Menu
R
Author of the complaint
6:33 pm
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I wanted to share a terrible experience at your Benfield Veterinary clinic in Parker CO on 5/26/2010. I called the location on 5/25/10 because my kitty cat of 16, almost 17, years was extremely sick and we could not get him into our regular vet until 5/27/10. We brought him in, got checked in, and waited for the vet to come in. When the vet came in she informed me there was nothing she could do until she performed blood tests in the amount of $255 dollars to diagnose him. Now, I can understand if there were no physical symptoms or if the cat was healthy and vibrant that these tests would be required. My cat was extremely old, frail, was losing significant amounts of weight, clearly dehydrated, had basically stopped eating, and I had already been asked multiple times how long he had been lethargic. I explained to the vet that I did not want to make him needlessly suffer and did not feel that these expensive blood tests were going to change the outcome; it was time to let him go. Shockingly, your doctor refused.in fact, she began to explain to me that it was company policy that these tests be performed. She explained she had never seen him before and he wasn’t "comatosed" or anything, she would not euthanize him. I was extremely upset, expressed that we had another appointment the next day and were only there because I felt it was necessary to have him seen so soon. I also stated that I found it unusual that your company policy was to force grieving families to spend unnecessary money in an effort to treat a pet that had lived a long life and clearly had dire medical issues going on. She still declined. Interestingly enough, she offered to send me home with antibiotics for him. I asked how she could prescribe antibiotics when she hadn’t performed the blood tests. Interesting, seems the company policy is only in effect for customers who have been profiled as able to pay the price? Either way, I want you to know we took him to our regular vet yesterday morning where he was humanely put to sleep like he should have been the day before. He was put to sleep because our regular vet could clearly see that there was one of three things wrong. His kidneys were failing, his liver was failing, or he was diabetic and would require lifetime injections. It seems odd to me that your vet could not see what was going on, but another could?
The point of my letter is to let someone know how incredibly in-humane I find this entire experience. We were forced to take a sick kitty in and out, back and forth, to two different doctors to be poked and prodded because your vet continued to do nothing but quote company policy! Company policy is the way products are returned, or why you can’t get cash back without a receipt, NOT why your family member is clearly forced to suffer while the doctor continues down her power trip! I am disgusted, horrified, and don’t think I can continue to spend my money in a store that does not practice humane treatment, even when that means euthanasia. Yesterday, I told my neighbors, co-workers, friends, and family members what happened at Pet Smart and I can assure you they will think twice when faced with a choice of where to take their animals.

More Banfield Pet Hospital complaints & reviews

Banfield Pet Hospital - my dog's dental cleaning
Banfield Pet Hospital - $250 minimum visit charge if you use care credit financing
Banfield Pet Hospital - customer service
Banfield Pet Hospital - wellness care plan is a scam
Banfield Pet Hospital - veternary abuse, company cover-up
Banfield Pet Hospital - unquakified per care
1 comments
W
Jul 02, 2012 9:36 am

I'm sorry, but I have to say something about this. The other vet that you took your animal to the following day could not has possibly been able to adequately say that your cat's kidneys or liver was failing or that he was a diabetic without doing some type of diagnostics--via bloodwork, urinalysis, radiography--something to support things views. Otherwise, it was just a guess---point, blank, period and that's not vet medicine. Although I do not know the entire story surrounding the first vet, it is the vet's call to decide if it is OK to put down an animal, WITH SUPPORTING EVIDENCE, that it's in the pet's best interest. I also do not know if you had any history (supporting documents) on your pet available to the vet--that maybe another vet had diagnosed your cat with x, y, or z...that all would have made a difference. They have the right to refuse to do that if they think that it is something that can be treated or helped. Since it seems you did not want any diagnostics preformed and merely wanted the cat to be euthanized, no one could say if it was treatable. Sure, you also have the right to take your animal to another vet who may or may not preform the euthanasia as well, but the proper way for things to be done, is to make a diagnoses or have some type of supporting evidence that this animal has a condition that can not be treated or that quality of life will be affected even with treatment and it's in the best interest of that animal to be put down. Let me give you a simple example--using your own vets "presumptive" diagnosis with no supporting evidence. Let's say your cat was a diabetic...so sick that it was now a DKA, which is worse than just being a diabetic. He would be very sick, but the condition is treatable and can be managed if the owner is willing to manage it. Something like this could have been easily diagnosed by a urinalysis or blood work. Most vets would not feel comfortable putting an animal down without knowing the reason why they should have to put it down, especially if it's something that can be treated.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

418 complaints