Zahran Operation & Maintenanceunethical behaviour/cheated of end of service

B

Zahran was awarded a three year contract for Technical Support Program to the Royal Saudi Air Force from 15 Jan 2015 to 14 Jan 2018. After negotiations, I arrived on 22 Mar 2015 via a business visa. Zahran circumvents the Saudi Ministry of Labor by requesting business visas for many of its employees for two reasons; 1) the individual is over 60 years old and cannot receive a work visa and 2) Zahran wants the employee on the job site as quickly as possible. In my case, the Royal Saudi Air Force told Zahran to get employees on the contract or risk losing the contract. I was the first westerner on the contract. My business visa is stamped "not for work", however Zahran attempted to get me to sign a contract, however I wouldn't without changes that they wouldn't make in the contract. But I continued to work and I was paid through 2015, 2016, and 2017. Rumors began to float around about a three month extension to the contract in September 2017. I drafted a letter to the project manager advising him that there was a rumor going around about an extension and that I had no desire to stay on the contract past the end of the original contract date (14 Jan 2018). He ccepted it and signed off on it. The agreement was that I would receive my airline ticket home, my full end of service bonus, I would receive my last month's salary, and I would use the balance of my vacation at the end of the contract to leave early.

In November, Zahran announces an extension to the contract for three months, 15 Jan 2018 until 14 Apr 2018.

Two weeks before I am to leave, (11 Jan 2018), Zahran assistant CEO says he will not honor the agreement. He tells me my "contract" doesn't expire until 21 Mar 2018. I ask for a copy of this contract and they cannot provide it. It doesn't exist. However I was given the following options...

1. Keep to my plan. Last day of work 11 Jan 2018, buy my own ticket, no end of service. Almost like a runner!

2. Stay until 21 Mar 2018 and hope they pay end of service and airline ticket, but with what the CEO said about business visas and not qualifying for Saudi Labor Law, they could pull the same things as now. And you stay longer for more salary, that's it. This cannot be my option as I start working in the US at Rockwell Collins in the beginning of Feb.

3. Change my "Letter of Intent" which was my agreement with project manager, to a letter of resignation. Here's the kicker! With a letter of resignation, you pay for your ticket home and receive only 1/3 of your end of service bonus.

4. This option will blow your mind! Get the RSAF to "fire" me. Being terminated will mean that I receive full end of service and Zahran will purchase the airline ticket home. How crazy is that!

To receive something rather than nothing, I feel I was coerced into the resignation. I left Saudi Arabia with Zahran owing me at least $9000.