Agoda.comrefunds

L

I booked a stay at a hotel through agoda and noticed last minute that I/they got the wrong dates. I called to cancel/change but it turned out that agoda is based in Asia and is ahead 12 hrs of the U.S., so when i thought i was within the cancellation period, i actually wasn't, because they were past the international dateline. That's taking advantage of "fine print" to the point of fraud, in my opinion. I'll never book through them again.

• Li
    lilly Nov 20, 2008

a similar thing just happened to me. the cancellation policy said $15 USD for a cancellation before 7 days of debaucher. i had to cancel because i am very ill and not able to fly. i also need surgery to fix my illness.
    anyway they have charged $115 USD to my credit card. not $15 i am in AUSTRALIA and this will be alot more than just $115. plus the room was only for one night and it was only $94 USD so not only have i not go my money back. i end up with less!!!

• Li
    lilly Nov 20, 2008

i was meant to leave on the 6th of december!

• Ag
    agodastinks Apr 02, 2009

Same here i was to be charged 80% of the total amount because i was less then 2 hours late.
    Thought i had time but apparently it was less then 13 days left and i booked the day before so really strict policy.

• Th
    Thorsten Koch Jan 04, 2010

I got the the same problem with AGODA; they mentioned that one roomnight will be charged if the cancellation will be made less than 7 days before arrival. I tried to cancel
    the reservation one week (seven days before arrival) and instead of charging the "normal" fee of 15 US$ they charged a full night (61.00 US$). When I called the service center in Bangkok I got the information that they do not count the arrival day !!!????? I will never use Agoda again as my booking agent.

05/Jan/2009

Thorsten Koch

• Me
    melisa312 Jan 13, 2010

My experience is even worse. I booked a hotel room in February and paid on November 15th. But for some personnal reason, I cancelled the reservation on November 16. But till now, I didn't get any refund. I called agoda more than 20 times, but they always found excuses. That's totally fraud!!!

• Ag
    AgodaSucks Feb 22, 2010

I booked through Agoda and then realised I had booked the wrong hotel so I cancelled it after a few minutes using their online facility. I only did this because their cancellation policy stated that there would only be a USD$15 charge.

I later received an email stating that my cancellation had been processed and the cancellation fee was 100% of the booking fee, I was like what the hell!? The booking was for a 2 night stay in Saigon for USD$174 and they took that whole amount as the cancellation fee! My booking was over a month in advance as well.

After further querying the cancellation with their customer service they stated that some hotels may charge a cancellation fee of equal to 100% of the booking fee for changes, no shows or cancellations and that this was stated on the the reservation confirmation. How BS does that sound? Unfortunately, that's their policy which is written in the small print of their T&Cs so there isn't anything I can do about it.

I have accepted that these guys are crooks and learnt my lesson. I definitely won't ever be using their service again. I'll be happily sharing my bad experience with them to others on the Net though.

AGODA equals DODGY so travellers beware!

• Aa
    AaronJC Nov 02, 2010

I have found that Agoda's cancellation policy is spelled out clearly on the site.
    It looks like they have recently upgraded the site and now the cancellation policy is very clear and easy to find at three points in the booking process.

Their cancellation is fully examined in a blog post on this Thai Hotels blog - http://reservethaihotels.net/1824/agodas-cancellation-and-refund-policy-examined/

Each hotel appears to have their own cancellation policy, and this is what may have caused some confusion.

In regards to the original post, I would think that it would be pretty obvious that the stated cancellation dates are in relation to the hotel involved and not the residence of the person who booked it.

• Sf
    SFMoonDog Nov 17, 2010

I travel frequently to Asia and have been using Agoda for years. I’ve never had a problem. On the few occasions that I’ve made changes to my itinerary Agoda was prompt and effective. In my experience Agoda is very good at what they do – they provide discount prices and booking at a wide range of hotels. They are not a full service travel agent and make no pretense at being one. Taken for what they are Agoda provides a valuable service that I appreciate and will continue to use.

• Su
    Sunmoon7 Feb 15, 2011

Aaron JC was right, each hotel has its on Terms and Conditions . What I don't understand is we're booking the reservations thru agoda.com; Why can't agoda.com use their own Terms and Conditions? Or at least write the Terms in condition to an easy to understand detailed wordings.
    One of the Terms and Conditions they have is a trap, so people who makes mistakes will loose their monies. They don't have no provision on their policy. Us customers cannot expect ourselves in booking a perfect reservations, cause we do not do this everyday; of course mistake will happen, if your not familiar to rules and regulations, even it is already in front of you. not like agoda representatives, who a very familiar with their policy. I wish Agoda.com should investigate and ask customers who book thru them online for a survey. Sunmoon7

• Ts
    Tscott Sep 30, 2011

I have booked a lot of hotels over the years through agoda, priceline, and hotwire. There are no refunds in hotwire or priceline so I am used to having to be sure about the hotel and the dates I will be there. I accept this because I am usually saving big $ and it all averages out in the end. Agoda gives the booking conditions in a little box when you give details and payment. If a hotel is nonrefundable it says so. If you aren't 100% sure don't book. I realize it sucks when you make a mistake but even airlines have dinged me for that. If you want to be able to cancel book through another site that doesn't charge any cancellation fees. You may pay a little more but you will have less worries.

• Re
    Rene Bradales Dec 13, 2011

Dec.13, 2011
    My credit card statement shows a charge from you for $268.45 transaction date 9/9/2011, and I do not have the slightest idea
    what it 's for? It is Chase Mastercard in the name of Rene Bardales 460 W. Kimball Av. #4 Hemet, CA. 92543
    Tel. [protected], E-mail [protected]@yahoo.com. Please explain what hotel and what dates?

• Re
    Rene Bradales Dec 13, 2011

Charge for $268.45 for what Hotel and for what dates?