Complaints & Reviews

AOL have got to be the worst broadband company

AOL stop taking my money

I’m getting thoroughly fed up with the hassle of trying to cancel my AOL Broadband subscription. I have recently moved in with my girlfriend who already has O2 broadband, so the AOL service on my old (rented) flat is simply no longer required. I contacted AOL, and the cancellation instruction seemed to be accepted OK. Just to be sure, I wrote to my bank, asking them to cancel the payment at their end too. Then, when my subscription date came around, surprise surprise, the payment was taken out of my account. I initially phoned my bank, who explained that the payment to AOL is by debit card, rather than Direct Debit, which means they (the bank) can’t stop it at their end. However they did offer to put through a chargeback claim, to get the money back from AOL. I also contacted AOL who apologised, and confirmed that my service had definitely been cancelled. Needless to say, this month the same thing has happened again. It’s only £20 but that’s really not the point – is there no way to stop these people taking money for a service they are no longer providing?! Please AOL, get in touch with me and help stop this aggravation happening again.

unauthorized charges

I to have charges from this place. If this provider is not affiliated with AT&T then why
on earth are these charges on my monthly phone bill and included in the total.
Sounds like a connection to me.
What a crock. How do they get away with this.
$197.40 to be exact. Charges on 3/16, 3/18, 3/19, 4/5, 4/6, and 4/16. and these just
now showed up on my phone bill

CHARLES McANALLY Aug 19, 2008

FOR SEVERAL MONTHS MY CHECK ACCOUNT HAS BEEN DISBURSING FUNDS TO AN ACCOUNT WHICH I DID NOT AUTHORIZE. ACCORDING TO MY BANK STATEMENT THE ACCOUNT NUMBER SEEMS TO BE 0708 9325505. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS IS FOR. I HAVE NO IDEA. THE BANK HAS BEEN NOTIFIED NOT TO DISBURSE ANY MOR FUNDS.

• Ri
    Rihanna Feb 09, 2009

I have been an AOL customer for over ten years. About two years ago, I purchased DSL through Charter Communications but I wanted to keep my AOL email addresses. AOL offered me a package for $ 9.99 per month. I took it. For about one year, I was charged $ 9.99 per month on my debit card. Then all of a sudden, I was charged $ 109.99 on my debit card.

Immediately upon learning of the error, I contacted AOL by email and contacted my credit union to inform both that this was an error that needed to be corrected. After writing several emails to both AOL and my credit union, I have not received one dime of a refund.

I like AOL as an ISP. However, their accounting and customer service policies are horrible. In my opinion, AOL's practice of charging a debit or credit card more than they have been authorized to charge is fraud and should be treated as such.

I know that the extra charges, etc are not mistakes because if they were mistakes once the mistakes were brought to customer services' attention they would be corrected. No such luck with this company.

I am extremely disgusted that a company of this size would continue to take advantage of their customers.

AOL technical support emails about virus

For the last several days, I have received e-mails from Mouhajer 1. I knew that it must be a virus and call the technical support service to check into the 30+ e-mails that I have received in recent days. I was connected to people in India and after paying $190.00 for a service plan, I am still receiving the e-mails. They detected nine viruses on my computer and supposely cleaned the system. If I do not get a response from my complaints, I will be looking for another internet carrier. AOL has certainly been a disappointment!!! I would advise everyone NOT to deal with AOL.

MauiAL50 Apr 25, 2012

If they found 9 viruses on your computer you should probably get your own anti-virus software. As for the emails, use the spam filters to stop them,

Beware

It is not a simple task.

You may not cancel online, imagine that. I not only notified them online to cancel my service and I forbid that they continue to make automatic withdrawals from my account.

Well, they did it anyway. I will be waiting on pins and needles to see if they can actually cancel everything properly.

In case you don't know, you must either make a phone call or send a fax.

Isn't it amazing that they don't make it that hard to startup service with them?

Of course, the entire time you are on the phone trying to cancel, they are trying to talk you into keeping the service, and then get snippy when they finally really it's a lost cause.

christy scott Jul 25, 2008

i did not authorize aol to draft my account. I want my money back. I already have a service provider.

• Wa
    walter k. voos Jan 03, 2009

fir the last two month i have been charges & 29.50 each month twice how come..

• Wh
    WhoWhoGrl Jan 20, 2009

For 10 years of my life, I have attempted to convince myself that AOL is not worth my aggravation...I have had billing problems, ID theft, CLONES, harassment, you name it... There was a time somewhere in 2003 that I was billed for 15 hours when on an hourly plan, when my computer was off and sitting on the floor of my closet not working... (I switched to monthly and hourly depending on my situation at times...but NOT this time...) I had to argue with them for months to take off the charges...THEN I was billed for "Privacy Guard when I didn't order it...System Mechanic when the trial ended...(and I called to cancel)...I was STILL billed...ahhh let me see...viruses, hackers, BOTS and worms, spyware you name it...and things I have forgotten (thank goodness)...AOL has always "Sugar Coated" the truth I think...about everything...The lovely AOL Cafe' once again refuses to listen to my latest plight concerning "Clones"...it is AOL's answer that "Clones" are allowed under the AOL "Rules"...imagine that??? A twin...an evil Twin no less...lol Well, seeing that I am not a "Paying" customer any longer of the lovely ever so concerned AOL...I suppose my argument is not valid...in the meantime...I continue my weekly calls...someday...in this lifetime...AOL might listen to the customers instead of worshiping the almighty dollar...

• Ga
    GAPVAX, INC. Jan 05, 2011

12/22/10 AOL SERVICE 800-827-6364 NY ASSIST.AOL.COM A CHARGE FOR $4.99 SHOWS UP ON MY AMERICAN EXPRESS AND I SPENT ATLEAST AND HOUR ON THE PHONE CANCELING THIS ON 12/8/10. PLEASE CREDIT MY ACCOUNT AND CANCEL THIS SERVICE AGAIN!!!

stealing money from my debit card

aol opened an account with out my PERMISSION.
i have no land line phone. i use verizon wireless.
HELP HELP HELP
from jan to june aol ran my card 16 times.
14 times the card was declined.
4 times they STOLE $155.80

I would like to press charges.

PLEASE HELP

E-mail service

After paying AOL for over 15 years last night our service was canceled without warning. In addition two weeks ago my computer was infected with a McAfee virus- McAfee also provided to us by AOL. Had to deleted McAFee and replace with Micro Trend to rid virus. Had to delete the over 600 returned unknown address messages . I called AOL to notify them of this- Hours of phone calls to tell them that we did nothing wrong have served no purpose. We are both in the technical field and do work from home and access to our account is imperative, yet we have been punished with no prior notice. I even sent the AOL "Community Action Team" a letter as they asked and was told this morning by a technician that "There is no one at AOL that can reactivate your account" ... wow. Wonderful customer service. Thanks AOL for treating us like criminals. I have finally reached a voice mail for TIm Armstrong, CEO of AOL- Wow there are no live people there.

• Be
    Benjoh May 05, 2010

You should go with Norton Security. Also I cannot understand why anyone would want to purchase AOL or any other sites when MSN and Yahoo are free. You get free mailbox with both sites and they are most widely used sites. McAffee doesn't catch all viruses or trojan horses, but with live updates that Norton automatically downloads daily catches all. I use the 3 in one CD that I buy directly from Wal-Mart in my computers.

FRAUD

TWX AOL has been withdrawing funds from my account each month for the past two years according to my bank statements. I have never used AOL, I had no idea how this could happen. I learned that with the purchase of my Dell Laptop two years ago, which had come with the option of using AOL as my internet provider, also came monthly charges. I had never used AOL, or given them permission to withdraw money from my account. I have always used AT&T for my ISP, and I receive a billing statement from them, along with the amount I owe each month.

I would like to impress upon to the rest of those whom has experienced this involuntary blatent type of cyber crime, it is THEFT, it is FRAUD, and it is a CRIME that will not be tolerated. It should be pursed to great lengths, perhaps too, great sacrifices. These Companies, and Parties there of, who are responsible for such illegal practices need to one day soon beheld accountable and to be penalized in a harsh and costly manner.

If the current laws in your state have not yet caught up with these unlawful acts of modern day scams, robbery, or LAISSEZ-FAIRE, then we must all take swift appropriate action towards bringing these conspirators to justice.

Complain to the BBB; call The Consumer Protection Agency listed in your local phone book, call your Congressman, and State Senators, file a Fraud Report at your local Police Department, call your local TV STATION, call, call, call, and above all put a stop to it with your Finacial Institution-close your account if necessary.

It is the responsibility of all to ensure the certainty of our destiny. Refuse future victomization by taking action today.

ACT NOW. GOOD LUCK & GO GET ' EM.

SHARON K.

• Ne
    Needsome Jun 11, 2007

I was charged 25.90 but I don't know why. Is there any way to get it back? and am I going to be charged every month? and can anyone tell me what it is fore, and how to cancel it.

• Le
    leslie alexander Feb 20, 2008

They have taken money out of my checking account for over a year, without my authorization. how do i get them to stop? Plz advise smb!

• Do
    Donna Ricks Feb 26, 2008

I do not know for sure who TWX AOL is but they withdrew almost forty dollars from my bank account without autorization.I need to know how to get this taken care of.

• Ro
    robert wax Jun 17, 2008

I have been receiving monthly charges of 25.90 which I don't use. Please cancel my subscription.
    Would appreciate your kind attention on my requests.

• Ri
    Richard Hughes Sep 04, 2008

I do not know what TWX AOL even is... where they came from, or who they even are... all I know is they keep trying to collect $77.00 from my debit card.

• He
    HELEN ROSENBAUM Sep 12, 2008

I WANT TO CANCEL MY AOL $25.90 MONTHLY SERVICE. HOW CAN THAT BE DONE???

THANKING YOU

• Ok
    okwara May 03, 2009

I canceled service in april 2009.I received a refund on 05/01/09 and I was charged for service on05/01/09 of $25.90.

• Bi
    Bill rodriguez Oct 16, 2009

I been getting hit with charges of 21.95 for the past couple of months.

How do i go about putting an end to this? I do'nt even have a TWX AOL account. Please help!

Thanks

Simply awful

Any other internet company requires you to register the id number on your modem. From t here you can either...

Fraud and scam

I have recently been sent to a Collection Agency due to improper billing by AOL. While living with my fiance I called Aol for internet dial up services which were to be billed to my fiance's phone bill. I moved out the end of December leaving the computer behind. Since the internet was not in my name I did not feel it necessary to cancel services. In February of 2007 my ex canceled the Aol internet. He has proof of payment up until the cancellation date through AT&T but AOL claims they have not been paid. That's when I started receiving bills in the amount of $61.80 for 2 months of service from November and December. When I call to speak to a supervisor they simply say, "No one is available at this time." They will not resolve this issue with us stating it is an AT&T problem to talk to them but they will not contact them, that it is our responsibility.

I told them I wanted records sent to my ex from July of 2006 to February 2007 and to hold the account until this is resolved with a supervisor. The next letter I received from AOL was stating I was reported to a collection agency. My ex is still waiting on the billing records. I have come to find out Aol has been involved in several law suits in reference to their billing tactics.

This company is known for their "Double Billing" issues. I, along with several others are fed up with this company!!

BAD SERVICE

AOL IS NOT A GOOD COMPANY . SO MANY TIMES IT TELLS ME THAT THERE IS A MOMENTARY FAILURE, PLEASE SEND AGAIN ETC..ETC... WHILE AT THE SAME MOMENT I HAVE CORRECT ACCESS WITH OTHER SERVICES !!! LIKE GMAIL, YAHOO ETC...,
I HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS WITH AOL AND I WONDER WHY ? I DO HAVE TO BE A MASOCHIST AND VERY STUPID TO CONTINUE USING THE SERVICES OF AOL .SENDING PICTURES ALWAYS FAIL BECAUSE OF THE SHALLOW CONTENTS PERMITED . JUST THE NAME SOUND GOOD, IT IS A LAMENTABLE OPERATION WITH A VERY POOR SERVICE, never any one to answer, HOPE "AOL" GET OUT ONE DAY OF THE INTERNET MAP . THAT IS ALL WHICH IS DESERVED AFTER HAVING ABUSED ECONOMICALY OF SO MANY CLIENTS
GERARD HAMELINE
[protected]@aol.com

Suspension of my account

I AM TOTALLY DEVASTED!! AOL HAS SUSPENDED MY ACCOUNT WITHOUT GIVING ME ANY REASON. I HAVE BEEN WITH AOL FOR...

Fraudulent charges

• Br
    Brenda1963 Oct 21, 2012

Use to have AOL on my computer. Had medical issues and had to stop working. About two years ago finally got AOL dumped from my system but I am unable to get the AOL Call Alert charges shut off even though I no longer have house phone or AOL paid service. Go on their web site and they say I can cancel service on-line but have looked every where and followed their instructions for on-line shut-off but to no avail. Can anyone help contact cdnpooh64 @aol.com subject line call alert. Much help would be loved. No wonder more and more people are getting away from AOL, their help is non-helpful.

? what is it

I still do not know who you are and never did. The phone number on the will is
[protected].

I cannot get through the phone number. My debit card has been canceled.

I you want for expose them contact me and [protected]

• He
    heartscarved Jul 07, 2009

I just got through with AOL and found out what this monthly charge is for. Apparently when you initially signed up for service this is a support package including software technical support, antivirus and dial up access.

This is a huge charge for these services. If you do not want them - call AOL and discontinue this before the 4th of the month when they post their charge.

Refund

No one authorized you to withdraw any funds from my debit account. How did you get access to my card...

Why can't I cancel my account???

Has anyone tried to cancel their AOL account?????? Well, it is next to impossible. I have had AOL as my ISP...

Rip off

AOL is set up to rip off people, generally if using their free 90 day trial you will be charged monthly. Their automatic cancellation program does not work and customer's can expect numerous monthly bills.

This is at epidemic proportions with over 4, 800 reports and I would suggest writing Himmelstein and the FBI's Internet Fraud division. Make sure your report and get a confirmation number for your cancellation from AOL. I would also keep calling AOL and daily for weeks. Block their phone lines and accounts as a way to say 'no more'. Press charges..

UNAUTHORIZED WITHDRAWAL FROM CHECKING ACCOUNT

On 12/31/08 a withdrawal of $32.90 was made from my checking account at my credit union. the information...

UNAUTHORIZED BILLING

For the past year or so my wife's credit/debit card has been charged $32.00. She had been bringing it to my attention but I was sure that the charges were legitimate. It wasn't until recently (a couple of weeks ago) that I finally realized the charges were in fact unauthorized, for we have not been customers with AOL for over 5 years. I notice there has been a number of complaints by individuals having the same issue. Please give me any assistance available that I may resolve this issue and possibly receive a refund of every unauthorized deduction made by TWX AOL.

• Pa
    PAUL BARAN Feb 05, 2007

My daughter was billed by twx aol for &61.80 she did not authorize any moneys to be taken out of her account.and she did not open a aol account. She is in the navy in the pension golf and has no access to aol. If somebody would look into this for her it would be very much appreciated.

• Br
    Brad Feb 04, 2009

I have the same problem, I see a definite pattern here. I'm wondering what to do next. Foolish as it may sound, I gave an AOL billing rep. my credit card info over the phone, to receive the user name and password of the mysterious account I'd just become aware of, in order to hopefully gain access to cancel. Hope it works better for me than others I'm reading about. I also would like total refunding. It would make sense that if they had seen no activity on that account during the 13 months in question, they would have to reimburse me. Or am I just dreaming?

AOL shut my business down

AOL has shut down my business!!! I have been approved by AOL to send mass emails for my business. Recently I have recived error messages (3times) when I have sent out mass emails to my customers. Each time I have called and have been told everything is OK and I can continue with no risk of interruption to my service and given reference numbers. I have been operating with mass emails for 8 years. Today my service was suspended!! When I called to question what had happened, I was told my account was in violation. They would not tell me what the violation was! I was also told that I needed to WRITE A LETTER to AOL in Virginia to find out what the violation was and to solve the problem. No one would answer my question or refer me to a supervisor. I spoke to people in India, Sri Lanka and the Philippines and they could not refer me to another person. I did ask if the person worked out of their home, since they could not refer me to a supervisor. I do an internet business, this is the busiest time of year for retailers, in a bottomed out economy. AND AOL HAS SHUT ME DOWN! for weeks, since the only way I can communicate with them is via snail mail. I was thanked however that I had been a customer for 12 years and 3 months, BIG DEAL!