AARPtravel bag

T Review updated:

I recently joined AARP partly because they offered a free travel bag, the promotional flier showed a photo of the bag, it looked very nice. I expected a substantial bag with a shoulder strap, a bag which could carry a significant amount of belongings in when you "travel." When it came, it did look like what was pictured on the flier, but it was tiny, about the size of a small camera bag. Not really useful in a practical way, and not what one normally thinks of as a travel bag. The photo of the bag on the flier didn't show a person or anything next to it so you'd know that it was tiny. That was deliberate, in my opinion. I doubt anyone would want this next to useless bag. In my opinion, this is about as close to a scam as you can get without it legally being considered a scam.

Apr 22, 2009

My name is Douglas Hayes...I responded to an ad online for membership in AARP. The ad stated that i would recieve a travel bag if i signed up. I joined AARP that day. I recieved membership card within 2 weeks. I also emailed AARP asking where the travel bag was. That was March 10, 2009. To this date i have heard nothing from them

Aug 29, 2009

I joined AARP thoughts that I would receive discounts. No discounts on hotel, airline tickets, disney tickets, no discounts at all. Couple of dollards off of regular price that was it. No saving.

• B
      May 17, 2019

@Ida Longino You have to go into your account settings may it be a hotel reservation flights, ect and find where you can add your membership number to what ever! C your wanting the discount on. I went into my Walgreens account settings to link AARP and Walgreens in order to get extra rewards

• N
      Feb 02, 2010

While I am glad that this complaint confirmed my suspicions, the picture that I received of a free travel bag shows it holding a passport, a cellphone, and an AARP membership card. The bag doesn't appear to be much bigger than the passport, so I went online for more information. I will not be renewing my membership to receive this bag.

• Y
      Feb 21, 2010
    AARP - bogus extras
    aarl
    san antoni
    Texas
    Phone: [protected]

I have signed up 22 times because I wanted the travel bag. All I have received are more emails. Trying to reply to the email all I got was repliess that it could not be delivered. If you are so good why cant I get a real human being to talk to? What a rip off.

May 29, 2010

I had the very same experience. I thought AARP was a completely reliable company but it seems I am just out of luck. Hard to trust anyone these days and I won't be continuing my and my spouse's memberships. What's the point if they don't help you when you need it.

Margaret Poynot
    Louisiana
    AARP member

• F
      Jun 28, 2010

Sorry to tell you but AARP doesn't care about no one. They are just in it for the Money. It would be the 5th largest business in they US in it was not a "non" profit company. All of the donations and membership fee go to two places. One upper management. Two is for all the lobbyist.

Jim Meyers, NewsMax.com
    April 27, 2005
    AARP Has Its Own Private Accounts

AARP, which collects more than $200 million in dues from its 35 million members each year, manages an investment portfolio of
    over $910 million!

The largest portion of that portfolio, $737 million, was invested in stocks and mutual funds in 2003, earning returns of $60 million,
    according to AARP's 2003 consolidated financial statement.

If they make that much money why do they still need donation or fee's for a "non" profit company? And they way they threat their members letters is so bad. Asking for help, info or anything... SO so bad...First hand knowledge.

• R
      Feb 08, 2011

I received the same bag and in my picture it was as though it was a large bag. What a joke. I'm sure now that it must have been camera manifulation. Absolutely good for nothing. Even has strap attachments but no strap. I don't think this thing would hold a deck of cards. Talk about feeling embarrassed. It's nice to know that it's not only JQ public that is trying to rip off the elderly but now AARP is doing it also. This will certainly be my last time signing up.

• R
      Feb 08, 2011

Don't worry, when you get it you won't want it.

Mar 07, 2011

We also joined to receive the bag, expecting a bag like 3 ft high. What we got will maybe hold 2 cans of pop and a wallet in the back zipper part. They made it look like a good size bad with many uses. I even had to call weeks after we joined because we had not received it. It finally showed up like 3 weeks later. And i dont see much savings on anything else either, I doubt that we will rejoin when it comes up again.

• T
      Mar 20, 2011

I didn't have much of a reason to join AARP. Most of the people that I knew didn't have much to show for their membership, except for the magazine, and their advocacy seems to not matter much in Capitol Hill (The current legislature seems bent on reducing benefits). But, I saw the travel bag and Ithought "let's give it a try." Well after the comments I have seen here, I know not to even try. Thank you.

• C
      Apr 25, 2011

I too will admit that the "travel bag" which I received was considerably smaller than anticipated. That being said however, I will suggest that it is not "useless" as indicated in previous remarks. It can be quite useful for toting around smaller items. I will find a use for it in carrying around with me my medical, first aid and diabetic supplies on those longer day hikes. I'm sure that others with a little imagination will also find a beneficial use for this bag. The bag itself is approximately 2½ inches in depth (front to back), 5 inches in width (side to side) and about 6 inches in height. (top to bottom) The bag has 4 unique zippered compartments. Mine arrived with the provided "clip on" carrying strap. The bag seems well constructed and durable while maintaining a desireable appeal to the eye. It's perhaps a little smaller than your typical "fanny pack" but in my opinion far more appealing and attractive. I did not join AARP exclusively for the bag offer but it was a nice incentive bonus. I would suggest to AARP that perhaps they shoul re-phrase the term "Travel Bag" into something more appropriate such as a "Lite Tote Bag" or something which distinguishes it from a suitcase sized travel accessory. It's really more comparable to a small purse or fanny pack as I previously mentioned. Hope this will help clear up some discrepencies and confusion. ~Michael

Jun 22, 2011

I feel like a complete idiot. I, too, was on the edge about joining AARP. But the travel bag made me decide to join. I was planning a short trip and a bag for "overnight", about large enough for some toiletries, a towel, and a change of clothes, sounded perfect.
    I guess you know what I got. I admit not having taken the time to examine too carefully. But an "overnight" bag, in common English, is a bag that holds what one would need for a night, doesn't it?
    Not sure I should have joined now since I have lost my trust in anything they now offer.

• G
      Jun 30, 2011

Unlike many of you I really liked the AARP travel bag and used it all winter until a seam came apart. In spite of the fact that it didn't hold up, I would like to have another one because it was such a handy camera/passport/money/cell phone/sunglasses bag. My AARP membership is paid up possibly for my entire lifetime so I hate to add another year to it just to get another bag. I've looked on the internet and have been unable to find anything like it -- especially for the price.

Apr 10, 2017

@GoMary I bet you will be able to get it at Goodwill, when all these angry people through them out.

• N
      Jun 06, 2018

@GoMary I would check your local Goodwill or thrift shop. I see brand new ones there all the time. Most likely donated by people like the ones on here complaining. ;) I've even bought one because as you mention they are quite handy. Apparently some people expect too much. That said AARP should change the description or perhaps simply put the dimensions easily clearing up any confusion.

Sep 25, 2011

I too rejoined & thought the free bag that was shown would be great for traveling boy was I duped! The picture showed it holding water bottles & said it was insulated wrong wrong this bag is useless! AARP hasn't done anything for us no discounts just a magazine with promises need to get my money back!!

Oct 01, 2011

I'm glad I decided to look into customer reviews for this bag. Actually the picture that I received does show, among many other things, a bottle that resembles "Vitamin Water" in the bag where about the top 3 inches or so is sticking out of the bag. Needless to say, I am kind of shocked by some of the other stories I am reading about not only this bag but how certain people are being treated with their insurance and so forth from the AARP representatives. In fact I just went out to my mailbox and brought my renewal with enclosed check back in.
    I'm going to think about renewing all together. I will continue to read a little more from the folks out there about AARP before I decide to do anything. Just my two cents.

• V
      Jan 12, 2012

I joined AARP because they offered a free travel bag if I joined. The picture of the bag showed a banana, a fruit drink in a large plastic bottle, a candy bar and some mail that the bag was holding. Plus there was a set of keys attached to the bag. So all in all I'm thinking that the bag should be average travel bag size. But since I haven't ever received the bag yet, i got on their site and started reading some of the complaints from other people about the same thing. But they got their bag. But they said that the bag was not travel size at all. It was very small. Maybe enough room to hold a pack of cigarettes. That to me is false advertisement. Anyways, I would appreciate if you would send me the promo travel bag a.s.a.p. please!!!

Jan 18, 2012

I understand that the bag was free. However, that being said, once mine came I had to go back to the Aarp site to even figure out what it was. Mine looks NOTHING like the picture. There is one outside compartment and it is bright red. I have NO idea how it would be useful for anything when you are traveling. Looks like something somebody could grab away from you. I certainly wouldn't put in my passport, etc.

Jan 24, 2012

I am a tour director for a coach line, and I would LOVE to have that bag. Anyone offering freebies? I'm trying to contact AARP and see if they have any more. It would be perfect for my job!! Barb

Jan 24, 2012

I just received my bag after thinking it only went to those joining and not renewing membership as I had done...
    I wanted to find a picture of it to know how it was "presented" and for what use exactly because it is smaller than I remember it. Mine has an insulated "larger" compartment, with drawstring closure capability (maybe for a bottle of water and fruit...?) and then there's a smaller velcroed compartment on the outside of the larger one (maybe for cell phone and/or sun/reading glasses...?), an adjustable strap and a metal clip (for keys?)... I still can't think of a use for it, but I will - it was a "gift" after all - thank you - and as the saying goes...

• H
      Feb 08, 2012

At least you all received a bag. I signed up for a 5 year membership. Continue to get solicitations to join and NEVER received a travel bag. Can't find a customer service number. When my membership expires, i will not renew. I can use my AAA card for discounts.

Mar 05, 2012

I don't understand all of the complaints about this bag -- the promotional leaflet clearly shows its size. There are car keys, a banana, a pen, etc. clearly pictured. It's a small bag intended to carry small things, and it hasn't been misrepresented.. "Insulated Travel Bag" hardly means a 21 inch rollaboard!! And it's free, so to call it "false advertising" or intended to "dupe" people or to expect a "3 foot high" bag doesn't make sense.

Mar 07, 2012

Apparently AARP has been sending this crappy little good for nothing bag for a long time (looks like the complaints started in 2009 on here). The bag in the photo shows a bag with 3 zippered pockets and a large AARP logo on the bottom pocket. I renewed my membership only to receive an insulated miniature bag that as others have said, isn't good for much of anything, and they had the balls to send me my membership card with ANOTHER offer for the zippered bag when you give a gift membership. I emailed them a nice email asking for a replacement as I'd thought they'd shipped out the wrong one. Never heard back from them. They sent me renewal notices I don't know how many times per year when I was only a member for one year several years ago. I shouldn't have fallen for the ad, but I did because nowhere on it did it say anything about them having the option to replace the bag with a similar item at their discretion. I like their magazine, but I'm not happy with the way they communicate things to their CUSTOMERS.

Mar 27, 2012

It appears to me that there have been different bags represented in different media, i.e., TV, print and on-line.
    Everything from a small wheeled carry-on type bag, back-pack type bag, grocery tote bag and two different bags called travel bags (small insulated red bag with draw string & black passport/cell phone/wallet bag).
    I actually connected via phone with customer service to make my request for a bag and still was confused by what I was going to receive. Descriptions and dimensions of the items offered were not clear. I must admit that I should not complain that the item I received was not what I expected. After all, it was FREE. For those of us who may have thought about joining AARP and finally decided to join because we thought there was a freebee bonus to do so, a valuable lesson has been learned or relearned. I only joined for one year and will have that time to see if there will be any tangible benefit to continue membership beyond that.

Mar 27, 2012

The only benefit to joining AARP is that on Tuesdays you get 10% off at Michael's and from 40-10pm you get 20% off at Denny's. Woopie. Not impressed. Still no response from AARP to my earlier request for the blue zippered bag instead of the insulated one that I have no use for. I typically don't look a gift horse in the mouth when I get freebies, but when they don't even respond to your questions I can only presume that the lack of customer service must be their one strong point. I'll not renew my subscription with them for anything and will gather every piece of junk mail I receive (whether it's from them or not) and put it in their postage paid envelopes and send it back to them from now on.

Jun 06, 2017

@indigogirl1 You may find that many restaurants provide 10% to 15% "senior citizen" discounts at certain hours. Many of them neither advertise it, display a sign, nor have a "senior discount card"...you MUST ASK for the discount.

•   Mar 27, 2012

I was going to subscribe to AARP but I will NOT now because of what was written about the insulated travel bag. I guess it should be called an insult travel bag. AARP should know that you can only make one first impression and they messed up with this offer.

•   Mar 27, 2012

I was going to subscribe to AARP but I will NOT now because of what was written about the insulated travel bag. I guess it should be called an "insult travel bag". AARP should know that you can only make one first impression and they messed up with this offer.

Mar 29, 2012

Well, after a couple of weeks of waiting for a response, I did finally receive an apology email from AARP regarding the incorrect travel bag. The email said they would send it in the next four weeks. The email I received is below. (I suggest to anyone who received the incorrect bag that you send an email to the email address below.

Thank you for contacting AARP. We appreciate hearing from you.

We have mailed the AARP Travel Pack you requested. You will receive
    it within the next four weeks.

Thank you again for contacting us. Please accept our apologies for
    the delay in getting back to you. It has been our pleasure to assist
    you.

Jaimie
    Member Communications
    [protected]@aarp.org

Apr 16, 2012

to: Tony S: you are absolutely correct - WHAT A RIP-OFF! HOW CAN AARP OFFER SUCH A DECEITFUL PRODUCT? I REALLY THOUGHT THE BAG WOULD BE BIG ENOUGH TO ROLL AROUND - OR PULL LIKE A SUITCASE. WHAT DECEIPT!

SHAME ON YOU AARP - AND TAKING ADVANTAGE OF SENIORS IN THIS WAY. THIS MAKES ME WANT TO CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP!

Apr 26, 2013

Retired USMC here and I've been traveling and considering joining AARP for hotel discounts. I have to giggle about all the comments I've seen regarding the "free bag". For 16$ anyone could go and buy the bag they want. Stating that they wouldn't have joined if they knew the bag was so small or that they won't renew because the bag is small is hysterical. Bless your hearts if that is how you decide whether or not to join something. Oh well, guess the world needs people like that ...Amen :)

Jun 29, 2013

I haven't had AARP long. So I don't know of many discounts or anything of that sort. I've only came across one AARP discount and it was $9 discount a night off a hotel. It doesn't sound like much, but we stayed 7 days. So we saved $63 on the hotel. However since the discount is the reason why I signed up for AARP and the only discount I got I would subtract $16 from that making the total discount $47. You can't beat saving $47 on a hotel stay which you were going to purchase without a discount to begin with. I also signed up using the bag promotion. I had one laying around my house since they came in the mail all the time. I agree the bag was deceiving. But I'm still happy about buying AARP. I'll be staying at the same hotel on a couple more occasions over the next couple years so hopefully I'll beable to get that discount each time. However, if this discount stopped I don't know if I would continue with AARP. Guess it depends if I see any more discounts that apply to me.

Aug 13, 2013

Hey if anybody doesnt want theirs I'll take it!

Sep 07, 2013

I gave it to my girlfriend and she loves it. It is just the right size for her needs. Unfortunately the seams have failed so we need a new one or two. Would any disappointed AARP member like to share? Thanks, David

• B
      Sep 13, 2013

Good god, you people need to get a grip. It's advertised as a "mini" bag. It seems perfectly suited to your mini minds.

Oct 29, 2013

I signed on for an extended membership to get this bag that I also thought was a travel bag. I received my membership card for the membership extension but received no bag. I guess they got so many complaints that they just stopped sending any bags at all!

• C
      Nov 02, 2013

You guys are hysterical. You want to complain about something you got for free. Give me a break people. If the reason you joined AARP was to get a free gift then you deserve what you get. I've been an AARP member for 5 years and it has paid for itself many times over. If I stay in a hotel room twice in one year I've made my money back. This doesn't count the 30% discount I get off my eyeglasses and the discount I get for the eye exam itself. I save money at Denny's, Dunkin Donuts, Outback, Carrabas and Papa John's. If you want a travel bag go buy one!

Nov 22, 2013

I got some tiny, tiny black bag no insulation wouldn't pay 50 cents for this is false advertising...they are ruining chances of getting anyone to join for another year...i either want insulated bag or money back...Linda Edgeworth 3120 rome rd.s.w. Plainville, Ga 30733

• A
      Jan 05, 2014

As voiced prior to my comment, I was slightly disappointed in the size of the FREE gift, but I found it more useful than I expected. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and it's hard to carry a bag on my shoulder/arm. The bag I have has velcro so I can actually attach it to my belt loops when I go for a walk or to the French Quarter/Riverfront. I joined AARP because of the benefits of membership. Discounts on life, auto, homeowner/rental insurance, travel, etc. Especially the pharmacy discounts available since even with ACA I cannot afford health insurance and am not eligible for medicare/medicaid. Also, I firmly believe in the "voice" of AARP in the government. More than once I've seen the power AARP can put forth on issues in the government. It's ALWAYS nice to get something for free, but if the only reason you're joining AARP is to get a free gift, you've completely missed the point ...

• Hi, my name is Chris,

I recently renewed my membership in AARP for 5 years. The free insulated travel gave me the incentive to renew it for so long. The bag looked rather large with a 1 liter soda in it, a few other items and looked like a nice travel piece. At first it didn't arrive, so I called them and received a bag like fanny pack all black and very small. I called them back and they promise to send me the correct insulated red and black bag. After what seemed like forever I received the red/black insulated bag. I was very disappointed in the size of the bag. It was about the same size as the fanny pack that goes around your waste for carrying money. It is a shame when an organization that is for senior citizens has to scam them to get members. To me that makes them untrustworthy. How can they represent me in Washington, DC or any place else when they have to scam us to get members. I thought that the bag would make a nice travel bag for small trips for an older person. With so many people out to get the elderly how can an organization that is suppose to be a benefit to us be trusted if they scam us when we first join them. It should be illegal for someone to falsely advertise something and not back it up. If you can't trust an organization geared up for your benefit, then the elderly are already lost in the shuffle. Who can they trust if not AARP. This organization was for people 50 and over. Now I don't know who it is for.

Disappointed from Washington, DC

Apr 12, 2014

The free gift was an incentive to join. While I understand it was FREE, it does not discount the fact that AARP leads consumers to believe it is something it is not. I think that is what most folks are complaining about. Had we all known it's size, etc., before subscribing, we would have not been disappointed when it arrived. It is not the type of advertising you would expect from AARP, especially considering the elderly are most often deceived or "taken for a ride" when it comes to marketing and advertising.
    I am happy to receive a free gift, I just want to know what it is.
    And, unlike the photo, and am happy to say that the bag I received is red, not black, and it DOESN'T read "AARP" anywhere on it! :)

May 31, 2014

I recently received my free "Deluxe Travel Organizer" when I renewed my AARP renewal. I also thought it would be much bigger. It would have been nice if they included instructions with the bag.