Account Assureinsurance/protection service

Apparently when I signed up for my Avenue Credit Card, the sales person (who is on a commission basis for this service) signed me up for a "protection" service called Account Assure. This protection is supposed to pay off my account in the event of loss of employment. I receive my Avenue Credit Card statements online and usually just make the minimum payment. The Account Assure fee does not show up anywhere on the main page or payment page.

When I lost my job I obviously did not know I had this service or I would have used it to cover my Avenue balance. It wasn't until over after a year of unemployment that I finally couldn't even manage the minimum payments anymore that I found out I had Account Assure and had been paying for it for years. Now that I found out and am asking for coverage, they are saying that the claim was filed too late. I have proof of the date of my unemployment and as I was covered at the time of becoming unemployed (which I can prove, and did send proof of to both Account Assure and Avenue), they should honor my agreement and balance as of that date. I never received any information or terms from them until after they canceled my service and denied my claim.

Also, these agreements should be signed up for completely separately from signing up for your credit card on site, instead of as a slight extra that a commission based salesperson can add without your knowledge.

They should provide either a refund for the amount paid to Account Assure as I obviously did not even know I had it (or I would have used it when I became unemployed) or settlement of my Avenue account.

Redcats, Avenue and World Financial Network National Bank are also responsible as they allow this to happen to their clients.

• Lu
    Luther Horn Aug 24, 2018

I checked my statement for marathon and found this same protection service charging me 25-30 dollars a month...I do remember signing up for it but thought it was just a service automatically protecting my interests. It was easy enough to get it discontinued, BUT please check all your cards for it. I know I am.

• Ne
    Neet121 Jan 10, 2013

I was actually out of work for 5 months last year and had Account Assure on my Loft Card. You have to be off work for at least 3 months for the program to take effect (there is a time limit for having the service as well, meaning, you can't take the service today and apply for benefits tomorrow). So, my last day of work was 2/11/2012; at that time my balance was about $1000.00. I continued to make my minimum payments for the 3-month waiting period, which by this time brought my balance somewhere around $800.00; Account Assure paid the entire amount leaving me with a zero balance. I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience.

• Ka
    Kathleen faro bartlett Apr 29, 2012

i had a credit card w hsn with account assure so that in case i lost my job, my balance would be paid off. I lost my job in august. you are not allowed to file a complaint for 2 mos.in the meantime, interest chrgs are accured and they continue to bill you for their insurance. i followed the instructions given to me by their rep except for the employer's statement as i dont have anyway of obtaining that because i am not allowed in the building because of my termination. i was assured by the representative that that would be no problem as long i completed the form & sent in my unemployment information which i did..in the meantime..yep insurance & interest is still being accrued. now they are saying they need my hours worked (which was included in the unemployment documentation sent) and have told me that they will only pay the balance on the account from when i was terminated even though insurance charges and interest have continually been charged. asked for a supervisor..was put on hold for over 10 minutes & told a supervisor will call me back..when i insisted on a supervisor, was placed back on hold and after 32 minutes reached a superviosr who insists i get the employer section filled out. There is no way around that and then was hung up on when I insisted I wanted my benefits. i will be reporting this agency to my attorney general & consumer affairs

• Ge
    GeorgiaHundhausen Feb 03, 2012

I hIave account assure for my Peebles credit card. In November account assure sent me an email and said if I spent $40 they would give me a $20 credit. It wa supposed to be posted on my December statement. It was not on my statement and I have called them 3 times and keep getting the run around. Today I talked to a supervisor and he said I never filled out the paperwork and sent it back in to get a gift card. It was not supposed to be a gift card. He is supposed to call me back this afternoon but Idoubt that he will. I will keep calling them until I get my $20 and then I will cancel. I will never use account assure again .

• Ju
    jullbully Jan 22, 2012

I also had Account Assure for my Lane Bryant account. I became unemployed when my company closed.They did pay, but they don't pay your balance like they let you think, they go back to the date I became unemployed and paid the amount due at that time. Because they did not pay the balance when I requested the help they kept racking up the late fees and tons of other fees. I paid the card off and cancelled my account. Lane Bryant's clothes are cheaply made and overpriced anyways. I will never use Account assure again and If I am contemplating getting another merchant card and they offer account assure I will not get that card.

• Bl
    bluediamond224 Aug 19, 2011

IVE WORKED THERE THE ONLY THING THE ASSOCIATE COULD HAVE DONE WAS OPEN THE ACCOUNT FOR U ANYTHING EXTRA NEEDS TO BE REQUESTED.