British Airwaysbritish airways flights. rude, unprofessional ba staff.

R Jul 17, 2019

So on 31/12/18, I booked a holiday to the Dominican Republic for 27/06/19 - 11/07/19.
We were travelling from Manchester. 6 weeks before departure, I learned that we had to travel from Manchester to Heathrow and then to Gatwick for our onward flight to DR. We naively assumed that BA would provide the transfer between the London Airports, but discovered we had to do it ourselves. I called BA customer service and asked if we could swap to a direct flight from Manchester to DR, and was told that I had to take it up with the agent I'd booked with. I called the agent only to be told I must take it up with BA. I tried again with BA who referred me back to the agent. I was getting nowhere fast.
Eventually the agent advised they would speak with BA and request a change to the flights as I had offered to pay any difference straight away. They came back to me within 2 days to say that BA had advised it was not allowed to swap flights - even 6 weeks in advance of the journey. So i asked if it was possible to miss out Heathrow and fly direct from Manchester to Gatwick then. Again I had to wait two days to be told that no such flight existed and that there were no options for me to change any flight details. - The itinerary did not appear until the holiday was paid in full, which was 6 weeks before and we immediately questioned the flights - after all, who on earth would choose 3 airports in one morning to get to one destination?
Anyway, despite every effort to sort something out with BA - I was told that there was nothing I could do.
Resigned, I booked a BA transfer ([email protected]) to get us between Heathrow and Gatwick.
27th June arrived and we set off at 1.30am for Manchester as we were told by BA there was a 3 hour check in for the Caribbean & we were flying at 7.05am. We arrived at Manchester airport at 3am, only to discover all the BA desks were closed. there were no seats or anything and we had to stand there until 4.45am when 2 bleary eyed staff turned up to load the baggage tickets etc. We were already checked in and just needed to drop the luggage - but we were given new boarding passes anyway. After all security checks, we boarded the flight at 6.45am - so it was already clear the flight was going to be delayed. 7.05 came & went - we eventually took off at 7.45 - so we would already be pushed for our transfer to Gatwick as we were already 40 minutes late. Got to Heathrow - no sign of the BA transfer taxi driver who has emailed instructions that advised they would be waiting at a designated point with out name on a board. We waited 25 minutes and called them. They said they would meet us in the short stay car park and not the designated meeting point. Luckily a very helpful chap told us where that was. We waited there for another 25 minutes always mindful that we still had to get to Gatwick and were fast running out of time. Eventually a tatty black VW Jetta turned up and an Asian woman advised she was our driver. She then proceeded to remove a child seat from the car in order to fit us in. Seriously? this is BA airport transfer service?
We just managed to get to Gatwick in time, but no time at all spare.
Our 12 noon flight to DR again was late and took off at 12.30. The flight was an utter nightmare. Rude and surly staff who simply ignored the call button, or if they were asked when passing, 'forgot' to bring the order - so during the whole 8 and a half hour flight, we had 2 drinks.
The seating space was an utter disgrace - I'm 5 feet 3 and struggled. Matters were not helped when the inconsiderate passengers in front decided to recline for the duration of the flight, despite being asked politely by both myself and the staff to sit up at least during meal times - They didn't which meant we couldn't put the trays down when the food arrived. We couldn't watch the entertainment screen as it was only 7 inches from our faces. I asked staff if we could move seats and were advised that there were none available, but in fact there were several rows with no passengers.
Keep in view that we had begun our journey at 1.30am, it was 16.40pm when we finally landed at Punta Cana airport.
The return flight on 11 July was no better. Take off was due 17.35pm, but didn't happen until 18.05. Same scenario - inconsiderate passengers reclining - I should add that I did try to book the business class seats on all flights, but there must have been a mass rush when the check in opened only 24 hours before the flights, as all of those seats had gone.
This long flight had the additional bonus of a child screaming for a full 8 and a half hours without stopping for breath. Despite requests for staff to intervene, nothing happened - the parents made no attempt to calm the child. Again we were restricted to two drinks for the whole flight. We landed at Gatwick at 7.20am instead of 06.55am, No sign of the BA airport transfer taxi - I phoned only to be told the driver had a puncture...I asked if there was more than one driver and reiterated the importance of us getting to Heathrow for our onward flight and that we were already late - they said they would text 2 other numbers for taxis and put the phone down.
The first number didn't answer - the second number advised they would be about 5 minutes. 40 minutes and 3 calls later they had still not turned up - they were coming from Gatwick north apparently, we were at south.
Luckily an airport employee could see our distress. I quickly explained. He called a number and a cab was there in a few minutes. Relieved and with just about enough time to get there, we set off - then the motorway signs started flashing and speed reduced to 40mph and only one lane open because a car was on fire on the M25! I was on the news as well.
This journey simply wasn't going to be made easy - So we got to Heathrow at 9.35 - boarding had started at 9.30 for a 10.10 flight. We ran to the BA desks and quickly explained all that had happened, showed our boarding passed and begged to be let on the flight. Your abrupt member of staff looked bored and totally disinterested and she said - 'you're too late and will need to book another flight - go over there' and pointed vaguely at some desks.
We got to the desks and explained again - the staff member just looked at us. There was by that time still 30 minutes until take off - but he told us boarding closes 45 minutes before departure, which is clearly a lie as the boarding pass showed 9.30 boarding for a 10.10 flight - I make that 40 minutes? I pointed this out which didn't go down at all well and her came back with - 'there are no flights available until 8.40 tonight' And gave us new boarding passes for 10 and a half hours later. The 10.10 flight was delayed - there was plenty of time to get us on board, but no - 10 and a half hours sat on hard chairs after already having set off 11 hours earlier. Is this your usual standard of service British Airways? This was a truly diabolical service on all flights concerned. Absolutely no empathy for the customer, herded about like cattle, rude staff in every part of the journey. Even a your girl in cabin crew said how much she disliked working for you and couldn't wait to get away.

Flight details are -
PNR LQUJF8
27/06/19
7.05 MAN - BA1385 - LHR 08.15
12.00 LGW - BA2205 - PUJ 16.05

11/07/19
17.35 PUJ -BA2204 - 06.55 LGW
10.10 LHR - BA1839 -11.20 MAN

I would like suitable recompense for this disgraceful treatment in the form of refund for all flights and the additional taxi fees incurred, which has had a detrimental affect to my mental health & well being.
Please acknowledge receipt of this mail & a full outcome within the next 14 days.

• Aryan Russ Sep 28, 2019

To the author:
    Such complaint looks optimistic for the lovers of the detective stories, but it is insuficient for the public resolution in your favour at the UK or "DR"court.

If the author wants the compensation, the complaint regarding the delay of the flight or regarding the lack of the services on the international contract of the air carriage along with request on reimbursemnet, preferably of the defined sum, shall be submitted to the air carrier as folloows:
    - air carrier name, address
    - passenger name address contacts
    - PNR of 6 signs or e-ticket number of 13 digits
    - events in the chronological order; I assume that the text of the public complaint match this condition partially
    - reason of reimbursment; I assume that the text of the public complint match this condition partially
    - the sum of the reimbursemnt or the other gorm of the reimbursemnt
    - account of the pasenger in any bank or the place of the issuance of the cash

The air carrier shall reimburse within 10-15 days, which usually air carriers do not do.
    Each air carrier employ the lawyers.

The case regarding the reimbusremnt, following the absenef the reply of the air carrier, shall be addressed to the county / district court with or without the assitance of a lawyer or a legal professional.
    The certified UK lawyer (a member of the UK bar) costs 100-130 pounds per 1 hour.

Most of the EU countries, UK including, allow to submit applications of the cutomer for the decsion on the reimbursement till amount of 5000 EUR (5000GBP for UK), without the presentation of the lawyer before the court, for the fees ranging EUR 80-120 (about 100GBP).

So, the author can hire the legal professional in the civil aviation, whom the documents regarding the described events must be submitted. Such professional can prepare the civil law suit on behalf of the passenger for the fee around 150-250 GBP and return to the passenger. The passenger can submit such suit to the county court in the place of the UK residence, can pay application fee by himself / herself and can present the case before the judge by himself/herself, without the lawyer.
    All must be done not later than 2 years following the complaint to the air carrier, if the passenger wants the compensation within the described circumsatnces.