Allstate InsuranceCondo insurance policy years of major over charges by local agency

W Aug 19, 2020

In 2005 we setup our condo insurance policy through Allstate Miami Beach agent Joseph D. Conway Inc. Our condo met all requirements for discounts regarding sprinkler systems, alarms and portal fire retardant dispensers. Nothing changed over the next 14 years except for improvements on the systems. The Conway agency was made aware of all this from the start, however they did not note it on our annual applications. It was only by accident that I discovered this last fall. I discovered we had been over paying $400-600 per year for every year we've had the policy with Conway. We met with Conway in person and below are the follow-up emails:

From: [protected]@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:24 PM
To: Conway, Joseph
Cc: [protected]@msn.com
Subject: [External] Fwd: All State Condo Policy St. Johns

Hi Joe,
When Willie and I met with you on November 6th, (you acknowledged that your agency was at fault) for the error on our original application, which has resulted in our being overcharged more than $6, 000.00 since 2005. The fault, you said, was with your original agent who completed and submitted the application, because she did not note that we had fire sprinklers in the apartment and the entire building. As a result, we've been overpaying hundreds of dollars each year since 2005. (This year, once the error was corrected thanks to Willie's intervention, we saved about $650.00)
You called St. Johns while we were in the office and asked for a retroactive credit. You warned us that it would probably be denied initially, but said you would take it up the ladder to higher and higher authorities. And then, you said you'd get back to us. So, I was very disappointed to receive this "form letter" email - addressed to me but sent to Willie - from Elba Granja. Willie and I had been expecting to hear back from you directly. And given the circumstances, I would think that any correspondence from your office at this point would be accurate - since inaccuracy in the past has led to the problem we're dealing with right now.
We assume that you are still "taking it up the ladder" and that something will ultimately be done to rectify this situation. We definitely expect some level of credit from St. John's and/or Allstate for this costly error.
Please give us an update yourself, as promised. We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible. In the meantime, have a nice Thanksgiving!
Best,
Sheila Quinlin

Conway Reply:
Conway, Joseph

• Updated by Willie Cone · Aug 19, 2020

Second part that did not go with original complaint:
    Reply from Conway Agency Miami Beach
    I’m sorry if there was any miscommunication. At no time have I ever acknowledged fault on the parts of my agency. This issue was first brought to my attention in 2019. You have since been issued the credits for the 2019 policy. As you are aware, your policy was reviewed and signed back in 2005. At no time from 2005 until 2019 was this issue ever brought to our attention. As we have previously advised you, our office has no record of any communication regarding this issue in 2015. It’s unfortunate that you did not catch this when you reviewed your policy when it was signed back in 2005. As discussed, in an effort to see if this matter could be corrected I contacted the insurance company to see if anything could be done. We are currently waiting to see if the insurance company can do anything to correct your oversight. As soon as we hear back we will advise you accordingly.
    Joseph D Conway
    ALLSTATE Exclusive Agent
    141 Alton Road Miami Beach, FL 33139
    Phone [protected] Fax [protected]
    We received no further communications from Conway and moved our policy to another Allstate agency and are now paying about $750 less per year than with Conway. We have the same policy with the same insurer. In total we overpaid $6-8000 during our 14 years with Conway due to failure of his agents to include this fire prevention discount from the beginning. We checked in with them almost every year during renewal and often spoke with someone new who was now handling our policy. In short the Conway agent failed us and did not represent the kind of customer service we expected from an Allstate representative. In the end he made no real effort to reimburse us for what he clearly said in person was their mistake. At this point can Allstate doing anything to make our situation right.

Willie Cone 305/710-1120 [email protected]