Virgin Active South Africa Logo

Virgin Active South Africa

Having problems with Virgin Active South Africa?

Virgin Active South Africa reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 9, 2006. The latest review Pathetic customer service was posted on Sep 24, 2021. The latest complaint breach of confidentiality regarding my contact details was resolved on Sep 19, 2018. Virgin Active South Africa has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 450 reviews. Virgin Active South Africa has resolved 22 complaints.

Virgin Active South Africa Customer Service Contacts

+27 860 200 911 (Head Office)
+27 216 843 000 (International)
3rd Floor, Mont Clare Place, CNR Main & Camp Ground Road, Claremont
Thu7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Fri7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Virgin Active South Africa Customer Service. Initial Virgin Active South Africa complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Virgin Active South Africa above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Virgin Active South Africa. Discuss the issues you have had with Virgin Active South Africa and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Virgin Active South Africa Complaints & Reviews, Page 21

Virgin Active South Africagym membership that has been incorrectly captured for the past 18 days

I cannot believe the incompetent people working at Virgin Active La Lucia. I signed up to be a member at the Virgin Active Gateway. The sales consultant and her administrator - who has been off sick since I joined - has captured the incorrect club name and apparently there is no one else (in the entire Virgin Active enterprise) that can help me. Apparently it is this ONE administrator that holds the key to all Virgin Active Member problem and she has a problem herself. The sales consultant has been ignoring my messages (even though I can see that she has read the). And I was told that her manager would give me a call at midday to talk to... midday has since long gone... and I'm still waiting. Absolutely pathetic service - if I don't get feedback by the end of business today - cancel my contact

Virgin Active Randburg — unethical behaviour

Few weeks ago I was so exited about joining virgin active randburg malibongwe but not any more, my first day...

Virgin Activecashback voucher

I joined virgin active in August 2015 as a vitality member and was given a cash back voucher by the sales agent which states that at the end of September I will get a cash back. I am now told by the sales manager at vodaworld virgin active that I was misled when I went to collect the cash voucher and I am told that there is nothing they can do. How is it possible that your employee lies to the customer and you don't even have a way of reimbursing them. I am so disgusted at this behaviour and lies that sales agent make claims that are falls to get the customers to register and the company does not even feel any remorse about the action. This is wrong.

Virgin Activenon update of membership account

Good morning

Please update my membership, I normally pay on the 20th of every month but I always get to the gym and be told that I am owing, please assist and update this as I have spoken to the management at my club to have it sorted.

Please also note that I have introduced a new member on the 03/7/15 by the name of Dennis Baloyi during the bring a buddy promo from 1st -12th July. And my membership was supposed to be free for the month of August and I need that redeemed as I am not currently owing. I am current very unhappy with the service at virgin active at the moment. If it is not possible to update my account and save me from the embarrassment of being stopped on entrance due to this same problem, kindly cancel my account and inform me once you have managed to do so.

Thanking you in advance.

Judith Ntombenkosi Ndzube

Virgin Active South Africaunauthorised billing

This is an e-mail I have forwarded to the person I have been liasing with at the gym: I started a membership at Kings Park, then my family upgraded to Moses Mabhida membership under Liberty Life, which cancelled my standard membership at Kings Park.

I continued going to the gym between May and July, as I was supposed to be a member. Everytime I came to the gym I encountered problems and continued to be told there was a problem with my membership. I took it up on myself to establish contact with you to explain the problem i was having when entering the gym. At no point did you mention that my membership was cancelled. The problem persisted until the day I couldn't leave my daughter at the ClubV area. I came to the classic gym and you told me I needed to go back to Kings Park to resolve the issue. At Kings Park I spoke to a guy called Andile. I was told my membership was terminated, months after adjusting my membership. I was told I would have to sign up again if I wanted to continue coming to Virgin Active. My daughter was refused access into the kids area and I had to put her ClubV membership under her dad. Upset about how much time and energy this situation had taken, along with the embarrassment of having to explain the same issue over and over again when ever I was coming to the gym, I decided the membership was not worth trying to restart after Virgin Active cancelled my contract.

From this point I never trained at the facility again, because Virgin Active breached our contract and cancelled my membership without my consent.

Unauthorised, Virgin Active started debiting my account two months after they stopped debiting for the membership. Please check your records for amounts I've paid before we even debate this issue. I then called you again to inquire as to what the status of my account. You said you would check and come back to me. This carried on a number of times with both you and your manager promising to get back to me but you never did. The issue was never resolved and payments have been coming off my account for a number of months. I don't even have a membership card for Virgin Active.

I have come in to inquire about the situation with my husband. The last I saw you, you assured me the problem would be sorted, and specifically said I would be reimbursed or be given membership for the time I paid and wasn't able to access the facility. Till today you have not resolved the issue and are now saying your going to reimburse me for two months that you didn't debit my account, during the cancellation period.

My husband and I have come into the gym many times looking for you since, the last time I was there I even left a note with reception asking you to call me. Are you now going to tell me I was using your facilities because I was coming in to find you and settle this matter?

• Az
            Azaad Yakoob Sep 28, 2015

how could your do this to me ... i was owing and amount of R850, i made arrangements to pay half and the other half in terms the call center told me that is ok but today when i phone they say my account is closed, how could you lie to people like this, this is not fair i rather join another gym and to the balance owing your can go fly a kite ..

if you value me as a member please contact me .. my name is Azaad Yakoob id no: [protected]

Virgin Activepoor service since joining

Wow, I actually have nothing good to say about this club. From the beginning i have had endless problems. This is now my last resort as i have depleted all other!
          I joined Virgin Active in March 2015. Only to find out that my contract of 8 years back was never cancelled. After i have cancelled the contract and paid my 1 month extra as requested. Long story short, i had to pay. End of April I had an issue with my salary not being in my account on debit order date, so i took my card to the branch, and swiped it. I was told that i short-paid by R60. Which i said that i will pay as soon as i have the cash. Now, a month later, I am refused entry to the gym, as "my payment was defaulted". This is not my problem! I paid that account @ The branch.
          I have a competition i am preparing for. Now what must i do? Change gyms? I dont want to as Virgin Active is right around the corner from my house! But so is a private gym. Please Please Please tell me what to do as i am now fed-up with this crap!

Virgin Active Head Office Call Centreunprofessional/uneducated staff

Good day. I wanted to cancel my contract with virgin active montana and they informed me that the cancelation fee would be r1092 on 23/04/2015. I went to pay on 25/04/2015 only for them to tell me they dont take cards only cash, which they somehow failed to inform me when I called in to confirm before I went to the club. I was in a hurry and could not return that day. I wanted to go pay today (29/04/2015) after work only to see they have already deducted the instalment of r455 for the month of may 2015. I phoned the montana branch where I am a member and they informed me they didnt know if they could refund me or not so I had to call head office after 8h00. I called head office and spoke with a lady named thabela and she so rudly informed me that I could not be re-funded the r455 for may and that I was only allowed to make use of the gym until tomorrow (30/04/2015) but that I would still have to pay the total cancellation fee of r1092... When I asked her why I had to pay for the month of may but was only alowed to use the gym for one more day and not the month they had already billed me for, she so kindly hung the phone up in my ear. Having all my details right in front of her as I gave her my id nr and she yet has not called me back, I phoned back and ended up by thabela again and she was rude and short off and couldn't answer my questions, when I asked for her supervisor or manager she hung the phone up again. I then called back again for the 3rd time and spoke with a nice lady called nancy who transfered me to a more suitable person equiped to assist me and I then spoke to keith who was very helpful and could assist me in a professional manner. I would like to know what is to happen with staff members like thabela, that treat thier loyal customers in this manner and just get away with it? After all if it weren't for all their loyal customers who would pay he salary each month? And then it is still expected of me to pay the cancellation fee, with this type of service?!?!?!?!?!? I would like to get a response asap as to how this matter wil be treated, and by no other than a high up manager who knows what he is talking about.

Virgin Activeservice

The reason why I ended my membership was due to a member of staff lossing control. My membership had been messed up by a member of staff and the membership manager dealt with it so badly, the conversation/confrontation ended in me walking backwards while she came forwards rasing her voice and spitting as she spoke. It was almost impossible to complain. After calling a customer care centre who at first didn't know who the manager was and gave me the wrong person to contact, finally the actual manger told me he was on a training course so he couldn't give this his attention at the moment... I had to chase this after a while, it was clear they were not interested. Personally I think this member of staff would never approach someone in such a manner in public or on the street. Which in turns begs the question as to why she thought it was ok to treat someone like that... Maybe because she knows the clubs/company do not care. Had I behaved as she did, I'm sure I would be banned from the club.

jackdevilliers Oct 21, 2010

It has come to my attention that 2 of your staff members is intimately involved with your clients (Tygervalley Manager - Johan (22) and a Personal Trainer - Sevy (26). It is absolutely against company policy to have things like these happen a fitness facility of Virgin Active's stature.

Virgin Active Middelburgservice and staff

I've been an active member for years now and I am well aware we cannot compare our local club to the standards of the city but I however feel service and staff wise they should be on the same level. We have issues with the opening times, where all other clubs open and close both earlier and later, Middelburg changes by the mood of management on the day. The employee who opens during the week in the morning started training with two of her "friends" at 04:35 while almost 30 people stood outside the doors waiting in Que for the club to open. at 04:55 she quickly got of the stepper and came to unlock the door and aloud members in. Upon confrontation surrounding how they are aloud to train we received an answer "we're management and can decide who gets in when. If that is the standard of service we receive I'll much rather move to a different health club

Virgin Active Derby — fiona morrison pt

Hello i'm a member at virgin and have had fiona morrison as a personal trainer. She never turns up...

Virgin Activesales consultant

I have been a member of the virgin active gym and still am a member but due to recent behaviour form one of virgin actives employees I have decided to terminate my contract with virgin active and will never even consider rejoining until this matter is dealt with (Ps 5 other relatives and friends of mine have terminated thier contracts with me so thats 6 contracts that have been lost)

The sales consultant is a rude, uncuth and absolutely disgustingly behaved individual who has no respect and decency for the people who actually pay her damn salary. Her name is carin doelley and she works at the virgin active richards bay she is absolutely unhelpful once asked to assist with a machine and responded that we must figure it out our selves laughed at and given dirty looks she is rude and just down right stubborn she does not meet virgin active criteria and this is shown with the way she treats her clients

Virgin Active — service and maintenance

I am a loyal virgin active member, and I have a love/hate scenario going on right now, I love my gym...

Pretoria

Virgin Activerudeness and ignorance

I have never been made feel so disgusted about being black and not knowing what my rights were as the consumer. First of all, as black i I am very much aware of it, I also happen to know my rights as a consumer. See when you have a made a promise to someone on a particular timeline, you stick to it. The consumer right book even starts with that statement. I spoke to Khaya Sinqe on May 22 and we wanted to sign up for the gym and because we wanted to start immediately he advised us that we would need to either pay a prorata amount for the regular sign up fee for those 5 days because we had not signed up for Vitality and then after the 5 days we go on to Vitality and pay the R1150 in two part between June and July. We thought the pro-rata was not going to make sense to pay for a full months premium for 5 days and we spoke to him and said that we will join at the beginning of June and just pay an amount of R575 and he assured us that will be good and he promised that he won't have to pay the premium for this month because there is a promotion happening where new sign ups do not have to pay for June which means everything that happens they know before hand. We went there today and we were told they no longer do two parts on payments and that we have to pay it in full! Since when??? We had an amazin talk time last month and now??? We were lied to and they called someone called Darren who said he was a manager, the manager we know is Carl Wegner. Darren told us there is nothing he can do and told us to leave. He did not care to even apologize about the explanation we had on the table about why we came back. Imagine two black people being escorted out of a white environment looking stupid. Second of all, I need to report the khaya who added me on a social network called Whatsapp. I did not know if that is something that is permissible in your policies for you employees to take the client's contacts and use them the way they like. I could go on for days about the corruption of this club with any requested proof. I will not be joining virgin Active anymore, well at least not the Gardens one, unless I get to speak to Carl himself or the CEO of Virgin Active, Yes I might be pushing it, but I am totally disgusted. I apologize for pulling the race card on it but the way i was treated, took me back in time.

Virgin Active South Africa — billed after cancellation and handed over to debt collectors

I cancelled my contract with virgin active in september 2013 but was handed over to debt collectors telling...

Virgin Active Randburg — videos/photos allowed to be taken of members

Disgusted at how Virgin Active Randburg condoned the actions of personal trainer Bernadette Meyer who took a...

Johannesburg

Virgin Active Gymfalse advertising

I wanted to take out a Virgin Active contract for my son who is a student at university. I phoned Virgin Active in Little Falls and spoke to Nombi about the different contracts and the prices of these contracts. She explained everything to me and said that they have a Premier Student packet for R449 per month. She explained that thismeans that the student will get the same benefits as somebody on a Premier package (normal price R625 per month) but because he is a student, they call it a Premier Student. He will be able to go and excercise any time of the day, any day of the week and at any of the Virgin Active gyms in the country, and this package will cost me R449 per month. This package was much better than the Student Limited package, as the Student Limited package restricted him to only excercise between 08h00 and 16h00 during the day, and then again after 19h00 again at night. I then went ahead and said that I would like him to go onto the Premier Student package, for R449 per month, and then asked her how would they know when he is no longer a student. She said that every year, he will have to proof that he is still a student, and as long as he can proof that, he may remain on the Premier Student package, otherwise he will have to choose a different package.

I then phoned my son, and explained to him what she said. He asked me to phone her back, and to double check what she said, as he also found out on his side, and nobody told him about this package. I then phoned her back, and double checked with her, and again she told me the exact same story.

Today my son went to her to go and sign a contract, and all of a sudden everything was different. They can not offer him this package, as it does not exist. The only options are the Student Limited package, amongst other packages with similar benefits, or the Premier which will cost him R625 per month. Then they wanted him to join for 2 years, and that he can then get for R569 per month.

This is absolutly false "advertising" from Nombi's side. I asked all the relevant questions, not only once, but a couple of times, because I wanted to make sure that I understood her correctly. Not only did I asked the relevant questions, I phoned back, and double checked that I understood her correctly.

Under the consumer act this is unacceptable, and I should get what I was quoted for.
                      BUT
                      I found out that the phonecalls are not recorded, so there are no records of what she told me. Isn't this convenient.??????

Virgin Active — bad work procedure and health and serious safety issue,

I worked at virgin active in falmer, near brighton as a lifeguard for over a year, and I am writing to...

Virgin Activedebit order 4 months after cancellation

I cancelled my Virgin Active gym contracts for myself and my family over 4 months ago due to financial difficulties. Out of the blue Virgin Active start deducting money out of my account again. I find this very unethical and possibly illegal.

• Belleville May 01, 2013

Virgin Activeagreement signed by 18 year old that is unemployed without parent consent

My son went and signed a contract at Virgin active for a period of 1 year. He paid 2 months fees. My son is not employed he is a student and he signed this contract without my consent or knowledge. I am a single parent and can't afford to pay this. I don't want my son name to be blacklisted at such a early age. I explained all this to them and they are not willing to assist. He signed the contract in December 2012. I explained that how can they not check is a person is employed and without the parents consent as he is not 21 years old yet. I have the relevant emails .Membership Number [protected] - Shane Barker - Virign Active

Virgin Activecontract

Dear Sir or Madam.
                            On the 07 March 2011 (4 months after starting their contract) I submitted a request to cancel my 1 year gym contract with Virgin Active (with 30 days notice). I had to submit a letter why I'm cancelling the contract and I did. The reason I cancelled the contract is that my position was said to be redundant in my previous company and would ne unemployed the following month. I was then given a reciept (still have it) that my cancellation request is acknowledged and will be confirmed telephonically by one of their consultants. Indeed one of their consultants contacted me the next day and reluctantly confirmed my cancellation.
                            This month I recieved a letter saying that I owe them R2 274.00 and it's still going up until the year is finished (and even so I must come to them and cancel the contract or the debt will just increase). What can I do to get justice in this situation...clearly these people don't care. my email address is keith.[protected]@tigerbrands.com

• Ss
                                SSSiiibbb Jul 24, 2013

Have had such bad experiences with virgin active that I was happy to pay them just so that I never had to deal with them again.richard branson should be in jail in my opinion.

Chadri Greyling Oct 04, 2010

I was a student @ North West University in Potchefstroom. In 2007 I took out a Virgin Active Student membership for a year whick will roll over to monthly subscription as explained by the consultant at the Potchefstroom branch. The contract was paid by debitorder from my mothers account. In November 2009 I completed my studies and I my mother submitted a letter via fax to the Potchefstroom branch to inform them that I was moving to Heidelberg Gauteng (no Virgin Active within 45km radius). My mother also stopped the debit order as I would not be using their services effective 01/11/2009. In January 2010 my mother received a phone call from a Virgin Active employee that asked my mother what is to be done and my mother confirmed to the lady that the contract is to be cancelled and the lady said that she will do so as we alreadysubmitted the cancellation letter. In March we recieved a call from Cape Town from a man and he informed us about the R1138 that we had to pay to Virgin Active as we did not pay because the debit order was stopped. We told him that the lady confirmed in January that she will cancel the contract as we requested in the letter. April came and again they asked for payment. Just to ask..how did the amount get up to R1138? They continued the contract after we requested them to stop it. We were asked to submit the cancellation letter but we threw it away when I moved for a job. Because of human error they now tell me that the letter was never received..it took them 4 months to inform me of that. Now I am being threatened with attorney's. I got a call from MBD - a agency which work with accounts that do not get paid. The fellow that I talked to informed me that they get a lot of complaints about Virgin Active and a lot of contracts that these types of problems arise from. virgin Active also did not receive confirmatio that I was moving...well on the application form they ask you were you reside permanently and I filled in my Home P.O. Box number as that is were I permanently live. How can they expect students to have a contract for years and years when you stop your studies eventually and move on!! The Virgin Active employees also scream and shout when they talked to me...the one lady actually let me to believe that the only way for me to get out of this mess is if i died...wow..great customer service. What should I do?? They never said to me when I signed for the contract that I could not stop my contract when I moved away...they never said that my contract was only on a yearly basis. I asked every person that phoned me to stop the contract but they did not..whom else should I have told to do so as these people work with contracts and they work for Virgin Active so whom should one speak to?? Only now they ask us to submit the letter..why didnt they ask for it in January??? And why did they keep the contract going for so long after we telephonically asked them to cancel it???? Please help me!!

• El
                                ElaineP Jan 07, 2010

I have a similar issue to most people. Virgin Active mis-sold the contract to me. When I swoped to a Diamond Contract, they told me I could cancel after 12 months. When I signed the contract I didn't have my glasses with me and asked them manager to summerise the contract. He said I should be able to trust him as I had been a memeber for a long time. BIG MISTAKE.

A lot of the original trainers have left and recently the new members of staff have been makings comment relating to people over a certain age and I no longer feel comfortable in the gym so emailed to cancel the contract. They had no record of the email or follow-up letter, so I stopped the direct debted. They responsed to this.

I have called them and they said the matter will be transfered to their legal department.