Ancestry.comImpossible cancellation of a registered guest

R

After several failed attempts to unsubscribe from all of Amncestry.com newsletters and emails, I complained to the Custeomer Service, asking them for help and asking contextually to cancel my account from all of their databases.

They answered me telling me that:

1) that I was placed in their "Do Not Contact List", which should mean that I shouldn't receive any new email from them

2) Surprisingly, they told me that for "Registered Guest accounts (...) there is not an established method to cancel these accounts. When you have concluded using your Registered Guest account, simply discontinue your use".

My complaints refer to:

A) I do still receive emails from them. Date of my complaint to Ancestry.com 02/16/2010, Date of their answer: 02/18/2010, date of the last Newsletter I received from them 03/02/2010 - which means AFTER being included in the "do not contact list".

B) I want to be cancelled from whatever ancestry.com database. I cannot believe that I am not able to cancel my profile, even if this is a free "Registered Guest Account". This shouldn't be possible in any Privacy policy.

• Ut
    utka Jun 06, 2016

I tried to cancel my guest account but this is impossible. Very chip trick! Ancestry.com is chip, lying, low profile money sucking “company”. I tried to call but there is answering “too many calls”. Sure! The website doesn’t give any option to cancel account. There is no option at all. All they need to suck your money and no escape. I will do everything possible on all websites to tell about my experience.

• Ge
    GenealogyJeff Feb 25, 2011

Click My Account at the top of the screen, and update your email address to be something non-existant. I imagine this should fix your problem.

Another user had a similar complaint about the removal of personal information due to this policy. See my response at Ancestry.com — deleting account for more details on that.