Aspen Dentalextraction, denture, and nerve damage

This review was posted by
a verified customer
Verified customer

1. 12/11 first appointment
2. 12/12 second appointment
3. 12/13 extraction
a. Appointment at 3:30 did not get to room until 4:00
b. Received first Novocain shot around 4:30-Dentist left to attend another patient
c. Came back later not sure of time and said I needed a booster without checking, then he left again to attend another patient. .
d. Came back and said I needed another booster, again without checking, then left to attend another patient, twice he would position the overhead light on bright right in my eyes. I tried putting my hand up to cover my eyes and he saw them and said I will fix that in a minute
e. Finally came to do extraction with nurse and said I needed another booster. When extractions were done he said he needed to stitch the left side, during the stitching the suture string was laid all over my face and eyes and it appeared he had difficulty tying the sutures. All the teeth I have had pulled I have never had suture string put all over my face. I could not believe it.
f. The assistant saw that I was shaking and asked if I was ok? She said dr. she is shaking I'm worried, he was not.
g. Then he left and got my temporary, put it in and said, "looks like teeth to me" and he left
h. The assistant helped me to wipe the blood dripping from my mouth and cleaned me up as best she could before I had to walk out to waiting room to leave. I drove myself home longest drive I ever had!
i. I left office around 5:30

4. Numbness in my tongue did not go away until 1:30 am on 12/14 I could not drink without my tongue and I was extremely thirsty tried using a spoon to get some water down my throat but choked when I tried that, just had to wait until tongue thawed. I also had a bloody nose on 12/14 and on 12/14. Never had this before after tooth extractions.
5. Next appointment was on 12/15 had different dentist. I told him I could not wear temporary it did not fit and the front teeth were too long, my teeth had never looked like this plus I could not eat yet, still on broth and could not talk with temporary in. He filed the front teeth down a bit and at least I could talk but still too tall. Plus it did not last so took them out again. There was no one available to adjust temporary due to he was on vacation
6. Then on 12/16 my gums and lip were still numb and swollen, however I could feel something on the right side of my gum with my tongue. It was really bugging me because I could not get it because of the numbness could not feel it when I put fingers in mouth to try and retrieve it. I could not figure out what it could be because I had only been able to drink soup broth, nothing solid. I was still using ice pack at this time.
7. Then at 11:24 I finally was able to get my tongue to pull it up above my lip only to realize it was a suture. I was shocked, did not realize I had stitches in right side. Then at 2:07 it fell out and I retrieved it. I took pictures of this.
8. Next appointment was on 12/19 I had same dentist that did extractions. I was still in pain. I did not have my temporary in again during this visit. I explained again that the temporary did not fit, could not eat yet or talk with them in again. He checked my mouth and said oh well you just had extractions. I could not believe that he could have forgotten that he had done the procedure just 5 days earlier. Then he took the temporary and made some adjustments and I had some type of soft liner put in them. Still the front teeth are too long. I was so upset by then I just wanted out of the office and wanted to go home. I have lost 7 pounds and I am just now (12/26) able to eat soft foods and foods I can squish on the roof of my mouth and swallow.

9. I cannot afford to lose any more weight! Plus I had to take another week off work without pay. I scheduled my last 5 days vacation to have this done. It is not like I have never had an extraction before these were the last 4 teeth I had. My upper teeth were all pulled in one visit and I did not go through this. Plus Aspen pulled my bottom teeth all but these four on one day and I did not go through this. I got a partial and I was very happy with the results.

10. I had to cancel on the Company Christmas Party and on the family Christmas dinner.

11. On 12/29 I had another appointment at which time, Dr. McDonald decided to do a soft lining due to the fact that the temporary denture was so big and not working. He told the assistant that my gums were not healed so they would do the soft liner and then schedule me in to have a new denture once my gums were healed. The pain from this soft lining was excruciating! It burned so bad I couldn't stand it and I had to leave it for 5 minutes. The longest 5 minutes of my life!

12. My next scheduled appointment Dr. McDonald was no longer working at Aspen Dental. I had a new dentist.

13. New dentist next visit. He was very nice and wanted me to bring in pictures when I complained that the denture was not even close to what my teeth normally looked liked. He wanted an idea of what my teeth looked like prior to extractions. I did so. He agreed the denture was totally wrong and said I needed a new denture everything would need to be redone from scratch.

14. New mold was made and new denture was made. The new doctor told me that I could come in on Saturday and they would fix all problems with new denture. I asked him 5 times if the appropriate people would be in on Saturday because in the past these people did not work on Saturdays. Even the Assistant questioned him. But he insisted that everyone would be there. I made sure he knew that I would have to reschedule my Saturday to come in and I just wanted to make sure they would be there. He again insisted they would be. I came in on Saturday and not only were the people who worked on dentures not there but neither was he. I said there was no reason for me to be there and I left.

15. I came in on next visit and was told I had a new dentist. His name was Dr. Chow. The other dentist was no longer working at Aspen. The assistant told me that she tried to tell him no one was scheduled on Saturday but he told her to shush. She asked me if I remembered that and of course I did. She said in all her years working there no dentist had ever told her to shush!

16. Dr. Chow tried his best to make this horrible situation right. Avery, the accountant, and I had several conversations about the bill at this time I had a $281(?) bill. I told her that I was not going to pay for their mistake and I would not pay for balance of the original ($281?) bill until the mistake was corrected. She agreed with me and said she understood completely and would take care of it. At first the bookkeeper would always call me to desk before I left to ask about the bill, I told her she needed to speak with Avery that we had an agreement towards the end they did not even call me to bookkeeper any longer.

17. The pain I was having with this denture just would not go away, it was in the area where the extractions were made. I asked Dr. Chow why I was having this pain. 2 hours after having denture in I was in pain, 4 hours I would have to take an Advil, by end of 8 hours, even with Advil, I couldn't wait to get home to take them out. I do not eat on days I have to physically be at plant or orchards. (The company has allowed me to work from home) They took X-rays to see if I had part of root, or bone fragments left in gums. I did not. Pain was so bad and located where the teeth were extracted, plus I was having trouble with my lip quivering. Dr. Chow said it could be nerve damage, which could go away in 3-6 months, maybe a year and maybe I would have for rest of my life. It has been 9 months and pain is still really bad. I send my assistant to all conventions now, and if I have to take a client or auditor to lunch I do not eat. If I am able to order something soft I sit on outside of table so I go to restroom and put in more Polident. Usually I end up asking for take home container.

18. I kept getting bills and the balance kept going up, I called Avery and was told she was not in. I called back later and was told she was no longer working there. Samantha had taken her place. I asked to speak with Samantha and she wanted to know when I was going to take care of this bill. I asked her to review my file and told her about Avery's agreement with me. She read the file and continued to press me for the money I told her I did not feel responsible for this bill I was still in pain and if I needed to I would seek legal help but I would rather the two of us work this out. I told her my concern was that the bill would go to collection and she told me she would put a hold on the bill and would call to give me update. She never did. I called her 3 times from the end of June to July 12th, she was never in, either with a customer, at lunch or had day off. I received collection notice on 7/27/18. I never received an update and i should not have had to pay for their mistake especially since they said i would not.


  • BoycottAspen Sep 03, 2018
    This comment was posted by
    a verified customer
    Verified customer

    I am so sorry for your pain, but this is yet another Aspen Dental horror story.
    If you want someone to talk to please contact
    We at B.A.D. are here for our fellow Aspen Dental Victims. Best Regards.

    0 Votes

Post your comment

    By clicking Submit you are agreeing to the Complaints Board’s Terms and Conditions


    Unhappy consumers gather online at and have already logged thousands of complaints.
    If you see dozens of complaints about a certain company on ComplaintsBoard, walk away.
    One of the largest consumer sites online. Posting here your concerns means good exposure for your issues.
    A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices.
    ComplaintsBoard is a good source for product and company gripes from especially dissatisfied people.
    You'll definitely get some directions on how customer service can best solve your problem.
    Do a little research on the seller. Visit consumer complaint websites like ComplaintsBoard.