.99% to 20.99% when I did have a balance. Paid Balance in Full next month to avoid interest charges.BAM...they closed my account. OK for them to do it before the NEW Regulations take effect. Sure! AND I have the right to tell everyoe I know how BAD they are. Just lost 4 customers in my family and friends FOREVER! NO PROBLEM.. THANK you Chase, WF, BoA and Amex. for being myBUSINESS PARTNER! Why deal with small change when "REAL" $ is on your side. YOUR CHOICE while you have it. So...HOW"S THAT " HOPEy-CHANGEy" thing workin' for ya' now Dems!

O
4:08 pm EDT

Cabela's - worst customer service

I am very disappointed in the Post Falls Cabelas. I recently went to visit my favorite department (waterfowl) and was told that the most knowledgeable person (Jon) has been moved to another department. I walked through the store until I found Jon so that I could ask him the questions that I wanted answered. He told me that Travis(who I found very arrogant) had recently been hired as the lead for the waterfowl department. Where did they find this guy? Why did they move Jon? You would think that you would want qualified Outfitters in the proper departments. Is this a common practice at Cabelas? Jon has been the Outfitter that I have looked for since last years opening. He is very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

Everyone one of my hunting buddies have also enjoyed the Customer Service that they receive from Jon. Cabelas is about hunting and the outdoors and when we visit your store and we spend our hard earned money, we want to be served by the Outfitter of our choice. I overheard a guy the other day (while I was dining with my family) talking about a visit he made to Cabelas. He was trying on a pair of boots and heard ducks. He said that he was so impressed that he followed the sound until he arrived at the Waterfowl counter, where he met Jon. I knew that he had to be talking about the same Outfitter that my friends and I know. This guy told the people that he was dining with "that it was the best duck calling he had heard in a long time." From the way that guy told that story, I believe that he has told that story quite a few times. That guy was so impressed that he is providing your store with free advertisement. Why would you transfer an Outfitter who makes such an impression on your Customers? I hope that the next time I visit the Post Falls Cabelas, Jon has been returned to his rightful position.

K
4:19 pm EDT

Cabela's - reduced credit limit and unfair practices

I have had a Cabela's Visa card for almost a year. After making my payments always on time and always making a payment of double the amount due, I received a call from the collections dept. this am, May 13, 2009. I was told that my payment was due on May 7th and I needed to make a payment. I made a payment of 100.00 April 2, 2009 and 2000.00 on April 13th. The 2000.00 was made for May's payment. Because it was made early they applied it to April's payment and told me that I was late for May. I was treated very rudely and was told by the so called team leader of collections that their was no one else I could talk to, nor could she give me a email address. I ended up getting online and saw exactly the same complaints. I did speak to another manager who said that that is their policy. So, never make your payment early and never pay a large payment if you don't want your credit line cut. I would close my account, but don't want to hurt my credit score. Does anyone know who I can complain to?

kathy

12:16 pm EDT

Cabela's - closed account continue to insist we owe money

Like the other complaint about Cabelas on this site. We got the zero interest card for a sizable purchase but in our case our card was used for a purchase we did not make so we closed the account immediately and paid off our amount. But they keep charging us for a renewal fee and a late fee on the purchase that was made by the THIEF who stole our card!
This has been going on for more than six months and we continually get delinquency notices. If this shows up on our credit we are hiring a lawyer. This is harassment and the government should get involved.

B
3:15 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased a Smith & Wesson handgun advertised by Cabela's in Fort Worth, Texas as offering a $50 rebate. The rebate was timely mailed the first of January, 2009 to the address on the form: HOLIDAY HANDGUN PROMOTION, P. O. BOX 412, MPS DEPT #525-05, CINNAMINSON, NJ 08077 phone [protected]. The rebate coupon said allow 8-10 weeks processing. I called...

L
10:12 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Cabela's - credit line lowering/increase interest

just checked my February statement to find that my new rate of interest is 27.99%... which I think is just completely AWESOME!

I guess my prior rate of 12.99% and an avg payment of $1500 a month just wasn't enough to fill the pockets of the spineless brainiacs that decided to make this well timed business decision.

This appears to be a game of debt, not money management... and in it, everyone loses... except those that run the banks and credit. If you have not noticed, banks have the biggest spread EVER. Savings rates are in the toilet and loan rates have gone relatively unchanged. EVERYTHING favors the banks and them getting their act in gear, they'd rather get more out of the deal instead.

It's sad to see that this is wide spread. What bothers me most is that this industry is arrogant enough to gamble on the future losing billions of dollars in the process, it cleans up the books with government (taxpayer) money and then to make the situation even worse, they attack the very people who did not borrow iresponsibly and are not a part of this mess. If I tried this I'd be in prison. I'd really like to have a meeting arranged where I can meet the ones responsible for all of this. I want them to tell me why they are not paying the price for this w/ their jobs, serious tax penalties for undeserved bonuses, liquidation of assets and mandatory community service (since they really don't understand what that's about).

Update by Lisa43
Dec 05, 2011 8:53 pm EST

No not complaining, I am so glad they did that and made me aware of there actions! Closed there card and have one card only. Cabelas lost my families business along time ago .

2 comments
C
Apr 01, 2009 2:25 pm EDT

You interest rate is based on payment history and your credit bureau score, so maybe you should invesigate that information before you go off. Also, if you had a WAMU Cabela's Visa card your interest rate increased because the card changed hands and is no longer a Cabela's Visa card and is now a Chase Rewards card. Proper notification of that change were sent out and the new terms and conditions were send out also . SO instead of complaining maybe you should do a little investigating a make a phone call and find out WHY!

F
Mar 10, 2009 6:49 pm EDT

I JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM! I THINK THEY CAN RAISE THE INTEREST RATE ONLY ON NEW PURCHASES, DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT!

I ALSO RECEIVED A POSTCARD STATING THAT I WILL NOT EARN ANY MORE NON CABELAS PURCHASE POINTS AND MY DADS CARD STATED THAT HE WAS GOING TO EARN MORE POINTS THAN BEFORE?

I LOVE CABELAS, BUT I THINK I MIGHT HAVE TO MOVE TO THE BASS CARD INSTEAD. I WILL WAIT AND SEE HOW BAD IT REALLY GETS.

O
9:27 am EST

Cabela's - worst service ever

I purchased a dog collar from their on-line catalog. The product originally sold for $99 and was listed on sale for $59. It was also clearly advertised as "in-stock". The next day I received a notice from them that my order was cancelled because the item had been discontinued. I was very disappointed. At that point, I went back to the on-line catalog to see what my other options were. To my surprise, the same collar was listed with the same manufacturer's description. The item had a new Cabella's product number and a new price of $109. At that point I got angry because I felt cheated by CABELAS. I sent an e-mail to them stating my dissatisfaction. To date, no response from customer service. Cabelas has a good name in the the industry, I'm sure if upper management knew how un-responsive customer service is, they would remedy.

11/28/08 Update, it's been 2 weeks since I contacted Cabelas customer service . . . STILL, NO RESPONSE from them. I'm convienced they don't care about retaining customers. There buisness must be great that they can just "blow" their customers off. I'm not happy & will not buy from them in the future.

2 comments
A
Jan 07, 2012 4:18 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am dissatisfied with Cabelas at the low management level, too. There is no way to contact the board or anyone high enough in management to make a difference. Cabelas would not provide me with a receipt for merchandise purchased as a gift. Demanding a receipt was useless because their lower management is brainless. The last straw was when they sent a gift to the wrong address then blamed me. With no receipt for my purchase I didn't have a leg to stand on. Lower management refused to overnight a package one county away from the store to my mother. I had to express mail the item from Alaska but it arrived late because nothing moves fast from rural Alaska. I've been a loyal Cabelas customer for decades but have ended my association with them over this incident. Cabelas is too big to care about individual customers today. Everyone who purchases an item in this country is entitled to a receipt.

J
Dec 07, 2011 6:31 pm EST

are those dates correct if so have they sent you the dog collar yet please contact me at [email protected]

8:36 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am of the opinion that Cabela's is using unauthorized means to collect personal, private identifying information. Their policy is disturbing, questionable, and suspicious. If you read the fine print of their return policy, the "100% gaurantee" is apparently a half-truth. In order to complete a return or exchange the buyer must "present a valid photo ID...

B
12:23 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

0% interest promotion seems to be a scam. Don't get burned by Cabelas 0% interest "deal". Warning!! Don't get burned by this HOT Slick DEAL. Be aware that the Bank that Cabelas uses is World's Foremost Bank. It is basically owned by Cabelas. The Bank policy is such that it is "almost impossible" to get the 0% interest. This is their scam. Say your monthly...

8:27 am EST

Cabela's - rejected my order three times

I have got to order one time threw BILL me Later and ever since I have be turn down threw the other stores ! What kind of scam are you running ? You all make it sound so good and somebody and then you continue to turn me down. This is fraud and I will go higher up to see that this dont happen to me ever again ! You all need to make things right to the customers that you false advertisement to ! How can companies like you live with themselves knowing what you are doing to your CUSTOMERS ?

Update by Denitia Booth
Dec 15, 2008 8:33 am EST

This is exactly is whats happening with so many customers. It all needs to stop now. They need to follow the true advertisments ! Dont send no more false advertisments to our EMIALS ! Thank YOU!

Mar 13, 2009 12:58 am EDT

If you get rejected by BillMeLater, it is because you have bad credit. That's all there is to it. If you have a problem contact them at [protected]

Cabela's contacts