Banfield Pet Hospital Logo

Banfield Pet Hospital

Having problems with Banfield Pet Hospital?

+1 866 894 7927 (Corporate Headquarters)
+1 877 500 2288 (Hospital Experience Feedback)
+1 866 277 7387 (Enrollments and Information)
+1 866 935 5738 (Billing or Payment Information)
+1 888 649 2716 (Questions and Plan Cancellation)
+1 877 656 7146 (Website Questions and Comments)
18101 SE 6th Way
Vancouver, Washington

Complaints & Reviews

wellness plan/staff incompetence

I hate hate hate banfield! We were loyal for years and then started getting sent all over the county when we had emergencies and then made to wait hours! We tried to cancel our wellness plan, but somehow there is no record of that effort and we've been told now that our money can't be refunded. They don't tell you over the phone that the cancellation has to be in writing, we were told it would be handled, and conveniently for banfield there is no record of that conversation. Stay away!! We were also completely dissatisfied after taking our bulldog in multiple times for the same symptoms, being asked to pay for expensive medications. When we finally ditched banfield, our new vet told us we could purchase over-the-counter medicines that would relieve our pet. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Definitely contacting the bbb, I just wish there was more I could do.

• N5
    n5541 Nov 23, 2009

Maybe you should read the fine print before signing a contract... Having a pet does cost money. Different doctors use different medication, depending on who you go to.

• Sw
    swm1962 Mar 12, 2010

The plan was not the problem for me. I liked it very much. The problem is that they stopped taking the money out of my account and never told me. So after a while they sent a collections agency after me (had I known they weren't taking the money out of my account I would have gladly paid via mail or internet). This was the only notice I got from them. I immediately paid the amount asked for (which was the remaining amount on the contract). After that I was informed that I would have to start over with a new plan essentially double paying for the remaining months on the original contract. That is what I don't like about Banfield.

jill furman

We had brought our puppy tank, at age 12 weeks to get a microchip, we were told if we bring him in on a...

worst vet ever

I recently adopted a dog that was in poor physical condition - he was in a shelter for some time, and was scheduled for euthanasia. My boyfriend and i brought him into a Petsmart/Banfield Clinic because they could see him before our normal vet could. Basically, the vet was this woman who seemed like she just tripped and fell into this career and wasn't sure what to do now. She wasn't helpful or forthcoming with info. She didn't seem to want to answer our questions (or she didn't know the answers), her attitude was like "uh..." We concerned about ringworm because his fur was falling out in places so she took a skin sample and said we'd get the results in about 10 days. In the meantime she gave us some wipes for his skin. She hardly did much of anything and the visit cost more than $200. After about 8 or 9 days they still ddin't have the results and the wipes didn't seem to do much. We then took him to our regular vet, and he told us the wipes they gave us was useless - and for what we paid for them (2 bottles at that - why sell us so many?!) we could have just paid for some generic oral antibiotic (which we did ) which started clearing up the fungal infection immediately. His skin looks %100 better. Why didn't the vet at banfield simply prescribe the pills in the first place? The other vet wasn't too concerned about getting any test results in before giving him the medicine - he said it appeared to be ringworm and better give him these. But really the worst part of the whole experience was that the vetnurse, or vet tech or whatever they have there, , actually seemed more knowledgable and helpful than the vet! the vet seemed like she was in a daze or just really didn't give a ### about being there and doing her job. It was like a ghost came into the room and didn't know who or where she was, but somehow figured out she was supposed to be examing this dog.
we very much regret wasting our time and money there.

• Ph
    phorse Jan 26, 2010

Antibiotics are not effective against a fungus infection and ringworm takes thirty days to clear itself up, so the antibiotics probably did not do a thing either, so you should be just as peeved at the second vet. In fact, I hope that you post a complaint on his/ her website since he/she was just as bad as the first one.

• Lu
    Lucia520 Dec 14, 2013

The people that work at this Banfield Hospital stink!! They do not know how you do their job nor do they care!! I called for them to fax a perscription in for my dog who has seizures. She was already getting this medicine for almost a year, just ran out of refills. So I call very early one day, they were supposed to fax it in at 9:00am... By 5pm it STILL was not there. Then by 7pm it still was not there!! I called back & they said oh she is going to fax it right away. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE HOURS Ago!! Anyways a short version: they finally faxed it to the WRONG PLACE!! & I told them 2 times where to send it & the phone # but still couldn't... My dog had to miss a night pill & a morning pill!! Which is extremely bad for the dog!! It didn't get faxed over till the NEXT day around 1pm!! These people suck & should be fired!! They don't care & are extremely rude!! Don't take your pet to them if you love your pet!!

termination of job!

I was employed by banfield when the hospital first opened up in feb. Of 2007 as a part time worker from 3pm...

unprofessional!

Pet was evaluated and diagnosed as having cysts or treatable tumor. Immediately after surgery, Dr stated...

this place is a scam!!!

Banfield is the worst place you can take your pet. My dog was fine before I began taking him to Banfield. One...

over vaccinating our pets

Petsmart Pet Hotel requires that pets be vaccinated for bordatella every 6 months when the vaccine clearly explains that it's viable for 12 months. I asked them why they were requireing me to over vaccinate my dog and their excuse was the vaccine didn't last 12months.
If the vaccine says 12 months and all the other facilities will take my dog....then why are they refusing to board my dog unless he has this vaccine every 6 months. $$$$$???? All about $$$$$$

• Je
    Jessica Mar 17, 2008

UC Davis recommends that the Kennel Cough Vaccine (bordatella) be given every 6 months because that's how long it's effective lasts.

• Sh
    Shelby Jun 09, 2008

The PetsMart PetHotel does not require you to re-vaccinate your dog every 6 months...we require you to get your dog a booster for the Bortadella vaccine, which protects your dog against Kennel cough. It's very similar to giving a child a booster shot for the MMR vaccine. Kennel cough can be very mild... like the common cold for humans. But left untreated, kennel cough can be deadly... so why not take the advice of people who make caring for dogs their living? You can get the booster at any vet...PetsMart does not offer any form of vaccine or other injectable, so PetsMart will make no money off of the booster shot. It is simply for your dog's protection.

Shelby
    PetsMart PetsHotel Manager-Houston, TX

• Ka
    Katie Jul 29, 2008

I was taking my dog to PetsMart PetHotel in East Hanover, NJ and my dog was vaccinated with Bortadella four months prior. During one of their many kennel cough outbreaks, with the vaccination four months prior, he got kennel cough. The staff did not tell me of the outbreak or warn me and there have been several outbreaks since. Then when I tried to make appt recently, they informed me he needed another shot, becuase it was 7 months since his last. I have spoken to several vets who think the 6 month vaccination is too much and will not do it. I told them I would provide a note from my vet and they told me no. They also acknowledged that there are no guarentees with the shot (which is obvious since my dog was vaccinated and contracted kennel cough in their East Hanover, NJ facility).

My conclusion is they don't care about the health of the dogs and they continue to have outbreaks of kennel cough even with their strict policy. They need obviously change their managment of the facility - more circulation, watch for signs of outbreaks, warn customers when they do have an outbreak, etc. I would say to anyone considering this PetsMart PetHotel in East Hanover, NJ to think twice. They have a strict policy that does not work and an environment full of sick dogs, which will just cost you more in vets bills and be a a huge nuisance and risk to your dogs health.

scam and abuse!

Last month I brought my cat in to have her teeth cleaned, with they did not to. So this month I took her back and they cleaned her teeth. Went I went to pick her up I got into a long conversation with the vet. I left not paying,they called the next day and I was not home , they spoke to my husband and he informed them I would be in to pay, this was Friday. I could not get in till Sat. and was informed when I arrived they had turned me over to collections. The problem is that I have been a client of theirs for over ten years and have never failed to pay them even when my bill ran $1000.00 . It is not like they have on information on me, they have a computer full. I am very upset about this. Since it is Sat. I can not get a hold of any one to help with this problem.

do not let banfield perform surgery!

Our beloved pit bull Bibi had a torn ACL in her left hind leg and we trusted the vet at Banfield completely. They signed us up for the highest "wellness plan" so we could afford the surgery it would take (which it actually didn't - we spent over $2,000 which is about the same as anywhere else) and drove all over the city to have a "special" Banfield vet do her surgery. Two weeks after her surgery, Bibi was limping again. We took her back to Banfield who then told us that we didn't take good enough care of her post-surgery and that she had torn her ACL again. Since we couldn't afford to have another surgery right away, I did more research and decided to consult a private specialist. A very very long story short, the specialist discovered from new x-rays that the original ACL repair was done "differently" than he had ever seen it done before. He consulted some of his colleagues who agreed that the surgery was done in a unusual manner, which contributed to its failure. And the whole time we thought we had caused her surgery to fail. Anger doesn't even describe the feeling. We can't cancel our wellness plan (of course) nor can we switch back to her previous less expensive plan without paying a penalty equal to how much money they would lose if we did.

Banfield is a corporate business. Do you really want to wait until your beloved pet is in dire need to find out how much they really don't care...

• Ra
    rachel614 Nov 21, 2009

To be quite honest with you, if a pet is not % healthy, he/she can't be signed up on a plan. With a torn ACL, a vet can not sign you and your pet up on a plan to simply save you money. They aren't even allowed to do that.

Plus, just because one vet does a procedure a certain way does not mean that the procedure was done wrong. One vet can do it one way, and another another way. Of course vets are going to critique other vets. They want you to be strictly their client.

• Ph
    phorse Jan 26, 2010

I am a veterinarian and honestly cannot figure out how a specialist could tell how the surgery was performed by looking at an x-ray. ACL is surgery of soft tissue in the knee so undetectable by x-ray. Honestly, veterinarians criticizing other veterinarians without discussing the case isjust unprofessional. Makes my blood boil.

damaged my healthy dog!

I took my healthy 16 pound min. Schnauzer to pets mart to get her vaccines, and the staff administered 5...

poor clinical judegment!

We purchased a puppy on 12-21-07 and within 24 hours we noticed that she was having some problems with...

overcharges and selling medication we don't need!

After Taking My dog there for what turned out to be only a pulled muscle, we weren't seen by the normal...

angry and feeling ripped off!

I need to give you a little history first if you don't mind and I'm sorry, but it's a tad...

harassment of employee

I was an employee with your Manchester, Missouri location up until a couple weeks ago. One of the...

refusal to cancel wellness plan!

I signed up for Banfield Pet Hosptial's Wellness Plan for my Australian Shepherd. We signed on in December 06. In January 07 my dog was diagnosed with cancer and she died in February 07. I emailed Banfield to cancel my policy since my dog was now dead and the program no longer needed. They instructed me to go to my local hospital to cancel. I did that and they refused! Incredible. Even though my dog was dead, I still have to pay for this Wellness Plan. I am going to take them to small claims court next month but I sure wish there was a class action suit to join. These people have no ethics at all. If you have similar experiences with Banfield or know of a class action suit, please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com. and stay away from Banfield!

• Ri
    RINN Jun 01, 2011

This is actually the fault of the owner and not the company that makes the product. It is WIDELY known that Australian Shepherds have drug sensitivity issues when it comes to certain medications. Ivermectin is one of those drugs. If you had performed the MDR1 test on your dog, you would have known about this. If the owners are not going to test their dogs for drug sensitivity they should NEVER allow their dogs to ingest ivermectin.

Sorry this happened but your dog shouldn't have been where they can get a hold of a drug regardless and this is not the fault of the manufacturer but the fault of the owner.

outrageous charges

I was just searching Banfield online when I came across these complaints. Suddenly, I feel very validated in what I had already been thinking about the company, and now am wondering how I can cancel my existing plan.

I am young, a first time pet owner, and don't have many friends who are pet owners. I have a lab/boxer mix named Mac and love her to pieces. Since Mac is my first pet, when I first got her I really didn't know how to find a good vet so I did what I thought was smart and went to the Petsmart down the road and asked if they could recommend a few vets in the area. At that point I thought Banfield was for emergencies. They recommended Banfield and their Wellness plan seemed ideal since I am on a fixed income. At first everything with them was fine, I appreciated their guidance as everything was new to me. However, soon they started making me feel like I wasn't a good pet owner. Mac is just a year old and is a large dog with lots of energy. They aren't very good at handling her, yet always seem to make it my fault. They charge exuberant fees for handling her every time I go in. I asked if I could just help because I use a technique to make her stand that I learned through obedience class they refused and often sedate her, also another charge. They made it seem that edation is rather normal with larger dogs. It seemed weird to me that a "vet" couldn't handle dog - isn't that their job?

I have also ran into problems with trying to schedule her regular check ups . Once I was told that if I didn't have any concerns we could just skip it. I was taken aback by this and said that since everything seemed normal I guess that would be okay. But after I got off the phone I thought it was very strange and all of their paperwork that I was given stresses the importance of these check ups for prevention. So I called back and insisted that since I was paying every month for it anyway I would like to schedule the appointment and the same nurse sighed and explained they were very busy, I insisted anyway and took Mac in.

I guess all of this should have been enough for me to know they do not provide quality care but I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Just last month Mac became very ill. She refused to bend forward, lay down, play, eat or drink. I waited a day to see if she would improve and when she didn't I became very concerned. I was out of town so I cut my trip short to take Mac to Banfield. Mac and I waited for quite awhile to see a nurse and I explained what was going on. It was obvious that Mac was under duress as she was falling asleep sitting up but refused to lay down and shedding profusely. I had spent most of the night up with her and was stressed out myself. It was the end of the month and I knew my money was tight. I had let them know this up front, too. After the doctor saw Mac he suggested xrays and said he would have the nurse come in with an estimate for me as I was worried about the money. The nurse came back with an estimate close to $700. I nearly died, I immediately began crying because I love Mac and she was so miserable but I didn't have anything close to $700. There were several charges on the estimate that seemed ridiculous - like a handling fee for every xray of like $30. I asked if they knew what was wrong with her - they had no clue. I asked if they had any kind of payment plan - absolutely not. I said I didn't understand that since they have been deducting money from my account every month for over a year. But I was informed they do not work that way. They made me feel bad that I was even thinking about not having the xrays done - but what they didn't seem to grasp was that I didn't have the money. I asked if they knew of somewhere else I could take Mac that would work with me. They didn't think it was likely. I left there feeling horrible and like the worst person. I looked online and found the VCA. I called them and they were willing to work with me aso I took Mac there. They were wonderful with her. They let me help and calmed me down. I left there with having everything done that was on Banfield estimate but having only paid $200. Mac was back to normal within a week. I don't understand how there can be that much of a difference in price.

I wish I would have found this site before signing up for Banfield.

• Tr
    Tracie Denton Feb 27, 2008

I agree and am sorry you had to pay their exhorbitant fees. They charge me a $60 consultation fee every time my dog goes in for anything - if she hasn't been seen in the last 6 mohths. So, I took my dogs in for teeth cleaning - they added $60 consultation fee and I did not even get a consultation! I said, who is the vet consulting with? Their answer: The Dog.

I would not recommend Banfield to ANYBODY!!! Ask for referrals from a local breeder or a friend with an animal before you go get suckered into this place.

• Ir
    Irene Apr 19, 2008

My regular vet was out of Frontline, for flea control. I was forced to look elsewhere and I'm really annoyed with myself for not shopping around. Their charge for this product is tantamount to highway robbery. I was very surprised by how much they were charging, commented on it a couple of times and said I thought this was a cheaper product. The counter staff assured me this was one of the most expensive flea control serums. As I was sort of over a barrel, I took what they had. I've since checked prices online and with my regular vet, again, to make sure I'm not insane. Turns out I'm not insane.

• De
    Debbie Scott Aug 09, 2008

You can get a refund on wellness plan. Did it yesterday. Had confuntation with vet and said hes through couldn't please me so I canceled my plan no problem. Also my sister canceled hers to and took a while to get refund but got one. Just be presistent.

• Uf
    ufgator Sep 16, 2009

A.) WELLNESS PLAN (not insurance)- read the contract, it is for WELL pets. It is a way to not go in for preventive care and spend 300 dollars all at once. Also, it gives you the nice bonuses of a free office visit any time and a percentage discount depending on your level. If you are getting your preventive care and going in for visits, it has already paid for itself. You should read the contracts that you sign
    B.) Just because someone is a vet or a technician does not mean that they are able to control big strong dogs that fight back. I weigh 100 pounds soaking wet, it is not easy. At all. Owners do not make it any easier by not training their pets. If you are the only one that can restrain her, she is not trained. Further, it is not safe for the staff or the pet if the pet is thrashing around like crazy. If they are recomending sedation then it is for your protection as well. What happens when your pet bites and injures someone or in going crazy hits its head on a counter and needs emergency care? Its not the vet's fault but you will sure as hell try to make them treat for free.
    C.) As a corporation, Banfield is very vulnerable. Even if you say that you don't have a lot of money to spend, what does that mean? To some people that means they have twenty bucks in their pocket for the next week, to others it means anything over a thousand and I'm out (you think I'm exaggerating, but I once gave a client who was "tight" on money an 800 estimate and they said Oh is that all? I though it would be at least 1500). So, to protect themselves and to give your pet the best possible care, they give you a treatment plan for what their number one option would be. All you have to do is say no or pare it down from there. The whole point is that they don't want you coming back later and saying "Well, if you had told me I should do that then I would have" and now they have a lawsuit on their hands. Trust me. It is for these reasons that I left Banfield. As much as I loved it, it was clients like this that made me miserable. We as veterinarians spend so much time researching and continuing our educations just for someone to freak out about a 35 dollar office visit.

poor service!

We bought a puppy at the end of January, Roman. From the onset, he had respiratory problems and we took him to Banfield. They sold us on their Health Care Plan the first day we took Roman in to be checked under the premise that we had saved money the FIRST day and more than paid for the plan for the year. Also, we were told that we would receive discounts on meds and other services for the coming year if we signed up for the plan so we did. Our puppy died within the month in his sleep! We did not try to come back on Banfield for any negligence. They called to confirm his next appointment the following week and we told them he had died. About a month after, we got a bill in the mail for the balance of the health care plan. I called and talked to the office manager and she acted as if they did not know Roman had died and said the girl I spoke to did not convey the information. So, I relayed the entire story to her. She said she would take care of it. Now, I have a call today from a collection agency asking for over 200.00 to settle this issue. We have already paid Banfield a large amount of money for Roman's health care and were told that if he died the plan could be canceled. They have been completely uncooperative and mis-leading. Our dog passed (possibly due to questionable vet care) and we did not pursue it at all. Now they are trying to pursue us for a policy that was sold to us under wrong pretense and we did cancel the policy yet they are still trying to pursue us. The collection agency today told me that I had not canceled this and it auto-renewed for another year. This is ridiculous. Our dog passed in the first month, they did not cancel this, acted like they did not receive the phone call from me, repeatedly.

Beware people!

• Pa
    Paul Fitzgerald May 26, 2011

In fact, they specifically told me when I called after our dog died that we cannot cancel the wellness plan. They are making us pay for an additional three months because (as best I could decipher what the snotty rep was saying) the so-called "discount" on the care he got before he died somehow counts against us and extends our liability. Then they told us it's an annual lump sum pre-payment for services (NOT an ongoing "plan") that is just spread out on a monthly plan for our convenience. The two explanations don't gibe and neither seems fair to a pet owner who no longer has any need for vet services, discounted or otherwise. I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere but when the store clerks sign you up they sure don't tell you you'll be financing a dead pet's non-care on the installment plan. I'm afraid that even if you got the name of the person who said they could cancel it, the company would deny your request anyway. I now find out that this is a frequent complaint about these "wellness plans" and has made it into David Lazarus's consumer column. Good luck getting any satisfaction. Let us know if you hear of any class action cases we can join. Meanwhile I'll be watching my bank account like a hawk to see if they really cancel it three months from now as promised.

• Do
    Dorcella Jun 07, 2011

I paid for everything for a dog that I was giving to my boyfriends niece (over $300 paid in full for "ALL" shots, except the distemperment) as a gift and I had her put on the account on my account, because Banfield does not transfer accounts as I was told by Jessica (corporate office) in their accounts department and by Amika (Newport News, VA store). I replied, "If I opened an account and paid all this money, then my boyfriends niece would have to start account and pay again". I felt this is a rip off and this is how Banfield makes their money, which is not right. When my boyfriends niece took the the dog to get information on the dogs shots in order to pay her pet fee at her apartment, she was told my Amy and the Veterinarian (Newport News, VA) that she could not get any information. I could not figure out why, when "EVERTHING" was paid and up to date. This caused her to take the dog to another veterinarian to get shots, the dog already had at the cost of $150. I then went back to the store where I started the account and they told me to call their corporate office to let them know. When I called the corporate office, Jessica stated "I do not know why they told you to call the corporate office". I thought when you have a problem that is who you are supposed to call to get better information. I still have not found out why she was refused information from either of the these people and I am now waiting for the Manager Heather (Newport News, VA store) to call me back.

• Banfield Pet Hospital Jun 10, 2011

Dorcella,
    I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with this plan. I hope you have since been able to resolve this issue, but please don't hesitate to reach out to our Wellness Plan Relations team to address the situation if you are still having trouble. The number is 866-649-2716. Thank you for your feedback and, again, sorry for the inconvenience.

• Kh
    khale Jun 11, 2011

Go to a "real" vet, stay away from Petco/Petsmarts side services (ie: vets, grooming, training, boarding), useless!!

wellness plan rip off!

I am thoroughly disgusted with Banfield Pet Hospital and their so-called money saving Wellness Plans. First...

bad business ethics!

I use to work for Banfield as a Hospital Director, so I know all about how they run their practices. I have a...

poor service!

First off, let me tell you that I work at petsmart and am very familiar with Banfield. I have seen first hand how animals are treated by that doctor. A few weeks ago, i witnessed a HORRIBLE event! A little basset puppy had just had shots from Dr. Laura at Banfield in killeen texas. It didn't even make it to the front door and it was vomiting uncontrollably. Probably a reaction to the shots, which is not the doctors fault. A petsmart employee confronted Doctor Laura and her techs about it(they happened to be in a meeting). Everyone seemed to agree that was a very serious reaction. Doctor Laura told the employee to tell the customer to take the dog elsewhere to be seen. That is NOT how a vet who cares about her customers reacts to something like that! In my opinion it was her responsibility to take care of the needs of one of her clients. On another occasion a puppy with Parvo came in to see her. I'm not sure if the puppy was too far gone to save, but I saw the pet parents walk out of the exam room crying. Then the staff vacated the room, and left the puppy in that room alone to die. When a tech finally went in, she came back out with the puppies remains in a plastic bag, with a smirk on her face and i saw her chuckle....In FRONT of the pet parents! To me, this is not how a vet's office should be run, and I really hope you think twice about visiting Killeens Banfield.

If you need anymore convincing of Banfield type of service visit http://banfieldsucks.net/

4 months after i had written that, one of the doctors customers brought that to her attention. The doctor called her cooperate office, and my cooperate office trying to get me fired a week after returning from maturity leave. I was fired. The basis for my termination was I broke a confidentiality agreement. I gave information to the public that they would not otherwise have access to if i wasnt an employee. That is not the case, because the incidents that happened were during business hours, in front of customers. Not to mention you can bet the victimized customers told people about it. I was wrongfully fired because Doctor Laura did not want anyone to know the things she had done.

• Ab
    ABC Jan 27, 2008

You are such a dumb b****. You got fired because you are slandering a good practice. You think you know it all, but hell you were only a groomer and quite frankly had your back to us the whole time you worked. What i also dont understand is how you were on maternity leave, but then talk about how this incident happened. WHERE YOU THERE???? or is this some second had BS someone is telling you. I remember you almost blinding a dog because you stabbed its eye out with sisscors, OH and who was there to clean up your mess... Dr. Laura. I remember, because unlike you I was actually at he event when it happend. So here are some facts for you. During business hours we do not have meetings, we are way to busy, second we would NEVER turn down a dog. By the way we got you booted of yahoo local and we will get you booted of here. And going back to my first statement, you using your real name and picture is another reason you were so easy to identify and fire. LOL we are still laughing at you stupidity.

• Do
    Doctor Laura Dec 24, 2008

Doctor Laura is lesbo and tried to finger little girls in waiting room stay away!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices