Walmartwalmart bait and switch pricing

B

Classic bait and switch pricing. Online, Walmart offers (in this particular instance) a replacement Optical Drive Model#: 1270VI for home computers at $38.54 they also offer you the ability to check a local store to see if they have them in stock. Needing an optical burner drive to complete a project I checked to see if my local Walmart store had one in stock. Yes they did. Needing this drive I drove down to the Walmart store in Matteson, IL. Where to my shock I found the exact same drive offered online. Only this exact same unit was shelf priced at $49.95. Needing the device and having spent the time and money to drive to the store I was compelled to purchase it there. A huge 25% price increase over the online price. The item is offered on the web with no mention of additional costs, just the friendly link to show that it is available at 4 local stores... Offering an item at a price is advertising, when you get to the location and they will not honor the advertising is FALSE ADVERTISING. This practice doesn't really fall into the bait and switch catagory because they have the nerve to offer the EXACT SAME item. They will not honor their own deceptive advertising. They WILL offer to order you one of the units. (Exactly the same as the one on the shelf...) But it will take 7 to 10 days to be shipped in to the store. If I had wanted to order one online and get it in 2 days I would have picked a proper internet retailer. Other retailers that follow this same bait and switch pricing are: Best Buy. Retailers that honor web advertising are: Tiger Direct, CompUSA

walmart bait and switch pricing
walmart bait and switch pricing

• Ju
    Jullre Apr 25, 2021

I went to Walmart to buy an advertised micro SD card for 5 bucks. The ad clearly stated it was the price for in store purchase only. I went to the store and asked the sales person. We go to the case and I see the SD card in the case. Its the exact one advertised yet the sales person says they don't have any. I asked isn't that it right there? He tells me oh no, that's last years model. Are you serious? Last years model micro SD? Then he has the nerve to tell me that they no longer sell the SD card that they are advertising. I must if looked like I had stupid written on my forehead that day. I asked to speak to a manager and they told me I was welcome to purchase it at a much higher price and that the price was for online only. I showed her where it clearly said in store only but Walmart refused to sell me the micro SD that was advertised. I have found numerous items advertised on sale but they just never seem to really be in the store...funny how that happens.

• Ro
    Robilin Feb 18, 2015

All too often, corporate America puts provisions in their advertising that is designed to protect themselves from legitimate claims of bait and switch. This is the nature of my most recent experience with Walmart. I sent this to their corporate...On Page 11 of your weekly flyer, you advertise Snow Crab Clusters for 10.98 for a 24 oz package. This equates to 7.32 a pound. I have visited stores in Belleville, IL, Sparta, IL, Chester, IL, and Perryville, MO, in one case, (Chester), there is no such item, but this is to be expected as they are not a Super Center. The other three do not carry this item, but do carry another brand selling at 19.98 for a 32 oz package meaning 9.99 a pound. I am certain that you do not intentionally "Bait and Switch", but this was evident in this case. Please pay attention to my future Facebook and RipOff pages, as I do not intend to let this go quietly. As I said, I visited 4 of the local stores, I am Quite angry at the obvious feel on the part of Walmart to the consumer, and that of the associates that just stare at me with a confused look when I tell them that I do not intend to pay over 2 dollars more for the product advertised. Shame on you...Well, Yes, they do have the right to not support all that is listed in the ads, but in this case, the ad did not depict any brand name, I could sell you or them a Motorcycle for ten dollars, but state on the ad that the motorcycle depicted may not be the exact motorcycle shown on the ad. Instead, I try to get you to buy that lovely looking motorcycle for ten dollars with you realizing that it is just a toy model. Well, I can sell you that same exact motorcycle for 20, 000 dollars, and it is a full size rideable model. Will you, then consider this to be bait and switch? Probably so. I have to say that the folks that argue the point in favor of Walmart in these cases, are likely either their own corporate or some bogus company that is concerned with their own version of bait and switch coming to light.

• Ri
    rickbay Dec 21, 2014

Went in on Thanksgiving for their 1 hour guarantee for the 50" led television. They had the Emerson which from the online reviews looked to be a decent television, especially at a price of only $218.00. The normal price for this tv was around $500.00 from what it looked like online. Definitely a good deal. After waiting in line for 1 hour and probably about 15 minutes away from getting my tv, a Walmart associate asked us in line if we did not want to wait any longer that we could still get the tv guaranteed to be available for pickup before Christmas. We just take the voucher, pay for the tv before we leave the store and then go home to register online so they can email us when our tv was ready for pickup. I hadn't eaten yet and I was hungry so I took the voucher, paid for it and went home. I finally got the email saying it was ready for pickup. I went in this past Friday to get it only to find that they now had a different and much cheaper brand (Element) tv. A tv with a normal price at Walmart of only $288.00 which I checked online with my phone. Needless to say I was extremely pissed off because I never would have waited in line for such a cheap piece of crap tv with very poor reviews online. What a scam. I have sent Walmart corporate a message through their website giving them a chance to make good on the tv that I waited in line for and paid for. If they do not I will be filing formal complaints of bait and switch tactics used to get people to wait in line and hand over their money. They should be fined.

• Wo
    woodypilot Nov 30, 2013

Classic bait and switch at Walmart this Thursday night. Went in to buy a few things with their 1 hour guarantee and purchased their 32" led TV and was given a card that said it would be here by Christmas. Not happy with that but then I should not have walked from the other side of the store to find the TV sales in the paint department, yes the paint department. Paid for the TV and was told to call and register my card with Walmart. Went home and spent nearly two hours trying to register but was on hold and finally I thought I would do it on Friday morning. Friday morning early I go online and get through just fine but then I am told they are out of the type of televison that I was suppose to get and I would have to take their Emerson replacement. I did not want an Emerson television and was shocked that they would try and peddle these off on people when I had seen the President of Walmart saying on television on Wednesday that they had ordered plenty of televisions to take care of all their one hour guarantees, obviously he doesn't know what his company is doing because early Friday morning they were out of the Funasi televisions giving us Emersons, no thanks!

• Ji
    JimmyJoe234987 Apr 20, 2011

I bought blueberries at Walmart recently and i got into their bait-and-switch rip-off "deal" where the price on the shelf was displayed $2.48 but the cash register charged me $1.30 more, which was $3.78! Now that's a rip-off! I noticed that and went and got my money back, but the returns department held me for a long time and she acted if the computer is down then she went to check the price and did not come back for 6 minutes! She probably went to a restroom! And IRS and the Revenue Department probably secretly supports such fraud, because they will get more sales taxes that way! And you will be out of your money faster if you are foolish enough not to check everything at the cash register or soon after!

• Mi
    MisterMike72113 Apr 05, 2011

While I completely agree that this was NOT a case of bait and switch (in my opinion), I will say when this has happened to me personally in the past, and I nicely asked the store manager about it, I have ALWAYS received a price override at the register and they ended up matching their online price for me. I was very pleased. Now, whether this varies from store to store is another thing altogether; I am not sure about that. But I can't help but feel that maybe if it had been handled with the store manager you would have gotten a price override like I have on many occassions when the web price was lower... Just a thought...

• Bu
    buck0 Oct 30, 2010

Whatever... I don't plan to keep on debating this with walmart employees.

• Bu
    buck0 Oct 29, 2010

This is a case of a misinformed, confused consumer.

Hahahahah! Hardly. Bait and switch is when a company advertises an item at a price to get you into the store, and once you arrive you are coerced to purchase an item at a higher price. It's ignorant to think that the advertising media makes any difference. Whether it be a print ad, a passout, radio or tv ad or an ad on a website. Period. A tiny disclaimer buried on another page is not sufficient to warn consumers that any item will not be at this price. They even bother to DIRECT you to the store where you can pick up THIS item today without mentioning that they have switched the price! It is obviously deceptive. Legislation is in the works that will prevent this from happening in the future. Consumers should be fully aware of companies that do pull the bait and switch pricing schemes.

• Li
    lilvixen69 Oct 25, 2010

Wal-Mart clearly states on their website: "The merchandise and prices available on our Web site do not reflect the merchandise and prices available in our stores." Therefore, the online prices reflect items bought online ONLY. Items bought in store are subjected to a higher price.