U-Haulhorror story and do not recommend them

M

We rented a 26′ truck from U-Haul, one month prior to our scheduled move from New York to Dallas on November 28 2009. I had made all the arrangements with the movers and my husband had made an arrangement to buy a car in Dallas on the day of our arrival.

The people who are selling us their car were moving to another state but they’ve decided to wait for a couple of more days until we arrive so that they can sell their car. On Friday at 5pm (about 15 hours prior to the scheduled delivery time, and right after everything closes) U-Haul gives us a call to say that they don’t have a truck for Saturday but we can get it for Sunday.

We are moving from an office building and the freight elevators on Sunday are closed unless you make prior arrangements. Friday at 5pm we had no time to make these arrangements and now our move is automatically scheduled for two days later which is the Monday right after Black Friday weekend where it will be impossible to park the truck near the freight entrance because of the volume of delivery trucks on busy Monday mornings.

I have looked at uhaul reviews on the internet and saw that many people posted similar comments. I should have looked at those before. I hope someone else reads this before making their decision with U-Haul.

• Bo
    Bob Denver Jan 19, 2021

I have rented from U-Haul a number of times and have been rather satisfied with the services I have received. This rental was a far cry from all prior uses of a U-Haul rental, and not for the better. I will never rent from this location again and advise others with BUYER BEWARE. The location is 830 Wadsworth Blvd, Lakewood, CO. The U-Haul Customer Resolution form does not provide the ability to attach an image that I could find.

I rented a U-Haul van for 2 days (12/21 to 12/23/20). As I pulled up to the office I noticed a van nearby, that obviously had recently been returned, based on the notable road spray on it from a recent snowfall. I did the paperwork and the lady in charge said I could take the one that just came in, which turned out to be the dirty one. I asked her if it had been sanitized yet. She replied "Yes" as she went to get the gas level for the paper work. (I question how good the van inside was cleaned, as I later discovered a zipper pull on the floor.) On my way home from picking up the van I stopped at a local gas station to top off the tank since it was barely above 5/8 full. This was fortunate as will be seen later.

I had to extend the rental for one day more. When I returned the van on 12/24/20 the same lady was there again. The van rents for $19.95/day, but she charged me $79 for that extra day. She claimed that she always does that as people use the van during the extended days and that adds miles. I told her I had a car that I used at the destination, so there were no added miles on the van. (At this point I did not yet know that my original rental agreement was altered. She did not care.) I drove the van 513 miles and the rental was changed to a weekly charge at $295 with 750 miles included, thus there should be no added mileage or day charges. I received a damage sheet stating there were “deep scratches on driver side of van”. I see that she also added a charged of $30 for CDW (Collision Damage Waiver). After I left she claimed to have had the van detailed, called to tell me I sideswiped something and caused damage to the driver's side, which was going to cost me $150 more. Since the van was dirty when I got it, and I did NOT hit or scrape anything at all, how could she possibly assume that I was responsible? The van was very dirty on the driver side when I got it, more than the passenger side. How is it that she does not blame the prior driver, assuming there was only one prior, for the damage to this van? Is it possible that driver was responsible? Perhaps even someone else?

I drove back to their lot and took pictures of what she claimed I did. The marks supposedly "scratched" looked like they were from a brown grease pencil. The same type of marks, but lighter, were on the rear and passenger sides as well. She insisted that I was responsible because she had the van detailed before I got it. I told her the van was very dirty when she provided it. She said "Do you have a photo to prove that?" I said “No” and she went directly to her co-worker and told her to cancel the prior charge and add $150 for damages. She had a photo on her cell phone that she claimed was my van, which had been “detailed”. The photo displayed no date and when I asked about the photo not having a date she put her phone away. Fortunately, the gas station I topped off the gas at provided evidence of the dirty van. VERY IMPORTANT is the fact that the roads were DRY on Dec 21, so I did not cause the road spray on the van. I have photos and video evidence that the van I was given had not been detailed.

Due to Christmas time off, I was unable to see the gas station manager until Dec 28, 2020. He found the clip of me getting gas in the van as I had the gas receipt so he could find me at the pump. He watched it with me. He agreed the van was dirty on the passenger side. He had to leave so I was unable to get shots of the driver’s side, which I claim was dirtier than the passenger side. The lady also refused to provide the prior rental TIME IN for the van that she provided me with. She would not provide the report showing when the detailing was done either. When I returned from taking my photos I told them not to process the damage portion until the damage issue is settled, at which time the co-worker YELLED at me that I was threatening them and to get out of the building. I left and called the Lakewood police, who said that what I described was a civil matter and that they could not be of assistance on that. I then left. I will never return to that location for a rental vehicle again. I feel that I have been essentially slandered by the lady claiming that they did a detailing and wanted me to pay for “damage” that was minor and would likely rub off. The metal of the van was not even dented/scratched where she claimed that I sideswiped something. The damage looks like a brown grease pencil and is also on 2 other sides of the van, in different amounts, but mostly lighter. Originally the lady said my damage was on the driver side. Why is there a $30 CDW fee and an extra day added without my knowledge if the van shows to be a week rental? Thanks to a nice gas station manager I do have videos and still photos for the day I received the U-Haul rental and dirt is clearly visible on the passenger side, making the “just detailed” claim to be an outright lie. Let me be perfectly clear – I did NOT cause any damage to the van, let alone on 3 sides of the van. The van was driven on a highway and then sat outside on the driveway of my destination. I also have a photo on my phone. Even that old camera shows the road spray dirt.

I want a written apology from the lady and her co-worker as well as a reduction in my bill. The bill has been altered from 3 day to a week($19.95 x 3 days, not $19.95 x 2 plus $79), a CDW was added ($30), and I have falsely been accused of damaging the van ($150) that shows no damage to the metal. The co-worker obviously does not know the difference between a threat and a statement of fact.

I feel like I have been set up by the lady telling me that she was going to rent me a van that had recently been returned, but was NOT “Detailed” on the outside. Has the definition of “Detailed” drastically been changed to include “road spray”? If the lady eventually provides a photo showing the van was detailed BEFORE I returned it I would like a copy so a friend can analyze it. He will be able to determine if any changes to the photo have occurred.

Take photos of your rental vehicle before you leave the lot. Unfortunately, U-Haul does not provide a means to attach a photo, but a judge might be interested in your photos to prove a point, such as the lady in my case lying about the van being detailed when she provided it to me.