Having problems with Barclays Bank?

+44 34 5734 5345 (Personal Banking - within UK)
+44 24 7684 2100 (Personal Banking - outside of UK)
+44 80 0085 1115 (Premier Banking - Existing Customer)
+44 80 0924 7365 (Premier Banking - New Customers)
+44 34 5605 2345 (Business Banking - Existing Customer)
+44 80 0015 4242 (Corporate Banking - within UK)
+44 16 0656 3191 (Corporate Banking - outside of UK)
1 Churchill Place
London, England, Greater London
United Kingdom - E145HP

Complaints & Reviews

Outright lied to me

A few years ago, I received an offer for a low interest credit card from Juniper Bank (since aquired by Barclays). I accepted the offer and used the card for 2-3 years with no issues. Always paid bills on time; never went even close to the limit.

In June, we made a single large purchase on our Barclays Card which caused us to go over the limit by $50.00. Within days, I realized the mistake I made and went online to pay down the card before even receiving a bill. Did not think about it again.

Fast forward 30 days, and I notice the interest rate has increased from 11.90 to 27.8%.
I called the call center and spoke to a representative asking to reverse this change.
She clearly did not understand why I was complaining or felt justified in my request and kept saying "there is no other offer available on your account" . I don't think she understand that I was not looking for another offer. After much persistence, I was able to speak to a supervisor.

That conversation started similarly ... and I held firm - stating very politely and very clearly that I made a single mistake and even paid the $39 late fee without question. That I have excellent credit and that there was no way to justify this change. I explained that I saw two options 1) For them to reverse the rate increase or 2) I would pay off the balance by Close of Business and contact the regulators and my senator and representatives.

At this point, the representative agreed to remove the rate increase and tried to sell me credit protection ( I am not making this up) . I took down his name, operator ID, noted the date and time of the conversation and thanked him. This was over a week ago.

Today, I logged in to check on payment status and the rates was still at 27+%. Called the call center -... no record of the conversation... refused to allow me to speak to supervisor. I persisted and persisted but to no avail.

Of course, I will now be closing the account and contacting the US credit card regulators, and my senator and congressman. I will also follow up with Barckay "Executive office" via fax as advised by the Manila call center. Based on this experience and what I read here so far, I do not expect much.

I have NEVER been so outright lied to by a company before. I have worked in and managed call centers before and now how unreasonable people can be. I have dealt with so many escalations, I cannot count them. For this reason, I try very hard to be reasonable myself.

I also happen to know that the conversation was likely recorded. I plan to pursue this using lawyers if necessary. I will have the call records pulled and will pursue to the point of legal action up to and including class action if justified.

I hope you can learn from this tale and BE VERY CAREFUL when dealing with company. AVOID at ALL costs.

boxFrontier Jul 23, 2010

Wow, what a joke of a bank. Barclays Bank's customer service department is by far THE worst I have encountered. I am surprised Frontier Airlines has not moved on to a different bank to administer the frequent flier credit card offer. The customer service at the bank is the worst I have ever experienced.

If I did not love Frontier Airlines and want the mileage credit I would have dumped Barclays Bank long ago.

Seriously, I do not understand how a company (Barcays) can stay in business with the poor customer service, lack of follow through, incompetent employees, not well-trained employees on their own products (e. g. stating they don't offer a "Pay Pass" credit card through Frontier Airlines, when they do!!!), weak supervisors, not calling back within 24 hours as they state a manager will do and managers not even aware of what the problem is.

This goes back to mid-May when I was sent a new credit card because I was "upgraded" to a better card. Two months later and nearly 30 phone calls and I don't have resolution and continue to get incompetent customer service employees who give me incorrect information and do not seem to care to fix the situation. Stay clear of getting one of these cards if you can help it. (I read the negative post by a person who "was roped" into one there at the Denver Airport.)

I am so disappointed in this product, Barclays Bank, any Barclays cards, especially the Frontier Airlines Barclays MasterCard, the incompetent call center they use in Manila, the uniformed bank customer service personnel in the U.S. who do not follow through and seem uninterested in helping, Frontier Airlines.

Statement notifications

My account was first use feb 09 charge of 6.26, I never got a statement or bill, but recieved e-mail with a note saying your acct can be reviewed, when I pressed the link it prompted me to set up an account. Not wanting to set up a new account, and the e-mail with the "note to see account" was ignored. I never recived a statement by mail or phone call, I found out I owed barclay bank $126 on 7/20/09 due to a letter sent to me by discover card saying my discover card was cancelled due to the barclay visa account. I would have continued to incur charges on my visa account if it were not for the letter from discover card and then running a credit report to find I was deliquent on my account. This is all over $6.26 charged in feb 09. I have now had various credit cards cancelled, my credit report reflects negatively, and I ended up paying the barclay (Ll bean) credit card 51.37 over the phone for this 6.26 charge barclay if barclay group takes this 6.26 charge so serious as to add $100 in late fees and report it to credit agencies I feel I should have some defense in this matter.. I expect a reply or an adjustment in debt collecting and notification

Draft is original or not and send this name or not

This is send by barclays forgian bank. This is right or wrong. Please send answer as soon as possible

Customer service

Terrible customer service. Terrible on-line reliability. Poor partnership choice for LLBean. Only keeping the card with low credit line for free shipping! Found new primary "rewards" card...

Visa to mastercard billing scam

I have always paid my visa card on time, however, I received my mastercard and activated it on june 23, 2009. On saturday june 27, 2009 I was denied use and was contacted on sunday june 28, 2009 and informed that mastercard had not received my payment (Which I had sent to visa because I never received a bill from mastercard) and if I did not pay them immediately they would not the credit department and effect my credit they also wanted $15.00 for processing the payment. When I informed them I have paid the bill to visa they said that had nothing to do with them and I needed to contact visa myself.

Visa informed me themoney I paid them would be sent to barclays mastercard (Now I have a credit on my account)

I believe this could be a scam to get an additional $15.00 from hundred (Thousands) of card holder being force to convert fro visa to mastercard

Maria from Phoenix Jul 04, 2009

You may be right. Perhaps there is a possible class action there, if more people had the same experience. They have millions of customers, so we may be talking vast amount of money arising from the attempt to improperly charge $15 to each account.
    MasterCard from Barclay's has been forced onto Bank of America customers, but I predict that we will be leaving both the Mastercard and BoA in droves. I have not had the same experience, but want to share another one. I have thousands of dollars in available creit. I attempted to purchase an airplane ticket, this morning. I got the message on the BA board that my card was rejected and to contact the provider. I called. Spent 10 minutes on line, having confirmed the authorization, was told that everything was taken care of, tried to purchase again, same story, only in the interim the customer rep hang up on me. I called again. We repeated the routine. Finally, I bought the ticket using a different card. An hour later my attempt to pay at a restaurant (less than $40 check) was rejected and I wa stold my card was cancelled. I used another card and called the customer service again. They kept me on hold then apologized profusely and told me that the card was usable. Later in the afternoon, I attempted to use it in a grocery store. The bill was $39. The payment was not approved. I used my debit card. Wjen I called again, I spent 42 minutes first with another incompetent customer rep, who sounded drank, but perhaps was just poorly trained, then with a supervisor. The latter took 30 minutes to purportedly correct everything. We'll see. If my next attempt to use the card is rejected again, I will just pay it off, cut it up and move my money to another bank altogether. What is the point of having a credit card, when you cannot purchase an airline ticket. At a minimum, they should have advised us, when we were forced to switch to this incompetent provider, that we should call in advance of buying anything on line. O.K., I vented. But I think that it would make sense to have customers react en mass to incompetent institutions. God knows they cost us enough.

• Gr
    GraceKing Jul 16, 2009

I also had problems when my B of A Visa was cancelled and Barclay's Master took over U s Airways Dividend Miles. I do all my banking online and had advised B of A to pay my US Airways Visa card on the 22nd June. Without my knowledge B of A removed my Visa card from my online banking site and also removed the request for payment to Visa on the 22/07. A few days ago I received a statement from Barclays and it had the remaining balance from my old Visa and the new charges I made on my new Visa (not my Barclays Master Card) and I can not explain how that ever happened. The charges were legitimate but they were on the wrong card. I did receive new cards from Barclays but never activated them because I do not like dealing with Master Card. THERE WAS ALSO AN $87.+ FINANCE CHARGE INCLUDED BECAUSE I DID NOT PAY THE BALANCE ON MY VISA. I hope everyone is also checking to make sure there were not illigitimate finance charges on their bill. After spencing at least an hour on the phone with Barchaly they told me that I would have to pay my bill via telephone to avoid the $15 charge to do it in person. When I tried calling they said I would have to set up a bank account to make the payment, then told me to give them a routing number and account number. I punched in the routing number and it immediately returned me to customer service who said they would have to charge me $15 dollars. I then called my Premier Bank Manager at B of A and told them they would need to take care of this. What a mess. And, I still have not paid my bill to Barclays because I do not know if B of A is paying the previous balance to them or not!!! Check your statements!!

Incompetent, useless, crap

I have never ever received such bad service from a bank and I have had accounts in many countries around the...

Customer Service Among the Worst Ever

Terrible customer service. Just terrible. And here's my favorite part: Every time I call, I get a prompt to take a customer service survey. I passed the first time, but each call after - and believe me, there were about 8 more tries - I either selected it or asked to be transferred to the survey. Each time they hung up on me. Clearly the survey doesn't exist. I asked via email to have it sent to me - no dice. I asked a manager for it - no dice. I finally got a hold of a woman (aka the ironically named RELATIONSHIP MANAGER!!) and asked her to transfer me. She said, that's not available at this time. I said the woman on the automated recording walked me through prompts just 2 minutes ago. She asked me again who told me it was available. I told her. She said, well, it's not available now. I asked when it WOULD be avail. She said, maybe tonight. I asked her what time. Like midnight? She said, tomorrow morning. I asked her what time. Like 7am? She said, I don't have access to that information, try tomorrow. If it doesn't exist, just tell me. I would rather that than being lied to. They are ruthless when it comes to their fees, and I knew their reputation for that going in, but man, it's harsh. No wiggle room, no compassion, just mercenaries. And I guess mercenaries don't give out How Am I Doin' Surveys. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK. YOU WILL REGRET IT, I PROMISE.

• Gd
    gdaly Jun 03, 2016

I became totally disabled and had a difficult time paying some bills. I contacted a debt management company so I could make payments to my credit card companies. Every company worked with me except Juniper Bank. I called many times. I e-mailed, and send several letters . They never once responded to the e-mails or letters eventhough they were sent to the main headquarters. What total disrespect for custormers. Now that I am back on track and have paid them off they lost a good customer. The way I was treated was horrible. I was trying to be responsible and pay my debt but they refused to work with me. Stay away from this bank.

• Ramelle Jun 03, 2016

You weren't a good customer. You defaulted.

continued over limit fees

This bank is a fraud!!! Not only are they making money out of the outrageous interest fees that they charge (mine's is 27.24%), they are making money out of these over limit fees that they continue to charge even though I never went over my limit and ALWAYS paid my minimum payment on time! I got a $300 limit and made sure to stay below that limit. When I received my first bill, I already had a $39.00 over limit fee. They claim that the interest charge made my limit go over, my understanding from other credit card's that I've had is that if I don't pay it off the whole amount due for that 1st billing statement, then I'll accrue the interest charge. In other words, how was I suppose to know when to pay the minimum before the interest charge was going to be added when I hadn't even received a bill yet? Oh but it doesn't stop there...I have had 4 more over limit fees because every time I send in a payment and before the "due date", they claim that I should have sent the payment before the "23 grace period, which supposedly is before the interest charges are added". How is anyone suppose to know that you're suppose to send in a payment 2 weeks before the "due date" so that your interest charge won't be added? This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. I called and have spoken to several representatives, which by the way are not friendly, they're rude and they don't seem to care about helping the customers. As a matter of fact, I spoke to a "supervisor" which was even more rude and not helpful. I don't think the customer service line is in the US because every time I call, I have a hard time understanding the representatives. Twice I called and asked the representatives that for example if I sent in $100 instead of the minimum due of $21, would that cover me and I won't be charged the over limit fee for the next statement, she said "yes, it will cover you and you will not be charged". Well guess what I had on my next bill? ANOTHER OVER LIMIT FEE! And again, I called to complain that the representative had previously told me that my $100 would cover me of any over limit fees and of course that representative said that she did not know why that representative said that and that "unfortunately" there's no record of me even speaking to anyone. So again, I asked her how much I would have to send in to cover my over limit fee and she said $90.00, I mailed in $95.00 just to be sure and guess what I got for the next monthly statement? Yet ANOTHER $39.00 OVER LIMIT FEE!!! I am so frustrated with this company and every time I call to complain, they don't provide me with another number to call the top executives of this company, instead they give me a fax #. What am I suppose to do with a fax #?!!

Unwanted phone calls

I want to start off by saying I feel sorry for anyone who has a credit card with this company. Read further...

Not being able to use my card

I have been tryin since November 2008 to use my card. Firstly Barclaycard started sending my mail to Liverpool, France. It took five months to pursuade them that Liverpool was actually in England. They then sent me another card, the two previous were of no use. I managed to use the third one for all of twenty four hours and then it was blocked. I rang up and I was assured it was my fault for not putting the card in properly. Luckily I did not believe them and paid my last hotel bill with cash. This was to avoid the embarrasment I felt when the card was not accepted four days earlier. Today I decided to try it to see if it was working, of course it wasn't.<br />
I am sorry to bother you in this way, and as I have been a client of yours for approx. thirty years I have turned to you for help. I can assure you I have tried every thing I can to find the complaints department at Barclaycard Visa.<br />
I await your advise.<br />
<br />
Joseph Quinn

Apr charged

I have been a credit card customer of barclaycard for more than 20 years. I have a spotless credit record and...

Deceptive practices

Was offered 35, 000 USairways Frequent Flier Miles to open USAirways Mastercard. Read offer sheet thoroughly...

Unfair practice for balance transfer

I had inherited this credit card because llbean changed visa providers. I noticed in my bill that they were...

Unable to withdraw funds even though money available

My husband and I tried to withdraw some of our available funds from our joint account as my husband needed...

24 comments Carshalton Banks

Poor service

Dear barclays bank,

My name is joseph baraka ngoviro and your three years customer with your barclays bank in tanzania - arusha branch, i'm working with conservation corporation africa limited - trade as & beyond. I, as the customer with barclays bank tanzania - arusha branch would kindly like to bring into your attantion the followngs complaint's regarding my loan application / poor handling of my loan application... December 19th 08 last year,

I did made and processed a re-loan application at your sopa plaza in arusha branch - tanzania. According to a loan processor, by then neema kweka, she said if all is fine with your document, the loan should probably get into my account not late than three weeks from the day applied which is okay for me as I do remembered waiting the same time in my privous first application applied on the year 2007 which came into success after three weeks of application.

This time I have waited for three weeks of my dec.19 - 08 application but there was no success only to find out that barclays bank dar es salaam sent back my document to arusha branch only because of missing some informations. Getrude, this time was handling the matter after neema kweka left for her martenity leave and that was in mid january year 09, I then asked getrude what was a problems for the document to be sent back to arusha? Did barclays bank refused my application? She said no but some information are missing, then I said to getrude, do I required to come to your bank and re-fills those missing information? She said no... We shall do our self at the bank. Means that they new what was missing and they should have done it in the first time of application... !!

Anyway, I said its okay getrude coz mistakes happens sometime, then I started waiting for another three weeks, total six weeks!! But today I was shocked again after not even six weeks but almost ten weeks since waiting and she just sms through my number and said, hi, I am sorry to tell you that your loan application has some missing information again with our systerm on your date of birth, she ends up said, I have just received documents from barclays dar es salaam... Thanks barclays bank.

Anyway because I really needed that loan for my personal issues, I decided to phone getrude back and asked, what has happened again... ?!! She said the above is missing and barclays bank are no longer processing any loan... !! But asked do you know how long have applied for that loan? She yes but sorry we can't do any process for now.
I want to ask barclays, is it the way to handle your customer issues??? Why did this happened like that? I'm so much angry to the way I have been served despite being a very small customer... !!! I have never had any problems with my loan re-payment since my first loan 2007.

As I work as the camp assistsnt manager in one consarvetion corperation africa propeties in serengeti national park, I have never try to upset my customer just like that... !!Because I know what it mean for them to travel with my company properties... ,

I don't think barclays does the way it supposed to during my service... !! And I wonder why as your small customer... !!!

Thank you so much and looking forward for your help in this matter,

Regards,

Joseph baraka ngoviro

• Un
    Unaniomous Jul 21, 2009

I very much agree with what Joseph Baraka Ngoviro wrote. These foreign banks do not care about locals and they will only serve people who have colateral and huge properties. In other words Barclays will only entertain the big fish like Conservation Corporation Africa and not individuals like Joseph or local companies. Try and talk to the Branch Manager Camilius Kweka, he will immediately discourage you if you are contemplating on even securing a temporary overdraft! Barclays are here in Tanzania to serve their masters and have no interest whatsoever to do business with Tanzanians.
    Barclays Customer- Arusha.

• Be
    Ben Nkolomboka Dec 14, 2009

The staff labor turnover within the banks implies that there is a total confusion within the the management, therefore do not shocked once they will give you such a preferential treatment of wasting your time

mawala Jul 22, 2010

Honestly this was a very shocking statement i received as well last year when applied a loan with Barclay!! to me it seem as ''loan'' has been used as a trap to capture customers. They have absolutely attractive offer however, secure the loan with Barclay is a nightmare! I waited for six month yet did not work out!!

• Fr
    frejack Mar 03, 2011

Barclay the just playing with customers, I remember one time they advice me to open my salary account and after 3months they can operate my loan no loan it was just monetary story.barclays customer-Dar es salaam

• Pm
    pmaira Feb 24, 2012

This is now becoming the national calamitity, every one should understand that our government is the main problem, the foundation and un necessary conditoins for the getting personel loans doesnt meet the realy situation of most tanzanians, not only Barclays bank, but also the rest of all commercial banks do the same, the government should convince all bankers in tanzania to provide the loans to tanzanian especilly those with the little capital, and their land should stand to support them to get loans from various bank within the country,

Terrible company

I have a US AIR Credit Card and made regular payments through my checking account. The amount is usually $50 more than the minimum to account for additional charges. The payment is automated and scheduled to arrive 10 days before due date.

I made a payment of $650 one month which turned out to be $25 less tanh the balance due. When they notified me, I sent the additional money and adjusted my future payments.

I was told the this is considered a late payment and they raised my interest rate to 27%. I called them but could not get any answer other than 'there is nothing anyone can do'. I asked for the customer service manager and was told there is none there at the call center in the Philippines.

I asked for a name and phone number for someone in the Delaware Headquarters and was told they didn't know anyone there. I asked for the name of the head of the bank in Wilmington and was given a fictious name that didn't exist.

To this day I have not been able to get a name to contact. I have never missed any payments in 40 years and this is the way they treated me. I had a problem with Citibank and called them and they took care of it immediately.

Don't deal with foreign owned banks that are afraid to get customer service calls because they know how bad their service is.

• Ep
    episkopiabi Apr 13, 2011

Barclays seem to be the only business in the world that actively DO NOT want customers to contact them! On their correspondence there is no website, no e-mail address only a number for their ineffective call centre in India, I have banked with them for years and fully intend to close my account (if only i can find a way to do it!!) It seems they have no idea that customers have a choice these days and anyone who has experienced their lackluster customer service will choose not to bank with them

Unauthorized billing

When the bank solicited me, they indicated it was a 'special deal' for Travel Agents like myself involving specialized points for travel and an opportunity to earn larger commissions from their travel partners. Fraudulent Representation.

As with so many others writing a complaint here, I too fell victim of them illegally withholding funds that cleared the bank. That's when I canceled the card.

After the account closed, my insurance carrier inadvertently charged something in error on the closed account. I filed a dispute with both Juniper and the insurance carrier. It took 30 days for the insurance carrier to process the credit.

Juniper added a $39 overlimit fee, a $29 late fee as well as increasing interest on the incorrect billing. Although Juniper processed the credit for the initial disputed charge, they are ILLEGALLY charging the $39 over limit and $29 late fee in addition to 31% interest on all the the incorrect billing.

Now, the kicker is, Juniper refused a physical address to Fed Ex documentation to remedy the matter. I contacted the Department of Banking and Insurance receiving a physical address as well as the president of the Credit Division, Richard Vauge.

A package was sent containing documentation and a formal letter of dispute FED EX. Juniper refused to accept the package and sent it back. They continually refuse to accept any registered documentation that would 'hold up' in court and disregard all inquiries sent to the PO Box on the statements.

Oh, and the FTC sent their same usual response - a pamphlet outlining my rights and an apology that all they can do is monitor the activies, but not ENFORCE any existing consumer protection laws.

What do we have to do to give the Dept of Banking and Insurance TEETH to SHUT disreputable businesses down.

Awful experience

I signed an agreement with Barclays Bank for a Juniper credit card with a specific credit limit. I had it for 6 months, and intended only to use it when I needed it. So, when I needed it, I used it, but I did not max out the card. I only used 1/3 of the limit.

So Juniper/Barclays decides to 'lower' my credit limit to less than the balance I had just used. So basically, I am now $45 over the new limit! And oddly, my Dec statement still shows my original credit limit (not the new lowered limit). But they emailed me to inform me that I am 'over' my limit!

I called them and explained that when I signed with them, my limit was a specific amount; I am a customer in good standing; I have not abused the credit card; but they chose to lower the limit to less than I had charged! I said I wanted my original credit limit put back on the card!

I also let them know that if they dare charge me an 'over-the-limit' fee that I won't be paying anything on the card, and they can just deal with my attorney.

But they said they reserve the right to lower the limit. On a customer who has not abused the card? Yes, because I didn't 'use' the card! How absurd is that!

So apparently, it seems to me (IMO) that Juniper/Barclays would prefer customers who 'abuse' the card, max it out, and then don't pay, so Barclays can spend hundreds of dollars trying to get the balance of the card, opposed to a customer who does 'not' abuse the card and only uses it when necessary, and pays on time! I guess I should have 'abused' the card! That seems (IMO) to be the only type of customer they prefer!

So IMO, and from my experience, I recommend you do NOT get a Juniper/Barclays card. Sure, all credit cards are a rip, but it's worse when they 'punish' a good customer for 'being' a good customer. And I just want to warn the public. There are enough legit and professional companies out there without using ones who rip you off!

• Mi
    michael anarkwah Apr 01, 2011

In fact i disagree that some of the sectors of the Barclay's bank are closing down in Ghana and in central part of Ghana especially with the one in Agona swedru. I think and i know the banking system has go far enough to be close down at this moment we need most and we have put our interest most in it. Now it is creating chaos in the town as to where to safe or open new account, if you ask me why i will say most of the people in here are business woman and men so there is daily activities but now they are closing many poeple can not get access to get money in time as it use to be. The other banks working on here are more rural banks and commercial bank but it looks frustration to get access to these centers when you need it most. Also because of the banking system many of our neighbors that is the closest town and those we share border with also have access to the bank. I quite remember i met two guys and a woman who are from other part of the country using their ATM card happily talking of how it has help them or safe them. All they were saying was they come from long way and in short of money and the woman saying she really need money to do some business transactions even though she did not open her account on here and more not to talk about those of them who take theirs inside the bank. I am saying this because i am a regular and day by day working with them because i have put in all the sales i made for the day inside my account, i always go there before time beat me. So i will pleaded with officials and heads of stuff who took this decision to reverse it. We will be so much glad if you consider us with this proposal so our daily activities and business on here won't go down to us day by day partners and other who really need this. Michael

£3500 from incorrect account

I have stumbled across this website, primarily to vent my frustration in having to deal with a bank who obviously have no concern for their customers.

I rang the customer service line over 4 weeks ago to arrange an appointment at my local branch to pick up £3500 in cash from my ISA. The customer manager assured me he had sent a fax to have the money ready after 48 hours. When i arrived at the branch the appointment had not been made and i was forced to wait and then the collection was given to me in £10 notes. thats fine, not a huge problem. I hav'nt dealt with my bank much, my expectations are fairly low, the fact is i got it and was happy. The cashier at the desk confirmed back to me that i wanted this amount taken from my ISA. I also found it strange that i was told on the customer service line that i would need two forms of ID and proof of address, which i had ready and yet was not asked for any of these, even when prompted she said it was OK.

I arrived home from work that evening and tried to make a top up on my mobile phone only to discover i had insufficient funds. The cashier had taken £3500 from my current account instead of my ISA and put me £2500 over my agreed overdraft limit! It amazes me how this girl was able to obtain authorisation to be able to do such a thing.

That night i called barclays customer service again to complain and request the the money be transferred into my current account. I am a very easy-going person and it takes alot to get me angry however after being told that they could not do this as i had to call the savings and investments team, although they were only open between 9 and 5, my patience began to fail me. At this point i asked them if they would be able to organise me a call back to be able to do this, as i do not have a land line i should not be expected to call a premium rate number due to an error made on their part. I was put on hold and subsequently hung up on. After calling back again to speak to someone else i was assured that no charges would be made on my account and that unfortunately i had no choice but to call this other number myself and that all they could do was lodge a complaint.

The next day i successfully managed to transfer the funds myself by calling the savings and investments team. Later i realised i had been charged for going overdrawn confirming that Barclays have done absolutely nothing to satisfy my request besides sending me one letter assuring me that i would recieve a reply to my complaint before a certain date and then a second letter extending this time by another month.

I have since received a letter from a customer relations case manager stating that they hope thay have answered all of my concerns (with no mention to the charges that gave incurred, reminded to them in a complaint by email also!) and that "in order to prevent this from reoccurring please insure that all of your transaction details are confirmed to you before they are processed." I can't help thinking that surely having had the cashier ask me "so you want this from your ISA then" should be enough confirmation for anyone and in order for it not to re-occur then surely i should expect more from a complaint resolution letter than what I CAN DO!

As i have not received these charges back yet i will be speaking to customer non-services again on Monday to attempt to resolve this matter.

I would advise anyone to stay away from barclays. I understand that the lack in real competition between banks and the hassle that can result in trying to change banks has resulted in them not having to even attempt to satisfy customers needs however this will not be stopping me from leaving them, i plan to do so immediatley after obtaining my charges back...which probably will not be anytime soon.

Is the message below true and what is the name of their fund transfer unit manager?

please, i would like to know if this mail is really from the barclays international bank in the UK and also...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices