Window Worldthe caulking used has black mold on all windows

G Review updated:

We chose Window World to do our replacement windows because of their reputation. Thirteen windows where installed in September of 2015. We noticed in August 2016 that all the caulking had turned black. We tried to clean with all type of cleaners but to no change. We notified Window World and they sent a person out to inspect. His name was Randy. He made pictures and told us that the company had made a change to the caulking used today. My wife (Mary Lou) was with the installer when the windows where installed. She remembers (Rocky) ran out of caulking on the 1st window and made a comment (I guess I can use this caulking) which leads us to believe they used a caulking that did have mold protection.
Window world did not call us back. I did a follow up and they said they would not do anything about the problem. After talking to the salesman (Don Clark), Don talked to one of the owners and they agreed to replace the caulking. When the installer showed up to do something about the caulking, he called the office and installation manager said they would not replace the caulking. He said our contract does not take care of mold. He was suppose to send me a copy of this. Our contract we signed does not say anything to this. I have pictures I can send to you. The salesman is suppose to talk to one of the owners. I have sent him two messages. If I do not get this resolved. I plan on small claims court, facebook, claim with the Nashville codes for poor workmanship, and visit the completion.

Angie O Sep 17, 2019

Very same thing happened to me. I live in Palmetto Florida and have been trying to get Window World of Southwest Sarasota to replace my caulk. Basically the answer has been, you live in Florida and there is mold.

Here is what I found out about the caulk they used, it was not up the code. Thankfully a Sherwin Williams rep gave me this information:

The Florida State Building Code changed with an effective date of June 30, 2015.
    Below is excerpt from the code referring to (caulking) or sealants.

Section:
    "5.4.4 Sealant Performance Specifications Gunnable sealants shall comply with
    AAMA 808.3 per AAMA 800 Section 1.4 or ASTM C920 Class 25 Grade NS or greater
    for proper joint expansion and contraction..."

What this means, all exterior penetrations in buildings are required to have at minimum,
    the following caulks or sealants (or equal);
    Loxon S1
    Loxon H1
    Loxon 2ns
    WL Silicones
    SherMax, WL ProMAX 300 & MaxFlex

No longer will we be in compliance by using 850, 950 or PowerHouse caulking for any
    EXTERIOR applications.
    These are minimum requirements of the Florida Building Code. If you need a copy of the spec, click the link below.

850, 950, PowerHouse caulking is still ok to use on interior joints and window / doors.
    This is a very important change. Please let me know of any questions.

I am attaching a picture of one of the windows taken 09Mar2017. Now all the caulk around all the windows, except of one, is Black. This a second home and will returning 02Nov2019 and I am sure I will have a mess to clean.

Comments

• Bi
    Bill Garfield Oct 23, 2019

One Word... "KILZ"

KILZ (Original) is an oil-based sealer, primer and stainblocker. Instantly covers mold on caulk. Available in different pigments, we used the white pigmented product on our Windows World "black moldy caulk" and are thrilled with the immediate results. Takes only 5 minutes per window. Use on a calm day or else spend the time to mask. **REMOVE SCREENS** first.

KILZ is manufactured by MasterChem Industries, 3135 Old Highway M, Imperial, MO 63052-2834. 1-866-PRIMER-1

• Ju
    Judi Beck-Gerrie Jul 12, 2020

@Bill Garfield Thanks. I really hope this works! My windows look like crap.