AT&TMobile phone trade in credits

S Jul 29, 2020

I had upgraded my phone with AT&T from iPhone 8 to Samsung Galaxy S10. This was done at Costco during Thanksgiving sale, In November. While getting the upgrade, the person doing my upgrade at Costco informed that I was eligible for an existing offer with AT&T which is : If I upgrade from iPhone to Samsung and trade my iPhone, I would get $300 in bill credits for 30 months ($10 every month).
I happily signed up for that offer.
During December I had gone out of USA on a vacation and returned in January.
The very next day after my return, I had dropped my old phone (iPhone 8, which was in a very good working condition with no scratches at all). The AT&T member accepted my phone and gave me a receipt and said I would start getting bill credits after 2-3 billing cycles.

In june, when I realized its been more than 3 months, I checked my bill and didn't see any bill credits in any of the billing cycle.
I had tried reaching out to customer service - the waiting time to talk to a representative was itself very long (because of Covid situation) I still waited until a representative attended my call. The representative gave me a number to billing department. I Dailed to that new number who again gave me a 2nd phone number to try because they were not handling trade ins. I hang up and dail in to that trade in department, but number was invalid. I again had to dail to the billing department - this time a different person, I explained the whole story again. This new person now says he can give me those bill credits and I would see that in my next cycle. He also sent me a confirmation message.

I wait until my next billing cycle in June, but no credit again. I now call them again and same story repeats, finally when I'm done explaining the whole thing, the person says he have to escalate the issue and put me on hold. After a long wait the call gets disconnected. I dail back again and wait to talk a representative again, and this time they finally explain me what happened: the other person had put in a message but the credits were actually not activated because I was not eligible for the offer as I dint the unlimited plan. Then I ask them why was I not informed when I turned in phone, and that I want my phone back if not the bill credits. they say I have to talk to the third party that handles trade in in order to receive my ohone back. They give their phone number. I call the third party, they give the whole details of when they received my phone and that they accepted my phone and that the billing department can now give me the credits. They also said they don't have any more information.

I dail back to billing department, long wait, and finally I speak to someone. Explain the whole story and now the person again says the same thing. They have to escalate the issue and put me on hold again. I almost wait for an hr and then the call gets disconnected again.

I gave up now. I can't keep talking to them every day, spending hours on calls, I am a working mom with 2 kids at home. I dont get any free time as is.

So I atleast try to use their chat service which the worst customer service, I can never get to talk to someone I can talk to even.

Here's the text message I received on June 1st:
AT&T Free Msg:

Hi SINDOORA!

This is RAM from AT&T Customer Care.

Thanks for reaching out. As a confirmation, $60 credit has been applied to your account. Look for your adjustment on your next bill. View your bill on your phone with the myAT&T app.

Have a great day and stay safe always.

Raymond M.

If I had not given my phone to AT&T, my phone was eligible for a trade in value of $200 at that time. I should have atleast done that, could have gotten some value for my phone. If not, my original plan was to give it to my dad as de doesn't have a smart phone. I got cheated saying I would get $300. I got tempted for it thinking it was a good deal. I now lost my phone, nor did I get the credits.

• Kb
    KB2983 Aug 09, 2020

The same exact thing happened to me during the same time period. File complaints with the BBB, state attorney general and all boards such as Yelp and Reddit. Following that seek arbitatration. You need to hold the thiefs accountable.

• Si
    Sindoora Aug 26, 2020

@KB2983 Did you file a case ?