Triton Globalphone bill

There were two unauthorized charges on my phone bill. One for
$39.95 for 12 minutes and 1 for $39.95 for 10 minutes. I have no idea who made these calls. I am a senior citizen and cannot afford these unauthorized calls. The calls were made at 1:16 & 1:30 am Nov. 2/10. I called Triton Global in Calgary, Alberta but they would do nothing about it. Is there anything that could be done?

• Ca
    Cable Guy1 Dec 22, 2016

Hello, I work for a communication company in Western Canada. While I agree it is easy to blame the messenger (Triton Global / Your phone provider) for charges that appear on your bill. Triton global is the company that passes a charge from 1 provider to another so they are literally " the middle man" passing a charge from 1 phone carrier to another. The right place to complain is to the CCTS but not that the charges appeared on your providers statement, but about the number that generated the charge. there are a few free carrier look up sites such as http://www.freecarrierlookup.com/ if you have a non toll free number that appeared on your carriers statement lookup the number using a site like this and it will let you know what phone carrier owns that number (MTS, Telus, Shaw, Bell, Iristel, Primus etc). Most charges that are passed along by Triton Global are due to a toll free number that has changed (Example an old Manulife toll free line is disconnected, a company buys that number so when you call it it plays a message similar to "The number you have call has changed. To be connected press 1 now (short pause) for a fee of $x.xx) press one now to be connected."
    In many instances that pause is there so you may press 1 and never hear that there is a charge for being connected to the correct number. Again you as the consumer are calling a toll free number why would you expect there to be a charge for calling a toll free line.
    Often the number that will appear on your statement will not be the toll free line you called but a Canadian phone number that the toll free line points to (anyone can get a toll free line so they pay the long distance fees rather than someone having to call long distance). While I do not like how these services work especially with the "pause" before saying the charge (or having the working be "The number you have call has changed. for a fee of $x.xx) press one now to be connected." ) AT least this way the consumer is made aware of the charge before given instructions to press 1. I encourage anyone who has a triton global charge they do not understand to look their statement and see what number sent the charge to their carrier. Lookup who the provider is for that phone number and file a complaint with the CCTS for the carrier of the number and not the one who's bill it appeared under. This is the only way you can complain about how that service is operating and not directly to your phone provider as they have no control over how a phone number that you called is operating.

• Fr
    FRANKINTORONTO Feb 11, 2014

SAME CHARGE ON OUR ROGERS ACCT ROGERS TAKES A CUT OF THE CHARGE SO THEY ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE VOGUS FALSE CALL

joe webster Oct 01, 2013

I have been charged hundreds of dollars by this company and I never had any dealings with them now bell is saying that they are legit charges even though I never made them and I have threatened not to pay my phone bill and now I may get the charges dropped but I doubt it

• Dr
    drat Feb 26, 2013

Dec. 27, 2012 Triton Global DIR ASSIST $3.99 PLUS TAX charged to my Rogers bill
    I know I didn't accept any charges and don't think I answered this call.
    I am on the NCL list but this didn't help. The number was [protected] I tried to trace it back and think it might be a company in Detroit Michigan called Allegiance Telecom. Rogers suggested I call them but since this a long distance number I was afraid it might cost me more than the $3.99.

• Le
    Leonard Crausen Jan 30, 2013

Simular happened to me today . I recieved my monthly statement from Bell Canada and on one page under the heading
    Usages-Other Carrier Messages.
    There were 10 Calls on Dec 22nd 2012 supposedly between 7:09 AM and 7:48AM
    Message Type . Number Called Time Duration(Min) Call Type Amount
    1 Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST IL773-[protected].09 2.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    2 Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST CA323-[protected].21 1.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    3 Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST FL561-[protected].22 2.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    4 Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST FL561-[protected].26 2.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    5 Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST TX214-[protected].29 2.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    6 Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST NY347-[protected].35 2.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    7 Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST NY347-[protected].42 1.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    8 Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST TX214-[protected].44 2.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    9 Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST CA323-[protected].46 2.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    10Sat Dec 22 Triton Global DIR_ASSIST FL561-[protected].48 2.0 OZ ( Operator Assisted) 3.99
    Total Cost 39.90
    Plus HST
    Can't wait to talk to Bell Canada/ Triton Global Communication and the CRTC Tomorrow