Menu
Air India
reviews & complaints

Air India
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

601 complaints
59 resolved 542 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Air India. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
10:39 am EST

Air India - terrible service

Where to begin...
My husband and I set out on our first holiday to india 12 days ago flying return with air india. Our first flight was to delhi which connected to our second flight down to our destination in sunny goa. To start with the flight was delayed by three hours this has been my first long haul flight therefore I am not used to such delays as flights in europe as they don't tend to give you much grief. Anyway we landed in delhi 9 hours later.. The flight was pleasant, i'll give them that, however when we reached delhi my husband's main luggage was nowhere to be seen. We originally had seven hours between connecting flights in which we decided maybe we could look around delhi and relax. Turns out those hours were precious as we needed to somehow find my husbands lost bag and allow for the three hour delay. After about an hour to spare we finally boarded our flight to goa in hope they'd send the bag over to our accommodation and that it hadn't been stolen. Again, I can't complain about the flight itself and luckily the bag turned up in goa airport once we had arrived without notice even though my husband's phone number was clearly given on the baggage handle.

After a fantastic holiday it was time to board our first flight back to delhi 12 days later. This is where it got a hell of a lot worse. The staff don't seem to care or show any respect for their customers - particularly women which really surprises me. We all boarded plane one and sat there stationary for two hours until they discovered there was a problem with the breaks and we were all to get off and get our luggage back. This procedure was extremely unorganised.. There was an angry mob of passengers surrounding just one air india official desperate for answers and information about what we were to do about having missed our connections. Again.. The attitude of all staff was unacceptable and made us all feel very uneasy.
8 hours later we boarded our delayed flight to delhi having queued up like cattle to check our bags in again on to the same plane as before. The system was atrocious.. No barriers to organise queues, people arguing tired and irate.. Pushing in. The process was slow.. We were a queuing for at least an hour and the person at the desk had to re-enter all our ticket information individually and not just that, they could barely type and used the index finger which I guess was the reason for the speed of it all.
We reached delhi on time.. Only to then discover that we couldn't get our connecting flight to england until the following day. So there we all were changing tickets and sorting out complimentary hotel stays with a number of incredibly rude staff who didn't seem to care in the slightest. One of the women we had met had missed her virgin flight to london and had been informed she could too have a hotel stay for their # up. This turned out to be a complete lie, the manager was called and the poor lady who was also pregnant tried to fight her side but even he didn't care. We managed to look after her ourselves as no one working for air india seemed capable of this. The woman was so desperate to get home and she was offered a direct flight to london for £1000 which she accepted and paid for. To our horror.. This turned out to be a hoax... The flight was due to stop through china first and was none refundable. Eventually she gave up and stayed with us and hopefully got back the following day having paid for yet a third flight. Whether she will get her £1000 back is debatable.. From what i've seen it looks unlikely.
Anyway.. We arrived at the hotel which was a complete dump. The place was freezing, there was no bar or hot water for a shower. The only way to get a drink after our horrendous day was to ask some weird shady young man who worked there to go to the shop. The prices of the drinks were double so he was clearly pocketing half the money himself. We were given a free meal.. Curry again in an empty dining room which looked like it was made up for some awful wedding. What topped it off was the reheated curry for breakfast from the night before... Obviously we all left as early as possible and got back to the airport for a macdonalds. So there we were feeling quite happy that we may actually get on a plane to england soon.. But no. Another three hour delay.
No sympathy from any staff.. Nothing.
I'm not one to moan but the experience with air india has been truly outrageous and they continue to get away with this as they're so big around the world. I've heard numerous bad publicity since this experience and we shall never ever be using them again and hope to spread the word across the uk if not further. Don't bother with them they're a very selfish company who deserve very little.

1:29 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My terrible experience affair with Air India (Start alliance) continues!!! After Air India became a Star alliance partner, for some weird reason based on my years of travelling with star alliance airlines, I assumed that Air India has turned around its operations to qualify the elite status and booked several individual and family travel in recent few...

8:47 am EST

Air India - poor services & behaviour of crew

travelled by AI 126 from Chicago to New Delhi on 23rd Nov’14 (PNR No YEFGE, Seat No 49 K) which turned out to be one of the worst ever flight experience I had. (Aircraft, 777 Boeing with name Chattisgarh)

1. Right from the beginning of the flight ….entertainment system of most of the seats, reading light on my seat and a toilet in that segment was non functional. In addition, table was broken and rested on my lap when opened, seat reclining system did not hold….etc…etc. Non functional entertainment system especially on long flights has become order of the day with AI.

I am surprised that what kind of maintenance and checks are carried out for such long haul flights. It was just like travelling in an ordinary bus with everything rattling. I think AI maintenance is just not supposed to check engine & airframe, inside cabin also needs equal maintenance.

2. Inspite of being ONGC having a corporate tie-up with AI thru Balmer Lawrie and I being a Silver card holder of Flying returns, no effort was made by crew to relocate me to other better seat.

3. Level of cleanliness and hygiene in the cabin and toilets was pathetic even for long haul international flight like this. No wonder, one of our senior minister rightly called economy class as “Cattle class” as he must have experienced the standards and hospitality of Air India in economy section. I was ashamed to listen to comments of few Americans on this flight about standards of hygiene aboard that flight.

4. To make the matter worse, this flight had one of the worst set of flight attendants who did not respond to the repeated calls and surprisingly most of them walked past ignoring call lights until they were signaled and called for simple things like water. Most of the passengers had to help themselves to get water while cabin crew just relaxed. Head of the cabin crew was available to speak to me only after 8 hrs of flight that too after I walked to first class section from my seat to apprise her of the problems in rear section of the aircraft.

5. When I asked feedback form, it was given after repeated reminders and realizing that I was unhappy with services, I saw crew member who collected it tear it & threw it with thrash….that is why Air India is oblivious of response of passengers. Feedback system needs to be overhauled with numbers printed on forms so that responses filled in any flight can be accounted for and cabin crew are compelled to submit each response form.

Air India crew is famous for being callous to needs of passengers without realizing that they get salary from money paid by these passengers whom they treat so badly…maybe because of job security. AI flights to Gulf are a glaring example how passengers who are mostly labourers are ill treated and mocked at by your crew. I suggest senior level board member should travel in disguise in few flights of AI in economy to know bare truth about things mentioned above.

I suggest that Air India which is already in bad shape and before it loses it’s market further, strict action be taken on cabin crew members of this flight to set an example for others so that they strive to improve the services.

6:34 am EST

Air India - misbehaviour counter staff

A very Embarrassing experience...
On 18/11/2014 while i was in at the check-in counter at Mangalore Airport for a flight to Mumbai and then a connecting flight to Jeddah
I had a handbag which was weighing around 11 kgs, the lady (Ms. Susheela) at the counter in a rude voice told me that she cannot allow me to carry this as handbag. I requested her that it is very important for me to carry this as handbaggage and I told her that this is same bag with more weight I carried when I traveled a month back when I traveled from Jeddah to Mangalore. She said that she don’t know that she will not allow to carry this as handbag. I told her that I want to talk to her supervisor or Manager, she was very worked up and with anger went and after sometime brought with her a duty manager. I could understand that they have teamed up. I spoke to the manager and I told him that it is very important for me carry this bag as handbag (after I removed the blazer it was weighing only 10.1 kgs) . I told him it is overweight by only 3 kgs. He was very polite but adamant and was not willing to listen. Subsequently I removed few more items from the bag and I went to the another lady who was very nice and polite and called me to her and accepted and gave my boarding pass. I thanked her for her concern and customer centric approach and while I was asking her the name of the adamant lady who first attended to me, the adamant lady who was seated in the next counter overheard this and was furious and called the security personnel and complained him that I was asking her name . The security personnel (air India staff) who started abusing me and told me that why I needed her name, I told him that I want to write to the air india about my experience . he started telling me that I can’t ask anybodys’s name and he started yelling in front of all staff and he was asking me what I am going to write he said that I can write whatever/whoever I want (he was meaning that he doesn’t care) realizing that he is ill mannered and doesn’t have or not trained in basic courtesy to talk to passengers . As I was walking towards the security check he was yelling that he will call the police. In fact I was the one who wanted to lodge a complaint against his misbehavior but I could not afford to lose the flight as there was important meeting for me attend next day in Jeddah.
Few points to note.
1. First of all it was nowhere mentioned in the ticket that only 7 kgs were allowed as handbag. As I traveled for the past 11 years in various airlines and various countries never was I stopped to carry the handbag since it was 2 or 3 kgs more, generally other airlines it is usually online check-in and my handbag was small and was designed to be carried as handbag.
2. And this bag I could not afford to lose while transferring the baggages from domestic to international airlines as I mentioned earlier that I had a very important meeting to attend.
As I had a experience earlier in another airlines that my luggage was misplaced (while changing flight )in Bahrain while I was traveling to Paris and it was embarrassing to attend a conference in casuals.
3. In the domestic flight from Mangalore to Mumbai half the seats were vacant and in the international flight from Mumbai to Jeddah there were only 38 passengers though it was a jumbo jet carrying 400+ seating capacity what a waste of fuel and national loss!, This low turn out was clearly reflecting the attitude of the Air India staff whose attitude keeps passengers away though the infrastructure and planes are very good.
4. As Air India is national carrier I dream to see Air india to be rated as the best airlines in the international segment which will also boost our country’s image and people prefer it as the first choice. While now I feel (I may be wrong ) that air india is chosen as last option it is chosen only when you don’t find tickets in other airlines and this is also the perception of my colleagues and friends abroad.
5. When compared to other airlines staff it appears that the staff in Air India have low morale and no motivation and lack of customer centric approach. It looks their performance are not monitored and lack of structured training.

Nov 21, 2014 2:00 pm EST

Telling you "no" is not the same as being rude. If it is overweight by three pounds it is still overweight. You cannot go around asking people's names, makes you look like a stalker. Sounds to me like you were the ill mannered one when you got no for an answer. If you behave yourself no one would have to call the police or security on you. You are the one with role moral and you have a lot of growing up to do.

J
7:22 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My luggage not delivered after arrival of flight no ai 130 at mumbai (Bom). I approached unclaimed baggage area and filled up necessary document. Ai representative provided me pir form (Attached) Customer name: shevade/jayesh Flight no.: ai130 Date of arrival: 15-nov-2014 Time of arrival: 5:00 am Tn: ai 757350 E-ticket no: 0985854521936 Even after 4 day...

12:10 am EST

Air India - booked tickets with denial to issue it

Dear Officer
Dear Officer
I have booked this JLR5T & Chd pnr Z1K57 pnr are in Z class and total cost informed is Rs192908/-
now I wish to get it issued it. timelimit is till tomorrow 8th Nov 2014 Now Air India staff is denying for issuance of same
I have voice recording of Air India Staff who has booked the above pnrs with rates incl of all taxes. I can email same
Aslo informed to Star Alliance about it.
Kind Regards
Sujay Shah
[email protected]

12:02 am EDT

Air India - misplaced baggage

I was on the AI 659 flight from Bombay to Goa.
My luggage was checked in by your desk staff not only on another flight: AI 658 to Delhi,
But also on another person: some Mr. Kowalski/ Jarosla.
How can such a mistake occur when my boarding pass says the correct name?

The ground staff at Goa airport, specially Ms. Maria and her supervisor, were rude and inconsiderate. When, at 12 in the night, I was stressed and could not locate my boarding pass, they tried to pin the fault on ME! “You don’t have your boarding pass, so its your mistake!” was the attitude. On top of it, they even said that I, a mere student, had to spend 300 Rs. on a cab and collect the luggage from the airport myself.
They were rude and uncooperative, and not at all reassuring.

Fortunately I have my boarding pass in my hand, and told them the details. They keep calling me every 10 minutes saying: “Its not there ma’am”.
I have already given them the bag specifications. It is a soft bag, company name DELSEY. I have supplied the baggage contents to them as well!

I have attached a picture of the boarding pass and baggage tag.

This is all that I had to go through:

1.Bag on wrong flight
2.Bag checked in to wrong person
3.Rude staff, who tried to blame ME for MY bag not being there!
4.Bag has still not been traced. Probably taken home by the Passenger above!
5. Loss of 7 notebooks, 3 books, and clothes, some brand new, easily worth 10, 000 Rs.

Give me ONE good reason why I should not SUE your airline!

I want my bag back. It is your responsibility to deliver it at my doorstep. Please make sure you do the same.
Or I will sue.

7:08 am EDT

Air India - noncrediting of flying returns miles

Dear Sir,

I am a frequent flier bearing no 135313170. Mileage points for the
followings have not been added to my account.
1. Date of travel : 25.03.2014, Mumbai to Delhi. Flight no AI 348
(International flight). Ticket no. 098-2109257280, PNR no. ZCTTO

2. Date of travel : 13.08.2014, Mumbai to Delhi, Flight No. AI 866
(Domestic flight), Ticket no. 098-2110456956, PNR No. Z22CW

Please verify and add the Base Mile points and Bonus point against my FF no.

This message pertaining to missing flying mails was sent to mail id :
[email protected] on 26/09/2014. However there was no response. As
advised by Air India contact centre, the message is being resent to [email protected] on 01/10/2014. Till date there is no response. Call at flying returns help desk yielded no response as no one answered the calls.

Is it the service provided to frequent fliers also?
Thanks & Regards

Bibhuti Udgata
mail id : [email protected] ; [email protected]

10:14 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My parents travels in air india on 12 september by ai 191 Amd to ewr Conformation number is air india : zbc1b. When I booked I told them they r handicap. They hav medical handicap certi. From amd they both get good service. But when they arrive in ewr, I wheelchair is not available. My mom request them but due to language problem they not provide...

V
10:27 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Name of air lines: air india ltd. 2. Name of passenger: lakdiwala vishal kishorchandra & ashish d. Mody with 15 family members 3. Flight no: ai 866 ai 605, ai 445, ai 446, ai 634, ai 602 etc.. 4. Pnr no: h3t4p, h30wx others 5. Date of travel: 21st october 2014 & 26th october 2014 6. Ticket booked on thro net agent with address: Well india tours and tra...

7:49 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Air India - lost baggage and no trace or counter action

Today 15-june-2014 I have travelled from chennai to singapore on ai 342 flight, it was roughly 3 hours standing in the singapore changi airport with no trace of baggage's in the belt. I have been calling several phone numbers and everyone has rerouted me to a new number and still no trace. It took about an hour of search and later the complaint was registered in changi terminal 2 airport. I have never though the airindia officials this irresponsible and ignorant, it was completely their mistake and I am been left alone for this. There is no proper tracking or tracing mechanism not even a proper reply from the officials, first of all, they never pick the call if so they never responded properly as they were very reluctant.
I need my baggage back and I need to file a complaint against these officials for mishandling my baggage and causing so much of anxiety and improper service.

Thanks,
Priya
[email protected]

Jul 07, 2014 4:15 am EDT

I travelled by AIR INDIA AI 130 .Its been more than 48 hours and i have not received my bags .Everytime I call Air India call centre, they ask me to call after an hour . Air India has pathetic service.

7:56 am EST

Air India - air india making children sick

My family is extremely disappointed with their first experience with Air India. New planes, but missing the basics of customer service. I would say, it is against humanity. I have two young children ( 4 and 6 yrs old) and they were coming back from Mumbai to Singapore along with my wife on 24th Feb from Mumbai to Singapore. It was extremely cold (18c), but the airlines didn't provide blankets. They were told that airline cannot provide blanket for all passengers ! And they can't even increase the temperature of the aircon. Additionally there were Mosquitos and they didn't provide any kids meal.
New planes, new airports...but still don't understand the service. Air India you make a bad impression for India...

Jun 08, 2014 7:44 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

We, a family of 6 passengers including a wheelchair bound traveled on full fare executive class on AI 920 connecting to AI 965 on 06 June 2014 and the lounge was refused as a lady on duty in transiting area assumed that we are upgraded passengers. We had to struggle with the security to go back to clarify the matter and the shock was that the UNPROFESSIONAL lady was reluctant to accept that we are not upgraded passengers till I created scene, which attracted other AI staff. We finally reached the lounge after 2.45 hours from the time of landing of AI 920 Is the way Maharaja Airline treats the Executive class passengers?
I need a written apology form the lady, who refused to give her name and I am sure AI Management can pick up from the duty roster.

2:12 pm EST

Air India - poor inflight service for business class - & pound;995 ticket one way

This is the first time I flew with Air India and I was really disappointed at the service and even more frustrated after the journey with the poor customer service. I have never experienced this in any other airline before.

I paid a lot of money to book business class ticket on this flight [AI113 - 4/1/13] as I was sick and wanted to travel comfortably for the 8 hour journey. I was discharged from the hospital just 2 days before and it was very important for me to have a comfortable travel. But in my seat, auto reclining was not working. The steward has noted this in his log book and the technical team tried to fix this before take off but with no success. They said its Air India's mistake as the seat should not have been allocated. By the time we reached Birmingham, I was in severe pain with swelling in my joints. And I had to be admitted in the hospital for another week in the UK

I called up the customer services to report this and they asked to submit a feedback online. I did that twice . No one has taken any notice of it. I called the customer service again, they gave me a telephone number for the Air India head office in London. I have been calling them for days now. No one is picking up. How pathetic can the services be?

So then i called the customer services team again and they gave an email id. I hope someone will see this and get in touch with me. I need compensation and refund of the money I paid for the business class ticket.

Better to fly in Emirates Economy services, 10 times better than Air India Business or First Class

my email: [email protected]

9:01 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Date : 20 Jan 2014, Monday. I had an AIR India flight from GOA - Bangalore at 04:00 am from GOA (see boarding pass attached) at 04:00 am. I got a message saying flight is delayed by one hour and will fly at 05:00 am and there would be no further delays (the lady who called from AIr india said this). I had a connecting flight (Go AIr) Bangalore to Delhi at...

5:22 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Dear Sir, pl send a reply to [email protected] My mail : to: [email protected] : Dt: 11 Oct 2013 : Dear Sir, I had booked for my sister Sita Ravindran from BLR TO BOM and Return Through Air India Ticket No: 0982107649704 Reference AIBE9624343 28-sep and 3-oct, She changed her plans flew from BLR-DED-BOM BY JET on 27-sep and returned by AIR India BOM-...

2:07 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am Nooti Kumar. I tried booking an air india ticket on 01 Dec 2013 through internet banking. An amount of Rs 56665/- was debited from my account however the transaction could not be completed. The Transaction Id generated for this failed transaction by ICICI Bill desk is MICI 3181152072 dated 02 Dec 13. because of this failed transaction my finances have been destablised. Pls help as i need money urgently.

V
7:41 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I) air india ii) vijay sarathy thattai desikan iii) flight no. ai 906 iv) return flight no : ai 905 v) sector (from: chennai, to: dubai) vi) pnr: yhtgh vii) 18.0.2013 viii) ticket booked on thro air india website xi) efforts taken to readdress: My return flight from chennai to dubai was on the 18th of october 2013. the flight was scheduled to leave at...

4:21 am EST

Air India - bad customer service & staff behavior

On 11/6/13 I was traveling by Air India from Lucknow to USA. At the Lucknow airport after baggage check in and security check, myself and another lady who was also going to USA were held at the gate just before boarding on grounds that we had access baggage. We both were international traveler and as you all know that domestic and international baggage requirements are different. I told people at the gate that we are not domestic travelers and we are not carrying access baggage but they did not listen to me. We were asked to pay access baggage fee. I told them that I am not paying a single rupee because I do not have an access baggage, I told them I want to talk to your manager. Then after few minutes they said, let these ladies go. They tried to scam us. We were humiliated in front of the other travelers. I am not traveling by Air India again because of their bad customer service and staff behavior. They don’t monitor their employee’s actions. I will tell all my friends not to use Air India.

3:42 am EDT

Air India - missing baggage

Fao the manager ref:lhrai 17992
I would like to stress my feelings and say that I arrived in london (Heathrow) on 23 aug 2013 by air india, the service that I received on board was excellent. My main concern is that my baggage went missing as it carried very important goods, I am very distressed at this moment of time as I have nothing to support me, once again I would like to stress you that I had my medication, clothes, gold, and very important documents, I am an an eldery person with many illnesses, I recently had an bypass operation and I feel I do not deserve this. Please kindly if you can take this matter onto your hands and deal with it I would very grateful. Many regards mr rahman (07807492352)

12:49 pm EDT

Air India - all bags was opened and stuff was missing

We were traveling from Chicago Ahmedabad via Delhi. We were 2 passenger and 6 bags(2 Extra) paid extra money for extra bags not worth money that we paid extra because when we got our bags all bags were opened and was missing lots of Iteams(like new cloths, shoes, jackets, ect...) this is not first time happened but all the time when we use Air india Via Delhi. I think Delhi airport is very bad for customer service and I am sure this is happing there when they switch luggage bags from Air india plane to small jet because they get enough time to do that when staff switch all luggage bags didn't complaint last time due to busy schedule. I live in Chicago I heard from all people that they don't like to use air india lots of people using Ethiad airlines better service same prize may be cheap some time. This is very bad I think so one day Air india will shut their airline due to this kind of complaints

Air India contacts