Viking MagazineThey won't let me cancel!

S

I keep getting phone calls from them, telling me I can't cancel and if I don't pay they will send it to collections! I explained to them I am not working and have to feed my children. They said I owe them 825.00.For magazines, are you kidding me? They said I committed myself to five years! Well they kept calling me and calling me, and each time I thought it was to confirm my order,so maybe I wasn't paying close attention to what was being said. There has to be a way out of this mess!!!

Can someone please help me?

• Ki
    Kim Parra Nov 29, 2017

DO NOT, HEAR ME WHEN I SAY, DO NOT EVER DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE!!! They are the rudest people I have ever dealt with in my life. They have called me a liar on the phone, rude, and then went as far as saying I must have a problem with the male sex...REALLY, I love the male sex. I have never ever dealt with such rude people in my life, and I am paying them, guess the joke is on me. They will not get another dime of my money, so collections here I come, don't even care about that anymore. A company that insults their paying customers, well shame shame on them. So if I can stop even one person from dealing with them, I will. Do not do business with these people, they are heartless, souless creatures that I am come from a far distant planet lol.

• St
    Starlet Smith Aug 08, 2017

I can't make payments any more so I need them to stop taking it off my card please thank you

• St
    Starlet Smith Aug 08, 2017

U can't make payments any more so I need them to stop taking it off my card please thank you

• Ri
    RickyP Mar 07, 2017

Just would have liked to been in the Viking building when I got the call. I have no issues with paying any bill that I owe but, for someone to tell me im playing stupid, telling me im a liar, etc, one of us would have left the building with some professional help. Ridiculous the way they think they should have to talk to anyone like that.

• Mr
    Mrs. Conlin Oct 25, 2016

A few months back I had an email about receiving a Walmart gift card so I went on and tried to sign up for it. About twenty minutes later I am receiving a call from Viking Magazine. At first I thought hey this is a good deal to get these multiple magazines. I went thru the whole process thinking it was all legit. I then spoke with my husband about it and he brought me back to reality that we honestly could not afford to get the magazines ordered. I tried to call right back to cancel the order and the lady said I had to speak with the person I spoke with to have it canceled and she would have him call me back. I never received a call back from them. I have received several calls and letters and each time I tell them I want to cancel the order because I/we can not financially afford it they keep saying its past the cancelation period and it will be put into collections and labeled as refusal to pay. Darn strait I refuse to pay almost 1, 000$ for just 4or5 magazines. Now that I am reading all of these comments about how all of you have, like myself, been taken in by these scam artists, . I'm glad I canceled my card before they where able to get any money out of me.

• Eb
    EBusta Oct 17, 2016

I WAS JUST ABLE TO CANCEL! IF YOU ARE LOCATED IN WISCONSIN THERE IS A LAW THAT STATES YOU CAN NOT ENTER A VERBAL CONTRACT FOR A PERIOD FOR GREATER THAN A YEAR. BECAUSE THE "VERBAL CONTRACT" IS FOR MORE THAN A YEAR THE WHOLE CONTRACT IS NULL AND VOID UNLESS YOU SIGN A PAPER CONTRACT. I just received an email stating that my subscription was cancelled and I will no longer be charged.

Charlessieg Jul 28, 2016

My wife started receiving calls asking for me saying they wanted to confirm my order. When I finally spoke to them and told them not interested the guy continued to go on about payment. I told them I could not afford it and the next thing I know they are charging my bank account money and I never agreed to service. They need to stop or I a, filing a lawsuit.

• Na
    NanaLynn Jul 15, 2016

Received a 3rd party phone call and was sold on the magazines with the promise of an IPad and a $250 gift card. Then transferred to at least 3 different people prior to being told I would be paying approx $1, 000 over 20 mos for magazines. Tried to cancel and I have to wait for a supervisor to contact me. The only have 2. Been waiting a week with my order on hold. No one else can help and they will just keep trying to call. A scam to be reported to Consumer Affairs and BBB

• Na
    Naptown Pete Dec 18, 2014

Finally I think I have an end to Viking Magazine Services.
    I got another call from Gary talking about the renewal, that it's only locking in the price for what my current subscription is existing with.
    Seems he wasn't listening to me when I said I do not want to continue my subscription.
    We went back and fourth a few times where he was continuing to not understand.
    Finally a second call came to me about the "renewal" and used more exact terms and I immediately told him that I am not renewing.
    So my last frikkin payment will be next August.
    Glad it will be over.

• Dh
    D.Hannah Dec 12, 2014

I had a call with them a few months ago, they want to give me my personal info (how much I worked, my SS number etc.) After that, I asked them in a nice tone of voice to cancel the order, but didn't. Now I'm stuck paying almost $200 in bills. My next step is to file a complaint to the BBB and work out this problem. Beware and steer clear of people who don't listen or do business properly.

• Brandon satolli Dec 10, 2014

I called at least 6months trying to cancel my account. Everytime i try they ask then y did u sign up to receive magazines. I never heard of them before, i didn't even know they existed before they called me. I have tried so many times to cancel my account and im getting very sickened over this. They some how got identity and called me ive had itso im just going to let me go pass my deadline and stop paying them till they get it in their brains that i want my account cancelled cause i never signed up for this ###ed magazine company their pooor cause they charge u 900$ for snotty magizines thats it

• Lo
    loulou22 Aug 05, 2014

Hi my name is Linda and i'm getting tired of these people calling and telling me that i owe them for magazines i never got and they are sending me to collections i canceled the mag's four days after i thought about this and said no way so icalled and canceled it and they keep calling me i explain that i have was not intrested and they hang up on me getting ###en tired of this i canceled my credit card and i just got called about an hour ago they wanted the new number for my card and i said ### i'm not giving any dam number i canceled it they told me they have phone records and i said well you have records so do i when i canceled and that i'm getting a lawyer and they hung up so what does that tell you about this so called company

• Sh
    Shane91 May 19, 2014

Luckily I got on this site as I was on the phone with them. Unfortunately they did get my card number. I told them I want to cancel right now. They said they will get on that. The guy I spoke with said his name was Anthony Roberts. If that is his real name, then I'm going to find him in IOWA and make sure that I get my moneys worth in their "service". Get ready Anthony, because I'm coming for you!

• Cb
    cbgcoast May 14, 2014

Can i cancel this the day after i agreed? I can't afford this payment. Help.

• Ph
    phunnell Apr 23, 2014

Sometime in early April a phone marketer for this company called my husband's cell phone and told him that he had won a gift certificate plus some magazine subscriptions and took our address, his social security number, debit card number and my cell phone number. I only discovered that he was sold and billed for $948.10 when a late payment notice came to the house via mail. They never sent a confirmation of order, copy of a contract, cancellation form or any other correspondence regarding this. My husband has absolutely no memory of this phone call or transaction as he is disabled with long term diagnosis of Traumatic Brain Injury, Hydrocephalus, & Asphasia. This is all documented by his doctors and he has been disabled since 1992. Due to these conditions he is unable to comprehend the very magazines he was sold. He is not competent to conduct financial or business transactions outside of simple cash purchases for himself. I hold Power of Attorney for him and conduct all our business.
    This past weekend we called the customer service of this company to cancel this service and they played back the recording of the original phone call in which he is clearly slow to answer and is not really understanding what is happening. Nevertheless they are now calling him constantly and harassing us both for payment. The customer service person responded to all my questions by parroting my questions back to me, belittled my husband and myself and refused to work with me in any way to correct this situation. They also recorded my conversation without my permission.

• Ph
    phunnell Apr 23, 2014

• Re
    redneckjesse Sep 25, 2013

that's ### i'm a new customer with them and they better ###ing let me cancel or i'll get tha cops involved and have my credit card canceled so they cain't do jack ### to me and i'll tell my social security to no answer their phone calls and not to pay them a damn thang

• Ro
    rosered60 Sep 19, 2013

They called me yesterday and reeled me in. 1) I am sick with the flu. I'm taking prescription cough syrup that has codeine in it. 2) I fell through the ceiling while up in the attic thus incurring a nasty head injury. This injury has taken most of my short term memory. This morning, (off the cough syrup) I added up how much the $50 x 60 months, payments were going to amount to. ($3, 000.00) SHOCK! My hubby hit the roof! Honestly, I don't remember much of WHAT the people said. They talked really really fast!! Anyway, I called the company and explained the situation. They weren't happy about me wanting to cancel since I just ordered the day before. However, they DID let my cancel my order and the rep was very understanding. Actually, all the reps yesterday were very polite.

• Cr
    Crystal Hohenberger Sep 10, 2013

Thank God for you guys! I was called this morning, I am a stay at home mom with two children. I of course jumped at the chance to get the 5 magazines for 60 months for 59.90 a month. They also offered me a $250 gift card for some online shopping thing. After I got it all set up I got this gut feeling and decided to check out their website to be sure they were legit. Low and behold the page could not be found! So I did a search for it on Bing and all of these scam warnings popped up. I called them back immediately and asked to cancel. They of course were all very friendly to me, probably to reel you in. When the manager asked who upset me and who she needs to fire, I simply told her that my husband said it was a definite no. She offered to make the payments less, I told her no thank you, and she cancelled it. I am thinking about calling back to make absolutely sure it was cancelled so they don't take any money out of our account so he doesn't find out.

• Sg
    SGrubb Jul 22, 2013

They have taken my second payment out of my account, and still no magazines. I called customer service and they said i still have a month before my first magazine will arrive. So I will be on my third $50 something payment by then. On a lighter note, my 5 year service does not start until i recieve my first magazine. The customer service lady was helpful and knowledgable. She was in no way rude. She also agreed to mail me a list of the magazines that I chose as well as the other options they have in case I want to change my choice of magazine.

• De
    DebraSM Jul 01, 2013

I JUST had this terrible experience over the phone with Viking. I was genuinely interested in receiving some magazines, especially the cooking ones and I had selected ESPN for my husband. The salesperson was nice and educated, and answered all my questions. The second "supervisor" ensured me everything was great. I asked when I was going to be charged, I was told only after I started receiving all my magazines. LIE, but I'll get to that in a minute. The first salesperson told me I was getting five years subscription to ESPN for about $3.65 a week, and was being charged about $15 a month. (all the other magazines were "free") I didn't think it was that bad for 5 years getting 6 magazines. But then, the "supervisor" informs me instead of being billed monthly, she's decided to ding my CC for three months at a time for $47 for 20 months (in essence, getting all their money up front and who even knows if you get your 5 years of magazines.) But here's where they went wrong, when they sent me to a third person, the "confirmation" person, lucky for me I was paying close attention. This guy named off 3 out of 6 magazines that weren't even in the original line up--ESPN nowhere to be found. AND he told me my subscription was only for 42 months. I should have known this was a scam from the get go. I told this guy to CANCEL this order immediately, that it was a SCAM and I hung up the phone.

Then I called my CC company to cancel the card. Wouldn't you know Viking Magazines had already CHARGED my account, not even the original amount, but almost DOUBLE the amount for $78. SCAMMERS! Stay away! I absolutely did not authorize this order and told them to cancel it. Unbelievable and definitely terrible business practices.

annette farquhar Mar 12, 2013

my name is annette farquhar my bank accout is over drawen i need u to put the money back into the account..

• Be
    bettyboo2 Sep 18, 2012

here is what happened to Capital One...for those who are familiar with this credit company and may have had problems with them. apparently the federal bureau for cosumers are finally cracking down on companies who have unscrupluos practices. maybe Viking magazine should get a heads up on this too: "What did Capital One do wrong? The CFPB, which was created out of the Dodd-Frank Act, said it discovered Capital One was lying to consumers about the its products. The third-party call centers it had hired used high-pressure sales tactics to sell consumers add-on features to their credit cards but misled them about the benefits." i have been getting magazines i never ordered and was led to believe i would get A $250 gift card. i got several small gift cards like $25 on up to products i would never purchase.

• Co
    coolhandluke8b Sep 10, 2012

yeah they did this scam we had to close my bank account they can send me to collections if i ever see these dumb ### holes im gonna beat the crap out of them we never even ordered their junk hope they burn in hell for screwing my children out of me being able to pay my power bill this month arrggggggggggggg. We told them no we dont want their service but hey i guess no means yes to them. I will be trying to take legal action against these thief pigs!

• Ms
    MsRay007 Aug 15, 2012

I am being charged for an unauthorized purchase. Someone called my house. After realizing it is a scam, I told them I didn't want to continue the subscription and hung up. WHY AM I BEING CHARGED??? I will dispute this to the highest authority. I don't like people playing with my money. You just can't trust anyone these days.

• Dv
    DVDanno Jun 20, 2012

sorry, what I meant to say was, 11am***

• Dv
    DVDanno Jun 20, 2012

`They somehow knew the perfect time to call me. I worked at 11pm and was leaving right at 10:30. I was still half asleep sitting in my car and what do I get? Viking Magazine. The total of calls were 3; first a man, then a woman, then a woman again. I can see the tactics already. It went from "Attract, " "reassure, " then "confirm."
    I can't believe I was so naive to fall for it. Even though they spoke politely to me, I'm still aggravated from the fact of being fooled.

And here's the key part that had me lost: They said that I, ad in me, was in a "million dollar sweepstakes" because of "some survey" I did.

What survey did I do in the past 2012? NONE.

But I was still so naive to fall for it and give them my information. I was worrying the whole time during work until 3pm and then I sit in my car at the parking lot, calling them again. I didn't care about the waiting, I had to wait for nearly 5 minutes total until I reched the supervisor. Her name was Katy. She was surprisingly nice only because I was speaking nice.
    One thing though about her that ticked me off even more was her fallacy-tactics of Red Herring. After I asked about "how to cancel my subscription, " she would draw to "other options" that I could take for the subscription.
    So here's where I'm at at: Instead of paying 58-60 dollars for 6 subscriptions, I was able to halve it to 3 magazines of my choice, 1 for 2 years, 1 for 2 years, and 1 for 1 year.

Though one thing that I'm still suspicious of is that Katy told me that I'll get the other half of my money back into my MC Debit account. So I made it somewhere, but not close enough to cancel this ###. But I'm going to call them again and bug them, but if I can't get it cancelled and they decide to be a ### to me, I'm going to report them.
    Pleeeeeeeeeeeease any one else who is reading this; DON'T GIVE YOUR INFORMATION AWAY!

• Pc
    pchairrider Jun 03, 2012

They called me last week, I was on on some pretty heavy duty pain meds at the time and agreed to the deal, the next day when I realized what I had done I tried to call them back, the number they gave me was for a car rental company...NOT EVEN THEIR NUMBER!!! I finally found their number and called explaining what had happened and they wanted to cancel, they said ok I will find out tomorrow if they try to pull the payment from my bank. Wish me luck please.

• Ro
    Robert c. Huffar May 03, 2012

I agree with these complaints. I made the mistake of agreeing with paying for the magazines that they are selling. The problem is that, I have never received any of the magazines that were ordered and I never received a bill of any kind. They call me at work and then they hang up. They are calling my bosses, I wonder what they are going to do next.

• Bl
    blueeyedspecial May 01, 2012

I agree with you I am also going through the same issue. They kept taking money out of my account but no magazine ever showed up at my door. How do u keep paying for something that never shows up you try to cancel and they will not allow. change bank accounts to stop payment then it goes to collections. How to get out of this mess is beyond me but I keep trying to get out of.

• Hu
    HunterN Mar 06, 2012

I signed up back in 2010. Last year I spoke to them in the summertime because I wanted to cancel, and they said that when I was finished paying my pay period next spring which is now, I would be done. Now, one of their marketing VP's is telling me in 2010 I signed up for autorenew and I have to pay $68 a mo. for 23 more months. I'm in the military and shouldn't have to put up with this ###. I don't like this company and their sly ways.

Mad in NH Jan 27, 2012

Yes I just had a lovely conversation with Viking also. They are scam artists. They had me listen to a recording of my husband ordering the magazine. The recording was hard to hear and my husband kept saying " I'm sorry I can't hear you what did you say." I explained that they took out the first payment of $ 79.90 in December. Then another payment in January. They said there was a 14 day cancelation policy. My husband was under the understanding that is was a one time fee of $ 79.90 so how could we possibily want to cancel with in the 14 days if we thought the one time payment was the only payment. This smart mouthed girl Cori (who sounded about 16) told me too bad too sad. I am pissed and will go to the end of the earth to correct this. I will not quit. So watch out Viking Magazine. All of there good Americans are after YOU know. Hold on tight it will be a very bumpy ride for you.

• Ni
    ninliz Oct 18, 2011

im really really really freaken mad at viking magazines, i though they were some professional company but turns out sucks, SUCKS AS HELL!!!, they wouldn't let me cancel my account. I explained told t them that i couldn't afford it anymore because im just a student and i'm out of work but still they won't let me cancel, instead they kept repeating saying that if i don't pay they will turned me in to collection. i just think that they're just so unprofessional, and it should be shut down.

jones4life Sep 27, 2011

They called me 3 months ago and I told them I just got a car and my job is just giving me enough hours so I can pay my bills, car insurance, and to eat and then they told me since I was already paying for two months with I did at first have the money to pay them then they stop calling then a month later they call and tell me I need to pay 418.60 in full or they are going to come after me in whatever means necessary to get there money now it has been 2 minths and they call back and tell me the same thing and now I am in college and I still have to pay for my books and I told them I don't have the money for that because my car is messing up and I need 321 for my car and he told me the same thing that they going to get there money so I should just pay them I wish I could but I don't got a good job since I am just a freshman in college and trying to make ends meet by paying my bills and eating.

• Th
    Thunderbird26 Aug 30, 2011

Correction, They also go by National Renewal Exchange (NRE). They probably use different names to prevent people from tracking complaints. These guys are scam artists that need to be stopped. I am going to make sure I do my part to stop them. Give them a call and let them know that we are out to get them, [protected].

• Th
    Thunderbird26 Aug 30, 2011

This company managed to single-handedly make today one of the worst days in my life and I am no youngster. I guess the worst decision I ever made was to pick up the phone the day they called. They also use the name National Magazine Renewal. If you want to call and make their day miserable go ahead and have fun, [protected].

• Ci
    Ciammad Aug 24, 2011

When I first got the magazines things were fine, even after the 14 days; but since then I have not been able to pay. It is all due to the economy. I have looked and put in for work, but have not found anyone that would hire me. You still refuse to release me. There are people that have the magazines for over 14 days but then can not afford to pay after the 14 days. It is not that they do not want to pay, but have to chose between gas and food or an unnessary item. People would not see you as a scam if you would show some compassion. Let us go.

• Ke
    Kerry Snead May 24, 2011

I just got a call from Viking Mag and they said they got my number from a credit card company I'm in good standing with, I knew they were full of it because I havent had a credit card in over 15 years. So while he was yacking on and on I got on my computer and looked them up, and low and behold, I found this site. So when I started reading the complaints back to the guy he started stuttering and repeating the same crap he had already said. I told him to lose my number because if they called again I was gonna look up their physical address and pay them a personal visit...LMAO

• Vl
    vlmlambs May 13, 2011

I too am a victim of this company. I have just filed a complaint to the better business bureau http://www.bbb.org/us/. I urge any one that is having a problem to file a complaint if we can get enough complaints maybe we can get this taken care of

• Pr
    PRMother Mar 26, 2011

My son made a big mistake by signing a verbal agreement with a magazine company (Viking Magazine) over the phone who promised "millions of prizes and rewards". However, he never got the magazines he ordered and called to cancel because they were charging him almost $69 every month and withdrawing the money from his checking account. He called them several times to cancel with no avail. We had to close his bank account and now they are harassing him via letters threatening him with collection agencies and bad credit reports. We found out that we are not alone. There are many others who have been scammed by this company. Does not he have the right to cancel a contract, which they said is a binding contract, at any time if we are not satisfied with the services rendered? We need advice.
    Thanks.