Afni CollectionsThese rip-offs must be punished for what they are doing!

I received a collections notice from Afni, Inc., also Afni Collections stating that I owed Verizon Communications a bill for an outrageous amount of $637.25. I only owe Verizon for my current phone service.

Verizon stated that I only owe for my current bill. I have never at anytime ever owed Verizon this amount. If I ever did, I seriously doubt if I would have any type of phone service available to me today.

When I went to their website, it is a fake too! These ripoff con artists need to be stopped and prevented from pulling this with anyone else. Also from causing Verizon a needless bad reputation.

The phone number they are using on the bill they sent to me is not even my correct phone number. These rip-offs need stopped and punished for what they are doing and trying to do!

• Do
    Don Born Jun 03, 2016

I did nothing after calling and complaining to both AFNI and Verizon and now I'm screwed. The amount was only $37.00 but it was the principal. They just reported it on my credit and my credit score dropped nearly 100 points. Over $37 bucks!! I still wont pay it but it's going to take me a long time to clean this crap up.

• Je
    Jeff Jun 03, 2016

Just got one of these myself today... from the same year... hell, may even be 1988! Mine's for 231.22. I have a Verizon Wireless acct right now, they have never said anything about a past due bill that is near 20 years old. This AFNI company is looking more and more like bottom feeding scammers every minute...

• Ca
    Caroline sabatella Jun 03, 2016

I may have everyone beat here. I just received my "collection notice" this week for Verizon for $96.20 from... get ready... 1989. YES, 1989! Come on now-how much more ridiculous can it get?? This WAS an immediate red flag! I am printing all this info and sending it along with my response of this disputed "debt" certified to this "company".

These boys must be in full swing for 2007 - there's lots of stuff out there. Does Verizon even care that their name is attached??

Any others out there??? Any new specific results or recommendations?

• Fe
    fed up with theifs Sep 05, 2014

I received a bill after finding out via my credit report that i can AFNI on my collection for a Verizon bill of 559 from 2008 now it's messing with my credit I called AFNI and told them i never had Verizon in 2008 even sent them a letter they sent me a copy of the so called bill and states it's mine when i know for a fact is.not it's now 2014 and im just now finding out through the internet they are known to be scams

Angelwhisper Feb 16, 2012

About 2 years ago, I went to start service at Charter Communications and was told that I had a past due bill of approximately $120. They said the bill had been turned over to Afni and gave me the account number and contact information. When I called Afni, they verified that the information they had on file matched what I had been told by Charter. They offered me a settlement of around $20, and I asked them to send me the offer in writing. I received that letter a few days later and took it down to Charter where the offer was confirmed as valid. I paid the $20 and it was reported to Charter within 48 hours. Now a few months ago I received a letter from somewhere else labeled as Afni but with a different logo, phone number, and return address. They said that I owed money for a Federal Student Loan, which I know for a fact is never true because (1) I have never taken out a Federal Student Loan and (2) Those loans are handled by a federal agency, not some little sidekick company. So my best suggestion for others is to carefully research these letters by not only confirming contact and billing information through them, but also contact the creditor they are representing. And get everything in writing.

• Ro
    Rosemarie Geary Aug 06, 2011

I was just informed about a past due bill from, Charter Communications for $ 268.00 form 1994. I have no way of proving that this bill was ever paid. Charter will not install service until I resolve this bill with AFNI. 1994 this is over 17 years ago.

Cheyenne Teague Jun 08, 2011

This is a major scam. I just received a settlement letter dated 06/04/2011. Saying I owe $700.41 to AT&T Mobility. I have never had AT&T and since it said AT&T Mobility I knew something was off with this letter. How many people are out there that actually do pay this??? Specially the elderly and disabled.

• Bk
    BK2006 May 24, 2011

No; your right, Californian have a 4 year statue of limitations on Debts according to the Fair Debts Collections Act

• Bk
    BK2006 May 24, 2011

After 4 years without court action most Californian's debts are uncollectable...

• Ny
    nycyn May 17, 2011

I just did not received this letter in the past but it is showing in my credit report that I own to Verizon $101.00 dollars!! This is insane!!! Verizon can say whatever is convenience to them to say when we all call to find out if we own money to them. They can wash their hands but still probably they sale or provide very easy our personnal information to afni. I did have Verizon in the past with my first husband, but even so this was long time ago in the 90's! how long can someone can keep it in our credit if there was any balance? I am now starting to believe that does not never desappear. I am going to try to contact afni and if I don't get thru like someone here stated he or she try to contact them with no success. I am going to follow also the steps with BBB and FTC. Today we have to be very careful since there are many scammers out there. Thanks all for your advice.

• Jc
    jcruz1st Mar 17, 2011

dont know who or what but they sent me a bill with a web address and they dont even have one also dont remember owing these guys 731.$ how does anyone cell phone company let anyone run up a 700 $ bill please spare me

• Cm
    cmccartn Mar 09, 2011

You guys, this is called mail fraud. You should all report this to the USPS https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/mailfraudcomplaint.aspx
    The postal service takes this seriously, and if this is all true. These guys could go to federal prison for what they are doing.

• Le
    Leary User Mar 08, 2011

I received a letter from AFNI saying I owed Verizon $876.29 but they are offering me a settlement for $100! I doubted that I owed Verizon that much, especially since I just got approved through Verizon Wireless with NO deposit, I also have Verizon in my house without any problems. I thought maybe, just maybe, it was a bill from my exhusband that we shared 9 years ago. The number they have on file, is that account with the ex. But, after speaking with him and Verizon, he had the account changed to his name and changed the number. Bottom line, I don't owe this and even if I did a settlement offer for $100?? You know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true...

• Br
    brian76 Mar 02, 2011

my wife has been getting them from afni for months now fRom t-mobile for 460.97. their now offering to accept half payment of 230.47 to settle the debt. my wife just got her income tax and was gonna pay it when she came by this site and told me to check it out. from the looks of it were not paying this and will be fileing the proper complaints. thanks for all the help. mine is P.O. BOX 3427 BLOOMINGTON, IL [protected].

• Br
    Brittany Tynes Mar 02, 2011

Wow, I was about to pay this $50.00 settlement although after reading all these posts I cant beleive I was about to. I just received a letter for my fiance stating a balance for $479.22 and settle for $50.00, I thought my husband was keeping something from me. It was fishy because it was for T-mobile, he hasnt ever had a t-mobile account and I had to add him to my t-mobile account. Wow what scammers. The address is stated Afni, Inc. 404 Brock Drive P.O. Box 3427 Bloomington, IL [protected]-2409. I will be disputing this as Michelle stated in 2007... wow its 2011 and these scammers are still going strong.

wildboaraza Feb 19, 2011

All these complaints have one thing in common- telecommunications companies. I'm adding QWEST, Arizona to the list. Never had them and with them behaving as low-lives by affiliating with afni I certainly won't. QWEST and afni engage in extra-profitteering using fradulant extortion scams.
    If you change addresses or purchase a property, that information is readily available to anyone through the post offce, county property records, etc.. Mud sharks, such as afni, will with their low way of conducting 'business' have a heyday sticking you with any telecommunication bill not yours, never yours. They presume you will 'pay up' to clear up your credit name, at any cost.
    Apparently, here in Arizona, this scam behavior is not enforced under any controls nor standards of law. The 'secondary' parasitic collectors are as bad as hawkers and peddlers. Don't give them 'free business'!

• Pe
    peraltam Jan 21, 2011

I also been receiving letters from AFNI from a TMOBILE ACC witch i never had their crazy they been sending me letters ever since 2005 till now 01/21/2011 i called then to explain to them that i never had a TMOBILE acc and the man that answer waz verrryyyy rude and direspecfullll now i dont now wat other actions to take were do i file a complain or who do i call ?? help !!!

wildboaraza Sep 27, 2010

Experion was the recent leader in clearing Afni off my credit report.Of course(with the named credit bureau as with any other business), that doesn't mean that they cleared off the Qwest I've never had. Businesses have never been 'required' to tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth; it is not profittable for them to 'tell all'. I will need to "dispute" the same claim with Trans Union and Equifax; businesses for profit recite they "may" share with others(such as "other credit reporting agencies", but they don't. They don't 'have to'; consumers be aware only for yourselves. Credit reporting businesses liken back in time to the "Geraldine" on the 70's TV sitcoms where the 'phone company' was the evil entity controlling everyone. Credit reporting agencies as they exist and behave now-their time is numbered. Little proof, not disproof, will prevail in our future.
    Keep all your correspondence certified mail return receipt requested, to all credit reporting entities(agencies, bureaus). They are scsred of business done their way and trying to hang on to the fading image of those who help render deterents to any personal financial decision on you-hence the friendlier online help versions(whether they are or not, the appearance of them) .
    In the next few years, there will be revolution of changes in all personal financial events. Traditional creditworthiness will be gone. Stick around and watch while Musetta's Waltz will not be playing.
    Count and rate your own misfortunes and fortunes.

Mary C. Jones Sep 27, 2010

WOW!! Unbelievable, but my million dollar question is why isn't VERIZON doing a public service announcement alerting the public about this company?!! With as many complaints, you would think they would have done something by now. I received my letter in the mail on September 10, 2010! I SEE MOST OF YOUR COMPLAINTS WERE FROM THREE YEARS AGO 2007, so why is VERIZON still dealing with this company?!! The Address on this letter reads - AFNI, Inc. 505 Brook Drive PO Box 3427 Bloomington, IL [protected] and the email address is - www.afnicollections.com. I will NOT send any payment to these folks after reading all these complaints. The only thing correct on this notice is the telephone number from a past account, but I still don't trust thiem!! Thanks folks for the heads up!!

wildboaraza Sep 24, 2010

I never knew who Afni was/is, never received anything at all from them.Learned who they were after finding them on my annual credit report, with no phone number supplied nor anything else. Of course I went to the Internet.
    Afni sets out it's own scams, that's all.
    Going to smear them all over the internet, repeat on some sites, have this Afni scam gang taken off my credit reports.
    This economy and lack of regulation has perpetuated greed in the name of fraud, such a Afni.

• Me
    meany78 May 27, 2010

Does anybody notice that these complaints have one thing in common? It is Verizon. I had the same problems with this company. Although it is $37.00, that according to them I owe, it is on my credit report. I called verizon and they said that I don't owe them anything and that my account has been closed a long time ago.

ManM Apr 15, 2010

I'm an ex AFNI employee. I was not a collector, but worked with that department.

AFNI is legit (sleazy, but legit), but slides along the letter of the law. They buy your debt (for .01 - .03 per dollar). If the debt is not really yours it is probably fraud from your family (like your mother could not get a phone, so they used your social security number). They also skip trace debt and mess up. If somebody has your same same and lived in the same city, they can get screwed up and go after you.

It is easy to make them go away if the debt is fake. Go to their website and file a fraud report. Then, send a letter disputing the debt and demand that they cease communications. They will stop calling and writing you and take it off your credit report. If they do not, send another letter. They are sometimes slow to get things corrected.

Do not call!!! Do everything in writing. They will stop. Also, don't let it slide. It will probably show up on your credit report and you'll get messed up some other time, like when you want to buy a house and are in a hurry to get a loan.

One thing to remember, much of the debt that AFNI buys is beyond the statute of limitations. Their spin is that this does not mean you do not owe the debt. Legally, they cannot report this but can attempt to collect. They will go after it and those that don't know any better will pay. They have people that pay bills that are 10-15 years old that they don't have to pay.

• Bi
    Bill Okello Apr 09, 2010

These are a scam! These Idiots reported to my credit report that I have an existing debt of $860.00 to AT&T. These ### should be taken out of the business.

• Bi
    Bill Okello Apr 09, 2010

Afni are con artists. They say I owe AT&T over $680.00 and when I called AT&T, they don't even have me owe anything! So this outragious report is in my credit yet I owe nothing to these con artists. Could someone who has the powers help the innocent? These ### needs to be out of business.

• Wb
    wbd Mar 26, 2010

Here's a follow-up on my experience. These guys are a total fraud. They hope you'll cave in and pay them money. Unfortunately, they are a legitimate business/collection agency who can affect your credit if you ignore them. I received a bill from them. In most cases, the bill is from a phone company you have never dealt with. They are counting on that.

It just so happened that the phone company listed on the bill I received from them, is the same company with whom I currently do business. When I told that to the rep, he stuttered and paused and said, "you have an account with them??!" You see, they know that if you really owed a specific telephone company a bunch of money and the bill was that past due, that telephone company is not going to continue giving you service, or any service for that fact, unless the past due bill is paid off first. I know this, because I used to work as a customer service rep for a telephone company for four years (both business and residential).

I caught the AFNI rep off guard. He went, "oh...ummm...uhhh..."
    Then he said they will have to investigate it and would get back to me with their findings. I eventually received a letter stating that I didn't owe anything (imagine that! what a surprise!).

I went ahead and sent a registered letter, just in case. They followed up with a second letter confirming I didn't owe anything. So, what do you put in your registered letter?

There's a number a samples on the web. Do a search in google, "letter to collection agency, " or something similar.

Also, file a complaint with the Attorney General of Minnesota.

Here's are some links with good info:

The bottom line is that these guys are scammers. The Attorney General in Minnesota won't do anything about them, in spite of the numerous complaints. Maybe if everyone who has posted on this board does so, it might result in some action. A class action suit for fraud should be brought against them. Any lawyer reading this, should file on behalf of all the people here.

• Td
    TDBS Mar 26, 2010

I'vc the same problem with AFNI that everyone else is describing. I even paid their (what i believed to be fake) bill of $25 in January 2009. In March of 2010 we get another letter!!! I call them with proof of payment via my canceled check and they refuse to accept it!!!

Something MUST be done about these people.

• Mo
    monteegebosh baddo Feb 22, 2010

My name is mantegebosh baddo i text about your rong Balace Due I dont have in your company order or any thing . you guys send to me Dat 2/12/2010 the Balace is $122.66 dollar i dont have any thing plane with you thankyou coll me [protected]

• Wb
    wbd Feb 15, 2010

I received a collection letter 2 days ago from afni re: a telephone # I've never had. Called afni. They said is from a bill ending in 2005. I advised we have had our same # for 25 years, and the one on the bill wasn't ours. The rep said they would "investigate this" and get back. Now that I have read these posts, I'll be prepared for them when they call back.

• Sw
    sweetcents Feb 05, 2010

i got a bill from AFNI saying i owe them $232.90 from 9 years ago i have never had a cell phone in my name they say they send a bill to my house for a year that is a big lie they claim they have my ss# lin# but only the last 4 digit it all bull and T-Moblie could not show me where i sign for a cell phone i think they are in on the scam too why would T-Moblie wait 9 years to collect money owed to them

• Be
    bevmo Jan 25, 2010

I received this notice in the mail from afni inc 404 Brock drive PO box3427 Bloomington ll [protected]-2409 dated for 1/15/ I called but was put on hold and then disconnected .

• Te
    Tejana100 Jan 25, 2010

These people will scam anyone!!! My 89 year-old neighbor showed me a bill from Verizon via AFNI for the amount of $97.10 which might not seem too much for anyone, but she is on SS and alone in the world. She's never been on Verizon and we help her pay the $10 to $12 monthly so we know she doesn't owe anything!!! Like many others she wanted to pay by credit card because she believed them but by doing this they would continue to defraud her. I called the police, the Texas state attorney's office and even the BBB which were of no help. They only told me that there had been 72 reports to the state. DON'T PAY! DON'T PAY! How can we stop these people and why are they so damn powerful? Has VERIZON looked into the problem or are they a part of the problem? Vicky

• Sm
    SMonique Jan 24, 2010

Has anyone had any results with the investigation of AFNI collections? I received the same type of letter. While my husband and I have verizon phones, when we called Verizon, they said they had no record of such bill. For everyone in the same situation, PLEASE file a complaint with the FTC. When I file mine, I will ask to speak to someone in person. I will update my progress as I start receiving answers. If anyone here finds out anything new, please post here, so the rest of us can see what is going on. That this thread is a few years old and there are still bogus collection letters still going around concerns me.

• Id
    I_don't_get_it Dec 15, 2009

Afni was on my credit report for three verizon bills. I was trying to clean up my credit so settled on all of them. Afni sent me letters in the mail stating that these are now paid, and one of the ($676.00) wasn't even my phone number. Today, I received another bill from AFNI alleging that I owe Verizon $293.00. I have requested an investigation. Unfortunately, Afni can and will place these on consumer credit reports.

• Pk
    PKARENWILLIAMS Dec 12, 2009

I ALSO RECEIVED A BILL IN THE MAIL DATED JULY 7, 2007 STATING THAT I OWED CINGULAR $762.46. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CONTACT CINGULAR TO VERIFY IF THEY DID INDEED SELL MY DEBT TO AFNI INC. I ALSO TRIED TO LOG INTO THE WEBSIE WITH THE SUPPOSED 'ACCOUNT#' THAT WAS PROVIDED IN THE STATEMENT AND I RECEIVED AN ERROR MESSAGE

THIS TRULY LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT THE COMPANY IS A FRAUD AND A RIPP OFF AND ARE PREYING ON INNOCENT PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER AND ARE CONCERNED BECAUSE COLLECTION AGENCIES TEND TO SCREW UP YOUR CREDIT SCORE WITH THESE ITEMS.

• Us
    U.S.Government Dec 03, 2009

So what do I do about this scam how do I get my money back that and they charged my bank account twice. I hope they realize that I will have the United States Army Lawers and my General up there ### so fast if my money is not returned to my account. what do i do about this before I bring the government into this matter.

• Be
    BESsherman Dec 02, 2009

PAID AFNI per dicounted payment offer as follows:
    413.00 VERIZON BILL for 50.00 with letter from AFNI stated "Selttled in Full" also a Verizon bill for $2345 for $50.00 with letter from AFNI stated "Selttled in Full" How will this change my relationship with Verizon and will this change my FICO score when reported to credit bureu? Can't believe this was reduce to 50.00.

• Ry
    Ryder Oct 02, 2009

We filed for bankruptcy and found out through our attorney that Afni buys information from companies such as Verizon, Cingular, and others. In that sense they are legit, but that's about as far as it goes. My wife received the usual letter from Afni claiming she owed them money. No mention of how long ago the "so-called" account was past-due, but one can only assume that it was well beyond the 6 years statute of limitations we have here.
    So, I dropped off the letter to our attorney who will contact Afni for us and have them cease all contacts.

• Rc
    RCB1 Sep 22, 2009

Same here. Got a letter saying I owe them a little over a hundred dollars. It had went to collections years ago, but paid it off. I called the collection agency that had it, which they confirmed. I still have my receipts as well. They want me to send in a copy, but I don't think I will as they are just fishing for personal information. If anyone is filing a lawsuit, please post a comment.

• Se
    setrippin Sep 17, 2009

AFNI is an out source vendor for verizon wireless, dsl, and home phone service.

• Pa
    PAID BILL Sep 12, 2009

PAID VERIZON BILL IN FULL 1 JAN, 2009 AND THE OTHER FEB, 2009. THE ONE PAID FOR 116.00 HAD THE WRONG SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ATTACHED TO IT . THE LAST NUMBER WAS WRONG UPON PAYING AFNI ASSURED ME THEY WOULD RETIFY THIS. UNTIL THIS DAY THEY HAVE NOT I HAVE SPOKE TO THEM SEVERAL TIMES AND THEY CONTINUE TO SAY THEY ARE AWARE BUT KEEP RETURNING IT TO MY CREDIT REPORT. THE LAST NUMBER WAS CHANGED TO A 3