Viking Magazine Service Logo

Viking Magazine Service

Having problems with Viking Magazine Service?

+1 800 339 9492 (Customer Service)
P.O. Box 201059

Fri9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

thought I commited to one year. It is five they say i commited too.

Out of four magazines that were ordered in August 2011. I have only received Better Home and Gardens. They mailed a Parents magazine, which we pick up for free at the coffee shop, They also sent ESPN magazine that no one the the ordered or do we read !!! Are there any honest companies out there ?????? I do not recommend using this service. Does anyone know the parent company name or how to get it?? I'm tired of talking to the manager, that only wants to sign me up for more mags.. I am placing a compliant with better BBB.

• Je
    Jennie Redfield Jan 04, 2012

• Mi
    MISSYNHOPKINS Feb 02, 2012

DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY THEY ARE SO STUPID AND RUDE AND ALL THE ABOVE!!! I ASK FOR 4 MAGAZINES THAT I WANT. NEXT THING I KNOW THERE SENDING ME MORE! SO I CALL THEM AND THEY TALK SO FAST I CANT HEAR THEM AND THEN THEY TRICKED ME IT TO BUYING MORE!!! i STOPPED PAYING AND THERE STILL SENDING THEM WHAT EDIOTS I TELL THEM I DONT WANT ANY! STOP SENDING THEM. THEY KEEP SENDING THEM UGH!!!:(

• Ta
    tamekagantt12 Oct 15, 2012

I agree as well; They have a very bad attitude with clients, and they are disrespectful. This to me is bad community service. They won't let you speak to a manger they put on with a seller, and they lie to you telling you that there they manger. I know mangers have someone higher then them as well. If they don't give me my money back I will sue them higher for what they took.

• Gk
    gknight87 Nov 20, 2012

This is a low down dirty company. They are very rude and disrespectful. They never told me I was being financed for the magazines. I though I was just paying over time . Now I have a kid on the way and I can't cancel because off it. They are taking out of my family's well being. It is bull and I hate this company. They are greedy ###. There is a special spot in hell for these people. They said I had 14 days to cancel after I ordered that wasn't even long enough to get a magazine.

I didn't want all the books/

They started calling me all hours of the day and night. I canceled on 11/09/11 and they are still sending me books plus no return address to return books that I don't want. Today, I called them, they took money from my account at bank my bank and they have no record of any payments for today. They are not cooperating with me or canceling my order. Please feel free to contact me at [protected]@yahoo.com.
Lucinda Britton
[protected]

Sharing contact information?

I suspect Viking Magazine to have shared my contact information with Magazine Services! Here's why: I am being charged $49.90 monthly for magazine services I didn't order. The only information I have on this company is the phone number [protected]) which appears next to the charge on my debit card statement. I already have a subscription with "Viking Magazine" and is paying $62.50 monthly for 5 magazine subscriptions.. I suspect that "Magazine SVC" got my contact information from them. I do recall getting a call from a magazine service rep in DEC-2010 from - what I was tricked into believing - Viking magazine, but apparently it wasn't.. these people are so slick. The caller was calling to re-new some of my magazine subscriptions and explained that I still had 30 payments left before the account was paid in full.. and this is where I exploded in anger and was escalated to a "Tier 5" customer service rep.; during this call, I kept referring to the issues I had with them (which include receiving magazines, including Maxim, that I never would subscribe to and not being able to afford another 2-3 year of paying on magazines).. at no point in time did the service rep. tell me, that I wasn't subscribing to this magazine with them, nor that I wasn't paying $62.50 a month to them already.. Remember; I am still thinking that I am talking to Viking Magazine. Well, after almost an hour of yelling, I was mentally tired and caved to the smooth talker on the line. I was promised a "reduced rate" of $49.90 per month.. still thinking it was my Viking payment that was going to be reduced.. but no; I now have 2 magazine charges on my debit card totaling $112.40 per month, and this has been going on for the past 4 months. Needless to say; my bank account is being closed tomorrow, before I go bankrupt.. And I will never ever make dealings with anybody over the phone again. From now on, I will require something in writing (sent to me in the mail that I will have to sign), before I let ANYBODY automatically take payments out of my bank account. Feel free to share any similar experiences you've had (or have) with me [protected]@hotmail.com . Thank You!

bait and switch method

My son got a new phone and was called by viking magazine saying he won a $ 250.00 visa card. Young and inexperienced he was excited about winning a visa ...thru an extremely sweet and fast talking employee named Danielle he was sucked into magazines. Only one would have been interesting to him . He is a slow reader and has had a learning disability through out his schooling. She got him signed up with many magazines when he stated the only one i would be interested in would be (ESPN sport) She got his credit card number and his social security and moms name and phone numbers etc. We sent a cancel notice immeditely when recieved in mail. I called customer service manager Kim Cox and told her we cancelled right away and she said we didn't recieve it!!! She said you cant cancel! I wanted to talk to higher up and was told there is no higher up in command . So I said so your'e the owner ? No ...there is no higher up in customer service! She refused me any further information on who I could talk to... I will be reporting to all BBB. Attorney general, States attorney etc. Hopefully there is a class action lawsuit open now! I will check And definately want to sue!

• Vi
    viking magazine service Dec 18, 2011

@ viking magazine service we have 3 different people you speak with to go over all your magazines and make sure you understand the prices, which magazines you will be receiving and also go over all your information with the customer and about the 250.00 GIFT CARDS TO EOUTLETSTORES.COM not a visa gift card i don't know where you got that from???? he was asked questions he could of said no too... if he would of payed attention... also if he dint understand then why did he sign up for the magazines??? that's what i don't get is people DONT LISTEN TO THE AGREEMENTS we go over very thoroughly!!! Our company is not a scam of any kind!!! we also like to make sure you understand everything in detail...we have customers that have been with the company for many years and are very satisfied...he gave us his card number and social we asked he gave if he dint want to give information then we say OK that's fine if your not comfortable then we can move on...and all the magazines are given 5 or 6 at price together of 3.98 a week averages out to be 15.98 a month. for all 6 mags. your 3rd phone call is always recorded so ask to listen to the tape... We are a wonderful company at viking magazine service and we treat all customer with great respect so please don't bash us... Yes there are going to be some people that aren't satisfied and a lot that are but looking at a couple complaints shouldn't be the reason to change your mind about our service... i hope everyone reads this and understands we truly do care about our customers thank you!

• Ka
    kaity1 Feb 03, 2012

Read this website. VMS is located in MN and not only is a contract null and void when one of the persons involved is underage, but a contract is also illegal when regarding the sale of goods worth over $500 without a written, signed, and notarized contract. It may not have become clear yet to you, but they end up telling you that in actuality you owe them something close to $1000, and that they will get it-or else. It's complete BS, and you should cite some of these penal codes when sending them a letter. Also, I read somewhere online from a post of a former employee stating that in his employee training he was explicitly ordered NEVER to sell to lawyers. They wouldn't have that policy unless they knew that what they were doing was unlawful. They have been able to stay in business so long because most people don't bother to look up the law regarding issues such as these and actually believe this company when they claim the contract is legal and binding.. Hope this helps.

• Jm
    jmaybe Mar 01, 2013

I am trying to decide if I am going to join and am really on the fence. Any advice anyone? How much are the individual gift cards to the stores worth???? Please let me now I need to know before they debit my account if I need to get out!!!

• Rr
    RRhaynee Mar 04, 2013

THE GIFT CARD IS A JOKE AND SO IS THE COMPANY! THEY TELL YOU IN THE BEGINNING THAT IF IT EVER BECOMES A FINANCIAL BURDEN ON YOU THAT YOU CAN CANCELL AT ANYTIME! HA! YA RIGHT THATS A LIE! I STARTED THESE SERVICES FIRST WITH A 3 MONTH FREE TRIAL PERIOD AND THEN I HAVE ONLY PAID FOR 2 MONTHS OF SERVICES AND NOW I HAVE A HUGE MEDICAL BILL THAT I HAVE TO PAY AND I CANNOT AFFORD THIS AND THEY TOLD ME THAT ITS TOO LATE THAT I CANNOT CANCEL MY SERVICES BECAUSE ITS ALREADY 14 DAYS PAST MY 1ST BILL! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME AND NOW IM "LOCKED" INTO AN 18 MONTH PAY PLAN OF $50 A MONTH! I KNOW IT DOESNT SEEM LIKE A LOT BUT WHEN U ARE LIVIING ON BARELY ANYTHING THAT IS A LOT! I HAVE NEVER SIGNED ANYTHING STATING THAT I AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THE RECORDED PHONE CALL WHERE THEY STATED THIS TO ME BUT SURE AS HELL THEY WONT PROVIDE IT! I WILL DEFINITELY BE CONTACTING MY LAWYER AND ANY OTHER COMPANY THAT I CAN TO TAKE THIS COMPANY DOWN AND GET MY MONEY BACK! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! AND THE SO CALLED $250 GIFT CARD IS A JOKE IN ITSELF YOU GET $25-$50 THAT YOU GET THAT IS FOR 8 DIFFERENT STORES OF THEIR CHOOSING AND AND SPECIFICALLY ASKD IF I CAN USE IT ANYWHERE AND THEY TOLD ME YES I CAN! ITS ALL LIES!!! I DO NOT RECOMEND THEM TO ANYONE!!

continued harrassment and highpressure,bullying salesmen

they have continuely harassed my family with high pressure sales tactics even trying to sell to a minor in my home. they try to con you with gift cards, five hundred dollar fake shopping sprees with excessive high pressure bullying tactics. they need to be put out of business. and although they may have an a+ rating it got revoked go to better business bureau and see for yourself. I think the last count was 187 complaints in 36 months.

FRAUD

this company is FRAUDULENT!!!
they say i have agreed to things i have never even mentioned. they called me to offer me a 3 month subscription for several magazine, they said all i had to pay was 39.90 in total. then they charged my card each month for 39.90 for one year. i tried to cancel several times and they said it was not possible. last week, their billing dept called me to tell me this was my last payment. i agreed and was so happy to hear that. today they called me and told me that i still had 3 years of receiving magazines. i said no, because i didnt agree to that and i didnt want my card charged. i told them i had moved also so i didnt need anyhting anymore. they threatened me telling me i needed to give them my new address if not they would issue the renewal and charge me. i immediately called my bank to cancel my card. i tried calling them back at their number [protected], and it seemed the number was non existent. they have been calling me the past 2-3- months from this number all day, every day and i did not pick up until today thinking they would just confirm my last payment. i filed a complaint with BBB, cancelled my card, and thinking of filing a police report. i am scared as i do not want to be sent to collections ofr something i did not agree to.

Cancelation

Was told that I was comitted to a $1200 magazine subscription and have already made the first payment of $68. I was told that I can not cancel the subscription. Was given a $500 shopping spree, but when I logged on to the website to do my shopping there was hardly anything on the site worth buying much less $500 worth of stuff. When I called Viking Magazine to complain the rep was vary rude and didn't offer to help my situation in anyway. After my terrible phone conversation with Viking Magazine I logged back onto their website and seen that several other people had the same complaints. I was willing to spend alot of money with this company, but it turns out that Viking Magazine is more of a scam than a business. A scam to sale magazines and blindly commit people to paying a large amount of money for them and we have not received the first magazine we ordered. Viking Magazine is a rip off!

• Ti
    Tiredofdacrap Mar 06, 2012

OK I just hung up talking to them. I was told I won an entry into a million dollar contest. Then was told I would get free magazines
    which I had to PAY $ 3.68 for 60 months. Like an idiot I gave my cc# and then they tell me my first payment is going to be $70 and
    some change. Well I kept asking would I have to pay now and she said yes! I told her I simply can not afford this ever month. Then
    she said I can chose what day of the month and the amount that I want them to take out. Well I told her I wanted to decline the amount because I think its not a good idea to spend money I simply don't have.
    Now reading that some of the stuff offered like the $250 gift cards might now even be worth anything or the magazines are too many and not what you really want. Now that I think about it non of them would have been free if I am going to be paying over $70 a month. I sure its a scam so when I hung up I called and canceled my credit card. I just can't take that chance that the might try to take money out of my account. I will be a lot more careful in the future when getting calls like this and ask even more question.

I didnt think it was a scam

I got a phone call saying I have won a $500.00 shopping spree with there magazines and got to pick whatever I wanted from these magazines then was told this was not a scam. Then the guy on the phone told me that there was only a service fee of $3.5o every week for doing this deal. After he kept telling me about the magazines and what they were about and what magazines I was going to receive in the mail and could them change then with the 500 list of magazines I then could chose from. After he was done talking to me he said another person was going to call with more information for me and to verify my information to make sure I was me. Then the lady came on the phone and told me more about the magazines and then told me that there was a $69.00 charge for the first month then a $59.00 charge the next 6 months to complete the order and then have these magazines for almost 2 years or so. She asked me for my credit card number and I didn't realize that she was going to make the first payment right then and there for the magazines. So I was stupid and didn't think the whole thing through and gave it to her and went with everything thinking it was going to be a good deal in the long run, After the first phone call the lady never mentioned that I had won the $500.00 shopping spree with the magazines. I now have figured that out. Then she said another person was going to call me with more information and then I would be done with everything and move on with my night. The guy came on the phone and got more info out of me and even asked for my social security number, of course stupid me gave it to him and wasn't thinking of what I just have done!! Now that my boyfriend was smart and thought the whole thing through ITS A SCAM!!! The next day I canceled my credit card and hopefully they wont take money from me. Today I called the 800 number and canceled the magazine account and the lady for customer service was really mean and rude to me about the whole thing how does that work out??

SCAMMERS SUCK!!!

Any other advice about this whole thing?!!??

Scammed

I have read all the complaints about this business on here and now, I am pretty scared! I got a call from...

Stay away

In Dec Of last Year i received a call from Viking Mag. Service and entered into an agreement for some magazine subscription. After checking into them with the BBB i found out they had 181 complaints with the BBB not to mention all the complaints they have listed with www.complaints.com.After 1 week i called to cancel my subscription per the cancellation policy i was sent in the mail and was told no problem.After another couple of weeks i received another call from them telling me that they already put in my order and that i could not cancel my order so after having to read the cancellation policy to the guy i was speaking to over the phone i was told my order would be cancelled.now after 2 months i received a postcard from Subscription Audit Center P.O.Box 830 Clementon, NJ 08021 repersenting Viking Mag. Service with a new address and a different city which is Viking Magazine Service 18531 Egret Way Farmington Mn 55024 thanking me for my order which should have been cancelled 2 months ago.I, m tried of these people and i wish they would LEAVE ME ALONE.

• Ra
    randy123 May 13, 2010

I too got taken from Viking magazines, they refuse to let me cancel, they take money from my bank acct when ever they want and take as much as they want, this is WRONG, they dont want me to send in the mail money as they want to take it from bank accts --- stay away from them...

Marrilie Tompkins Jun 10, 2012

My son, a teacher, ordered some magazines from some students, He paid for them, but now they call all day and night. Every day. They call me on my phone and I tell them to stop calling me, but they don't. I'm on the Federal Do Not Call List but that makes no difference.

none

so today these people called me and asked me to sign up. and for a moment i was more then ready when told i was to be awarded a $500 online gift card with no strings attached... about 2 mins into the second conversation i realised this deal was stringed up like pinocio... 60 months? you have to listen to everything they say. i decided not to sign up, but i did give them my card #. =( but i swear if i get a charge ill be looking at them from across a court room. but about the customer service, they were actually very nice to me and honestly the first girl sounded cute. they were very polite to me and they seemed to be somewhat proffesional.(even the first rep who was aparently new)

• Kl
    KLM May 21, 2009

I have received 12 calls from this company and every time I answer the phone they hang up on me. They call at all different times of the day, they even call after 6 P. M. Central Time. I have asked to be put on the do not call list 3 times and they are still calling me and I just got a new phone number Tuesday and I had 4 calls that day 2 hours after my phone was connected.

magazines

Viking magazine service has been great for me. the reps i spoke with were very respectful and 5 magazines for the price of one!!! thats awsome. i love reading magazines so it worked out just great for me. im also able to change them at anytime so i can read tons of different ones. there is like 500 different ones to choose from. not to mention the free 500 shopping spree i received just for choosing viking as my magazine provider. if you like reading magazines im telling you viking is the way to go!!!

great service

IM NOT SURE WHY YOU ALL HAVE HAD SUCH PROBLEMS WITH THIS COMPANY. i THINK THEY ARE GREAT. ITS THE CHEAPEST...

Scam artists

I read the complaints and have the same problems. Strong arm bullying. I paid my subscription fees in full at the time of service 2 years ago. I have had nothing but trouble since. I receive the wrong magazines or substitutions for what they offered then no longer had. I've changed my choices twice and have not received any magazines in 4 months now. They call constantly to "check on the services" but by the end of the conversation, you've purchased something without even realizing it and have to argue your way out of new purchases before the end of the phone call. I never answer their calls anymore. I tried to opt out in the first month but I missed the 15 day deadline by 2 days. I receive renewal notices from magazines I haven't subscribed to...they told me to ignore these so I throw them away. These people are rude bullies and should be stopped. Please, please do not even talk to them. I had them play back a recorded phone call to find out how I had been suckered into paying for something I did not want...listening closely 3 or 4 times, I found they are very, very sneaky and slick. Do NOT end a phone call with them before making sure you have not signed up for more fees!

Terrible awful service

Viking Magazine Service has the most terrible service policy and awful staff ever. I made my last payment and they haven't delivered what I asked for in the last five to six months. They only called to ask when you are going to make payments rudely and to freshly ask you if you want to renew a service that hasn't even been rendered. I've made my payments as agreed on a different date and they still haven't changed our agreement in the first place and haven't sent the magazines I asked for in the first place. Always receiving the incorrect magazines, ones that I didn’t even asked for in the first place. Paid over $890 and want to claim every last cent of it. Never, ever in your life do business with this people. Anybody who can tell me how to claim my money? I only paid so my credit couldn’t get bad in the first place.

• Bo
    Bobby and Ronda Jan 19, 2010

My Fiancee and I are going through almost the same situation. The only thing different is that, this is our first payment (January), but our magazines won't be arriving until March. And the n the same company took a second payment for a long distance company that we have called and cancelled. So, my Fiancee called the number that her bank supplied on the debit/charge and it went right back to Viking Magazine, only this time the operator was not as helpful but down right rude, my Fiancee told me.

• Em
    EmmaJames11 Sep 09, 2010

contact the Attorney General in MN and file a complaint. Also with the BBB in MN. This scam has got to stop.
    You the consumer do have power, do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

VIKING MAGAZINE, DIRECT CLEARING, GREAT AMERICAN READER, LLC are all the same company.

harrasment

i have been receiving calls from viking magazine all day long... they even call my work... they are constantly calling about a magazine renewal that i agreed to which IS A LIE and they want to charge me $64.00 dollars a month... ridiculous!!! then one "representative" called and said that there was a complaint from their representative that i was rude and i said no they called my cell being very unprofesional and rude... then yesterday i get a call from them asking me that if i think they should fire the rep that was rude to me!!! crazyyyyy!!!i said leave me alone... they wouldnt leave me alone and the guy kept on telling me that if i didnt keep my so called order that he was going to have to fire the "mean rep" so then he tried to bargain with me telling me that he would only charge me $29.00 dollars a month and if i didnt take it that he was going to fire his rep that had a family and that it was going to be my fault... finaly i told him that i didnt really care if he got fired and he said "have a nice day goodbye" I hope that's the last time i hear from them!!! I'm wondering if there is something i can do because i've been embarrased at my work by this calls 24-7 and i thing that something should be done regardign this matter!!! this are the phone numbers that they called from...[protected]
[protected]...

Resolved Late withdrawls and refusal to cancel

I called the company and left email notice that I had not way to pay them last month because my daughter died in another part of the state and I had to pay to transfer the body back home. They still insisted that I pay them. I set up to make higher payments to be withdrawn on the first of this month. The money was not requested until the second resulting in an over draft of my account. They are refuse to return my money nor will they allow me to cancel.
I was also told that I had to cancel the service within 15 days of service activation, only after i tryed to cancel it with in that first month.

Resolved Scam - Strong-Arm Tactics

I've read complaints already posted on this site about these sharks, and have the same horrible experiences.
Just yesterday, a friend I know only by blogging and e-mail sends me a note telling me to call her, that it was important.
"D" tells me she'd received TWO messages on HER CELL PHONE to have me call them FOR A REFUND. This company refused to cancel back in August, 2008, even after I explained I was on permanent disability and just released from the hospital. I also receive random magazines I NEVER ordered, never saw the few I was suckered in to subscribe to with the notion that they were something like $5.00 each for 2 years.
I AM BLOWN AWAY AT THEIR AUDACITY TO CALL MY FRIEND! I don't know HOW they got her cell phone number. As another consumer said on this site, the "refund scam" is a lure to call in so they can tack on additional monies to collect.
Due to long standing health issues, my credit is bad already, but for those who have something to protect, I would perhaps suggest doing what I'm planning to do: get in touch with the NYC area media "problem solver" reporters and try to get this company as much "Bad Publicity" as they deserve and then some.
THEY ARE ###!

• Re
    rebecca damron Apr 02, 2009

i totally agree with thembeing a scam. i have beenbutchered for 4 months by these people. they call my home phone and leve threatening abusive messages. i have had it. they want me to pay, but i told tem to cancel it. id like to know hoe to get rid of them for good

• Ru
    Rusty Schmick Feb 26, 2011

I subscribe to Viking Magazine Service's titles and I know that when you agree to the service they tell you in their little schpeal that you can't cancel because they prepay the whole length of your service or something like that. Its quite rediculous, but it is a financial commitment and it definitely goes to show that you should NEVER EVER EVER EVER give your credit or bank info or ANY kind of financial information over the phone.

Resolved cancellation

this is the second complaint i have written about this company. they try to say i didn't cancel before the deadline when i knew i did. i got a different debit card so they couldn't rob me anymore. they called my work and boyfriend saying that they made a mistake and owed me money. when i called them back they stated that i still owed them money and that my account is delinquent. F that! this is such a SCAM!!! they only try to get money out of you!!! for anyone and everyone who thinks about getting in business with this company..DO NOT!! it will only cause you stress time and money. it is not worth it. now i have to pay a few grand in attorneys because they are being ###s. but i guarantee when everything is all said and done it will be worth it. i hope this helps.

• Ri
    rick scott Feb 14, 2009

same thing happend to me 1000 shoping got cell n some how hit my debit 2499 they will regret that one my laywer is on a roa found them ther cservice lady hung up on me hell stop them get my 2499 back hate to be them now hope they read ths this wend

Resolved cancellation Policy

Viking Magazine Service called to offer me a subscription plan to a few magazines. Generally, I never respond...