Avis Car Rentalovercharging credit card

While on holiday in New York I rented a car for 2 weeks at $930 a week. As usual they wanted my credit card details and they blocked off around $1800. I returned it and fly back to Cyprus where I live. Then when I checked my account I found I'd been charged $2, 795! I managed to get in touch with the lady who rented the car and she said it was a mistake and they'd charged for 3 weeks instead of 2. but a month lated they have still not refunded the money and I can't seem to get in contact with them any more. I queried the sum with my credit card company but they aren't interested. It seems once they get your card details car hire firms just charge whatever they want.