Afni CollectionsThese rip-offs must be punished for what they are doing!

I received a collections notice from Afni, Inc., also Afni Collections stating that I owed Verizon Communications a bill for an outrageous amount of $637.25. I only owe Verizon for my current phone service.

Verizon stated that I only owe for my current bill. I have never at anytime ever owed Verizon this amount. If I ever did, I seriously doubt if I would have any type of phone service available to me today.

When I went to their website, it is a fake too! These ripoff con artists need to be stopped and prevented from pulling this with anyone else. Also from causing Verizon a needless bad reputation.

The phone number they are using on the bill they sent to me is not even my correct phone number. These rip-offs need stopped and punished for what they are doing and trying to do!

Mark M Jan 17, 2007

I also received a letter from Afni on 1/17/07 from a fraudulent account dated back to 1992. I called Verizon and they have no such record of this account. Afni said that I had to fill out a form on there web site with more personal information on it to disputed the claim. I certainly don't feel comfortable giving out my personal information in this manner. Any advice would be helpful.

Frustrated...

joshua Kieth smith Jan 18, 2007

I am 22 and i just received the same type of letter on 1/02/07 for an account that was open in 1998 i was 13 at the time the company keeps giving me the run around on phone and also said i would have to go to their web site and fill out a fraud form, the web site is not even up, i was advised by a collections attorney to contact them in writing to cease with the collections process and clear my credit for what they are doing is against the law.

Mike Jan 18, 2007

I received the same notice from AFNI, claiming I owed over $500 to Verizon. I called the number (no answer) and tried to look up their website (no such site). I was confused but greatly relieved to find the many comments posted on the internet from others who are just as confused as I am. I filed a complaint with the BBB, and of course I have no intention of paying this false collection notice.

• Ca
    Carol Layman Jan 19, 2007

I also just received a letter from afni dated 1/16/07, say I owed them $344.14. I don't even have an account with verizon nor have I had an account with GtE, which the letter states that Verizon was formerly GTE. I was trying to pull up the website when i came across this page. I feel a lot better knowing that this is a scam and not a Litgit bill. I was frantically trying to figure out what this collection was for. GTE and Verizon aren't even available where I live. I was afraid someone had used my name and ran up a bill. I am going to go ahead and try to log on to the web site but at least now I am a little more informed.

• Ca
    Catlady Jan 19, 2007

Just received notice 1/19/07 from AFNI for a verizon bill from 7 years ago at a phone number we've never had for $576.03. Not only does the notice itself look suspicious with lack of detail, but I'm also noticing that in searching the web for this AFNI, people are always giving a different P.O. box #. Kinda makes you wonder how many P.O. boxes they own doesn't it? This notice says P.O. box 4115.

• Gr
    Greg Peters Jan 20, 2007

We just received a letter from Afni Collections too. Claiming, what seems to be their M.O., That we owe nearly $300 to Verizon Communications. I'm not sure how they get their information but the collection notice lists my wife's maiden name, which hasn't been her legal name for over ten years and the phone number they list shows our current area code but the prefix and number they list is from a phone we had when we lived outside the area code. This is a major scam!

Having read complaints on other websites and I worry about doing nothing; I have read instances where Afni is reporting bad to credit reporting agencies, This is ruining peoples otherwise good credit history. Is anyone fighting back? By the way my notice has an Afni PO box of 3427.

• Kd
    K Durand Jan 22, 2007

Same story here in Dallas! I received the letter 1/22 dated 1/16 from Afni collection for Verizon of $179.56 with a number that's never been mine. I waited on the phone for 45 minutes to talk to someone. I provided the Afni associate the Afni acct number of my letter and asked him to tell me the name, which he couldn't, so I disconnected. I also contacted Verizon, which has no record of any debt for me, and even verified it with my SSN.

FYI, here is the info from my letter to see if it matches:
    Afni, Inc PO Box 3427 866-308-1160

Of course, I am reporting them to the BBB and would encourage everyone else to do the same.

• Ti
    Tiffany Earhart Jan 22, 2007

Ahh! I received a letter today stating the same thing! It says my husband owes $137.12 to Verizon Communications and the number listed as the billing telephone number is from a state my husband has not been a resident in for over 10 years! Not to mention we're not even with Verizon!!!! I am considering contacting the local authorities . The address on my letter is: Afni, Inc. PO Box 3427, Bloomington, IL 61702-3427
    (866)308-1160

Hope this helps someone.

• Li
    Liar-liar! Jan 22, 2007

My wife just told me we received a collections notice stating that we owed over $250 on a bill to a phone number we never had, over 15 years ago! When you call, the number is busy and a recording asks you to either A: Leave all your information, social security, phone numbers, birth date, etc on the recording or B: Give them your mailing address for a "fraud packet" they'll send out and in that put all the above information....WHAT!!! If it walks like a duck....This not only borders on fraud, who in there right mind would give out this kind of info? It seems to have Verizon as a willing partner because that is who the initial contact is with!!!

Michelle Jan 22, 2007

I received a similar letter from Afni claiming I owed money for a Verizon account. I spoke with a representative from the Verizon collections department, and she told me that Verizon is aware that Afni has sent out many of these letters "in error"!

Even though the collection notices are fraudulent, you still have to DISPUTE THEM IN WRITING. You should send your written dispute by certified mail with return receipt requested. This will cost about $4 and it's ridiculous that we have to go through this crap, but it's necessary to protect ourselves since it's evident that Afni Collections is just a scummy thieving operation.

It is also important that we all FILE CONSUMER COMPLAINTS against Afni Collections with the FTC. You can call the FTC at 877-FTC-HELP and follow the prompts until you reach a live person. And/or go to their website at www.ftc.gov and select "For Consumers" from the menu on the right side, then select "File a Complaint" toward the bottom of the next page. Here is the complaint that I submitted today:

"I received a collection notice from Afni Collections dated January 16, 2007 claiming a balance due of $200.39 on a Verizon telephone account. I subsequently spoke with two representatives from the Verizon billing and collections department, and they informed me that Verizon has no record of any balance due on this account. Furthermore, they mentioned that Verizon is aware that many erroneous collection notices have been sent out by Afni Collections, including for phone numbers in states in which customers have never even lived. I have made several attempts to contact Afni Collections by phone, but their phone numbers provide only an automated response stating that they are unable to take calls. I will, of course, dispute this collection attempt in writing by certified mail, but I want to make the FTC aware of Afni Collections' unlawful activities, especially since this problem appears to be fairly widespread. Please see the following website for complaints posted by some of the other people who have received similar fraudulent collection notices from Afni Collections. Thank you for your efforts to protect consumers from these predators."

Good luck to everyone affected by this! If you have any updates to the situation, please post to keep everyone else informed. Thanks!

Michelle Jan 22, 2007

Oh yeah, and DO NOT give Afni Collections any additional personal information about yourselves! They will only use it to victimize you further.

Jaymes Jan 22, 2007

Got one of these the other day, dated January 16th and mailed from Concord, California. The PO Box is 3427 on mine. I spoke with my attorney this afternoon and she advised I send a certified letter demanding proof of debt, which they have to provide to legally collect on one. I already filed complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Better Business Bureau and I suggest everyone else do the same.

I can't imagine how this company could have mixed up so many people's names, addresses, and credit info with real, very old past-due accounts. I'd imagine they'll have some serious explaining to do!

It doesn't appear as though our names and SS numbers were used to fraudulently open Verizon land-line accounts, though that looks like the case at first glance. There is absolutely nothing on my credit report that says I ever had a Verizon phone number, let alone a past-due account with them dating back ten years! If our credit is affected by Afni's mistake, however, we all have grounds for a seriously damaging class-action lawsuit.

• Bi
    Bill Jimenez Jan 22, 2007

Add me to the list. Got mine in the mail today, again, a Verizon account I never had. The PO Box on this one is 3427 as well. Tried calling and got the "could not answer" message. File a complaint with the FTC and will draft a letter to AFNI demanding proof of debt. Thanks for the tips everyone.

• Vi
    Vickie Jan 22, 2007

I also received a letter from Afni, Inc. When I contacted them (after waiting 40 minutes), I was told it was from 1993. The person I spoke with told me that they could in fact report it on my credit if the debt had never been reported previously. I have contacted Clark Howard about it and am waiting to hear back. I will post with an update as soon as I do.

• Ka
    Karen Pettigrew Jan 22, 2007

Wow, I had no idea there are so many people from all over who have received this ridiculous "collection mail". Here too, mine dated 01/16/2007, with PO Box 3427, stating that a Verizon Communication account has been placed into collection. I have never even had the telephone number they list. I too, attempted to contact them by phone and the recording stated that they could not take my call because of such high call volume and the wait would be over 30 minutes long...I should certainly hope that someone is taking note of these...the BBB, the FTC. If this company is placing erroneous information on our credit reports (which they have no legal right to), they most certainly had better be prepared for a huge lawsuit. I have Verizon for my home phone service and had Verizon Wireless for a cell phone service, but neither have ever had this telephone number this company lists. Did anyone else's letter state not to contact Verizon Wireless? Just curious. I am definitely going to contact BBB and the FTC on this one. And I do not believe this is an "honest" mistake. Too many people from all over stating the same thing. I think this company is a complete fraud!!!

Anne Marie Mulvey Jan 23, 2007

I just got one of these letters and I am STEAMING! I called up the number and gave the rep hell, told her I knew it was a fricking scam and I had my cancelled check as proof of payment, that I had a verizon account back in 02. She wanted me to send her the check, I told her no way in hell was she getting anything with my banking information on it. She asked me if I was working, wanted my phone number. HA fat chance you swindler!

The PO box # on mine is 3517 - interesting how none of them are the same isn't it?
    I just wrote to Verizon and told them these type of antics are an abomination and they should be aware of it and do something. I am on a rampage they are going to regret messing with us folks. BBB & FTC next stop.

• Ta
    Tasha P Jan 23, 2007

Well as seeing what everyone else is writing..I got the same letter dated January 16th saying I owe 135.43
    which also the phone number listed is not even mine..and I have not had Verizon in three years.When I called Verizon they told me that they had sold some of there old accounts to this company called Afni, INC.
    I was soooooo pissed when I got this letter thinking someone got my info or this is fraud. also what the hell is Verizon doing selling our info to another company. especially when some of us hasnt had Verizon in so many years. I have not been able to contact Afni, yet (in 2 days) I have been trying just about every half hour, but get that same BS message about heavy call volume so call back later. Verizon even verified my account saying it was in 2004 and nothing else was needed. I also noticed verizon on my credit report from last year and I meant to question it and now I guess it needs to be done. I also did a search on Afni, and nothing but fraud pops up everywhere. well like the others I am going to the BBB and the FTC. Someone else had said that they contacted Afni and asked for the proof of the debt and Afni told them that they can not send them the info...bogus....well lets all get it done.. They need to be stopped.

• Ke
    Kenneth Swanson Jan 23, 2007

Yeah, so I just got one of these bills in the mail saying that I owed Afni for a Verizon account. But the problem is that I never even had a telephone in my name nor have I ever payed for an account from a relative. Best believe that I'm gonna give these punks a piece of my mind. I'm gonna follow everyone else's lead and go to the BBB and the FTC.

• Ly
    lynn t Jan 23, 2007

Afni stating I owe verizion acct. When in fact I've never owned a cell phone. Afni do not answer there phones and verizion say they sold afni the info.

• Po
    popeye Jan 23, 2007

Wow what a scam. I didn't even remember this # until a hour later when i realized it was from 1997. ### a decade ### ! i payed this sooo long ago it was when usc football was still marginal ! raving was played out but still a functioning scene ! and OJ & Clinton (bill) were Jnny Carson punchlines !!!!!

• Bo
    Bowling Man in PA Jan 23, 2007

Add another pissed off individual to the list of scammed by Afni. I did some research after I received a collection notice yesterday pertaining to a "so called" past due balance owed to Verizon Communications and found multiple complaints on this website in regards to fraudulent notices sent by Afni. We ALL must take the advice of Michelle & Jaymes and file complaints with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission)! Hopefully, if they get enough complaints, they will consider doing an investigation and stop them!!!

• Ke
    Kevin Jan 23, 2007

Same thing happened to me!!! The address on my collection notice was Bloomington, IL P.O. Box 3427. I am calling Verizon right now and I have already typed out my request for a DEBT VALIDATION. I read on some other sites that we should dispute the collection notice in writing and demand to see the original signed contract as well as a full account history and itemization of charges. I hope this works out for everyone.

By the way, I think the verizon number that they provided for me was from back when I was in college about 9 years ago. I just bought a house and would have thought that this would have come up before hand.

Ok, Just got off the phone with Verizon.... apparently Verizon recently sold all their delinquent accounts to AFNI and so AFNI has begun to send out these collection notices. Verizon confirmed that the account was real and that AFNI is legit. When I asked why it hadn't shown up on my credit beforehand the ice Verizon lady said that Verizon never used to report their delinquent accounts to the credit agencies.

I suggest you all call Verizon and find out for yourself!

james mullink Jan 23, 2007

i got one for500., something. it did not look right from the start.i have never had a pnone from verizon nor gte.i hope people on fixed incomes have not paid these bills! how low can you get! get a job like the rest of the world has to.the adress to mail it to was,bloomington,il.and the phone # was completley different than the other ones. i will also be contacting the BBB,please people, do NOT give you;re s.s. # to ANYONE!! lets put these ### away!!!

Michael Kenny Jan 23, 2007

I received one as well. I have not lived in that state for 14 years. I am going to follow the above Gentlemen advice and send a certified letter as well as notify the FTC.

Michael Kenny Jan 23, 2007

I called Verizon. No records for me or my social. They said they were getting tons of calls. They do use AFNI, but the number listed is not the #.

Whats really going on. Scammers sent out collections letters, Put up a website that is https which means they are afnicollections but not the real AFNI company. They are hoping that 1 out of a 1000 of us will pay or give up our banking #'s. They are not even going to get a certified letter, because it will be returned. Verizon and the real AFNI are aware of this and should do all the real work to put a stop to this.

We caught them on this one.

Thanks to Google for finding this board rather quickly.

Chris C. Jan 23, 2007

I got a collection notice today. I have never had a verizon account. Too late at night to talk to the billing dept, but this whole thing seemed "phishy".

I reported it to the FTC already, will be calling verizon.

Michael Kenny, do you have the website address or phone number for the REAL Afni so that we can file a complaint with them?

• Ar
    Ara M Jan 24, 2007

This is crazy I just go the letter last night and it was sent to an address I lived at 3years ago I tried to call the number and the recording said they couldn't take my call either. I never had the number they are saying I owe on. I emailed them telling them no action would be taken on this account I placed a fraud alert and plan to report to BBB and the FTC as well I am so glad I found this information before I gave them any further info.

• Ab
    abbey williams Jan 24, 2007

I hope this helps. The company is owned by Walter William Anderson. The company is also known as Anderson Financial Network. The physical address is 7304 Fox Bluff Pl, Prospect, KY 40059. Here is some phone numbers you might find helpful as well (502) 228-3900 and (502) 228-5448. I got one of these letters also and my attorney was able to get this information.

Anissa Maguire Jan 24, 2007

I got a collection letter dated 1-11-07, for $446.and had NO IDEA what it could possibly be for! I've been FREAKING OUT ! Sorry it has happened to so many people, but I'm glad I found this site so at least now I have an idea of what's going on. Glad I found you guys! I guess the next step is the BBB and the FTC. Thanks. (And, Prospect, Ky is 15 mins from my house--kinda crazy!!)

• Al
    Alicia Stepp Jan 25, 2007

Oh my god, I got the exact same collection notice today, except that it was for the amount of $152.09. An interesting variation on the amount owed of you. This is completely ridiculous. I am definitely filing suit against these jerks. And I hope we all get a REALLY nice settlement, considering the hoops we're going to have to jump through to get this bogus scam off of our credit history.

Here's a scanned image of the "'collection notice" I received today...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/lazerlove/random stuff/debtcollectionscam.jpg

• Re
    Renee Jan 25, 2007

I to am married to a man in the military-The bill I received is for $466.54. I haven't used my maiden name or lived in the state they say for 11+ years. I ran a credit report and am going to visit a lawyer asap.

Michael W Findling Jan 25, 2007

Received demand for $2844.13 on Airtouch Cellular (out of business) for a closed account over 10+ years ago paid in full. Lots of Google hits regarding this scam. Looks like they bought up a bunch of bogus very old questionable closed accounts from national companies, added 10 yrs interest, and did a mass mailing hoping to victimize a few people.

• Ro
    robert wormald Jan 25, 2007

I received a bogus complaint in the mail form Verizon Communication demanding a payment that I never owed. The letter form Afni said I have to comply within 30 days or suffer a judgment against my credit. Who is Afni and were do they get their information. If you call the 800 number the recording states call back another time all agents are busy. I f there is a way to stop this fraud from happening to other people I would be willing to help.

• Be
    Beth H Jan 25, 2007

I just got a phone call from Afni stating my husband owes $3,623.80 for a GTE phone bill from 1996. My husband didn't even live in the state they said the phone bill was from at the time and when he did live there is lived with family. This is from 11 years ago and they are just now contacting us? I don't think so. Why would a phone company shut off a phone before it got to $3600.? This is crazy.

• Er
    Eric Atlanta Jan 25, 2007

Yep. got one here in Atlanta. Probably mail fraud as well. I cant imagine them paying for all those stamps. they probably get you when you fill in your info on some wacky site. Love the power of the internet- im not calling anyone or doing anything- Great site

O.W. Petcoff Jan 25, 2007

I am glad that others have written in, too. My daughter just went through the same thing. Like most of the Commentors, her letter is dated January 16, 2007. This bill would have originated in 1994, Afni tells us, and my daughter is only 21 now!! That means that she would have been between 8 and 10 years old! Yes, we DID have an MCI phone back then, but I didn't put the phone in her name. We don't know HOW they got her information! Also, I think I remember paying the phone off, but, again, that was sooooo long ago!

What scared us was that, once we finally got Afni on the phone (they put you on hold forever, and, sometimes you only get a busy signal for hours on end), they told us that they had information on EVERYONE in our household at that time, including Social Security numbers! This was weird to me because I don't think you have to give the Social Security number of EVERYONE in the household. Plus, to be honest, I cannot say for sure if the number they are referring to was really our number, as we have literally moved across the country since that time (i.e., "I've slept since then....many, many times :-).

We, too, wrote them a letter telling them that, per our attorney (i.e., ME), my daughter would not be paying them and for them to cease the collections process. I also called today and, after a 20 minute wait, got to speak to a rather RUDE Customer Service rep. We mentioned the words ATTORNEY and CLASS ACTION suit and, voila, we were told that this "COULD NOT POSSIBLY BE PUT ON THE CREDIT REPORT" because the statute of limitations had run out. My daughter had never been told this before when she talked to them, nor does the tone of the letter suggest such. Instead, they told us, "This is just an attempt to collect a debt and information would be used for that purpose". But, they, reiterated, this would NOT go on her credit report. But, this was ONLY after I mentioned an attorney to them. They also told her to file fraud charges so that THEY could help her go after the person who made this bill. She said that she did not make the bill and did not care if they got any money or not, if there is, in fact, a bill.

They had also sheepishly asked her if she would be willing to pay $90 instead of the $165 they are asking her to pay. She told them no.

Two words: CLASS ACTION. Any takers?

• Bi
    Bill Jan 25, 2007

Add Alaska to the list! I just got a bill two days ago with a $133.82! What a M.F. company AFNI is. I will call the FTC I guess.

• Ti
    Tim Johnson Jan 26, 2007

I received a notice from Afni regarding a past due Verizon account. I was quite furious when I called in and I gave the bill collector an earful. I wish I hadn't though. It turns out after having talked through the situation with the agent, who was incredibly professional considering how hostile I was behaving, that the bill was from my college apartment address. I paid the account off in full.

O.W. Petcoff Jan 26, 2007

To Tim Johnson,

I am glad that your situation worked out well and that you got to pay your bill. But, for the rest of us to who have been scammed, it is not a pleasant situation. I am getting the feeling that cases like yours seem to be the exception, not the rule, with Afni. They got lucky when they bought your debt; it seems that yours was one of the few "legitimate" ones that they had.

O.W. Petcoff Jan 26, 2007

P.S. - Tim Johnson, Are you sure you don't work for Afni? Just checking...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices