University Of Phoenix Axia Onlinerip off

Hello fellow classmates or victims,

I am another victim of The University of Phoenix Axia Online crap. I should've listen to the victims of Axia College when I had the chance. I would've never though that I would be putting in a complaint about my bad experience with Axia Online. My dream is to pursue my degree with University of Phoenix and graduate and work in my dream job. I had already imagined the day my family would be proud of me when I finish what I had started. Well, those of us that went to University of Phoenix are very familiar with this.

In the beginning everything was going well, until my 3rd block of classes itall when bad. I remember when I started my two classes. My academic counselor brain wash me in doing my best, which I did. I turned in all of my assignments in time and post my attendance for the first week. When my week 1 feedback grade came back, i recieved a 50%. How can I recieve a 50 in my first week while I am turning in my work on time?
Then, I made a phone call to my academic counselor. I explained my situation and he said to keep trying. I tried harder and harder and all I got was a 50 or less. In the end of the course, I got an "F" and recieved no credits. Now, I have to pay $1, 000.00 to University of Phoenix out of my pocket. Don't forget that the prize of any course is extremely high.

University of Phoenix is all a lie, "you liars" all you care about is ripping students off for their hard working money. It is all a business and nothing else, they don't care about anybody but the money. What are you going to do University of Phoenix but to sue me? Is that what ya'll do? Then sue me for the little money I worked for, let, we the people of the United States see what you are going to do to me. What ever happen tto he Constitutional rights "Freedom of speech and expression". The first classes they pass everybody and then fail them. Why? because then student's won't be able to get financial aid assistance for the student's and have to pay full price. My son and wife will not watch me walk because the liars lied to us.

• Ki
    Kimber56 Sep 10, 2017

I was enrolled with Phoenix of Arizona over the phone by a representative he told me that I could pay for all of my school and get a degree through grants . The first thing they did was they started my classes before I even got the money and I told him I have a learning disability so give me math classes last . They did not do that they gave me math before the last classes and I flunked it now I owe them $1500 dollars . I didn't have that kind of money so they dropped me they would not give me my transcripts so I could go to another school that cost way less than what they did I only had 15 credits before I was to get my degree now I have a collection agency's filing negative reports at all three collection agencies, ruining my credit I can't buy anything on credit it has to be cash and the amount showing that I owe is three times the amount of what they gave me and I can't even get a job as a counselor because I don't have my degree . All the stress caused physical damage on my body made me sick for a while. I was reading and seeing other people had the same problems with the school that I did and found that there's a class-action and I'm getting involved with it hopefully we will win and get either our credits transferred so we can finish school or the collections balance at a zero

• John Bass Sep 10, 2017

@Kimber56 First of all... I would correct that it's univ of phoneix, not phoenix of arizona. secondly... I would try and be at least a bit more clear/specific on your issues/concerns with this scam "school".

Regardless - - perhaps the following would serve your purpose, so feel free to cut/past & attempt to dispute your claim:

To whom it may concern:

I do not owe this debt to your agency nor university of phoenix., and I am disputing this (alleged) debt to your agency and to university of phoenix.

Pursuant to the ‘fair debt collection practices act’, section 809 (b), I am concerned of ‘lack of privity’ therefore, I am requesting that your agency provide me with the following items within thirty (30) days: 1.] proof of the debt amount as alleged by university of phoenix.; 2.] proof that your agency is licensed to collect debts in the state of _ ; 3.] proof of my account/payment history with university of phoenix.; 4.] billing statements submitted to me, by university of phoenix.; and 5.] an original, signed university of phoenix.‘financial agreement’, by me.

Upon receipt of this letter, your agency has been legally and rightfully informed that I am asserting my rights under federal and state laws - the ‘fair debt collection practices act’ (fdcpa) and the ‘fair credit reporting act’. additionally, under such legal protection, your agency cannot apply (any) interest or (any) fees except those allowed by state law, whereas, until I am in receipt of such above-specified requested documents, any attempt to collect this (alleged) debt therefore violates the fdcpa.

Further correspondence to me without any of the documents that I have requested here within, by your agency, will be considered harassment, unlawful business practices, and such will be reported as violations of the law within the state of _. any such "negative credit reporting" submitted by your agency regarding my dispute (alleged debt your agency indicates that I owe), will be reported, by me, to my state's attorney general, the federal trade commission, and the better business bureau.

I have disputed this debt; therefore, until it is validated, your agency’s information concerning this debt is to be considered inaccurate, harassment and illegal. furthermore, if your agency has reported this said (alleged) debt to any credit-reporting agency, then your agency must immediately inform any, and all, of my dispute of this (alleged) debt to your agency and/or university of phoenix. I will remind your agency that reporting (any) information known to be inaccurate, incomplete or failing to report information correctly violates the ‘fair credit reporting act’ §1681, s-2.

Sincerely,

_

• He
    HelpingHand143 Jun 09, 2017

I attended UOP online with a 3.67 GPA. On Finals week My uncle was brutally murdered. I had to take time off. When I called the school to ask for an extension they told me "He is not immediate family so no". Heartless individuals, Even told them I could give them the DA's number so they could tell them what was going on. My uncle only had me to bury him and attend the trials of his murderer. I have not gone back to school and now owe 30K on a school loan on education that I cannot even use. I was even told by professionals that I shouldn't even include this schooling on my resume because it could "hurt my chances of getting a job". Anyone have any advise to help me crush this loan burden? I am a single mom making minimum wage just treading water.

• Fu
    FullTimeEverything Oct 11, 2013

I am a current UoP student, I am scheduled to complete my Associates in April. I have had a fairly decent experience. I have had some very dedicated instructors and some that are not as dedicated, but that is simply the luck of the draw, you can not always have the best so you make due when you must. The only complaint that I have that is a true and honest complaint about the University itself is the way the material is set up for you. I took a math class that I was not exactly impressed with as the weekly classwork and the assessments did not line up, the assessments were approximately one to two weeks ahead of the classwork and the AMP system needs some improvement. I am currently in one class that gives us search terms for our assignments, these search terms turn out many papers, most of which are irrelevant to the topic and in this particular class you are expected to use strictly material from the University Library and it is not exactly the type of thing I have time for. This does not mean that the University is bad, yes it could use some improvement but list just one establishment (educational or otherwise) that does not have room for improvement. I have five children, one with special needs, a disabled husband, and a job so reading each of 252 search results is not exactly feasible but it is only my first week in this class so I am sure I will figure out a way to make it work, I always do. For those of you experiencing "extreme difficulty" perhaps you should consider a more traditional education. You cannot fit every person into the same mold and perhaps this type of education is simply not compatible with you as a person, this is why you should do your research and consider taking some free courses (Yale, Harvard, Berkley, and many other Universities offer free online courses, though these do not earn you a degree or certificate, they can help you figure out if long distance learning is right for you). This is why being an INFORMED consumer is always important.

• Su
    sunnimerc Jan 25, 2013

Good God... if your grammar in any way reflects the rest of your subjects, then no wonder you're a failure. By the way, a degree from UOP, is nothing to be proud of..

• Jr
    jronkindy Dec 07, 2012

for those of you who are saying UoP or Axia is NOT a ripoff, take it from someone who got nothing but A's... this place is a freaking JOKE. The instructors are complete idiots. One of my instructors had to have his mommy wake him up (I could hear everything) so he would take my call during his "office hours". STAY AWAY. STAY AWAY. STAY AWAY!! And for any of you ###s who come back with the "you're not college material" ###, I'm more of a success than you'll ever be. Faculty, don't get on here and B.S. these people with how great the place is or how THEY are the problem. NO. It is a total ripoff and a scam. Go to WGU. You will spend far less and the instructors are actual professionals in their field(s) of expertise.

• Dw
    DWeems Dec 07, 2012

I attended Axia College in 2007 and completed my AA in Healthcare Administration in 2009. I experienced many of the issues that are mentioned here. Most of my instructors were decent, but seemed to have difficulties teaching the class with the information provided alone. Most of them were more interactive with students through posts they had done themselves, rather than the discussion questions provided.

My main issues came from dealing with the revolving door of "counselors", all of whom were not actually guidance counselors. All of them were students that had not attended UoP for their Associates, but were attending to obtain a Bachelors. My Financial Aide counselor was impossible to get in touch with . I was getting ready to have my son, and told her I would want to take a block off. She advised me that I would have to pay out of pocket. I was still going to be able to take 12 hours that "quarterr" (defined by Pell Grant dispursement terms" which was considered full time and allowed me to be awarded the full amount. I told the counselor that I was having a surgical birth and that I may not be able to post accurately those two weeks for attendance. She advised me that my instructors would understand and that my advisor would contact them. After the birth, I posted six posts, three on one day, two another, and one on a third day. This was in my third week, and one instructor counted me absent. I did not find out until a week before the term was over. In the same class, I had the same happen the next week. I posted on six total discussion posts, but on a variety of days, due to pain medicaiton that made me incoherrent due to a very dificult surgery. Again, I didn't find out until the end. I attempted to contact my counselor, who I called almost daily for two weeks and emailed as well, before I finally called me other advisor and began CCing him in all of the correspondence I wrote. Finally on the third week she called and pretty much said she didn't remember talking to me. From that point on, I made sure I e-mailed anything I needed to talk to her about to leave a paper trail.

After this occured, I ended up failing the class, after completing the work (I would have dropped it if I had known at that point that I wasn't going to pass, because I had a difficult recovery) due to attendance. My average was actually an "A". So I had to retake the class, with the exact same assignments, re-doing discussion questions and participation. I also had to pay for it out of pocket. I had to take it alone, because of the "setup" of financial aid, as my advisor told me.

Also, I came in with 20 credit hours. I had taken college Algebra, Comp 1 and Comp II, Intro to Art, Public Speaking, and other core classes. I was told that even though I had Comp I and II, that I would have to take the two Intro to Writing/Research clases, because they didn't have the same title. I also had to take the Math 1, even though I had college Algebra and did well. I also had to take the computer class, even though I had taken a class that's required by most states and passed it as well. 16 of my hours were transferred, which was the max for an undergraduate degree, and all were listed as interdisciplinary. Also, when I graduated and went to another college, they did not accept the UoP classes, except as electives, because they did not meet the minimum requirements for my state. I waited a few weeks while my state took the syllabus and disected it, and looked over my assignments to determine that I had met the minimum standards. So, again, I was stuck with a ton of electives that I couldn't use. I had a few friends that had this happen as well.

After graduation, I interviewed at several agencies and businesses here to no avail. I actually talked to a few of the people after my interview to see why, and most of them said they wanted someone with a "real" degree. I ended up becoming a CNA to get my foot in the door at a long term care facility. After being there for a year and applying for positions within administration, the administrator told me he needed someone with an Associates degree, and that I had the skillset and the work ethic they were looking for. He told me that the parent company was looking for someone who attended a "credible" institution, and that they didn't consider the University of Phoenix credible after looking over my transcript and seeing the course titles and the course descriptions online.

UoP has contacted me several times about persuing a bachelors, but I am not interested. Some people may be able to use it and lke the setup, but after the two years that I feel I have wasted, I have decided it's not for me. Plus the tuition for Axia is over double what an in state university in my state costs. I took online classes through my local college after finishing up with UOP and they were set up much better. The assignments were more helpful to what I actually do now, and the grading system and tuition were much better. Also, the instructors are easier to get in touch with, and I had the same counselors the entire time I was there. Also, the courses consisted of more than power points with definitions or basic papers.

• Ha
    halomich Aug 15, 2012

Brainwashed you into trying your best? I hate to tell you, but that might be your problem. You have to be brainwashed into trying your best? Seriously? I am taking Algebra 116 and am not doing very well, but they encourage me to do my best. I would hardly call that brainwashing. I have a week left and it looks like I am going to pass. It can be done and it can be done without having to be brainwashed.

CharlesBlackwell May 01, 2012

Beware "Professor" Frank Mueller! He's the worst of a bad lot. A complete narcissist, he's illogical as the day is long. And always right. A turd among turds.

• Ha
    Happy17 Apr 10, 2012

I am totally surprised that there are so many people who love blaming somebody else and have not taken a look in the mirror. I have been a student of Axia (University of Phoenix) and my grades and classes are everything I thought they would be Tough...I have received the help when needed, but if you set your mind to it then you will succeed. Saying they are all LIARS and just want our money is unbelievable. I am on my last two blocks of my degree and will receive my Assoc. in IT/Web Design in July. With my GPA and grades I have landed a job with a great company and am looking forward to my Bachelors. Maybe all of you haters should maybe suck it up and take the initiative and quit trying to blame somebody or find the easy way out!!!

Sincerely,
    Happy

• Av
    avon46123 Nov 03, 2011

Same there problems. I am finishing week 9 and have had problems since week 1 or 2 with financial stuff. They got me good with lack of information on there part know I have to wait to take classes which is fine. I am writing this to let it be known that there is a bad financial department. google it. There in a law suit right know that may close them, look up public records. There are many other schools to choose from just do your home work first.

• Ro
    roadrunner7 Jun 22, 2011

I got my B.S. from an evening adult college program and my M.S. from Univ of Phoenix Online. I learned much more from my B.S. program than I did in my online M.S. program. If I had it to do all over again, I never would have completed my M.S. through Univ of Phoenix Online. I don't know if all online degrees are worthless or just Univ of Phoenix since I have none to compare to. All I know is that what I learned from my B.S. program stuck with me. What I learned through the UoP online program has long gone.

JohnCox Jun 15, 2011

You get out of it what y9u put into it. Axia has been incredible and have NEVER told me a lie, ripped me off or took my cash. You HAVE to work HARD and STUDY, Participate and do assignments on time. You fail because you are not ready for college or just way too stupid.

JohnCox Jun 15, 2011

Wow. As a student of Axia, I have to say that the instructors, aid assistance and the academic people have been incredible. The work is only easy when you study and your grades reflect your progress. Any one of you babies want some cheese to go with your "whine"? You pass if you do the work and study hard. You MUST participate or you will struggle grade wise and you will not have any fun at school. For those of us that cannot attend traditional classes, we can still EARN a degree and succeed.

• At
    ato308 Jun 08, 2011

U of P is not a real school. Do not waste your money on it. Here's what I do as a freshmen in my first year of school.
    Qd= 30, 000-p
    Qs= 2p-20, 000

Find the equilibrium and graph it. Then suppose that there is a $1.50 tax incentive.
    Formulas to solve it are
    Qd=Qs
    PB=Ps-tax
    Ps=PB+tax

If you school was a good school it wouldn't need commercials

mariag Jun 08, 2011

I am about to finish my last block of classes at UoP-Axia online. I will be receiving my associated degree in Foundation of Business. I have had many problems with the school but I persevered and am hoping for no more bad luck. I think I can accurately say that everyone will have a different experience at this online college. The college does seem to be money hungry and very different from other online colleges, but to each his own!!DUCES!!! I know people will disagree with my post, but who gives a knats [censored]?

sahill1234 Apr 16, 2011

I am a student at UoP. All I have to say, is that if you failed the first class you took at Uop, than you truly do not belong in college. This is because one of the first classes that you take, is the Introduction to the UoP. Come on, how in the world can you fail this class? Basically, what I am say is grow up and act your age, not your shoe size.

Jodi Gorres Mar 18, 2011

I am in my first year, fourth block at Axia and I am very impressed with the courses. Each teacher has a syllabus that outlines the expectations for the class and all of the assignment rules. I currently have a 4.0 GPA and I've worked my butt off to obtain that. It was not handed to me, but rather earned. My financial councilors have been great as well as my guidance counselor. I was in a pickle and they helped me work through it. They did not want to see me fail nor did they shove me under a rug like some of these postings would suggest. Why does the younger generation feel that they are owed an education? God handed you a brain with the capacity to learn, but it sounds like all you have learned to this point is to complain until you get your way. Shameful!

• Ed
    Eddies Mom Mar 03, 2011

I submitted my final early and didn't think to recheck my forum. A week later I was informed that my final was never submitted and I failed that class. Now my advisors are telling me that I can not complete any more classes until I pay them $1095 out of my pocket. There was some technical issues that I believe they should have considered before failing me but that is water under the bridge. My issue is this..Why, since I am paying for this out of my own pocket, can I not just retake this class at the end of my term instead of interupting my current schedule? They are trying to tell me that the loan company will not disburse any more money until I pay this. I don't understand, the money was already paid to the school from my last disbursement, so that class was paid for regardless of whether I received a passing grade. I am going to contact nelnet and have them explain this to me as my advisors have been nothing but sarcastic and rude. I will finish my degree but will not continue with Axia online for any future educational gains.

• 13
    130IQMan Jan 21, 2011

I also attend UoP/Axia and have not ever had this or anything similar happen to me so far. I am in my sixth class block, GPA of 3.9. The classes are mostly really easy and the instructors are mostly very talkative during the discussion questions, though some do take a while to respond to question in the IF. I have only had one seriously crap instructor during my Algorithms class (majoring in IT with specialization programming; aa and ba).

I have to agree that the financial aid system is not too great, it took me quite a while to get my latest f. aid to go through because forms I was never told to fill out. But I do think you should not base what you want to do as far as collage goes with UoP, based on only my opinion and the original post by the author. We are only two people out of 500, 000 attending UoP/Axia.

• Di
    Diane McCleary Jan 17, 2011

I am attending this school and it is true they rip you off and never can explain where your money is but yet they can explain how much it cost out of your pocket. I am out of there in june and will never recommend this school to no one not even an animal would want to attend this school. In the end they do not help with jobs only if you want to work for them and ripping others off. I can not stand the the University of Phoenix they truly suck rip offs rip offs rip offs warning do not attend.

• Na
    Nat Reader Dec 15, 2010

"I have just one question. If a teacher gives an assignment that is accompanied with a rubik, does the teachers grading of that assignment need to follow the parameters set forth by the rubik?"

First it is rubric with a "c". Spelling is a part of the grade.
    The instructor will grade the requirements that are in the rubric. Some bullet points are general, such as completed the requirements of the question. At this point you will be graded on what was written within the assignment against what the instructor knows is the best answer. Assignment rubrics are created by the school and instructors can alter them. I try to ensure that everything I grade is within the rubric.

• Na
    Nat Reader Dec 15, 2010

College is what you make of it. I have three college degrees, including a teaching degree. I work professionally in the area that I instruct for at an online university. Here are some suggestions from watching students over the past 4 years:

1. Dont turn in assignment late or do them at the last minute: Commonly done. How many 11:59 pm have I received? Many! Students call and tell me they were sick on the due date and did not do the assignment. That is why there are 7 days in a week.
    2. Do not plagiarize. I can find the same resources as you and you will get a 0. I have just about every web copy of my class assignments and know that EVERY class will have 2 students that turn in that web version thinking I have never seen it.
    3. Don't cry for help on the last day that the assignment is due in the evening because that is the first time you have looked at it. And then your question is "I dont get it". Be specific in yuor help questions.
    4. Dont ask for help and include in your request...""I have not finished the reading"
    5. If it says APA, it means APA. APA is not a one paragraph paper that does not meet any of the assignments requirements. Learn APA
    6. Participate in class. Yes it can be worth 10% of your grade many times and yet some students still get a zero week after week for participation and wonder why their grade ends up so low.
    7. Do not dissapear for a week or two and then expect the instructor to catch you up
    8. Do not expect the instructor to walk you through the assignment to the answer. That is unfair to everyone else in the class.

I have spent many hours on the phone helping students. I am in my class every single day in the morning and more so on Sundays and before finals. Some people are not meant for college, sorry to say, and this is a weeding process. Grades at Axia are pretty basic, so if you are failing, then most likely your work is poorly done. Go get a tutor. That is what brick and mortar students do. But dont expect to pass a class just because it is online. And do not expect the instructor to walk you through every assignment.

• Ne
    nekar Nov 04, 2010

• Ji
    Jimmy Tree Nov 01, 2010

I found a site with solutions for Axia classes if anyone is interested:

www.uopaxiasolutions.com

• Aj
    ajdodgerf Oct 06, 2010

Rip Off,

What the hell, are you really that stupid? If you are unable to complete the EASY education provided by AXIA then you should probably go back to your local elementary school and restart the last grade you were in before you dropped out. I never opened a book and graduated with a 3.7 GPA. If I was able to do this then you should have been able to at least pass. You need to put the corn dog down and put forth some effort. People like you are the reason that the instructors were giving praises to people like me that actually participated with some intellect. If you cannot figure out what the hell you are doing, then maybe you should become a garbage man where you do not have to think about what you have to do. Just please get off your lazy [censor] and do something other than being a burden on our society.

• Ua
    uautano Sep 28, 2010

I am in my second year with Axia, I have had no problems with passing my courses. I have a GPA of 3.7. It just takes a lot of time, studying, and time management. I work 50 hours a week, and have no weekend life usually, but that is the sacrafice you have to pay in order to have a good future.

• Ro
    rook4u Sep 19, 2010

I have graduated from AXIA college with no problem; however, I do see both sides to the story here. When we look at an on-line environment their are several factors at play here. Yes the site has had issues and up loading takes longer than usual, but AXIA and UOP student log-in page both inform students that 'Monday' is a busy day. When I first started it took me a while to get into a set pattern of doing this on my own.

I lauged at the first complaint on this blog. The syllabus is the hard book for the class if you follow it and do as it says I don't understand how one could not pass. You can email your instructors and ask for help, it may take a few hours or a day for them to respond, but they usually do and provide more than enough information. Their not simply going to give you an answer, your in college its your job to do the research and write the paper.

An on-line environment is not for everyone. If you do not have enough motivation to do this on your own without someone holding your hand then I would not reccomend an on-line college. The convenience of going on line versus having to fight for parking and walking to class is by far really great. Yes it costs more but your going on line remember that. You dont have to have a special scheduale and employers will treat you as if your taking classes on an onground campus...

The only issue I have is I run into those few teachers who seem to not really care and want to hack your grade for whatever reason. If you run into these types, simply copy and paste the communication and what you dont like and forward it to your advisor. This will be forwarded to a leason and the instrcutor will be put under review.

The other issue I have is learning teams, these are geared to help you with your career job working on 'team' projects. It baffles me when a student in the team (their is always one) that simply doesnt do anything and simply agrees to whatever is said.

I am sure if we did this at work our boss would give us a poor evaluation and review. This would be the only thing I do not like about UOP are the learning teams. I am also wondering why doesnt either of these on line colleges have a webinar program for their learning teams. Emailing back and forth and talking on yahoo to accomplish a team project is dumb. This can be accomplished so much quicker with a webinar program built into the on line environment. Heck we are already paying an arm and a leg for this and we are still emailing back and forth ... hmm?

For those of us still with UOP please learn APA! Its irritating when I review information for students and their paragraphs are a mile long. Break those up... images are not centered and their is no title for tables or figures... if you go get the APA pub manual its all in their. For those of you who do not know go to Purdue OWL APA if you want an on-line reference. Dont understand how I am this far in my bachelors degree and some students still write like they are in first grade.

The only other suggestion is if the software is 'recommended' you need it for the class and future classes. See a lot of bachelor level students who do not want to purchase VISIO, Dream Weaver, Adobe Photoshop, and sit their on their assignments and team projects and continously say I dont understand why Im not doing as good as you. Think about it for a minute. The same goes to any instructor readings this from UOP! If it is recommended software and a student asks your a question about it answer their question. You shouldnt be teaching the class if you dont know how to use the software the class recommends!!!

• Me
    metax100 Aug 06, 2010

My complaint is that Sue wanted my son and I to do our Verification Worksheet over again in a new sheet, when she called me on August 4, 2010. Before I sent the new sheet, that Veronica sent to me to feel out new with the correct information I went home the same day, August 4th to have my son sign the other sheets so I didn't have to send it the next day, went back to work on August 4th and faxed it over to the number I was given. I am being very patient with you guys, but I am going to have to get my Lawyer to see if all this signing of these forms like this is legal because i feel this is a scam to get money out of inocent bistandard who are trying to get an education from your college.

• Re
    Recent Graduate Jul 23, 2010

I just graduated with my associates degree from Axia/University of Phoenix. I am 46 years old and have been out of high school for quite some time, although I always received good grades in high school. During my experience at Axia/University of Phoenix, I could usually get an idea of my classmates intelligence and effort through the postings and responses of our DQ's.

Bad spelling and improper use of sentences was a good give away and the lack of posting the required amount of responses or the simple responses of I agree or I disagree also demonstrated the lack of effort being put forth by some. In all of my classes, we had some students as described above and we had the others such as myself, that had a drive to succeed and put forth great effort.

Yes, even though I consider myself smart, sensible, and stable, the classes were not easy classes. I can not think of one class that I would say was easy. There were many days and nights when I was on the computer for 10 or more hours doing research or completing a final exam. Everyone is notified up front when the assignments are due and the importance of managing their time well so points would not be taken off for late assignments. Those who think they will be able to achieve good grades when they are trying to do assignments shortly before they are do, probably will not do so well. I think it all comes down to how serious you are about wanting to learn the material and not just finish the courses to be able to say you have a degree.

Sure, there may be some instructors out there who do not look at closely at the assignments turned in by students and give an undeserved good grade, but my experience at Axia/University of Phoenix was not like that. As a matter of fact, in one of my courses, (can't remember which one) my grade had dropped from an A to a B. I expressed my concern to the instructor (as I am a bit of a perfectionist, and expect all A's) and he assured me that a B is still a good grade. I worked hard and made sure I was completely satisfied that I had done my best work before I turned in my assignments and in the end, when I finally earned my A back, the instructor communicated with me that he had been pulling for me!

The one thing that I learned about college and this is not just about Axia/University of Phoenix but all colleges is it is different from high school where you have a teacher teaching you. At college, you teach yourself by reading and researching. The instructors are there to guide you and give you feedback as to if you are demonstrating that you understand the material or not.

I did not have any issues with my financials at Axia/University of Phoenix. I was not eligible for grants so all of my financing is in the form of student loans. To one of the posters in this forum, it sounds to me as if you may have been under the impression that the "disbursements" would be another source of income for you. That is not how it works. The lender approves X amount of dollars for your education and disburses that amount to the school. The school keeps the amount of the tuition and then sends the remaining funds to you. These funds are part of your loan that will have to be paid back, so it is your decision what you choose to do with those funds. (Spend them or save them to use for when your loans payments become due)

To sum up my post, I will just say "There is no free ride on grades or tuition."

• St
    Stevenx1986x Jul 02, 2010

I'm on track with the first poster, this guy is obviously not college material. Did you notice that as soon as someone disagreed with him, they sprung into a belligerent defense mode. In my opinion your attitude shows your class, and this persons attitude is horrible.

I am currently enrolled at UofP, and love it! I have never had a problem, and anyone who claims to have had a problem is either a liar or is to ignorant to just sit down, shut up, do their work, and go on with their day. To be honest with you I am really surprised that people like this even have the intelligence to post in a forum like this.

Bottom line, the UofP is an awesome online college and I am proud to be a student. Anybody who falls for this crap is really going to miss out if they base their opinion of Axia on disgruntled posts alone. To be honest with everybody I almost turned my back to Axia due to reading post like this. I suggest that you try the College before drawing an opinion, because all these negative posts are wrong.

• Zo
    zoW Jun 03, 2010

Seven months into a Master's program at UOP and not one single complaint. Hand's down, one of the single most rewarding experiences of my life. Hard work? Hell yeah. Personally rewarding? You bet!

Don't expect something for nothing. If you want easy grades for little work...look elsewhere, this is school for grown folks.

Just as it is in life, read and follow the directions, and you should reasonably expect to do well, as you'll get out of the experience what you put into it.

Can't wait to finish, then its on to my Doctorate.

• Re
    Reydy Jun 01, 2010

I have been with Axia College since March 2009, I am amost toward the end to receive my associate degree. I am very thankful that I found Axia College. I have no problem with the college. I love it.

• Ov
    Over-it-and-done May 27, 2010

I have been attending UOP for three years on a two year term for an AS in Business. I am 55 years old and had several successful businesses over the years. I started going to UOP just as a way to fill my time and do something I had always wanted to do but never seemed to have the time. when I started everything was going fine until I reached Finite Math 205. I was having a terrible time with the math. It took me three times to get through but I finally made it with the help of a retired banker friend of mine. It was he that informed me of the scam all universities are involved with. It is called "Gateway" classes. Since it takes an act of congress to gt tuition increases, they have each student go through a course they will, no doubt, fail. Then they will have to pay $1, 037 out of pocket to continue. Finite math has no prerequisites as other math courses do yet it one of the most difficult to pass. This course is the most failed course in the nation. So high that the government demanded an answer as to why this is. There was a study done as to why the failure rate is so high but the study was done by the universities themselves! They claimed it was because of low income students and remedial students attending college. Well where does that put me? I am certinly not low income and have an extensive education in business through experience. My grades have been high in all my other classes except Finite math. Believe me when I tell you, beware of the gateway classes! Be forewarned and get ready for it so you can get through. This is at all universities so be warned.

• Ph
    Phoenixgrad May 06, 2010

The problem here, is that you obviously didn't read the required readings and read the requirements of the syllabus. I'm carrying a 3.8 GPA and I have overcome more problems than you can ever dream of. Don't blame the University for your failures, which honestly I have had no problems with the programs (which I am graduating on my associates degree and pushing through to my MBA). In fact I failed math (MAT116: Advanced Algebra) once and I had a good enough GPA that I was able to get another grant to cover the cost to take the class a second time without it coming out of my pocket. Brainwash? Their job isn't to do the assignments for you, but to boost your moral and spirits to push through your program. They have helped me in ways you will never understand. You never gave them a chance to help before passing judgment.
    Take your time on assignments, read all the requirements and then submit it to writepoint checker (its what its there for to check spelling, grammer, etc) so you can get a better grade on assignments. I love this school and I admit some classes are harder than others and being online is harder than a conventional classroom, cause we don't get the personal attention as you would at a local university.

The guy who started this thread, should grow up, wake up and shut up cause it's you who failed, not UoP!

• Tr
    tra_cjsAxiaStudent Apr 06, 2010

I have been a student at Axia College of the University of Phoenix since August 2009 and have nothing but great things to say about my counselors, facilitators, the resources, expectations, etc. It has been an excellent experience thus far and compared to the private university I attended prior to enrolling in U of P, there is no comparrison. College is not cheap no matter where you go and as far as an institution caring about the success of it's students, U of P has blown others away in comparison. Every question I have had, every technical issue, emergencies in my personal life, etc. have been handled in a timely and professional manner by all parties. I have a 4.0 GPA and have worked my butt off to earn the nearly perfect grades and watch several of my classmates fail each block because they are not putting in the effort or are unable to make it in a college environment, especially an online environment.

For those of you reading this [redacted], do your research before taking the experiences of others into account. I do not work for U of P or Axia College but am a proud student who is thankful that I did my research on other online universities before choosing the one that works for me. It is a lot of work, double what I experienced at a top tier private university but if you are determined to succeed, U of P provides you with all the resources needed for success. Just make sure all your t's are crossed and i's are dotted, do assignments on time and ask questions if you need clarification on something.

The only person that can prevent you from succeeding is you! Best of luck!

• 66
    66810 Apr 04, 2010

I have just finished my thrid blocked and i have been having problems but it was not all the schools fault alot had to do with my student advisor changed and i had no way to get a hold of the new one and than my laptop died and my new one did not have words on it. so I had to buy that. and some of the assignments are vague as how you are to do it. for instance it said to use appendix d and when I did the teacher said it was the worng assigement even thought i did the way it said too. then i found some of the things in the material list was differnt than the course syllabue so i notfiy the teacher who fixed it. What i hate was when the teahcer took four days to get back to me and tell me it was posted wrong and they could not open it. They should check it out right away. that is what they get paid for. I am passing my classes right now. I had the worst subjects for me first so we will see how the rest goes.

• Ex
    Ex-Gov Mar 30, 2010

Well, after reading all those comments(good and bad) I would have to say I agree with both points of views. For one, I do believe in what you put into it, is what you get. And turning in assignments on time doesn't automatically gets you good grades, but a sense in responsibilty.Your effort and concentration determines your grade. And secondly, I do agree with the ones that say college is expensive, but if you don't have the time and motivation to achieve for what your are working for, don't get a loan, spend it on personnel use, don't finish your class and complain about you were bamboozled!! Now I'm speaking for all the guys who have prison records and ex-felons that are trying to turn their lives around and can't even get "Fed" help or grants because we made mistakes-(but then again whose perfect.) You all who made comments good or bad, should be very fortuate and privledge to attend a very fine learning instution like UoP, where as we can't. (But that's the goverment for you)

• Ra
    Raesmama Mar 19, 2010

I just filled out all of the paperwork to re-start my education at UoP Axia. I decided to read some reviews before I actually register for classes. I used to go to a Community College in Mid-MI, but have since moved to a rural area where the closest campus is almost an hour away. I decided the best path for me, a single parent, would be online classes. By no means do I think I am better than anyone, but I have a definate opinion reading all of these reviews. The majority of the people that have something bad to say have VERY poor writing skills (whether this is lack of education or typing skills I am unaware) and yet the folks that are supportive of UoP seem to have VERY good writing skills.

I must admit, I was worried. Reading all of these horrible statements all I could think of was "Oh, what have I just gotten myself into?" Then when I got to the very bottom I read something that caught my attention. Next to the big yellow exclamation point was this: "Please check text spelling before submitting a comment" I thought wow, no wonder these individuals are failing thier classes, if they cant follow simple instructions to check thier spelling, how in the world could they be expected to follow instructions from a teacher to be able to submit passing work.

I have found through 20+ years of working with the public that it is impossible to make everyone happy. As far as complaints about finanical aid, I agree with an earlier post, use the money for your education, thats why you applied for it in the first place. It is explained very well (at least it was to me) that if you fail a class your grant money will NOT cover that class. Also, a student loan is just that! It IS NOT a personal loan to buy cloths, furniture or electronics. So, if you run out of money that is no-ones fault but your own!

Oh, and by the way RipOff, just because a paper is turned in on time, DOES NOT mean that you have submitting passing work. If you received an F then I would have to assume that the work you submitted was not A, B, C or even D worthy.

• Va
    vasgon4 Mar 10, 2010

I am very surprised to read all these complaints. I am in my third block of class and my grades so far have been an A plus. I even have been late on some of my assignments but still recieve an A. I am almost done with my third block of courses and have not had any bad experiences since starting with Axia. I think I would recommend anyone to attend UOP Axia, but I do think the cost is a little high. But being a stay at home mom and not wanting to pay high cost daycare, it is all worth it. I look forward to starting my fourth block. The advice I would give to people is read the material, understand and become a great writer. I have got good comments on my writing. I didn't think I had it in me, but I do. And anyone could pass, if they do the work and do what the instructor is looking for. That is how they grade, is by checking what they are asking you to do. Which is not hard. So I feel bad for the people that had bad experiences, but maybe there is a school that can accomodate people that do not want to work for their grades. Good luck finding one.

• Ig
    Igottaclue Feb 13, 2010

For all the people complaining that it was the school's fault that you failed, wake up! Nobody pockets your money. Your grades are a direct result of your work. Nobody can force you to take out a loan, you sign for it and put in the amount of the loan. the school doesn't just pass everybody in the first 2 courses, just to fail you in the third to take your money. that is ridiculous. The counselors work hard to try to help their students thrive. But in the end it is up to the student to put in the time and commitment to succeed. As a Finance counselor I can tell you that we get get pay decreases if we have too many students fail or drop out. The success or failure of our students directly affect our salaries. So if you think we take pleasure in seeing students fail, your sorely mistaken. Obvoiusly you cant follow directions or read or listen. Most of the comments that I read that are negative just shows the poor writing skills of these looser students. Try going to any other college and see how far you get with first grade writing and comprehension, I give you all the big L, for loosers. Get a life, take responsibility for your education, you have to put in the time and the work, quit blaming everyone else for your shortfalls. Go back to McDonalds where you belong!!!