ATT YP-ConnectMisleading sales tactics

Y Review updated:

Whatch out for the deceptive sales tactics from the att reps. I was not the only person I know who was told by their lying sales people that yp connect is not a pay-per-click internet advertising program. It is. Bottomline, their sketchy sales reps will tell you anything you want to hear in order to sign up. Beware!!!

• Da
    David N. Cleary Feb 04, 2021

Called me up saying I had a contract with them. I don't, and that I owe them $500 for last year.

• Ro
    Ronnie Paramore Jan 07, 2016

Tampering with the internet service, I pay for my internet no-one should be interfering with it. Need a full scale investigation about this matter. FCC.

• Ro
    Ronnie Paramore Jan 07, 2016

Att is doing things that are unethical towards customers, the fcc should shut them down.

• Yp
    YP Advertising Oct 15, 2015

Hi Fred! We are so sorry to hear of a negative experience with YP; we sincerely care about our customers and will be contacting you shortly. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you have any additional questions or concerns. Kindest Regards, YP

• Fr
    fredc80 Oct 08, 2015

My name is Fred Fanning and I am the owner of an insurance agency called The Cambridge Group located in Denver, Colorado. Several Years ago, I signed a contract of over $900.00 per month to advertise with Yp connect program. After approximately 10 months into the program complained to the YP sales representative that nearly half of the leads were out of my sales area. The sales rep said she would cancel my contract and would provide me with a number of free leads if I would sign another one year contract. The bottom line is not only did I not receive any free leads but the leads list for 2015 comprised of 199 leads of which 99 were out of my area and mostly in other states. Most of the leads supplied by Yp claimed to have not contacted Yp. I have been threatened with a lawsuit by Yp for not fulfilling my contract. I have demanded all of my money back from YP. All statements I've made can be verified. For any additional details please feel free to call me at 303.777.0313.

• Yp
    YP Connect Scams Mar 05, 2013

I signed up with "YP Connect" and was promised 25 phone calls per month. Its been 3 weeks and I've received 1 phone call. My ads have not been displaying on Google or Bing. How can I receive any calls when the ad does not show? I can't! This is a PPC campaign period. The sales reps promised me 25 calls per month and promised me a percentage refund each month if I received less. I asked the sales rep why I'm not receiving any calls and he said "It takes a couple months to ramp up". I run my own very successful google adwords campaign independant of YP Connect. There is no "ramp up time" for a PPC campaign. The sales reps at YP connect are scammers, liars and cheats.

If you want to join a class action lawsuit, please email me at [email protected]

YP Connect is a scam and the sales reps engage in unfair trade practices.

• Su
    SUNNY30096 Sep 21, 2012

YP Connect reps have absolutely NO IDEA what they are doing. They started a PPC program that directly competed with another program we were already running which basically meant we were competing against ourselves and drove the cost up for both programs. They also targeted the ads nationally and not in the local service area that we cover. These were all problems but the real problem was the lack of results the program delivered. With an investment of over $4, 000 per month, we got very few phone calls (most of whom where sales people trying to sell us their services) and the clicks were so few to even hit the radar. They agreed the response rate was "not typical of their performance" and gave a credit, but would not release the contract. Even at the reduced rate, the program is not producing what it should. DO NOT ADVERTISE WITH THEM. DO NOT TRUST THEM. STAY AWAY - STAY VERY FAR AWAY!

• Th
    thelocksmith66 Jul 03, 2012

pathetic attempt at promoting a product that no sales rep was prepared for nor educated on the product well enough to sell it.
    YP Connect. I have been in business for 27 years, I own and operate Action Locksmith Inc in Michigan. I have been advertising with AT&T for approximately 23 years. I will admit, while advertising was book only, AT&T did well but, fiercely kept competition at bay. When other publications started pushing back with amazing rates, AT&T snubbed their nose and continued to increase advertising cost. The marketing group of AT&T Yellow Pages books were so crafty they continually came out with "new" products (ad styles and placements) by placing the proverbial carrot in front of our faces...In other words, dollars spent on the ad translated in placement in the book over seniority or size of ad. Pure greed. I became friends with every sales rep I had (they got changed annually so a bond could not be made and they would not feel "sorry" for up selling you) I usually never had the same rep for two years. Reps would drive up in the latest autos out and the sharpest clothing money could buy. Why? They were making $60K in the 90's some over $100K from commission on up-selling the ad. If they could up-sell you the following year they made more commission. As time went on the marketing team had to come up with fresh ideas on how to create a product that they could sell for more and how to show the advertisers why the increase in cost. It was a captured market that was practically impenetrable. "there will only be two of these ads per heading". "That's why it cost $1400.00 per month". This tactic became a joke. Then time went by and we get the "hey great news, we now have three of these ads per heading". Then following years, " great news! The books (were North Woodward, North Oakland and I believe one other for my areas of service). Were splitting the books up. Now you will be able to fine tune your targeted areas. Bull sh.t! Now we will be paying for areas that we need to service because you divided main high end market areas that you know we need. You also created books that contain areas we really need, yet incorporated areas that we don't service. So, what this means is that if you want to get customers from location A & B (that was together before) you will have to pay for two zones. But, customers in A also encompasses areas that you don't want/or service. Now your customer radius has gone beyond what would be a profitable service call. Bottom line, your "forced" to pay extra to continue to get the same coverage as two to three books used to and pay for five for the same and get way more out of your normal service areas.
    Now comes the internet advertising, came in slow and poorly advertised that it was coming for the public to use. I was confused and bamboozled by the reps adaptation of ill pretend to know what I'm talking about and just sell it. I took it hook, line, and sinker. Again the craftiness of the marketing crew shone through. Dollars equaled ad placement. Pay per clicks were drawn from your bank. AT&T reps had programs and a specific dollar amount was set aside for your pay per clicks. I didn't know this at the time and didn't know how it all worked. Nor did the rep. I told her that I wanted to be number one when a person would do a search for a Locksmith. She told me that it works on a "point" system. You need points to get higher on the page. "points" is another word for "dollars". The more points you have the more money you spend. It gets better. One year my rep tells me, " A new product is out and you can get it, cost 90 "points" per month. It is a real cool icon that will be placed in your ad and when a customer clicks on it they will hear your message". "One catch, it is available in the South but not here yet..Don't worry, you can still pay for it to get the extra "points" so you can stay on top but it wont actually be working. When it comes to Michigan we will let you know". Sign me up!
    I will continue my post soon. Questions please send to actionlocksmithinc.com or [email protected] There is much more.

Jimania Nov 18, 2011

MY OPINION, is that the salespeople on here are misleading people on several points. I discussed "Early Up", and sales reps have no real idea of what goes on in management, they have never been in a managers "board out" meeting, or seen what I've seen. Management views delayed start dates as months of "lost revenue". The ramifications of "Early Up" are the opposite of "Early Up Exception" NOTE the word EXCEPTION, which infers that normally there is no delay on billing. YES, an early up exception exists but it is not automatic and requires (or did) approval of a more senior manager.

As for the SEO comments, there is no need to "change a site" every time an algorithm changes. Additionally, a LOT of SEO work is done off-page. Good SEO companies do not fear algorithm changes. Again, salespeople are talking about something they don't understand (SEO). Strategic SEO work, with white-hat tactics, is impossible to beat. And I assure you that the YP fulfillment group is measured on how much work they do in a short amount of time. SEO companies will take the necessary time to do thorough research, create custom solutions and truly service the client. The YP environment stifles creativity in order to affect process consistency (think of a centralized from of government).

The bottom line push has been "sell the biggest program you can, and get the billing started as soon as possible". It's safe to say that as a general rule, YP salespeople have never owned or managed a business and don't really understand the numbers. Professional internet marketing companies run circles around YP advertising. I challenge the YP salespeople to find a professional internet marketing company with even half as many bad reviews as are posted here about YP programs, and then post the name of the company.

• Al
    Allied Nov 17, 2011

As everyone else I have the same issues with YP-connect. Stupid me! I started a program 2 years ago. 1st year was full of complaints of not being effective AT ALL! I was constantly on the phone trying to get it working better. It got alittle better but never enough to pay for the cost associated. Come renewal I was determined I would NOT re-up! The salesman came in 4 times two of them with an internet specialist (right!). They said I needed to expand my budget for it to work like it needs to be. So stupid me RE-UPED for more money only to get the same sorry service. About 1 month ago a different salesman came in with the same ole story. He guarenteed better resutls. So I said fine give me an out in 3 months if it does not perform and I will re-up. The answer was NO! If they will not let you out after 3 months if its not working it only tells me ONE thing. They are NOT confident in their produst so you DEFINTELY should NOT be either! Spend you marketing money elsewhere you will not be sorry!

• Da
    David G. Aug 04, 2011

Att is misleading people on their new promotiion for DSL. They sell it to them and don't tell them all the charges. Such as connecting fee. They selling a 14.99 plan went to 24.99 that is OK but when I got my first bill it wasa 46.99. They charge regualar price for two months then say there will be no charge next two months. Well I wish everyone would pay me in advance. Att is a crook and I will do my part I agreed to but I know they won't. People need to boycott Att. And if we get info to all our facebook freinds it can help others not to be taken advantaged of. I'm telling everyone I can what theif ATT is. They need to be sued for false advertisement I may look into that.

• De
    dermdoc Jul 08, 2011

I have had the same experience with ATT YPConnect. I am a physician in Orange County, CA and need to attract patients who live near my practice. I have 800 numbers associated with it to show how many calls I get and the few calls I get a week are usually from area codes outside my county. These calls last less than 1 minute and are therefore not good leads.

• Tr
    TroyE Jun 09, 2011

I came back to report my experience with At&t advertising for which I know there are many skeptical people as I. Well, I got all my online advertising active with At&t and I am so happy I re ordered my contract because the phones instantly started to ring, Whew! that was a close one. Honestly, skeptical people need to realize that there is true value to their services and allow me to be convincing of that since I have experienced how business is without At&t services. The biggest surprise was that the Yellow page book that came out recently has created sales and additional phone calls. I quit advertising in the yellow page books for a few years due to the activity from the internet. It is a good value for any company because there are fewer competitors. Troy Eckstein

Charlie S May 23, 2011

I recently sold my business. I had ypconnect search. It worked well for us but you have to manage it. They give you access to the ypconnect traffic system that shows you traffic numbers, clicks, phone calls and various key words and you have access to this data at all times. I also thought I was not getting anything until i figured out how to access the ypconnect reports that showed us where calls were coming from. Would of never known I did not answer the phones my staff did so I had no idea where all the calls came from.

• Tr
    TroyE May 10, 2011

My name is Troy Eckstein owner of Anew Concepts Inc.in Orange county California .I canceled my contract over a year ago with At&t . I too was also skeptical of the strength and value of their services. I was a customer of At&t for six years when I decided to end our advertising relationship. When the advertising ended I immediately notice a huge drop off in my phone calls, the phones just did not ring. Initially I ignored the truth of the value of At&t services until I could not take the loses anymore, I signed another contract with At&t and doubled my budget with them in March 2011. I am still waiting for my advertising to go live but quality takes time. I have my fingers crossed. I know everyone has individual experiences and not to discount their complaints but this is my experience.

• Th
    thechad Apr 29, 2011

I am a current sale rep for AT&T. I have sold and fulfilled these products. The other sale rep is right. The person talking about an Early Up Exception is wrong. An EUE is to delay the start of a internet program to start with the print billing. This is so you are NOT locked into a 13+ month contract. We do set up part of the program to be found in the organic area of the search engines as well as a pay per click portion. There is a split where consumers click from so if you are not in both you are missing out. The bigger scam of internet marketing is the companies that guarantee placement on the search engine. Google changed their algorithm or formula for placement 367 times last year. Do you really think these search engine optimization companies are changing your site that often? Now I admit you can get good and bad sales reps with us. I take pride in makeing sure the program is done right to the end insted of worrying about when the commisions are going to hit my paycheck. That being said there are no guarantees in advertising you have to put it out there where your potential customers are looking and hope they call.

• Ne
    Neil Dille Apr 25, 2011

Wow all these complaints sound exactly like my story. I signed a contract with a sales person from YPConnect. What a mess, I signed this contract in November 2010. They still do not have the advertising correct and they are charging me thousands of dollars each month. I stopped my credit card and tried to get the bank to stop paying them. The bank told me I had to have another advertising company doing the same business to write a letter against YPConnect. It is hard to believe the people at any bank would want that or expect any company to open themselves up for a law suit from AT&T. The bank refused to help me and now I am stuck. If I don't pay the bank they charge me interest every month. AT&T will not stop my campaign, I have written letters starting in October stating they are not doing what we agreed to. I have hired an attorney, they have sent a demand letter to the bank, credit card company and AT&T. I want my money back. They have not to this day supplied what they guaranteed. If I as a business owner do not give my customers 100% satisfaction I will gladly refund there money and I do not on purpose defraud people or business's like AT&T is doing. They are a ripoff and should be run out of business. With people like myself and the rest of the people on this sight we will hurt them. I belong to quite a few associations and I bad mouth them at every opportunity. Stealing from your customers will catch you. I hope everybody keeps this sight alive and we win.

maximus primus7 Mar 18, 2011

I am so sorry to hear about your negative experience. In all types of business there is always room for improvement. Over the past 100 years, we continue to provide world class advertising services to small to mid size company across the country. I would be more than happy to review your experience and see how we can remedy the situation. I can make this offer because we have 1000's of business owners using our services and are very satisfied with their results and i am confident we can do the same for you. Jiminia, i am not sure how long ago you worked for our company but that is not the purpose of the early up exception. Good luck to all you business owners [protected]

• Ad
    ADM07 Mar 07, 2011

I agree with these comments also. As a small business owner, I had to cancel our checking card, which the very overly priced service was being deducted from on a monthly basis. The thousands of dollars is now in collections and my business has just recovered from the financial impact the YPconnect product had.

• Ia
    IAB Mar 05, 2011

I'm another victim of Yellow Pages / AT&T Scam and have been fighting with them to cancel my contract and refund money. I filed a complaint with BBB and they finally agreed to cancel my contract but refused to refund me the money I paid and want me to pay for a couple of months of service. I do not feel that it is in any way fair that I should be asked to pay for services that were misrepresente. Yellowpages employs predatory sales people whose only interest in to sell contracts without any regard for the anguish that they cause when they cannot deliver on promises made. I decided to use AT&T because I trusted the brand behind the product. I am extremely frustrated by the treatment that I have received and hoping that by spreading the word they cannot perpetrate the same lies against other honest, hard-working small business owners.

• By
    By The Sea Guests, LLC Mar 04, 2011

I have been unable to contact the sales person and his sales manager to speak to them regarding my YP connection. I am not getting the clicks that I was promised, and am canceling my contract with them, and asking for a refund for the charges that they had promised to credit me for their poor performance, and non compliance regarding their contract. I have a B & B in Dennis Port, MA, and rely heavily to internet advertising, and visibility, which I have not received.

• Br
    BradleyB Feb 22, 2011

My name is Bradley W. Branscome, Owner of Branscome Technologies LLC in VA.. I am so glad im not the only person/company "screwed" by AT&T YP connect. I was very hesitant when I was being pitched this $1, 200.00 a month advertising solution. I was assured by DONNA HICKSON from the Hampton Roads office that I was going to get amazing exposure, that I should get ready to hire 5 more employees. She fed me line about how much money all of her clients were making from this program. Still hesitant she had ROB ALSTON the district sales manager come and meet with me and did he sure sell me. "We are gonna be working with you hand to hand every step of the way" I was assured, I'd be a fool not to get on board with this business changing program. So I signed! Well I was told there was going to be a little "RAMP UP" period where they (AT&T) would be doing everything they could to assure I was getting my 240 clicks per month! TWO MONTHS PASS and I havent received ONE phone call from the program or the "SALES PEOPLE" if that what you want to call them! However $2, 500.00 had been deducted from my account!!! I didn't even know that my program had started yet I haden't heard from anyone in the web-site department checking to see if my info was right or if there were any additions i'd like to make to my $1, 200.00 a month program. I did some searches of my own on Google, Bing & Yahoo and guess what? I couldnt find any mention of my company anywhere!!! I called ROB ALSTON several time with no response until 3 days later I get my first call in 2 1/2 months & $2, 500.00 later from a AT&T web site Technion. (this is where it gets good) He informs me that my listing wasen't even in the correct geographical area, I was being listed in a city (3 HOURS) away!!! and most of the key search words/phrases they were using were all wrong! The web site tech made some changes and now i was supposedly all ready to go. BUT WAIT A SECOND, I JUST SPENT $2, 500.00 ON NOTHING!!! I immediately call ROB ALSTON 3 times and practically had to cuss-out his voicemail to get a phone call back. I demanded to be released from this sorry [censor] excuse of a advertising program. I awaited some sort of reply from ROB ALSTON and two weeks later I figured I should call him. By this point (luckly) my expiration date on the credit card they were processing had changed and I wasn't about to give them my updated card info. So noe I start to get call from the finance department then the collections department and all along no word from ROB ALSTON. So I decided to go over ROB ALSTONS head to his boss DEDGE LEE. Well DEDGE LEE has proven to be as incompetent and caniving as ROB ALSTON. DEDGE LEE will not return my calls and has decided he just doesn't want to deal with me and now I am being threatened by there collection department with daily phone call and letters. I am seeking an attorney to deal with this mess but REALLY now I have to go out of pocket to deal with something that could have been resolved with a phone call and a few follow up questions. THIS AT&T YP CONNECT program is BULL S**T ((((DO NOT DO IT)))) it is a SCAM!!!

Jimania Feb 16, 2011

File a complaint with your local BBB office and post your comments on any site that allows reviews. Typically a BBB complaint will get their attention. Do Google searches for "Cooling Off Law New Jersey" to explore your statutory limits. With proper documentation of your Notice of Intent To Cancel you may have grounds for a lawsuit - certainly could force them to cancel the Sales Agreement. Good Luck and don't give up too quickly!

• Cc
    cc245ltd Feb 16, 2011

Hi, I own a small company in NJ and was contacted by YP to set up a meeting with a salesman to review advertising possiilities. I met the salesman and by the time he was completed I signed up for a website and internet exposure. The cost was 244 per month. The following day I called the salesman to cancel for my own reasons and he stated no problem. I sent a email to confirm the cancellation, got a call from my salesman stating no problem its cancelled. I noticed my bank account was getting debited on a monthly basis by YP. I contacted the salesman and customer service both said my contract ends in 8 months. Be very careful when YP contacts you.

• I want to thank all the wonderful individuals who have taken their time to respond to our comment/complaint and, apologize to those whom we have not returned contact. Your response (needless to say) has been over whelming. AT&T-Yellowpages.com and Blue Ribbon Auto Glass, Llc. have mutually agreed to terminate our contract and we have received a full refund. This does not excuse AT&T's misrepresentation of their product or unconscionable behavior. Nor does this make-up for our total financial losses. However, at this time we are not pursuing our law suite.

If I could pass on what this experience has shown me, I would say to, Not go quietly into the night. Let your voice be heard. File your complaint with as many organizations outside of ATT's control as possible. The BBB, Federal Trade commission, State Attorney Generals Office etc... If you are paying with a credit/debit card, STOP PAYMENT NOW! And dispute the charges with your card company (AT&T must prove their charges are valid to the card company and are not allowed to contact the person or business disputing the charges about the amount disputed until it is settled). If they do so, file a complaint with your card company (Visa/MC/AMEX/DC) not your bank. If you have been sent to collections, dispute the validity of the original bill. Make AT&T prove they provided the service. Your contract is for clicks, not calls. AT&T must show a preponderance of proof that your clicks are in accordance with your specific contract. The plain and simple truth is they can not. IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE THE SERVICE STATED IN YOUR CONTRACT, THE CONTRACT IS NOT VALID. Finally, USE the experience and advice given on the complaint board. It is a great resource!

Mathew Korba
    Blue Ribbon Auto Glass, Llc.

• Re
    Reginald Dulaney Nov 17, 2010

My name is Reggie Dulaney. I own Panthro Fitness LLC in Pittsburgh PA. I was trying to advertise with YPConnect and was scammed. I didn't receive 1 phone call and was never able to see me click rates or anything associated with my listing. They also came and shot a video and was supposed to supply me with the commercial. I haven't seen the commercial once it was approved and it isn't even posted anywhere. The district manager contacted me once and was allegedly going to pull my click rates and never got back to me. I hadn't heard from the sales person that was working on this since I started complaining. I've spent $1000's of dollars with them and haven't received 1 call that wasn't a vendor trying to sell to me. My local salespersons name was Ndeh Mbhandi.

• My name is Mathew Korba. I am the owner of Blue Ribbon Auto Glass Llc in Tacoma, Wa. I too attempted to advertise with the YPConnect program (yellow pages on-line), marketed by AT&T advertising. We are currently seeking businesses and individuals who have not received the services promised by Yellowpages.com Llc as sold by AT&T Advertising Solutions to partipate in a class action suite. The purpose of the suite is to recover financial losses incurred by mis-leading sales tactics and Yellowpages.com Llc's inability to deliver it's product as advertised. You are encouraged to participate.
    Please cal [protected] or email [email protected] for more information

Jimania Aug 26, 2010

Mark -
    Let me introduce you to some facts. I am a former area Sales Manager for BellSouth Advertisng & Publishing. I have a full and complete (inside) understanding of yellow page products, sales techniques, fulfillment issues and billing strategies, common customer complaints and the level of results from YP advertising. Everything that I have stated is a verifiable fact. I have no shame in promoting my company or discussing what differentiates us. This isn't immature - it's what competition does in a free market economy.

Mark the Marketer Aug 26, 2010

Both of you are very immature.

John12312, This is business, always check into a company before making accusations no matter if the company is big or small.

Jimania, You can't put down one company just to advertise for your own. That is not the meaning of "reputable".

Jimania Aug 24, 2010

What is the purpose of your post? You seem off topic. There is not a single company in this world that at some point in time you " had never heard of". What information can you share to justify the comment that it ". . . sounds like a bigger scam . . ." ? You clearly infer that you know nothing of the company mentioned and then state that they sound like abigger scam . . . decisions without information, nice job. Why would you think a company WITHOUT long-term contracts, and lower rates is a "bigger scam"? You're probably not a good fit for E-Platform Marketing. Do you work for AT&T?

John12312 Aug 24, 2010

E Platform Who? Isn't the point of advertising so people will see it ?? Sounds like a bigger scam to me !! Why would I want to put my company's advertising with an agency that no has ever heard of...

Jimania Jun 21, 2010

It MOST DEFINITELY IS pay per click. They also have what has been called "early up" meaning that they expedite getting your "product" online so that the billing can start as soon as possible. If you sign for print advertising you get 12 monthly bills whereas with their Internet Products you could get as much as 18 months of billing . . . with no ability to cancel it.

If you want personalized service, customized programs and the ability to have 3 month Agreements you can contact E-Platform Marketing in Atlanta, GA. Find them online at http://www.EPlatformMarketing.com