Vonage Home Serviceterrible customer service

D

I got a phone from Vontage, I told the lady up front that I had satellite and she said that was ok. When i got the phone after messing with it for a few hours I called them and they told me if I had satellite that I wasn't able to use the phone. I asked why the lady didn't tell me up front the man's reply was I am not why she did that. Well, she didn't and they told me to hold on to the phone in the event i was moving. Well, I never moved and when i called them back to cancel after them taking 9.00 out of my account for several months. Well, when I asked for a supervisor they hung up on me. I have been on hold a total of 2 hours alone this morning. I held for 45 minutes before i even got to talk to anyone and then after 20 minutes they hung up on me. Then I started all over...

• Cr
    Craig Bullim Aug 04, 2016

SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too!

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

For best results use a router that works with DD-WRT.com firmware!

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Telemarketer Block stops telemarketers even before your phone rings.
    * Anonymous Call Block stops all unidentified calls. (I LOVE this feature!)
    * Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
    * Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
    * CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

--quote-end--

voicepulse can also email voicemail.

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

save even more money!!

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org

• Valerie Aug 04, 2016

Vonage
    www.vonage.com

Vonage stole my money! I have just been charged $220 for the cancellation of two lines. I intend to dispute both charges with my credit card companies, but these guys are such crooks, I doubt if I get the refund. I had been a Sunrocket customer for several months and received an offer from Vonage via overnight letter to "quickly" transfer my number and continue uninterrupted phone service. I signed up for the offer, filled out number transfer requests and 911 dialing addresses within an hour of receiving the letter. I received the "free next day" delivery of equipment three days later and installed it (I forwarded the calls via the Sunrocket website to the Vonage virtual numbers). I didn't hear anything from your company for three weeks, but continued to get notices from Sunrocket about disconnection. On the 22nd day after signing up with Vonage my Sunrocket service was disconnected and calls to my telephone numbers were met with disconnection recordings.

I called Vonage to find out what had happened and was told that there was a problem with the number transfer requests and many were lost (trouble ticket #[protected] & [protected]). The agent said that the problem would be resolved within 24 hours. I left for on vacation three days later. When I returned from vacation I found out that I would have to start the number transfer requests all over again. My wife said that enough was enough and insisted on switching back to AT&T. Because this process took 34 days, when I called to cancel I was charged $50 per line for equipment that they wouldn't take back, $19.99 per line shipping and $39 per line disconnection fee. I have never hated a company this much and will tell this story to everyone I can.

Dennis
    Martinez, CA

• Ki
    kimnt Jul 14, 2016

I signed up for Vonage to have a home phone number and it never worked right, it interfered with my internet service from the day I got it.I worked with them 2-4 times on my cell phone usage to correct this problem and all I got was less use on my phone, but it did make my minutes go over by a few 100 minutes so I had to pay that on top of the Vonage phone bill.Each time I called they would give me an additional free months. but I got to the point where I stopped talking to them all together and put a stop to my chrge card. I want $1, 000.00 for allTHE SPAM AND BULL THAT THEY CLAIM THEY ARE THE BEST PHONE SERVICE..

• Ju
    Justin Jun 09, 2016

The first time I called Vonage to cancel my service, I was told that the 'system was down' and that my account couldn't be accessed. This seemed strange to me because the customer service representative had asked me for my account information and my verification code before telling me that the system was down. After I gave her that information and her system confirmed it to be correct, I told her that I wanted to cancel the account. At that point she told me that the system was down and to call back later.

The second time that I called Vonage to cancel my service, I was told that an account manager was not available to cancel my service and that I would have to call back Monday.

The third time that I called Vonage to to cancel my service, I was told by the first representative that the 'system was upgrading.' This seemed even stranger because just like the first time, the representative had asked me for my account information and my verification code before telling me that the system was down. After that information was confirmed by the system, I was told that the system was down while being upgraded. Wow.

I asked for a supervisor. Same story. I asked for somebody higher up. When I told that person that I wasn't going to call back but contest the credit card charge because I had attempted three times to cancel the service, he told me that the system was back up. Unbelievable.

After reading the posts about Vonage and after my experience, I am convinced that they should be investigated.

• Vo
    Vonage Return Policy Mar 09, 2012

Hello Everyone

I have received my Vonage in the mail today. I plugged it in. It makes my computer run slow. Today, I am attempting to get a refund and have my number returned to Optima Online. I am planning to video tape the return of the Vanage box in the event they say It was damaged or all the pieces where not put in the box. I will keep you posted as to what happens next. I was told by Optima that their should be no problem with giving back my phone number to Optima since it just happened. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

Kindest Regards, Charles Pisano

• Ni
    nimeshh Sep 29, 2011

Totally agree with u son . TO ALL Other people out there that are blind by VONAGE. PLZ DO NOT SWITCH OVER TO VONAGE

• Dm
    dmann Aug 31, 2011

There representative lied to me regarding there service. They claim to be paperless so that they can have access to your banking account. My phone bill was suppose to be 24.99 a month but with the taxes it was 10.00 to 14.00 more a month. Why would taxes change each month. When I changed service they would not release my phone number and charged me after telling me that I could cancel without any plenty. 79.00 for there equipment 39.99 cancellation fee and 35.00 for the next month phone service. I would not recommend this company to my worst ememy.

zJustMe Jun 15, 2011

Vonage is a scam! I was a customer since 2004 and recently made the decision to cancel based on the way they have decided to redefine "unlimited". If you use more than 3000 minutes a month (basically a little more than 1.5 hours a day) you are classifed as a business and will have to take a business line and pay twice as much. If you have a teenager you know this is easy to burn through ... besides it's supposed to be UNLIMITED.

I have reported them to the FCC, NJ Atty Generals Office and BBB ... let's see what happens.

If you are thinking of switching to Vonage BEWARE. Lastly, cancelling is a hastle as they try to keep billing and once you port a number to them - good luck getting it back ... it's like pulling teeth!

• El
    ELENA TRITEAN Feb 17, 2011

I CANT LOG IN !!! I DONT GET IT WHY??? PLESE LET ME KNOW WAHT IS THE PROBLEM ...THANK YOU ELENA [protected]

• Ad
    Adam Jan 13, 2011

Don't get sucked into using Vonage. I have had Vonage for about 2 years now and I'm disgusted. My calls rarely go through; I constantly get busy signals for the numbers I'm trying to call. Then if I call the same number on my cell phone, the call miraculously goes through. I even tried called the Vonage customer service number (very hard to find unless you Google it) and that call wouldn't go through.

I have tried to post a message on their web site to customer service but this is a very convoluted process and I was eventually kicked out of the message without it going through.

I'm switching to Comcast soon if I can keep the same phone number.

Buyer beware; don't fall for Vonage.

• Np
    N pal Gulati Dec 30, 2010

Somebody should take these vonage Cheats to Court. They try to rip off customers. I agree with the complaint as i also met the same fate. i ordered vonnage on Nov 28, 2010 and cancelled on Dec 08, 2010. Again gort a bill for cancellation charges of $97 and initial charges of $44. A total of $141. On web site i checked that no cancellation was chargable if there is no contract of service. Why this shameless charges,
    Shame Shame to such a Vonnage phone. This is auseless phone.

from
    N pal Gulati

• St
    SteveC3 Dec 17, 2010

Very very very disappointed with the Customer Service and Technical Service teams at Vonage. I've only been a customer for 3 weeks and they've done nothing to help me transfer my old number over to Vonage. However, if you check my Transfer Status, it says, "Please don't contact your old phone company as it will only delay the process." Meaning, Vonage is suppose to handle it - correct? Wrong. I've spent 10 hours of phone time calling them and trying to get someone that could actually help resolve the situation. Resolution: They said I could not port the number because they didn't know how. Is this America?

• Na
    natasha32 Oct 08, 2010

I signed up with Vonage on Oct 19, 2008.
    Today is Oct 8, 2010. My contract expires on Oct 19. My account is paid in full. I want to disconnect the service because I hardly ever use my landline anymore. Yet, I cannot disconnect the service before Oct 19, 2010 without a $40 early termination fee.
    At the same time, if I wait until Oct 19 to disconnect in order to avoid the fee, I will be charged for the next month and I will still end up some $25 out. I was told that if I want to get a refund for the next month, I have to call on the 19. I cannot call on the 18 ($40) and I cannot call on the 20th ... This is racket at its' finest. It is an ultimate catch22. I have never heard of such a horrible inflexibility towards PAYING customers!
    This is simply outrageous.
    My losses: time, $25-$40, more time

• Ki
    Kimony Sep 30, 2010

I spent half the time with Vonage on my celphone talking to their technicians about ways to reconnect my phone, or keep my phone from dropping words from my callers.

Then, when I changed credit cards and they were unable to charge me, they disconnected the phone. I called and got everything straightened out and got the back bills paid for, and then they had to nerve to bill me to reconnect the phone. Something I spent half the time on my celphone getting them to do.

I think they should pay my celphone charges.

What a rip off for lousy phone service.

• Vi
    Virgil Aug 29, 2010

NO VONTAGE! They are a total scam and unethical company. They offered a 30 day free trial and took all my information and shipped their device. Upon receiving the device, they never informed me I needed to have my Internet modem by my fax and phone line. I called and canceled my account and they did. BUT, they want you to pay for the shipping and handling and if the device is not received within 14 days they will charge your account $85 dollars. This is what is wrong with America, people taking money with S**** service and unethical business practices. How can we as consumers allow companies like this to stay in business? We as consumers have control of supply and demand and we as a people have a voice! This company is not even a member of the BBB, why is this? I believe e if they were they would be out of business.

• De
    DeepakG Aug 27, 2010

Hi,

I subscribed to VONAGE residential plan which had free and unlimited dialing to 60 countries. I was paying fix monthly bill but now I am charged with 111 USD. Which is huge and they are saying I dialed numbers in the country where it is charged even though that country was listed in free countries.

Why I am allowed to make such call if you'll charge me extra? Why I am paying huge monthly bill?
    They say it was "*" on the country, they have star on almost every country in the list.

VONAGE IS A FRAUD. DON"T GO FOR IT. YOU MAY FIND IT GOOD UNTIL YOU ARE RIPPED OFF !!

• Ro
    robert antholz Jul 30, 2010

i was going to place a order with them but after all these complaints for get it--what a bunch of idiots---i bet they are obama people--- der von ruskie

• Ju
    juanita lewis Apr 01, 2010

called vontage in july, 2009. after waiting a couple of days.Icalled vontage because i wasn't assign a phone number I told them to cancell service. On february 2010, I notice that money was taking off my credit card.It was vontage, so I called them wanting them to explain why they took my money.they claim that i still had service with them.Itold them that i had cancell there service.they say i didn't. they have taken $131.96 out of my account. I want my money back.

JohnnyC14 Mar 13, 2010

And how is this vonage's fault?????????

Anakerr Feb 28, 2010

I am a second time customer of Vonage . I used their service for my first business and transferred the phone when I sold it. I was so happy with the service that I got several friends to switch to Vonage and I got another phone for my real estate business. I realized I was not using the line and tried to cancel. The girl told me that I had to wait a year or pay over $100 in cancellation fees. So... I waited a year, then I was told I needed to wait two years or I would be charged $39.00. Also, you cannot cancel online which is just a way to try and get you not to cancel. It is a waste of my valuable time. I was on the line for 24 minutes and while the person's English was excellent, there were times that I couldn't understand her which added to my frustration. Jobs need to be here in America! The superviser came on the line and gave me the run around. Both told me I had to write a letter of dispute. I am very, very unhappy with Vonage and when I open another business, I will not use them and I will never recommend them to another friend. You have lost far more money than the $39.99 that you gained! I will also be calling the Better Business Bureau of New Jersey to complain. Your service is excellent. I never had a problem with a connection and I would probably have come back but never again! You wasted my time and in today's world that's not a good thing.

• Sp
    Sprut Feb 17, 2010

I attempted to cancel my 1 year paid in advance phone service with Vonage. After being told that there was a $39.99 cancellation fee, I was also advised that they would not refund a penny of the over $200 refund I was entitled to.

While I can almost understand this policy to weed out the people who try Vonage for a month or so & then leave, it seems counterproductive to penalize those of us who have had enough faith in them to let them have out money in advance. Yes there's a discount for prepaying but there's also a hidden risk.

Tell you friends...Vonage will keep it all, even if they don't deserve to.!!

• Rt
    rtt22 Feb 14, 2010

Thanks for the warning, the $70 fee on top of the disconnect fee is truly painful.

• Gu
    Guero Feb 12, 2010

Buyer Beware!! I've just canceled my Vonage service which I haven't used. I paid $50 for the activation fee that's after the "first month free" advertised back in Dec 2008. And I have been paying the $28.77 for 2 months after that. Now that I want to disconnect the line. They're charging me $110. Why? Cause the representative says she has to charge the $39.99 disconnect fee AND the "applicable recovery fee on section 8.8 from the TOS" which equals to the $70 rebate they gave me on the modem. I offered to return the modem, but they don't want it back. I've read many many complaints about Vonage (only after signing up to their service, stupid me!) and realized I was in for a painful scam. I was ready for the $39.99 mentioned everywhere but not the $70 for "recovery fee" which the representative admits could be anything, depending on what they give as promo to signing up the service. So buyer beware! The cheaper you think you're getting from Vonage, you'll pay it ALL back when you want to part ways with them!

• Pi
    Pissedoffcustomer! Jan 30, 2010

Times are tough for us regulars today and like the rest of us I figured that if I keep good quality services and cut my bundle plan with my prior company I could save some money on my monthly bills. So I call VONAGE... what a mistake that was. I spoke to a representative who told me that I could receive services with them for 24.95 per month... not bad huh and they told me that I could get a full refund of my money if I was unhappy with the services within a 30 day period FULL REFUND they told me so I thought wow I cant lose. I agreed to services after agreement they said they needed to charge me for 2 months in advance and I wouldnt have to pay for the next to months. Ok I said now the charged me over $50.00 then they came up with some bogus activation fee that I needed to pay OK $20.00 more dollars they charge me now were at $70.00 then lets not forget the taxes and additional state and bogus phone fees that they charged over $80.00 F***ing bucks for this Bullsh*t service WOW. So once this is all done it takes over a week to receive your rush next day delivery so you better hope you didnt already disconnect your services with your prior provider. Ok now I received this sh**ty piece of crap only to find out that you need a modem to use this Sh*T!!! WHAT THE F**K. Great now I have to call these ### back oh yeah I forgot on what phone. I call from my cell phone during buisness hours yes daytime cell phone minutes while I'm bounced around on the line for at least 20minutes I said that I would like to disccontinue their services. Now they say that they will offer me services for half price for one year $12.00. Okay now all I need is to find a provider for the modem. I do hook it up service is crappy everyone I talked to sounded like they were in a car driving with there windows down and they told me I sound like I'm in the bathroom taking a crap (ECHO)... The only crap here is this bull crap VONAGE. I called 10 days after opening services with them expecting my full refund instead the charged my card an additional 39.99. SONS OF B**CHES I couldnt beleive it then when I saw these charges I called back they called these deactivation cahrges they never told me about deactivation charges when I signed up nor did I give them authorization to take this out of my account they told me that they would refund all the money that they took from my account after they receive thier receiver back I expressed it back to them. That was over 4 months ago and over $120.00 later and still no refund I had to hurry and change my bank card numbers in case the tried to add any other make beleive fraudulant charges. So SAY HELL NO TO TOILET TELEPHONE SERVICE SAY HELL NO TO VONAGE!!!

• Da
    David Ba Jan 01, 2010

I used Vontage for a year and had no problems. The sound quality is very good. I'm now using Uverse which is VoIP, and is also good. Vontage is less expensive, I plan to go back to Vontage.

If you use any VoIP provider, you will need a good internet provider. You will not be able to use the phones wired (twisted pair cable) in the walls.

• Le
    Leee77 Dec 18, 2009

After being a satisfied customer for over 2 years I decided to cancel as I no longer was using the service. The first time I called to cancel, after spending over 30 minutes repeating my desire to cancel and dealing with scripted "required" Q&A sessions, I though I was done. No. Vonage conveniently forgot to record the cancellation and I had to do it all over again a month later after I was billed again. The second time I got a transaction number and names. Next time I need VOIP service it definitely won't be with Vonage.

• Re
    Relino Dec 14, 2009

We got Vonage to try out Voip. What we got instead was a nightmare that haunted us for over a year. Vonage service didn't even work for us and when we tried to cancel their service we had to wait over FORTY minutes THREE separate times to finally get a hold of someone who didn't direct us to their sales department. They wanted a HUGE cancellation fee for something we could never use in the first place. They wouldn't stop billing us for over a year even though we were NEVER ABLE TO USE THEIR SERVICE. AVOID VONAGE!

• Me
    ME45 Dec 07, 2009

This VONAGE COMPANY tried to get service for me as of oct 09 and it is now dec 7 and I still have no service as of yet but they have charged my account $144 for NOTHING I have NO SERVICE this company is unbelievable...THIS IS WRONG PLease if you have common since DONT CONNECT TO THIS COMPANY IT IS A RIP OFF IT TAKES YOUR MONEY and the customer service SUCKS this is terrible ...I will report this company to the president ASAP they are comming down WATCH AND SEE...

• Al
    Allmex Dec 03, 2009

Do not Buy Vonage . I applied for their free 1 month trial offer. The equipment never arrived. I then saw a chrge the next month for the rquipment and service. Though i have not received the equipment or made a single call through them. Afetr calling everyday for 2 weeks and being put on hold for almsot an hour each time, i finally managed to get a very rude representative to cancel the service. But she refused to refund the amount that was charged to me saying that i had exceeded the 1 month trial period. Speechless! Dont make the same mistake. They'll try to wring money out of you either way and they definitely will not pick up their phones!

• Un
    Unhappy35 Nov 20, 2009

I had to switch away from Vonage because of the bad service that was provided. THe service interrupted with my computer serivce, the phone line was always breaking up, couldn't hear anyone. I had no service for an entire week before Time Warner came to switch me. THe list goes on and on. But, I was told that being that I disconnected before the contract was ended... But, what about not being happy with the service and all the problems? If they didn't happen I wouldnt have changed. I wouldn't recommend this company at all, if that is the type of service they give and how they reply. I work in retail, so I know about customer service, and has been in retail for 12 years.

• El
    ELoss Nov 07, 2009

I am a systems integrator. I work with data, phone, TV and security systems everyday. I set up systems for colleges and hotels. I tried Vonage for our new office phone system. I could not get it to ring through consistently. Calls were not completed, some were dropped. For one week I had no phones at all. Customers would write e-mail or call my cell phone to ask if we were still in business. They would get messages saying that my number was disconnected or that it was not valid.
    I spent over 11 hours on-line or on hold trying to get help, most of it on hold. When I called to cancel service I told them that I needed to keep the number and it would take a few days for the phone company to connect me again. They cut me off right then. I had no phone service. Qwest could not reconnect me with that number unless it was active. I had to spend 3 hours trying to get Vonage to activate the number again. Then they gave me a temporary number for 3 days, which no one knew to call, before I got my old number and same crappy service back. When I was finally connected to a land line again they gave me a $12.50 credit for my troubles.
    Vonage should be put out of business. They ruined mine for almost a month. They have a cruddy product, lousy service and tech support and terrible business practices.
    If you have to choose between two cans and a string and Vonage, take the cans and string. You'll be happier with the service.

• Xv
    X Votage user Oct 27, 2009

Vontage service is a rip off.Calls constantly being droped.Can not cancel service without a hefty fee.

• Ho
    Hopeful customer Oct 26, 2009

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I've had it with Verizon but after hearing the stories here I now know that Vontage is not an alternative. It seems as if there really is no customer service anymore. Lesson (Automatic deductions from bank accounts are dangerous, with credit card accounts you can at least freeze payments until issues are settled) but that's not great either. Thanks all!

• Pr
    Priceless Oct 12, 2009

I was starting a small business and was contacted by vonage, the deal sounded good, 39.99 A month for all local and long distance calls, so i went with them, they also guaranteed 30 day money back, it took 2 weeks to recieve the router, after that when i tried the number it belonged to a plumming company, i called vonage they gave me another number this took 5 days to recieve. Within 2 weeks of using their service i cancelled due to poor quality, they hung the phone up on me, i called back to ask if my service had been deactivated, and was told yes and without my permission had charged my credit card 121.18 For deactivation after 30 days, in fact i was only able to use their services for14 days due to the problems on their end. I feel i was taken advantage of and if they do that to me, i am sure they are doing it to others, what a way to make alot of money, they are phone scammers, and i am one angry woman.

• Ru
    Rupert Oct 12, 2009

The list of problems we had with Vonage goes on and on. For example and all these problems were intermittent.
    1) No voice mail capability
    2) No caller I.D.
    3) Phone doesn't ring even though somebody is calling.
    4) Somebody calls our home and gets directly put into voicemail without ever hearing phone ringing.
    5) Phone would wring a half ring with nobody calling.
    6) Called to cancel service but was told I wasn't a customer long enough and would be billed the minimum amount like 3 months service.

• Da
    Daughn Oct 07, 2009

I signed up almost 1 year ago. I NEVER got to use it because Verizon pulled my phone line and my internet connection. So, I honored my agreement with Vontage (never used it) I tried to concel it 9 days early (1 yr contract) and they said if i did they would charge a early termination charge. I thought that vontage was a good thing and that verizon was the demon company, which i still do. but at least i get service. I now think that Vontage isnt any better.

• Ro
    RobbinJones Jul 09, 2009

I had the same issue with vonage. When we called to disconnect they continued billing me for the next 6 months. When I called back they said well your two years is not up and to cancel we will also charge you 39.99 fee. I told them no way where they getting more money out of me they charged me for 4 months they said i did not pay, which I provided bank statements proving otherwise. Never once did i recieve any of my money back only for them to try charging me again this past month. I went to my bank and signed papers refusing to allow them to take anymore money out of my account. This is a free service by your bank or at least should be. I haven't had service since this past February and low and behold I received and email the other day stating they could not charge my card for fees dues to them for this month. Wow go figure that one, they are stupid and take peoples money. One of the biggest thieving companies I know of. Talk to your banks and go sign papers refusing them to take any more money from your accounts, either your checking or debit card. This is the only way to stop them.

• Be
    BeverlyB Jul 02, 2009

Do not ever sign with this company. They tell you that you can cancel within 30 days of signing up and even though you never use the service and never connect to it, they still refuse to cancel within the 30 days and document on their technician's record that you called to complain about the service or connection when you really called to cancel the service. Then they steal money out of your account for what they deem cancellation charges, even though it is still in the 30-day window. These are thieves and this company should be put out of business..I hope no one signs with them. False advertising and deceptive practices. The banks and credit card companies help them steal...