Complaints & Reviews

Misrepresents Contract...Stuck....

Birch Communications... RUN! Don't even call them asking questions. I did, and somehow ended up with them saying I had agreed to their contract, and if I don't want the service it will cost me $1200! Even though I didn't, and it wasn't even installed! So after much back and forth, I went with it, and they have been charging me all kinds of outrageous fees I knew nothing about ever since. I've made numerous phone calls trying to figure it out. Supposedly they put my account in review, and in the mean time, they cut service off to my business! Then charged me $40 and made me pay the entire amount in dispute before they would put service back AT MY BUSINESS! Horrible customer service.

Deceptive sales practice

I called inquiring about internet service. Next thing I know, they've delivered internet box and sent...

Awful service

Birch communications had phone out on and off for 6 weeks!!! It is impossible to get the repairs done in a timely fashion, even after it was documented that the problem was with their internal equipment, computers, not with the actual lines to or inside my house. It was impossible to make long distance phone calls, caller ID did not work, now there is no dial tone!

Customer service leaves you on hold for up to 40 min (I gave up at that point as I was on a cell phone) and then when they answer, cop an attitude of why are you complaining!!!

To add insult to injury, they did not adjust the bill for all the time the phone wasn't working. I would recommend that NO ONE EVER contract with this company! They are AWFUL!!!

• La
    LauraW Mar 28, 2011

My name is Laura Wagner and I work in the Marketing Dept. for Birch Communications. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service. I am sorry to hear about your difficulty. Please email me at [email protected] regarding your experience with Birch Communications. I will partner with our Customer Care Director to help resolve your issue. Thank you.

Stay away

If you thing their slamming practices were bad check this out: In the spring Birch Communications lost over 1000 business customers who promptly switched over to Closecall America. Since then Birch Communications has been looking to purchase Closecall America and has recently done so with the full intent of bankrupting a perfectly good, PROFITABLE, and reputable company simply out of spite. Now, a whole company full of hard working and happy employees is about to lose their jobs WITHOUT warning or compensation simply because this company has enough money to buy it to put it out of business. Birch Communications has had NUMEROUS complaints filed with the BBB, FCC, and a number of PSC's. They also filed Chapter 11 back in 2005 because they lost so many customers due to their shady tactics. Do yourself a favor people and STAY AWAY!!!

Sales

The complaint is not really with Birch Telecom, but with me. I was perfectly happy with ATT, but Birch seemed to have a better program that could save me money. I should have paid more attention to my termination clause with ATT. That has cost me money and it will take sometime to recoup my charge. I have no complaint about their service, but make sure you know what your contract is with ATT before you change. Overall I probably will not save any money with these guys. But, I have signed a three year contract will probably go back with ATT when done. But that is such a long time away. I will definitely wait the three years to change. Stories of Birch aggressively going about collecting terminated fees abound. Wsh I had seen all these complaints before I signed on. However, their BBB record is pretty good. Just one of those buyer beware things.

Thieves

I dont understand how a phone company can switch your phone services without your knowledge and start charging you. Once i got their bill i called my phone company and they said that what they had done was illegal and that i needed to call them to cancel their services and report them to the fcc. I called Birch and explained to them what was going on and that i didn't want their services. I thought everything was worked out, that was until i got another bill from them for $1750.00 for a termination fee. If they call you, be rude and hang up the phone. They will be hateful and charge you $2000.00 dollars for that phone conversation.

• La
    LauraW Mar 31, 2011

My name is Laura and I am in the Birch Marketing Dept. We take special measures to ensure our customers are aware of the contracts they enter into with Birch Communications. We verify every sale and have an independent third-party company record the transaction. I regret the confusion you experienced on this issue. Please email me at [email protected] regarding your experience with Birch Communications. I will partner with our Customer Care Director to help resolve your issue. Anyone posting on this comment is also welcome to email me. I will do what I can to help resolve these issues. Thank you.

Employees lying to customers

Our office signed up with Birch 5 years ago and I had no complaints about the service. However, I was never told that they offereed DSL and so when we needed more than dial up internet, I called Birch and ask what my renewal date was. Was told that it was up for renewal on 2/16/2010. This person never even ask why I was wanting to change my service. Soooo, in January I faxed in a request to terminate on our renewal date of 2/16/10 and signed up with ATT. All was well, received my final billing and paid it. THEN 30 days letter get a notice that we owe $550 in early termination fees. Of course I immediately called and related what had happened and that their employee had quoted me the 2/16/10 date. They called me back and said yes I was told that 2/19/10 was the date for renewal, but that that was in error and we owed the $550. Ask why it was all my fault and they "said" that someone had called a few days after receiving my fax and left a voice mail stating that the renewal date was 2/16/11. Well I never received any such voice mail. But of course they were totally unwilling to work with me or make any concessions. Will tell everyone I know to stay FAR AWAY from Birch.

• Ka
    Kalechi Mar 20, 2011

Their Evergreen contract that requires a cancellation fee unless you notify them 30 days prior to the anniversary date.
    I was told I had a two year period.
    How did people handle the fee?

I cancelled thier service. They sent me a bill for $1000.00

I was never told about a cancelation fee . They sent be a bill for $1000.00 because I cancelled thier service. I have called and informed them that and they refuse to change anything. They keep telling me that I agreed by a third party and I do not remember any such call. I have spoken to Sharyl Fowler and she was rude and very adament that there would be no changes.This is outrageous.. Talk about a rip-off. It should be my right to cancel when I desire. Where have our rights to be freedom to make our own choices gone?

Has no business being in business

Having been with Birch for more than a year I paid my bill two days late. I received a threatening cut off service letter for the late bill. I thought this was stupid and totally against any kind of descent customer service. I received an offer from ATT that had better rates and I switched. Birch sent me another late bill and a another letter stating I owed them $350.00 for a disconnect fee. These guys represent the greed that all Americans are tired of. Do not do business with them. By the way, the FCC is looking into this matter.

Fraudulent sales practices

I bought Birch service because the salesman promised em that I could disconnect if I didn't like it. It turns out that the taxes were not included in the sales price as promised, so I fired 'em and went back to AT&T. They are trying to collect a $400 disconnection fee -- I guess this is styled to make me want their service again?

Be careful with these guys -- full disclosure is not one of their strong points. The collection agency is getting fairly aggressive as of today, so I am trying another direction to get my disagreement with Birch settled.

• Da
    Dave Donecker May 29, 2008

Absolutely right on the head. I was contacted by Birch and they presented a billing proposal as if they were a billing agent for AT&T and also told me that I could switch back within the 1st 2 months without penalty and the 1st billing was higher than the quote. I am sending a certified letter today canceling their service and switching back to AT&T.
    What BS

• On
    oneminute Jul 07, 2009

Don't EVER go though Birch. I have been with them since 2001. At first, they were an honest and trustworthy company, but in the last year their practices have verged on the criminal. First, your bill is not even mailed to you until 6 days after the payment date, so they can attach huge late fees. Secondly, the phone at my business was disconected one month ago for the new owner. I made the mistake of assuming Birch would no longer bill me. WRONG. I was told I have to pay this months bill as well as next, because I did not contact them for cancelation. I asked if had I not called, would they continue to send a bill for the next two years or longer, and she said yes.
    This is a desperate company, like so many others, will stop at nothing to take advantage of consumers for their benefit. I REPEAT, STAY AWAY.

• Re
    Reviewer69462 Nov 20, 2018

This is a rip off phone service.

• Je
    jeanann kerr Dec 12, 2018

No line!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices