Menu
Travelodge
reviews & complaints

Travelodge
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

84 complaints
8 resolved 76 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Travelodge. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
8:45 pm EDT

Travelodge - hotel service

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at about 8:30PM we checked into our room at Travelodge Paasadena, Ca
While checking in I asked the manger, Owen, if they had bugs. He said no. They inspect the rooms once a week. I should of checked Yelp before I booked the room.
There are several complaints of bugs.
When we entered the room there was loud noise coming from the room next door.
TV and talking. This continued on until late hours of the evening. We also saw 2 bugs. I got a picture of one of them. The other ran under the dresser. In my opinion there were probably more.
I complained to Owen. Nothing was done. We got very little sleep if any. We checked out 4:30 AM. The office was closed.
I called Owen a few days later letting him know of our dissatisfaction of our experience there. I requested a full refund. He refused.

I booked this room because www.Bookings.com gave it a descent rating of 6.9.
In my opinion this is inaccurate. I would give it maybe .5 to 1.

Please do your homework before staying at Travelodge Pasadena.

View 0 more photos
L
4:39 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Been spending alot of money with y'all still Galveston loxatopm on avenue u people kept me up allnite illlegal activity going on any possible way I can get a free nite today oj thrusdaus the 1st I don't think this is fair im on room 201 sum people have to work and not keep people up all nite please get this resolved ty u have a good day [protected] Larry netterville

R
10:10 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My brother and I was staying at travelodge near the San Francisco airport at 326 south airport Blvd when the people that runs the place told me I had to get out because of the smell and the mess. There was no smell and we didn't have the place in a mess. They also told me if they had to deep clean they was going to charge my credit card 200 dollars, not...

11:39 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I booked 2 rooms one for myself and my wife the other for my elderly mother as we were in town from washington for daughter's college graduation both rooms were dirty walks holes in bed blankets bathtub dirty carpet dirty sticky dirty ceiling from old water leak had to buy new hand to wells as ones supplied stained and torn cracks in walls dead bugs bottom...

12:41 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I'm new to the city of New Braunfels Tx and online at the time the weekly rates were affordable and convenient. I found out that I needed to extend my and my 2year olds stay, not a problem. I was told several occasions it's cheaper during the week than it is weekend, fine, that's anywhere. I work in the service industry and have been for many years so to...

12:01 pm EDT

Travelodge - bed bugs ontario hotel 1150 n grove ontario

We couldn't even sleep the bugs where everywhere we asked to be switched to another room
They denied it and said if we want our full refund we have to check out at 4 am with three kids this is ridiculous now we don't even know if we brought any since They still
Called us back and said we needed to leave already the bugs where so big and visible how can they not have seen them

F
7:22 pm EST

Travelodge - overcharge of $68

Upon arriving at this hotel I asked the price and the clerk originally said it was $172. I said I couldn't afford that and started to leave. He then told me he would give me a special rate of $63, including taxes. When I checked in I asked for a room with the number "3" in it. The clerk asked me why was I asking for that number and I replied it is the number of God. He said his God's number was 68. I asked who was his God and he did not reply.

I was overcharged $68 on my debit card. They denied the charge and refused to refund the money.

This was not only larceny, it was sneaky, deliberate manipulation and control. How can I retrieve this money?

C
11:18 am EDT

Travelodge - room

My daughter and I took her children to Lake George N.Y. on July 31 and check out August 2 2017. I had asked for a cot, which we got. It had one sheet on the mattress. No blanket or pillow for that. The bathroom was dirty. Old wash cloth hanging on the shower rod. The room smelled like mold and the air conditioner smelled also every time it turned on. It wasn't great or should I say good for the money I paid.

11:14 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We booked a night at travel lodge chilliwack and when we got in the room it stunk like dirty old mildew. Then we went into the bathroom and the toilet had urine and pubic hair all over it. The tables had hair and dust all over them. There was dirty used towels still hanging up in the bathroom and not to mention the room up stairs squeaks so much we were up...

J
11:09 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Below is a letter sent to the BBB: On April 6th/2017 I spoke to Neil D'Souza (Manager). After explaining that my parents stayed at the Travelodge twice last year for a total of 5 weeks, I also explained that their refrigerator, microwave and TV did not work either. I also told them about the condition of the carpets. Even after this, my parents wanted to...

A
7:19 pm EDT

Travelodge - ex-employee complaint

Above everything...I'm not asking for my job back, but I am asking that you hear me out. I came back to that property because I'm familiar with it and know and understand the problems that arise there. That said, when I first started back here, Portia was not consistent in her managerial duties. I was also very confused as to how her, Marlene and Diamond were able to run the front desk with their toddlers in the back screaming and coloring on walls. I digress, as I did bring my 13 year old sometimes to keep me company but only if I had not gotten enough sleep as she kept me awake during those wee hours when nothing was happening and nobody needed my assistance. There were many slow nights and beside the one or two check-ins and the ten minutes to run audit that there was nothing to do. With so much spare time I remade signs, typed up a full DoNotRent spreadsheet, folded sheets and towels just to pass time.
I had a pretty bad car accident in 2012 and it's left me with a bulged disc and two slipped discs in my back. It doesn't prevent me from working but it does require that I fluctuate from standing to sitting. I found that during breakfast setup that the chairs in the dining area were softer on me so during the slow times I would sit there with the blinds open to watch for customers. When inexperienced, egotistical April came back as front desk manager, she frowned upon my sitting in there and even wrote me up after telling me that “I needed to stay behind the desk at ALL times and I didn't need to sit down anyway.” I'm sorry but if I need to help a customer with their doors, run and clean a room, or just check a room for deposit (or even setup breakfast) than I need to have that option. I even had a guest call corporate on me because I refused to forward a call without him giving me the name on the room ALSO, April and Victor agreed that I didn't need to ask. Well I've been doing this for 15 years and I believe that a guest should not be bothered if the call is not for them and the guests' safety is at stake if I just transfer anybody to their room.
Anyhow, by the last two weeks I was there, I was standing the whole time I was there and transferring calls that I knew damn well shouldn't have been transferred. But I did, because that's what I was told to do. Constant guest complaints such as having no towels for their rooms, attitude from the morning people, and bugs. I kept my mouth shut about dirty rooms, missing pay stubs ( I am still missing my last three), overtime hours missing from payroll checks, employees getting high on company time, employees giving out free rooms, employees taking breakfast items to their rooms, not having breakfast items for the guests, and I dealt with harassment from certain guests that told me all they had to do is tell Griselle or April and they could do whatever they wanted. I watched April raise rates on some long-term guests and not others, I even found she had checked one out of the system (he was out 2 days when I found the mistake because I hadn't been there) because she hadn't gotten payment (but he was STILL in-house), I also found a guest checked in with no payment for the room and only a deposit that she was fully aware of, and also deposits were coming up missing.
To be honest I was about to quit anyway. Nobody likes going to work knowing that they are not appreciated and April did everything she could to make me uncomfortable including yelling at me in front of guests. Yes, I absolutely lock the lobby doors of anywhere I work, I can't tell you how many times I've caught people having sex or doing drugs in the bathroom...why buy a room if that's available? Also, because of the area of the hotel, most of the guests understood and I did make exceptions when necessary...And that was pretty funny-putting me on the schedule to work 11p-7a and be back in time for a 3p-11p shift. A little warning would be nice as I usually only work 3rd shift. I can do 2nd but need advance notice as I live almost an hour away.
I believe customer service comes first, above ALL, I take time with each of the guests to make their visit as pleasant as possible and for return guests to feel as comfortable as possible like a home away from home. Anything I can do to put a smile on their faces I do. But I also stick to the rules that deposits and IDs are a must for check-in. Everyone should be safe and happily tucked in when I'm there or somethings not right. And the last couple weeks definitely were NOT right. My guaranteed 40 hrs (given by Jamie) was cut to 2 days a week and I had requested time off for my daughter's birthday a month in advance and no surprise, I was scheduled to work one of the days I'd be gone. Also, If the employees are not treated fairly there are bound to be problems.
Yes, I have grievances but I think it's more like just F.Y.I.,
If you think by firing me that the problem is solved-than you should look closer to home.

10:08 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Travlodge UK allows people to book hotel rooms and make payments WITHOUT verifying card information. I was subject to debit card fraud by four unscrupulous and thieving individuals who used my debit card to pay for FOUR rooms. Upon contacting my bank, I was told that Travelodge confirmed the booking and allowed these thieves to walk away and stay at their...

T
3:26 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Terrible Discriminating Place This was the worst experience of my life. When attempting to check into this location I was meet with hate, extreme rudeness and absolute disrespect. The man attempting to check me in was extremely disrespectful and falsely accused me of not being who I was. He screamed that I was trespassing. As a law abiding citizen who ha...

3:03 pm EDT

Travelodge - horrible experience

Travelodge La Mesa kicked out my wife and kids, insulted and abused them, and ruined their vacation. I thought our experience was absolutely bizarre and horrible, but if you look for other comments on Google or travel sites they describe exactly the same scenario, going back years! I found more than 40. Everyone says "I can't believe what just happened!" I looked at other Travelodge reviews, to see if this kind of thing just happens at budget hotels, but no. Only this hotel has dozens of these nightmare reports in multiple reviews on multiple sites. Apparently it's like Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; they seem very nice and then suddenly they turn on you. This review is a summary of our experience and others.

Here is what happens: You check into the hotel, or try to check in, and then they "catch" you doing something. This might include parking 2 cars in their empty parking lot (one car violation!), or having a baby and 4 adults in a room (four persons max!), or having a visitor (sneaking in!). Or you commit some "sin" like questioning a charge (fraud!), or asking that they not make snide comments to your back (impudence!). In our case my wife checked in, sent an adult and two children up to the room, and then went to get a pizza. When she came back, the manager confronted her at the entrance and said "Get out, you can't stay here!" Apparently her crime was sending someone else in with the key and intending to put 2 adults and 4 small children in a room. Surrounded by belligerent hotel employees she never made it past the lobby. Then they tried to keep our other 2 children in the lobby while she cleared out the room (What, hostages?!). They intended to put 4 children out on the street at 10PM, but she insisted on getting the number of another hotel. So they sent her to an even worse SRO hotel where the night clerk offered her drugs at check in and the hooker next door had a busy night. Nice job Travelodge! To be fair, I booked the hotel online and it just listed two adults. It is not unreasonable to want to clarify the reservation. At a normal hotel they might want you to pay an extra guest charge, or pay for a roll-away bed, or offer you another room, or, being jerks, insist one adult and child stay somewhere else.

At the Travelodge La Mesa, the staff all piles out of the back and en mass they dress you down in front of your family or other guests, with insults specific to what you were "caught" doing. If it sounds crazy, it is. This was our exact experience, and multiple other travelers report variations of this! Then they kick you out and threaten to call the police, or actually call the police. Having small children or being a foreign visitor who can't find another hotel is not going to earn you any sympathy. Apparently they sometimes just insult you rather than kicking you out, but then again these seemed to be travelers who were checking out.

I assumed that it was just an unbalanced office manager, but I got the Travelodge franchisee on the phone and Anal (a typical Indian name, not a critique) appears to be the source of this madness. He told me he could have accommodated my wife and kids if he felt like, but she was a "liar" for having a booking for two adults trying to "sneak" our kids in. However, he told her he did not have any rooms. Who is the liar? Again, this is consistent with the other 40+ reports. Travelers generally mention Anal or Oscar going crazy on them, making up crazy lies or trying to take their money. Is it like a "gotcha" game to them? It is just so crazy and horrible.

Maybe they have lots of problems given the bad neighborhood, or the owner just has bad days. Obviously they think their customers are ### and they don't have to take any lip. But no other hotel anywhere has all these crazy reports, and imagine how many more people have not posted anything. Even this hotel only has these horrendous reports since this particular manager took over in 2008.

Travelodge La Mesa also has extremely positive reviews, much more in volume and rating than any other Travelodge or small hotel in San Diego, and based on review scores is apparently one of the top hotels in San Diego County, higher rated than the Hyatt Regency, US Grant, or the Omni. Judge for yourself if that seems plausible. The reviews are either glowing "5s" or experiences like ours. Positive reviews say it is cleaner and quieter than the average Travelodge. Apparently if they decide you are a "good" guest they are very nice. But judging from loads of crazy stories, you cannot predict what will set them off. Don't use a discount booking, don't ask questions, don't have any special requests, and don't complain. Otherwise you may get a nasty surprise like my family did. Is the risk worth a two star hotel room that is rated a little cleaner and a little quieter? On the plus side, they can recommend another hotel actually run by drug dealers after they kick you out.

R
2:53 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I booked tickets to legoland discovery center online with my debit card via their website which actually goes through merlin entertainment in the united kingdom and right after got a bunch of charges to the travelodge website thame gb on my debit card and they cleaned out my bank account while i was on vacation so was there for stuck in chicago with four...

K
5:43 pm EST

Travelodge - unacceptable service

I booked this hotel through Expedia for 4 nights (12/30/10 through 1/2/11). My son and I were traveling for a long weekend. On our flight out to Phoenix, we were delayed in Philadelphia for 29 hours. We contacted Expedia and in turn, they contacted the hotel which held the room for us. When we arrived on 12/31/10 later in the day, we were put in room 205. The room was never cleaned (the sheets were dirty, the bathroom filthy, items were broken in the bathroom such as the toilet paper roller and shower control, and there were signs of mold in the bathroom). We were so tired that we slept that night on top of the bed covers with our clothes on. It was utterly disgusting. The neighborhood in which the hotel was located was not safe at all. The next morning, when we were heading out for breakfast, we noted four of Phoenix's finest police cars in front of the hotel. Later that morning, we asked to speak to the manager. He was not available. We asked when he would be back and were told that he'd be there at 2 pm. At 2 pm, he wasn't there and we complained to the front desk about these issues. We were told to wait for the manager. Expedia advised us to check out if we were not satisfied with the hotel. We did that and found a Days Inn in Scottsdale much more to our liking.

Since that time, Expedia has been trying to contact the manager to seek a partial refund on our stay. The manager has never been accessible when they've called (even after 2 pm when we are told he would be there).

We stayed one night out of four at this location. The manager's position has been to ignore us and keep the guaranteed money. It was only when we contacted Travelodge directly that the manager did contact Expedia to refund us for two of the nights. We expected a refund for the three nights we did not stay at this location. Given the conditions, they really should not have charged at all since this room was not in condition to be used.

Upon further contact with Travelodge corporate, they have taken the position that they cannot control what an individual manager does and that we should be satisfied with this outcome. This is totally unacceptable. Corporate should take responsibility to do the right thing.

J
1:09 am EDT

Travelodge - changed bookings

In August, on our behalf, my niece booked 5 rooms including 2 family rooms for the weekend September 25th at the Innkeepers Lodge in Liverpool. This was for family from various locations for a family party and was a good opportunity to spend time together. Subsequently Innkeepers Lodge was taken over by Travelodge who embarked on alterations and refurbishment, and in the process did away with the family rooms. This did not happen by magic, overnight and must have been preplanned. However my niecewasnot notified of this until 9.oopm on the evening before . The 2 families were accommodated in flats in the centre of Liverpool, a city that they did not know. One of the families took one and a half hours trying to find the Lever Court Apartments and consequently were very late for the family party. The flats although they had obviously been nice initially were grubby and obviously used by too many hen parties and stag nights. One was very small, with the oven door hanging off, and lights not working.In the event they were not charged for these rooms, but this does not alter the fact that by telling us so late of the changes we had no time to make alterations to our plans, and they caused a lot of disruption and disappointment which earlier notice could have prevented. In addition My husband and I live 50 minutes away and had only decided to stay overnight at the Innkeepers Lodge /Travelodge in order to be with the families. We were charged for breakfast although it was supposed to be included on our originally booking. ( an airport style bagged affair -very poor ) so we wasted £74 in total that we can ill afford.
We had no complaint about the actual travelodge it was the inadequate service by the hotel booking team who caused our problems.

1 comment
Y
Jun 05, 2015 10:02 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

i agree with complaint, we rented a room in long beach Travelodge convention center mind you, beds were dirty, room stinked
I will never use Travelodge or any other hotel connected with them. I was very disappointed . yortega Arizona

12:58 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

we stayed for one night in a family room in this travelodge in the city of Preston we arrived late as we had traveled over 200 miles. once we stepped inside the room (216 )it smelt very strongly of disinfectant as if they were trying to disguise another smell by using large quantities of it. we then had to make up the sofa bed and once we pulled off the...

E
1:31 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The manager of Travelodge La Mesa, an Indian by the name of Anal Shah, has a habit of asking people to leave the hotel for no particular reason. It has happened to several travelers (You can read about their experiences on travel sites such as "Tripadvisor"). I also had a very bad encounter with him. I stayed at that hotel for nearly two weeks without...

2:18 pm EDT