Having problems with USAA?

1800 531 8722 (Customer Service)
+1 210 531 8722 (Customer Service)
+1 800 472 8722 (Individual Retirement Accounts)
+1 877 899 6325 (Trust Services)
+1 800 258 4060 (Real Estate Rewards Network Assistance)
+1 800 531 8555 (Roadside Assistance)
+1 888 452 7754 (Auto Glass Repair & Replacement)
+1 877 314 2255 (Financial Planning)
+1 800 292 8294 (Survivor Relations Team)
+1 210 456 6310 (Accessibility)
9800 Fredericksburg Road
San Antonio, Texas
USAA Federal Savings Bank
10750 McDermott Freeway, San Antonio, TX 78288-9876

USAA Investment Management Company
P.O. Box 659453, San Antonio, TX 78265-9825

Complaints & Reviews

Resolved incorrect reporting to credit bureaus

April 1999 we got a car loan thru USAA. The payment were directly deducted from our USAA checking account every month by USAA. June 2002 we opened a checking account with a local bank and USAA started deducting the loan payemnts from that account - No problem!!! then in September 2002 Chapter 13 bankruptcy was filed and USAA was notified. The car loan was current and USAA continued to deduct the payment from our checking account. In December 2002 USAA reported the loan as 3 months past due!!! Needless to say, we proved to the court that the loan was current.
The loan was paid off in April 2004. USAA has been reporting this loan as a charged off bad debt since May 2003 ansd as 3 month past due. USAA refuses to correct this on the credit report and it will stay on there till May 2013. We are now reopening the Chapter 13 only to get this corrected.

Resolved bad faith

June 30, 2009

Official complaint

To all concerned,

Usaa insurance company is basically a military endorsed company who enjoys profits to the tune of 40 to 50 million dollars. Usaa insurance company takes monthly and quarterly premiums, have no serious oversight to regulate them, put families in financial ruins, conduct business strictly on bad faith, withhold pertinent information from homeowners, place families at risk by exposing them to toxic black mold for a year and a half all to save money.

They have been amoral, allowed personal feelings to overrule professionalism, interfered with the safety of my family by disclosing personal information to companies and telling the companies not to come to my home to repair or conduct certain actions because they will not pay. They have exclusions in their policies that allow them to take money from consumers and pay the least amount of money and use the term mitigate to absolve themselves of any responsibility.

My complaint is that usaa had knowledge for a year and a half that my roof and atrium leaked when my home was hit by a tornado in early 2008. They with held this report and told me it was internal documentation not privy to the homeowner. As a result, usaa made a conscious decision to withhold this information for a year in a half. This decision caused me and my son great illnesses. Mushrooms were growing out of our wall from behind the wall paper which is what alerted us to the toxic black mold (In february 2009). We were hit by tornados and bad weather for three consecutive weeks and water damage consumed my entire home in february and march 2009).

However, for a year and a half that we lived in our home, we were breathing 15 toxic molds (Which is now at a rate of 356, 973 count/m3 for 15 different molds) in my home and I have been told to vacate. I have had severe medical problems as a result. I want to know who is going to hold usaa accountable for their actions. I had a right to know. I should have been afforded the opportunity to have access to that report, since I didn’t, my home has got to be gutted or condemned. My money went into repairs; I will have three households to support, the mortgage, my spouse apartment in augusta and a place for me to live.

Now I find that amongst the other medical problems, I have an ovarian cyst. I have loss my hair; broke out in rashes, extreme fatigue, vomiting, red eyes, passing out inside my home, and swollen feet, medications have stop working, and etc. My pet has been hurt because by the time I finished following all of usaa’s representatives instructions, I have been living on exposed concrete floors and in substandard conditions by following usaa representative instructions. They are not omnipotent and do not have the right to play god with people’s lives. I get to pay them thousands of dollars for a non-functioning insurance policy.

Who gives them the right to decide that just because they want high quarterly earnings and profit, that they can just with hold reports that endangers my family’ life for a buck. Because as ms. Lindsay dillon, adjustor for usaa, [protected] ext. 44738) says, if we pay every claim, we would not have any money. I don’t want to hear, the contract is not flawed and is in their favor and I just need to move on with my life as teresa raymond, public relations has told me [protected]) and mike cox, director of claims [protected]) has told me.

I was purposely due to bad faith left in this house so they would not have to repair a roof (wear or tear or marring, this house was remolded when I used my veteran’s certificate to buy it and it is not the original as they claim of 35 years) or atrium. If I had the appropriate information, I would have repaired it myself. Who will tell them that withholding information is wrong? Just because they think they can does not make it right. Their behavior have been at a minimum certainly amoral with bad faith with clauses strategically placed in sub-sections of a contract and they get millions of dollars to cover our homes and autos in which if condemned the fannie mae has to cover the substantial loss. They took away my right to repair my home, by giving me erroneous information, intentionally misguiding me, thwarted efforts of repairs, and I trusted them.

Incidents
A. The first flood happened in early 2008 of last year. Adjusters for the insurance company usaa could not find the source of the problem and provided me with faulty information therefore not leading to the proper repairs that could have been taken by my family.
B. The adjuster stated the home flooded from torrential rains that came from the street and seeped underground and up through the concrete slab therefore flooding the home. The home has an atrium and the adjustor did not inform me that the atrium was or could be a problem. For approximately two inches around the atrium on three of its sides were dry and the water had completely flooded the foyer which is located in the front of the home. The damage was in the middle of the carpeted floors. The adjuster checked the roof and did not inform me that the roof could be another source of the flooding of the home or any wear or tear of the roof. There were water spots on the wall and that is what the insurance company paid for (Wet spots on the wall). No report was ever forwarded to me. He also did not tell where the water could be coming from. Information I received was stated verbally over the phone during several conversations with usaa representatives. There was no crack in the foundation of our home when it was checked at that time.
C. Equipment was bought to dry vac to clean up the water and the areas on the walls repaired.
D. During the february 28, 2009 flood, our house was flooded on three different occasions for three consecutive weeks. On the first occasion of 2009, a new adjustor came out and reported to me that the roof on the home was the original roof and that the insurance would not pay for the repair of the original roof. The adjustor stated the roof was 35 years old. First the house was remolded when we moved in and there are parts on my roof that were not available 35 years ago.
E. Unlike the adjustor who stated the roof were unstable, erosion had been occurring before we moved into the home. I take issue with that because my home was inspected by the va because I used my va certificate to buy this home. Also, what did he aspect after several tornados in 2008 and 2009. The last time I checked, tornados and severe weather storms does damage. The adjustor also stated the carpet had water damage and the insurance company would only pay for the cleaning of the carpet. The outside fence was damaged and usaa depreciated the cost of the fence and would repair that. However, the adjustor did not put the carpet on the report and I called lindsay dillon, of usaa and reported after conversations that the carpet was also damaged. Miss dillon stated she would send the adjustor back out.
2. During the second week, we were flood before the same adjustor came back out. Before the initial flooding, our yard men cleaned off the roof and gutters to include the atrium. Also during this storm, it began to rain inside of the house. The furniture was damaged and the floor soaked.
A. The usaa representative stated to me when I immediately had the problem and called into usaa, to pull all the padding up from under the floor that was wet throughout the home and leave the padding outside of the home to show the adjustor.
B. I complied although I have not been working due to the fact that I am waiting to have three surgeries at one time. (My spouse is stationed and lives in augusta georgia therefore incurring expenses for two households). On the second visit from the adjustor, he found leaves in the gutter of the atrium and on the roof which occurred from the second storm.
C. More damaged from the second storm, the nails that were in the gutters of the atrium were ripped from the wooden foundation that kept the gutters intact. The rain came too fast for the atrium to drain all the water incurred that came from the rains into the house via the atrium and roof.
D. Again, I complied with all instructions, cleaned as much water as possible over the week end and awaited appointments for companies to be scheduled to come to look at the home for repairs that usaa stated they would not pay for. Also, during the waiting period, usaa representatives told me I should have went on the roof and place plastic over the roof during the rain and tact back up the gutters during the storm. I could not do those task due to the dangerous conditions because of the bad rain and had no knowledge of how or what to look for on the roof, nor had the ability handle the gutters alone.
E. During the third week, the house was flooded again and damaged the complete house with the exception of the three back bedrooms. Professionals’ final showed up, some came and others did not make their appointment. Usaa initially called service pro the third time and first gave permission to tarp the house and then pulled permission to tarp the house by a supervisor named marta, because we had disagreed on who would pay for the tarp. The house was finally tarped in the area where there was no damaged; the three back bedrooms. I complained and was told to tarp the rest of the house with plastic from home depot and that I was responsible for all the damage and if usaa paid every claim they would not have any money, per lindsay dillon.
F. I was also told to pull up the carpet and move all the furniture, if I did not comply, I would be responsible and liable to pay for my own belongings, in which usaa didn’t pay anyways, however, following their instructions has left me worst off.
G. There is no carpeting throughout the house except in the back of the home and part of the front where mold is highly concentrated along with the master bedroom (Where I sleep each night) and there is furniture and other items which were damaged such as televisions, wooden tables, and entertainment center.
3. Usaa will only repair the fence. The atrium gutters and wood have to be repaired and the boarders around the windows of the atrium. Every day I find something new wrong cited by the contractors from the tornados.
Situation:

1. It is mandatory as homeowners to have insurance. Our choice after being lied to and manipulated by our previous insurance company, we decided to go with the military endorsed company usaa.in short, usaa withheld documentation from the first water damage that we had in early, 2008. Teresa raymond, usaa public relations informed me that usaa had knowledge during the first incident that we had a leaky roof; the atrium was a problem, and a crack in the foundation of the home. Usaa’s policy is not to be released to the homeowners because it is not their responsibility to tell homeowners how to maintain their homes. This information was with held and I was told that the water leaks on the ceiling were from air condensation from the air conditioner in 2008. We looked for a crack in the foundation and could not find it. The adjustor sent to our home said it was a crack in the foundation and mentioned nothing about the roof or atrium.
2. I have been fighting with usaa since february 2009. They did not disclose the 2008 report which would have allowed me the opportunity to fix the roof, the atrium, and possible find the crack in the floor because we were not able to find it at that time, because it was none. That is an act of bad faith and a violation of the right to know law and negligence among other violations committed by usaa.

3. As the alleged number one insurance company in the u. S., it was predictable for them and foreseeable that a leaky roof and atrium would produce mold in the walls and throughout the house. However, for a year in a half, usaa made a conscious decision not to disclose this information so they would not have to repair a roof. As each tornado and bad storm came, I would call into their office terrified and horrified that my roof would collapse on me and my family, crying on the phone for them to help us. As usual, they ignored my pleas for help. Furthermore, because they did not release information that they knew could affect our health, my family has lived in a house full of black toxic mold which has affected me and my son medically.

4. Medically : my medications have stopped working since I have been in this home, which is why I believe I have to have surgery from living continuous black toxic mold. I have no place to go. The mold is so toxic, I have had to move stay at hotels to give my body a break from the mold and excessive vomiting.

A. Symptomlogy: medication is no longer effective. Uncontrollable coughing and choking, and frequent headaches. I have had respiratory problems, bronchitis twice, fevers, and treated for pneumonia. My hair has fallen out up to two inches, unexplainable rashes, extreme fatigue and passing out while in the home. Swollen feet, red eyes, vomiting, memory problems. I found out within the last two months that I now have an ovarian cyst and my thyroid is four times its normal level. Currently, more tests have now has to be run.

5. How is it that I pay them thousands of dollars a year to protect my home and yet they get to avoid over $60, 000 of work, because they didn’t want to pay $11, 000 dollars during the first tornado in 2008, all they had to do is tell me what the problem was and send me a report. Not only did they with hold this information purposely, willingly, and with malice, but thwarted efforts for me to repair my home by disclosing personal information they had no right to disclose to companies, financially they had cost us more than we ever thought it would cost.

6. Furthermore, my son and I have been breathing this putrid air for over a year and a half. Medically, I have to have surgery and have been turned downed by three surgeons to include military surgeons because no one can figure out what is wrong me. The other two surgeries cannot happen until they know what the third problem is. The only reason why I believe I have to have to first two surgeries is because my medication has been become ineffective. Even if I did have surgery, there is nowhere for me to recoup. The only thing that is not affected by mold is the attic. All the walls are wet and have to be gutted from the floor to the ceiling, treated for mold. Usaa is an amoral, greedy, and doesn’t deserve to be in business. What kind of company does this to people? Usaa! I want them to live up to their agreement, repair my home, replace my belongings, and be dealt with by governing agencies.

Remedies:

Respectfully submitted again,

Kim anderson

• Sh
    Sheeyah Jul 03, 2009

Well, you could sue them.

• Sw
    sw33th3art Aug 05, 2009

Someone else is living my USAA nightmare? We made a claim in 2008 for water damage coming from the roof and they wrongly advised us to repair a balcony. We complied and the next big storm proved water was coming from the roof when water was flowing through light fixtures and ceiling fans. We have been instructed by USAA to get numerous inspections and this has been dragging on for four months now. Mold has begun to grow in our home and our family is sick. We have been spending half the time in hotels to avoid the stench and bad air in our home. Our policy covers funds to maintain our standard of living in case of loss. We haven't received a penny.

Dante6666 Nov 04, 2009

WELL LET ME JOIN THE NIGHTMARE. USAA is a JOKE. They need more regulation. I have been screwed financially in both auto and home claims. They are the worst, ever. Any company would be better.

• 4k
    4kidzparent Feb 01, 2010

USAA used to be a really great company until they became so big they forgot about taking care of their people! Their inter-office communication is beyond lacking and they need a major overhaul before I would do anymore business with them. I had a loss to my home in 2006 and I have everything with them: mortgage, home equity, car payment, car insurance, and credit card. I was a single Mom out of my home for 2 years and 3 months with 4 kids in tow because of the loss. They obliviously covered the loss but only gave me 23K for a 2 thousand SF colonial (first & second floor). They didn't cover mechanicals even though my policy said it was covered and they didn't want to work with me at all. My parents and I ended up taking a second mortgage out on the house to be able to move back in. I then asked them if they would combine my first and second mortgage and they said no because of my credit card. I was unable to pay the full monthly payment on my credit card during the loss, but made sure I paid each month online (what I could afford) and I told them what was going on. They in turn shut off my online access so I was unable to pay my credit card payment via the internet. I called them and told them they were covering my loss & that I spoke to them about my payment and them shutting off the online access, but did not get anywhere..wasn't surprised. I have had multiple conversations with multiple agents about each of my accounts with nothing but error & problems. The recent being them taking two payments (double dipping) out of my account and screwing up my bank account. They reimbursed me and said I could take some time before making the payment to straighten out my account and then they reported me late on my credit report. It was their fault (against the law) false reporting. They assured me it wouldn't go to my credit because it was their error. All I can say is Consumer BEWARE!! I'm now fighting with them to get that late payment off my credit and will hopefully be able to move my remaining accounts I have with them somewhere else!!

• Fo
    formerinsuranceadjuster Mar 24, 2010

So your home had a leak due to an old roof? I'm trying to understand the original cause of loss. How did you originally get a leak? And what report would they not show you? the inspectors?

• Pd
    P.D. Rush Mar 01, 2011

In 2008 my former fiance changed our homeowners insurance to USAA. I had enjoyed an excellent rapport with my former homeowners company - N.J. Manufacturers - for many years. My former fiance told me that USAA was "the absolute best" only insuring U.S. Military (and that means??????). Well, a claim was filed for a pipe that burst upstairs, causing my ceiling downstairs to collapse and all the collateral damage (floors, furniture). That was 18 months ago. I had to go out and buy furniture and THEN mail them receipts. They were supposed to replace my carpeting which was a wool blend that had cost over $1800 with "similar quality". They put in stuff that is unwinding and when an examiner came out to examine it, they said it was from "the dog". Well, the funny part is that "the dog" had only been with me a matter of weeks and the claim had been filed for the poor quality replacement carpet months before (he is a 5 year old rescue, not a puppy, and definitely not a cat that may scratch at carpet). They took months to get the work done. They never replaced a lithograph painting that was my Aunt's because they "c ould not place value on it". In July of last year when the policy was renewed, the cost went up by 60% - from ONE claim. It is abhorrant.

vaguelyambiguous Mar 23, 2011

We are having a very similar issue with USAA taking the cheap way out. Utilizing Paul Davis Restoration for some "unknown" reason. Those reasons I can only assume to be that there is an arrangement between this negligent and incompetent general contractor where USAA sends them work if they give them the lowest possible estimate for repairs. If you have USAA, NEVER USE THEIR NETWORK PROVIDERS!!! Get your own water mitigation team and general contractor and request an inspection to be done every step of the way. We had a water-loss (pipe broke in upstairs kitchen) 6 months ago...and USAA delays every step of the way, unless if it's Paul Davis Restoration doing the work then they just approve everything within minutes. However, it has been almost 6 months now and our house still has been restored. This is why USAA insurance is so damn cheap. You pay for what you get. As a side-note, if you secured your mortgage through US Bank and have USAA as your home insurer, you might want to change one of them...since US Bank is basically a different department of USAA which would be a conflict of interest as to who pays for damages when something happens and whether or not your mortgage company will have your back legally, if it comes to that.

vaguelyambiguous Mar 23, 2011

File a complaint with the insurance bureau and attorney general for your state. The insurance bureau is required to be appended to your home owners insurance or fire blanket policy. It's usually towards the end. Make sure you site everything including dates. I'm putting together an ambiguous blog, due to the possibility of being sued for lible. Even though it may be completely truthful, I wouldn't put it past USAA or any of their "network providers" to file a law suit against someone knowing they probably don't have enough money for appropriate legal costs to fight it. I will also be linking this site to the blog, maybe after it seems we have enough people for a class action law suit against USAA...we'll take'm to the bank.

• Ta
    Tampa Homeowner Apr 27, 2011

Dont feel like the lone rangers. We have a different insrace company an when our house burne dow they recommend Paul Davis Restoation as their "Preferred Service Provider". Butin our case it wasn't a low ball rstmte they maxed out our policy limit. They this this by charging our policy $15, 595 for a $7, 600 screened lanai and charging us 5900 sf of roofin for a 5300 sf roof. All approved by the adjuster for their peferred provider. Not to mention that the work fail to meet the building code. Since we moved back in we have discovered over 100 code violation such as cut trusses, wrong hurricane straps, and wrong ceiling board just to name a few. It would seem that all the "preferred service" program are ripoffs and designed to line the pockets of the insurance companies and the preferred vendor buddies.

• Ba
    badfaith, kim Jun 03, 2011

This is Kim who wrote bad faith, I posted answers to some of your responses just today under home owners insurance/warranty about USAA just to keep everyone up to date. So check that section out, home owners insurance/warranty. It has a email address and information for those who would like to try and get a class action lawsuit going against USAA. HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU!

• Ba
    badfaith, kim Jun 03, 2011

On July 3rd, 2009, I filed a complaint about USAA home owners insurance. I have not been on line to comment or to answer any questions that others have posted for me. To formerinsurancedjuster: I can only tell you of my experience. My home had been inspected by different insurance adjusters from USAA. The last adjustor after previous adjustors (who never told me) was the one who told me about the roof after there had been several storms and tornados over the years I lived there. To why the other adjustors did not tell me, is a question to them. However, when I talked to Teresa Raymond, Public Relations (1(210)282-1823, I'm not sure that's the same number for her), she was the one after the last adjustor and only adjustor, told me about the roof and she said that that information was internal documentation and that it "was privy" to USAA only and that they do not tell home owners how to maintain their home, they just tell them what they will and will not pay for. When she told me that the roof had been the source of the leaks and they had known that since the first adjustor came to our home over a year and a half ago when this started, it became quite apparent that what the other adjustors told me and what they filed with USAA was two different things. I was out raged. I asked her how can they not tell me what they found the first time around so repairs could have been made. However, they said nothing but to get over it and to move on with my life. None of the insurance adjustors as I recall gave me any paperwork, all information was verbal. As with the representatives, all instructions were verbal. There is a debate to rather the roof was as old as they claimed, I have had several different roofing companies at that time come to the house and they all said that the roof was not as old as USSA said it was (35 years old), and materials that was on my was not 35 years old and no roof would last that long. You see in Georgia, up until recently, roofers did not have to file for a permit with the city to repair your roof, and if it is not filed with the city then it appears that no work has ever been done according to their records. My home had been completely remolded and done by licensed contractors and approved by VA before we could even buy the home.
    As to the origins of this horrific ordeal, I had said previously that we had had many bad storms and tornados in my area, which will cause damage and then some. They were never up front and wanted to save money at my family's expense. So, I am suing.
    It is about the principle and because my spouse is still military, we have relocated. USAA attorney's scheduled a deposition for me in November 2010. After I spent money on tickets and was in Georgia, the USAA attorneys canceled. While there, because my immune system had been so affected by the mold, I caught a serious cold and became very ill after being in Georgia for only three days. My respiratory system started to shut down on me. I flew back home very ill and had to go to the hospital and was admitted immediately because I could not breathe. I am on two different inhalers, one with steroids, and have to take medications and precautions everyday due to the deterioration of my health. A simple cold will affect my breathing and left unattended my respitory problem becomes unreal. My breathing becomes shallow, my chest tightens up, I can't get enough air into my lungs, and I gasp for air to talk. My doctors just told me that my respitory problem is not under control and different actions have to be taken such as a nebulizer to expand my lungs when I'm not getting enough air. Going outside for six hours leaves me with a mild cold and then I have to stay in the house and nurse myself back to health. My husband when I'm sick stays up at nights to ensure I'm breathing, then he has to go to work and put in 15 or more hours at work as a SGM, and I know that he is tired and I worry about him. Who would have thought that mold can change your life and family's life forever. Each year I get older, the weaker my immune system becomes. My son who is young has had to be rushed to the hospital via ambulance for unknown origin of fever. So please provide me with some information to why they would not give me a report, why they would not inform me when they got the initial report in which they said was the roof, and why they kept telling me different things was the cause of why the house was flooding? We dumped a great deal of our own money chasing different adjustors’ ideas with what was wrong with the house. From air conditioning, to buying equipment they suggested, to plumbers, and replacing piping because it was thought it would help. So please give me some insight. Because I just don't understand why USAA did what they did or why? I did report them at the time to the insurance commissioner's office. However, they are pro insurance and the consumer's voice is never heard unless you scream at the top of your lungs, which I find very difficult to do due to shortness of breath. They never got back to me since I filed.

SO I SAY TO YOU ALL WHO HAVE DEALT WITH USAA OR DIFFERENT INSURANCE COMPANIES AND HAVE HAD SERIOUS SITUATIONS SUCH AS MINE DON'T END UP LIKE ME. FORCE THE ISSUE; GET IT IN WRITING, TAKE DOWN NAMES, PHONE NUMBERS, AND DATES AND TIMES CONVERSATIONS TAKE PLACE. THEY ARE LIKE ANY OTHER BUSINESS; THEIR PRESENCE HERE IS TO MAKE MONEY AND PROFIT, NO MATTER THE CONSEQUENCES. I'M NOT SAYING THAT ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE BAD, BECAUSE EVERY COMPANY HAS THEIR COMPLAINTS. ALSO, HAD I NOT DOCUMENTED, GOT NAMES AND NUMBERS AND CONVERSATIONS DOWN, I WOULD NOT HAVE ANYTHING FOR MY ATTORNEYS TO FILE SUIT. BE CAREFUL; PROTECT YOUR FAMILY, YOUR HEALTH, AND YOUR ASSETS, ESPECIALLY YOUR CHILDREN; BECAUSE WE STILL DO NOT KNOW ALL THE LONG TERM SIDE AFFECTS THAT MY SON WILL CONTINUE TO EXPERIENCE THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE BECAUSE WE LIVED WITH MOLD INFESTING OUR HOME SO LONG. HE'S WHAT IS IMPORTANT, THE DAMAGE TO MY RESPITORY SYSTEM IS UNDESPUTED; MY CONCERN IS MY SON AND THE ACCOUNTABILITY THAT USAA HAS TO HIM IN THE FUTURE, HENCE THE LAWSUIT. I ALREADY KNOW MY HEALTH IS HORRIB LE AND POSSIBLE THAT LIFE SPAN HAS BEEN CUT SHORT AND THERE IS NOTHING THAT I CAN DO ABOUT IT, I'VE ACCEPTED IT AND NOW HAVE TO ENSURE MY SON IS TAKEN CARE OF. JUST LIKE THAT, USAA CHANGED MY LIFE BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO PAY A CLAIM AND BE HONEST. HAD I NOT BEEN SO TRUSTING AND BELIEVED THAT USAA HAD ME AND MY FAMILY'S BE INTEREST AT HEART, AND FOLLOWED ALL THEIR INSTRUCTIONS EACH TIME WITHOUT QUESTIONS, I WOULD BE HEALTHY, NO EMERGENCY ROOM VISITS, CONSULTATIONS WITH DOCTORS OVER MY BREATHING PROBLEMS AND MY SON WOULDN'T HAVE SIDE EFFECTS. LET ME BE THE CAUTIONARY TALE TO QUESTION, ALWAYS QUESTIONS!

I SEE MY ATTORNEYS IN TWO WEEKS, AND I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARDS TO FLYING, OR EXPOSING MYSELF TO A DIFFENT CLIMATE CHANGE THAT CAN MAKE ME ILL, IT'S A RISK TO MY HEALTH, BUT IF I DON'T GO AND FACE USAA, THEY WIN AND THEY HAVE NO ACCOUNTABILITY AND THEY GET TO DO THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO, I'M GOING TO RISK MY HEALTH AND PRAY I DON'T HAVE SEVERE RESPITORY PROBLEMS WHILE AWAY OR UP IN THE AIR ON A PLANE WHERE I CAN’T GET ANY HELP. BUT WHILE I'M THERE, IF ANYONE WANTS ME TO GIVE THEIR NAME AND INFORMATION TO MY ATTORNEYS AND IF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IS POSSIBLE, I WILL GIVE THEM TTHE INFORMATION AND IF THEY HAVE ENOUGH PEOPLE, THEY MAY CONSIDER DOING IT, I DON'T KNOW, BUT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. I CAN'T GUARENTEE IT, BUT NONE OF US HAVE ANYTHING TO LOSE. THERE IS MORE STRENGTH IN NUMBERS THAN STANDING ALONE. YOU MAY CONTACT ME AT [email protected] reference USAA Class Action, Name, Phone Number or email, Situation, and I will pass it on to them to see if they want it or if they can do it. Signing off AND GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, AND AGAIN, BE CAREFUL. THERE ARE PREDITORS OUT THERE. KIM.

• Je
    Jeff Meyer Oct 07, 2011

I've worked with USAA over 20 years and they are hands down the best large company out there. Never a problem with any of their products or employees. Reading through these complaints it is obvious that the writers are not the most astute individuals with zero since of personal responsibility and no clue about how to deal with a company.

Their stories are unfortunate, but the accusations are ridiculous to the point of being absurd. For instance, blaming USAA for telling them the wrong location of the leak. USAA is not a home repair business. They are insurance, banking, investment company. Please people get a clue.

• 25
    25 Year USAA Veteran Nov 03, 2011

Jeff,
    Have you ever had to file a complaint with USAA over the past 20 yrs? I bank with them, have auto insurance and homeowners ins. (on 2 houses) through them, purchased both of my houses through them, an equity loan AND my husband's a Navy Veteran. In 25 yrs of being a loyal customer (and referring others to them), I have placed 1 claim with them (homeowners) upon which they wanted to drop me. I had to BEG them to keep me, agreeing to up my deductible by double and drop my sump pump insurance. I now need them again and they are refusing to cover my rotting roof (due to the "perils" of snow and ice build up). All I can say to you is that I'm glad you're happy and I hope you never actually "need" to file a claim with them. BTW, I am a well-educated (4 yr college degree), middle class, American who trusts that when we pay good hard earned $ for a product a company should stand behind said product, and insurance IS a product.

• Ub
    ubetj Nov 23, 2011

I've always said the best way to make these people or companies pay attention is to hit them where it hurts, THEIR WALLETS. If every policy holder they have were to threaten to change insurance companies at the same time what do you suppose would happen? They're not going to take the first 10 callers seriously or even the first 10, 000 but multiply the next 10, 000 by the next 10, 000 and see how fast they start picking up the phones next time you call with a problem. Think about it, would you much rather pay a few dollars in late fees or keep getting the same crappie service. Who knows you might even find an another insurance that you are really comfortable with and not one that waves the old RED, WHITE and BLUE in your face. How many of you have noticed that that seems to be the trick of the day now to sucker in clients and once they know they have you in so deep you can't see your way out, amnisa sets in and they can only remember what's in the fine print of their policy and not what you could swear came out of their mouth.

• Ub
    ubetj Nov 23, 2011

Hey Jeff, you wrote 8 sentences, and in those 8 sentences you demonstrated to everyone the garbage attitude that your policy holders have to deal with. Reading your 8 sentences I'm willing to bet that you were hoping your boss was going to walk into work the next day, pat you on the back and hand you a raise. Have you ever seen the movie "The Secert Life of Walter Mitty"?

vaguelyambiguous Mar 09, 2012

Declare your independence from USAA, if you currently have USAA insurance, schedule today as the day to change insurance carriers. Low rates are one thing, but if you don't anything for it, what's the point. You're just giving someone your money for nothing. You might as well just start giving that money to your local church and donating it. At least then you'd get something out of it.

USAA has several class-action law suits against them as well as many other policy holders who just don't have the money to file a law suit. You can still file a contingency based law-suit, if you can fine an attorney who is confident enough to win a case against a large insurance agency.

You can file a complaint with the NAIC and the state insurance bureau. If they receive enough complaints they will take action and may file a class-action lawsuit for everyone with the same issue within your state.

USAA demonstrates a tenacity to low-ball estimates and not pay what they should if anything at all. USAA is doing the same thing the insurance companies did when hurricanes hit Florida and Louisiana. Before you decide to ignore this message or any of the others before it, ask yourself if you are confident that USAA will pay your insurance claim or find a way around it. Considering all of the other posts regarding it...evidence quite clearly says they won't. Once a thief, always a thief. If they've done it to others, they'll do it to you too.

I've had USAA for over a decade and have had to file an auto claim and 2 home insurance claims in that time. The first when I was first starting to drive and hit an unmarked pothole, USAA declined to cover the damage to my vehicle stating it wasn't covered within the policy. I had full-coverage. In the past 2 years, we've had to file 2 home insurance claims on a home we purchased and had to PCS away from and have since rented out. Both instances, USAA has done nothing but cause delays. Our claims rep, Felicia Leggett is by far the worst. She seeks out whatever is in the best interest of USAA. Her manager, Terry Sauve is no different. She has requested 4 inspections to get the lowest possible estimate. And don't even get me started on Paul Davis Restoration, their go to contractor. They will give you the lowest possible estimate and do the least amount of work possible. it might look repaired, but it isn't. That probably goes for any other "preferred network provider" of USAA. Don't use them. On our previous claim, Paul Davis was brought in and only estimated $12, 000+ for the job. After they failed to do anything the 30 days following the removal of the water mitigation equipment, we chose our own contractor. This estimate came to almost $30, 000. USAA then wanted to bring in another adjustor, so I requested a 3rd party independent adjustor, IAS. Their estimate was pretty close to $30, 000. So that begs to ask whether or not USAA is doing anything morally or ethically right.

We are a military family, and I don't believe for a second that USAA's interests are to support military families. USAA's interests are greed and the bottom dollar. If you don't believe me, simply wait until you have to file a claim yourself. If you decide to stick with USAA, be forewarned and at the very least record every conversation and keep a record of every correspondence including dates.

USAA is highly noted for their UNFAIR TRADE PRACTICES and BAD FAITH.

Declare your independence form USAA today, or declare your stupidity.

• Ho
    HollyHuney Mar 25, 2012

OMG ... you all live my nightmare too!!! I thought I was all alone. I have been trying to get my home repaired since Jan 28, 2011. We ended up finding 3 types of toxic mold in the air and surfaces of our home. They sent us a contractor (ARS, Springfield, MA) that screwed with us for months then sent a sub-contractor. We questioned why the sub-contractor was taking "short cuts". Was told that ARS told them to. Had a meeting with David (adjustor at ARS - USAA just used his report instead of sending their own adjustor). David informed us that he "made a mimstake on the proposal and weren't going to do that." (with a check of $19, 277.00 sitting on his desk) WHAT?!?!?! BREACH OF CONTRACT!! Contacted USAA told them what happened and the idiot on the phone asked me "Well, what do you want to do?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I told them I wanted them out of my house immediately. It just goes on and on. I have gotten so ill the my heart has been affected, my lungs, memory, etc. Found out not only are we living with 3 types of toxic mold but I'm ALLERGIC to mold!! Had to move me, my husband, our FIVE children and our large husky into my mother's 2 bedroom mobile home. Oh yeah! Been here since Jan 26, 2012. Unbelievable! We have an attorney but he is dragging his feet getting some 93A letters to ARS and USAA demanding settlement or something like that.

keep raising rates and coverages

I bought my home in 2004 and paid $700.00 for a year of home insurance. 2005 paid $800.00. 2006 paid $850.00...

Resolved low balling on claims

Have been a good customer for 8yrs, my car was taken out by someone, not my fault. It didn't look that...

Resolved unauthorized billing

We became USAA customers in 1998 and after a short while had our auto insurance, banking and renter's insurance with them. In the 7+ years we had the renter's policy we made 4 small claims totaling less than $2500 (wind damage on 2 occasions, for the 3rd our cat trashed the wallpaper in a hallway, #4 our dog scratched the mailman).

Shortly after the last claim (totaling about $150) we received a letter from one of USAA's underwriters stating our policy was being canceled due to 'frequency of claims'. We protested and even had the support of the company's own consumer advocate in San Antonio. Even she couldn't convince these greedy souls to reinstate our policy even though they still made money off of us in spite of the claims.

Later, after we received yet another letter stating that our efforts were in vain, we received a call from a USAA underwriter in Frankfurt, Germany (our coverage area- we're with the DoD), saying he felt that our claims frequency was not unusual especially considering the small amounts of each claim. He said he would state our case for us to his superiors. He too was shot down by USAA's senior leadership. I filed a complaint with the BBB, but guess what? USAA is a big supporter of the BBB! Nada. I even asked that our complaint be shown to the CEO of the company. Apparently this happened, but we heard nothing else from them.

Our policy was paid through Feb '09 and USAA cut it off as of April 1st '08(April fool's USAA customers!). We were finally forced to get a policy with Geico (who doesn't use your claims frequency against you). We have 2 checking accounts, a savings account and 2 credit cards with USAA AND have 4 cars insured with them. Do they look at the whole customer concept? Apparently not. It finally took on a Bailey Savings and Loan Vs. Mr Potter feel after a while. Goodbye Bedford Falls, hello Potterville!

Resolved unfair practices and attitudes

This is one of the worst banks I have ever dealt with. I have accounts linked to my accounts at usaa. I went to make a normal transfer and they froze my accounts. I have no access to my acounts and this is the account that has all of my direct deposits going in. I've called numerous times and the only answer they give me is until further notice my accounts are frozen. This is so ridiculous. They froze my account and will not do anything about it or tell me anything. I'm under investigation for moving my own money around! Ridiculous! Do not bank with them!

ga1111 Sep 17, 2009

Agreed you risk USAA taking money from your other accounts. I would never again Link accounts to USAA. They just recently froze and stole $600.00 from our bank account. We will be closing all USAA accounts

ga1111 Sep 17, 2009

If you have a charge off with USAA be careful. They will take any money you have in the bank from your USAA accounts. Withdraw your money asap!

kimbra1991 Mar 02, 2010

When I married my husband (an active duty soldier) I had noticed that he has USAA and I had never heard of the bank until we got together. After a while I would notice that we would not go anywhere or do anything and money would just disappear from our checking account. I got a platinum credit card through them and I had went over the balance by $.72 and they wanted to charge us A dollar for every penny that I went over. FOUR days ago when my husband got paid we paid the other half of our rent which came up to $402. The money had came out of the checking account because we always check after we buy something or pay something off. Well a few days later we got a call from our apartment manager saying we was behind on our rent and we told her that we paid it and she said the payment said we had insufficient funds..which is NOT possible considering that was the first thing we did when we got paid. So we thought it was a mishap with the bank so we called them and they also said we had insufficient funds and that there was nothing they could do about it. Therfore we had to make an extra payment to be able to stay in our aparment. This bank has so many problems and I keep advising my husband to get a new bank and I think he is now seeing how horrible this bank is.

kimbra1991 Mar 02, 2010

Every time my husband gets paid I encourage him to immediatley withdrawl all of the money so they cant take anything out.

kimbra1991 Mar 02, 2010

Also my husband got back from a tour in Iraq in August and just a few months ago we had a couple hundred dollars come out of our account and when we called the bank they said it was from Iraq and Kuwait from July?? Granted they did refund the money but the problem is that we have a thing set up to where they have to call and ask us before they take money out for those things.

Resolved terrible treatment

My husband was deployed in 2008 and I was left here to attend to our 2 kids and the finances. Shortly after he left I became ill, was hospitalized, and unable to work. To make a long story short, I wasn't able to pay my USAA credit card bill on time and this went on for a while. My mother came to live with us and she let them know what was going on but their collections agents just woulndt stop. Finally my father (a lawyer) wrote them a letter to get them to stop.

When I got better and financially on my feet I called USAA to pay the credit card bill. During my down time a lot of fees had been racked up and I asked them, since there was nothing I could do, if they would waive them. They said sure we will do that and let you settle the amount due. I paid what they asked and thought everything would go back to normal.

After I paid they still sent me letters and called all the time. I would explain that I thought all this is over and then they would say, "Oh yeah you're right sorry. We'll fix this in the computer" and then it would happen all over again. Finally I got them to stop with another letter from dad.

Well now they are still taking this out on me. They won't let me do any online banking and they demand I pay the fees. Every time I call FOR ANYTHING I have to go through this whole thing with the customer service rep. Why did they tell me I didn't have to pay them in the first place then? To make things worse they are doing something to my credit report every month and trying to ruin my credit over this. Things are already BAD ENOUGH. My father said that I should have talked to him and demanded that we get an agreement in writing because they will be dishonest if you don't. But I never thought they would treat service members' families like this. We are supposed to be the people they are here for. I guess they are more concerned about making money than the military and their families.

Resolved overcharged

I have been a member of USAA for over 10 years and until now I haven't had many problems with them. Recently, because of medical bills, credit card debt, and helping other people when I shouldn't have, etc. I had to file bankruptcy. I said I had, because after all the consumer counseling, etc. People weren't paying me back and I no longer could live on such an amount that was set after counseling.

I had car insurance, checking, savings, life insurance, renters insurance, car insurance, my car loan, a credit card, and an IRA with USAA. Like I said, until now I had absolutely no problem using their services.

Two months after I filed bankruptcy, the trouble began. First the car loan went and the credit card followed closely behind it. Then access to my checking account and savings account was denied. I am so confused at the moment, because I REAFFIRMED all of USAA debts. I was fine with my car payment, my credit card payments, and my insurance payments. It wasn't those payments that was hurting me, it was everything else. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS COMPANY! I reaffirmed everything, that means that I am willing to keep this debt and continue to make payments. All of my calls to customer service have been unproductive. Their only response is that I filed bankruptcy. I'm like, where is my money and why don't I have access to my accounts even though I reaffirmed everything from USAA. I wrote them a letter and even sent them another copy of my bankruptcy petition showing my debt there reaffirmed.

Now, I see if I'd added the credit card, car, or something to the bankruptcy. That would be different. But I agreed to keep every thing from them.

I didn't try to sucker out and have their credit card written off. I make my payments in which I can't anymore because that access is also gone. I'm just stuck with no options right now. You know how hard it is to stop and change ALL direct deposits and have them sent to another account. Uncle Sam doesn't like changes and makes you pay for them by waiting even longer. I don't think this is a fair practice to anyone who have received this from them. I almost got put out of my apartment because they rejected a darn check to the only account I used up until recently. It might be a month or more before the money will start flowing into my other accounts. I am in a very bad situation.

BEWARE. Filing bankruptcy and being a nearly exclusive member of USAA will cost you.. and cost you dearly. I still don't know what to do. They are just as protected by the feds as AAFES is, so I say this as a person who is in a very bad situation. Withdraw all your funds, change over all insurance to other companies, etc if you ever plan on filing bankruptcy and you are a member of this company. I was very loyal to this company and making sure everything was in good standings with them. I do not deserve this.

Dare ot differ Jul 15, 2009

We filed Chapter 13 in 2002 - at the time we had a carloan with USAA since early 1999, never late since USAA deducted the payment from our checking account every month! A credit card from USAA, however, was included in the Chapter 13. In 2oo2 it was not mandated to reaffirm the loan and since we had never been late and intended to continue paying as agreed our attorney said it was not necessary to reaffirm. We did not reaffirm our mortgage or our other carloan thru Ford - never late on those either. Very much to our surprise we found out that USAA filed a claim with the court saying we were 3 months late!! That claim was thrown out since we could prove that we were never late. Fast forward to now - USAA continues to report the loan as 'discharged as a bad debt" in 2003 when we in fact continued to pay as agreed till 2004 when the car was paid off and we received the title!!! USAA claims we only paid 37 months of the 60 months required. All this shows up on our credit report!!! We have tried to get this resolved but USAA's bankruptcy department claims the have EVERY right to report whatever they feel is correct!!! We are now in the process of taking USAA to court to get this resolved!! Also - since filing Ch 13 we have seen our car and homeowner's insurance triple - USAA says we are a high risk, yet we never had ANY clams but USAA again states they are within their rights. Complaints have been filed with our attorney general who has taken a great interst in this matter.
    We have been USAA members for 30 years!!! Needless to say, we are now looking to get insurance with other companies. It will be interesting to see if we get the almost $6, 000 in our subscriber's savings account. That is probably another lawsuit waiting to happen!!!

• Us
    usaahelp Sep 15, 2009

My husband and I have a similar problem. We filed bankruptcy in June 2006, paid all USAA debts except for a USAA credit card that was rolled into the bankruptcy. We offered to pull it out of the bankruptcy, but was told by USAA that the repercussions would be the same. We too have lost our online access, 3.5 years after the bankruptcy mind you. It seems like they randomly punish you for the bankruptcy. Right away my husband lost online access, but mine remained open (I avoid talking to them becuase I don't want them to take it away), then recently, they decided to disable my ability to download my transactions into Quicken, but I still have online access. We have never bounced a check or even been overdrawn on our account. We have had this account for 11 years and my husband has been a member for 27 years!

I understand never giving us a credit card again. I even understand not letting me open any new accounts, but how they can get away with limiting a checking and savings account in good standing?

I have asked for a copy of their bankruptcy policy so that I can be informed about how our access and services would be limited. Every time I get a different story, but never anything in writing since it is an "internal policy that they don't have to share". Today I was told that all our access would be restored after 7 years. I sure would like to see in writing what their practices are... I don't believe anything they say about this because it depends on the person you speak with.

JaneyJaney Dec 16, 2009

As a single mother abandoned by my army chaplain husband and slandered by him to try to protect his reputation and job, I was left with no funds and had to support myself and my child in a location remote from where I'd worked and known people. I got cancer and due to the travel cost, I faced a choice between being homeless with a child during cancer treatment or filing chapter 13 bankruptcy. I filed, and on and off USAA has cut off online access to my bank accounts and insurance policies.

I just got an email telling me to view new online documents. I went to logon, and I was just on there recently paying my insurance bill early, but it immediately logged me off and gave me a message that I had declared bankruptcy and that they could not collect debts. This is old news---3.5 years old. I had even wanted to keep my USAA debt and keep paying, but my attorney told me it was illegal to pick and choose which debts to pay. They said I had to finish the bankruptcy and then I could go ahead and pay whatever debts I wanted to if I could. So, I did not single out USAA for payment but instead am just focusing on recovering my life after cancer treatment and subsequent serious accident and a related job loss.

In the past, I have gotten mixed results depending on who I talked to. This time, the screen after they logged me off (without letting me view or access anything) said to click on "proceed" to view my accounts. That just took me to mobile.usaa.com. Why would I have to go there to view my accounts? I'm not even using the checking accounts but am paying my USAA insurance bills through another credit union.

So, why are they doing this all the sudden, and for what purpose? All it does is inhibit me from easily paying my USAA bill. Are they trying to dump me? Did I call for roadside assistance one too many times? Did they see that I was recently late on a medical bill that was reported on my credit report when I was out of work and injured (and unable to work due to a severe injury)?

I have been on hold long enough to try several ways to log on, read several complaint web sites that have complaints about USAA treatment of clients who have declared bankruptcy, and write this complaint. Still, there is no sign of my call being answered anytime soon.

In the past, other than these incidents which are spaced far apart, I have had no problem with USAA other than one rare bad USAA customer service call. All the other calls have been good to great. I will say that sometimes if one person gets all bent out of shape and says you can't do anything because you once had a bankruptcy, call another department with your question and don't mention the bankruptcy, or call back and talk to another person on another day.

These people do not explain their actions, and it seems to really have no relationship to common sense. If they have a problem with me, they should tell me. I think that they are bound by regulations not to harass people who have been awarded bankruptcy protection, but they are harassing them anyway by not allowing access to their own accounts, not explaining why or when they are doing this, and making it extremely difficult to get through to anyone who can speak to the matter.

I am very disappointed that USAA, an otherwise excellent institution, is continuing to engage in these disturbing practices. My ex-husband, the abusive, lying pastor whose Ph.D. was paid for by the US Army with my tax dollars even after he lied to the IRS and took my tax refund needed for basic survival expenses and who also lied to the Pentagon in writing to avoid paying temporary spousal support after he abandoned us on a highway while moving from Fort Lewis to Fort Benning around Mothers Day 2002, is still surely a strong member of USAA. It's almost as though the values on which USAA was supposed to be founded are giving way to the good old boy/girl system of underground methods, intimidation and stonewalling.

[email protected] Jul 03, 2012

I was a USAA member for 15 years but after I went bankrupt they treat me like a second class citizen! No online access. Closed my checking and savings. When will they stop punishing people for going through a difficult time?

• Pi
    Pissedoff123141541 Apr 07, 2014

Car Insurance, Have Liability. Was paying $45/mo for 1 Car and we just added a another for the same plan. Was Told my bill would be $90/mo and my First bill was $250... Explain that

Resolved terrible company

We have been members in USAA and insured with them for over 14 years. A tornado 'totaled' our 2003 33' 5th wheel RV on May 10, 2008. The RV was 'fully' insured with USAA and we carried a $500.00 comprehensive deductible. The policy clearly states USAA's definition of 'Actual cash value' for a total loss as follows:

'the amount that it would cost, at the time of loss, to buy a comparable vehicle. As applied to your covered auto, a comparable vehicle is one of the same make, model, model year, body stype, and options with substantially similar mileage and physical condition.'

(NO BRAINER!)

After speaking with a USAA rep, we got online, googled up some comparable RV's. We were able to locate only two for sale nationwide at the time of our loss. The one in California had already been sold (for over $25, 000) by the time we called. The other RV is located in Arizona and after 3 separate phone conversations with that dealer, we were able to deal down to a price of $23, 500.

To me, that IS the fair market value of our RV. We would like to be reimbursed for that amount and since we live in Missouri, apply that amount towards a newer model available locally. USAA, however, had other ideas regarding the 'fair market value'. According to them, using CCC Valuescope, our RV should only be worth around $13, 000. Coincidently, (I'm sure) our remaining loan amount (at USAA) is slightly over (you guessed it) $13, 000!!

USAA claimed they had located some comparable for our RV and provided us a list of examples. When we researched the RV's they used for comparison, we found each one to be at least 5 feet shorter than ours and they also contained fewer options than our RV.

After considerable negotiations and pleading our case with various adjusters and supervisors at USAA, they finalized their evaluation of our RV to be $17, 746, which is still way below what it will take to replace our exact RV. That would, in effect, turn our $500 deductible into a $5, 754 deductible. Then, too, we would be out several hundred dollars worth of travel expense to go pick up the replacement RV.

In our opinion, USAA insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on.

We have canceled our remaining auto policies with USAA. We are currently instigating other financial options that will allow us to pay off the existing loans for other auto's or motorcycles we currently have with USAA. And we will find another credit card company to accept the balance of our USAA card. In the future, USAA will not receive any of our banking, credit card, or insurance business. Furthermore, even if we live to be 100, we will never pass on an opportunity to provide negative word-of-mouth for USAA accordingly.

When the chips are down, good insurance companies shine. USAA does not shine. They only strive to cheat people for the almighty buck.

• In
    IngH54 Nov 11, 2009

If you are looking for good customer service and fast claim service, do NOT call USAA. They never anwser their phones and won't call you back and it takes 3 days for them to anwser their emails. Our truck was hit over 6 weeks ago and we still don't have the money! They offered us $2500 dollars below blue book value and refuse to even talk to us! They have now posted the dollar amount that they are paying us and it is $200 dollars short from the amount they said we would get. Unless you enjoy being screwed over, look for a different company.

• Tr
    TrueGrit Jan 24, 2010

USAA has led their customers to believe they are special because they supposedly cater to military members. Don't be fooled! They are just as corrupt as any other financial institution. Military members, open your eyes and pay attention to the many complaints regarding USAA and be wary. Many people don't pay attention to complaints lodged against companies until they get screwed and they just accept it. I don't! Lodging online complaints is a good way to fight back against many unscrupulous companies including USAA. Complaints serve to dispel the self-imposed good name this company and others bestow upon themselves.
    I have been a USAA customer for almost 10 years now and I have seen the customer service and reliability of USAA go down the toilet. I have lost confidence and trust in this company as a result of bad experiences which began several years ago and have continued to get worse.
    Don't be fooled to think that USAA is some exclusive organization because their customers are primarily military.
    Think about it, what is USAA doing special for military members? They take your auto and home insurance premiums happily but when it comes to paying on claims they lie, cheat and steal like most other insurance companies and don't want to pay. Their customer service representatives are becoming rude and are uninformed just like most other companies customer service representatives. I have personally experienced bad and unpleasant experiences with USAA within the last couple of years and because of even worse experiences with other financial institutions, I am relegated to stay with USAA. I remain with USAA because for me, they have become the best of the worst. However, I am still very disgusted and displeased with USAA and this is my way of fighting back.

• Qu
    Que Importa Apr 10, 2011

Do you even know the deffinition of ACV? ACV=Replacement cost - Depreciation.

Replacement cost= RC, not ACV!

Also, "fully covered"= liability+ Comp/Coll. That doesnt mean "everything under the stars"

Resolved overcharged

USAA holds the second mortgage on what used to be my primary residence, but I have relocated out of state since September, and I have been late with my payment since . The reason for this is because my job relocated me to another state, and my former home has been with on the market since May of 2008. At the moment, I am attempting to do a short sale. I logged into my account yesterday to find out someone from USAA had personally taken it upon themselves to withdraw funds to apply to the payment without my prior authorization, or court orders, and I feel much violated.

To top things, I don't know how I am going to pay for childcare and groceries. I want to see some corrective action.

MadinUtah Mar 05, 2009

I signed up with Talent Hunter.com BEFORE I did my research. I paid $149.99 so I could sign my daugther up for 6 months. I thought I was getting a good deal becuase I recieved an email from an "agent" saying that they would be interested in my daughter for a commerical that was being shot in my area (my daughter's pic wasnt even posted at the time, should had be alert number 1). I complained to Paypal and my bank that this company was a fraud.

Too make a long story short, these people WILL NOT respond to any of your requests about cancellations and refunds because they dont have too! My bank (USAA) will not dispute Paypal, told me that they were untouchable. I disputed with Paypal and my claim was denied. I complained with the Better Business Buearu, still pending but Im sure that my money is gone.

People do your research please. I feel so stupid becuase I cant even get my daughters pics to even load up on their website. SO I got screwed with no protection at all! MAN!!!

• Gs
    gsdowner Aug 09, 2009

What is interesting is that MadinUtah was still trying to upload the picture to the website even knowing it was a fraud.

Paypal is a jerk off. Although it is nice to have to protect your real bank accounts, it is also sometimes a hassle.

The scammers know this and so does paypal. There is no negotications with electronic goods, for my example, per paypal rules. If you buy something online, such as a website, software, or anything of the like, they will not allow you to dispute it. This means that people are able to create something fake, sell it to you, and then you can not dispute it. If they are in another country, it is harder to pin point them as well if you want to work outside of paypal. I ordered a bunch of websites that included flash ones, html ones, and some software. The software was a trial version with a "crack" to unlock the software. The websites were ripped off other sites. Some were nice but for the money I paid it wasn't right. I called paypal and they credited my account with the purchase as a "one time" thing. He told me to send the files to paypal so they could review them but I never heard back. Whatever, I made my money back and the scammers made off with theirs. As long as Paypal keeps paying the victims, it will fuel the crimes.

As for the original poster, if you don't make arrangements with your creditors, they will take care of it themselves if the funds are available.

• Do
    Donna0912 Mar 15, 2015

USAA is a horrible bank. Claims to help veterans. I've been a member over 11years. They have taken money out if my account without my permission for a late car payment & threatened to repossess my vehicle for being late two months. They refused to give me a deferment and made threatening calls constantly. Please, if you're thinkinking of banking with USAA, beware they WILL NOT work with you regardless of your circumstances. The worst bank to do business with.

Resolved terrible experience

I am insured by USAA and was hit by underinsured driver while stopped at a light. As a result of the...

Resolved horrible mortgage servicing

I have been a member of USAA since 1953, so I never thought I would be complaining about them. I refinanced...

Resolved harrassment, threats

My community college attending daughter was in a fender bender in her car (registered to me) and I thought we were insured. Due to some technicality that I'm still trying to figure out, Allstate says that we were not covered on the date of her accident. USAA sent me a bill for the $8, 000+ they said they paid to their client (for a broken head light?), followed the next week by harrassing calls from their collection agent, Mary Tomio at Insurex Inc. Mary threatened that if I don't pay the entire $8, 000 my own car license and registration will be revoked, wages garnished, etc. She offered no option for a payment plan, and didn't care that I'm appealing Allstate's decision. My complaint is against Allstate (I've been a customer for 33 years but can't say that "I'm in good hands"); USAA and their collection agency Insurex, and against the insurance industry as a whole. Why do we pay extra for uninsured/underinsured motorist on our insurance premium if they then turn around and collect/harrass/threaten anyone that they can for any amount that they have had to pay out? Meanwhile, the former CEO of Allstate (who is now CEO of AIG) was paid $17 million a year!

Joe Pissed Off Oct 28, 2010

I totally agree with this post. I had a similar situation with my insurance company and Insurex was the collection agent. I have never been treated so rudely my entire life and it was not just by one of the employees it was a number of them. Insurex reminds me of a modern day 3rd. Reich, an absolutely HORRIBLE group of people!!!

Resolved unfair collection practices

USAA bank is a military only insurance and bank. They specialize in taking advantage of our military members. I have a HELOC or second mortgage on a home in Arkansas. The home has dropped in value 100k and I am unable to sell, rent, or give away. USAA put me on their automated computer system that calls at random as early as 0655 a.m. and as late as 0900 p.m. They even called December 24th at 0800 pm. with their automate system that asks you to hold and then it hangs up because no one was available to receive this call. When the bank calls the caller ID shows unknown caller and they do not identify them selves until they have who they are looking for on line. I wrote letter requesting them not to call so early or use their automated system and their rep told my during my last call that they did have to abide by the fair collection act.

• Dh
    Dharma Feb 14, 2009

I have been a USAA member for over 25 years, my husband recenty lost his job and we fell behind in 1 of our 7 accounts with them. They have us on auto-dialer and call at least 8 times a day. The phone rings and there is no one on the other end--I waited 2.5 minutes yesterday to speak to someone and then it hung up. A half hour later, I spoke to someone. Then, later that evening I received two more calls. Shocked that this is one of the big companies that specializes in military lending. They do NOT follow the law. I don't even want to get into the predatory lending practices. Encouraged no doc loans, including mortgages, that were obtained with the ease of going through McDonald's drivethrough. Very bad turn turn for the worse with this company. I would love to have others post their experiences whatever they are!

Joe May 28, 2009

I've been with them for for about 25+ yrs and have never had any issues. Maybe because I don't spend $$ unless I know I have the cash behind me to pay it off. That's the problem with people today--spend today thinking that no emergencies will ever come up and that a financial institution will bend over for you--no questions asked. It's people like you that result in some of us receiving lower savings/CD yields.

Dante6666 Aug 16, 2009

To the holier than though person that doesn't spend more than they think they can afford...but for the grace of God...and as far as USAA goes, I have had clients bring me tape recordings of USAA saying that because they are not debt collectors and because this is their debt, they don't have to comply with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. They were nasty in the calls I have heard. Not impressed with how they treat these people, who were also members for 25 years before suffering UNEXPECTED setback. Boy, Mr Holier than though, you must be ready for ANYTHING! How about some empathy! I was in the military and had a lot of other military members that I had to deal with who had the same attitude.

• Ha
    hatesheep Sep 07, 2009

JOE ur a Fuking idiot. Typical SHEEP BOY... FOLLOWER and never will take a risk to get ahead. IF TRUMP never took rish do u think he would not be rich and yet he has filed for BK before

• Vt
    vtpka Jul 30, 2013

usaa bank is no way affliated with the military. they are scammers!! they ripped me off for over 7500.00. someone hacked my account and now they wont reimburse me my money! I am like everyone else here by notting getting any responses back from them? this is the worse bank I have ever dealt with in my 61 years!!theysure don't mind ripping off the military personal or the disabled and I am both !

make money with your heloc Nov 05, 2014

Looking to make money with you heloc.and am talking enough to pay all your debt and extra contact me +16464931100 (text only) no service charge no capital required you won't be asked for a penny!.and very simple and easy..Yea text me today and let me blow your mind..only interested people please plus there is a limited space so grab yours while offer last!...No jokes

renter's insurance

"First a bit of background". I moved to San Diego in June of 07' in search of a new life. Upon arriving...

bad service

USAA has pissed me off for the last time! I've been in a couple situations where my mastercard has been put on freeze when certain emergancies had popped up; which by the way USAA doesn't let you know about it unless you go to their website on that certain day which tells you that your credit card might not work for today due to maintainence. I was in New York City at the time trying to pay for my meal at a restaurant and when they ran my card through it popped up declined. I had to run to the nearest ATM to pull out cash using my NASA Federal Credit Union ATM card. While I was doing this, my friend was sitting in the restaurant getting glares from the waiters/manager. That was a very unpleasent night and embarrasing one too. The second was when I was in Basic Military Training for the United States Air Force. While near the end of BMT I had to pay for dry cleaning, which at that time I gave them my Mastercard which popped up declined. That was embarrasing too, my wingman payed for my clothes thank god. I couldn't call them right after because I didn't have patio break/base pass until the next week. When I finally had time to call them. They ended up putting me on hold for at least an hour, which at this time I could be calling my parents to tell them that I'm okay and that I love them. When they finally got through, they told me that they canceled my card due to, "TWO LATE PAYMENTS and going over my limit one time." That one late payment was due to fact I was going through BMT and my dad forgot to take money out of my savings to pay it, which was only late for 2 days. And for me going over my limit; I ended up doing a money transfer from my NASA FED Credit Union to my USAA Credit Card. I ended up going to my NASA Bank that same day and they told me that the checks that I received won't go through for another week due to it being international. I called USAA right away to ask them to cancel the money transfer process and they did NOTHING!!! They told me that they couldn't do it and that I would be hit with a penalty due to it. So now, my USAA Credit Card is canceled by USAA and they damaged my Experian Credit Report. My First Sergeant, even talked to them on behalf of me and they put him on hold for quit awhile and then showed him the disrespect of telling him two different excuses on why they canceled my card. The first operator told him that they just frozed it due to fraud, then the second operator finally told him that they canceled it due to the late payment. Which my First Sergeant said that it doesn't make sense, which they replied with a, "I don't know, I just work here" type of statement and when my first sergeant asked to talk to a superviser they replied that he won't come to the phone now to him being to busy. WTF!

For a Credit Card company saying that they support the military they sure know how to show it. So now I tell all my airmen who are in the dorms with me in Text School not to get USAA because they are a Credit agency that will ### up your credit report, even if you try to explain to them your situation. They just simply don't care and they simply don't care about how many stripes you have or how many years your serving. The basic line that they give you is, "Thank you for serving and sorry to tell you this, but you've been Denied. Good Bye"

This Airmen and other active military personnel aren't getting USAA again and we will be protesting them at our base. I've talked to two Marines that got screwed over by USAA and another Airmen so believe me when I say that Military or Civilian, they don't care. Go with NASA federal Credit Union they're much nicer to to the military. ^_^

MadinUtah Mar 05, 2009

Resolved fraud and cheating

Whilst serving our country in Iraq my son a US Marine found the car of his dreams online. He purchased the car and we took it to him upon his return to Camp Lejuene in Jacksonville, NC. Whilst driving it in Jacksonville he was sideswipped by another person and extensive damage was done to the car. The other party was found at fault by the police and ticketed for the accident. USAA was the insurance company for both parties.

The car was independently valued and declared as a total loss. USAA wants to settle the claim for $5000 less than the car was valued at. They refuse to negotiate. We have contacted lawyers and they basically are not interested in the case as they say it will cost more than the $5000 to collect it from USAA. They advised me USAA knows this and thats why they routinely do this to people.

I find this despicable for a company which claims it was formed by a retired general to assist service men and women with their insurance and banking needs.

• Ve
    very disappointed Mar 23, 2009

I WAS RECENTLY INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT WITH AN USAA CLIENT, I WAS REAR ENDED WHILE STOPPED IN TRAFFIC BY A 17 YEAR OLD.THEY HAVE USAA FOR THEIR INSURANCE.NOW THIS IS WHAT GETS ME I HAD 3 ESTIMATES DONE ON MY TRUCK.ALL OF THEM CAME UP TO OVER 1200 DOLLARS, THEY SENT THEIR APPRAISER OUT TO LOOK AT MY TRUCK, HE TOLD ME THAT THE DAMAGE WAS ONLY WORTH 1055 WHICH WOULD NOT COVER ALL THE DAMAGE TO MY TRUCK, BECAISE NOW MY TAILGATE WILL NOT STAY UP @ALL AND IT WAS WORKING PERFECTLY FINE UNTIL I WAS REAR ENDE, HE SAID IT WASNT RELATED TO THE ACCIDENT, WHICH I KNOW MY TRUCK WAS PERFECTLY FINE AND ON HIS STATEMENT HE WROTE THAT I CLAIMED IT WAS FROM THE ACCIDENT AND IT WAS FROM NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR, SO HOW BASICALLY I WAS CALLED A LIE FROM HIS SO CALLED EXPERT OPINION, WHEN I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT IIT WAS DAMAGED FROM THE ACCIDENT, AND I HAVE THREE ESTIMATES AND PEOPLE THAT BE WITH ME AND AROUND ME WHO KNOWS THAT MY TRUCK WAS JUST FINE. USSA IS NOT A GOOD COMPANY @ ALL THEY ARE SO FULL OF IT AND GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND ON EVERYTHING, SO IF YOU CANT GET WHAT YOU NEED FROM THE COMPANY, YOU HAVE TO GO AFTER THE PERSON THAT HIT YOU.

• Up
    UPSETUSAA Feb 02, 2010

I have to admit that I could go and on about how I totally agree that USAA is about the WORST Insurance Company that I have had to deal with in years. I was rear ended while waiting to turn left- by a USSA client a Year ago. Her fault, no problem- since then.. fraud on the part of the adjustor (I acutally have it in writing).. had a time about the car.. Now, they are trying to stall on the Medical. So, it is time for court. They don't even want to even discuss negotiation- they named a ridiculously LOW figure for months of pain & doctor's visits - and putting up with their run arounds. So, in the end- may have to go after the Driver.

• Fo
    formerinsuranceadjuster Mar 24, 2010

A car's value is different then it's ACV. We all know that as soon as we drive a car off the lot it loses value. Car's arent like homes.

• Mr
    mr.goode May 21, 2010

i am a bodyshop owner in ga . a car was refered to me by a towing compony at which time the claiment called to let usaa were the car would be located, at which time the adjuster for usaatold the claiment that my company (the bodyshop). did not warrenty our work whitch is false we warranty everything we do ! i guess my problem is im tired of dealing with the uneducated adjusters stering customers to certin shops . insurance comp. shouldnt be connected to any shop. were in america and everyone has the right to workout a livin

credit line

I had been a loyal customer of USAA. Last month I cancelled my car insurance, of 20 years . I had moved to another State and gave the car to my daughter. I stated that when we did purchase another vehicle it would be up to my (husband to be) who he wanted to go with. He has been with his insurance company for 30+ years. I was told for a fee that they could hold my account open so I could get the same rate. We know that is not the truth. Another person told me, because of my great rating that I would be taken back. I have never ever been late with my car insurance or any other payments. Yesterday in the mail I get a letter stating because of my credit history they took my credit line from $13, 500 to $5, 200.

#1 Never have I had my card to my limit
#2 I never asked to have my limit raised it was done because of my credit history
#3 I have not used this card in over 10 months
#4 Some time this past summer I sent in $3, 000 payment. I have no minimal payment due but I send in a good amount each month.

My limit was taken down, for one reason only!!! I cancelled my car insurance with you. I don't need this card nor did I ever need a $13, 500 on my credit line. You people are nothing but a scam. Over the years I have gotten people to go with USAA, I will now tell people my story and call the ones who still have business with you, including my family. My dad has been with USAA for a life time. He is 88 and still living and still is with you. I will get him switched.

• Me
    Merle Gilbert Nov 22, 2008

I've been reading more and more complaints about USAA, and one conclusion that I can come to is that they have taken a nosedive in terms of quality and service over the last few years. I've been a loyal customer for 10 years with home and auto loans, insurance, credit cards, and banking accounts. Three months ago, I received a mailer from USAA for a credit card offer, with a good fixed interest rate and an introductory interest rate of 0.0% on convenience checks for 12 months. My wife and I decided to finish off some home improvement projects and use the checks, while paying the balance off and not accruing any interest. Three months later, the economy has crashed, numerous USAA investment funds have lost up to 50% of their value, and mysteriously my credit card terms have changed. I don't have the original mailer, but do have the confirmation number written down, but (and this is the kicker) USAA says that number is not a valid confirmation number for a credit card application. This was, of course, not mentioned during the application process over the phone. I was also just told today that USAA doesn't offer credit cards with fixed rates, also a lie because the previous card I had with them did have a fixed rate. If anyone else has received a similar offer, please respond on this board, I don't believe that this was an isolated incident.

• Hy
    hydropro42 Dec 08, 2009

Please report this to the BBB

Resolved terrible place

I've been a member of USAA for quite some time, and over the years I've had nothing but praise for this financial institution. Regrettably, due to some financial restraints on my part, one of my credit accounts went into delinquency. While this is completely my fault and I'm in the process of trying to resolve, USAA has since blocked all on-line access to ALL of my accounts.

As I'm in the process of resolving this, I now have no access to online deposits, and they discontinued with next day deposits with UPS, nor can I accurately maintain my other accounts within USAA and pay bills accordingly or even deposit funds in a timely manner to pay the outstanding debt in question.

I admit, I was in the wrong with my delinquency, and although I'm trying to resolve, by not providing any access to my other accounts, (and apparently other people have the same problem) this is the set-up of an absolute financial meltdown for those with multiple accounts with this organization.

Astonishingly, even the Texas Banking Commission was surprised to hear my story.

• Cr
    crystal Dec 04, 2008

I HATE THIS BANK MY HUSBAND I WERE SCAMED AND THIS BANK CONTINUED TO LET THE COMPANY STEAL FROM ME AFTER T REPORTED.IM NEGATIVE 1, 200 BECAUSE OF THIS SCAM AND THEY SAY ITS MY FAULT AND THEY CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

• Fe
    fedup48 Aug 24, 2009

Scam? MAn there are some people on here with no sense. Your probably one of those people that blame everyone for your mistakes. What scam? Hoepfully everyone that reads your ridiculous comment has enough of a brain to realize you put not facts, your just mad because YOU messed up and a company followed its procedure.

And if you cause a loss to a company then why should they give you special access? Ive had this happen as well. WIll it not be restored once you pay...

ga1111 Sep 17, 2009

The same thing happened to us. USAA is actually worse than other banks we dealt with. An account was charged off and they froze all money in our USAA Checking. They took $600.00 without even notifying us.
    Now we cannot pay are other USAA bills. Very unreasonable people there and no respect for you. Once you get a charge off you are trash to USAA.
    I will be closing all my checking accounts with USAA. Because if I deposit any money in their they will immediately take it and I will have overdraft fees.
    I suggest you do not deposit money into USAA. Open at a local credit union.

only the bottom line

The whole experience using USAA MoversAvantage and related services has been horrible. We are in the final stages of signing off on a real estate deal using exclusive USAA services and when we are about to finalize the USAA loan and USAA insurance needed to close the deal USAA decides it does not want to insure any more houses in the county the county we put a down payment on a house. (shown to us by the USAA Real Estate agent). This is coming from the company that solicited us to use their Real Estate Relocation Service, use their USAA mortgage Company and their USAA insurance. We really have a feel like USAA is abandoning us on this deal since we put a down payment on the property and are Expats overseas trying to relocate back to the U.S. Now we have to find another mortgage company and insurance company (from overseas)! This is very aggravating to say the least. I guess being loyal to USAA customer over the last 23+ years has no bearing on USAA's decision to leave us hanging like this. I would think most USAA members would be shocked to know that a company they grew to trust, a company who pride themselves to be loyal to it's members and who we exclusively used over the past 23 years for all insurance, banking and investment would treat their members in such a manner. Sometimes company's have to take a look past the $$$ they "might be exposed" to and look at the goodwill and relationships with their customers. USAA has lost allot of Goodwill in this instance and I am very disappointed with their lack of support to us Expats trying to relocate back to the U.S. So if you find yourself in the same situation beware of what USAA promises and do not assume they got your back covered... they are just like all the big insurance companies that look at the bottom line before customer service...

• Fl
    Florida Guy Mar 13, 2009

They have zero loyalty and have gone to a pure "bottom line" attitude. Longstanding relationships mean nothing anymore and they will drop you like a hot potato if you have a problem.

Its a very sad situation for a company founded on principals of loyalty and honor among officers to decline to something more like a local pawn shop (appologies to pawn shops!) or payday loan operation.

Jacqui Apr 17, 2009

They have screwed me too and I couldnt agree with you both more! USAA is only nice when they are going to suck you into becoming a member, everything is a pretty picture until a claim comes along or you call them out for something they did wrong. All of them tell you something different and a lot of the supervisors arent that nice at all. I haven't met one person that has actually had a problem with USAA and USAA actually fix without a But or problem behind it. I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you though USAA should take care of ppl like you...Grrrr they make me so mad