Having problems with Travelodge?

1800 912 4668 (Colombia)
800 854 78544 (Costa Rica)
1800 062 1218 (Mexico)
1800 507 2738 (Panama)
+1 800 525 4055 (USA and Canada)
+1 800 835 2424 (Customer Service)
+1 877 604 0069 (Spanish Language)
+54 800 266 0588 (Argentina)
22 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, New Jersey

Complaints & Reviews

debit card fraud

Travlodge UK allows people to book hotel rooms and make payments WITHOUT verifying card information. I was subject to debit card fraud by four unscrupulous and thieving individuals who used my debit card to pay for FOUR rooms. Upon contacting my bank, I was told that Travelodge confirmed the booking and allowed these thieves to walk away and stay at their hotel...AT MY EXPENSE!
What kind of hotel doesn't verify if the card belongs to the people checking in? They have PHYSICAL access to these people, their so-called guests, yet they do not enforce measures to check if the payment methods are truly theirs. For example, if these thieves really owned the debit card, then they could produce it.
Furthermore, the booking was made at LEICESTER, GB. The card owner is thousands of miles away, and Travelodge can clearly see that when they process the payment. Shouldn't that be ringing bells?

Travelodge helps debit card fraudsters get away with their crimes. They enable thieves to use stolen credit card information.

THE CHARGE WILL APPEAR IN YOUR BILL AS FOLLOWS: TRAVELODGE WEBSITE GB(826)
Avoid this TRAVELODGE - Cheap Hotel Chain like the Plague.

• Db
    DB Pam Jul 31, 2013

THE CHARGE WILL APPEAR IN YOUR BILL AS FOLLOWS: TRAVELODGE WEBSITE GB(826)
    Avoid this TRAVELODGE - Cheap Hotel Chain like the Plague.

customer service

Terrible Discriminating Place This was the worst experience of my life. When attempting to check into thi...

horrible experience

Travelodge La Mesa kicked out my wife and kids, insulted and abused them, and ruined their vacation. I thought our experience was absolutely bizarre and horrible, but if you look for other comments on Google or travel sites they describe exactly the same scenario, going back years! I found more than 40. Everyone says "I can't believe what just happened!" I looked at other Travelodge reviews, to see if this kind of thing just happens at budget hotels, but no. Only this hotel has dozens of these nightmare reports in multiple reviews on multiple sites. Apparently it's like Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; they seem very nice and then suddenly they turn on you. This review is a summary of our experience and others.

Here is what happens: You check into the hotel, or try to check in, and then they "catch" you doing something. This might include parking 2 cars in their empty parking lot (one car violation!), or having a baby and 4 adults in a room (four persons max!), or having a visitor (sneaking in!). Or you commit some "sin" like questioning a charge (fraud!), or asking that they not make snide comments to your back (impudence!). In our case my wife checked in, sent an adult and two children up to the room, and then went to get a pizza. When she came back, the manager confronted her at the entrance and said "Get out, you can't stay here!" Apparently her crime was sending someone else in with the key and intending to put 2 adults and 4 small children in a room. Surrounded by belligerent hotel employees she never made it past the lobby. Then they tried to keep our other 2 children in the lobby while she cleared out the room (What, hostages?!). They intended to put 4 children out on the street at 10PM, but she insisted on getting the number of another hotel. So they sent her to an even worse SRO hotel where the night clerk offered her drugs at check in and the hooker next door had a busy night. Nice job Travelodge! To be fair, I booked the hotel online and it just listed two adults. It is not unreasonable to want to clarify the reservation. At a normal hotel they might want you to pay an extra guest charge, or pay for a roll-away bed, or offer you another room, or, being jerks, insist one adult and child stay somewhere else.

At the Travelodge La Mesa, the staff all piles out of the back and en mass they dress you down in front of your family or other guests, with insults specific to what you were "caught" doing. If it sounds crazy, it is. This was our exact experience, and multiple other travelers report variations of this! Then they kick you out and threaten to call the police, or actually call the police. Having small children or being a foreign visitor who can't find another hotel is not going to earn you any sympathy. Apparently they sometimes just insult you rather than kicking you out, but then again these seemed to be travelers who were checking out.

I assumed that it was just an unbalanced office manager, but I got the Travelodge franchisee on the phone and Anal (a typical Indian name, not a critique) appears to be the source of this madness. He told me he could have accommodated my wife and kids if he felt like, but she was a "liar" for having a booking for two adults trying to "sneak" our kids in. However, he told her he did not have any rooms. Who is the liar? Again, this is consistent with the other 40+ reports. Travelers generally mention Anal or Oscar going crazy on them, making up crazy lies or trying to take their money. Is it like a "gotcha" game to them? It is just so crazy and horrible.

Maybe they have lots of problems given the bad neighborhood, or the owner just has bad days. Obviously they think their customers are ### and they don't have to take any lip. But no other hotel anywhere has all these crazy reports, and imagine how many more people have not posted anything. Even this hotel only has these horrendous reports since this particular manager took over in 2008.

Travelodge La Mesa also has extremely positive reviews, much more in volume and rating than any other Travelodge or small hotel in San Diego, and based on review scores is apparently one of the top hotels in San Diego County, higher rated than the Hyatt Regency, US Grant, or the Omni. Judge for yourself if that seems plausible. The reviews are either glowing "5s" or experiences like ours. Positive reviews say it is cleaner and quieter than the average Travelodge. Apparently if they decide you are a "good" guest they are very nice. But judging from loads of crazy stories, you cannot predict what will set them off. Don't use a discount booking, don't ask questions, don't have any special requests, and don't complain. Otherwise you may get a nasty surprise like my family did. Is the risk worth a two star hotel room that is rated a little cleaner and a little quieter? On the plus side, they can recommend another hotel actually run by drug dealers after they kick you out.

fraud!!!

I booked tickets to legoland discovery center online with my debit card via their website which actually goe...

unacceptable service

I booked this hotel through Expedia for 4 nights (12/30/10 through 1/2/11). My son and I were traveling for a long weekend. On our flight out to Phoenix, we were delayed in Philadelphia for 29 hours. We contacted Expedia and in turn, they contacted the hotel which held the room for us. When we arrived on 12/31/10 later in the day, we were put in room 205. The room was never cleaned (the sheets were dirty, the bathroom filthy, items were broken in the bathroom such as the toilet paper roller and shower control, and there were signs of mold in the bathroom). We were so tired that we slept that night on top of the bed covers with our clothes on. It was utterly disgusting. The neighborhood in which the hotel was located was not safe at all. The next morning, when we were heading out for breakfast, we noted four of Phoenix's finest police cars in front of the hotel. Later that morning, we asked to speak to the manager. He was not available. We asked when he would be back and were told that he'd be there at 2 pm. At 2 pm, he wasn't there and we complained to the front desk about these issues. We were told to wait for the manager. Expedia advised us to check out if we were not satisfied with the hotel. We did that and found a Days Inn in Scottsdale much more to our liking.

Since that time, Expedia has been trying to contact the manager to seek a partial refund on our stay. The manager has never been accessible when they've called (even after 2 pm when we are told he would be there).

We stayed one night out of four at this location. The manager's position has been to ignore us and keep the guaranteed money. It was only when we contacted Travelodge directly that the manager did contact Expedia to refund us for two of the nights. We expected a refund for the three nights we did not stay at this location. Given the conditions, they really should not have charged at all since this room was not in condition to be used.

Upon further contact with Travelodge corporate, they have taken the position that they cannot control what an individual manager does and that we should be satisfied with this outcome. This is totally unacceptable. Corporate should take responsibility to do the right thing.

changed bookings

In August, on our behalf, my niece booked 5 rooms including 2 family rooms for the weekend September 25th at the Innkeepers Lodge in Liverpool. This was for family from various locations for a family party and was a good opportunity to spend time together. Subsequently Innkeepers Lodge was taken over by Travelodge who embarked on alterations and refurbishment, and in the process did away with the family rooms. This did not happen by magic, overnight and must have been preplanned. However my niecewasnot notified of this until 9.oopm on the evening before . The 2 families were accommodated in flats in the centre of Liverpool, a city that they did not know. One of the families took one and a half hours trying to find the Lever Court Apartments and consequently were very late for the family party. The flats although they had obviously been nice initially were grubby and obviously used by too many hen parties and stag nights. One was very small, with the oven door hanging off, and lights not working.In the event they were not charged for these rooms, but this does not alter the fact that by telling us so late of the changes we had no time to make alterations to our plans, and they caused a lot of disruption and disappointment which earlier notice could have prevented. In addition My husband and I live 50 minutes away and had only decided to stay overnight at the Innkeepers Lodge /Travelodge in order to be with the families. We were charged for breakfast although it was supposed to be included on our originally booking. ( an airport style bagged affair -very poor ) so we wasted £74 in total that we can ill afford.
We had no complaint about the actual travelodge it was the inadequate service by the hotel booking team who caused our problems.

• Yo
    yortega Jun 05, 2015

i agree with complaint, we rented a room in long beach Travelodge convention center mind you, beds were dirty, room stinked
    I will never use Travelodge or any other hotel connected with them. I was very disappointed . yortega Arizona

dirty

we stayed for one night in a family room in this travelodge in the city of Preston we arrived late as we had...

Preston Hotels

very bad customer service

The manager of Travelodge La Mesa, an Indian by the name of Anal Shah, has a habit of asking people to leave...

hotel staff is horrible and abusive

false advertisement

A friend of mine was booking four rooms at a travelodge in Bath so that we could go to bath for the weeknd to have a spa weekend to celebrate our mothers birthdays. She selected what she wanted on their website and it came up with the total price for the four rooms and it was showing them all avalible so she clicked on the pay button. then next screen she had come up said it had taken the money for one room so she pressed cancel as this was wrong it was ment to be four rooms. It then told her the other three rooms weren't available so its just taken payment for one room.

We are so upset about this because they should not have taken the payment for the one room before teling us we couldnt have the four that we asked for. One room was no good to us and it was the websites misstake but they refuse to refund her money.

They made her believe she could have the four rooms then took the money for one without telling her. Its false advertising and they have stolen her money. We have reported it to citizens advise and waiting to hear back.

• Le
    leo81 Nov 26, 2009

So basically, you messed up on the website when you made the booking! Your fault. CAB wont do a thing.

disgusting room

Do not rent a room at this location. The first appearance of the jacuzzi in the room was clean, once you fill it and turn it on, a yellow ### appears floating on the water and it builds up a yellow ring around the tub. This scared me to thinking of germs of prior rental use. The bed in their jacuzzi room is hard as a rock.
Upon registering my complaint with Travelodge Headquarters, the Franchise Headquarters said they couldnt do anything about my problem, that it would be referred to the local hotel to deal with.
The response from the local end was not satisfactory, and this will have to be taken up with another source.

bad company

I've been calling periodically for the last 2 days to change my husband's reservation from 2 nights to 1 night. No one was answering, and there was no way to leave a message (phone just kept ringing). Additionally, I couldn't respond to the confirmation email (it's a do-not-reply email address).

FINALLY, the manager, Gary Dent, answered the phone, and actually ARGUED with me that he had been there the entire time, and that I was lying about calling! Additionally, to add insult to injury, since I didn't get through to the hotel (even though I was calling, and no one was answering) within 48 hours prior to the change, we were still going to be charged for the Friday night that my husband wasn't going to be there. What a rip off!!!

I've read many of the other complaints - it's a bad company that has no regard for their guests.

rude, vulgar and verbally abusive manager

Manager Kelly at the facility was rude, vulgar and verbally abusive to my wife. This women had her so scared that my wife lock herself in the room for the night and checked out first thing in the morning. I call this "Manager" to find out what the problem was and she went off on me on the phone and accused my wife of propositioning two people in her staff and that my wife was drunk and I was just as big a rude S.O.B. an my wife.

This happend at the Reno Travellodge & Suites Airport, 2050B Market St.

The General Manager is A.J. Dutt and the owner is Calvin Abe.

• Valerie Oct 01, 2007

Absolute crooks. Run the shadiest place in town. Room are crappy, elevator didn't work, pool was green. Definitely do NOT recommend.

• Ms
    Ms.Vicki *The*FAM* Aug 20, 2018

I reserved a room canceled on time, was told it was refunded ..I still have the charge. Please contact me and help resolve this.

• Ke
    Ken1942 Sep 10, 2018

There was no Wifi service to room 116 during my stay on the night of Sunday 9/17/17. Account 415-092950. It would connect to the router for about 10 seconds but never provided an Internet connection.

• Ro
    Ronald Gathers Jun 01, 2019

When I checked in 5/7/19 at San Yasidro, ca. Room #150.When I got home next day was itching all overmy stomack and shoulders After going to irgent care doctor said it was bedbug bites.
    Also the room carpet had many, many stains and smelled like dirty driveway.had payed in advace for room big mistake.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices