Ashton Woods Homesunethical company, disastrous homes

K

I would give ashton woods zero stars if I could. This review is for ashton woods as a whole, and more specifically, jillian montalvo (Who is now currently working for david weekley) , elise green, and margaret g. (Who is now working for meritage homes in harvest green). My husband and I was shown a finished inventory home in aliana and was told that the home that was currently being built in bella terra would be identical minus the selections in flooring, countertops, and other miscellaneous items. We had then signed the contract and given the earnest money (Almost 7-8k) , taking valuable time out of our schedule to design our home at the design center. After a few weeks, when the framing of the house came about, we had noticed a significant difference in ceiling height from the aliana house and ours. After bringing this issue to attention, jillian confirmed with corporate that she was unaware that the different elevations had different ceiling heights. If any of you have experience in this area, ceiling height can cause a dramatic change to the overall outlook of the house. When we had signed the contract initially, we were under the impression that there were differences in the floor plan and layout not ceiling height! We then told them immediately that we were unhappy with the situation and wanted our earnest money back. As the usual horrible business that they are, never putting their clients first, they refused, providing limited options that did not satisfy nor remedy this issue.

Unfortunately at the time, we did not want to lose our earnest money, so we tried to deal with the fact that we had already been deceptively misled into signing a purchase agreement on a home that was not what we had been promised. We were then entrapped into an obligatory arrangement that had eventually precipitated into numerous problems down the line, including but not limited to multiple missed deadlines (Pushing our closing date further and further down into the year) , obvious defects in workmanship and materials, faulty construction, ill-engineered lots, and absence of accountability. After carefully inspecting the home on several accounts and submitting numerous complaints to jillian and our construction manager regarding specific construction aspects, two of which transpired during our pre-drywall meeting (I. E. Splitting of support beams, use of damaged materials, failure to properly follow the design and architecture of the plan) , instead of being corrected at the appropriate time frame, were either masked by sheet rock and left unrepaired or done at the inappropriate staging of the house, ultimately giving rise to new structural complications that will only undermine the home's foundation in the near future (I. E. Extensive cracking in the sheet rock in multiple locations).

Another month out, we were then informed that the electrical pedestal was installed incorrectly for the homes on our street, and that collectively, we would all be impacted by this error. After the apparent abandonment on the construction of our home and our home alone, it became evident that we were the only ones who were forced to undergo this avertible event that could have very well been avoided had the lot been inspected prior to being released to buyers. This meant that only our house on the street would have no electrical power and thus no work could be done on the house at this point. Almost immediately after, we found ourselves, yet again, propelled into another setback; the meter which was scheduled to arrive on said date, was pushed back leaving two weeks of unproductivity and unresolved matters.

After writing a letter to corporate, elise green responded without any such remorse, informing us that per their contract, ashton woods has two years to complete the construction of one's home. Jillian then also openly admitted that the construction of each home would vary, some would be better than others due to the contractors they have. At this point, we were so displeased that we agreed to forfeit the earnest money rather than stay with a business who is clearly only out for themselves.

Immediately after, we signed with another builder in bella terra and received outstanding and superb service. It has been a year now in our beautiful home and we have never been more happy with the decision we made. Ashton woods is an unethical, money-making scam. The employees they hire are a disgusting reflection on the values they place on their customers.

• Cr
    Craig Ranch Jun 25, 2017

I am sorry to hear how horrible your experience has been but I do not doubt in the slightest the actions of Ashton Woods. I am beginning to think that I may be in the early stages of an incident similar to yours. With the amount of out of state buyers coming to Texas, most home buyers are not seeing the construction process which is truly abysmal.

I am currently building an Ashton Woods home here in North Dallas (McKinney). The issues started the minute they leveled the lot and prepared for the foundation to be poured. I started to notice alcohol cans and bottles throughout the lot and trash being buried at various points. Once the foundation was poured I stopped by again and noticed over 48 beer cans on the lot, in the concrete, buried in the dirt and hidden in wood piles. Ashton Woods has done nothing but make excuses and more excuses for the workers actions. Further, the slab is not level and is in need of repairs as it was not done correctly the first time. The operations manager blamed this on the sub-contractors but would not provide any recourse for their actions. Apparently it's an anything goes environment.

To make matters worse I visited the other homes under construction and noticed the same thing, alcohol is everywhere. Thinking that it was just this particular builder and development I visited another McKinney, TX development and the same issue was seen. The workers have a systemic problem with drinking on the job site. This company puts everyone involved at risk and does not enforce the law. Be very very cautious!