Menu

Toyota  -  scion iq 2012 blizzard white paint peeling

K
Author of the complaint
1:31 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hello,

The paint is peeling off of my Scion IQ 2012. I saw online that this is a common problem. Here is one link http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/174638-paint-problems-with-2009-iq/

Can I take this to a Toyota dealership and have it repainted for free? Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

Kristina Klemmer
167 Little Washington Rd
Downingtown PA 19335
[protected]

Thanks

Update by k18951
Nov 27, 2017 11:46 am

Please see my complain above.

34 comments
Apr 12, 2022 3:22 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

For those in Canada I just talked to someone at Toyota Canada and there may be hope! Apparently there is a Warranty Enhancement Program in Canada (W40) that could cover this up to 10 years from the first registration. I had contacted the dealership twice before and was told both times there was no "recall". I guess in Canada I should have been asking for a "warranty enhancement program". The customer service guy was super nice and helpful though and gave me the right information to reference to the dealership. Just waiting on a call back from them now.

W
Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm

I took my 2012 White Scion xB to the dealer about a month ago for this issue.

They inspected the whole car and took pictures of the areas that were peeling and even found spots that I wasn't aware of yet. The Service Consultant submitted the pictures to their body shop and said when the shop approves/confirms the repainting in 3-4 week they will call back. Wrote up my service paperwork and told me to call back if I don't hear anything in about a month. Everyone I talked to was very helpful and supportive and also seemed amazed that this is happening. I left feeling very optimistic.

It has been 6 weeks so I just called Toyota to follow up about. The same consultant was very nice and said that he has been flooded with the same requests and needed to talk to his manager about how they are going about requests that have been previously submitted. He came back and confirmed all my information, went into more detail about how many of these requests have been submitted after mine, and told me that a representative from corporate will be coming out to do their own inspections of the vehicles. He forwarded my information to his director and I should be getting a call soon to schedule another inspection. Which may be a good thing because more paint has started to peel.

tl;dr Toyota has received a lot more of these complaints recently and it seems like they are really working to fix it... I hope.. So take your peeling car in!

Aug 06, 2019 10:17 am
Replying to comment of WhiteScion

Are you in Canada? Mine is peeling as well and Toyota Canada seemed to think I was the only Canadian with this problem. Who can I call to add my VIN to the list of Scion XB's that are peeling?

Apr 12, 2022 3:26 pm
Replying to comment of JenHCanada

Not sure if this is too late but I just talked to Toyota Canada about my 2012 Scion iQ with the same issue and they said there may be a "Warranty Enhancement Program" that would cover it from 10 years past it's first registration. It is W40. Just waiting to hear back from the dealership but I've been told no twice with them stating there were no "recalls". Maybe I was just using the wrong language?

S
Jun 25, 2019 12:03 am

I have contacted two local dealers and they are willing to write estimates and submit to Toyota .. first one was that my car was out of warranty .. the second said they might get Toyota to cover it because of Customer Loyalty (Currently have 5 Toyota products 2 being Scions and fortunately 3 are 2012 but only one is White.) but I am sure i will get the same response .. here are some of the latest ..6 months after a little tiny spot started

Apr 20, 2019 8:59 pm

I have had the same problem. Purchased my 2012 new, paid nearly 1, 000 for the roof to be repainted, then other parts of the car began peeling. So unfair. gently used, 33, 000 miles on it- Toyota will do nothing at the local level. I am ready to join class action.

R
Mar 19, 2019 8:22 pm

I have the same problem with 2011 RAV4. Is there any updated info on a class action ?

Mar 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Mar 06, 2019 1:44 pm
Replying to comment of Deborahjn

Were you able to start a claim? How does this work? I have same problem with my 2012 Scion. Is there a cost? How do we all participate in this claim so that it is a class action?

Jun 13, 2019 3:25 am

Yes please let me know!

Jun 13, 2019 3:26 am
Replying to comment of JenHCanada

Please let me know! Paint started to peel off last year in November! My name is 2012 xb!

Mar 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Same with my paint on my 2013 Scion IQ Blizzard pearl paint. I am going to look into opening a class action suit. Will keep you up to date. This is [censored] !

Feb 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Well, I thought I got lucky and managed to avoid the paint problem, but nope. My 2012 blizzard pearl IQ just started peeling on top after the weather turned cold here in Arkansas. The paint is flaking off in quarter-sized sheets, with smooth metal primer underneath. I called Toyota, made an official complaint, and was told the same thing ... there's nothing they can do. Shame on them for not helping us with this obvious EXPENSIVE defect!

Q
Jan 31, 2019 12:20 pm

2012 Scion IQ pearl white paint (I don't know if that is the official name of the paint but that's what it looks like, it's iridescent) - same issue! First it was the roof, I thought it was an isolated issue. The dealership said they couldn't do anything about it, sent me to the body shop & they said it was a factory defect! I finally paid to have it painted, and now another part of the car is peeling (above the drivers door and along the top back of the same panel). I have called [protected] and [protected] and made a complaint (case # [protected]) - both numbers got me to the same exact representative lol. I also talked to a manager. They assured me there isn't much they can do, so I assured them I'd be calling daily until Toyota recognizes the issue and does something about it. I also lodged a complaint with the NHTSA. Here's my email address if anyone wants to get in touch: [email protected] I don't feel like I should have to pay to repaint the entire car when this is clearly Toyota's problem.

Jan 23, 2019 8:11 pm

I have Toyota IQ 2012 pearl white in Canada.
My IQ have been peeling off problem 2018 summer.
Then I contacted Toyota Canada customer service and Toyota head office in Japan.
The pearl white paint is something wrong.
I am Japanese in Canada.
How should we do a class action?

Jun 13, 2019 3:36 am

Yes let me know!

R
Nov 15, 2018 9:16 am

They referred me to this: [protected] the customer experience number. I don't have time to wait on hold right now but will be issuing a complaint as soon as I can. The paint of my 2012 (bought new in 13) white Scion XB is peeling off down to the metal. This is definitely Toyota's fault.

Nov 07, 2018 3:53 pm

I called scion customer service. [protected]. Same results as everyone else. I asked if my complaint is lodged in a database, and he said it is. Case number [protected].

Nov 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Same issue here. Started small patch around January. Today the entire roof peeled off in sheets. Underneath, it is super smooth and shiny. No wonder it didn’t adhere. I am calling... Maaco said would remain roof for 350 with 5 year warranty.

Nov 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Repaint...

B
Oct 07, 2018 2:04 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Same issue as lots of us that Toyota also won't acknowledge. I've got a 2013 RAV4 with the infamous Blizzard Pearl paint that I paid extra for, too. I've created a Facebook page to hopefully bring all the various forums together - please consider posting your pics/situation there so we can hopefully get their attention that way. Spread the word - the more the better! https://www.facebook.com/groups/288416678661392/

Nov 07, 2018 3:11 pm
Replying to comment of BKNelson

Couldn’t find this group...

Apr 20, 2019 9:09 pm

copy and past the url, it works as of April 20, 2019.

Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Yes the same thing also happened with my Scion 2012, paint started peeling by the left back window, then on the roof. I called Toyota and they just said the warranty was only 2 to 3 years so there was nothing I could do. I think hopefully the more people call Toyota [protected] then maybe we can be helped.

G
Jul 24, 2018 3:35 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

My 2012 Scion has begun to have the paint peel on the roof and a couple other locations. Was told by Customer Service ( who was very polite) that they would need to see a trend to be able to assist in doing something to fix it. Anyone reading this please call Toyota [protected] and make a complaint so they can have more data to help us out. Additionally, it would be great if Toyota googled the issue to see that it is already a trend with the Owners of the white Scion IQ's.

Mar 20, 2018 9:11 am

I have a Toyota iq 2011. Today I have noticed that the pain on the roof is pending of quite badly. I bought the car in April 2015. I want toyota to fixs this for me I don't think this is acceptable. I am so angry. Plus I have magior health problems. I need my car because I am disabled. My email address is [email protected] Phone number [protected].

Jan 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Roof* not room

Jan 27, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm having the same exact issue. Got my local dealership to cover the costs to repaint the room after months of fighting with them about it, but now the side panel started peeling and is horrendous.

L
Jul 20, 2018 10:21 pm

I have a 2012 Pearl Blizzard White. The paint is doing same as the picture you posted but all over the car! This is Scion/Toyota's fault NOT ours! I read there is a defect in the paint adhering...perhaps the primer? How do we get our cars repainted BEFORE they begin to RUST? Do we need to file a class action law suit? [email protected]

Jan 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Hello Laura
I have same IQ2012 pearl white.
It's started peeling off 2018 summer.
I contacted to Toyota Canada and Toyota main office in Japan.
The paint is something wrong.
Many IQ pearl white owner have same problem around the world. I am Japanese in Canada.
We should do a class action.
I didn't know how to start first.
I have contacted to one Maryland lady.
already.
[email protected]
Maya Nakagawa

Jan 23, 2019 8:14 pm

Hello Laura
My problem is exactly same as you.
I am Japanese in Canada.
Do you have any idea ?
Maya
Maya

Mar 01, 2019 7:15 pm

Just went to the Class Action News and am trying to start a claim, if it works EVERYBODY needs to get on board. The paint is called Blizzard Pearl.

V
Apr 22, 2019 4:51 pm
Replying to comment of Deborahjn

any update on this?

Aug 22, 2019 10:51 am

Yes please let me know as well.
[email protected]
They covered the cost of repainting only on effected areas for me in 2016. Now the hatch is peeling and they say the vehicle doesn’t qualify for warranty.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

1103 complaints