Toyotascion iq 2012 blizzard white paint peeling

K Review updated:

Hello,

The paint is peeling off of my Scion IQ 2012. I saw online that this is a common problem. Here is one link http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/174638-paint-problems-with-2009-iq/

Can I take this to a Toyota dealership and have it repainted for free? Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

Kristina Klemmer
167 Little Washington Rd
Downingtown PA 19335
[protected]

Thanks

• Updated by k18951 · Nov 27, 2017

Please see my complain above.

charlottehyland Jan 27, 2018

I'm having the same exact issue. Got my local dealership to cover the costs to repaint the room after months of fighting with them about it, but now the side panel started peeling and is horrendous.

• La
    Laura Shelton Jul 20, 2018

@charlottehyland I have a 2012 Pearl Blizzard White. The paint is doing same as the picture you posted but all over the car! This is Scion/Toyota's fault NOT ours! I read there is a defect in the paint adhering...perhaps the primer? How do we get our cars repainted BEFORE they begin to RUST? Do we need to file a class action law suit? [email protected]

@Laura Shelton Hello Laura
    I have same IQ2012 pearl white.
    It's started peeling off 2018 summer.
    I contacted to Toyota Canada and Toyota main office in Japan.
    The paint is something wrong.
    Many IQ pearl white owner have same problem around the world. I am Japanese in Canada.
    We should do a class action.
    I didn't know how to start first.
    I have contacted to one Maryland lady.
    already.
    [email protected]
    Maya Nakagawa

@Laura Shelton Hello Laura
    My problem is exactly same as you.
    I am Japanese in Canada.
    Do you have any idea ?
    Maya
    Maya

Deborahjn Mar 01, 2019

@Laura Shelton Just went to the Class Action News and am trying to start a claim, if it works EVERYBODY needs to get on board. The paint is called Blizzard Pearl.

• Vi
    Vincent Phan Apr 22, 2019

@Deborahjn any update on this?

• Ni
    Nick Cambridge Aug 22, 2019

@Vincent Phan Yes please let me know as well.
    [email protected]
    They covered the cost of repainting only on effected areas for me in 2016. Now the hatch is peeling and they say the vehicle doesn’t qualify for warranty.

charlottehyland Jan 27, 2018

Roof* not room

• Ji
    Jill Baxter Mar 20, 2018

I have a Toyota iq 2011. Today I have noticed that the pain on the roof is pending of quite badly. I bought the car in April 2015. I want toyota to fixs this for me I don't think this is acceptable. I am so angry. Plus I have magior health problems. I need my car because I am disabled. My email address is [email protected] Phone number 01418821029.

• Gs
    GSartin Jul 24, 2018

My 2012 Scion has begun to have the paint peel on the roof and a couple other locations. Was told by Customer Service ( who was very polite) that they would need to see a trend to be able to assist in doing something to fix it. Anyone reading this please call Toyota 1 800 331 2621 and make a complaint so they can have more data to help us out. Additionally, it would be great if Toyota googled the issue to see that it is already a trend with the Owners of the white Scion IQ's.

• Df
    DF1 Aug 02, 2018

Yes the same thing also happened with my Scion 2012, paint started peeling by the left back window, then on the roof. I called Toyota and they just said the warranty was only 2 to 3 years so there was nothing I could do. I think hopefully the more people call Toyota 1 800 331 2621 then maybe we can be helped.

• Bk
    BKNelson Oct 07, 2018

Same issue as lots of us that Toyota also won't acknowledge. I've got a 2013 RAV4 with the infamous Blizzard Pearl paint that I paid extra for, too. I've created a Facebook page to hopefully bring all the various forums together - please consider posting your pics/situation there so we can hopefully get their attention that way. Spread the word - the more the better! https://www.facebook.com/groups/288416678661392/

Christine Hajduk Glanz Nov 07, 2018

@BKNelson Couldn’t find this group...

• Na
    NanW Apr 20, 2019

@Christine Hajduk Glanz copy and past the url, it works as of April 20, 2019.

Christine Hajduk Glanz Nov 07, 2018

Same issue here. Started small patch around January. Today the entire roof peeled off in sheets. Underneath, it is super smooth and shiny. No wonder it didn’t adhere. I am calling... Maaco said would remain roof for 350 with 5 year warranty.

Christine Hajduk Glanz Nov 07, 2018

@Christine Hajduk Glanz Repaint...

Christine Hajduk Glanz Nov 07, 2018

I called scion customer service. 1-866-707-2466. Same results as everyone else. I asked if my complaint is lodged in a database, and he said it is. Case number 1811072482.

• Ra
    RasidaRose Nov 15, 2018

They referred me to this: 800-331-4331 the customer experience number. I don't have time to wait on hold right now but will be issuing a complaint as soon as I can. The paint of my 2012 (bought new in 13) white Scion XB is peeling off down to the metal. This is definitely Toyota's fault.

Maya Nakagawa Jan 23, 2019

I have Toyota IQ 2012 pearl white in Canada.
    My IQ have been peeling off problem 2018 summer.
    Then I contacted Toyota Canada customer service and Toyota head office in Japan.
    The pearl white paint is something wrong.
    I am Japanese in Canada.
    How should we do a class action?

Mfm77 Jun 13, 2019

@Maya Nakagawa Yes let me know!!

• Qu
    QuiteRandomMel Jan 31, 2019

2012 Scion IQ pearl white paint (I don't know if that is the official name of the paint but that's what it looks like, it's iridescent) - same issue! First it was the roof, I thought it was an isolated issue. The dealership said they couldn't do anything about it, sent me to the body shop & they said it was a factory defect! I finally paid to have it painted, and now another part of the car is peeling (above the drivers door and along the top back of the same panel). I have called 1-800-331-4331 and 1-866-707-2466 and made a complaint (case # 1901311332) - both numbers got me to the same exact representative lol. I also talked to a manager. They assured me there isn't much they can do, so I assured them I'd be calling daily until Toyota recognizes the issue and does something about it. I also lodged a complaint with the NHTSA. Here's my email address if anyone wants to get in touch: [email protected] I don't feel like I should have to pay to repaint the entire car when this is clearly Toyota's problem.

• Mu
    murrayjodie Feb 14, 2019

Well, I thought I got lucky and managed to avoid the paint problem, but nope. My 2012 blizzard pearl IQ just started peeling on top after the weather turned cold here in Arkansas. The paint is flaking off in quarter-sized sheets, with smooth metal primer underneath. I called Toyota, made an official complaint, and was told the same thing ... there's nothing they can do. Shame on them for not helping us with this obvious EXPENSIVE defect!

Deborahjn Mar 01, 2019

Same with my paint on my 2013 Scion IQ Blizzard pearl paint. I am going to look into opening a class action suit. Will keep you up to date. This is bullshit !

• Je
    JenHCanada Mar 06, 2019

@Deborahjn Were you able to start a claim? How does this work? I have same problem with my 2012 Scion. Is there a cost? How do we all participate in this claim so that it is a class action?

Mfm77 Jun 13, 2019

@JenHCanada Yes please let me know!!

Mfm77 Jun 13, 2019

@JenHCanada Please let me know!! Paint started to peel off last year in November!! My name is 2012 xb!!

• Ry
    Ryan Houghton Mar 19, 2019

I have the same problem with 2011 RAV4. Is there any updated info on a class action ?

• Na
    NanW Apr 20, 2019

I have had the same problem. Purchased my 2012 new, paid nearly 1, 000 for the roof to be repainted, then other parts of the car began peeling. So unfair. gently used, 33, 000 miles on it- Toyota will do nothing at the local level. I am ready to join class action.

• Sc
    ScionPoorboy Jun 25, 2019

I have contacted two local dealers and they are willing to write estimates and submit to Toyota .. first one was that my car was out of warranty .. the second said they might get Toyota to cover it because of Customer Loyalty (Currently have 5 Toyota products 2 being Scions and fortunately 3 are 2012 but only one is White.) but I am sure i will get the same response .. here are some of the latest ..6 months after a little tiny spot started

• Wh
    WhiteScion Jul 11, 2019

I took my 2012 White Scion xB to the dealer about a month ago for this issue.

They inspected the whole car and took pictures of the areas that were peeling and even found spots that I wasn't aware of yet. The Service Consultant submitted the pictures to their body shop and said when the shop approves/confirms the repainting in 3-4 week they will call back. Wrote up my service paperwork and told me to call back if I don't hear anything in about a month. Everyone I talked to was very helpful and supportive and also seemed amazed that this is happening. I left feeling very optimistic.

It has been 6 weeks so I just called Toyota to follow up about. The same consultant was very nice and said that he has been flooded with the same requests and needed to talk to his manager about how they are going about requests that have been previously submitted. He came back and confirmed all my information, went into more detail about how many of these requests have been submitted after mine, and told me that a representative from corporate will be coming out to do their own inspections of the vehicles. He forwarded my information to his director and I should be getting a call soon to schedule another inspection. Which may be a good thing because more paint has started to peel.

tl;dr Toyota has received a lot more of these complaints recently and it seems like they are really working to fix it... I hope.. So take your peeling car in!

• Je
    JenHCanada Aug 06, 2019

@WhiteScion Are you in Canada? Mine is peeling as well and Toyota Canada seemed to think I was the only Canadian with this problem. Who can I call to add my VIN to the list of Scion XB's that are peeling?