American Expresscanceled card with no notice

I have had my gold card for 9 years. I have always paid my balances, even through a bad period, 6 years ago, when I let other cards balances be delinquent due to medical bills.

The one thing I always appreciated with AMEX was their awesome customer service. The about 3 years ago, I noticed they had begun outsourcing customer service and billing questions to a call center in India. There were more instances of what I would term poor communication: speaking with a rep in India, being assured that a payment would post... and then finding out it had not.

I never had a pre-set credit limit, and always paid off my card every month. However, about a year ago I had a family emergency and was unable to pay off the entire $2500.00 balance in one month. I called customer service, and they helped me set up a three-month pay off plan. I followed through, and did not miss a payment.

It wasn't until the last four months, that I ever again carried over a balance, but they never complained.

Then last week I paid off the entire balance to zero. I was thrilled that I was finally caught up.

Yesterday, a small charge with Amazon.com was denied. Curious, I called AMEX. The rep told me that my card had been canceled. I asked why in the world would they cancel my card when I had just paid them in full last week. I even talked to them on the phone last Friday to make sure my online payment went through.

The rep told me he didn't know, but that if I wanted my card "re-instated" I would have to pay $45.00.

I told him that was perfectly ridiculous and asked to speak to a supervisor. The rep cut me off.

I called back again, and then, after telling the same story to another rep, she said she would transfer me to a supervisor.

I waited for 30 minutes (timed it on my cell) until a person reading from a script (obviously not in the US), with a very heavy accent, told me that because I had something unfavorable in my credit report from the past, which was noted by a credit reporting agency, my card had been canceled.

She then offered to reinstate the card for a charge of $25.00.

When I asked to speak to her supervisor, I was told that he would not be able to do anything else for me. I told her to go ahead and transfer me anyway. She then cut me off.

At first I was mad. Then I felt hurt. I have used this card ethically for 9 years, and always paid my bills. My credit score is not perfect, it is 658.

But I have been striving to make it better every year.

My sense is that AMEX will be doing this to hundreds of us Americans over the coming months, and as they lay-off thousands of employees, those trying to communicate with them will be waiting for hours on the phone, and never be able to resolve problems.

I, like many Americans, needed my credit card for making reservations for business travel, shopping at Costco, and purchasing business supplies.

We are going to see greater repercussions; other businesses rely on us using our credit cards online, and during holidays. It will be interesting to see what happens to this "house of interconnected cards" as the months roll on.

We taxpayers may have bailed out the banks, but the banks are holding us up with threats of cancellations, higher fees, and trumped up charges.

Beware of American Express. With my husband's advice, I took the scissors to the gold card last night, and I look forward to a class action suit against them!

• Sc
    sca Sep 16, 2008

Unauthorized charge on my American Express of $24.39. American Express reversed the charges. They have charged me 3 times by now. American Express is unable to prevent them from making more charges to my account without invalidating my card.

• Fr
    frustrated Nov 13, 2008

The same thing just happened to us after 20 years of having a gold card and 9 years a business card.
    We had a payment scheduled over the phone come out of the wrong bank account, so it was returned. We have 3 bank accounts registered for payment and the online overseas rep used the default one. Anyways they cancelled all cards.

• Mr
    Mrvoice Nov 14, 2008

The same thing just happen to my account. Today I open the mail to find my Amex Card with a 0 balance is canceled. This is a bunch of crap! I guess I should of never canceled my capital one and switched to American express.

• Valerie Nov 15, 2008

I have been an American Express customer for over 2 years. When I first opened my card my credit limit was $5000. I have been using the card regularly for the past few years and have NEVER made a late payment. My most recent credit limit WAS 18, 200. My balance stayed around 15, 000 to 16, 000. Obviously American Express was making some real nice money off of me. Just recently I got a nice commission bonus at work and decided to pay off the entire balance. When American Express got my payment they immediately dropped my credit limit to $1900!!!

When I called to investigate I spoke with Mrs. MacDonald in the credit decrease department. She told me that Experian sends American Express a summary of my credit report every 30 days. The most recent report caused American Express to drop my credit line. When I called Experian they were outraged that American Express told me that. The reality was that American Express ordered a full credit report and decided that based on my credit history (which has not changed) that they were going to drop my credit line. This woman Mrs. MacDonald lied to me on a recorded call and 'tried' to mislead me to believe that Experian had suggested to American Express to drop my credit line. AMERICAN EXPRESS LIES TO VALUED CUSTOMERS!!!

• Ra
    Ram Nov 27, 2008

Same thing with me.

They cancelled my account exactly after 7 days i received my card and by that time i started using the card . There is no notice or information provided to me till i call them.

I found FTC number ( federal trade comms) from other web blog, 1800-842-6929 any thought complaining here will work ?

• Ad
    Adam Dec 01, 2008

Amex Investor relations Dept; http://ir.americanexpress.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=64467&p=irol-contact

• Ca
    Carl Dec 04, 2008

My wife had her American Express Card for 7yrs years with no issues and I was added to her account for a while, The same thing happened to us. We were never late and paid the card off all the time. When we just paid it off recently and they cancelled our account on line with on notice or warning? We also could not understand the Indian guy AKA (Customer Support) on the phone to help us. When we finally got through and they said we had a dip in our credit score. They waited until got their all their money and cancelled our card for this reason. The funny thing is they gave us a credit spending limit increase a couple of months prior with no problems? I Will never or any of my family ever carry this crapy card. The bad economy is coming for them and I know they will come calling, we will be ready to apply elsewhere. My advice if you can live with out them Dump them fast, before they dump you. They will screw up your credit even if you are paying them as scheduled, its only a matter of time! There are a lot of good credit card companies out their willing to serve you.

Angry in Chicago Dec 08, 2008

I agree 200%!! I will never use American Express again. I have a Blue card and a Gold card (which has almost 40, 000 points) and have experienced such trauma from this company I will gladly participate in any class action suit against them. They revoked my flex pay on the Gold Card and reduced my credit limit on the Blue Card from $15, 000 to $500!! In August of this year I had my purse stolen with all my identity in it including all my credit cards. I called all three of the credit card companies to report the theft immediately after the theft. I spoke with people at AMEX 3 times over the next 3 days trying to make sure that an online pending payment for the Gold Card was not going to be adversely impacted by my closing the checking account that was also stolen. They assured me that as long as I made the payment from the new checking account on time, there would be no problem. Well here we are 3 months later and all of the above happens. When I finally get through the original phone rep to a supervisor, I find out that they did all these things to me based on two things: first, I had an NSF on the August payment (the one I had to reschedule due to closing the stolen account) and second, on November 24th, I asked to have the flex pay removed from the Gold card and made a phone payment of $200 at the same time. The balance due at that time was $251.16. The representative at this time did not tell me I needed to make the entire payment or it would be considered late. Therefore, I showed a "Past Due Balance" of $51.16!!! I have had the Gold Card since 2001 and have never, EVER been late, always paying well above the "minimum due" each month. I finally asked to contact a person of authority at American Express and was given the name and address of the VP of Customer Relations, MICHELLE GETHERS-CLARK in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I don't have much hope of getting anything resolved but I do know that I will NEVER do business with AMEX again and will strongly advise any business associates and/or friends to likewise, avoid this truly unethical and poor run company. Joy

saurabh ashish Dec 30, 2008

Hi I am Saurabh and this is a letter that was sent by me to the SBI Credit card department. This contains my bad experience with this bank. i have been victimised for showing being honest to the bank and the debt taken. Kindly go through the following:

To,
    American Express Bank
    Delhi-110001

Subject: Surrender of Credit Card No.376939900891008

Dear Sir,

This is in regards to the conversation I had with your Customer Care Executive, who confirmed me that I am liable to pay an amount of Rs.15000 (approx.) to your bank.
    Which includes Credit Card’s costing (Rs.2500), which was earlier told to be free of cost.

I would also like to tell you that in the previous days, I was been harassed by your recovery agent on phone, the person tend to nasty on phone which included abusive words also. The confirmation of which can be done by conversation’s recording
    That I have made.
    I shall inform you that I was eligible enough to take your services to a full stretch after this evidence, and bring it in the eyes of law. Its not that I was not willing to repay the money, but was not in a position to do so.

Also, I was been cheated in respect to the Card limit. It was told to me that the Card limit is Rs.50000, but this was changed to 13000 without a prior intimidation to me.
    I am really disappointed with the lethargic and careless services being provided to your customers.

Finally, I must inform you that the actual amount that I am supposed to pay is Rs.8100 only, on which your Bank has levied card costing (I was told its free of cost) and some other charges that are fictional to me.
    To which I am attaching a cheque that contains the amount that I am actually supposed to pay i.e. Rs 8100, further to which I am surrendering my card also.

Hope you work better at least in this respect.

Thanks & Regards,

Mob: 9313244765

saurabh ashish Dec 30, 2008

Date: 17-Dec-2008

To
    M/s. SBI Cards & Payments Services Pvt Ltd.
    11, Parliament Street,
    New Delhi-01,

Subject: Refer to the Demand Notice Sent- SBI Card Account No. 0004317575220113295

Sir/Madam,

This in reference to the snail mail sent at my Address yesterday.
    I am an unfortunate Credit Card holder of your Bank with the Credit Card number: 0004317575229008587 and with an outstanding due of Rs.34715.47.

Now, firstly I would like to clear one of your doubts. In the letter sent to me by Lawyers Inc. Advocates & Solicitors, It is mentioned that after agreeing to the terms and conditions of the bank (i.e.regular and timely payments of the charges) yet my intentions were of avoiding making any payments, In such a case I would not made the earlier paymentsand also would not have updated my address and phone number in the records.

Now coming down to the actual story.
    Your ESTEEMED bank offered me a credit card with a limit of Rs.47000.00
    On which, the current Outstanding is Rs.34715.47 (In today's date)

In the month of June 2008, i had made a payment of Rs.5000 (against the outstanding of Rs.30000.00 approx.)
    Whereas, If you check the records thr principal amount does not exceeds Rs.15000.00 approx.

Earlier I was promised by your Customer card department a waiver of Rs.10000.00, Against which I was asked to pay the rest of amount.
    Agreeing to this I made a payment of Rs. 43, 700.00 approx. But the promised was not done(the waiver was not given).

Now that I have become a victim of your bank and this vicious circle, i then e-mailed your bank about my shortcomings and also about the promise made by your Customer care department, In return to it i received a snail mail dated May 22, 2008 from the Manager- Customer services Stating that my request cannot be accepted.

Further I have received calls from your recovery department accusing and abusing me. I also have a 4 hour telephonic conversation in which your associate has used a very highly abusive language. And now as recent as day before yesterday I received a call from 011-45591800 number and the so to say associate of your generous organization used abusive language at the very start of the conversation and closing it with a life threatening statement!

Sir/Madam, kindly answer a few of my queries:

1. In which Agreement is it mentioned that what should be done or how to repay when there are major shortcomings?
    2. Is a customer liable enough to hear abusive language from some nerds appointed by the Bank for recovery?
    3. For an amount of Rs.37000.00 approx, Is the Bank recovery given a liberty to threaten or kill a person?
    4. What about the promises commited by the bank in terms of waiver of foolish interests put in for making extra money?
    5. Who would be responsible if I take any extreme action against myself due to the threatenings and abuses made by the bank?
    6. Last question, By all the accusations and abuses and the threatenings given on phone, dont you think that instead of you to take a leagal action
    against me, I can sue your organization for Character Assassination, Mental trauma, and threaten to kill?

I am a reponsible person and that shows off by my writing my concern to you. I would not like to eat u the money of the bank. I am ready to pay in the following possible ways:

1) FULL PAYMENT: I am ready to make the entire payment of thr NOW outstanding amount mentioned above.
    For this I shall issue Four - Six PDC from the next Month onwards (January 2008). At the submission of the PDCs I want the Bank to provide me the clearance letter as
    well as activate

2) PRINCIPAL AMOUNT: Other option that i can opt for is to make the full payment of the PRINCIPAL amount that would not exceed Rs.15000.00 approx. On this I
    would want the bank to issue me the clearance letter on the day of making the payment also reissue me the card.

Kindly answer the mentioned queries also let me know if something can be worked upon the mentioned ways of repaying the bank.
    But if you still want to question my intentions then i will advise you to take the actions necessary, but in the most legal way.

Waiting for your quick reply.
    Thanking You,

Saurabh Ashish

• Lc
    lcerezo Jan 25, 2009

I will never again do business with AMEX. I applied for their card through Costco 3 years ago when their reps came to my employer to promote AMEX/Costco credit card.
    AMEX Corporation has an arrogant attiude and have unethical business practice. I tried to use my AMEX card yesterday at Costco's gas station and the transaction was declined. Thank goodness I had my bank debit card. Since I pay all my bills on time and have excellent credit history, I was shocked, humiliated and angry since this is going to blemish my credit history. I immediately called AMEX to inquire as to why the transaction was declined and the rep stated it was because they have cancelled my account. I asked her for a reason and why I was not given a prior notice but she was unable to give answer. She was, however, able to confirmed that my credit limit with them is $6, 000, with an outstanding balance of $200 and that the account is current and no delinquencies. I was only using the AMEX card to purhase gas, nothing else.
    I called again and spoke with another rep and was told that even though my account with AMEX is current they cancelled my account due to a negative credit report from another creditor which he declined to give the name. Told him I just checked my credit report in November, 2008 which showed no delinqencies with any creditors and have an above average credit score and there may be a mistake. He told me check my credit report again. I immediately pulled my credit report from 3 credit bureaus and found an error made recently by a creditor I will deal with and have them correct the erroneous error. Even after the error is corrected on my credit report, I will not request AMEX to reinstate my account. Our relationship is permanently damaged and I will join with any Class Action Lawsuits. I will report this to Costco and will advise my colleagues and friends not do business with AMEX.

• Al
    Alexei K Feb 02, 2009

I wish I can tell the whole wide world about this~!!

AMEX Sucks

I have been Faithful Customer of AMEX Jet Blue for 3 years
    Never had a late payment, paid most of them in full.
    I had over $100 worth of reward point ready to claim
    but they are no longer available because AMEX closed my account
    without any notice. I called the customer service, and they didn't give me any reasonable explanation and said they could do nothing about it. I asked for supervisor, same thing. Never ever rely on AMEX...

• Fo
    formeramexcustomer Feb 03, 2009

Amex also cancelled my credit card with out calling or mailing me anything. They said it had to do with my credit report. I had over $400 worth of reward dollars at costco ready to claim on the next statement. I'm in on any class action suit that is being filed.

• Sm
    smos72781 Feb 13, 2009

Looks like they struck again . I just wish they had the balls to admit their company is falling apart, instead of insulting people by trying to say they had bad credit. This is total BS. I think they are just getting rid of people with rewards due...

madd_as_hell Feb 16, 2009

UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH! I'm so pissed right now!

I have never been late and have paid my balance in full! They canceled my card due to review of my credit report and the fact that I paid the min payment for the last few months. Now it's going to take 7 yrs for this cancellation to leave my credit report! Even though I paid on time. I spoke with a supervisor and basically nothing was done. This is sooooooo unfair. Who can we complain to? I want a class action suit now!!!

• Newest member to the club here! 10 years, no late payments, no overlimit, usually double minimum payment. Wife used it this morning, I tried at lunch and declined. Just made a payment of about 85% of balance and was trying to charge $3.52 at the gas station. Called to find out what was going on. Told I was in collections (even after receiving that large payment 2 days ago?). Asked why and was told many factors. Only one they gave was high average balance. I asked if they get their money and they get it on time? Yes but...many factors. I was told it was cancelled because I used it. But like others here, it happened after they got all or a huge chunk of what was owed.

Do what I did...call them back and tell them that since the customer / business relationship is over, they are no longer authorized to use your email, phone, and snail mail information. I informed them that if I see anything from them in my email or snailmail box after the balance is paid off, my lawyer will be in contact.

• Ta
    tammy Mar 05, 2009

AMEX is borderline fraud in their practices period! It is stereotyping and it is wrong!
    I received correspondence from them today informing me that my account was canceled. I contacted them to see what the heck and they responded that it was due to inactivity and some nonsense about my credit score. I already pulled my credit report before calling them so I would have my ducks in a row and informed the representative that there was NOTHING negative on my credit report, that I was staring at it while on the phone with her! She transferred me to some "supervisor" who informed me that it had nothing to do with my credit score, it was due to inactivity. I told her I wanted the account reinstated immediately and that I would close it personally as to not affect my fico. Than I was transferred to another "supervisor" that said she would reinstate my account for 25.00!!! I declined the offer. And do you know those people had the nerve to ask me to apply and open a new AMEX account with them?????
    I have the right to NOT rack up my credit cards and be financially responsible as I have been my entire life! My fico mirrors my financial management and to be penalized by AMEX or any other company for having zero balances is NOT cool! I will watch my fico for the next couple of months, and I do hope AMEX's fraudulent business practice doesn't affect it. No wait, maybe I do...

• Ir
    irunnoft Mar 14, 2009

I just paid my balance off in full about five days ago. I went online to check my balance and available credit only to find I had a message in the message center for my account. The message said "account has been cancelled". I called to find out about this message and was told that it was due to a periodic review of my credit history. I am not so angry that I no longer have credit with AMEX because they are pretty much ###, but I am pissed about it negatively effecting my FICO score. I've been trying to repair my score since I almost went bankrupt in 2002. I had never been late with a payment to AMEX once. Not one time. In fact, I'd been diligent to pay my other three credit cards on time as well. So this is the repayment. My question is how much will this effect my FICO score? Would it be better if I closed the account myself or does it make a difference. It will be reported as closed and with a zero balance.

• Up
    Upset Mar 16, 2009

I received an American Express Business Blue card in October with a $28000 Credit Limit. I used it to start my new business. One of my charges which was approved and I have receipts and approval codes was the sign for my business for $4300 which was made in September. In November American Express lowered my credit limit to what my balance was at the time stating that I wasn't paying them enough. My payments were always more than the minimum and on time. In Feb. they called the sign company and told them that none of their clients charges were paid to them all the way back to last June and they were to call their clients to have them recharge. They had already lowered our limit to the balance and would not redo the previous approved charge and also stating that they had no copy of the original approved charge nor a record of the phone call to the merchant. Everyone knows that American Express records their calls. They have put me in a credit situation where now the merchant wants their money. I was told by an attorney that the charge was an agreement with American Express and the merchant and that the merchant had to honor us with a payment arrangement that I would have been paying to American Express. Does anyone know what can be done here?

Not only that, my husband and I had American Express about 20 years ago (3 cards) and because they rechecked our credit report and said that we were behind one payment with another card company, they canceled our accounts with them. What made this so bad, the report they received was incorrect and had been corrected. I'd like to know if there is a class action suit out there against them because American Express is now defaming Americans.

anonymous Mar 17, 2009

After my situation, (which is posted above) with the cancellation from AMEX I contacted a local credit counseling agency to see how much it would affect my fico score. The agency rep that I spoke with stated that it would affect my fico, probably not as much as in previous years economy though. He also stated that fico realizes the practices that the bigger banks are implementing currently and are factoring that in. He also stated to me that AMEX is not the only bank that is cutting credit limits right now on consumers credit cards that it is becoming common practice among them. And it is all factions of the credit consumer, not just the lower fico scorers. I personally can attest to that!!!
    For myself, after AMEX's behavior and what the credit guy told me and everything else that is going on, I am done with credit for the next 3-4 years. I have closed out several credit accounts in the last couple of weeks, all good standing and with zero balances upon closing. A couple of them I have had for 20 years. Ha, it's called my "stick it to corporate America plan!" I think everyone should do it at this point. It's going to get worse folks, this is only the beginning!

• Re
    Responsible 2 Jul 03, 2017

@anonymous This is the truth!!! The most honest statement. We need to stop supporting these banks. This just happened to me. Card holder for 14 years. 5 hours on the phone. No one can say nothing but a robotic response.

• Lo
    loyal customer Mar 18, 2009

Same here. Five years of impeccable credit with AMEX with numerous offers for the Platinum Card. Have held the Gold card for about 3 years. Received in the mail a notice of cancellation indicating that not only was my card cancelled but that the cancellation of the card may be reported to credit agencies negatively. So their self imposed cancellation (their doing) could potentially affect my credit negatively. Upon calling I learned that they would credit back my automatic renewal issued last month of $125 but cancellation results in points being lost. Complete discrimination...all credit cards are in good standing. However my mortgage is currently in modification mode due to my husbands loss of a job. AMEX cares only about retrieving the minimal balance due..no loyalty, discriminatory and without merit considering the outstanding credit history with them.

• Mo
    mojo Mar 21, 2009

i agree totally.

i just had my card canceled without notice. i found out by having it denied when buying gas.

so i called amex. like everyone else here, i ran into a brick wall. in my case, they said it was because i was behind on "a few payments" and that this was reflected in my credit report.

so i got my credit report and noticed that i had a single instance of "delinquency." this delinquency occurred while transferring my phone bill to my employer, no doubt. the last time i spoke with my cell phone company, they said i owed $0. now i found out that apparently i owe them $80 (which i did not know about before this). i will be straightening this out with my cell company. but in the meantime, i have amex affecting my score negatively because of basically an $80 misunderstanding.

so of course i was transferred to an agent in the responsible lender actions dept. she proceeded to tell me that i wasn't responsible because i didn't pay my bills. i told her that i resented the statement because aside from the alleged $80, i was not late with anyone in years, and never late with amex. she insisted i had "a number" of delinquencies, to which i agreed that "one" is indeed "a number." she talked over me a few times and i advised her that i didn't appreciate it. but i ended the call, as i could tell that i was getting nowhere with her.

of course, she did tell me to fix the situation and apply for a card again.

odd that i keep receiving invitations to join their gold card membership. i also received an increase of my overdraft protection because of my "excellent credit."

thanks amex. thanks for not listening. thanks for canceling me based on a single incident of alleged delinquency for $80. you must be really worried about me not paying back the less than $500 i owe you.

• Al
    Alexa Orellana Mar 23, 2009

On Saturday I recieved a letter saying that my card was cancelled and called them this morning. They almost hang on me, so unrespectfull. Now I am so worry because after reading all this comments I know that I don't have hope. AMEX has damage my credit score after all this time I had tried so hard to pay all my credit cards. I think they cancel once the credit card is paid in full.

joe Mar 23, 2009

wow...common theme. I have (i should say had) a gold card, always paid more than the required payment, paid the balance in full last week, went to burger king and got denied. I laughed at the guy and gave him a different card. Called Amex and they told me they cancelled my account conveniently the same day I paid it off and explained that even though I had never been late with payment and my credit was excellent, they decided that I was high risk and based that on me charging more than I normally do last month even though i paid it in full as always. I will go back to using my visa signature card because they are easier to deal with and not so sneaky. It sucks though because this card wasn't open for more than 3 years so im sure my FICO will take a hit. these guys suck.

• Mo
    mojo Mar 25, 2009

update:

i called my cell company to find out the deal there. they understood the situation and assured me it will be fixed.

so in the end, amex literally canceled my card for no reason...

Chai Mar 25, 2009

On March 23rd, 2009 American Express cancelled my account stating that I have too much debt. This is only after a few months after opening the account and I always make my payments on time for every card I have for well over 2 decades. Excellent credit means must mean nothing to American Express. Oh well, I'll use my other cards and never deal with these idiots again. If American Express tries to negatively affect my FICO then this can be disputed through Any of the 3 credit agencies.

Jennifer Mar 27, 2009

New member of the club here. Had the card since 1993. Just paid off the entire balance ($2900) after a bad stretch (job loss). Used the card on Saturday, then on Sunday it didn't work. So I call and they tell me it was canceled. They actually canceled my card on a Sunday, with no notice, days after I paid off the entire balance. Said it was due to high debt load. I explain I just got a new job and paid off some significant bills - (I ran up a few cards during my unemployment). I fumed at customer service -- finally got someone who suggested that I apply for a Blue card and specifcally request a low limit ($500). I do that and am denied. My credit score really took a hit during my unemployment and now this cancellation will be on my report. I want to sue these people. I literally have no credit card now.

• Rs
    R Star Mar 28, 2009

Same story except account was in good standing and letter was not sent until after I called to question what was going on. And to top it off, I was treated very direspectfully. The representative actually told me that she did not have to explain why they (Amex) did what they did, just that my debt was to high in other areas. I told her that my debt had not changed for years, she went on to tell me that that was my problem. I would love to find out who is beginning a class action against this situation. It is my understanding that have Amex cancel you ruions your credit equal to defaulting on a mortgage. Let me know if this has changed.

• Dr
    drburns Apr 08, 2009

We were always current with out bill and as of 4/7/09 american express has cancelled our card. We contacted them and they stated after a review of our credit report they decided to take this adverse action. The only way we found out was we attempted to use the card and it was declined. It is kind of funny we have other cards and none have been cancelled. Just as other consumers have stated they cancelled it just as we had paid a large amount on the balence. What has happend to customer service?

• Aj
    ajacks101 Apr 12, 2009

This is ridiculous. The same thing happened with me today, "no we can't convert your $125/annual fee Gold card to one w/out a fee, we can covert it to a Green card with a lower $55/annual fee that still has Membership Rewards", then 10 minutes later it's $40 more a year for Membership Rewards...I ask for a supervisor and another 5 minutes later the "supervisor" comes on and says their system is down and they cannot do anything for me.
    We're in a catch 22, because we're afraid to cancel our cards for fear of it reducing our FICO scores...when will FICO realize that we are more solvent than our Amex "creditor". The only reason I have the cards open is because I don't know what it will do to my FICO score to close them. I don't use them, or need them for ANYTHING whatsoever. Perhaps they're starting to realize that less and less people depend on them...they have no idea how to make money and they are reacting out of fear...I don't know...and I wish there was ONE place we could all go to to find out what impact closing these accounts would have on our credit scores.
    Suze Orman or SOMEBODY needs to call out these corporate bandits publicly so they put their ducks in a row and treat their ethical customers fairly.
    "Fair" Isaac Corporation???
    Doesn't seem "fair" to me...

• Di
    disappointed-with-AmEx Apr 29, 2009

Same with me. I had a gold card since 2006 and was a faithful customer. Loved the card and customer service and website accessibility! But I logged on yesterday to find it canceled.

After a talk with a customer service rep or FOUR, I found out it was due to something bad on my credit report. I asked for specifics (since I had my credit report pulled from Experian in March) and the rep said (1) they only receive the summary page from Experian so there are no specifics and (2) it was canceled to the "high level of debt". This is ridiculous because I have less debt that when American Express first accepted my application for the card!

So, ok, fine. I asked for a partial membership fee refund (membership renewed in Nov08, cancelled Apr09) but they said since THEY cancelled the membership, they couldn't give a refund. This is completely unfair! I understand waiving my membership if I cancelled it midyear but if they WON'T provide the service I PAID FOR, I think I should get something back.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Needless to say, AmEx will have to PAY ME if they want me to be their customer again. I am severely disappointed with their actions. It's not like they're the only credit card company around. I will simply take my business elsewhere.

Jeff May 04, 2009

American Express cancelled my account for NO REASON and with NO ADVANCE NOTICE and I'm really ticked because it is the only credit card I can use at the Costco gas stations. I have never missed a payment or been late and I always pay off my balance well before the due date. This means I am not profitable for them because I don't pay finance charges. My credit score now is actually better than it was when I opened the account! They claim a "review of my credit history" was the reason for the cancellation, but they refuse to specify what. (CYA.) The call center agent in India I was speaking to was obviously reading (badly) from a script. A bill in Congress has been introduced to prohibit these unethical practices (like "universal default" and upping your interest rate on existing balances) but it will not take effect for a while so AmEx is rushing to dump customers while they still can, legally. If you have an AmEx and want to keep it, run a small balance on it until then because it seems (from internet chatter) that they only cancel you when your balance is paid off because they are afraid that you will quit paying after they cancel you. Better yet, close your account, boycott AmEx and tell all the businesses you patronize they should stop accepting it! ESPECIALLY COSTCO WHO GIVES CUSTOMERS NO CHOICE! Delta Airlines has dumped AmEx for their SkyMiles credit card and are going with Visa, who was the affinity card provider for Northwest. To hear more horror stories just Google "American Express credit card canceled." Can you say, "class action suit? VISA... it's everywhere you want to be!

jennorth May 05, 2009

SHAME ON YOU AMEX!
    I have been a customer with AMEX for 25 years! I just got a cancellation notice stating that my credit rating was the issue. I made my payments on time and gave them their money back, and this is how they treat good customers? I was late a few times with other credit lines, but only once during a really bad month. They punish me for that? The company I was late with 30 days only did NOT!
    They still consider me a customer.
    We all need such small lines of credit...for emergenies... If they are hurting why not just decrease credit limits? not cancel them!
    WARNING...Amex will punish you even if you are on-time with them! Unfair

• H8
    H8AMEX May 08, 2009

I too am a victim of AMEX canceling my Platinum Card. Their reasoning was too much debt... So they have to and add insult to injury by reporting this cancellation to the credit bureaus. Not only throw you out, but run over you, when you're down.

• Sy
    Sylvia May 22, 2009

OH my god! I JUST got home from Costco and experienced the exact same thing! I've been a customer of American express for over five years and I use it ALL THE TIME to make purchases. Each month, I pay off my balance in full (even though it's not required, I just hate paying interest). Today, I went to Costco and renewed my membership using my AMEX card...everything was fine...Then, I went grocery shopping and about 45 minutes later when I went up to pay at costco, they told me the card wasn't being accepted. Never did I once think that for a moment they would have cancelled me. I called them and spoke to probably someone in India who I could barely understand...she told me they cancelled me due to my credit score. I explained to her that my credit was good and that I'd NEVER been late the whole time I had my card. She said "Well, you have to check your credit then and if you see a mistake then you can fax us a revised copy from them."

I then asked to speak to a supervisor (since I was standing at the end of the costco line with everyone looking at me like I was a loser) and she gave me the same excuse. All these years, I've nEVER had a problem and they just cancelled me with NO notification or anything. This is ridiculous! If someone finds out if there's a class action suit, I'd like to be involved as well...I use this card to get points and I had over a hundred dollars in point waiting for me next time. I'm soooo upset and embarrassed!

• Ya
    Yadira May 31, 2009

This is just ridiculous. My credit score is good, 760. First of all, I have never been late on any payments. Yesteday I got a letter telling me it was cancelled because my debt is too high and because a lot of companies were looking at my credit in a recent review of my credit with experian, yes I bought a home last year and a car 1 month ago. SO what? I always pay on time. I always pay the full balance. This is not right, nor professional.

• Bi
    bine2 Jun 15, 2009

The same thing happened to us. First they reduced our credit limit with no obvious reason and last week the canceled the card altogether. We found that out after we tried paying a few times and the card didn't go through. After all the comments I read online, I'm actually happy I'm rid of the card. However, they also canceled about $70 we had accumulated in rewards. I'm all for a law suit agains AE.

• Ro
    Roluc Aug 14, 2009

Just received a letter from American Express that my intrest rate was going up. I had cancelled my card several months ago and this rate increase is on exiting balances as well. Like the others that say "How does the new law affect this company?" Evidently it doesn't.
    I called the company and told them never to send me any of their garbarge in the mail. I do not want to acknowledge that I ever did business with them. Never and I'll say it again, never will they get my business again. I strongely advise any consumer to shop elsewhere, where they are decent, respectible and honest companys. This is one example why our country is in the mess that it is. Not mentioning quite a few more. The credit companies, deceitful banks and corrupt govenment have screwed the American people thru the roof.

• Wi
    Wintertoo Aug 24, 2009

Recieved an e mail from Delta airlines that our old visa with NW no longer good for airmiles and had to switch to American Express for skymiles. Did this. Tried a balance trancsfer which took wells fargo a month to process. In the meantime I inquired about making a payment. told I had to wait until a statement was mailed. As soon as it was recieved i returned a check promptly. In the meantime I was reported to the credit bureau for $50 over limit (due to the interest charge which info was not avail to me) .This lowered my excellent credit score and affected my mortgage refi interest. I in good faith did what I was told and waited for a statement and was not allowed to make a first payment until then..I do not recommend getting American Express and Delta goofed. Very few merchants honor AE anyway.

• Eh
    E.Hughes Sep 23, 2009

Add me as another victim of AMEX. A platinum card holder since 2007, I have never been late and had consistent monthly charges of $6k to $10k...all paid in full each month. Same with the Blue card I had with them, not much of a balance though. They too cancelled me with no notice. My ex and I have an old CC account which we are battling over which has some delinquency, but has been paid on. After reviewing my Credit report, AMEX says that my balances to available credit is too high and there is a negative comment from another CC company. So what! AMEX has alway been paid on time by me and they have had there $500 fee paid too. Not to mention th 60k in miles they owe me. Very poor business practice. Is there room for another "AMEX" type card for those who can show they will pay?

AMEX must really be in serious financial trouble to cut off customers with perfect track records. Count me in on any legal actions as well.

E.Hughes in TX

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices