Having problems with AOL?

AOL reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 8, 2006. The latest review aol mail was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint Customer service was resolved on Jun 27, 2013. AOL has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 123 reviews. AOL has resolved 20 complaints.

AOL Customer Service Contacts

22000 AOL Way
Sterling, Virginia
United States - 20166

AOL Complaints & Reviews

AOL ServiceStealing money from my debit card

aol opened an account with out my PERMISSION.
I have no land line phone. I use verizon wireless.
HELP HELP HELP
from jan to june aol ran my card 16 times.
14 times the card was declined.
4 times they STOLE $155.80

I would like to press charges.

PLEASE HELP

AOLE-mail service

After paying AOL for over 15 years last night our service was canceled without warning. In addition two weeks ago my computer was infected with a McAfee virus- McAfee also provided to us by AOL. Had to deleted McAFee and replace with Micro Trend to rid virus. Had to delete the over 600 returned unknown address messages . I called AOL to notify them of this- Hours of phone calls to tell them that we did nothing wrong have served no purpose. We are both in the technical field and do work from home and access to our account is imperative, yet we have been punished with no prior notice. I even sent the AOL "Community Action Team" a letter as they asked and was told this morning by a technician that "There is no one at AOL that can reactivate your account" ... wow. Wonderful customer service. Thanks AOL for treating us like criminals. I have finally reached a voice mail for TIm Armstrong, CEO of AOL- Wow there are no live people there.

• Be
        Benjoh May 05, 2010

You should go with Norton Security. Also I cannot understand why anyone would want to purchase AOL or any other sites when MSN and Yahoo are free. You get free mailbox with both sites and they are most widely used sites. McAffee doesn't catch all viruses or trojan horses, but with live updates that Norton automatically downloads daily catches all. I use the 3 in one CD that I buy directly from Wal-Mart in my computers.

TWX AOL — Fraud

TWX AOL has been withdrawing funds from my account each month for the past two years according to my bank...

AOL — Simply awful

Any other internet company requires you to register the id number on your modem. From t here you can either...

AOLFraud and scam

I have recently been sent to a Collection Agency due to improper billing by AOL. While living with my fiance I called Aol for internet dial up services which were to be billed to my fiance's phone bill. I moved out the end of December leaving the computer behind. Since the internet was not in my name I did not feel it necessary to cancel services. In February of 2007 my ex canceled the Aol internet. He has proof of payment up until the cancellation date through AT&T but AOL claims they have not been paid. That's when I started receiving bills in the amount of $61.80 for 2 months of service from November and December. When I call to speak to a supervisor they simply say, "No one is available at this time." They will not resolve this issue with us stating it is an AT&T problem to talk to them but they will not contact them, that it is our responsibility.

I told them I wanted records sent to my ex from July of 2006 to February 2007 and to hold the account until this is resolved with a supervisor. The next letter I received from AOL was stating I was reported to a collection agency. My ex is still waiting on the billing records. I have come to find out Aol has been involved in several law suits in reference to their billing tactics.

This company is known for their "Double Billing" issues. I, along with several others are fed up with this company!!

AOLBAD SERVICE

AOL IS NOT A GOOD COMPANY . SO MANY TIMES IT TELLS ME THAT THERE IS A MOMENTARY FAILURE, PLEASE SEND AGAIN ETC..ETC... WHILE AT THE SAME MOMENT I HAVE CORRECT ACCESS WITH OTHER SERVICES !!! LIKE GMAIL, YAHOO ETC...,
        I HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS WITH AOL AND I WONDER WHY ? I DO HAVE TO BE A MASOCHIST AND VERY STUPID TO CONTINUE USING THE SERVICES OF AOL .SENDING PICTURES ALWAYS FAIL BECAUSE OF THE SHALLOW CONTENTS PERMITED . JUST THE NAME SOUND GOOD, IT IS A LAMENTABLE OPERATION WITH A VERY POOR SERVICE, never any one to answer, HOPE "AOL" GET OUT ONE DAY OF THE INTERNET MAP . THAT IS ALL WHICH IS DESERVED AFTER HAVING ABUSED ECONOMICALY OF SO MANY CLIENTS
        GERARD HAMELINE
        [protected]@aol.com

AOL — Suspension of my account

I am totally devasted!! Aol has suspended my account without giving me any reason. I have been with aol for...

AOLFraudulent charges

I have been an AOL customer for over ten years. About two years ago, I purchased DSL through Charter Communications but I wanted to keep my AOL email addresses. AOL offered me a package for $ 9.99 per month. I took it. For about one year, I was charged $ 9.99 per month on my debit card. Then all of a sudden, I was charged $ 109.99 on my debit card.

Immediately upon learning of the error, I contacted AOL by email and contacted my credit union to inform both that this was an error that needed to be corrected. After writing several emails to both AOL and my credit union, I have not received one dime of a refund.

I like AOL as an ISP. However, their accounting and customer service policies are horrible. In my opinion, AOL's practice of charging a debit or credit card more than they have been authorized to charge is fraud and should be treated as such.

I know that the extra charges, etc are not mistakes because if they were mistakes once the mistakes were brought to customer services' attention they would be corrected. No such luck with this company.

I am extremely disgusted that a company of this size would continue to take advantage of their customers.

• Br
              Brenda1963 Oct 21, 2012

Use to have AOL on my computer. Had medical issues and had to stop working. About two years ago finally got AOL dumped from my system but I am unable to get the AOL Call Alert charges shut off even though I no longer have house phone or AOL paid service. Go on their web site and they say I can cancel service on-line but have looked every where and followed their instructions for on-line shut-off but to no avail. Can anyone help contact cdnpooh64 @aol.com subject line call alert. Much help would be loved. No wonder more and more people are getting away from AOL, their help is non-helpful.

TWX*AOL Service? what is it

I still do not know who you are and never did. The phone number on the will is
            [protected].

I cannot get through the phone number. My debit card has been canceled.

I you want for expose them contact me and [protected]

• He
                heartscarved Jul 07, 2009

I just got through with AOL and found out what this monthly charge is for. Apparently when you initially signed up for service this is a support package including software technical support, antivirus and dial up access.

This is a huge charge for these services. If you do not want them - call AOL and discontinue this before the 4th of the month when they post their charge.

TWX*AOL Service — Refund

No one authorized you to withdraw any funds from my debit account. How did you get access to my card...

AOL — Why can't I cancel my account???

Has anyone tried to cancel their AOL account?????? Well, it is next to impossible. I have had AOL as my ISP...

Flat Rock

AOLRip off

AOL is set up to rip off people, generally if using their free 90 day trial you will be charged monthly. Their automatic cancellation program does not work and customer's can expect numerous monthly bills.

This is at epidemic proportions with over 4, 800 reports and I would suggest writing Himmelstein and the FBI's Internet Fraud division. Make sure your report and get a confirmation number for your cancellation from AOL. I would also keep calling AOL and daily for weeks. Block their phone lines and accounts as a way to say 'no more'. Press charges..

TWX AOL Service — Unauthorized withdrawal from checking account

On 12/31/08 a withdrawal of $32.90 was made from my checking account at my credit union. the information...

TWX AOLUnauthorized billing

For the past year or so my wife's credit/debit card has been charged $32.00. She had been bringing it to my attention but I was sure that the charges were legitimate. It wasn't until recently (a couple of weeks ago) that I finally realized the charges were in fact unauthorized, for we have not been customers with AOL for over 5 years. I notice there has been a number of complaints by individuals having the same issue. Please give me any assistance available that I may resolve this issue and possibly receive a refund of every unauthorized deduction made by TWX AOL.

• Br
                    Brad Feb 04, 2009

I have the same problem, I see a definite pattern here. I'm wondering what to do next. Foolish as it may sound, I gave an AOL billing rep. my credit card info over the phone, to receive the user name and password of the mysterious account I'd just become aware of, in order to hopefully gain access to cancel. Hope it works better for me than others I'm reading about. I also would like total refunding. It would make sense that if they had seen no activity on that account during the 13 months in question, they would have to reimburse me. Or am I just dreaming?

• Pa
                    PAUL BARAN Feb 05, 2007

My daughter was billed by twx aol for &61.80 she did not authorize any moneys to be taken out of her account.and she did not open a aol account. She is in the navy in the pension golf and has no access to aol. If somebody would look into this for her it would be very much appreciated.

AOLAOL shut my business down

AOL has shut down my business!!! I have been approved by AOL to send mass emails for my business. Recently I have recived error messages (3times) when I have sent out mass emails to my customers. Each time I have called and have been told everything is OK and I can continue with no risk of interruption to my service and given reference numbers. I have been operating with mass emails for 8 years. Today my service was suspended!! When I called to question what had happened, I was told my account was in violation. They would not tell me what the violation was! I was also told that I needed to WRITE A LETTER to AOL in Virginia to find out what the violation was and to solve the problem. No one would answer my question or refer me to a supervisor. I spoke to people in India, Sri Lanka and the Philippines and they could not refer me to another person. I did ask if the person worked out of their home, since they could not refer me to a supervisor. I do an internet business, this is the busiest time of year for retailers, in a bottomed out economy. AND AOL HAS SHUT ME DOWN! for weeks, since the only way I can communicate with them is via snail mail. I was thanked however that I had been a customer for 12 years and 3 months, BIG DEAL!

AOLshut down Hometown web sites

AOL took my money to provide internet access and web hosting. On 10/31/08 they discontinued providing web hosting at Hometown.aol.com and refused to provide access to my data. If you have the same problem, I found a solution to get into the AOL FTP site without using AOL software (which no longer works).

Use an FTP client like FTP Voyager and log in using the following information:

URL = ftp.hometown.aol.com

default directory = "your AOL screen name"

log in = "your AOL screen name"

password = "your AOL password"

This won't work if you try to use anonymous log in

• Ba
                        Babs Nov 12, 2008

On October 30, 2008 I was informed that my AOL account had been terminated. I called customer service and was then transferred to the business office. I explained my situation and asked why my account had been terminated. After the representative explained the only thing I could do was send a letter to CAT, I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor also said the only thing to do was to write a letter to CAT. That same day, I sent a letter asking that my account be reinstated long enough for me to extract my saved information such as email addresses, phone numbers, and emails.

I have been an AOL account holder for over 8 years. I sent a letter, as I was instructed by the AOL business office, almost two weeks ago. I have yet to hear anything back from AOL concerning my account. I ask, again, that my account be reinstated long enough for me to extract my saved information.

AOLCancelled svc and still getting billed each month

My Mother is 80 and has tried for close to a year to cancel her AOL service (she hasn't had a computer for months). TWX*AOL SERVICE 0808, [protected] continues to bill her checking account each month. I don't even understand the charges. She has tried calling them but they say they can not help her unless she gives them her e-mail address and password. She has not used either for months and has forgotten them. I have now stepped in to try and resolve the issue but getting the run a round. I have provided my e-mail address for feedback.

• Bi
                          bighock Jul 02, 2009

file a complaint with the BBB, better business bureau, file a complaint with the federal communications agency, add up all the charges that she was billed, go to civil court and file a lawsuit for the amount and 1, 000, 000 dollars in punitive damages.

the lawsuit will get thrown out, however in the process, you will receive a full refund and the billing will end.

might even be a chance the judge despises AOL Time warner and decides to hear the case. might get lucky, if so... you owe me a 15% cut of your winnings.

• Bl
                          bluebird33 Jun 26, 2009

This might sound like a crazy solution to your problem but it may be your only hope. CANCEL the credit card they are using to bill her. Just cancel the card ASAP. I used to have AOL a million years ago, and I had a hard time getting then to let us cancel our account. Seems they are a crappy internet provider and as a last resort to losing lots of customers they want to hang onto everyone's coat tails. AOL is a dinosaur they has been dying a slow death for a lonnnnng looong looong time...you can get free email accounts with either yahoo or google & they are both totally free & good.

AOLUnfair billing practices

I pay by Credit Card. My bill has more than doubled in past two months and I can not reach a person at AOL to discuss it. I used the number on Credit Card bill for AOL and it sends me to bill.aol.com. When I get there, I cannot access my account, nor do I get a phone number to speak to anyone. What a scam they have going.
                        I am upset and just want to reach a person by phone to discuss why they increased my bill without contacting me or without sending me a notice via mail, that they were billing my account for double the agreed contract. I want someone to contact me since I am unable to contact them.
                        This is very upsetting to me.

TWX*AOL Service — Unauthorized charges on my debit card

For two (2) separate months now I have had $33.40 taken out of my bank account and have no idea who / what ...

TWX*AOL ServiceCharged for a service I didn't order

I have been charged on 4/15/2008, 4/17/2008 also on 4/18/2008. 25.90 each day. I do not know who TWX* AOL SERVICE is and I never gave them any information at any time for this service. How do I go about getting my money returned to me?

Sincerely:
                          Homer P. Mason

• Ju
                              juicyfruit Oct 12, 2009

I allowed a family member to do a one time only transaction with my bank debit card on 7/2009 for 21.00 in which i advised the rep from direct tv whom collected the pmt that this was a ONE TIME ONLY CHARGE and do not store my cc number because i did this as a favor!!! After reviewing my acct on 10/6/2009 i saw that a debit was taken from account in the amt of 558.60 without so much as a word! I'm PISSED! I contacted direct tv and was hung up on 3 different times then i was connected to a rep that said i would have to speak to the financial billing services department which comes to find out you cant talk to them over the phone only by fax? I faxed them on 10/6/2008 explaining that this is fraud and i dont have an acct and they should return my funds to my acct asap! I called back a different rep told me that they can withdraw funds because i allowed the 1st transaction! I stated to her that I have worked at a credit card company and that isnt true! Remember people>>> You can use your card to do what ever you choose to do but if it isnt a transaction that you actually made call your card company and dispute it on the grounds that if you didnt sign anything and the company which debited the acct doesnt have you listed as a company customer those funds will have to be credited back to your acct.

anthony dykes Jul 07, 2009

i am telling this story iand need my money back i have been charged every month for twx aol services over a yr and some just decided to check bills and saw this charges went to my bank put a stop to this and would like my money back i am now seeking legal; action to see what rights i have as comsumer paying for services this long and never seeing abill or even getting thses services my email is [email protected]

• Dd
                              ddduryea May 28, 2009

What is going on? Do I have to quit AOL to remove this SPAM? I don't know what TWX*AOL Service is and don't want the charges put on my bank account. [email protected]

• Le
                              lenny Oct 03, 2008

Please note that I have been charged 32.00 a month for over 1 1/2 yrs for aol serive I never knew I even had or ever used. I want this to stop immediatley and reimburse me as sson as possible. I am notifying the Police and consumer affairs dept. I had requesed this to stop numerous times. Please give this matter your prompt attention. Leonard Wuensch TWX*AOL $32.90 a month. My e-mail is [email protected]

Jamie Sep 28, 2008

I am writing as well I never had nor gave any of my information to this 0908 TWX*AOL SERVICE XXXXXXXXXXX8308 $32.90. This is crap I want my money back as well as a number. To make a formal complaint of fraudulent activity to my account. I do plan to go to my bank tomorrow to make sure this doesn't happen again as well to see if I can get my money back! If anyone can tell me a number or if you have found out anything. Please email me at [email protected]

• De
                              delitacullen Aug 22, 2008

This service did not ever even work for me at all. i canceled it two months ago before i started getting charged. i have been charged twice now.once on 7 14-08 abd again on 08/01/08 I dont know how you can charge someone then, charge them again two weeks later. your company has made my checks bounce and, i want this off my account now!

• Da
                              Daniel Martinez Aug 07, 2008

I am writing to let you know I never ordered this service and I want my money back that you people are taking out of my checking account! Please I can not afford this charge! you have been taking this out for about a year and it has to stop! I've tried canceling many times! please help me this time!

• Mi
                              Michael A. Fresquez Jul 18, 2008

T.W.X. AOL Services!!!I'm like many others. I'm be ing charged to my checking account $32.90 for somrthing I never ordered. How do you go about getting your money back. I want by money back this is fraud and stilling. [protected]

JAMES POWELL Jul 11, 2008

"TO WHOM MAY CONCERN, ON 7/11/2008, I WAS CHARGED FORM T.W.X. AOL SERVICES, I DON'T KNOW WHO THIS IS, I NEVER GAVE THEM ANY INFO, NOR ANY PERMIISION TO TAKE MONEY OFF MY CARD, I NEED MY MONEY BACK! CALL ME AT850-437-4649 or [protected] thank you!!