AARP β€” travel bag

T Review updated:

I recently joined AARP partly because they offered a free travel bag, the promotional flier showed a photo of the bag, it looked very nice. I expected a substantial bag with a shoulder strap, a bag which could carry a significant amount of belongings in when you "travel." When it came, it did look like what was pictured on the flier, but it was tiny, about the size of a small camera bag. Not really useful in a practical way, and not what one normally thinks of as a travel bag. The photo of the bag on the flier didn't show a person or anything next to it so you'd know that it was tiny. That was deliberate, in my opinion. I doubt anyone would want this next to useless bag. In my opinion, this is about as close to a scam as you can get without it legally being considered a scam.

• To
    Torander Nov 20, 2021

Last year I waited 6 months and several emails to finally get my little 6” x 9” bag . Thinking that the bag offered this year might be better I renewed and as usual haven’t received it yet . Also I went to get a quote for automobile insurance through Aarp Hartford promised a duffel bag, 5 months and 3 emails later I received my cheesy vinyl duffel bag . Not only do you have to brow beat them to get it, when you do get it you find it wasn’t worth the effort to follow up on it . Only the principal of the thing made it worth it.

• Ca
    Caligirl2019 Apr 28, 2019

LMAO πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    Thanks You Guys I really NEEDED That..
    Have a Blessed Day!!

• Be
    Bellaluce Sep 26, 2018

Seems to me everyone here joined just for a bag an not for the service

• Sh
    shellw32 Nov 11, 2018

@Bellaluce I know. I find it very strange. The membership only costs $12 and if you utilize it you’ll easily save more than that. Expecting a very nice bag on top of that when you’re only paying $12 seems silly. As long as it basically looks somewhat like what is pictured it doesn’t matter what size people think it is.

Ann L. McCarthy Jun 04, 2018

My complaint is listed above...

Ann L. McCarthy Jun 04, 2018

I agree with all the bag complaints. Not only is the size misrepresented but the fabric & the way it is sewed together is a disaster...Totally useless & will be tossed in the garbage.
    The quality of the gift makes one think twice about the quality of this organization & the truth to their other
    offers & representation.
    Ann L.

• Kd
    K.Davis Sep 03, 2021

@Ann L. McCarthy And truth be known you really don't need an AARP membership to save money, most place I shop give a senior discount with out showing a membership card. As for the insurance it's a scam as well ...I called to get car insurance quotes, an I was quoted a too good to be true rate, thankfully my direct deposit had not hit yet because they wanted me to pay right then. When I called back with the money it was a completely different quote, way higher, an the new customer service agent had no idea where the cheaper quote came from. So I suspect I would of given them my debit info but way more would of been deducted...proving that they are scammers ...about the gifts an the great savings.

• Kb
    kbilltv Apr 06, 2018

I joined over the phone, because the online forms didn't have a way to specify the color of the bag. While on the phone I looked the bag up online, so I could call the Day Bag by name, so there wouldn't be any confusion. I specified black. I got some sort of insulated bottle carrier with one pocket. In red.

Comments

• Li
    linda Caswell Mar 31, 2018

I join aarp to get the travel bag what a disapointment i dont belevie it will fit a bottle of water i am ver disapointed with aarp for there lying about this just to get ur money. i belevie they should refund all people money the took from all of us seniors. they lie to us.

• St
    Storminnorman Nov 29, 2017

I was considering joining AARP, because I need car and life insurance but after reviewing these comments I am not so sure I want to join or even trust this company who is suppose to be working and representing the elderly population of the USA.Please respond soon as I have to make a decision now!

• Lo
    Lon Roland Nov 20, 2017

I have sent in the request for the "TRAVEL BAG" offered and to date I have 6 varying sized bags (none of which should even be considered bags) and I have even talked to customer service reps who described the said bag offered and I still don't have what was advertised. What's the old saying about insanity...applying for the same gift offer and getting different results. Just who is AARP working for? Have they gotten so big that they are drinking the political kool-aid by the gallons that you can't fulfill one simple request that they initiated?

Jahk M Oct 31, 2017

First joined AARP almost a decade a go. Since I travel regularly for work, I did save a few bucks on my hotel stays, but nothing spectacular. (AAA does better on the room rate plus highway road service)
    Then came the ACA.
    AARP made grand announcements about challenging it head on, but they then rolled over, accepting a pittance from big Pharma. I cut my card in half and mailed it in.
    Having received the renewal offer in the mail, it looked reasonable. Still skeptical of AARP, I searched for reviews of their Travel Bag . Not surprising what I found here. They create a false illusion to make more money.
    AARP is all talk and no action. A self serving money machine.
    In today's vernacular, they are part of the "swamp". All held together by greed.

• 2p
    2pravin7 Sep 24, 2017

Thanks, guys! I was about to fall for this promotion but your reviews saved my $16!!

Tossed the mail in the trash right away :)

JasonTimmons Jul 17, 2017

I joined AARP the 8th of July 2017 did not receive or even asked if I was interested in your free duffle bag I would like to receive that bag. Thank you.

• Wa
    Walter Berman May 16, 2017

I have been a member for about 20 years and I think once received a bag for becoming a member. Somebody I know just joined and was given a set of travel bags to help packing. I renewed my membership about 2 months ago and nothing. I think by this time I deserve that same set of travel bags.
    Walter Berman
    65 Beacon St.
    Haworth, NJ 07641

• Sh
    ShawnaHamilton May 01, 2017

I too was duped, by the offer of the FREE overnight bag .
    It took me almost a year to receive the bag after several times calling to say that I hadn't yet received it. Finally, after almost a year of waiting, just before the next year membership was due, I got the bag in the mail. It wasn't at all like the bag they showed in the advertisement. AARP you should be ashamed and embarrassed by your false advertising, and furthermore should re-emberse all members who received these cheap plastic bags that aren't canvas and can't even hold a beach towel, let alone overnight clothing and toiletries as stated. I am not going to join for another year, and I am warning all family members and friends about this bait and switch scam...
    Kind Regards,
    Shawna Hamilton
    1186 W Harbeck RD
    Grants Pass, OR 97527

Mariettaland Mar 17, 2017

I received my "free gift" (redundant) after renewing my long time membership. Instead if a bag I received what I can only describe as a "bag kit". Could somebody explain to me what these items are for? They are kind of cool looking, but I don't understand how to use them. See picture.

• Je
    jeffatsign Feb 22, 2017

comment toward Tony S. about Travel Bag; agree site unseen; yes received in the mail plasticized card with name showing bag with rhetoric propaganda on that, along with paper letter ditto same, and, no postage envelope to sign up for; noting also letter print states card enclosed, what? a membership card? hardly; figured this was sub-scam even contemplated the whole mailing not legitimate at all since it was suspicious looking toward anything this notable retirement co. does; so researched this online, found this and add comment here; will not sign up never was going to anyway; plus will use the mailing for added trash can liner ( use junk mail on the bottom to absorb anything moisture so can stays clean, good use for junk mail i.e. if all that sends mail like this found out folks like me do this, wasting their money, they'd pull the plug asap on any more paper mail, catalogs included, just yank out the staples, lol ) thanks Tony S. and AARP

• Ra
    Ray54 Dec 09, 2016

I recently joined AARP. It said I was going to get a nice travel bag.

Really?
    You've got to be kidding me.
    I wouldn't use this. Travel bag? To where? The bathroom?
    It's the size of a camera bag.
    On the shoulder it looks like a woman's handbag.

I won't be joining again. A complete misrepresentation.
    A couple of friends of mine asked me to tell them what I thought about joining.
    It may sound ridiculous but I'm afraid this is a representation of the services and future offers from AARP.
    Whether they join is certainly up to them. I showed them the membership girt.
    They won't be joining.
    Ray Tomecko

• Li
    Linda Agape Glaude Nov 17, 2016

Growing up I always remembered my grandma say "You never get something for nothing" and yet people see the word FREE and they expect to receive something of value. People need to remember the phrase "You get what you pay for" and you never be disappointed. AARP is a non-profit offering information to seniors, if one is in need of said useful information then by all means join for that reason and the little perks that AARP gives are just gifts.

• Em
    emjayay Nov 16, 2016

The current offer shows the bag with what must be the world's smallest disposable water bottle. But it shows a shirt inside. It is the width of a folded shirt. Several times smaller than the water bottle would indicate if it was a typical small bottle. Of course no dimensions listed. Anyway, not something to join AARP for. You might want to join anyway, but not to score an actual bag "perfect for short getaways".

new_york_night Oct 29, 2016

Oh, and to learn that AARP is a "liberal, Obamacare-supporting" company: I am joining immediately!

new_york_night Oct 29, 2016

Wow, for a freebie, did you all really expect a full-out suitcase?? Talk about a bunch of cry babies with first world problems! This bag is not the reason you should have joined AARP. We have enough junk on this planet, as I'm sure most of you are probably near hoarders, but HAVE to have this "free" travel bag that you thought would be a 28-inch Tumi, only to add to your already-overstuffed-closets.
    "The bag itself is approximately 2½ inches in depth (front to back), 5 inches in width (side to side) and about 6 inches in height. (top to bottom) The bag has 4 unique zippered compartments. Mine arrived with the provided "clip on" carrying strap."
    This bag is perfectly fine for carrying small things for when you are traveling and just need to carry your essentials.

• Sl
    sllickk Sep 30, 2016

One does not buy a membership to AARP for the travel bag. I know the bag is small but the reason to join AARP is for the benefits they offer. If they fit your life you join, if not don't join. Simple, isn't it?

• Ly
    Lynne Anders Sep 21, 2016

at least some of you got the bag.. We have been a member for 2-3 years...waiting for the bag since then... I have even written letters... like the one lady said...it was big enuf for our diabetic supplies when we traveled... I expected more honesty from AAR.P NO WAY would I go for their insurance, their travel ...nothing...im not sure why we even have the card...but I expect it won't be renewed...and I will announce my dissatifing taste to my friends on FB... Linda Anders aarp MEMBER in Racine Wisconsin

• Te
    Teresa Carlton Aug 23, 2016

I was supposed to get this travel bag when I joined. Never received it. Call today to request the bag again and after being belittled by the customer service agent reading from a script she finally agreed to send me her current free offer in 4 to 6 weeks. I have very little expectations the replacement bag will ever arrive and no intentions of renewing my subscription. I too feel AARP is taking advantage of seniors.

Neil Riordan Jul 21, 2016

I googled AARP gift just to try and figure out just what the hay the sent me. It is like 4 blue bags with zippers that have AARP on them. They are different sizes. What the hell are these supposed to be good for. Now I see they are giving out a neat container that holds stuff in the trunk of your car. That may have been more sueful than these stupid looking bags. I mean what the hell am I supposed to do with these other than give them to Goodwill and let them figure it out.

• La
    latebloomer Jul 21, 2016

One can get much cheaper Medicare supplemental insurance through AARP, however, so membership is good for that. I will renew, therefore, and was curious about the bag; I looked for some general information about the bag (as there would be on a site if one were buying something similar) and there is no information.

• Ag
    Aggravated shopper Jul 18, 2016

I think you are mistaken, there have been numerous commercials from AARP and both sides of the issue all saying to let AARP know what you think on the health care issue. You said that you were not asked however these commercials again for both sides with call in info have been on CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, CBS nightly news, etc... I am sorry if you personally were not contacted but there has been ample opportunities to voice feelings.

I called and supported AARP endorsing this health plan, its not perfect or frankly even that great but it is far superior to the health care our nation has right now. As a person currently on medicare I know that I am in decent health coverage shape but what about the millions without or with little health insurance. 10% unemployment right now and these people did not all choose to be unemployed or without health insurance for themselves or family.

The health care system is broken and any patch is better than nothing how health providers can charge higher amounts to the people paying cash( such as for dr. visits) than they charge medicare is not right. Should be a set amount and the way they are paid should have no factor in the amount paid. Also as things are RIGHT NOW insurance companies can change what they cover at any time the want such as mammograms and medications one day is covered next day not at the insurance companies whim without notice. Check it out there are many insurance companies dropping yearly mammograms. This bill will help in making insurance follow more guidelines.

I do wish there would be a better solution to our nations health care crisis but until both sides decide to work with one another and take politics out of the debate, we need something to happen because it is messed up bad right now and this bill may make things easier for most.

I forgot that I also received a mailing from AARP on this matter so for you to say "NO ONE ASKED ME OR ANY OTHER DUE PAYING MEMBERS..." is quite mistaken perhaps you did receive mailings or watched the info on tv but you already made up your mind so you blocked it out.

By the way I am a republican and consider myself very conservative but somewhere there has to be change so I am keeping an open mind for ALL people not just myself.

• Su
    SusanMac Jul 18, 2016

The government cannot handle what they have now...Friend of the Court, , Social Security, Disability, Workman's comp, Food stamps, Medicare... So what makes anyone think that adding another poorly controlled service is going to be any better...just more loop holes and more hoops to jump throught. Everything you thought you worked for and you think you have coming to you is a lie, just wait and see. Those who have never needed to use government programs still beleive...but just wait!

• Ca
    CARROLL G ADAMS Jul 18, 2016

AARP ID [protected], I HAVE HAD THIS ACCOUNT FOR YEARS AND YEARS NEVER MISSED A PAYMENT, SOMEHOW MY PAYMENT DID NOT GO THROUGH ON 8/16/09 .THIS IS THE FIRST PAYMENT I MAKE EACH MONTH AND NEVER MISSED A PAYMENT SINCE 1992, 17 YEARS, NOW IN ORDER TO KEEP MY LOW INTEREST RATE I HAVE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT, JUST BECAUSE I MADE A MISTAKE ON MY COMPUTER AND IT DIDN'T MAKE THE PAYMENT. I THINK THIS IS UNJUST AND UN FAIR, AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN OFFERED A GRACE PERIOD ON THIS PAYMENT. I'M ALMOST 70 YEARS OLD WITH EXCELENT CREDIT, WITH17 YEARS ON THIS CARDBECAUSR OF ONE MISTAKE IM BEING TREATED LIKE THIS.THIS IS A UNREASONABLE

• Dj
    djr in colorado Jul 18, 2016

I am extremely disappointed that AARP had decided to endorse the Pelosi Health Care Bill. NOBODY ASKED ME OR ANY OTHER DUES PAYING MEMBER WHAT WE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS FISCALLY INSANE LEGISLATION. $500 billion dollars in medicare funds for seniors are gone in a puff of smoke! The pro-Pelosi Bill decision by AARP may represent one of greed by the executives, since AARP probably receives large sums of money for its medicare health insurance plans. The new Pelosi Health Czar alone will decide which insurance plans can participate in the pool of 'allowable and available' companies under the new plan. Guess who will remain prominently on the list! Guess who should not pay money to support this organization! Think people!

• Bg
    bgholtz Jul 18, 2016

Refuse to address a $20 reimbursement for Administration for vaccine in DR'S office. Coverage booklet says this fee will be reimbursed. Reps cannot make a decision and supervisors do not call back as promised. By part D insurance elsewhere.

maesextonbrown Jul 18, 2016

over charging, incorrect billing, different response for different customer service reps.Unable to adequately explain billing changes .bills suddenly higher and coming back to back

Chamele Mar 12, 2019

@maesextonbrown When I 1st signed up for Hartford AARP insurance, I had to join AARP; but in the ensuing years, AARP membership was not required.
    NOW they have instituted a policy that you concurrently must belong to AARP or your rates will go up. They advertise that they understand seniors' needs. But their continual nickel & diming of their senior customers says otherwise.

• Pr
    presin Jul 18, 2016

Don’t waste money on the website www.dating.aarp.org. I registered there and paid for the membership, but I met only person, but he didn’t use this website frequently. After that I wanted to cancel the membership, but I couldn’t return money. They didn’t reply to my emails and I was really disappointed that I used it. I wonder if there are other people, who had the same experience. Let’s share views about this website.

• Tr
    travelpro Jul 18, 2016

We used AARP to book several hotels/motels for a trip out west. When in Vernal, UT the hotel (the Landmark Inn - an outstanding small hotel) advertised rooms at $65 single. We prepaid AARP/Expedia $119 before tax several weeks before our trip. When we got the bill from the hotel it showed that the hotel had billed $83.30 before tax. AARP had marked up this room 43%.
    All contacts with AARP are through India.
    We also had need to cancel a room in Colorado. When we couldn't get help through AARP because their "system was down" we contacted the hotel directly. The hotel was very helpful in cancelling the room, but AARP wanted $25 per night for any cancellations or rescheduling. Again all dealings were through India.

• Ju
    judimari Mar 13, 2016

I've looked all over for a replacement aarp bag w strap around waist. Can't find anything as good as ASRP's. It holds my phone, charge cards and eyeglasses. Where can I get another?

• Bi
    Big_Dave Mar 12, 2016

This is a very helpful post. I received an AARP membership mailer yesterday, and YES the travel bag attracted my attention. My bride suggested I just send a check with the mailer and be done with. But, I'm an impatient eGuy, so I visited the AARP website. I saw nothing about the FREE travel bag, so I Googled "AARP free travel bag" and found this post. After reading Tony's comments, I looked at the photo on the flyer and yes, at first glance the bag looks very large. BUT, on closer inspection, I noticed a pen in a slot in the bag, which gives perspective to the size of the bag. Yes Tony, neigh unto useless is that bag. Thank you Tony for sharing your post and helping to save us some money. Gratefully signed by Dave W.

• Ev
    Eva Mae Earley Jan 20, 2016

I, also, receive MANY offers to renew my AARP membership. Some offers come with a "FREE" gift for joining or renewing. ALL of the complainers on here should REALLY read and UNDERSTAND these items are gratuities. In other words, a "thank you". Whenever has ANY person on here EVER received an expensive, wonderful "thank you" for a low cost membership??? The cost of membership may be $15 or $16 for an annual membership. BIG DEAL!!! That's the cost of a magazine subscription. Think about how much you pay for subscriptions for other publications. I still read the magazine and the newsletters. They are worth the low cost of the membership. I've had two of the black bags that have been described in other comments. It's a "Day Bag". It's NOT intended for major travel. I, also, have offers for the red and black "Travel Bag". It is described as, "Perfect for day trips, or at the gym". It's NOT an "overnight bag". Today, I received another offer. The gratuity is a "FREE WEEKEND DUFFLE BAG". Do I care about the size of any of these freebies? NO! It's as simple as that.

Comments

• Do
    Domenico63 Jan 19, 2016

Man O Man---I Just Paid To Join. And Now Reading These!!

• Gm
    gmorg033 Dec 11, 2015

I signed up to start Jan 1st. I already have my membership number. How do I get my free bag?

• Sk
    skhr Nov 03, 2015

I was about to mail my membership info to start a membership, but I was not sure of the deal. I read comments here and found them agreeable. In the USA there are a lot of such businesses to befoul people to exact money which unfortunately the law allows. Why the law allows? It is because of the fact that Business Lobby in the USA Congress is 2nd strongest lobby after Jewish lobby. Both these lobbies is a work of Jewish Zionists to control the world by exacting money from innocent people. Their product i3 which supposed to be for IT Databases was literally a hoax and they made millions. There are such companies and products that they come up with and go scott free; they are ruling the planet Earth!

Comment Guidelines