West Jet Airlinesbad service

R Review updated:

West jet doesn't let me on

Due to unforseen circumstances, I get to my gate 5 minutes late. 25 minutes to go before the plane leaves. I've pre-checked myself the night before. 2 bags need to go through. I'm ready. But, west jet says I won't be let through. They say it's the gate's fault. West jet won't make a case for me. Instead of west jet putting the bags through and sending me on my way, i'm left pleading with them. They tell me that as a courtesy I will have to pay for 2/3 of another ticket for a plane leaving 3 hours later, and that will be standby, no guarantee of getting on. I've never been treated this way in all my 30 years of flying. Never. I've waited seated on a plane for 25 minutes for late customers. 5 minutes late at the gate and not let in? Appalling. This is the clincher for me. Let's let as many international carriers into the domestic market as possible. Between west jet and air canada (Losing bags on a regular basis) it's a gong show in this country. Where do I sign a petition to crush this monopoly?

Chirpy Jan 02, 2009

First off, the reason that WestJet does not accept bags less than 30 mins prior to departure is beacause it takes quite a while for them to pass throught airport baggage systems. In all likelyhood, the bags will take longer than it takes for you to get to the gate, and you will not receive them in your destination city. In this case, because you are late arriving at the airport to check in, you would be required to pick up your bags when they arrive later in your destination city.
    As well, when you miss a flight, as is your case, most carriers will forfeit your fare. As a courtesy, Westjet will allow you to fly standby on the next available flight to your city. Yes, there is a charge. This charge is in place to ensure that folks do not abuse the system. Imagine if Westjet said "Come for your flight whenever you feel like it! ", "No worries, we'll take you anytime, no matter what, at no extra charge". I hope you understand how chaotic this would be.
    On a final note, before pushing from the gate, a count has to be confirmed and various checks have to be completed. This takes time, and has to be done efficiently.
    Lastly, how do you think a plane full of 136 people would feel if Westjet came on and said, "Sorry folks! We are waiting for 1 person, who may take upwards of 30 minutes to get here. Hope you don't mind just sitting here waiting for him. He'd really like us to. We would rather piss off 135 people than one guy who is too irresponsible to get to the airport on time. Thanks!"
    Not cool. Sorry if you had a bad experience, but there it is.

• Fr
    frequent flyer Feb 12, 2009

Obviously, Chirpy works for West Jet and his bias is obvious.

West Jet has a serious problem and I"m taking my business elsewhere after flying probably 50 times with WestJet in the past year.

The problem is West Jet rips people off with this standby fare instead of being courteous and letting its passengers fly on the next flight. There is no loyalty to frequent flyers. No courtesy for people who can make it to the gate well in time for the flight.

This is BS.

West Jet doesn't even let passengers through after the 30 minute cutoff if they have no bags.

WEstjet nickels and dimes everyone from a seat assignment to headphones to blankets, to change fees, etc.

• Fu
    fuggnorton Jun 06, 2009

West Jet is by far and away the best way to fly in Canada...ive been 90-100% satisfied every single time

• Na
    natalie Jun 17, 2009

yes, chirpy must work for westjet. he/she knows all the procedures for airports. one thing forgotten though is the fees for docking at the gate over allotted amount of time. varies by airport. usually airlines hold for connections that they themselves delayed. probably what you have witnessed. i do work at an airline. sorry but one late person v. other people boarded and paying out to hold. hmmm...

• Wo
    wow1111 Sep 11, 2009

Westjet vs Criminal Organizations

I would like to voice my opinion about Westjet. I recently purchased a vacation package to Las Vegas for my friend’s stage for $492.00 . In the past two days my 27 day old baby has become ill, so like a good father I contacted Westjet to cancel my flight. I informed the Westjet rep that I was not looking for money back, and I only wanted credit so I would be able too use it for another vacation with my family on a later date. The response they gave me was, there was nothing they could do because it was within 21 days of the flight. They also informed me that I was not allowed to sell my ticket to friends or family and if I did not go I would be out $492.00. I am not a rich person and I work very hard for everything I have and when wealthy corporations treat people like this one is to wonder, who is worse criminal organization “GANGSTERS” or these so called wealthy “legitimate organizations” like Westjet. At least the gangsters don’t rob you and then tell you we thank you for you business and have a wonderful day.
    Who’s the real criminal organization?

Date: September 11, 2009

• Sc
    scottieA Oct 13, 2009

I've had no issues with Westjet. especially when you compare them to the fiasco that Canada3000 and Jet's GO was. I'm surprised that they told you that. When I missed my flight to Orlando, I had a fight credit that was good for 6 months. You should call back and speak to a manager. I unfortunately wasn't travelling anywhere within that six months and lost the credit, but at least I had the option.

Realism Nov 04, 2009

I suspect Rick and Wow1111 are only telling half of the story, or (ahem) stretching the truth just a tad. I worked for Westjet years ago, and I still have friends who work there. Like any corporation, they have their good points/bad points; however, I find if you are honest when you screw up, are polite, and ask if the Westjetter can help, they will go out of their way to help you.

In other words, just b/c they are customer service, doesn't mean you can use them as a doormat.

If you actually get someone who is giving you static, and you have a legitimate complaint, RESPECTFULLY ask to speak to someone else (as in "ok, we're having some kind of communication breakdown, and you have work to do...is there a manager or supervisor who could go through this policy with me?").

Sugar versus vinegar folks. It ain't rocket science.

Andrew Ungar Dec 02, 2009

I find it really revolting that anytime I try to phone Westjet, they put me on hold and I have to wait 50 minutes+ before I get connected to an agent. This is not acceptable in the 21st century.

• Sc
    scott green Jan 02, 2010

first i would like to say i have never flown on west jet and i don, t know if i ever will i had a trip planed back in november to cuba westjet vactions had to cancel five days before we left as we had a death in the family. could not get cancellation insurance do to the fact that the illness my famliy member had was un insurable. we booket through sell off vacations. the problem we have is that we were informed that west jet was a compassionate air line and ther was a chance we could get travel voughers to use at a later date. so we thought 50/50 chance this might work out. my problem we can, t get a straight answer i there way just would like to know if they can help us if not then what can you do {move on } at this point we are out 2000, 00 dollers

• Ni
    NicePerson Mar 06, 2010

truly I flew with West Jet a few times... always short flight Toronto... and found them very nice... the personel.. had no problems... even when I phoned to book a flight to Florida this past January... I did not book on the website.. because I also booked a one week trip the last week of Febraury for my daughter who joined me at my place in Florida with her little dog of 6.2 pounds. I received a very good service on the phone... I got all the info needed to make the trip with the small dog... etc etc... but also read the webpages to make sure all was done properly... the trip down for my daughter was with no problems... she had asked the vet to give her something so the dog would be sleepy. She was given a quarter of a pill and the other quarter was for the trip back. The dog after only an hour started to act up so my daughter kept the carrier with the dog inside on her lap and this kept the dog calm. I have to mention that on her way down there was a lady next to her who was scared of dogs.. but she did not complain that my daughter held the dog in the carrier on her laps... actually she helped her by passing her whatever the hostess on the plane offered... and the fact that she had the carrier on her laps did not bother anyone and noone said anything.

On our way back my daughter decided to give the other quarter of the pill to the dog 20 minutes before we left.. thinking it would keep her calm on the trip back... instead the little beast fought sleep and started to try to get out of her carrier maybe about 45 minutes in the flight... my daughter put the carrier on her laps and this calmed the dog.

We were sitting in front of the plane aisle 7... my daugher was sitting next to the window, I next to her and this other lady next to me.

I fell asleep like I usualy do on these flights ( i do believe the air in the plane is not great) but I was awaken by this continious talking... the hostess kept on repeating to my daughter that she has to put the carrier under the front seat... my daughter tried to explain the problem and that she know not to take out the dog from the carrier but by holding it on her lap it seemed to keep her calm so she would not bother anyone...but the hostess continued to repeat the same thing.

After I listened to this going on for 5 minutes I said to the hostess... you have been saying the same thing for at least 4 times... do you not think it is time to stop now? you also woke me up... she answered me that she did not say it 4 times but three... I did not respond to this (to me it seemed) childish answer!... she then said.. that if someone would complain to the fact that my daughter was holding the carrier on her laps she would have to put it back under the seat. I told her that since she was sitting next to the window and I next to her ... I would def. not complain about this... i turned to my fellow passenger and asked her if this bothered her and she said no!... So then since it does not bother us who are sitting next to the carrier who would it bother...do not tell me you will go till the back of the plane and ask until you find someone who says it bothered them ... which by the way the only way the y would find out is that she tells them there is a young lady sitting on seat 7 who is holding on her lap a carrier with a 6.2 pound dog...

She was very upset.. and left... excuse me I was very upset that i was awaken... but I was very polite and calm when I spoke to her... she was not...

After all excuse me, I do understand that a dog should not be out of its carrier... but what is the problem after paying $100.00 West Jet so the dog could do the trip if the the dog was in his carrier which was on my daughter's lap??? this kept her calm (dog) is it not better for everyone...???

rules? well strangely enough I recieved a e-mail from West Jet just a few days ago... and there it gave the reglulations of dogs trvavelling on board and there was no mention of the carrier having to be under the seat on the flight!... by the way she did put the carrierback under the seat on landing.. which I found dangerous for my daughter cause she had to keep her hand on it since the little dog was finding a way out!! smart little thing!...

Regulations? What about the regulations about children playing in the corridors of the plane...? Is that not more dangerous????????? for themselves and other????...

Surely pl who do not care much for animals... would say they have no place on planes... lets say I agree with you... then why let these animals on board at the cost of $100.00... just do what Transat does... no animals period!... not comlpicated right???... allergies???... if pl are on board that have allergies ... it is not funny i agree... but no matter if the dog is under the seat or on a lap in their carrier it is the same thing... I doubt this would change anything... I think I properly covered all bases... for i am sure someone q=wouold come out with certain of the details i just rev. mentioned...

Tell me something... there are regulations and I agree with them ... to keep the flight safe for everyone on board... but there has to be better ways to epxress one self and I have flown many many times... in my 58 years of life.. to Europe etc...

The same hostess before hand... when we were about to take off stopped to the lady on the seat next to me.. The lady had put on herlistening device (thin ones) to listen to her musci and read a book since there was a little child acrosso the aisle that kept on crying... the hostess told her to remove them because if she had to get up fast she could choke with them on and then she would have to practice life res. on her and she was not in the mood to do it... funny eh? West jet personel likes to joke alot... but... the lady looked at her in astonishement and so did I... and she told her.. but I still hear what is going on around me even if I have them on... to which the hostess answered... I will stand here till you remove them!!!...the lady was a grandmother a very distiguished lady... and I feel she was embaressed as I was... and removed them after looking at me!!!... but it seems to me there is other ways to talk to a passenger or no??? and besides I most have taken over 30 flights including toEurope... and I have to be honest this is the first time I hear something like this!...
    It almost feels like they are doing us a favor to let us fly on the plane... this is nuts!...

By the way... so much rubish... I have waited several times for pl who boarded the plane late... though they tell us we have to be 2-3 hours before at the airport... so pls do not tell me that they cannot put the suitcase on the plane if your a bit late... though honestly I would not dare be late.

Actually it happend to me once in Rome.. I was terribly late... I had to run to where the place was waiting... let me tell you I was as read as the sweater I was wearing, , , , it was winter...they told me you have 10 minutes to get to the plane!!! I must have been a hell of a sight cause when I got on board not only did I get bad looks from other passengers... but the personel actually made me go in the back of the plane and made me drink water... this was with Air Canada... I will never forget this flight back home cause I was invited by the pilot to go visit him after my meal... in the front cabin... which also won me many dirty looks ehhe!!!...oh well! ( a little humor and nice memorys...

Anyways I am disgusted of the treatment on board on our way back this January 28th... it ruined the trip back for my daugher and myself... strange the same lady was in front when we dibarked from the plane and said good bye and hoping they had a fgood trip to everyone except us... she turned her face as we passed.. maybe it is better like that... surely i thought this company was better then this... not to forget that maybe you should tell your personel that when they talk on the speaker it is not necessary to talk loud... they are heard very well indeed... I am dispointed... tell you the truth...

Really? Mar 06, 2010

Nice Person: You are insane! Do you think rules don't apply to you and your daughter? You wasted 3 minutes of my life reading your crap.

You even thought it was not safe to put the dog underthe seat for landing?!?!?! You definitely should not be flying or traveling for that matter.

Wow!

• Wo
    World wide flyer Apr 08, 2010

WOW- I totally agree that some of these people are idiotic and obnoxious. I wasted my time reading your crap about the dog on your kids lap. RULES ARE RULES PEOPLE!!!
    With how some of you are reacting to why your not 'treated special' is insane! I do not work for west jet or any airline for that matter but I fly lots and there is a reason why things are put under the seat before take off ect. So from the bottom up, let me defend any airline out there.

~Some dude who's complaining on not getting through to the phones? Get real- that happens in every large company.
    ~And the person about cancellation insurance? If you are healthy- you can get cancellation service. You were prob just to cheap to get it.
    ~The issue with the baby getting ill and canceling. I agree it seems only like half the story. Rules are rules, otherwise people take advantage of that and you dont run a business anymore. You cant sell a ticket for security reasons, but people dont care as long as they get there money back right? Whats more important money or security? hmmm... Rules are rules.. And even mentioning the word 'gangster' makes me wonder what kind of person you are. No one is out to get you, so dont make it out to be like that.
    ~And standBy.. well if YOU cant be courteous to the company for arriving on time, why should they be courteous to you? We can all only be accommodating the best we can right? I run a successful business and its the same thing. Waste my time and pay up. Do you even have an inkling to how much money it costs to run a plane? Your 'payment' is pennies! And if they dont let you through because of time than maybe you should get your act together and arrive on time like the RULES state. And please..every airline will ask you to pay for blanket/headphones ect unless you pay more for the ticket. But this is not your case. because you pay less for your ticket so why are you complaining? Go pay more overall somewhere else and see how much they enjoy a person like you on there flight. Point made!

What a lot of people fail to see is you only see the here and now & what you want and not the before and after and rules implicated for reasons. When your dealing with thousand of people, one person can screw up a lot for many other people. So do you think we should all be a little less selfish as individuals & put others before ourselves before we go off and loose our temper over minor things in life?

• Bi
    bigger guy in 20 D Apr 12, 2010

I too have a complaint with Westjet but maybe for the wrong reason. I recently flew from Toronto to Edmonton. We weren't in the air for 10 minutes and the flight crew starting their trips up and down the aisle. Now I admit I'm a bigger guy and my sholder sticks out in the aisle some, so when someone goes past I have to turn it inwards, so perhaps I'm wrong to complain because some of it is my fault. It starts with the drink tray, and then the snacks, and then the garbage collection, the headphones and the blankets and then another round of drinks, and now the people that have had to much liquids that you have served are now heading up and down the aisle toward the bathroom and back. Well when I tried to rest it seemed like the entire plane was doing a Chinese fire drill. Please wait 2 hours before you serve some refresments and pickup the garbage 1/2 hour before landing. I think you are giving too much service, stop it. Let us rest on the plane, and if you need to have people eat and drink so much on the plane, I hope you have a plan to make the seats larger, because your feeding your next compainers that the seats on the plane are to small.

• Wi
    will never fly westjet! May 30, 2010

To be honest you people ( are very close minded and most likely work for west jet...the story with the ill baby...have a little compassion..and that is the truth because the exact thing happened to me two days ago!!! but it was my husband who is sick...so before you judge get your info straight!!! you would think that an airline who wastes millions of dollars on advertising that "we are owners too and we do whatever it takes to please our customers" are a bunch of hippocrates!!! I WILL NEVER FLY WESTJET AGAIN AND AT LEAST 20 OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS WILL BE DOING THE SAME!!

Also they have no customer service...literally I was told that many times on the phone and the call centre people have no idea what they are talking about!!! This will not stop here and I am planning on pursuing this issue..I will not go unheard and the man with the ill baby I wish you all the best and you should not let them get away with this either!

• Wi
    will never fly westjet! May 30, 2010

Oh and world wide flyer...YOU CANNOT PURCHASE INSURANCE WITH A CONDITION THAT JUST HAPPENED...you must do it 21 days in advance you idiot!!!If you do find a way to purchase it they will not cover you...once again west jet are a bunch of hypocritical liars! FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! Once again read before you post useless crap!

• Na
    natalie May 31, 2010

ha. Do you think that an airline IS an insurance company? All businesses have to follow the same rules even when selling it onto you. You can purchase travel insurance direct instead of going through airlines, travel agencies, etc. Insurance is an advance thing, you know, like car and home insurance. Good luck to you if you are buying it just so you can cancel - time limits, investigations. Ha ha ha ...

• Ca
    Calgary to Toronto Jun 01, 2010

Here is my fiasco with the Great West Jet!
    Flying back from Calgary, checked myself in at the self serve machine and got a boarding pass, went along to drop off my bag, agent asked to weight my bag(s), so I placed the one I was checking in on the scale, it was tagged and then I was asked to place my carry on bags on the scale too so I did, they turned out to be 2-3 ponds over the limit so the agent told me I am not allowed to carry the bags on board I have to either take something out of them or check them. Given the nature of what I had in my bags I could not do either, so I explained to the agent that these are the same bags I left Toronto with and carried them on board on a West Jet flight and if anything the bags are lighter now then when I left Toronto. So the agent in an unusual West Jet manner (I fly 6 to 8 times a month, 75% of the time with West Jet, My office's instructions were always to book me on a West Jet flight, unless Air Canada is offering a far cheaper flight) he told me he will be getting the supervisor however the answer will be the same. Supervisor came! off course the answer was same, I used as much "SUGAR" as I possibly had in me however the attitude of the West Jet agent and supervisor got worst and worst and worst.
    I was not allowed to get on board the plain. So I took my bags, went over to Air Canada, bought a one way ticket to Toronto and carried on my bags with me!
    When arrived in Toronto I had to go to T3 to get my car, so I thought I go see West Jet Customer Service to get a refund! I was told that the check in agents are the Customer Service Agents I should get in the line with all the passengers trying to check in, and discuss my issue once I get to an agent! So I get in the line wait for 25 min or so to be told that I missed my flight and there is no refund. I asked what do you mean "I missed my flight! I was never allowed on that flight!" the agent replied once again: No, you never checked in and when you don't show up you loose your seat! I insisted that I did check in, I even had a boarding pass (which I left with the agent in Calgary and he didn't give back to me since I wasn't getting on that plain)! The agent in another very unusual West Jet manner told me that there is no evidence of that and basically called me a lier! Very frustrated off course, I asked to see supervisor. Supervisor advised me of the same and when I told her I am not leaving unless they refund my money she offered to call the police. Police came, I explained I am asking for a refund and they call the Police, the officer suggested it maybe the manner I am speaking or behaving that has caused the concern amongst West Jet people to call on the Police to which I offered my entire conversation with them recorded on my IPhone.
    Police can't obviously do anything except to advice me to call West Jet's complaints department later on, which I may have had considered if I was treated with a bit more respect. At this point I will take West Jet to small claims court for the $320.00 ticket fee they did not let me use and additional $500.00 which is the difference of the ticket I had to buy from Air Canada.
    If anyone with similar situation feels they have a been ripped off by West Jet, let me know, I am sure we can combine our efforts and bring one action against the "once to be the greatest airline on the planet" (but not no more).
    Let me know

• Fl
    flying dog Jun 30, 2010

It is amaging how people think about flying. I am also very frequent flyer with many airline. I fly with air canada, westjet and many other international carrier. West jet do offer far more options when you need to make change or cancel. and their baggage allowance is far more accpting compare to others. I do see many fiesco at many airoirt and always the same kind of people. people with no common sence or not understanding how buisiness work. Any company that sell product or ticket, they need to put policy or condition/rules. when it comes down to airlines, they also need to comply with transport of canada, customs and airport security.problem begin with your action people. If you are regular customer who can meet the condition with the ticket you purchased, you won't have any problem. And you takeyour time to write your complain with no shame or any understanding of what you did wrong. lady with pet, if you can't follow the rule, airline will not take any more pet because of those people who won't follow the rule cause so much trouble/that is great action by people who supposely care for animal. you all only cinsider your own gain. read newpaper more!

• La
    Lamplighter Jul 22, 2010

We flew Westjet on our honeymoon to Vancouver Island the first week of July, 2010. All went reasonably well until we went to land in Victoria. The plane touched down on the runway, and immediately took off again. So what would you expect the passenger's reaction to be at that point? Something is wrong...right? We're all waiting for some kind of explanation from the Captain or the attendants... but nothing. Nothing at all. We were in the air for another 20 minutes or so, and then when we did land...there were fire-trucks scattered all over the runway...waiting.

As we left the plane I asked the pilot, "Were we OK there? I see all the firetrucks..." His response was, "Oh them...no, they weren't for us. A strong tail-wind just blew us too far down the runway."

I didn't, and don't, believe him... but even if that were true...not to inform the passengers of that in flight simply left us all to assume that whatever was wrong was so serious that either...informing the passengers would create worse panic, or the crew was so uccupied with an emergency situation that they had no time to speak to the passengers.

I sent of an email to Westjet the next day, and the reply I got was that they were too busy to reply to any specific questions, but that someone would be getting back to me soon. That was three weeks ago.

• Ke
    kentthekissfan Aug 15, 2010

Try getting out of bed earlier, you said it your self "you were late" every one else on the plane was on time.
    Ever flown a plane? It's not like driving a car.
    When is the last time you checked you engine oil? Not sure? well i thought so. You should know that procedures are in place for a reason.
    Don't be late and you will be fine, and you can laugh at the schmucks who miss there flight cause they were late.

• Ca
    CarlCarlCarl Nov 15, 2010

Here in Ottawa, 3 hours past my departure time on Westjet heading to Edmonton. I normally travel with AC, will make sure Westjet does not have an opportunity to hold me hostage again! OH, they are offering meal vouchers now! That will fix everything!!!

WESTJET service SUCKS

Angel36 Jan 29, 2011

Just had a return three leg flight with westjet. Late almost every flight, tvs broken on numerous flights, really rude attendant (to the point of being psycotic) who flew with us all the way. To add insult to injury they charged us $20 for a second piece of luggage which we had flown down with no charge. Policy changed during our vacation without us being advised or any concession being given. Given the high fees and crappy service we figure we might as well start flying threw the states at least we will have lower fees.

Maxx2166 Feb 09, 2011

On 12 January 2011, myself, my wife and approx. 160 other Canadians were scheduled to leave Montego Bay on Westjet flight 2703 at 1530, we called westjet at @ 1100 and were informed that the flight was on time, we arrived at MBJ and were told our flight was delayed an hour and we would board at 1545, 1545 came and went and no one boarded the plane, at @ 1600, we told that the incoming flight had a medical emergency that required the use of oxygen and the return flight would be delayed until the oxygen was replenished. At this point I approached the Westjet representative and identified myself as a critical care /SAR medic and informed them that just outside of MBJ on the main road was a private medical clinic that would refill the portable 02 system, a few minutes later another passenger identified herself as a nurse and passed along the same information. We were told by the Westjet staff member Michelle James that this was being taken care of and we would board shortly.

At 1700 the pilot came out mumbled a few words into the desk PA system and stated he would update us in 20 minutes, the pilot never returned. At 1730, I once again approached the westjet staff and asked for an update, I was then told we would receive more information by 1900 hrs. At this point it had become apparent that no one within westjet had a clue how to handle an emergency and I once again told Michelle James who I was and seeing as we had already been at the airport for 7 hours made the following requests,

1. That west jet provide access to the bags that were sitting on the runway so that the parents with small children could get supplies (diapers, formula etc), that people who needed medication be allowed to do the same, I also requested that water be provided for the older passengers and the younger ones. I was then told they would be handing out meal vouchers shortly and there was a water fountain (no cups) down the hall.
    2. There was 2 ill children, one asthmatic passenger and an older passenger with diabetes and hyper-tension I made this perfectly clear to the west jet staff and requested at least a first aid kit and ice packs and was told there was no ice packs in the airport and they would see if they could find a first aid kit, neither one of these items was ever produced by west jet staff.
    A few minutes later they started to hand out $ 10.00 worth of food vouchers, however none were given to children under 2 years of age, and some food service providers only valued them at 8.00 USD, to put this in perspective a bowl of soup at Margaretville was 9.95 and a burger at another provider was $ 10.00. at this point myself, my wife and other passengers gave our food vouchers to people with families and small children.

At @ 1930 I was approached by another passenger who had looked on the westjet web site which showed our flight delayed until 0100 on the 13th, I approached the counter and was informed they could make no comment and they would provide an update “later”, I asked why it was on a web site yet the people who were being effected were not being told anything.

@ 1950 we were told that a plane would be leaving Toronto at 2000 with the oxygen and arrive MBJ at midnight, with a planned departure from MBJ at 0110, at this point some of the passengers became quite verbally upset and the west supervisor left the desk not to be seen again until the wee hours of the morning, unlike the original westjet pilot who never returned at all. During this I was approached by a mother to look at her child as he was running a high fever and one of the other passengers was becoming short of breath due to the hyper tension, I again asked for access to meds and again was ignored.

@ 2045, I asked my wife to attend the front desk to get water or cups for the kids and she was told that food vouchers would be handed out shortly, again none were given to children under two and by the time they had been handed out most food providers were closed or in the process of closing.

@ 2100 I was approached by a young lady who informed me her ride from the airport would not be able to pick her up and that she had no money, my wife took her and a few other passengers who we in the same circumstance to the west jet desk to see what could be done, frankly we were in the same position as my son would be at work when we were scheduled to land and our option would be a 150 cab ride home. My wife spoke to staff who assured us that westjet staff would meet our flight and make arrangements, when she (my wife) asked them to confirm this in writing in case of issues on the receiving end she was told no they would not do that, after telling her that they would not leave the counter until some confirmation was given they then were magically able to make notes in the computer as to which passengers would require transportation assistance.

At @ 2100-2130, although I have no proof, the airport shut down and the a/c was either reduced or turned off completely.

@ 2200 a passenger received a phone call from her father saying westjet’s website now indicated a 0630 arrival in Toronto, the desk staff were asked about this and they confirmed that the plane that they told us had left at 2000 did not actually leave until 2100 and our departure time was now to be @ 0220, needless to say this caused some verbal comments to be made by quite a few passengers and the desk called for extra security and the airport manager, they arrived shortly thereafter and the manager only made matters worse by singling out one of the ill older passengers and tried to tell her she could not get on the plane as she was ill, both myself and the nurse interceded and I explained to him the situation so far and that the passengers were concerned as now they were children with no diapers, no meds, no water, no blankets, no pillows and his heavy handed approach would do nothing more than cause further upset. At @ 2245 two Jamaican police officers ( a sgt. And a corporal) arrived at the gate, I approached them along with the manager and explained the situation, both police officers agreed that it was unacceptable and one of them ordered the manager to find me at least the ice packs, he returned @ 15 minutes later with two latex gloves filled with ice, over 5 hours since I first requested it.

@ 0130, the second west jet crew arrived, I immediately approached the pilot, identified myself and told them I needed water for the passengers, I received 8 bottles of water and some plastic bottles and my wife and the nurse then spent the next 30 minutes giving out water to the younger and older passengers, not one west jet crew member offered any help or assistance.

We finally left MBJ @ 0245 on a plane that had no food except for snacks, we were told this was because it was a “rescue” flight, if this is westjet’s idea of a rescue then I would really hate to see them face a real emergency.

Things were not much better upon arriving in Toronto, disorganization, incorrect information and all 2 of the westjet staff assigned to meet our plane were simply unable to deal with the volume of complaints, we were however told by a westjet employee (Ray) that they (west jet) knew the flight would be delayed by mechanical problems since @ 1700 on the 12th. Finally at 1020, we arrived home, 22 hours since we checked in at MBJ

When my wife called west jet today to follow up she was told it was a weather delay, yet air Canada, canjet, sunwing all had multiple flights leave MBJ, so do they think we are blind or stupid

RECAP: 160 or so passengers, including ill children and seniors left for over 15 hours in an hot humid airport with little food, no water, no meds, no blankets, no pillows, no information, then a 4 hour flight with no food, intimidation by staff, quite frankly prisoners receive better treatment and last i checked inmates did not pay over 1800.00 to receive such treatment.

Questions: Why did the original pilot not return to give the briefing he promised, and why did he leave without ensuring the safety, security and comfort of the passengers he is responsible for, quite frankly his utter lack of professionalism and disregard for basic human compassion should cost him his job,

Why, knowing how long the delay would be did west jet not put people in hotels or at least ensure adequate food and supplies were provided,

Why did west jet after being given/ offered assistance by two medical professionals, one of whom designs crisis management programs for international companies (myself) totally disregard this advice and continue down a path which caused undue hardship and concern for all the passengers

Why in absence of the pilot did the next senior west representative (Michelle James) leave the desk area without ensuring supplies were on hand, information was provided and people were cared for.

• Lu
    Luky you Mar 23, 2011

I heard something like this but worst than this. Do you know why they donot let you on? Because they always overbook to make sure they make extra profit. I guess you are luky. I heard they even charge somebody late fee and wonot give them money back. That is the way to make extra money.

• Be
    Beipoo Oct 13, 2011

Today Oct 12, 2011, around 11am at the vancouver international airport. This woman named "Sadie" that work at the westjet checkin counter was a pain, who had ten inches of makeup on her face to hide her zits. We were told that as long as the combined weight was under the limit we are ok, but she made us shuffle our belongings between each suitcase and weigh it around four times again and again. For crying out loud, one bag was 42 lbs and other was 54lbs. So I took down her name to complain she then asked to see my parents boarding pass again, now I know why. She phoned check point security to triple search my parents to waste their time because she knew I was going to complain about her. What a ###, I should have took a video of her and put it on youtube.
    Like other people, I would definitely like American companies set up domestic airlines here and get rid of Westjet altogether.
    I used to like Westjet but after this incident, I hate the company and their people.

I read somewhere that Westjet claim that out of 7 million people they only have 7 complaints...yeah right! They ignore all the complaints like ours, those ###.

• Tr
    Traveller14 Oct 23, 2011

Check your facts before you complain Westjet does not over sell their flights

• Ld
    LD Cross Mar 26, 2012

WESTJET HAS NO FUEL IN SINT MAARTEN
    We took a WestJet vacation package in Sint Maarten January 12-19, 2012. There were problems with the hotel (see Sonesta Maho Beach) and also with the return WestJet flight 2653 which was to depart Princess Juliana International Airport at 4:25 PM on January 19/12. We had confirmed our return flights and printed our boarding passes at the hotel on January 18/12. No indication on their website of any problem. When we checked our luggage at the WestJet airport counter on January 19/12 their agents did not indicate there was any problem with flight 2653 which was to depart from Gate A4. At no time was there any announcement in the airport other than WestJet 2653 would board from Gate C4 because a US Air plane remained parked at Gate A4. We were bused out to our plane which was parked at the farthest point from the terminal building. As we were preparing for takeoff, cabin crew told us they were unable to refuel in Sint Maarten and would have to divert to San Juan, Puerto Rico, before returning to Toronto. This would add two hours in cramped seating on top of our ‘normal’ four hour return flight time. We would also miss our connecting flight in Toronto. Nice.

Confirming electronically in advance at the hotel is not enough. WestJet’s abysmal customer communications means we must vacation with a SmartPhone or iPad to keep up with their complications. Since they negotiated landing rights in Sint Maarten they must also have a re-fueling contract. What is it worth? Nothing! Could WestJet not have left a message on their website? Could their airport counter agents not have informed us of the refueling screw-up? Could their gate boarding staff not have told us? And no amount of joking by WestJet cabin crew overcame passenger irritation.

According to local residents on this flight, it is common knowledge in the aviation community that Sint Maarten jet fuel brought in by sea is sold first to private planes and then to commercial carriers. Why don’t WestJet agents know this and plan accordingly? Why don’t they fully fuel their planes in Toronto for a round trip? Is it because fuel is cheaper in Sint Maarten than in Toronto? We will never know because WestJet will not disclose this information and Transport Canada says this is outside their jurisdiction. Another passenger informed us that in November 2011 parts of the island were without electricity for three days because the Sint Maarten authorities diverted diesel fuel for the generators to cruise ships in port. Where is WestJet’s on-the-ground intelligence and strategic planning? No where, that’s where.

Flight 2653 was refueled at the American Airlines depot at the vacant rear of the San Juan, Puerto Rico airport as we all sat in the plane. One spark and everybody on board would be fried sardines in a can. Then, to top it all off, after we were airborne from Luis Munoz Marin Airport, WestJet cabin crew had another surprise. They informed us they were running out of potable water on board and had not been able to re-stock in Puerto Rico so could we drink something else like juice or soft drinks. How could they run out of a basic like water? A triple scotch would have been welcome at this point.

After WestJet’s diversion for fuel (but not water) their flight 2653 touched down in Toronto at 9:55 PM on January 19/12. Our connecting flight 684 to Ottawa was to depart Toronto at 10:20 PM. There was no way to get our baggage, clear customs and immigration, put our bags on the conveyor and get ourselves to the departure gate. Before disembarking, we were told a WestJet representative would be available at the gate to help ongoing passengers. At the gate when we landed stood a man in a fluorescent green and yellow vest like airport maintenance workers wear. There was nothing to identify him as a WestJet employee although he later informed me he had “WestJet” written on his back. Well, I get off planes face first and I do not circle around behind people to read their rears. WestJet needs to clearly identify their representatives on their fronts. Give them a sign. Do something.

Next, the WestJet gate escalator to the upper level of Pearson International Airport was not working. Finally, locating an elevator, walking half a kilometre to customs, immigration and baggage, we got a luggage cart plus a wheelchair for my companion who is diabetic, has chronic edema and a knee replacement and rolled off to the Sheraton for a short night in room 307. It was well past 11:00 PM but for some unknown reason WestJet staff presented us with lunch and breakfast vouchers. Sheraton staff converted them to dinner vouchers. We got up at 5:00 AM to catch the 7:00 AM WestJet flight 466 to Ottawa on January 20/12. It was the end of a flight from hell.

WestJet needs to carry enough fuel for a return flight to Canada if necessary . They need to stock up on in-flight water too, either in bulk or in bottles. In short, they need to do much better than they did on this Sint Maarten trip. WestJet needs to stop cutting corners and shifting the onus onto customers to deal with their operational errors. Naturally, according to the passenger terms and conditions of WestJet’s vacation packages, they are blameless no matter what the circumstances. They need to highlight in their brochures how often they have diverted for fuel and missed connections in the previous year. When booking with WestJet ask how many times the carrier has been unable to refuel for a return flight. Do not accept “this never happens” as an answer. It happened in Sint Maarten.

• Da
    Day babe Oct 03, 2012

This company is ###ed ... Will give me a pass to go thru security with my 12 year old son but not 11 year old daughter??? Well done west jet way to tick families off and go with a better company.. Wishing we would have read these horrible reviews before booking with west jet .. Thanks for being so convienient.. Not

• Wa
    warren mudry Jan 07, 2013

I have just flown from Cancun to Vancouver, I booked my flight for saturday the 5th of January 2013 .When I got to the airport I was told the flight was for the friday that I booked it .So the mexican rep tried for several hours to get to main office to see if they would help me on the flight saturday 5th of january 2013 but couldnt get through to the office due to high traffic .I was forced to pay another 703, USD for one flight to vancouver.They said I would have to fix the problem in vancouver.Well here I sit in vancouver still waiting over 2 hours for a call back, To pay 1406 USD for a one way trip to Vancouver is insane.I checked my itinarary in Cancun sent through e-mail and I couldnt find it nor could the rep in Cancun.No wonder your profits are good, , you rip people off.Let tell the public about the inflight TVs that you recently took off the new 737, you just received.Does the public know that westjet knew there was a problem with the system after my honeymoon flight last november made a emergency return to arlington texas due to smoke and odor in the cabin.We not only lost a full day of our honeymoon all inclusive resort in Cancun, we where held for 8 hours in containment with all those people until a new plane came from Calgary.It ruined my honeymoon and traumatied both me and my wife as we where the ones reported smelling smoke.Westjet didnt even return my e-mail for some kind of compensation.Westjet prides itself with WE CARE on their advertising to the public but it looks like all they care about is their profits.Putting peoples lives at risk still with the inflight TVS on other flights today, , In regina it appears to have been the same problem in dec of 2012 .WEST JET IS PUTTING PEOPLE LIVES AT JEPRODY AND I WILL NOT FLY ON ANY INFLIGHT TV PLANE BECAUSE IT IS CLEARLY A RISK TO THE PUBLIC.shame on you WESTJET for putting frofits first instead of peoples safety

• Wa
    warren mudry Jan 07, 2013

I am still waiting for a call back from WESTJET started at 730am this morning and they said the wait would be 33-55minutes .It now is 310pm and I still havent got a call from customer service.IS THIS CUSTOMER SERVICE THIS IS A JOKE

Reviewer16385 Feb 17, 2016

They are the worst in a way that can't be put to words walk to your destination it would be quicker the absolute worst run company you'll every have the miss fortune of using

• Al
    Allan Corbett Feb 11, 2019

I have had 5 - 6 calls per day for two weeks. I select "3" be taken off our list, "should be done in 2 - 3 days". WASN'T!

Select "0" to take advantage of this offer & they don't answer or hang up when I ask how to get my name off their list!

• Ss
    sslouise Feb 12, 2019

I put in a complaint already waiting for a response> posted in social media as well still no response. Called in they put me on hold for an hour so I hung up...
    this is the second complaint I have put in through here for same issue

sharon

• Ce
    Cesar lourenço Feb 12, 2019

Did not greet us. Extremely rude asking about our luggage. We had everything identified, she was making a fuss cause of 0.5 lbs in one bag after all our other luggage was processed.
    This is totally what we do not want see, such nasty attitude. Didn't try to help on any moment even though we had 2 infants!

chlatour Mar 02, 2019

We were booked on a Westjet flight from Barbados to Toronto on Saturday February 16. Originally scheduled to leave at 15:50, the flight departed at 02:25 on Sunday February 17. The result was that we were 15 hours late in arriving home.

• Ke
    Ken Dias Mar 24, 2019

On westjet flight ws 1175 today i paid extra for an aisle seat but got a window seat instead, need refund I am a senior and need to go to the washroom frequently but was hemmed in and so could not use the washroom

Maribiro Jun 18, 2019

Maria on the flight 1699 from LAX to YVR should probably retire if she's not willing to do her job anymore!!! I will definitely NOT fly Westjet anymore and spread it to all my family and friends. Imagine telling a passenger to do something for her because she's lazy?!! What a bossy @#$%^!!!

Jaydip0007 Aug 17, 2019

I take flight ticket from west jet for Toronto to Indianapolis but there were Flight delay so I hanging in New York Air port due to missing my Connecting Flight.
    No body from your representatives gives me advice to what to I do next.
    I stay all night out side of New York Airport due to your Fault

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices