Complaints & Reviews

unauthorized withdrawal

After paying off 3 bounced checks, 2 months later (9/24) I received 3 letters from TRS charging me $50 for each check-service fees. I figured okay, I gues that's about right.
Less than 12 hours after receiving the letters, they withdrew the first $50 without my knowledge or consent. I did not even have the chance to wake up in the morning and call them about it. The checks (that had bounced)had already been paid. I was told that if a collection agency is trying to get $$ from someone for a second party, they can legally withdraw the money without asking you. HOWEVER, TRS was acting only for themselves.
After calling them and speaking with a supervisor, they apologized and assured me they would refund my $50. That was all I had in the bank at the time, and don't get paid until the end of the month. They were very apologetic, which sounded to me like they knew what they did was wrong.
Unfortunately, I wake up on 9/26, check my bank account on line, and they have tried to take out the other $100 I owe them-again, without my knowledge or consent. Now I am in the red $70 for NSF, because there is no money in my account.
I am furious at these people, and called them again today(9/26), talked directly to a "supervisor", and got the same "I am so sorry, we will refund the money". I tried to explain that they did not get any money, because their withdrawal request was NSF, but the guy was not listening. I was not yelling, just assertive, and begged them NOT to do this, taht I would pay them next week. He hung up on me.
Okay--Can anyone out there help? I want to speak to someone higher up in this company; does anyone know a number I can call? I am an intelligent person, I pay my bills, even when they are late (I am having the same problem others are having economically), and am not trying to get out of paying them their service fees. BUT--I feel something should be done about this.

false claim of returned check status

I wrote a check to a sporting goods store that was returned and then cleared on the second time. Despite the...

Fraud/Scam on Intelos bill

TRS Recovery has called twice Yvonne is the foreign rep stating they have a check # for a certain amount that...

identity theft

My daughter received TWO letters from TRS saying on December 18, 2008 she wrote two back checks at a Wal-Mart out of the Houston area. FIRST, my daughter does not nor has she ever owned a checking account; SECOND, she does not own a car and has never been to Houston, Texas. Here is a young lady just out of High School starting college and she is hit with identity theft. Like all of you, no cooperation from TRS -- all they want is money and now we are receiving letters that they will settle for a lessor amount. They will not provide copies of the checks and want us to provide copies of the checks to them - duh - what part of she does not have a checking account don't they understand. We have filed identity theft with our police department and they are involved with this case. They told us not to send TRS ANY personal information and seeing as they have my daughters drivers license (don't know how they got this) that they can pretty much pull up anything on my daughter at this point. At this point, she can't even get a checking account even if she wanted so they are succeeding in destroying her credit when she hasn't even started her adult life.

AnnaL Jan 15, 2010

Somebody stole my mother's bank account and used counterfiet checks at Walmart. Since Walmart gives the check back to the customer, there is not cleared check. Telecheck then has to collect that money and turns it over to TRS to collect. They don't care about fixing the problem, only the bottom line. They don't care that your daughter is a victim too. They just want the money. I am sending one letter only, after that it's going to a lawyer.

horrible experience

So, one day I get an email from Amazon.com, supposedly, saying that a payment made by check did not go through and has been reported to TRS Recovery Systems, Inc. I had no idea what order this was in reference to, and there was no reference number. I contacted Amazon.com directly to verify the validity of such a claim, because it sounded fishy to me. First of all, I rarely use checks, and when I do, they are never for online purchases. This email arrived 6 months after I had made a purchase on Amazon.com and received my items.

My order had been split because one of the items I ordered was on backorder and arrived 6 months after I had placed the order. I talked to a customer service rep at Amazon.com and they said that they had no qualms with me-everything was paid for. However, they told me to call TRS to clear this up. So I called TRS and they had no idea what I was talking about. They wanted my bank account number and full routing number. I gave it to them, but they said it wasn't the right number, and asked if I was certain that I gave the full routing number, including the check number at the end.

Since I did not use a check, there was no check number to give. I told them I used a debit card for my transaction, and they said they don't work with credit card or debit card transactions-only checks. They said they couldn't help me unless I could give them an order number, reference number or full bank account information and to call Amazon.com. I already called them and they didn't have any information about this. So I thought it was over - since I didn't use a check and I was good with Amazon.com, I didn't have to worry about this anymore. I was wrong. A week later I get an invoice saying I owe TRS for the amount of $10.68 for the Amazon.com order plus a $20 service fee that they imposed for 'helping me out' and getting rid of this debt that I didn't have.

Even though they have my bank account number, I don't care, because that account has been closed for the past 3 months, so if they try to collect from that, they won't get anything out of it. I sent them a letter telling them I am not going to pay because I don't owe them or Amazon.com anything.

TRS didn't like my response and rebutted by sending another letter saying the debt was valid and that if I didn't pay it would affect my credit score and I would never be able to place another order at Amazon.com until the debt was settled and I better pay or else. I have since ordered from Amazon.com several times in the past few months with no problems whatsoever.

In addition to the threatening letters, they started calling my cell phone night and day. I screen all my calls and don't pick up for 'unknown' numbers or numbers I don't recognize. They never left a message, but I knew it was them. If it's important enough, they will leave a message and I will call them back. (Well, maybe not them, but other people).

I sent them another letter, demanding them to cease and desist immediately. I told them forthright that I would not talk to them over the phone. They still call me night & day, however now they leave a prerecorded message, with my name and some 14-digit number after it.

They ignored my initial order to cease and desist, so now I have to send them a second cease and desist letter. I have logged every call I've received from them and reported them to the FTC, my cell phone carrier, the Utah Division of Consumer Protection, the BBB, and have an attorney on standby.

I don't know if that will be enough to stop them from continuing to call me. If they do not stop, they will be seeing me in court (For a $10.68 so-called debt, it is hardly worth it, however, I am confident that I will win and I will sue the pants off these bas***ds, just for the sheer inconvenience it has caused me).

• Ca
    C &B Sep 09, 2009

They erroneously contacted me today looking for someone else who I had never met but had previously owned the phone number that now belongs to me. When I tried to explain I was not the person they sought they insisted on obtaining the last four digits of my SS # in order to 'remove me from the calling list' and future harrassments- this coming from the mouth of a supervisor. I suggested they could simply verify their error by calling 'information' and matching the phone number with my name, which I had provided them. Giving any personal/ confidential information sounds like a scam and case for the Texas State Atty. Generals office; I will also try consulting the agencies you listed as well because I am so ticked off right now I am willing to make a huge issue of it. Thanks for your warning.
    Look out for these snakes; sounds like a scam to me. They were probably part of the bad ccredit collectors on " Dateline.'"
    P.S. If anyone knows a Tina Woods tell her I am gunning for her. She is the alleged debtor/ fraudulent check writer who puts me in this postion of fending off her collection calls!

C & B-
    I am Debbie, and am having similar issues with these people. My problem is that they are withdrawing $$ from my account without asking. This AM they tried to get $100 for "service fees" from bounced checks 2 months ago; I did not have the $$, so now I have $70 worth of NSF charges from my bank.
    I am worried, because they have my bank account number, and I gave the "supervisor" this morning my license number. I asked why he needed it, he said it was part of the identification process. This was before i found this site.
    Besides BBB and my state's(VA) attorney general's office, who else can I contact? (besides a lawyer) I am very angry also, and am willing to pursue this thing...They cannot do this to people!
    Maybe I should call Dateline or something...

• Wa
    wade martin Sep 17, 2017

Does anyone else find it odd that on the Amazon app in your messages they keep referencing Telecheck? And it always says some bs about telecheck that makes no sense, then Not one single mention of the so called TRS Recovery Service until I'm off amazon and into my personal email... Not to mention I purchased two items and have received them and they suddenly claim that my payments are being denied as well as claiming I owe Amazon or TRS payment in full whilst never stating what I owe or where it came from. These people have no clue wth their job consist of honestly... if enough people file official complaints something gotta give

Comments

untrue claim that I owe them money

I received in the mail a "Notice of Attorney Referral" from TRS Recovery Services. The letter claims that I had written a check to a Wal-Mart in Tulare, CA in December of 2007, and that they had tried numerous times to contact me (which did not happen). Upon trying to contact them back at one of the numerous numbers that were provided, I was never able to reach a human being to talk with them. Since I had NOT written a check for $820.00 to Wal-Mart in Tulare, because I live at least five hours away, I became alarmed that this was 1) either a scam on the part of TRS or 2) Identity Theft. I contacted my local Police Department, and they were nice enough to check into the situation for me.
The officer working on the case suggested that I do the following:
Because TRS is actually a legitimate business (I don't understand why!), that I write them a letter stating that the check was not written by me, that I had contacted my local law enforcement agency, and that they need to send me an affadavit form. I obtained a Police Report for this claim, and I will share that with TRS.
The officer told me that once this happens, if they then send me the form, to go ahead and fill it out and it should be done. He said also that many times, they drop the case. Good Luck, and beware! Don't give them any personal information.

Deborah M Vann Sep 26, 2009

I hear you! You said don't give them any personal info, but unfortunately they already have mine. I had 3 bounced checks that they were handling, so now they have my bank account number. They withdrew service fees from my account without asking. I think I will speak with the police dept.
    Thanks!
    Debbie

Fraud and scam

I had some transactions that accidentally did not go thru and TRS Recovery got involved. They tried to send...

Harrassing phone calls

TRS keeps calling my house looking for my grandson that "used" to live with me. I have told them repeatedly...

thiefs

TRS Recovery Services, Inc. keeps authorizing bad checks written using my name or nick name and address with an incorrect identification and another victims bank information and then sends unpaid check notices to me for payment or keeps calling for collection. TRS has allowed identity theft criminals to write more than twenty plus checks totaling over $20, 000 using my information with another victims bank account information. Despite my affidavits about the identity theft and fogeries, I keep receiving notices and additional requests.

TRS still accepts checks using my information and says that the burden is on me to prove that I did not write these checks. TRS representatives have notified me that its system is not setup to identity identity theft victims. Additionally, I have found great frustration trying to talk to a live person and then, once you do, they hang up on you.

Anyone interested in a class action suit. Maybe they will change the system to protect identity theft victims instead of the criminals.

• Gr
    grinch911 Dec 09, 2010

i to wrote a check to a telecheck merchant on a sunday around 9:30pm. a couple of weeks later i wrote another check to the same merchant and it was declined, i had just made a $1500.00 deposit three days earlier. i was told to call telecheck and when i finaly got to speak to a real person, i was told that i had wrote a check that was declined for insufficient funds and the check was ran back through . so i called the bank and they told me that the check was ran the next day on monday and that the check was paid. then telecheck put a lien on this account. this was on dec 2nd and we still cant use our account. this is a joint account with myself and my husband. and i just find out today that telecheck has also put a lien on my personal account that has a differant account number, my husband does not have access to this account to this account. now they tell us that we wont be able to use our accounts until the 18th . we have bills due on the 14th and my husband will need his medicine on the 13th. this will end up costing us around $435.00 in returned check fees, when the check has already been paid, and the funds were in our account all along. i dont see how someone can lock up your account and charge you for it, and also attach a lien to another account with a differant account number. well thanks to telecheck their will be no christmas at our house this year, and we will have to try to borrow money just to get my husbands medicine so he can breathe. how we will be able to pay all these fees i dont know. my husband works full time outside with copd and chronic asthma and i work a part time job that slows down to almost nothing in the winter time. if anything should be illegal, it should be this. especially with todays economy people that are lucky enough to have a job at all still cant make ends meet. then to have a ripoff like this is just the most criminal act of all. and how insulting to hear them tell you that they are sorry and that theres nothing that they can do. i know that there are many more people out there in the same position that im in, and i really hope that everything will work out for you, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. and to telecheck im sure that all of you will have a very merry christmas, at our expence of course. so enjoy your bonus, and always remember that what goes around comes around. some day you may be in our shoes and i hope that someone tells you im sorry theres nothing i can do.

fraud

I received a letter from TRS Recovery Services stating that I had written bouced checks, but I do not receive checks from my bank. So far they have sent me 4 different letters for different amounts of money that I had supposed to have written the checks for. I called the number that was listed if I wanted to dispute this letter. I dialed [protected], it was a recording that told me to write to the p.o. box number. I never could talk to a live person. I am getting me an attorney to do a full investigation on this company for Identity theft and calling the better business bureau of Investingation to make sure this company is put out of business.

• Qu
    "CJ" Jun 06, 2008

These people, TRS Recovery Services, not only rip off people from who a debt is trying to be collected, they prey on innocent people!. They make withdrawals from people's checking accounts over the phone and falsify the verification process to TAKE MONEY FROM YOUR ACCOUNT WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE!!! Stay alert of the activity on your accounts!!!

• I have just received two letters from TRS Recovery Services Inc. There are two amounts, (fairly small) But definitely not mine. I have called the same number you have listed and cannot speak to a real person. They have asked for information about me that is none of their business. If it was a real claim, they would have all that information. I do not write checks to pay bills, I use a debit card or online banking.
    I cannot see how this company can continue in such a fraudulent manor.
    Concerned in Washington State

Call this number--
    1-800-710-9898
    This is the number for "disputing a claim", or something like that. Talk directly to a supervisor. Don't even explain the problem to an operator.
    Good luck.
    Debbie

• Cj
    cjekas May 10, 2011

I received calls saying I had a check returned from Sam's Club and I needed to make arrangements to send them the cost of the check plus a fee. Well 1st off, the check had been paid, 2ndly when I tried to call these people all I could ever get was press 1, press2 again, never a human.

I called Sam's Club about this and they were so upset. They tried to call the number and got the same thing. Finally they were able to get on their system and my check had cleared the bank and I owed no one anything.

These people still call me all the time and I have blocked the number on the phone and turned them over to local law enforcement.

• Kr
    Kris Crow Dec 18, 2015

I also received a letter stating I owed money for a check that was bad. Well first and formally I don't write checks, don't even own any just a debit card. I'm going to do a little investigation of these people myself and heaven forbid they take money out of my account

customer service person carolyn

TRS recovery has been calling my job everyday This woman Carolyn was very nasty and short with me on the...

scam and cheating!

After a purchase on Amazon .com unsuccessfully was paid through my electronic banking, I have been repeatedly harassed by TRS. The purchase was by my son, a minor. The "Paypal" transaction did not go thru. TRS calls constantly calls at all hours of the night and asks for my son. The last call, the admitted that it takes 2 to 3 weeks for paper checks to be processed. I advised them not to call me at all in the next 3 weeks since they are admitting that this is the case.
The balance is $34.00

I have realized that there are numerous complaints on the internet against this company and I expect to lodge 1 complaint for everytime they call me until this is resolved.

• He
    hernandez Feb 03, 2008

they did not take the money out of my account that I had to pay

• Fr
    freespirited55447 Aug 09, 2014

FYI...I used to work as a Financial Analyst for a collections agency and the laws are such that they are only allowed to call from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.. If they call outside of these hours you can get an attorney on the case. It is called harassment. FYI...also...if any of them ever threatens you or swears at you then you can call their supervisor and they get fired for that. The reps make about $24k and the rest is all earned on commissions from what they collect. Some are desperate and will threaten to try to get their commissions. If the supervisor sticks up for them then that's probably worth an attorney case too. I hope this helps anyone reading these complaints! This holds true for ALL types of collections (and not just for TRS). Pass it on :)

• Es
    ESP1 Mar 28, 2018

I've been an Amazon.com customer MANY years, and spend *thousands*. I had this happen to me for $17.49 purchase! Then, to add insult to injury, the recovery company wanted an additional $25 on top of that for a collection fee!

Then there's also a threat in the letter, because why not spit in my face as well as insult me. "Your name has been entered in TeleCheck's nationwide computer files. Until this is resolved, TeleCheck may not approve your transactions at more than 300, 000 merchants and banks who use TeleCheck nationally."

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY Amazon, this is how you treat your long-standing, loyal Amazon customers???

WHAT in the WORLD is Amazon thinking!!! They could have just simply emailed me and I would have gladly paid what didn't go through. Instead, they insult me with a recovery service???? Bezos, get your head screwed on right with this one, seriously. This was not only insulting -- cost me hours of my time.

When I called TRS Recovery, they said the only way to file a dispute was by a written letter or fax. SERIOUSLY???

Frustrating!

I purchased something from McAfee 3 months ago using the TELECHECK service on their website. It ended up being the wrong product so they refunded me the money. Well a month later I get a collection notice in the mail saying I owe TELECHECK $87.00. I have been on the phone for the past 2 months trying to sort this out. McAfee has contacted TELECHECK to tell them that the product was refunded and STILL they are harassing me with this. I sent them my bank statement proving that it had been charged and then refunded. I don't know what more I can do. This company is unbelievable.

call my house 2 or 3 times a day

I keep getting phone calls from TRS Recovery saying that they need to resolve a debt matter before 10-05-07...

beware, trs is a rip off!

Received a letter from TRS Recovery Services on April 9, 2007. They told me that I had wrote a bad check for...